What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (56 Viewers)

Detroit fan base is as excited as if they are 10-2 ready to secure a division title. The reality is they are 5-7 and are a very long shot to sneak into the final wild card spot. But what the fan base see is a Lions team with a top 5 offense and a defense that has finally figured out a few things and somehow turned a switch mid-season and went from absolutely atrocious to a decent if not above average defense. There are a few solid pieces and with 4 picks in the first two rounds next year, this is the best situation this franchise has been in. It is silly that a 5-7 team feels confident that are taking down a 10-2 team, but every single person in that 5-7 locker room today believe they are getting a W today. Next year the expectations are a top 5 offense and a top 10 defense, which translates into a legit SB contender.
Yes they might be the best team in the NFC North not just next season but right now. In order to consistently be in playoff contention, you need to rule your division. So far the Lions look like they match up great against Vikings, Packers, Bears.

Detroit fan base is as excited as if they are 10-2 ready to secure a division title. The reality is they are 5-7 and are a very long shot to sneak into the final wild card spot. But what the fan base see is a Lions team with a top 5 offense and a defense that has finally figured out a few things and somehow turned a switch mid-season and went from absolutely atrocious to a decent if not above average defense. There are a few solid pieces and with 4 picks in the first two rounds next year, this is the best situation this franchise has been in. It is silly that a 5-7 team feels confident that are taking down a 10-2 team, but every single person in that 5-7 locker room today believe they are getting a W today. Next year the expectations are a top 5 offense and a top 10 defense, which translates into a legit SB contender.
Yes they might be the best team in the NFC North not just next season but right now. In order to consistently be in playoff contention, you need to rule your division. So far the Lions look like they match up great against Vikings, Packers, Bears.

The Lions may not be the best team in the NFC, but there is not a single team the Lions don't think they can beat and there are a lot of teams in the NFC that don't want the Lions to get that final wild card spot.

4 games left, need to win all 4. 3 games are on the road which are always tough.

The Jets are the best team left. Weather could slow down our offense. Current forecast is decent though, 40 small chance of rain.

Carolina is decent, but a very winnable road game.

Bears at home, should be the closest thing to a slam dunk, but still a divisional game so will be close.

Green Bay at Lambeau in January could will likely be an ice bowl and throws a huge wrench into the equation. This game worries me.

Just have to play them one at a time. Still very much on the outside looking in, but regardless, this is a legit team and fun to watch.

Just gonna suggest, even if they don't win another game this season, this Lions team is good enough to trade out of the 3-4 spot and start stockpiling picks.

4 picks in the first two rounds. If an elite defender is available, there is no way you trade. Besides, Detroit has some cap space next year, so they can afford to pick up a couple of pieces in the FA market. Next year this team should be stacked. The only thing that is a hole on offense is at TE. Well and maybe a stud RB who can stay healthy.

Lions Playoff Hopes. 4 teams, 2 spots.

Seattle 7-5 Games Remaining: Carolina (L 20-14, Half), SF, @KC, NY Jets, LA Rams
Wash 7-5-1 Games Remaining: Giants, @SF, Cleveland, Dallas
Giants 7-5-1 Games Remaining: Wash, @Minn, Ind, @Philly
Lions 6-7 Games Remaining: @ Jets, @Carolina,, Chicago, @GB

Lions need to pass two of the three teams.

Lions win out......need Seattle to lose 3 of 5, Giants to lose 2 of 4, Washington to lose 2 of 4.

Lions win 3 of 4....need Seattle to lose 4 of 5, Giants to lose 3 of 4, Washington to lose 3 of 4.

It hurts the Giants play Washington next week, so there is one team who wins one. SF just lost Deebo, so that increases Seattle & Washington chances for a win. If Seattle loses today, that would be a nice boost.

Winning out gives the Lions a very good chance, but far from a guarantee. Losing just one game, it takes a whole bunch of help.

4 games left, need to win all 4. 3 games are on the road which are always tough.

The Jets are the best team left. Weather could slow down our offense. Current forecast is decent though, 40 small chance of rain.

