What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Carolina Panthers: Owner Hires the Next Panthers Future Ex-Coach (1 Viewer)

Love your posts and appreciate you keeping this place afloat but I strongly disagree.  When were we winning?  When Cmac was crushing it.  Couple of freak injuries IMO.  Reminds me of Fred Taylor.  Volume doesn't make these guys more injury prone.  It's being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
He had over 700 touches in 2 seasons.  You seriously cannot argue that volume and touches dont affect his durability. 

He had over 700 touches in 2 seasons.  You seriously cannot argue that volume and touches dont affect his durability. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666061X21000808#:~:text=Results,seasons%2C 3%2C025 injuries were reported.&text=There was a significant increase,3 recent past NFL seasons.

Basically more injuries happen in pre-season and weeks 1-4 than later in the year.

I don't think less than a touch a day over two years impact durability as much as increased athletic exposure.  Let's say the average player is injured once every 700 exposures.  Off course the player getting to 700 exposures first will be injured more often statistically speaking.

You may be a 50% safer driver than me but if you drive 30k miles a year and I drive 10k, you are more likely to have an accident.

Steve Wilks back with the Panthers.  Great hire for Rhule.  

Coaching staff has definitely had a nice injection of NFL experience.  

Joe Person @josephperson

Amid multiple reports that Panthers will meet with Deshaun Watson, I'm told Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer are not in the office today.

Good day for the Panthers. Watson doesn't go in the division. They don't trade multiple picks/CMC for a creep. Extend DJ Moore. Sign two dudes who should start on the interior of the OL.

I love DJ Moore. I feel for him stuck with that team for another 4 years. He's way way way more talented than Darnold can use. I've been tempted to buy in FF, but man that's a tough call. 

Maybe CAR brings in JimmyG or Mariota, or some other QB who isn't utterly terrible. Darnold most certainly isn't the answer, though I respect that they're seemingly improving the OL. 

I love DJ Moore. I feel for him stuck with that team for another 4 years. He's way way way more talented than Darnold can use. I've been tempted to buy in FF, but man that's a tough call. 

Maybe CAR brings in JimmyG or Mariota, or some other QB who isn't utterly terrible. Darnold most certainly isn't the answer, though I respect that they're seemingly improving the OL. 
DJ's inability to score is really baffling and goes across QBs.

A high-level backup on a cheap deal for competition would make sense. It would be foolish (IMO) to give up substantial resources for a QB when you have a coach that has shown little and probably will be fired. Someone will likely jump them for Willis.

Sheena Quick @Sheena_Marie3

Per sources, the #Panthers have had conversations with Cam Newton regarding a return. I’m told nothing is imminent; will wait to see how the off-season plays out.

Probably a wise move whether or not they go QB in the draft. As long as everyone realizes he isn't good enough to be the starter and should just come in for short yardage situation (where he is still elite IMO).

Now that the Watson thing is over, time to focus on the draft. What to do with #6?

I wouldn't mind if they could trade back and pick up another pick or two to help offset the Darnold trade if they can.  Not sure about Pickett or Willis (risk/reward?)

Trade back to mid/late first and look at Corral?  Or ride with Darnold another year and build out the roster?

Glad they aren't trading for Mayfield or Cousins. Hope they don't trade for Jimmy G.  

If a top 2 OT is there at 6 I wouldn't mind going that route to build the line.

Now that the Watson thing is over, time to focus on the draft. What to do with #6?

I wouldn't mind if they could trade back and pick up another pick or two to help offset the Darnold trade if they can.  Not sure about Pickett or Willis (risk/reward?)

Trade back to mid/late first and look at Corral?  Or ride with Darnold another year and build out the roster?

Glad they aren't trading for Mayfield or Cousins. Hope they don't trade for Jimmy G.  

If a top 2 OT is there at 6 I wouldn't mind going that route to build the line.
There are rumblings that the #6 is an option to a "QB NEEDY" team who wants to make a move up. 

This was PRIOR to the recent QB Pro-days with Rhule in attendance.  So no telling if it remains avail. 

