What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (214 Viewers)

Lions have been highly underrated all year. I'm not saying they're  very good, but they're solid despite being largely considered trash.

Went to the game today. It was warm for Detroit in November with clear sky and sun. The tailgating around the stadium was the best I remember at Fords Field. Lots of Bills fans who were all mingling and having a good time.

Both teams played a good game. Lions missed a couple plays that could have changed the game. But that is the case in every close game. I really don`t believe in moral victories in the NFL with pro players. Lions could have won this game or at least put in into OT but just did not happen.

The last third and one call bothered me. If DC had already decided to kick a FG to tie why throw a deep pass that fell incomplete and stopped the clock and possible been picked off? Also Chark has not played all year and turned inside when throw was outside. Not sure if that was on him or Goff.

Lions pick up the first down and they still had TOs and could have ran the clock down so Bills had no chance in regulation. When you have a chance to win these type of games it hurts to let them slip away. 5-6 and they have a legit playoff chance. 4-7 makes it more difficult and room for error is smaller.

This team without a doubt is better and plays hard but in reality, Lions have had some questionable coaching and time management decisions that have cost them this season.

The last third and one call bothered me. If DC had already decided to kick a FG to tie why throw a deep pass that fell incomplete and stopped the clock and possible been picked off? Also Chark has not played all year and turned inside when throw was outside. Not sure if that was on him or Goff.

Lions pick up the first down and they still had TOs and could have ran the clock down so Bills had no chance in regulation. When you have a chance to win these type of games it hurts to let them slip away. 5-6 and they have a legit playoff chance. 4-7 makes it more difficult and room for error is smaller.

This team without a doubt is better and plays hard but in reality, Lions have had some questionable coaching and time management decisions that have cost them this season.

Ty Schalter
@tyschalter
·
16h

LIONS FANS: “Our play-calling is the worst in the league, Dan Campbell should be fired right now”
NATIONAL NFL ANALYSTS: “Lost it at the end, but the Lions’ staff coached their brains out today”

3rd and 1 overhead

Take your pick: ball came out quick - it was there to Chark, they just weren't on the same page, Jared threw an out and D.J. ran a go - but if he goes through his progression he's got ARSB underneath, Zylstra on a seam, deep square in to Kalif. OL gave him a pocket, #52 is on a delay blitz and maybe the reason he threw right away. Still, great scheme by Ben Johnson.

Clock management is not a 1/0 binary. I have no issue with how they ran the end game two minute offense. Take your time, trying to balance giving yourself a shot to tie or win while not leaving them enough time. If they convert the 3rd & 1 they have all the timeouts and unlimited options - take shots, run any play you want, run the clock down to take your chances in overtime.

To all the E-Z-boy experts thinking they have to run the ball there, 1) they had a ton of negative plays up the middle, the backups to the backups guards were not getting as good a push as they normally do. "You have to run there to force Buffalo to use their timeouts." 2) the Bills had all 3, we run and Buffalo uses one immediately. Bills didn't need their timeouts to get into position for the game winner so was that really the reason they lost? People are overstating the impact on the outcome without taking into full consideration the various permutations.

It's easy to just blame the guy in charge and say that's why they lost.

Coaches coach and players play. Chark/Goff make that play, Kerby Joseph plays the ball and breaks up the long one to Diggs on the last drive....coulda woulda shoulda. This was the kind of game the Lions usually fold easily. Lost fumble, missed chip shot, took a safety - they overcame all that adversity to stay in it to the end.

Thought Ben Johnson had a brilliant game plan.

Hutch was quiet, didn't register a single stat, but overall Aaron Glenn's crew played well. At one point Diggs was 3-12 on 10 targets, then caught his last 5 after that - after Jerry Jacobs went out. Bit N/A since Hughes (#23) had Stefon most of the day but there seemed to be a ripple effect. Allen was 16/33, then completed 8 of his last 9. Those are great players making great plays when it matters most. Lions needed someone to step up like that and didn't get it. Lions D had two 3 n outs, forced 4 punts (is that a season high lol?), had a red zone interception. After the safety game could have blown up, defense stepped up after the free kick and forced a punt after 4 plays.

