What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (12 Viewers)

I am actually surprise Campbell has not made the call on Jameson yet. He is usually insistent that players are football ready and have taken some hits before playing, which I am not sure Jameson has yet. Healthwise, he should be 100 percent now. One of the few times Campbell is playing it close to his chest.

The Lions did not record a punt today. The last time Detroit did not punt in a game was on Nov. 6, 2017 at Green Bay.

The last time Detroit did not punt in a home game was on Nov. 25, 1971 vs. Kansas City.

another Rams loss

Lions might end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick in 2023

Keep this offense intact and potentially add Anderson and another 1st round defender.

Think I’ll be a Lions’ fan while my Bucs rebuild. Always kind of have been anyway. My man, Calvin. I miss him.

Locker room postgame

Surprising game ball (but not really when you think about it)

“This is all I’m going to say. It’s a 6 game season. We’re 1-0.”

The team knows how DC operates now and the why. Chark had been struggling with injuries and now had a big game against his former team.

Could have been a few games balls. Goff, St Brown were deserving too.

exactly

the stars played big yesterday

but it's about the team - and DC loves to highlight guys who step up and give the team a boost (Skipper, Joseph, et al)

Offensive line is playing at a high level. Ton of credit to Holmes for having depth and continually adding bodies.

19 games missed by OL starters this year, haven't missed a beat. The job done been Kayode Awosika the last two weeks, Dan Skipper in his 4 spot starts (at guard! he's the swing tackle), and Evan Brown has been impressive.

Past years we had injuries and it was oh **** we're screwed and the subs would play like crap

You're always gonna have injuries, really great how the unsung guys have gotten the job done

Coaching matters

I also loved how when Kayode gave up a pressure on a stunt Penei was all up in his business - the leadership has to come from within, the players on the field

I don't think Awosika had another MA that I could detect

This is all round lovely to watch. So much fun this year, exceeding expectations really

How they played the last 5 weeks, yes. But that 1-6 start was disappointing. Last two weeks were some of the best Lions football in nearly a decade.

Indeed yes but in that run were very tight games against Vikings and Cowboys both of which are flying this year, so even whilst racking up the losses there were positive signs in some respects

Offensive line is playing at a high level. Ton of credit to Holmes for having depth and continually adding bodies.

19 games missed by OL starters this year, haven't missed a beat. The job done been Kayode Awosika the last two weeks, Dan Skipper in his 4 spot starts (at guard! he's the swing tackle), and Evan Brown has been impressive.

Past years we had injuries and it was oh **** we're screwed and the subs would play like crap

You're always gonna have injuries, really great how the unsung guys have gotten the job done

Coaching matters

I also loved how when Kayode gave up a pressure on a stunt Penei was all up in his business - the leadership has to come from within, the players on the field

Williams is a UFA. Older RBs usually don`t get big the big $$$.

Given the culture change and his leadership I would think Lions will bring him back even if they have to overpay a little.

Charknado!

So what do the homers see as a role for him going forward?

It’s a shame because he flashed week 1 and I think he would have gone on to have a good season overall. I sensed on Hard Knocks that he was kind of their secret weapon that they were expecting big things from. So much time injured though now, and Jameson is on his way back.

Chark
Reynolds ( connection with Goff from Rams )
Williams

It’s a bit crowded outside of what Amon-Ra gets.

I think he will be up and down. Get some deep and red zone looks but never a proper target hog

Charknado!

So what do the homers see as a role for him going forward?

It’s a shame because he flashed week 1 and I think he would have gone on to have a good season overall. I sensed on Hard Knocks that he was kind of their secret weapon that they were expecting big things from. So much time injured though now, and Jameson is on his way back.

Chark
Reynolds ( connection with Goff from Rams )
Williams

It’s a bit crowded outside of what Amon-Ra gets.