I actually thought Darnold would be better than what we saw in NY.  Not sure if the whole new Offense Scheme was a struggle or if he is not what the scouts thought he was as Top 3 QB Pick in 2018.  

More discussions on why Panthers Owner David Tepper has ruffled feathers: 

Build of a new 240 Acre Sports Complex fell apart

“The bottom line is that our community deserves answers,” Climer said. “The city, the county, the state and the Panthers worked together constructively for a considerable period of time at great effort to bring to Rock Hill a world-class sports entertainment center. David Tepper came to Rock Hill promising us Jerry Jones and ever since then he’s given us Dan Snyder.”

There's a good bit of editorial inserted in that article, but I'm not familiar with that site so maybe that's their style. But it seems to me the main beef would be with Rock Hill and the SC legislature. 

There's a good bit of editorial inserted in that article, but I'm not familiar with that site so maybe that's their style. But it seems to me the main beef would be with Rock Hill and the SC legislature. 

Seems like Rock Hill outkicked their coverage a bit. Yet, Tepper's whole scheme seems to be to play local governments against each other for tax incentives while he enjoys the deprecation tax benefits from buying Carolina.

The whole thing is particularly odious.  Hard to imagine being a billionaire many times over and making this your focus.

Seems like Rock Hill outkicked their coverage a bit. Yet, Tepper's whole scheme seems to be to play local governments against each other for tax incentives while he enjoys the deprecation tax benefits from buying Carolina.

The whole thing is particularly odious.  Hard to imagine being a billionaire many times over and making this your focus.

Definitely. But that's near par for the course in the economic development world, and billionaires don't make that kind of money being easy going. 

Heard Pickett, then heard Willis, then heard OT, then heard trade down... then heard Pickett/Willis again. 

I'd prefer they trade the pick back to mid-first round and try to obtain another pick or two.  Maybe look at Ridder or Howell further back if they want a QB.  Either way, let Darnold run the ship while the new QB (whoever it may be) isn't thrown into the fire on day one.  

If their target OT is there, draft him.  In any case, they need to build up the OL.   Work on that and look for the franchise QB later (next year's draft or FA/trade).  It isn't like we are one special piece from contending for a SB.  

Ugh.  At what cost?  More draft picks that we don't have?  If it were Darnold for Mayfield straight up, yes. 

Ugh.  At what cost?  More draft picks that we don't have?  If it were Darnold for Mayfield straight up, yes. 
How about Robby Anderson straight up? 

Or more likely a day 3 pick. Or at the rate it going, a swap of day 3 picks. Like Mayfield and a 7 for a 5?

How about Robby Anderson straight up? 

Or more likely a day 3 pick. Or at the rate it going, a swap of day 3 picks. Like Mayfield and a 7 for a 5?

Yes, I think the latter trade would be good.  Just don't want to keep giving day one-two draft picks for a middle tier QB whose salary will eat into more cap space.  At least a rookie will be on a rookie deal during development.  I know Rhule probably doesn't have a lot of time or long leash but you'd think the GM does to build this team. 

So glad they went OT instead of reaching for a QB.  I like the pick and actually thought he'd be gone by the 6th. Hopefully Ekwonu can be an anchor on the line for many years to come.  

Always nice when a player wants to play in Charlotte as he's a fan of the Panthers.  His parents seemed thrilled too. It was a nice story/interview.

Think Fitterer is looking to trade up into the 2nd?  We don't have many picks to offer but the AJ Brown trade to Philly was a surprise, imo.  Anyone come to mind in terms of a player trade?  Robbie Anderson?  

Bring back Cam.  Give CMC some more backup and maybe we can just run the wildcat this year.
Honestly, as much as I don't believe in Darnold, they would be far better off giving him one more chance to show something - and if he continues to struggle (most likely) then they take a QB next year. It isn't like Cam, Jimmy G or Baker are going to come in and win a Super Bowl anyway - it's unlikely any even lead them to the playoffs.