Lot of progress. Lot to be hopeful about. Losing sucks, 4-7 isn't good enough, but when most of your defense is age 24 and under there are going to be growing pains. They're getting better. They are on the right path.

Last edited:
Also, 3/3 on 4th down yesterday - appropriately aggressive but not overly so. Feel like Campbell has grown a lot in the last month. Trusts the players more. Has more faith the defense can make an occasional play so doesn't have to be balls to the wall 24/7.

Badgely missed his first kick all year (announcers jinx), a freaking 29 yarder to boot....but how clutch was that 51 yarder to tie it? Gets lost in the disappointment but kudos, maybe we have some stability there for a change. Plus he can handle kickoffs (Mr Jack Fox is a great punter but can't consistently hit it deep.)

Truly amazing how many close games they have lost, shown by their point spread record over the last 2 years. Anyone that follows stats knows that positive regression usually occurs sooner or later.

Truly amazing how many close games they have lost, shown by their point spread record over the last 2 years. Anyone that follows stats knows that positive regression usually occurs sooner or later.

Last 9 games the Vikings are 8-1, all one score games. That's not sustainable.

OTOH, good teams find a way to win. You don't have to be perfect to win in the NFL. You just need to make a few more plays than the other team. It truly is only a couple.

Feels frustrating they are 4-7, could be the inverse.

I'm quick to defend Dan Campbell and the coaching staff. I think he has been very good during the winning streak and I can accept all the decisions in yesterday's game, with the exception of the 3rd and 1 and field goal. To be in that position and end up giving the Bills the ball back with multiple timeouts and 26 seconds was poor game management.

I'm okay with going for the win and 3rd and 1 - the play design worked - but if you run that play, you HAVE to go for it on 4th. I would have lived with the consequences. Giving the ball back to Josh Allen with PLENTY of time to get into field goal range was a terrible decision IMO.

I'm quick to defend Dan Campbell and the coaching staff. I think he has been very good during the winning streak and I can accept all the decisions in yesterday's game, with the exception of the 3rd and 1 and field goal. To be in that position and end up giving the Bills the ball back with multiple timeouts and 26 seconds was poor game management.

I'm okay with going for the win and 3rd and 1 - the play design worked - but if you run that play, you HAVE to go for it on 4th. I would have lived with the consequences. Giving the ball back to Josh Allen with PLENTY of time to get into field goal range was a terrible decision IMO.

Heard a clip from Goff and he said it was on him. Chark was not the main target but Goff said he saw the 1-1 matchup and thought it was there.

A run is a called play to a certain spot.

A pass play the QB can decide where he wants to go with the ball. In that situation a deep pass on third down is a low % play even if it worked.

EDIT: Just watched the relay in slo motion. Had Goff thrown the ball inside there was a good chance for a completion and TD. Chark had a step on the DB and raised his hand wanting to ball. There was no safety help on Chark. Also St. Brown was open on a crossing route that probably would have picked up at least 10 if not more.

Last edited:
Heard a clip from Goff and he said it was on him. Chark was not the main target but Goff said he saw the 1-1 matchup and thought it was there.

Heard that last night. Maybe he's being straight, but I thought that was just Jared being a good leader and taking the blame. That goes with the territory. Going into the game Chark had run 4 routes since Week 3. I'm 80% sure the correct read there - ESPECIALLY given the game situation - is D.J. breaks it off, thus the back shoulder throw.

But you don't throw your teammates under the bus. Go over that stuff behind closed doors next week, not from the podium postgame.

Meh, 26 seconds isn't really "plenty" of time. They had a defensive breakdown that give big chunk yardage. No way Diggs should have been that open.

Meh, 26 seconds isn't really "plenty" of time. They had a defensive breakdown that give big chunk yardage. No way Diggs should have been that open.

I agree Diggs should not have been that open, but he was. if you watched the Buffalo-KC playoff game 26 seconds is more than enough with TOs. Just took one chunk play.

I agree Diggs should not have been that open, but he was. if you watched the Buffalo-KC playoff game 26 seconds is more than enough with TOs. Just took one chunk play.
Well clearly it's enough, but with a competent defense it isn't exactly likely either.