Bears at home, should be the closest thing to a slam dunk, but still a divisional game so will be close.

Green Bay at Lambeau in January could will likely be an ice bowl and throws a huge wrench into the equation. This game worries me.

Just have to play them one at a time. Still very much on the outside looking in, but regardless, this is a legit team and fun to watch.

Why did the Vikings go for 2 instead of kicking the PAT to go down by 7? Made no sense at that point of the game.

Just gonna suggest, even if they don't win another game this season, this Lions team is good enough to trade out of the 3-4 spot and start stockpiling picks.

4 picks in the first two rounds. If an elite defender is available, there is no way you trade. Besides, Detroit has some cap space next year, so they can afford to pick up a couple of pieces in the FA market. Next year this team should be stacked. The only thing that is a hole on offense is at TE. Well and maybe a stud RB who can stay healthy.
It depends on who is available at 3-4. It's a situation where there could be a QB another team covets and the Lions would only have to drop back a couple spots, if the GM is really good they may only have to move back one spot.

All I am saying is they are now in position to consider those type of moves. Who would have thought that when they were 1-6?

It depends on who is available at 3-4. It's a situation where there could be a QB another team covets and the Lions would only have to drop back a couple spots, if the GM is really good they may only have to move back one spot.

All I am saying is they are now in position to consider those type of moves. Who would have thought that when they were 1-6?
I'm sure Holmes will keep his options open. Nobody expected him to trade up for Jamo last year, and when I say nobody I mean nobody.

I'm sure Holmes will keep his options open. Nobody expected him to trade up for Jamo last year, and when I say nobody I mean nobody.
I have a sneaking suspension Nobody may have been wrong on that one.

With the team inproving at a rapid rate Lions have to stick with Goff. They can`t bring in a rookie and take 2 steps backwards at this point.

Goff is playing at a high level right now in this system. A couple of the so called bad passes were thrown away uncatchable to avoid losses.

Actually, there was a YouTube video on Jamo Alabama highlights and a month prior to the draft the first comment was that the Lions should package up their late first and a second and trade up for Jamo.

With the team inproving at a rapid rate Lions have to stick with Goff. They can`t bring in a rookie and take 2 steps backwards at this point.

Goff is playing at a high level right now in this system. A couple of the so called bad passes were thrown away uncatchable to avoid losses.
I think we need to see how the Lions do on the road against the Jets, Panthers and Packers first.

The Lions have been...beasts at home all year but have had a couple ugly roadies. The Jets game will be very interesting.

Actually, there was a YouTube video on Jamo Alabama highlights and a month prior to the draft the first comment was that the Lions should package up their late first and a second and trade up for Jamo.
I always wondered where NFL GMs did their research.

Thanks

Why did the Vikings go for 2 instead of kicking the PAT to go down by 7? Made no sense at that point of the game.

The only logic I could think of is that it was a road game and they did not want to go to Overtime, so they played for winning outright in regulation.

Jamo was blown coverage by a reserve S

Deep ball to Chark was a dot, hit him in stride & with not a ton of separation

haven’t seen that kind of confidence in his long ball arm in awhile

he’ll never be that guy anyway - the Allen/Mahome/Rodgers deep ball hero

but he doesn’t have to be; he’s efficient when he plays within himself

and just when they think they know how to contain the underneath stuff he hits a 9 to Jamo or D.J.

OL is doing a good job of giving him a pocket

Ben Johnson is a bonafide offensive genius

He has Carolina roots and they may come for him but hoping we can keep him & Jared together for a couple more years

they are vibing and that doesn’t always happen, it’s a special pairing

Ben Johnson is a bonafide offensive genius
Shut up!!!

No he's Lloyd Christmas's younger and more underachieving brother...

Unless the Raiders want to hire him.

He's had a long connection with Campbell so, if you're a Lions fan you should have deep concerns if he gets hired away. I love Campbell but we have to question if he can keep churning out staff.

Goff actually has a perfectly acceptable arm/deep ball. It’s not top tier by any means, but also isn’t bad enough to limit the capability and effectiveness of WRs who run deep routes and look to do their damage there primarily. He just hasn’t ever thrown it with confidence since his early days at the Rams when he was flying with McVey.