Honestly, as much as I don't believe in Darnold, they would be far better off giving him one more chance to show something - and if he continues to struggle (most likely) then they take a QB next year. It isn't like Cam, Jimmy G or Baker are going to come in and win a Super Bowl anyway - it's unlikely any even lead them to the playoffs.

Agree. I don't want to give up any more to get Jimmy or Baker.  As you say, we aren't contending for a SB right now. Get some more mileage out of Sam and keep looking for the franchise guy.  

Darnold's contract pretty much dictates one more year right? I'm thinking Rhule is likely gone with no playoffs this season, so getting the OT now sets up for likely new QB and HC next season. GM making a smart play.

Yes, 100%. Not worth the assets for a team in a rebuild. Throw Darnold out there. Maybe a miracle occurs. If not, you draft a QB with a high pick in a better QB draft next year into a team with a better OL and likely getting better. 

So we gave up an early 4th and next year's (most likely to be a top 8 pick in the 3rd) 3rd round pick for a late 3rd round pick this year. To get a QB who may or may not be better than Sam Darnold.  It felt like a reach to me. I like Corral but not sure if he's the guy. 

This was a great trade for New England.

Feels a little like spending a 3rd on Will Grier.  At least back then it was just a 3rd.  This time we added next year's 3rd as well.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and Corral pays off.  But at least this will stop all the nonsense about over-trading for Baker Mayfield and paying him stupid money to be mediocre. 

I hope Fitts finds some late round gems today! 

Panthers draft picks

Round 1, Pick 6: Ikem Ekwonu, OT, N.C. State
Round 3, Pick 94 (from NE): Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
Round 4, Pick 120 (from WAS): Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State
Round 6, Pick 189 (from WAS): Amare Barno, EDGE, Virginia Tech
Round 6, Pick 199 (from LV): Cade Mays, OL, Tennessee
Round 7, Pick 242 (from NE via MIA): Kalon Barnes, CB, Baylor

Panthers undrafted free agents

Davis Cheek, QB, Elon
Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami
Khalon Tolson, LB, Illinois
Andrew Parchment, WR, Florida State
Josh Babicz, TE, North Dakota State

I'm not disappointed with the draft. Ekwonu is a great addition to a revamped OL.  Hopefully Cade Mays can develop into a nice backup or better.  Matt will get his chance.  Looking forward to seeing him battle Sam Darnold.  I do think Sam will have some success behind the new OL.  Maybe he'll step up and prove he's the guy... well, you know.

Don't know much about Barno and Barnes, but it shouldn't be surprising that Rhule was going to dip into his beloved Baylor pool at least once.  Kalon is fast, that's for sure.  Can he cover?  IDK.  Guess they have him in mind for return teams, with that speed.

I do like the B. Smith pick.  Feels a need at LB.  

Rambo on the UDFA list could be interesting.  I wish they'd bring in Justyn Ross, though.  I know his medical conditions has scared every team off but it's amazing to me that he isn't signed yet.  

Panthers draft picks

Round 1, Pick 6: Ikem Ekwonu, OT, N.C. State
Round 3, Pick 94 (from NE): Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
Round 4, Pick 120 (from WAS): Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State
Round 6, Pick 189 (from WAS): Amare Barno, EDGE, Virginia Tech
Round 6, Pick 199 (from LV): Cade Mays, OL, Tennessee
Round 7, Pick 242 (from NE via MIA): Kalon Barnes, CB, Baylor

Panthers undrafted free agents

Davis Cheek, QB, Elon
Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami
Khalon Tolson, LB, Illinois
Andrew Parchment, WR, Florida State
Josh Babicz, TE, North Dakota State

I'm not disappointed with the draft. Ekwonu is a great addition to a revamped OL.  Hopefully Cade Mays can develop into a nice backup or better.  Matt will get his chance.  Looking forward to seeing him battle Sam Darnold.  I do think Sam will have some success behind the new OL.  Maybe he'll step up and prove he's the guy... well, you know.

