What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (8 Viewers)

Jermar Jefferson had a big run on 3rd and long draw play in Sunday's game vs Steelers. Thanks for bringing this to our awareness.
Jefferson was cut by the Lions to make room for DT Benito Jones, who was claimed on waivers.
I wonder if there wasn't some gamesmanship going on here with cutting Jackson and initially keeping Jefferson - i.e., it is more likely that someone gets scooped up during the second round of waivers, so they tried to sneak Jackson though in the first round, knowing that Jefferson was getting axed for a DL later.

It was a weird maneuver. I am sure Holmes had his reasons and must have communicated it to Justin Jackson, because initially the move did not pass the eye test. But the end result makes sense. I am in a very small minority of maybe 1, but I like the way Justin runs better than Swift. Swift has all the physical tools, I just don't think he has the vision of a great RB. If you look at career numbers, Swift vs. Jackson are pretty close on totals, but Jackson has a much better ypc in (both in rushing and receiving). A 200 carry sample size is not huge, but 5.0 yards per carry is nothing to sneeze at, in fact it is elite.

I have no clue about why they initially kept Jefferson. I'm guessing he will be signed to the practice squad. I heard they are signing Blough as well.

I am really interested to see who returns kickoffs.

Also, they can have 2 players from the practice squad on their GameDay roster without them having to clear waivers. Someone like Pittman, who is a very good special teams player, could be one of them.

Last edited:
I have no clue about why they initially kept Jefferson. I'm guessing he will be signed to the practice squad. I heard they are signing Blough as well.

I guessing Kalif Raymond on punts. Ourlads has Craig Reynolds on kickoffs.

My favorite Lions season bets:

I loaded up on Hutch +600 for DROY. I really don't see what his competition is. Thibs is banged up. A rookie edge rusher with 10+ sacks is a lock over any other defensive position. Odds have since dropped tp +420, bit still a good bet.

Next is Campbell at +1600 for coach of the year. Lions have to get to 10 wins and make the playoffs, then he would be a top contender. Not probable, but much better than +1600.
Longer shot is Amon-Ra to lead the league in receptions at +4000. I like him top 5 in category, but will be tough to beat Kupp if Stafford keeps feeding him.
Really long shot...Goff to lead league in passing yards at +10000. I see Goff throwing about 4500 yards to put him solidly in the top 10. He has looked outstanding in camp and he will outperform all expectations.

Last edited:

I guessing Kalif Raymond on punts. Ourlads has Craig Reynolds on kickoffs.

Yeah it's not clear - preseason it was Alexander, Benson and Igwebuike.

DB Mike Hughes has had a handful of KR each year in past seasons.

David Blough was signed to the Vikings practice squad. I have to think the Lions will add a QB at some point. No idea who is available.

My favorite Lions season bets:

I loaded up on Hutch +600 for DROY. I really don't see what his competition is. Thibs is banged up. A rookie edge rusher with 10+ sacks is a lock over any other defensive position. Odds have since dropped tp +420, bit still a good bet.

Next is Campbell at +1600 for coach of the year. Lions have to get to 10 wins and make the playoffs, then he would be a too contender. Not probable, but much better than +1600.
Longer shot is Amon-Ra to lead the league in receptions at +4000. I like him top 5 in category, but will be tough to beat Kupp if Stafford keeps feeding him.
Really long shot...Goff to lead league in passing yards at +10000. I see Goff throwing about 4500 yards to put him solidly in the top 10. He has looked outstanding in camp and he will outperform all expectations.
DROY is possible. I'd save my money on the others.

