What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Dallas Cowboys — On to the offseason. Let’s Go Bucs! (1 Viewer)

meh ...smell ya later kellen
This is a way for Jerry to look like he is doing something, but is nothing more than scapegoating. Moore was a good OC, the team generally was good on offense. They’ve lost the last two playoff games because the head coach cannot manage the clock on the QB has become mistake prone.

We still have Dak and a complete lack of speed. Lots of work needed.

I know Dak has his warts and all but watching Burrow last night I kept thinking how it sure must me nice to just loft the ball into double and triple coverage and have your guy take it out of the air.

Did we ever hear the real reason we let Cooper walk? Cause the money angle doesn’t make sense. Was it because he was a malcontent/negative person?

It's all on McCarthy now. Firing Moore was silly. Look at the offensive stats. Don't think he was the problem and the Chargers seem to agree.

It's all on McCarthy now. Firing Moore was silly. Look at the offensive stats. Don't think he was the problem and the Chargers seem to agree.

I’m OK with it. WAAAAAY too pass happy. Way too much telegraphing plays. (Shotgun w/no back to pass and 3TE to run)

I’m OK with it. WAAAAAY too pass happy. Way too much telegraphing plays. (Shotgun w/no back to pass and 3TE to run)
No motion, no screens, no picks, no stacks.
Or very little of the latter.

Curls, go’s and dig routes. Over and over.

This is how he's always wanted it. Jerry has been very fond of Moore and keeping him was always something McCarthy had to do if he wanted the job, and I don't think he has a single thing against him but McCarthy's an offensive background guy and he was forced to be the head coach while someone else ran their version of their offense for the team.

I think two things can be true here. McCarthy is under a ton of pressure now because it is on him. He also looks like he just won a power struggle.

This is how he's always wanted it. Jerry has been very fond of Moore and keeping him was always something McCarthy had to do if he wanted the job, and I don't think he has a single thing against him but McCarthy's an offensive background guy and he was forced to be the head coach while someone else ran their version of their offense for the team.

I think two things can be true here. McCarthy is under a ton of pressure now because it is on him. He also looks like he just won a power struggle.

Hmmm. That’s an interesting take. I like it.

I’m not sure I like a 60 year old not named Andy Reid or **** Vermeil running my offense.

Are we sure we’re not bringing in somebody or is this it? A Qb coach? I would like to see a guy like Alex Smith or Fitzmagic to help Dak much like Dak had help from Romo and (don’t laugh,) Mark Sanchez during Daks rookie year.

Those are just two names I thought up as an example. I want a guy who’s older than Dak and who’s played QB.

No motion, no screens, no picks, no stacks.
Or very little of the latter.

Curls, go’s and dig routes. Over and over.
YES YES YES. Several of our defensive opponents said after games that they knew what was coming. That's no bueno!

Moore asked to go. He wasn’t fired. He was released from his contract.

Wouldn't you rather go work with Justin Herbert than Dak? Moore just found his golden ticket.....

That dude isn’t any good. Sorry. Not sure what others see.
LOL can't tell if this is schtick anymore.
A lot of Offensive minded coaches would love to coach a guy that had 80 total TDs his first 2 years. Great arm. And his "off" year being a year where he still throws 25 TDs and is only behind Pat Mahomes in yards. Other than that, sure, not sure what anyone sees.

Wouldn't you rather go work with Justin Herbert than Dak? Moore just found his golden ticket.....

A lot of Offensive minded coaches would love to coach a guy that had 80 total TDs his first 2 years. Great arm. And his "off" year being a year where he still throws 25 TDs and is only behind Pat Mahomes in yards. Other than that, sure, not sure what anyone sees.

He might be talking about Moore not Herbert.

You left out the fact that Herbert has 50 IQ points on Dak.

Oh I see. I don't think another OC will get a 37 TD season out of Dak, even with the extra game. Guess we will see! To me, that makes Kellen Moore special.

Oh I see. I don't think another OC will get a 37 TD season out of Dak, even with the extra game. Guess we will see! To me, that makes Kellen Moore special.

Again, the biggest problem facing Dak's OC is the reduction of INTs. He was 34th in the NFL last year at 3.8%. That's unforgivable for any QB, let alone a guy making that kind of franchise money.

Again, the biggest problem facing Dak's OC is the reduction of INTs. He was 34th in the NFL last year at 3.8%. That's unforgivable for any QB, let alone a guy making that kind of franchise money.
But half of those weren't his fault.

Every time I watch him he blows. Everybody throws for a ton of yards and TDs.

Dude, EVERYTHING isn’t about the Cowboys or Dak. Can we not talk about another player without ALWAYS bringing it back to Dallas or Dak? It’s awful man.

To be fair when the defense knows your plays it does make it tough on a QB.

Dude, EVERYTHING isn’t about the Cowboys or Dak. Can we not talk about another player without ALWAYS bringing it back to Dallas or Dak? It’s awful man.

Uh, it's the Cowboys' thread. What a weird post.

In General life and when it comes to media coverage, sure I agree. But...

This *is* a Cowboys thread? Sure we don't have to talk about Dak.

Any top OC's/Offensive minds you'd *LOVE* to see no named Sean Payton come to town?

I knew somebody was going to say that. That’s not what I meant and he knows it.

We were discussing the quarterback of the Chargers at the time.

Cooper Rush's Int rate 1.8%. Same WRs, same offense, same coaches.....

:shrug:

In General life and when it comes to media coverage, sure I agree. But...

This *is* a Cowboys thread? Sure we don't have to talk about Dak.

Any top OC's/Offensive minds you'd *LOVE* to see no named Sean Payton come to town?

You know what I meant.

I would take Payton as a OC, do NOT want him as a head coach.

I looked up available coaches and there isn’t much at OC. Schottenheimer’s kid. Is he any good or just writing off the coattails of his father?

Is Cliff Kingsberry a good offensive mind, just a lousy coach with a petulant QB?

If I were Jerry Jones, I would fire Mike McCarthy and hire Deion Sanders.

Well, no, we were discussing Kellen Moore leaving. That led us to Herbert. I posited that Moore left the position with Dallas to take the one with the Chargers because Herbert is a much better QB than Dak. I think that's okay to discuss in here, right? It is the Cowboys' thread....

Same exact plays calls against the same exact coverage against the same exact players under the same exact weather conditions during the exact same time and score of the game?

Stats are so dumb.

Well, no, we were discussing Kellen Moore leaving. That led us to Herbert. I posited that Moore left the position with Dallas to take the one with the Chargers because Herbert is a much better QB than Dak. I think that's okay to discuss in here, right? It is the Cowboys' thread....

By all means, let’s continue discussing this.

Kingsbury was an OC once - at A&M. He parlayed that one year with Manziel into a HC job at TTech, where results were ho-hum at best (35-40). He's never been an OC in the NFL. Curious how he'd do.

Same exact plays calls against the same exact coverage against the same exact players under the same exact weather conditions during the exact same time and score of the game?

Stats are so dumb.

In a discussion about turnover rate, it's relevant. Stats may not be something you care for, but there's a reason why the NFL owners, GMs, coaches, agents and scouts use them and pay to employ people looking at advanced metrics. It matters.

Kingsbury was an OC once - at A&M. He parlayed that one year with Manziel into a HC job at TTech, where results were ho-hum at best (35-40). He's never been an OC in the NFL. Curious how he'd do.
No thanks.

You got any ideas?

I think it's already been determined that Mike McCarthy is going to handle play calling duties, which I think is a mistake, but I've been very critical of him since the hire. I just don't think he relates well to today's players. It's just my opinion which is often wrong.

I don't think he's very curious to find out anytime soon.

Would you be? A one way ticket to Thailand with THAT GF by his side?
No, if he's remotely as good of an OC as he in real estate and life choices he's going to be incredible in the role one day.

Stats are so dumb.

In a discussion about turnover rate, it's relevant. Stats may not be something you care for, but there's a reason why the NFL owners, GMs, coaches, agents and scouts use them and pay to employ people looking at advanced metrics. It matters.

Sure. They have SOME relevance. They are NOT the end all be all of a player otherwise the drafts wouldn’t be such a crapshoot.

It boggles my mind that stat nerds aren’t aware that the stats you’re looking at aren’t comparable for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. You’re not playing the same defenses. You’re not playing the same players. You’re not playing alongside the same players. You’re not even playing with the same breakfast food in your stomach as the other guy who played the same game you’re being compared to in 1973.

No thanks.

You got any ideas?

I think it's already been determined that Mike McCarthy is going to handle play calling duties, which I think is a mistake, but I've been very critical of him since the hire. I just don't think he relates well to today's players. It's just my opinion which is often wrong.

Hmmm…

Maybe that’s why Kellen asked to be released? Maybe Mike said “he can stay as the OC but I’m calling the plays”?

I can’t find a link to the interview that isn’t super long but Jerry said today that “Quinn will like a co-head coach” lol

Why can’t this dude just stop talking. FOR ONCE?!?!

:lmao:

No thanks.

You got any ideas?

The hard part of hiring an OC is when the Head Coach wants to call the plays. The Eagles had that issue with Doug Pederson, no OC wanted to come here to be the OC and not call plays. They know that play calling is the facet of the job that gets them promoted eventually.... If you won't let the OC call the plays, you automatically rule out most of the best ones.

This is a bit puzzling - I thought the word was that McCarthy wanted to call plays.

Cowboys announced Brian Schottenheimer as new offensive coordinator.​

Schottenheimer was signed to the team in March 2022 as an offensive consultant, charged with working with the offensive coaching staff in a game-planning role. He now gets the in-house promotion following the departure of Kellen Moore for a franchise that continues to commit to a run-balanced offense. This move should continue that trend after Schottenheimer ran the league's most run-heavy offense during his time in Seattle.

meet the new boss same as the old boss.or worse.wayyy worse. Schottenheimer has a resume rife with failures across the board at different coaching levels. this is a terrible hire and absolutely guaranteeds that McCarthy is out of a job this time next year. I would have given Leftwhich some consideration here. SB winning OC

This is a bit puzzling - I thought the word was that McCarthy wanted to call plays.

Cowboys announced Brian Schottenheimer as new offensive coordinator.​

Schottenheimer was signed to the team in March 2022 as an offensive consultant, charged with working with the offensive coaching staff in a game-planning role. He now gets the in-house promotion following the departure of Kellen Moore for a franchise that continues to commit to a run-balanced offense. This move should continue that trend after Schottenheimer ran the league's most run-heavy offense during his time in Seattle.
It was expected, I posted in this thread a few days ago he was the likely OC hire.

McCarthy will be the one calling plays.

Schottenheimer was already on staff but as consultant. For Quinn. Kind of cool idea that Dallas employed and offensive minded assistant to work with the defense.

Users who are viewing this thread