Diggs

TD at the start, chunk play starts at 24 seconds (multiple angles) - wasn't wide open, barely beat Joseph coming over to break it up

Two great players made a great play

Things went downhill when Jerry Jacobs went out with a concussion. He had a strong game.

Rodriguez got the top PFF grade of the week on defense - 6 tackles, PD deflection that Anzalone intercepted

Houston had 2 sacks in only 5 snaps

Cominsky had 8 pressures (Hutch 2)

Top PFF-graded offensive players.
  • WR Amon-Ra St. Brown -- 89.8
  • RB D'Andre Swift -- 74.1
  • C Frank Ragnow -- 71.5
  • QB Jared Goff -- 67.6
  • TE James Mitchell -- 66.6
Worst PFF-graded offensive players
  • TE Shane Zylstra -- 50.0
  • T Matt Nelson -- 48.6
  • G Kayode Awosika -- 47.1
  • G Dan Skipper -- 35.1
  • TE Brock Wright -- 33.1
Top PFF-graded defensive players
  • LB Malcolm Rodriguez -- 90.5
  • DT Benito Jones -- 79.6
  • DE James Houston -- 78.9
  • CB Mike Hughes -- 76.6
  • DE Julian Okwara -- 70.7
Worst PFF-graded defensive players
  • DE Austin Bryant -- 59.4
  • LB Anthony Pittman -- 57.9
  • CB Will Harris -- 50.3
  • CB Jerry Jacobs -- 49.6
  • LB Chris Board -- 41.9

The Lions, Falcons, and Panthers are not that far away.
This is the offseason that teams mess things up and go right back to the cellar they've almost crawled out of.
Don't upset the apple cart just build.
The Browns for example, have drafted 4321 quarterbacks in the last twenty years and it wasn't until they finally stopped that we saw high first round picks or talented players all over the field. They got cute the last two off-season and fell hard so fast.
Replace Goff? NO! Get a guy that may compete and steal his job- fine.
He has to stay though. Must!
GMs always believe they're darn right making a QB change so when it starts to mess up, they tinker with other spots as if they're the problem and....back to the cellar. If they make a change, then Goff represents some level of production that they can always return to if needed.
Draft corners and linemen, can never go wrong with each.
Swift is soft mentioned above. He totally is. Reynolds is fine. Williams is good. They don't lack for talent so don't go drafting a couple backs or adding a huge free agent that eats up the cap. Add a back in the third or moderately priced if need be.
Williams is gonna make them a top 10-15 offense in the least. That's good enough. The top offense does not win the Supe every year.
The D is a few players away.
Can always use a big run stuffing DL or play making LB or shutdown corner.
Losing teams often breakdown and allow big plays so a top safety should always be a consideration.
Campbell is fine. Too rah rah for my liking but they're in a ton of games they weren't before.
Glenn is on the top coaching candidates lists; I'd say a little insincere as they could clearly play better D and I'm more Marvin Lewis' dominating D deserves to coach type but still...
Leave stuff alone!

I'm sitting here wondering how my Titans win with no WRs, no tackles, and a backup QB that might throw for 50 yards in a game. We used to be in the cellar together. I'm telling ya just little changes- then there's a core group that'll get you through the lean times.

I'm sitting here wondering how my Titans win with no WRs, no tackles, and a backup QB that might throw for 50 yards in a game. We used to be in the cellar together. I'm telling ya just little changes- then there's a core group that'll get you through the lean times.
Because you are mentally and physically tougher than anyone you play. Combine that with the best and most physical RB on the planet and a great coach and you have a winner.

I think Dan Campbell wants to build a similar team.

Because you are mentally and physically tougher than anyone you play. Combine that with the best and most physical RB on the planet and a great coach and you have a winner.

I think Dan Campbell wants to build a similar team.

Very much so!

I’m not sure it’s a winning formula bc the league is a lot different than when Parcels and his acolytes ruled the league.

But it’s a very specific identity. It’s what MCDC wants this team to be. Very physical football. We’re not going to finesse you (though Ben Johnson’s schemes are very clever.)