Team Roster by draft round

1: 10 (Brockers, Decker, Goff, Harris, Hockenson, M Hughes, Hutchinson, Okudah, Ragnow, Sewell)

2: 3 (Chark, Onwuzurike, Swift)

3: 7 (Anzalone, Harris, Joseph, Mcneil, Melifonwu, J Okwara, Walker)

4: 8 (Barnes, Bryant, Cominsky, Jo Jackson, J Reynolds, St. Brown, Stenberg, Jamaal Williams)

5: 4 (Cephus, Mitchell, Oruwariye, Seibert, Vaitai)

6: 4 (Buggs, Elliott, Rodriguez, Nate Sudfeld)

7: 1 (Lucas)

UDFA: 15 (Board, Brown, Daly, Fox, J Hughes, Be Jones, Kraemer, Nelson, Price, Raymond, C Reynolds, Taylor, Woods, Wright, Zylstra)

Starters by Round:

1: 40.9%

2: 9%

3: 18.1%

4: 13.6%

5: 9%

6: 4.5%

7: 0%

UDFA: 4.5%

PUP/IR/ NRFI

1: 1 (Jameson Williams)

2: 1 (Paschal)

UDFA: 3 (Cabinda, Jacobs, R Okwara)

Practice Squad

1: 1 (Davis)

6: 1 (Houston)

7: 2 (Ju Jackson, Jefferson)

UDFA: 11 (Alexander, Deese, Eze, Griffin, Hector, Kennedy, Parker, Pittman, Rosas, Skipper, Smith)

Team Roster by draft round

1: 10 (Brockers, Decker, Goff, Harris, Hockenson, M Hughes, Hutchinson, Okudah, Ragnow, Sewell)

2: 3 (Chark, Onwuzurike, Swift)

3: 7 (Anzalone, Harris, Joseph, Mcneil, Melifonwu, J Okwara, Walker)

4: 8 (Barnes, Bryant, Cominsky, Jo Jackson, J Reynolds, St. Brown, Stenberg, Jamaal Williams)

5: 4 (Cephus, Mitchell, Oruwariye, Seibert, Vaitai)

6: 4 (Buggs, Elliott, Rodriguez, Nate Sudfeld)

7: 1 (Lucas)

UDFA: 15 (Board, Brown, Daly, Fox, J Hughes, Be Jones, Kraemer, Nelson, Price, Raymond, C Reynolds, Taylor, Woods, Wright, Zylstra)

Starters by Round:

1: 40.9%

2: 9%

3: 18.1%

4: 13.6%

5: 9%

6: 4.5%

7: 0%

UDFA: 4.5%

PUP/IR/ NRFI

1: 1 (Jameson Williams)

2: 1 (Paschal)

UDFA: 3 (Cabinda, Jacobs, R Okwara)

Practice Squad

1: 1 (Davis)

6: 1 (Houston)

7: 2 (Ju Jackson, Jefferson)

UDFA: 11 (Alexander, Deese, Eze, Griffin, Hector, Kennedy, Parker, Pittman, Rosas, Skipper, Smith)
Lions lack of success with 2nd round picks documented herein.

Lions placed starting right guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai on IR. So their starting offensive line, which never played a snap together, will not play together for at least the first 4 games. Sucks but they have pretty good depth. I'm guessing Tommy Kraemer will start in his place.

Lions placed starting right guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai on IR. So their starting offensive line, which never played a snap together, will not play together for at least the first 4 games. Sucks but they have pretty good depth. I'm guessing Tommy Kraemer will start in his place.

Likely Kraemer, but Evan Brown is a better player, hope they slide him over.

ETA: Logan Stenberg had a better camp and preseason. He’s been a disappointment thus far but maybe the switch finally flipped for him.

Jarod Goff was on 97.1 The Ticket today and he sounds like a great guy. About Hard Knocks as he was on it before. Said remember it is a TV show and they want drama, always telling players to do this or that for more effect. Said you just say no to whatever you don`t want to do.

Asked what he likes and dislikes about Metro-Detroit. Said coming from Cally he really enjoys the seasons change every 3-4 months, even winter.

Dislikes, said the drivers are crazy on 696 and Southfield freeway. Speeding in and out like it is a race. I agree with him.

Season prediction based on nothing more than gut feeling.