Don't know much about Barno and Barnes, but it shouldn't be surprising that Rhule was going to dip into his beloved Baylor pool at least once.  Kalon is fast, that's for sure.  Can he cover?  IDK.  Guess they have him in mind for return teams, with that speed.

I do like the B. Smith pick.  Feels a need at LB.  

Rambo on the UDFA list could be interesting.  I wish they'd bring in Justyn Ross, though.  I know his medical conditions has scared every team off but it's amazing to me that he isn't signed yet.  
Solid C draft.  Great tackle and then not too much from there.  Smith is a special teamer and Barno is a Burns clone without the high end motor. 

Not sure what to think about Corral.  I hope they did their homework because the offense he was in at Ol miss doesnt resemble anything that a pro team will run.  One read boom throw.  He didnt throw long often and he struggles when he tries so I really dont know what to think. 

Week 1 - Browns

Week 2 - @ Giants

Week 3 - Saints

Week 4 - Cardinals

Week 5 - 49ers

Week 6 - @ Rams

Week 7 - Buccaneers

Week 8 - @ Falcons

Week 9 - @ Bengals

Week 10 - Falcons

Week 11 - @ Ravens

Week 12 - Broncos

Week 13 - Bye

Week 14 @ Seahawks

Week 15 - Steelers

Week 16 - Lions

Week 17 - @ Buccaneers

Week 18 @ Saints

Top 5 pick in the 2023 draft and a new HC next year. 

Saw the PFT idea of Panthers looking at going after Sean Payton in 2023....  

When I went back to get the link ... I can no longer find it...  Removed?  

Saw the PFT idea of Panthers looking at going after Sean Payton in 2023....  

When I went back to get the link ... I can no longer find it...  Removed?  

Reportedly eyeing Sean Payton

They'd have to outbid the Cowboys first.  Payton isn't going to take a job where there's no good QB in place.  

Can't see it happening and likely another reach by Tepper (i.e. D. Watson and Matt Stafford).  There was also some pushback, IIRC, from fans about not wanting someone like Payton... whatever that means. 

Reportedly eyeing Sean Payton

They'd have to outbid the Cowboys first.  Payton isn't going to take a job where there's no good QB in place.  

Can't see it happening and likely another reach by Tepper (i.e. D. Watson and Matt Stafford).  There was also some pushback, IIRC, from fans about not wanting someone like Payton... whatever that means. 
Would Payton be interested in "Drafting a highly rated Rookie QB" to start his 2nd story? 

I don't know if Tepper has a clue how to run an NFL franchise ....  

Would Payton be interested in "Drafting a highly rated Rookie QB" to start his 2nd story? 

I don't know if Tepper has a clue how to run an NFL franchise ....  

Not sure if Payton would want to take a chance on a rookie.  Might be too soon to anoint Bryce Young or CJ Stroud as a franchise savior.  I'd wager that he'd rather go into a situation with an established QB.  

Not sure about Tepper either at this point.  At least he seems to be passionate.  

Snyder is passionate as well. They have to see the writing on the wall with that schedule and Darnold at QB. Playoffs ain't happening. 

Snyder is passionate as well. They have to see the writing on the wall with that schedule and Darnold at QB. Playoffs ain't happening. 

Good point.  Yeah, playoffs ain't happening.  That's why I'm good with Darnold at QB and maybe seeing Corral here and there this season.  I don't want to see them bring in Jimmy G or Baker, especially at the expense of future draft picks.  

Week 1 - Browns

Week 2 - @ Giants

Week 3 - Saints

Week 4 - Cardinals

Week 5 - 49ers

Week 6 - @ Rams

Week 7 - Buccaneers

Week 8 - @ Falcons

Week 9 - @ Bengals

Week 10 - Falcons

Week 11 - @ Ravens

Week 12 - Broncos

Week 13 - Bye

Week 14 @ Seahawks

Week 15 - Steelers

Week 16 - Lions

Week 17 - @ Buccaneers

Week 18 @ Saints

Top 5 pick in the 2023 draft and a new HC next year. 
Brutal schedule.    We are in play for stroud and van Dyke as we sit today

Users who are viewing this thread