Win or lose, you are going to be sore af after you play Detroit.

players who might return from injury Week 13 v JAX:
  • WR Jameson Williams (knee) season debut? seems likely
  • OG Jonah Jackson (concussion) missed last G and 4 G overall
  • OG/C Evan Brown (ankle) missed last G and 2 G overall
  • DE Josh Paschal (knee) missed last 2 and 7 G overall
  • DE Charles Harris (groin) missed last 2 and 5 G overall
  • DE Romeo Okwara (achilles) season debut? IDK supposed to be close
  • CB Jeff Okudah (concussion) missed last game

Didn't care for DC going for it on 4th and one deep in our own territory inside the 40. Seemed reckless to me. We converted and eventually scored a TD so its hard to criticize the result.
I agree with the thought that after missing the 3rd and 1 late that you go for it on 4th down. Especially after Badgely missed the short FG earlier. Seeing how much time was left for Allen after our FG, I was not optimistic.

End result was a good effort and a promising future. Looking forward to getting all those defensive guys back and Jameson's debut.

Dan Campbell said he “needs to see high intensity reps with contact and versatility in order to judge whether or not Romeo Okwara and Jameson Williams will be ready to go this Sunday. It’s a tall order, it would take a lot" for either to play this week.

But still leaving that opportunity open and will give them a lot of looks at practice.

Said Jerry Jacobs is not in the protocol.

This next offseason is going to be so exciting. Right now we are looking at possible top 3 pick and another pick in the 10-15 range. Then obviously another early 2nd. Plus a ton of money for FAs. I get the need for QB but Bryce Young is the only QB I am interested in and do have my concerns about his size. Right now, the guys I am targeting are:

Jalen Carter DT Georgia
Will Anderson OLB/DE Alabama
Kelee Ringo CB Georgia
Myles Murphy DE Clemson
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson
Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
Cam Smith CB South Carolina

I think landing 2 of these guys is very realistic and would put this Lions D on an exciting trajectory.

This next offseason is going to be so exciting. Right now we are looking at possible top 3 pick and another pick in the 10-15 range. Then obviously another early 2nd. Plus a ton of money for FAs. I get the need for QB but Bryce Young is the only QB I am interested in and do have my concerns about his size. Right now, the guys I am targeting are:

Jalen Carter DT Georgia
Kelee Ringo CB Georgia
Myles Murphy DE Clemson
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson

I think landing 2 of these guys is very realistic and would put this Lions D on an exciting trajectory.

hoping Anderson is there for us

Rap reporting Charles Harris to the IR, James Houston signed to the 53 man from the PS

lost year for Harris after signing a 2-yr $13M ($7M guaranteed) deal in the off-season

Jalen Carter DT Georgia
Kelee Ringo CB Georgia
Myles Murphy DE Clemson
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson

If the Rams lose out we will have the 2nd pick. I would take Anderson in a heartbeat.

Everyone in this thread seems to completely write off Stroud, just wondering why that is ? Non pro offence and bad history of Ohio QBs ?

My untrained eye is unable to definitively say what QBs will succeed or fail but plenty of people seem to think he should be the No.1 Qb off the board. By all accounts there is a fair chance Texans could take Stroud at 1

Just interested in peoples thoughts

Still wonder if we could take Richardson with our later 1st pick and have him sit for a year

Last edited:

Everyone in this thread seems to completely write off Stroud, just wondering why that is ? Non pro offence and bad history of Ohio QBs ?

My untrained eye is unable to definitively say what QBs will succeed or fail but plenty of people seem to think he should be the No.1 Qb off the board. By all accounts there is a fair chance Texans could take Stroud at 1

Still wonder if we could take Richardson with our later 1st pick and have him sit for a year
Tough call on the QBs, they all seem like a crapshoot this year. Tankathon has Young going #1 to Houston, edge Will Anderson #2 to Bears, and Stroud to Lions at #3. I like Young a little better and not because what school he went to, that's not what I look at. He just looks a little more dynamic back there to me.

They have CB Cam Smith going to Lions at #13, and LB Noah Sewell at #44.