I think he will be up and down. Get some deep and red zone looks but never a proper target hog
Yeah, and the fact that Detroit still has a heavy run to pass ratio. There's only one football. > 🏈

In the NE game everything went bad for the Lions. In the Jax game everything went right for them. These two games are likely to be the outliers for their season in each direction.
Watching the Jax game was a rare experience for a Lions fan. Lions were lucky, played very well and didn't get messed up by the refs.
Addressing these points, they were lucky because Goff's early pass near the goal line should have been intercepted but instead turned into a completed pass. Also Williams' fumble was recovered by the Lions.
They played well because they didn't turn the ball over, didn't commit penalties, the kicking game made 4 field goals some of them lengthy and stopped Jax repeatedly on 3rd down while converting on their own third downs.
Regarding the penalties the Lions are now tied for the 6th least penalized team in the NFL. This has been a continuing trend as I have noted in past weeks. They commit fewer penalties than their opponents. To play physical football without committing penalties is to be in a real sweet spot.
Their one enforced penalty on Jonah Jackson for holding sure didn't look like one on replay.

Coaching matters

Given the culture change and his leadership I would think Lions will bring him back even if they have to overpay a little.
Maybe. They didn't want to overpay for Hockenson. Though I think his blocking and untimely penalties were issues.

Williams fumbled again vs Jax and his fumbling is of concern now. I'd like to see Williams back but would not overpay him. I have a feeling we are going to be needing money to pay for other positions.

Coaching matters

Maybe. They didn't want to overpay for Hockenson. Though I think his blocking and untimely penalties were issues.

Williams fumbled again vs Jax and his fumbling is of concern now. I'd like to see Williams back but would not overpay him. I have a feeling we are going to be needing money to pay for other positions.

I don`t think they will have to overpay him. Williams will not get any huge offers as he is a grinder, they are a dime a dozen but he is worth more to the Lions than any other team. Give him 2 years with a little raise should do it.

Believe me as a Swift owner I'd love to throw JW a going away party, but he will be back at least one more year. Coaches are in love with this guy

Believe me as a Swift owner I'd love to throw JW a going away party, but he will be back at least one more year. Coaches are in love with this guy
I'm in love with the guy. He's a leader of men.

From a magic football perspective playing Williams & Swift together, when available, yields solid results. The Lions RBs as a unit out up great numbers.

It wasn't intentional but I'm happy I made the pivot to rolling both (out of necessity after losing Javonte & E.Mitchell) and it has changed my perspective on drafting a magic football team. That doesn't happen often after 25+ years of...doing anything.

From a magic football perspective playing Williams & Swift together, when available, yields solid results. The Lions RBs as a unit out up great numbers.

It wasn't intentional but I'm happy I made the pivot to rolling both (out of necessity after losing Javonte & E.Mitchell) and it has changed my perspective on drafting a magic football team. That doesn't happen often after 25+ years of...doing anything.
I would have probably done something similar but was sniped on JW by a Lions homer who went after him rather early. I used to have decent luck playing 2 rbs so I can see doing what you did. Plus Goff rarely keeps it.

I would have probably done something similar but was sniped on JW by a Lions homer who went after him rather early. I used to have decent luck playing 2 rbs so I can see doing what you did. Plus Goff rarely keeps it.
Well I may have taken it a little far with the Lions concept.

Draft: Swift (round 3 RB#1, intended RB#1)

ARSB (Rd 7, intended WR#3, J.Jefferson, Sutton)

Goff (Rd 8, intended QB#3, Lamar, Jameis)

Jamaal (Rd 16, intended RB#6, Swift, Javonte, E.Mitchell, D.Henderson, N.Hines). Best draft pick ever.

Oh, and picked up Jameson before kickoff yesterday just in case.

I think Hard Knocks glamored me.

But, I'm still in the hunt so it's working.

I want to apologize if I ever said the Lions had an easy schedule. According to NFL.com 5 of their losses have come against top 10 teams. And the next 2 games are also vs top 10 teams. Last 3 (for now) "project" to be somewhat easier.