1 Sun, Sep 11 vs Philadelphia 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
2 Sun, Sep 18 vs Washington 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
3 Sun, Sep 25 at Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
4 Sun, Oct 2 vs Seattle 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
5 Sun, Oct 9 at New England 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
6 BYE WEEK
7 Sun, Oct 23 at Dallas 1:00 PM CBS __________ L
8 Sun, Oct 30 vs Miami 1:00 PM CBS __________ L
9 Sun, Nov 6 vs Green Bay 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
10 Sun, Nov 13 at Chicago 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
11 Sun, Nov 20 at NY Giants 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
12 Thu, Nov 24 vs Buffalo 12:30 PM CBS __________ L
13 Sun, Dec 4 vs Jacksonville 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
14 Sun, Dec 11 vs Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
15 Sun, Dec 18 at NY Jets 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
16 Sat, Dec 24 at Carolina 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
17 Sun, Jan 1 vs Chicago 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
18 Sun, Jan 8 at Green Bay TBD TBD L

Wheels come off the bus in the first half but strong finish inspires hope for next season.
8-9

Season prediction based on nothing more than gut feeling.

1 Sun, Sep 11 vs Philadelphia 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
2 Sun, Sep 18 vs Washington 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
3 Sun, Sep 25 at Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
4 Sun, Oct 2 vs Seattle 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
5 Sun, Oct 9 at New England 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
6 BYE WEEK
7 Sun, Oct 23 at Dallas 1:00 PM CBS __________ L
8 Sun, Oct 30 vs Miami 1:00 PM CBS __________ L
9 Sun, Nov 6 vs Green Bay 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
10 Sun, Nov 13 at Chicago 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
11 Sun, Nov 20 at NY Giants 1:00 PM FOX __________ L
12 Thu, Nov 24 vs Buffalo 12:30 PM CBS __________ L
13 Sun, Dec 4 vs Jacksonville 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
14 Sun, Dec 11 vs Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
15 Sun, Dec 18 at NY Jets 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
16 Sat, Dec 24 at Carolina 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
17 Sun, Jan 1 vs Chicago 1:00 PM FOX __________ W
18 Sun, Jan 8 at Green Bay TBD TBD L

Wheels come off the bus in the first half but strong finish inspires hope for next season.
8-9

All early games this season without prime time and games out west. Always liked the 4pm starts better.

Last edited:
Loaded up for Bear, (and Viking and whatever a Packer is) in my draft last Saturday.

Swift
Amon Ra
Goff
Jamaal Williams

Swift is the only locked in starter but Amon Ra will be a regular flex play for sure and since it's a super-flex league Goff is a great bench option IMO.

Haven't liked the Lions this much since '91. Man that playoff win against the Cowboys is still pure joy to remember.

And I'm not even a Lions fan.

MCDC said in his presser the most likely scenario is Tommy Kraemer at LG but they’re exploring other combos.
  • Evan Brown at C, slide Ragnow to RG
  • Logan Stenberg at RG. Or LG, switch Jackson to RG (why?)
  • Sewell to RG?? Matt Nelson to RT
Yeah so Kraemer it is, but I do like the thought of having Brown in there. IIRC Frank played G as a rookie before going to his college position after an injury. But Hank Fraley had them doing reps at different spots in TC for this type of situation.

Their backup O line had an awesome preseason game VS the Colts, whichever way they roll should be fine. Way more concerned with whether the defense can get off the field Sunday.

Last edited:
@ttwentyman

Another injury upfront the Lions have to worry about. Pro-Bowl center Frank Ragnow was limited today at practice because of a groin injury. Already lost RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai to back injury for at least first 4 games.

OK, fine, Plan C.

Evan Brown C
Tommy Kraemer RG

This is fine, no problem.

Last edited:
I’m a BIG believer in their O-line depth. We gave all the snaps in ps game 2 to the backups and they absolutely controlled the LOS, just dominated the Colts.

