What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (15 Viewers)

Lions (5-7) being favored by 2.5 points over a 9-2 team is striking.

Until the Jax game the last time the Lions had outgained another team was week 3 vs the Vikes. In that game the Lions despite outgaining the Vikes the Lions found a way to beat themselves.

The Lions have been committing fewer penalties than their opponents. They are tied for 6th in the NFL for the fewest penalties. In their 12 games they have nine times committed fewer penalties than their opponent. For their last 6 games starting with Miami they have had fewer penalties. However, in the Vikes game the Lions were the more penalized team. Lions had 7 penalties, the Vikes 3.

Regarding penalties while the Lions are the 6th least penalized team, the Vikes are the 5th least penalized.

As to turnovers the Lions have recently been winning the turnover battle. Committing fewer turnovers in 5 of their last 6 games. They are tied for 13th in turnover differential at +1. However, the Vikes are third overall in turnover differential at +8

Based on turnovers and penalties the Vikings are a team that is not beating itself and helps to explain their good record. I would expect a hard-fought close game.

In the first game Hutchinson was neutralized by Darrisaw and the other Viking tackle. Hutchinson, however, had been injured in the previous game against Washington and was his least healthy. Darrisaw who is often ranked higher than Sewell may not play due to the concussion protocol.

Regarding Hutchinson he has played more snaps than any other rookie DL and more snaps than any other rookie defender outside of a couple of rookie DBs.

As was mentioned earlier Jefferson was very limited by Okudah in the first game but Theilen and Osborne hurt them badly. The improvements in the Lions pass defense including Jacobs' return should help.

However, Dalvin Cook always gashes the Lions and stopping him is key. Detroit is playing better run defense outside of Justin Fields and hopefully Cook can be checked.

Both teams hit with that bug that’s been going around the league - 6 Vikings out due to illness, 3 Lions.

Awosika (ankle) was out today but Evan Brown returned (LP.) Not too worried about Decker (elbow) or Ragnow (foot), lingering but they s/b able to go on Sunday. Barnes (knee) DNP is new, Elliott (ankle) is lingering but same deal as the veteran OL.

Swift on the injury report for the 24th time in the last 30 game weeks. lolololol

Both teams hit with that bug that’s been going around the league - 6 Vikings out due to illness, 3 Lions.

Awosika (ankle) was out today but Evan Brown returned (LP.) Not too worried about Decker (elbow) or Ragnow (foot), lingering but they s/b able to go on Sunday. Barnes (knee) DNP is new, Elliott (ankle) is lingering but same deal as the veteran OL.

Swift on the injury report for the 24th time in the last 30 game weeks. lolololol
This is the closest the Lions have come to a playoff type game in many a year. Hopefully, the crowd can be a factor. I know Campbell wants to make up for the last game and am again hoping he's able to keep it in his pants

This is the closest the Lions have come to a playoff type game in many a year. Hopefully, the crowd can be a factor. I know Campbell wants to make up for the last game and am again hoping he's able to keep it in his pants

He’s shown more restraint, been OK with settling for the FG or punting. Partly his growth as a HC, partly his confidence in the defense has grown bc they’re playing better.

You can’t make up for the game you lost. It’s on the permanent record. But give him credit for self awareness, introspection, self scouting….he isn’t stubborn. He holds himself accountable and he’s open minded enough to accept criticism.

I also think he has a healthy balance there. Listen to his presser today, I linked it upthread. He has confidence in his vision and the identity of the team. He’s not wavering on that, core foundational belief stuff (play with grit, be a tough physical team, stay aggressive.)

But he is also self aware enough to not completely shut out the criticism. The quality control guys (low level staffers) put together scouting reports on the Lions, look at tendencies, evaluate choices v what analytics say is the chalk play. I do feel like he has grown this year.

But the litmus test is not pressers but how well he processes decision making in high pressure end game scenarios. People were hyper critical of the 3rd & 1 pass and leaving Allen too much time.

I was OK with Thanksgiving bc if you look at the entire two minute drill you can see what they were going for. The idea was to try to strike that balance of having timeouts for the final 30 seconds sequence, and take off enough time that the other team doesn’t get a shot. They didn’t execute - but I could understand what he was going for there.