He also seems to have just generally improved in other facts as he’s matured. Hardly an illogical concept, but often the notion of that type of thing happening is overlooked/under appreciated in this sport.

I still wonder if he quite has the mental fortitude and the dog in him to be that type of player that can repeatedly get a team over the line, when all the big moments and games happen. I also don’t think he’s the best QB under pressure and is a product of how good the line is, which thankfully is great right now.

Coaching matters. Schemes matter. Quality of surrounding players matter. It’s been a topic on this forum recently

My gut instinct tells me we are one game too far behind at this point. A real shame because a few of those early games were such close calls

I do occasionally fantasise about Stafford with this OC, this line and running game because all three are better than he has at any point in his Lions tenure

Last edited:
People ***** about Campbell's risk taking, but the fake punt and Sewell reception will not be criticized. I generally like Campbell risks taking, but that 55 yard FG attempt against the Vikings was just dumb.

You guys noticing how Coach Campbell is becoming calmer? I mean on a relative basis.

He knows when to turn it up to get the guys fired up, but I like how in postgame he was just matter of fact. "That was a good win for us."

Has to be satisfying for everyone on the staff to see them turn around a 1-6 season

Regardless of where they end up, tremendous strides as a team - they can play with anyone in the league.

@BenjaminSRaven
·
1h

asked Isaiah Buggs if he knew Cook was trying to throw it on the FF: "We smelled a rat. I kinda smelled it at the beginning, they was doing a lot of talking and I kinda smelled it out. I had to alert the line, let them know what was going on and then just went and made a play."

Aidan Hutchinson called Buggs an anchor for the Lions, saying: "When we were down and out, he was one of those guys that was an anchor for our team. Now he’s going out there and making the plays. It’s just -- that’s what you want your leaders to do.”

Alim McNeil and Buggs are why we shut down Barkley in New Jersey and Cook today. Great work clogging up the middle.

Besides the FF, Buggs also stuffed Cook on 4th and 1 (with Okudah coming in off the edge to finish it off)

S C.J. Moore rushed for a 42-yard gain on a fake punt.

Moore now has 4 carries for 86 yards (21.5 avg.) in his career, the 5th-most rushing yards by a DB in team history.

Detroit is 6-of-7 on fake punt attempts over the past two seasons.

(Mr Jack Fox is 3 out of 4 passing for 44 yards - first downs of 21, 17 and 6 - and passer rating of 110.4.)

Lions Playoff Hopes. 4 teams, 2 spots.

Seattle 7-5 Games Remaining: Carolina (L 20-14, Half), SF, @KC, NY Jets, LA Rams
Wash 7-5-1 Games Remaining: Giants, @SF, Cleveland, Dallas
Giants 7-5-1 Games Remaining: Wash, @Minn, Ind, @Philly
Lions 6-7 Games Remaining: @ Jets, @Carolina,, Chicago, @GB

Lions need to pass two of the three teams.

Lions win out......need Seattle to lose 3 of 5, Giants to lose 2 of 4, Washington to lose 2 of 4.

Lions win 3 of 4....need Seattle to lose 4 of 5, Giants to lose 3 of 4, Washington to lose 3 of 4.

It hurts the Giants play Washington next week, so there is one team who wins one. SF just lost Deebo, so that increases Seattle & Washington chances for a win. If Seattle loses today, that would be a nice boost.

Winning out gives the Lions a very good chance, but far from a guarantee. Losing just one game, it takes a whole bunch of help.
Lions need Dallas to beat Philly. They both will then be going all out the last week.

Agree. I think you potentially take a guy with some measurables in the 3rd either this year or next with the goal of developing them, but Goff can perform behind this offensive line. Next year's QB class seems deep so that might be the time.

Onward and upward. Tough road matchup vs. Jets. Lions have already won in that stadium but Jets > Giants imo. Advance odds had NYJ -3 but now I'm seeing them at -1.