I don't know if Young has a body that will hold up - he was 5'11 183 coming out of Mater Dei - same h.s. as Amon-Ra St Brown - and 'bama lists him as 6'0" 194. At best he's Drew Brees size, but I hear a lot of people speculating he's more Kyler Murray's height. Won't know for sure until the combine. Regardless, he's nearly 30 pounds lighter than Jalen Hurts. Not sure those tiny bones are going to survive NFL hits.

I don't know if Young has a body that will hold up - he was 5'11 183 coming out of Mater Dei - same h.s. as Amon-Ra St Brown - and 'bama lists him as 6'0" 194. At best he's Drew Brees size, but I hear a lot of people speculating he's more Kyler Murray's height. Won't know for sure until the combine. Regardless, he's nearly 30 pounds lighter than Jalen Hurts. Not sure those tiny bones are going to survive NFL hits.
Tiny hands Goff + tiny bones Young. Or maybe Will Anderson?

Stroud doesn't play well when pressured, we already have a QB like that in Goff. Young seems to be able to better handle things and deliver the ball when a play goes South.

Jalen Carter DT Georgia
Kelee Ringo CB Georgia
Myles Murphy DE Clemson
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson

Would love Anderson but think he will go in top 2. Like Young but have zero interest in Stroud.

The Rams imploding this season and us owning their pick is enough to let me know that the ‘curse’ might be lifting and some ‘luck’ might be heading our way under this GM. You make your own luck, I just couldn’t imagine this Rams lick turning out this way under any other incarnation of the Lions that I’ve followed through the years.

No one got an opinion on Anthony Richardson ? I think it’s tempting to take him if he declares and if he was there with our 2nd 1st rounder and sit him for a season behind Goff. IF you back your coaching staff to be able to develop a QB

Richardson is a guy you take in the 3rd imo. He's got some really good traits, but he's so raw, needs to be more of a sure thing for one of our higher picks imo.

Good test coming up vs. Jax. Same record 4-7. Two young and potentially future good teams. Jax suffered with Urban Meyer as the Lions did with MattyP. But Jax moved faster to remove their energy sucker.

Lions with the advantage of home field. Lions healthiest in a long time. But Lions haven't beat an AFC team in a long time.

A loss to Jax snuffs out any playoff talk or chances for Lions and would be demoralizing. This is a big game for both teams as they strive to climb the hill to becoming legitimate future contenders.

With the Rams pick looking to be top 5 at this time Lions are playing with house money and can focus on winning games and building momentum.

Wonder why Hutchinson is chirping at Jax for not picking him, he said he wanted to be drafted by the Lions. He should be counting his blessings that JAX passed on him if that's the case.

Lions are being blacked out in Marquette tomorrow in favor of Packers. First time its happened all year. Station that carries Lions games up here says "fans need to make other arrangements if they want to see the game." This is why I had to buy the NFL Ticket. Invited neighbor two doors over who is a Lions fan over to watch the game.

Last edited:
I would have no problem with a middle round QB. At least it would spare us of these zero upside QBs they have had as backups.

I think we get Will Levis with the Rams pick. Goff is ok, but is too timid to air out the ball and does not handle pressure well. I would not use that pick on either CJ or Bryce.

I would have no problem with a middle round QB. At least it would spare us of these zero upside QBs they have had as backups.

I think we get Will Levis with the Rams pick. Goff is ok, but is too timid to air out the ball and does not handle pressure well. I would not use that pick on either CJ or Bryce.

Touching on a topic in a different thread re the importance of coaching, Levis is a very interesting case. The physical tools and leadership aren’t in question but his numbers have been VERY underwhelming and his consistency and processing of the field have been called into questions.

By all accounts his Oline has been an absolute mess and he has limited weapons, though. We’ve got a great line, good run game and we hopefully have good WR weapons for next season - Amon-Ra, Jameson as a start.

Just have to assess how much the mess his college team are in is contributing to his bad year.

Not entirely sure we’d have to use the Rams pick though. Still think we maybe go BPA with that Rams pick and see what’s there with our pick

Users who are viewing this thread