Anyway, end games - opening sequence that set the tone, final four minutes of each half, the halftime adjustments in the first four of the second half - those reflect directly on the HC and the staff. During this five game run, Detroit has come out prepared in all phases. That’s not just one guy - that’s an entire staff. They have done a good job preparing them and the players have been executing.

Next big test - do it in a divisional game against a good opponent. Think the over came down (53 to 51.5) when the spread increased - people are noticing the D is playing better.

Having a hard time picking this game. A 5-7 team favoured over a 10-2 seems wild, but Detroit can do this. Win this for us Lions!

This is a statement game for the Lions. They don't need to play well against a very good team, they don't need a moral victory, they need to win this game. A lot of people are still skeptical but that could be gone with a win.

It's the most important game we've had in years imo. Ford Field is going to be electric too.

Lions have made a remarkable turnaround on pass defense.

This information is from the Pride of Detroit site

Here’s where those stats rank in the NFL from Weeks 9 to Week 13:

• 57.4% completions — 1st
  • 74.9 passer rating — 2nd
  • 7 INTs - 1st
They’ve also tallied exactly half (11) of their season total sacks (22) in just these five games.

Put it all together, and according to Football Outsiders, the Lions' pass defense has been the third-best in the NFL since Week 9. Yes, you read that right: the Lions have the third-best pass defense in the NFL over the past five games.
I don't know if it was already mentioned in this thread but they fired Aubrey Pleasant (DB coach and defensive pass game coordinator) after getting blown out by Miami week 8. And then proceeded to have the 3rd best pass defense in the league.

I want to see James Houston get some more playing time. He has 3 sacks in like 12 plays from scrimmage. No one has seemed to figure out how to stop his euro-step low bend around the edge move. Just so smooth.

Hitting the lottery on Amon-Ra in the 4th last year was huge....but this year we hit it pretty big with Kirby in the 3rd and Rodrigo and Houston in the 6th. The only guy Holmes drafted that can really be considered a bust is Levi because of injury, but if he is ever able to get healthy and be productive, the last two drafts will have been near perfection.

Lions have made a remarkable turnaround on pass defense.
Even more remarkable when you consider Slay is no longer with the team, and he is one of the top 4 best cover corners in the NFL.
What is even more remarkable is Okudah’s recovery from a torn Achilles. When that happened it looked like that was it top 3 pick gone up in smoke. A corner recovering from a torn Achilles is really quite astonishing

Last edited:
This is a statement game for the Lions. They don't need to play well against a very good team, they don't need a moral victory, they need to win this game. A lot of people are still skeptical but that could be gone with a win.

It's the most important game we've had in years imo. Ford Field is going to be electric too.

Was just thinking this exact same thing.

This is the game we have all been waiting for. It's time for the Lions to Do or Die

I hate this. I got excited for the beginning of the season, and had just gotten back to the point of being numb to their losses when the winning streak started.

If they lose this game by a lot, it's going to hurt, badly.

I hate this. I got excited for the beginning of the season, and had just gotten back to the point of being numb to their losses when the winning streak started.

If they lose this game by a lot, it's going to hurt, badly.

I feel really good about the team rn

we’ve literally never seen a great team in Detroit

usually the good teams that always lost in the WC game were just middling teams with 1-2 stars

Billy Sims
Barry & Herman
Stafford Megatron & Suh

IIRC only the 2014 team has a Top 5 defense

kind of have to go back to 1970 to find a good balanced team

these guys have unsung stars (ARSB, Jamaal, the OL, Okudah) - but it really is a team kind of deal

it’s not an emotional avalanche like 1991

it’s not about spectacular individual effort

all three phases, it’s about what they are doing as a team - solid performances, penalty free, taking care of the ball

and I don’t think a messianic thing either - the media loves MCDC and we’re getting all kinds of love on NFLN

but the whole staff is doing a great job IMO. I think Ben Johnson is the best OC around, he’s calling a great game. Fipp is one of the the better ST coordinators. the turnaround on defense is insane - first 7 weeks they were statistically the worst (least efficient) defense in the last 23 NFL seasons. last 5 games they’re easily a Top 10 unit by any measure.

every week they come out prepared and gt off to a good start. that’s not the HC, or a couple of stars, that’s the whole organization. it’s gotta be a fun place to come to work every day.

odds of winning out and making the playoffs are pretty long. when they were 1-6 that seemed absurd to even consider.