I want to apologize if I ever said the Lions had an easy schedule. According to NFL.com 5 of their losses have come against top 10 teams. And the next 2 games are also vs top 10 teams. Last 3 (for now) "project" to be somewhat easier.
It's not just you. Coming into the season, the Lions were projected to have the 5th easiest schedule. The Top 4? The entire NFC East.
Instead, updating a comment I made way upthread, Lions opponents through week 13 (so counting Vikes once) are 86-59-2 (.5918) overall and 79-54-2 (.5926) when not facing the Lions. Only the Bears and Packers have a worse (higher Opponent Win%) SOS factoring in all 17 opponents.

If this is the SOL, this is where they lay a turd. As soon as you start believing in them is when they self-destruct and destroy you.

In pretty good shape injury wise. Hopefully Evan Brown is able to get in some LP this week but the OL has been super resilient with backups making 19 starts and counting. Sounds like Romeo Okwara was close last week, believe he warmed up. Been a minute since he was productive and they have decent depth there (Hutch, Cominsky, Houston, Paschal) but would be nice to have another option for the rotation.

Looking back to Week 13:

Top PFF-graded offensive players
  • WR Amon-Ra St. Brown -- 90.0
  • WR DJ Chark -- 77.8
  • C Frank Ragnow -- 77.6
  • QB Jared Goff -- 77.3
  • LG Jonah Jackson -- 71.7
Worst PFF-graded offensive players
  • WR Jameson Williams -- 57.8
  • RG Kayode Awosika -- 57.7
  • WR Kalif Raymond -- 52.5
  • TE James Mitchell -- 48.5
  • RB Justin Jackson -- 41.4
Top PFF-graded defensive players
  • DE James Houston -- 86.3
  • LB Alex Anzalone -- 74.2
  • S DeShon Elliott -- 72.7
  • CB Will Harris -- 70.8
  • LB Malcolm Rodriguez -- 69.3
Worst PFF-graded defensive players
  • DE Austin Bryant -- 54.7
  • DE Josh Paschal -- 49.8
  • LB Chris Board -- 49.1
  • DT Isaiah Buggs -- 47.7
  • LB Anthony Pittman -- 39.6

MCDC press conference today (7:36)

I like his self awareness here. Doesn't shy away from a question about his decision making in the first Vikings game. He knows he screwed up, admits it, but it doesn't consume him.

Lions have made a remarkable turnaround on pass defense.

This information is from the Pride of Detroit site

Here’s where those stats rank in the NFL from Weeks 9 to Week 13:

• 57.4% completions — 1st
  • 74.9 passer rating — 2nd
  • 7 INTs - 1st
They’ve also tallied exactly half (11) of their season total sacks (22) in just these five games.

Put it all together, and according to Football Outsiders, the Lions' pass defense has been the third-best in the NFL since Week 9. Yes, you read that right: the Lions have the third-best pass defense in the NFL over the past five games.

• 7 INTs - 1st
They’ve also tallied exactly half (11) of their season total sacks (22) in just these five games.

Put it all together, and according to Football Outsiders, the Lions' pass defense has been the third-best in the NFL since Week 9. Yes, you read that right: the Lions have the third-best pass defense in the NFL over the past five games.
Amazing.

• 7 INTs - 1st

Amazing.

Encouraging. Still not great v the run - though they were able to completely bottleneck Saquon. Bills and Bears (Fields) gashed them. ETN had the early fumble & game script took Jax out of their game. Seems like Cook did as he pleased the first matchup.

Okudah is good at setting the edge. Rodriguez is a good run stopper but both the ILB (Anzalone) can be a liability in coverage. Malcolm had a poor game in Week 3 (PFF grade 35.)

Offensively it seems clear the best way to attack the Vikings is pushing the ball downfield from a lot of 11 personnel (3 WR) sets.

Defensively I think we will again bracket Jefferson, but blitz less (16 blitzes 1 sack in the first meeting.) The defense is playing a lot better than it was in late September, but this is a tough test for them. Going to be fun seeing if they’re up for the challenge. Need to hit Kirk early and often.

Users who are viewing this thread