What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Dallas Cowboys — On to the offseason. Let’s Go Bucs! (1 Viewer)

Cowboysfan8

Footballguy
Last edited:
I think Moore and Quinn are great coordinators. I would pay them a lot. 

I would fire McCarthy immediately. And I would hire two people:

1. Someone who knows nothing about football but is generally respected and motivational

2. A pro Madden player who can call timeouts and kick or no kick 4th down decisions and challenges.

Sigh….another good regular season and easy out in playoffs. 

What are you guys hoping happens with McCarthy? I read that Jerry said his job is safe after the loss but now I saw this today

https://mobile.twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/1484567531381825536?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

🤔

What are you hoping happens with Moore, Quinn and the rest?
Im still getting over the loss.  Right now, Im in a spot where I just feel it doesn't matter.  This is just how it is 😔

What are you guys hoping happens with McCarthy? I read that Jerry said his job is safe after the loss but now I saw this today

https://mobile.twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/1484567531381825536?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

It wasn't a good season.  We are simply lucky the Redskins and Giants continue to be awful and the Eagles didn't care much.  After NE, what was their next best win? Beating Minnesota with Cooper Rush?  The early season Eagles win where they tried a little?

From an outsider's perspective, I think the Cowboys would be best served to fire McCarthy, promote Quinn to HC, and try to keep Moore as OC. If Moore leaves for a HC position somewhere else, I think it shouldn't be too hard to find an OC who can be successful with the talent the Cowboys have on offense.

🤔

Fire McCarthy. I'd have to think on who I'd want. How was Quinn with the Falcons? I wouldn't want to lose him so making him HC is an option. Retain Moore (I don't believe he'll get an offer).

I’m not sure I’m happy with Moore. I mean, I’m just a dude in a recliner and I can predict too often whether they are running or passing.

And Aikman nailed it, Lamb should have been WAY more involved against SF the way they were playing him 

I’m very happy with Quinn at DC

Nice turnaround with him this year and the players seem to love him. I pray no one offers him a HC position 

🤔

@Steady Mooobin

@dickey moe

@Bankerguy

@Instinctive

@culdeus

@Rig24

@Hastur

@G-King

@Ack88

@TVT 0 N S T A

@Football Jones
They're not going to fire McCarthy....this year.  If they don't at least get to the NFC championship game next year, he's gone.  I'd love Quinn to be HC.  Moore is brilliant, but young.  Inexperienced.  I don't think he'll get an offer for a HC job this year.

None of this matters though.  I can no longer defend Dak.  He is ALMOST the complete package.  He's got all the things you want in a QB except accuracy.  Our offense cannot sustain drives with someone who throws 3 feet from where the ball has to be.  He's brilliant at throwing the long ball, but anything 20< yards is off by just enough to be an incompletion.  Unfortunately, 20< is the bread and butter of QBs.  This deficiency is hidden mostly by having 3-4 absolutely top shelf WRs.  I don't have the video editing chops, but I'd love to see a recap of every throw this year, with a deep dive on how accuracy played a part vs. how the talent of the WR helped. 

They're not going to fire McCarthy....this year.  If they don't at least get to the NFC championship game next year, he's gone.  I'd love Quinn to be HC.  Moore is brilliant, but young.  Inexperienced.  I don't think he'll get an offer for a HC job this year.

None of this matters though.  I can no longer defend Dak.  He is ALMOST the complete package.  He's got all the things you want in a QB except accuracy.  Our offense cannot sustain drives with someone who throws 3 feet from where the ball has to be.  He's brilliant at throwing the long ball, but anything 20< yards is off by just enough to be an incompletion.  Unfortunately, 20< is the bread and butter of QBs.  This deficiency is hidden mostly by having 3-4 absolutely top shelf WRs.  I don't have the video editing chops, but I'd love to see a recap of every throw this year, with a deep dive on how accuracy played a part vs. how the talent of the WR helped. 
He was out there giving his best as you’d expect from a player with elite character intangibles but it was rather clear he was hindered by the shoulder and ankle injuries. Mobility suffered and he just couldn’t drive it down field.  

From an outsider's perspective, I think the Cowboys would be best served to fire McCarthy, promote Quinn to HC, and try to keep Moore as OC. If Moore leaves for a HC position somewhere else, I think it shouldn't be too hard to find an OC who can be successful with the talent the Cowboys have on offense.
I can get with this. I don't believe McCarthy is particularly bright. And while Moore is bright, he isn't as bright as the media paints him out to be. If he walks for a HC job then let him go. Quinn has done a great job with the defense and has led a team to a SB (McCarthy rode Rodgers' coattails, IMO). 

All things considered, they need to improve OL play and figure out what to do with their running game. If they can't trade Zeke and his ridiculous contract, I still want to see more Pollard and less Zeke next season. 

I feel like there are just so many issues. It’s really hard to dissect in a single post.  The problems start at the top and it trickles downhill. 

I don’t support MM, but I also don’t believe the change will help either. 

To play along and pretend we don’t have Jerry and a real GM hires the coach. The only existing coach I’m good with is Quinn.

MM and boy wonder can both #### off. Terrible calls, lack of motion, lack of adjustments. Penalties. Can’t have it, just can’t have it. 

One last thing I want changed - is the persona of Dallas. It’s always Offensive. Let’s build around this defense and start playing a tough and physical brand of ball. 

I would absolutely gut that offense while continuing to build that defense. 

Biggest need on Offense is OT. 
Biggest need in D is a DT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garappolo is not better than Dak at anything but he’s advancing. Strong defense and running game, accompanied by good special teams. 

I’m still pretty down. I’d say more down than I have been since the Chad Hutchinson years. 

I have always been accused of being overly optimistic about this team but that’s not me now. 

MM is a dope.

Moore is in over his head. I think he can improve but I don’t want this pass happy scheme.

Dan Quinn is the best coach we have but it seems like he’s leaving. I would back the brinks truck up to make him a lifetime defensive coach but I guess he wants to fail at HC again. I think he’s too much of a players coach to be a Head coach. 

We have a good core, need to make some adjustments to run first team but that’s not going to happen. 

I’ll always be a fan but the past twenty years have been so high and low with no success to ready to throw the towel in. 

I can spend 18 x 4 hours a year working on my cars rather than flirt with a heart attack. 

F this team. 

If we've learned anything from these playoffs, it that defense becomes more vital as you advance. Yesterday's games were a testament to that fact. Both winning teams (and even the losing ones, played generally great defense.) As the field shrinks, the weather turns, and the competition intensifies, it is clear that you need a top level defense to advance. The four remaining teams today also have, at a minimum, really good defenses.

My point is that the Cowboys need to recognize this fact. The core group of this team, defensively, is outstanding, thus the mantra, from an organizational perspective, is to build from this foundation. Dan Quinn should be paid as handsomely as possible. If he wants a head job, and he very well may, there is nothing we can do about that, but the ownership group needs to find out that cost.

It is a fruitless endeavor, but must be stated nonetheless; this team, under the current leadership team is on a treadmill to nowhere. We have 25 + years of a collective body of work to demonstrate that fact. My posting this is simply restating the obvious, but serves as the context for every subsequent post- the real issue is ultimately the braintrust. Over time, the roster and winning percentage is ultimately an extension of that fact- however since we are all aspiring GMs, we are looking for answers that we in no way have control of obtaining.

Long story short, build the team around the defense. Free up the cap space and let Cooper and Zeke walk when the cost to the cap is not prohibitive, invest heavily in both lines during the draft, replace the kicker, and perhaps we can spin our wheels more deeply into January next year.

Thanks @Cowboysfan8 for opening this up for discussion. 

A buddy and I were discussing what scenarios we would like to see happen.

First and foremost, we pay Quinn whatever it takes since there is no cap on coordinators and Jones will spend it. As far as Kellen, he’s still young and learning, so no way he’s a serious head coach candidate right now. He made some mistakes but he also made some great calls. It’s funny, the difference at times between a gutsy brilliant call and a safe boring call is the result of them being successful or not. Hindsight is the armchair QB’s mantra. But if Quinn leaves, my recipe would give up what it would take (draft pick) and bring in Sean Peyton.I feel he’s ready to leave NO’s post Brees days, loves Dallas and would bring a well needed discipline to the team. He also would be a great mentor for Kellen. Bring Zimmer in as DC. Like Quinn, Phillips, and others, he’s a great DC but just not HC material. Both Quinn and Phillips were too player friendly. Need more Jimmy Johnson attitude and less “let’s all go have a beer together” hugging. Special teams were fine- love the job Pat Anger and the coverage has done, but cut Greg Dead Leg. It’s time to move on from WR Cooper. I see his production continue to follow Zeke’s payday formula. I’d rather keep Gallup, CeeDee and Wilson to be the offense with Shultz. Connor Williams needs to go; but Kearse deserves to be paid and extended. What he did against the top TE’s he faced was sick! Great player emerging there. Love Diggs, but hate his gambling, however a good disciplinary coach like Zimmer would fix that. Pollard needs to work on pass blocking as that’s got to be the only reason to have Zeke in over him. Zeke is done. 
And if there was any way to afford Devante Adams once Doosh ARodgers has left the building, let’s check the tires.

I hate Sean Payton. No thanks. 
Why? I'd be curious to understand the disdain.

He's had a fairly strong record of success. NO has consistently been a good team during his tenure. I certainly would take his record over any Cowboys coach since Jimmy.

Why? I'd be curious to understand the disdain.

He's had a fairly strong record of success. NO has consistently been a good team during his tenure. I certainly would take his record over any Cowboys coach since Jimmy.
He’s a pompous **** and treats people poorly. 

Sounds like he'd fit perfectly with Jerry Jones. ;)
Jerry does not treat anyone poorly. If anything he’s too nice. I don’t like the sales-talk but everything I have heard from former players suggests he’s a wonderful person and that goes for the rest of his family. 

Emmitt Smith on the other hand….

Jerry does not treat anyone poorly. If anything he’s too nice. I don’t like the sales-talk but everything I have heard from former players suggests he’s a wonderful person and that goes for the rest of his family. 

Emmitt Smith on the other hand….
That dude is so clueless, he’s got Daniel Snyder as the moral compass for his team. 
Jerry Jones has helped more players families, the NFL brand, and the game as a whole than any other owner. Daniel Snyder is the joke of the league, to the point that their own fans want him removed from ownership. 😆

I'm not a Dallas fan or Jerry Jones fan but I've never heard anything other than he treats others with class and respect. Only negative I can think of is that he was too involved in the draft process for years but it's my understanding he isn't as involved anymore, if at all. 

Sean Payton steps down. Operation” Fire MM” step one should be now engaged.🤞

Dallas would have to trade for his rights
At this point, give NO what it takes. The set back of losing picks is worth more than the continued failure of the Campo, Garrett, McCarthy false hope. At least with a guy like Peyton, you could see a light of hope at the end of the tunnel. The light Cowboy fans keep being shown every year is the train.

Did Peyton have control over personnel? If so, might not work with Jerry.  If not, the Cowboys should go for it.

Michael rips Dak, Zeke and Lamb.

“Every team you look at, the stars of the team showed up and played,” Irvin said. “You can’t win in this game if your stars don’t show up and play. It’s Dak Prescott, 69 passer rating. Ezekiel Elliott, 31 rushing yards. CeeDee Lamb, 21 yards on one reception.”

Irvin said those players need to look at themselves for why the Cowboys’ season is over.