Not practicing for Lions today:
- QB Nate Sudfeld
- G Kayode Awosika
- LB Derrick Barnes
- CB Chase Lucas
- CB Will Harris

Back after missing Thursday:

- CB Jeff Okudah
- WR Kalif Raymond

@twentyman

Lions are releasing Standing Room Only seats again this week in anticipation of another 65,000+ crowd when they host Minnesota. Vikings have the 9th most false starts & 4th most delay of game penalties in the NFL this season. Safe to say Ford Field will be rocking come Sunday.

but the whole staff is doing a great job IMO. I think Ben Johnson is the best OC around, he’s calling a great game. Fipp is one of the the better ST coordinators. the turnaround on defense is insane - first 7 weeks they were statistically the worst (least efficient) defense in the last 23 NFL seasons. last 5 games they’re easily a Top 10 unit by any measure
I credit Fraley's kid. Pretty sure the team rallied around him.

The NFL always reminds us that it is a business. Lions making up some revenue for all the empty seats the last few years by charging 90.00 for standing room only Sunday.

For loyal fans it seems 50.00 would be more than enough to stand.

The NFL always reminds us that it is a business. Lions making up some revenue for all the empty seats the last few years by charging 90.00 for standing room only Sunday.

You going SRO this week or did you score seats?

Entertainment sure has become expensive. I frankly didn’t pay much attention bc when I was working as a finance exec I was always getting comped (& comping others - we had premium Mets, Knicks and Rangers seats.) Was very blessed in the dot com and beyond era, what with free tix to the World Series, Knicks playoff run (Ewing), NFCCG (Faso era), Jets playoff blowout of the Colts, et al, right up through the original cast of Hamilton.

Those days are long gone. This summer I took my bride to her first major league game (we frequently go to the Brooklyn Cyclones.) Two good but hardly amazing field view seats, dropped $400 all in (but TBF the food was pretty decent). That’s a crazy expensive date night but hey, creating memories.

I considered going to the Giants-Lions but omg 😳 OK maybe not. Would have been a good $800 for what I consider two good seats in lousy weather. I could have scored a couple lousy seats for next week’s Jets game for around $260 (for 2.) Meh, tbh I’d rather go have a nice dinner. MetLife is a slog to get to from Brooklyn.

Don’t set me started on what I’ve been paying for concert tickets the past few years…

Entertainment sure has become expensive. I frankly didn’t pay much attention bc when I was working as a finance exec I was always getting comped (& comping others - we had premium Mets, Knicks and Rangers seats.) Was very blessed in the dot com and beyond era, what with free tix to the World Series, Knicks playoff run (Ewing), NFCCG (Faso era), Jets playoff blowout of the Colts, et al, right up through the original cast of Hamilton.

Those days are long gone. This summer I took my bride to her first major league game (we frequently go to the Brooklyn Cyclones.) Two good but hardly amazing field view seats, dropped $400 all in (but TBF the food was pretty decent). That’s a crazy expensive date night but hey, creating memories.

I considered going to the Giants-Lions but omg 😳 OK maybe not. Would have been a good $800 for what I consider two good seats in lousy weather. I could have scored a couple lousy seats for next week’s Jets game for around $260 (for 2.) Meh, tbh I’d rather go have a nice dinner. MetLife is a slog to get to from Brooklyn.

Don’t set me started on what I’ve been paying for concert tickets the past few years…

Was offered 2 for this game weeks ago but we are having a big Christmas party at our home tonight. It will be a long night with lots of booze flowing and by the time we get to bed and it is usually after 2am. So I knew dam well I would be hungover and not feel like getting up and heading downtown for a 1pm start.

Will watch this one at home. Funny the supplier I get tickets from all of sudden said they are in high demand. For years I could get any game I want.