People ***** about Campbell's risk taking, but the fake punt and Sewell reception will not be criticized. I generally like Campbell risks taking, but that 55 yard FG attempt against the Vikings was just dumb.
Didn't care for the fake punt myself so deep in our zone. To me that's the type of play that can lose a game for you but not necessarily win it. MCDC does have big balls. That said the Lions execution was top notch on that play and most of the other fakes/tricks this year.

The Minnesota coach attempted to match MCDC's aggressiveness, but the execution was lacking as seen on the first 4th down, goal line trick play and the missed two-point conversion.

Mike White took a beating today - left the game twice (ribs) & rode to a Buffalo hospital postgame to get checked for internal bleeding

might be facing Zach Wilson

mentioned in the game thread we had one penalty v Jax and five in the first 12 minutes v MIN

only 2 penalties rest of the way - taunting on Jarren Williams after the fake punt, and a phantom holding call on Logan Stenberg (Lions converted anyways)

Lions committed more dumb penalties in this game than what we are used to seeing. The taunting, hit out of bounds, lining up offside stand out. Though I was surprised the Minnesota player was not penalized for the head bunt after the taunting. The number of penalties called were the same number on both teams as the first game. There were seven on the Lions and three on the Vikes.

A difference in the first game was the Lion penalties were called related to the Vikes passing game: interference and holding.

Mike White took a beating today - left the game twice (ribs) & rode to a Buffalo hospital postgame to get checked for internal bleeding

might be facing Zach Wilson

mentioned in the game thread we had one penalty v Jax and five in the first 12 minutes v MIN

only 2 penalties rest of the way - taunting on Jarren Williams after the fake punt, and a phantom holding call on Logan Stenberg (Lions converted anyways)
In FF I had maneuvered to pick up White to possibly start him at home against Lions next week. My other choices were Fields home vs Philly and Geno at SF.

No one was sadder on the field than TJ hockenson.
He didn't ask to be traded. Hopefully we learn more details concerning the trade.

Hock had another good week (despite the lost fumble on the Stanford band play to end it)

He's a good player

We saw several instances yesterday of Brock Wright or Shane Zylstra or Jason Cabinda making a block that was part of a chunk play

Sometimes teams become better by subtracting someone who isn't a good fit - could be schematically, a particular skill set, locker room issues, just doesn't have a mindset that meshes - who knows

Whatever the case, Lions are being successful without him and I have no doubt Hockenson will continue to be close to Pro Bowl TE

No one was sadder on the field than TJ hockenson.
He didn't ask to be traded. Hopefully we learn more details concerning the trade.

Hock had another good week (despite the lost fumble on the Stanford band play to end it)

He's a good player

We saw several instances yesterday of Brock Wright or Shane Zylstra or Jason Cabinda making a block that was part of a chunk play

Sometimes teams become better by subtracting someone who isn't a good fit - could be schematically, a particular skill set, locker room issues, just doesn't have a mindset that meshes - who knows

Whatever the case, Lions are being successful without him and I have no doubt Hockenson will continue to be close to Pro Bowl TE

Hockenson is better off with the Vikings. He is their go to guy for those 3rd down/short yardage plays. Detroit has this guy that is always open, has better hands, and is just much tougher to stop. Amon-Ra is our chain mover. The Vikings needed a guy and Hock is pretty effective. But he is no Amon-Ra and Hock just was not that important to Detroit game plan. A TE's who blocks is more valueable. We just need a guy who can catch a couple balls a game.

Carolina win massive 2 different ways - Seattle lose AND for Rams pick

freaking Denver (prayers up for Russ) - so close to winning their 4th game, but they have ARI and at LAR coming up

it's close between DEN (.486) and LAR (.502) in SOS

Broncos finish with KC and LAC so maybe they pass the Rams (last 4 - @GB DEN @LAC @ SEA) - I'm not sure about the math

Cards and Saints probably win one more to get to 5 wins

CHI has a brutal finish (PHI BUF @DET MIN) but they lose the tiebreaker so just need them to pull one out of their ***

Right now Detroit has the 4th pick but 3rd is on the table, 2nd we'll need some divine intervention

Users who are viewing this thread