What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (9 Viewers)

Yes, it would not bother me if they went almost all defense. They can get FA's to fill in on offense.

To steal a line from TDN's story on RBs, "Free agency also offers a few options, such as Latavius Murray, Eddie Lacy and LeGarrette Blount. Lions general manager Bob Quinn knows Blount well from his time in New England."
RB is a worthless position. There are so many good backs entering the league that there aren't enough spots for them. I feel bad for RBs.

The TE class is really athletic, but I hope Detroit doesn't spend a high pick on one. Sign Jack Doyle for cheap. He seemed to have a nice year and seems like a solid safety valve for Stafford to replace some of the type of things Boldin did. PFF ranked him as a top 20 NFL TE as both receiver and blocker. 

Also there are lot of interesting CB FA like Gilmore, Amukamara, Ryan. Would love to see one of those guys sign. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The TE class is really athletic, but I hope Detroit doesn't spend a high pick on one. Sign Jack Doyle for cheap. He seemed to have a nice year and seems like a solid safety valve for Stafford to replace some of the type of things Boldin did. PFF ranked him as a top 20 NFL TE as both receiver and blocker. 

Also there are lot of interesting CB FA like Gilmore, Amukamara, Ryan. Would love to see one of those guys sign. 
Ebron's dead money next season is $3.397M, & if they exercise their option the cap hit is $3.897M.

Think about that. It should tell you how out of favor he is; a $500K delta s/b a no brainer.

Preloaded tweet reply when he feigns shock they aren't bringing him back: "Blocking, concentration & effort are not optional, bron."

Ebron's dead money next is $3.397M, & if they exercise their option the cap hit is $3.897M.

Think about that. It should tell you how out of favor he is; a $500K delta s/b a no brainer.

Preloaded tweet reply when he feigns shock they aren't brining him back: "Blocking, concentration & effort are not optional, bron."
I take it as a given he will be back 

I take it as a given he will be back 
Oh

:mellow:

I'm not around there so you probably have a better read on it. At YE & during the playoffs the beat writer consensus seemed to be they'll let him walk, but I guess we'll have a better sense in 8 weeks. The option tender deadline isn't until 10 days after the draft.

Freep article on top ten FA fits:

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Ten free-agent fits for the Detroit Lions

http://on.freep.com/2lIM2Bq

I like how the beat writers can only come up with current/former Patriots players as possible FA additions.  Nice work guys.

I like how the beat writers can only come up with current/former Patriots players as possible FA additions.  Nice work guys.
Just playing off the "Lions want to be the Pats" idea, I doubt Lions spend a lot on an FA LB. It would make more sense to go after a big FA CB. Pats signed Revis is a big deal (big money, short time though). To me, Gilmore makes a ton of sense. All of a sudden, the secondary would be a real strength of the team. Slay and Gilmore would be a great combo and the Lions defense seems to lend itself to Gilmore's style of press coverage. He might be my top target for the Lions. Then use the draft to put athletes into the front 7. 

Warrilow is a backup level player so whatever. Wagner was rated as a top level  pass blocking RT and has been really durable. Love this move.

Lions are signing everyone.

Are these guys good?

Lions reached agreement with DL Cornelius Washington, per source.

Akeem Spence to Detroit. Three years, $10.5 million. Source.

Lions are signing everyone.

Are these guys good?

Lions reached agreement with DL Cornelius Washington, per source.

Akeem Spence to Detroit. Three years, $10.5 million. Source.
@Justin_Rogers - 2m
If anyone cares, PFF hates Spence and has always hated Spence.

Torrey Smith got a reasonable contract with Philly. Damn, could have been a nice fit in Detroit. 
He's a one-trick pony, and Stafford didn't take proper advantage of Calvin, who was 500% better.  I have zero confidence that the Loins would be able to use him properly as a guy who you use to take 2-3 deep shots a game and hope for a home run (or PI call).

So to recap lions off-season so far

Signed:

TJ Lang - OG

ricky Wagoner - OT

Akeem Spence - DT

Keshawn Martin - WR

Darren Fells - TE

DJ Hayden - CB

Cornelius Washington -DE

Paul Worrilow - LB

Detroit Lions exclusive rights free-agents WR T.J. Jones and DE Kerry Hyder were tendered

Updating a previous report, Detroit Lions DT Khyri Thornton's two-year deal is worth $3.6 million.

Don Muhlbach staying in Detroit    

DeAndre Levy was cut

Riely Rieff signs in Minnesota

Larry Warford signs in New Orleans

Bob Quinn if nothing else has been busy adding depth and replenishing the Oline starters

I think he needs to bring Anquan Boldin back.

Assuming Lang recovers completely, the right side of the line really improved. Lang, Wagner and Fells are all near the top in the league in pass blocking.

He's a one-trick pony, and Stafford didn't take proper advantage of Calvin, who was 500% better.  I have zero confidence that the Loins would be able to use him properly as a guy who you use to take 2-3 deep shots a game and hope for a home run (or PI call).
It's the 1 trick we need though

Bills sign philly brown, thank god. Seems like the fa WRs have dried up, but a lot of teams I thought would make some changes didn't (Dallas resigns Williams for example, Baltimore quiet) I suppose kamar Aiken would be the last "boldin replacement" outside the draft that I would like.

TJ Lang is a Pro Bowl G, two awesome OL signings this week. Love it.
A little concerned about Lang's health playing on turf.  Two hip injuries and two foot injuries last two seasons has to be of some concern.  Like his talent but I also liked Warford who at 25 is 5 years younger.  Reiff played better than expected last season at RT but Wagner should be an upgrade.

Not counting Levy as a loss as he has not played in 2 seasons anyway. #1 needs looks to be at LB right now as they are a little shallow there. Don`t want them reaching on a RB early.  Would like to see them grab a TE at some point in the draft and let Ebron walk after his contract is up next season.

A little surprised they let Andre Roberts get away to Atlanta. Was not making much and was explosive when given the chance last season.  Thought he was a good depth guy.

Not counting Levy as a loss as he has not played in 2 seasons anyway. #1 needs looks to be at LB right now as they are a little shallow there. Don`t want them reaching on a RB early. 
Some positions have become more of a depth/rotation thing, but imo LB is one that you need a couple really good ones that can play most snaps. Even the 3rd guy gets subbed out for an extra DB on obvious passing downs. So I also would like that position addressed as early as possible. RB should be a short yardage grinder which might not cost too early of a pick.

Some positions have become more of a depth/rotation thing, but imo LB is one that you need a couple really good ones that can play most snaps. Even the 3rd guy gets subbed out for an extra DB on obvious passing downs. So I also would like that position addressed as early as possible. RB should be a short yardage grinder which might not cost too early of a pick.
Sign Blount if the price is right.   Would be a nice fit between Riddick and AA.

Should the Lions trade up for Fournette?

Bumping this thread because talk like this is making me crazy.  We don't need RB unless AA is shot.  Even then I'm perfectly happy to go in with ZZ, DW, TR and an improved O-Line if it means we can continue to improve our defense.  I would be open to WR/TE in the first even but RB I just can't see being good for the long term health of the franchise as quickly as they come and go.  

Also maybe showing my homer colors here but I'd be stoked if they landed Peppers at 21 or even moved down and snagged him. 

Should the Lions trade up for Fournette?

Bumping this thread because talk like this is making me crazy.  We don't need RB unless AA is shot.  Even then I'm perfectly happy to go in with ZZ, DW, TR and an improved O-Line if it means we can continue to improve our defense.  I would be open to WR/TE in the first even but RB I just can't see being good for the long term health of the franchise as quickly as they come and go.  

Also maybe showing my homer colors here but I'd be stoked if they landed Peppers at 21 or even moved down and snagged him. 
Like many here I'm all in for drafting defense, its not like the O shouldn't improve already with a better OL. Maybe a RB after the first 3 rounds.

RB is one of their lowest needs imo.  Offense was not their issue last year, allowing ~74% completions was a far bigger problem.  Based on what Quinn has done so far I expect him to upgrade the defense early.

Current hopeful targets for rd 1 

1. Hasaan Reddick

Weakside playmaker that can take Levy's role and do everything: run, rush and cover. I think he is a pretty safe bet with the athletic skills to be an elite 4-3 LB. 

2. Reuben Foster

MLB that can stuff the middle and get to the edges. Plays with an aggressive edge that people love in a LB, but also has an Ernie Sims downside (reckless abandon used against him, injuries). 

3.  Taco Charlton

Boring pick IMO, but he's a nice fit across from Ziggy. I don't see a big potential as pass rusher, but can play as a big end and set the edge against RTs and TEs on the strong side. 

Against the grain pick

4. John Ross

The one glaring weakness on the Lions offense is speed. They don't have much. Ross would instantly change that. The stress he could put on opposing secondaries would create space in the middle of the field for our YAC guys like Tate, Ameer, and Theo. I think he could instantly transform the Lions offense from good to great. I know the Lions desperately need defense, but sometimes the way to get better is to build up strengths as much as it is to cover weakness. The big concern would be his extensive injury history. If they went with Ross, I don't know that I would be totally happy, but I would take it better than most Lions fans IMO. 

2nd round

Quincy Wilson, Budda Baker or Desmond King. Lions need athletes all over defense, but secondary is an especially thin position for the modern NFL game. It's really important to get a good young player back there that can do something. Baker can do it all. King is a ballhawk and Wilson has the size/speed combo to deal with big strong NFL WRs. 

Wildcard 2nd Rd is Curtis Samuel. The risk is he is a man without a clear NFL ready role but he has NFL ready athleticism. He can help provide the extra help the Lions need in the run game and be a field stretcher in the passing game. 

Users who are viewing this thread