“Dallas had their star players playing like role players,” Irvin said. “That’s why they’ve got their butts sitting at home.”

Dayum I was late as hell on this.

Dan Quinn to stay on as DC!!!!!! Thank you so much baby Jesus!!!!

Dayum I was late as hell on this.

Dan Quinn to stay on as DC!!!!!! Thank you so much baby Jesus!!!!
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-owner-jerry-jones-coach-dan-quinn-substantial-raise-stay-sources

Two informed league source state to CowboysSI.com that Quinn got a “substantial raise” to remain in Dallas for 2022.

In league circles it's well-known that he is a top candidate for not only 2023 NFL jobs but maybe for the Cowboys top job should Jones - presently angry about Dallas’ playoff loss and allowing the public to gossip about recent Saints retiree Sean Payton - move on from Mike McCarthy. 

Is he though? He had Brees and then abandoned ship. 
Empirically speaking- yes.

He's generally done well. This year's team was 9-8 and had sub par QB play, Kamara injuries, and no Michael Thomas.

That, to me, speaks to an ability to overcome adversity. I would hire him if he was interested.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-owner-jerry-jones-coach-dan-quinn-substantial-raise-stay-sources

Two informed league source state to CowboysSI.com that Quinn got a “substantial raise” to remain in Dallas for 2022.

In league circles it's well-known that he is a top candidate for not only 2023 NFL jobs but maybe for the Cowboys top job should Jones - presently angry about Dallas’ playoff loss and allowing the public to gossip about recent Saints retiree Sean Payton - move on from Mike McCarthy. 
Yep.  Got promised a crack at the main gig in 2023.  Had to be.

Doesn't matter how much talent you have if you don't have any discipline.  That playoff game was the most undisciplined game I've seen in a while.

Little Danny Snyder names his team the Commanders. After the way he commanded his cheerleaders to undress? 🤔  What an idiot, the jokes are going to roll in😂
The Washington Commies. I feel sorry for the good fans.

Little Danny Snyder names his team the Commanders. After the way he commanded his cheerleaders to undress? 🤔  What an idiot, the jokes are going to roll in😂
The Washington Commies. I feel sorry for the good fans.
There aren’t many left. This will drive even more to the Ravens. Shame.

DE- DeMarcus Lawrence  $27M cap hit, $19M to release him, $8M if you cut him after June 1st so that would save the team close to $20M. His production has been down since he signed the big contract, not saying he isn't a strong player but he simply has not produced the same type of sack totals and then he only started 7 games this past season. 

Likelihood could be high they want to release him since he won't take a pay cut. Lots of attractive DL/Edge players in the upcoming draft, no reason to keep going down this road. 

WR-Amari Cooper Team can save $16M if they release him prior to June 1st and would save an additional $4M if they wait until then or $20M. Between Lawrence and Cooper the team can easily get under the cap where they currently according to Spotrac are about $21.16 Million over at the moment and they will of course want to dabble in free agency plus money needed for their Rookies so it feels believable that a Cooper release almost puts them where they need to be. 

Others like Zeke $18M cost as much or more to release than the cap hit they represent. 

Here is a very detailed look on Spotrac as they breakdown a way Dallas can save $70M. That perfect golf swing they are describing, can't see guys like Martin who was 2nd overall last season, no way he restructures his contract. Dallas can get about $35M+ their way by parting with both Cooper and Lawrence post June 1st but that doesn't make the team better and then they have to replace those pieces, somewhat pigeon holes their Draft selections but when you have an expensive QB salary you must pay, cuts are inevitable. 

Cheers!

Not a fan of tagging Schultz

I would love to see them somehow get Bobby Wagner but it’s a pipe dream I’m sure 

Yeah I mean post-ACL now for Jarwin what really makes Schultz critical? With a guy like Dak I think we need more investment in defense/OLine and let CeeDee be the star with good role players, underrated guys and the like at skill positions.

Users who are viewing this thread