Still, is it too much to ask that our OL play one ****ing snap together? Shades of 2021.

They’ll be fine, RG is the least talented and most easily replaced of the 5. We got some road graders, protection and rushing the ball are the least of our worries.

hello darkness my old friend

Lions shuffle the practice squad OL, sign Ross Pierschbacher

Former Alabama C who has been bouncing around - Conmanders, Eagles & Jets. 5th round pick, 27 y.o., virtually no game experience. But the fact that he’s a center has me skittish our Grizzly Man might not be coming back right away.

OTOH, local source in Detroit (few degrees of separation from Frank’s wife) said he’s def playing Sunday. Sounds made up, we’ll see. Pretty much have to practice Friday IMO. They’ll err on the side of caution and start Evan Brown if they’re not sure he can go.

I'm sure all fans feel this way about their own team, but it feels like the Lions suffer an excessive amount of injuries. By the end of EVERY year we're starting Wayne State cornerbacks.

I at least wanted to watch one game with all our starters.

I'm sure all fans feel this way about their own team, but it feels like the Lions suffer an excessive amount of injuries. By the end of EVERY year we're starting Wayne State cornerbacks.

I at least wanted to watch one game with all our starters.

2nd most starters games lost to injury last year. Third best offensive line in the NFL is a working theory - they’ve never played a regular season snap together.

40% of the OL out, 1st round WR on the NFI, 2nd round DL from last year AND 2nd round DL from this year are both out, three guys who had season ending injuries in 2021 are starting 2022 on the PUP. Every team has to deal with injuries - part of being in the NFL - but dang bro.

If y'all will allow me I'd like to hop on the Lions bandwagon this season.

Credentials:

Spent a summer in Grand Traverse County and another in Monroe County

Inadvertently bought some [redacted] from a random brother in the hood of Battle Creek while driving from Traverse City to Nashville and looking for some [redacted]

Every time I see a Pure Michigan commercial I get sentimental

I predicted the Lions win the division in the Bold Predictions thread

Drafted Roy Williams my first year playing fantasy football

Have also drafted Kevin Smith (rookie), Jahvid Best (rookie), Maurice Morris, Mikel Leshoure (rookie), Joique Bell, Theo Riddick (rookie), TJ Hockenson (rookie), and Amon Ra (rookie)

I loved me some Lions rookie RBs back in the day :lol: :cry: :lol:

Hock never paid off the 2 years I had him and I dropped Amon Ra last year after week 2 for Quintez Cephus :cry:

I just spent $40 on Amon Ra as my WR1 and 100% expect him to lead us to a championship and lead the Lions to the playoffs.

Thanks for all the contributions in this thread, it is probably the most thorough team thread in the Shark Pool.

* Panthers are my home team if that matters

Last edited:
Spent a summer in Grand Traverse County and another in Monroe County

Love TC. The whole of NW Michigan is amazing, my mom spent her retirement summers living in Glen Arbor. Don't know about much about Monroe County except George Custer is from there - we all pass through it on I-75 so everyone knows that - and a bunch of my fraternity brothers came from the county seat (Monroe.)

Anyway, welcome. Oh, and FTP.

When someone asks me why I hate the Packers

(also didn't want FNG to think I meant his Panthers when I wrote FTP)

I think this rebuild is the the last one for me. If it doesn't work out this time I have to find something else to be passionate about. The injuries to Big V and Frank the Tank made me realize these MFers probably really are destined to fail, always and forever, amen. I want to believe things are different because Brad Holmes and MCDC are different. We'll see; they're in Y2 of their six year contracts, I'll be patient.

I feel this way when I watch the playoffs or a truly great rivalry like peak Ravens-Steelers....watching the Bills-Rams last night, I had an epiphany we've never had a team like that. That level of intensity, the physicality of those athletes. The Bills played two rookie CBs last night, hell they had a 6th rounder from Villanova out there. No problem, we got Von and Co collapsing the pocket. That was beautiful to watch. It's too much to ask because that's Hall of Fame level, but that's what I want Aidan to become. Because if you get that level of pressure up front, you can do things like get away with playing two rookie CBs.

I feel like [if] Hutch is just a good player or a solid starter, man I'm out. We don't need good players. We need difference making generational players who absolutely refuse to lose.

I was looking over the Eagles roster the other day. They're not perfect, they have a muddled offensive backfield, nobody is really sure that Hurts is the right QB. But dig around that roster and study the roster construction Howie Roseman has performed since their Super Bowl win four years ago. Son of a *****, there are no holes. That team is stacked. They may not do much more than 11 wins and a loss in the divisional round, but wow are they solid in every positional group, in every phase of the game.

That's the kind of high level efficiency we need from Brad Holmes. Not just one or two good drafts or an occasional star FA or a BARRY/CALVIN/MATTHEW hit that will put fannies in the seats for a decade. Naw, hell no, **** that. I ain't got time for that. I need to know you can build a Super Bowl contender in my lifetime.

My earliest memory in life was being in NYC in the summer of 1966. I was a little bit short of 4 years old. When we went back to our little village of 200 (Gowen) I started telling my friends and cousins I was a city mouse, and one day I was gonna live in a big city. My siblings would say "Get outta here I bet next week you'll say you want to be a fireman."

My earliest memory of being a sports fan was fall 1967. "20 and 24" was about the extent of my sports knowledge. Lem Barney and Mel Farr. This year is the 56th time I've invested in this team. I don't know how much more I can handle. Either it works out for the first time ever this time around, or i gotta go find another way to spend Sunday afternoons in the fall/winter.

Last edited:

I think this rebuild is the the last one for me. If it doesn't work out this time I have to find something else to be passionate about. The injuries to Big V and Frank the Tank made me realize these MFers probably really are destined to fail, always and forever, amen. I want to believe things are different because Brad Holmes and MCDC are different. We'll see; they're in Y2 of their six year contracts, I'll be patient.

I feel this way when I watch the playoffs or a truly great rivalry like peak Ravens-Steelers....watching the Bills-Rams last night, I had an epiphany we've never had a team like that. That level of intensity, the physicality of those athletes. The Bills played two rookie CBs last night, hell they had a 6th rounder from Villanova out there. No problem, we got Von and Co collapsing the pocket. That was beautiful to watch. It's too much to ask bv that's Hall of Fame level, but that's what I want Aidan to become. Because if you get that level of pressure up front, you can do things like get away with playing two rookie CBs.

I feel like Hutch is just a good player or a solid starter, man I'm out. We don't need good players. We need difference making generational players who absolutely refuse to lose.

I was looking over the Eagles roster the other day. They're not perfect, they have a muddled offensive backfield, nobody is really sure that Hurts is the right QB. But dig around that roster and study the roster construction Howie Roseman has performed since their Super Bowl win four years ago. Son of a *****, there are no holes. That team is stacked. They may not do much more than 11 wins and a loss in the divisional round, but wow are they solid in every positional group, in every phase of the game.

That's the kind of high level efficiency we need from Brad Holmes. Not just one or two good drafts or an occasional star FA or a BARRY/CALVIN/MATTHEW hit that will put fannies in the seats for a decade. Naw, hell no, **** that. I ain't got time for that. I need to know you can build a Super Bowl contender in my lifetime.

My earliest memory in life was being in NYC in the summer of 1966. I was a little bit short of 4 years old. When we went back to our little village of 200 (Gowen) I started telling my friends and cousins I was a city mouse, and one day I was gonna live in a big city. My siblings would say "Get outta here I bet next week you'll say you want to be a fireman."

My earliest memory of being a sports fan was fall 1967. "20 and 24" was about the extent of my sports knowledge. Lem Barney and Mel Farr. This year is the 56th time I've invested in this team. I don't know how much more I can handle. Either it works out for the first time ever this time around, or i gotta go find another way to spend Sunday afternoons in the fall/winter.

My daughter just texted me last night and was given 4 free tickets to Sundays game and invited my wife and me. Tailgating at Eastern Market at 9am so it will be festive there. Here I go again.

I feel this way when I watch the playoffs or a truly great rivalry like peak Ravens-Steelers....watching the Bills-Rams last night, I had an epiphany we've never had a team like that. That level of intensity, the physicality of those athletes. The Bills played two rookie CBs last night, hell they had a 6th rounder from Villanova out there. No problem, we got Von and Co collapsing the pocket. That was beautiful to watch. It's too much to ask bv that's Hall of Fame level, but that's what I want Aidan to become. Because if you get that level of pressure up front, you can do things like get away with playing two rookie CBs.

I feel like Hutch is just a good player or a solid starter, man I'm out. We don't need good players. We need difference making generational players who absolutely refuse to lose.

My daughter just texted me last night and was given 4 free tickets to Sundays game and invited my wife and me. Tailgating at Eastern Market at 9am so it will be festive there. Here I go again.

haha awesome, enjoy yourself man

:thumbup:

Ford Field can get loud....it hasn't for like 5 years, but Michigan fans are great football people

haha awesome, enjoy yourself man

:thumbup:

Ford Field can get loud....it hasn't for like 5 years, but Michigan fans are great football people
I would love for the Lions to be in the game in the 4th quarter because the crowd would be a huge advantage. You can't hear yourself when the crowd is into it.

Rams loss helps next years draft. Hopefully its a trend this year. But Bills look like this year's best team.
The Bills looked great for sure but the Rams should be very concerned about their offensive line. They looked terrible. The defense was even worse.

Rams loss helps next years draft. Hopefully its a trend this year. But Bills look like this year's best team.
The Bills looked great for sure but the Rams should be very concerned about their offensive line. They looked terrible. The defense was even worse.

The Bills had the best defense in the league last year, and then landed Von Miller. Little early to say if the Rams have a good OL (but year, 7 sacks is ridiculous.)

Lions signed a German Kicker, Dominik Eberle, to the Practice Squad. Seibert was limited Wednesday but practiced in full Thursday. Eberle has bounced to like 5 teams in 3 years so probably nothing there, but in his one game (Texans K had Covid) he scored 11 points with a 51 yarder (also missed from 52.) Was 167/167 on XP in college. If nothing else, gives Amon-Ra someone to chat with in German.

Not a fan of Seibert on kickoffs or long FG, would like to see them try someone different. Patterson was consistent last year but doesn't really have range/big leg. Lions fans have been spoiled with great kickers through the years.

now Tommy Kraemer is hurt and will probably miss Sunday’s game (“it’s looking grim”)

I **** you not

3rd stringer Logan Stenberg will go at RG & backup Evan Brown at C

first question

:lol:

“Look, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter, nobody cares, man. You go out and win with the guys you have.”

Frank Ragnow sounds close but I’d think it’ll be next week.

MCDC says they have options if need be (e.g., quick hook if Logan isn’t getting it done.)

listened to Ben Johnson yesterday & same answer from Campbell today - they’re not saying who will call plays (by now it’s a running joke when the reporters ask bc they know they’re not saying.) I think Dan likes being the playcaller but sounds like it’ll be collaborative.

first question

:lol:

“Look, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter, nobody cares, man. You go out and win with the guys you have.”

Frank Ragnow sounds close but I’d think it’ll be next week.

MCDC says they have options if need be (e.g., quick hook if Logan isn’t getting it done.)

listened to Ben Johnson yesterday & same answer from Campbell today - they’re not saying who will call plays (by now it’s a running joke when the reporters ask bc they know they’re not saying.) I think Dan likes being the playcaller but sounds like it’ll be collaborative.
Dan likes play calling too much. I think if it starts to interfere with his role as HC, he will let it go. He probably should.

Users who are viewing this thread