The Tigers are so bad it is easy to get box seats on StubHub right before game time for 15-20 bucks. After a few 12 doallrs beers we still can stay under 100.00 for the game.

Was offered 2 for this game weeks ago but we are having a big Christmas party at our home tonight. It will be a long night with lots of booze flowing and by the time we get to bed and it is usually after 2am. So I knew dam well I would be hungover and not feel like getting up and heading downtown for a 1pm start.

Will watch this one at home. Funny the supplier I get tickets from all of sudden said they are in high demand. For years I could get any game I want.

The Tigers are so bad it is easy to get box seats on StubHub right before game time for 15-20 bucks. After a few 12 doallrs beers we still can stay under 100.00 for the game.

Yeah I’m so out of the loop on the Detroit scene. When I lived there (Grosse Point Park & West Bloomfield) we were still at Tigers Stadium, the Silverdome & the Palace. My firm (PwC) would have almost daily announcements for the Tigers home game tickets bc nobody wanted to take their clients there. We had an all events suite at the Palace, Pistons were awful but at least you could take customers to concerts. Red Wings were off limits - reserved for partners & new business development.

Inflation hurts billionaires too.
This also helps keep the price of F-150s down. ,🛻
F-150 owners are recto wear a cowboy hat, boots, and install a gun rack.

Inflation hurts billionaires too.
This also helps keep the price of F-150s down. ,🛻
F-150 owners are recto wear a cowboy hat, boots, and install a gun rack.

Rodrigo got that F-150 drip

not his first rodeo

I know Campbell drives a truck, have a feeling Malcolm does as well

Rodrigo got that F-150 drip

not his first rodeo

I know Campbell drives a truck, have a feeling Malcolm does as well
A little off topic, but does anyone know what kind of bag he is carrying, or can recommend a good leather duffel?

Same bag as week 1 right? Wonder if he picked it up from the same cowboy outfitter he went to on Hard Knocks.

Bet he picked it locally. He posted on social media awhile back about a Hubbard Richard (next to Mexicantown) grocery store he found with a bunch of stuff his abuela would make.

Knew he was Mexican but didn’t realize he’s also a card-carrying Cherokee nation citizen. Never thought about it, but he’s one of like only five indigenous players in the league. Keenan Allen is Lumbee, Creed Humphrey is Potawatomi, few other guys.

Great kid from an awesome family, what a gem of a player for a sixth rounder.

Chase Lucas (hamstring) to the IR

Lions signed guard Ross Pierschbacher to the Active Roster from the Practice Squad. Pierschbacher is a third-year veteran in the NFL. He played five seasons of college football at Alabama before getting drafted by the Washington Redskins in the 2019 NFL Draft. Since entering the NFL he has spent time with several different organizations including the Washington Redskins, Philadelphia Eagles, and the New York Jets. He was signed to the Detroit Lions Practice Squad in early September of this year.

The Lions also elevated linebacker Jarrad Davis and cornerback Jarren Williams from the Practice Squad to the Active/Inactive list. Williams just recently signed to the Lions Practice Squad on November 29th. He comes to the organization after being waived by the New York Giants back in August.

Romeo Okwara should see his first snaps of the season tomorrow.

Would love Anderson but think he will go in top 2. Like Young but have zero interest in Stroud.
Rams winning Thursday stunk. That should have been a loss. You are likely right that Anderson goes 2 but Jalen Carter plus 3 QBs could be in play for those top picks.

Detroit fan base is as excited as if they are 10-2 ready to secure a division title. The reality is they are 5-7 and are a very long shot to sneak into the final wild card spot. But what the fan base see is a Lions team with a top 5 offense and a defense that has finally figured out a few things and somehow turned a switch mid-season and went from absolutely atrocious to a decent if not above average defense. There are a few solid pieces and with 4 picks in the first two rounds next year, this is the best situation this franchise has been in. It is silly that a 5-7 team feels confident that are taking down a 10-2 team, but every single person in that 5-7 locker room today believe they are getting a W today. Next year the expectations are a top 5 offense and a top 10 defense, which translates into a legit SB contender.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread