What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 IDP News and Notes (2 Viewers)

my first set of projections (and rankings) are up now. let me know if anything looks off or warrants more review.
Aha, I was looking at dynasty, switching over to redraft now for IDP.

I still have a hard time translating from rankings across different formats - Quincy Williams has DB eligibility at Sleeper for no reason, so what does LB55 translate to in DB rankings?  

Divine Deablo... I'm surprised nobody ranked him.

I'm shocked to see Charles Harris ranked so high in consensus, I agree more with your ranking.  They drafted DEs in rounds 1 and 2 and Romeo Okwara is back... even your ranking might be too high at this point.

Weird that Keanu Neal isn't ranked with safeties.  I'm really curious to see how people project him - does he just pop back into the top 10 like he was in Atlanta?

Aha, I was looking at dynasty, switching over to redraft now for IDP.

I still have a hard time translating from rankings across different formats - Quincy Williams has DB eligibility at Sleeper for no reason, so what does LB55 translate to in DB rankings?  

Divine Deablo... I'm surprised nobody ranked him.

I'm shocked to see Charles Harris ranked so high in consensus, I agree more with your ranking.  They drafted DEs in rounds 1 and 2 and Romeo Okwara is back... even your ranking might be too high at this point.

Weird that Keanu Neal isn't ranked with safeties.  I'm really curious to see how people project him - does he just pop back into the top 10 like he was in Atlanta?
That Quincy Williams DB eligibility has to be a mistake, no? Makes no sense but he'd be a top-10 DB in FBG scoring. using my projections.

I am probably too low on Deablo and will need to bump him up. I had Perryman and Jayon Brown as the nickel backers originally but it probably makes more sense for them to use Deablo/Brown. That could really hurt Perryman too.

DE does look more crowded for Detroit. I have Harris clearly behind Romeo Okwara and Hutchinson but still think he did enough last year to remain part of a rotation. He had 65 combined tackles and 7.5 sacks last year on 872 snaps. I have him projected for just 36 combined tackles with 6 sacks, so that's a big drop in tackles but I'm assuming he can be more efficient as a pass rusher with added help.

I'm not seeing a clear role for Keanu Neal right now after I thought he underwhelmed in Dallas last year. Looks like he'll be behind Mike Edwards to start and they also have Antoine Winfield and Logan Ryan. I guess if Ryan plays more like a nickel corner, then there's an opening for Neal to win the strong safety job from Edwards. Even so, that's a run defense that doesn't give up much from their front 7 so I think they'd be more pass-centric in the secondary.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
That Quincy Williams DB eligibility has to be a mistake, no? Makes no sense but he'd be a top-10 DB in FBG scoring. using my projections.

I am probably too low on Deablo and will need to bump him up. I had Perryman and Jayon Brown as the nickel backers originally but it probably makes more sense for them to use Deablo/Brown. That could really hurt Perryman too.

DE does look more crowded for Detroit. I have Harris clearly behind Romeo Okwara and Hutchinson but still think he did enough last year to remain part of a rotation. He had 65 combined tackles and 7.5 sacks last year on 872 snaps. I have him projected for just 36 combined tackles with 6 sacks, so that's a big drop in tackles but I'm assuming he can be more efficient as a pass rusher with added help.

I'm not seeing a clear role for Keanu Neal right now after I thought he underwhelmed in Dallas last year. Looks like he'll be behind Mike Edwards to start and they also have Antoine Winfield and Logan Ryan. I guess if Ryan plays more like a nickel corner, then there's an opening for Neal to win the strong safety job from Edwards. Even so, that's a run defense that doesn't give up much from their front 7 so I think they'd be more pass-centric in the secondary.
I wa much higher on Neal before they signed Ryan.  I think that really hurt him in the scheme of this defense.  Winfield will be on the field all the time so that leaves the others fighting for snaps.  I think it hurts all of them.

@Memphis Foundry When do the MyFBG tools start seeing rookies?  Right now all of the database tools at FBG show all rookies as free agents in my leagues (and I think also all recent veteran free agent pickups).

I guess this is as good a place as any to start talking 2022 stuff.   Reading many reports that they are moving Isaiah Simmons to safety.   Is this just off season lets talk about something or does it have meaning?  He is athletic enough to play anywhere but how would this look for IDP value.  Increase value with a position designation change to S?  

I think he has been misused thus far and it also makes me wonder about Collins use going forward as well.  Seems like this defense doesn't know what it wants to do.  Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gally said:
I guess this is as good a place as any to start talking 2022 stuff.   Reading many reports that they are moving Isaiah Simmons to safety.   Is this just off season lets talk about something or does it have meaning.  He is athletic enough to play anywhere but how would this look for IDP value.  Increase value with a position designation chance to S?  

I think he has been misused thus far and it also makes me wonder about Collins use going forward as well.  Seems like this defense doesn't know what it wants to do.  Thoughts?
Uninformed opinion - he's got the versatility to do it so it depends on the health of Collins and Vigil, if they prefer to play Vigil more snaps vs their 3rd S a/o 4th corner, and how much dime they intend to deploy. I'll bet against his position eligibility changing in our game at the immediate moment though. 

Uninformed opinion - he's got the versatility to do it so it depends on the health of Collins and Vigil, if they prefer to play Vigil more snaps vs their 3rd S a/o 4th corner, and how much dime they intend to deploy. I'll bet against his position eligibility changing in our game at the immediate moment though. 
Might be worth monitoring for Sleeper leagues - somehow I have Quincy Williams with DB eligibility there.

@Memphis Foundry When do the MyFBG tools start seeing rookies?  Right now all of the database tools at FBG show all rookies as free agents in my leagues (and I think also all recent veteran free agent pickups).

In a thread in the main forum, Joe said they are hoping that the league sync for 2022 leagues is functioning by mid June
It's past mid June and rookies are still Free Agents

I guess this is as good a place as any to start talking 2022 stuff.   Reading many reports that they are moving Isaiah Simmons to safety.   Is this just off season lets talk about something or does it have meaning?  He is athletic enough to play anywhere but how would this look for IDP value.  Increase value with a position designation change to S?  

Remember last year when Travis Etienne was practicing with the wide receivers? And the year before when Jeremy Chinn was working with the LBs coach? Insignificant news.

Remember last year when Travis Etienne was practicing with the wide receivers? And the year before when Jeremy Chinn was working with the LBs coach? Insignificant news.
Was ETN insignificant because it was insignificant or was it because he got hurt?  No way to know.   

Chinn is a more of a comp and wasn't he used all over the field that year and had a great season?

Was ETN insignificant because it was insignificant or was it because he got hurt?  No way to know.   

Chinn is a more of a comp and wasn't he used all over the field that year and had a great season?
Chinn was used all over the field. Players like Chinn, Simmons, and Etienne are being asked to do more than one thing, learn multiple roles. Simmons was drafted to match up on tight ends according to Steve Keim. He got snaps in SAM, STAR, and safety alignments all last year. That flexibility reduces Arizona's need to sub out a linebacker for a safety to play dime subpackages. 

The parallel with ETN was that the reaction to Simmons practicing with safeties meant that he was changing positions. On that particular day that Etienne practiced at wide receiver, there were no RB drills at all in Jacksonville. Nevertheless, Twitter ran with a very small piece of news, making it appear momentous. It was in fact insignificant. Not nothing, but certainly not momentous - i.e., not an indication of a position change.

Chinn was used all over the field. Players like Chinn, Simmons, and Etienne are being asked to do more than one thing, learn multiple roles. Simmons was drafted to match up on tight ends according to Steve Keim. He got snaps in SAM, STAR, and safety alignments all last year. That flexibility reduces Arizona's need to sub out a linebacker for a safety to play dime subpackages. 

The parallel with ETN was that the reaction to Simmons practicing with safeties meant that he was changing positions. On that particular day that Etienne practiced at wide receiver, there were no RB drills at all in Jacksonville. Nevertheless, Twitter ran with a very small piece of news, making it appear momentous. It was in fact insignificant. Not nothing, but certainly not momentous - i.e., not an indication of a position change.
I wasn't taking it a position change for ETN just that he was honing his skills.  Offensive players very rarely change positions for key guys like ETN.  Usually happens for a player that can't make it at one position like WR then move to TE (Funchess/JJAW).

For Simmons my question was more along the lines of getting safety work would it or would it not lead to more IDP value in Arizona's scheme.  Also, as we have seen, IDP positions do get changed more often than the offensive side.  

Bottom line I agree that he likely doesn't change positions but wanted to start a discussion.

I'm afraid there's good news and bad news. The good news is that Simmons is locked into a full-time role. His versatility helps ensure that. 

The bad news is that all those snaps outside the middle of the defense lower his efficiency. He collected 105 tackles on 1005 snaps last year. That's a good rate for a safety but not a LB. The theory for him as a prospect was that he'd make up for the lack of tackling with sacks. That hasn't come to pass either. He rushes more often than most LBs but earned only 1.5 sacks last season. That should regress to the mean a bit this year, as he's a good athlete. The coverage behind him inspires little confidence, tho to allow him time to get home. Those CBs... 😬 And the narrative that he's a good pass rusher - i.e., that he could win match-ups with offensive tackles or even tight ends - was always false imo. 

Looked on the Vikings official website roster and they now list D.Hunter as "OLB" instead of DE as it was listed last month, for any keeping track of DE/LB eligibility issues. 

Nerfed his value in my league (He is on my roster) so now can only use him as a LB. I really hate to cut him and will keep him as the 5th LB for now, but if injuries or other roster issue come up and he doesn't get the DE designation back I'm afraid he may become a cut casualty in the season....uggh. 

Looked on the Vikings official website roster and they now list D.Hunter as "OLB" instead of DE as it was listed last month, for any keeping track of DE/LB eligibility issues. 

Nerfed his value in my league (He is on my roster) so now can only use him as a LB. I really hate to cut him and will keep him as the 5th LB for now, but if injuries or other roster issue come up and he doesn't get the DE designation back I'm afraid he may become a cut casualty in the season....uggh. 
I assume you are in a tackle heavy scoring system then.  I don't think just moving to LB kills his ability to be in an IDP lineup but it does depend on scoring system.   In big play scoring he will still have a ton of value even at LB.......just not as much as we would as DL.   Also, he has put up good tackle numbers for a DE with 50+ solos & 19 assists a couple times.  I would definitely not cut him until you see how he takes the transition.  

Gally said:
I assume you are in a tackle heavy scoring system then.  I don't think just moving to LB kills his ability to be in an IDP lineup but it does depend on scoring system.   In big play scoring he will still have a ton of value even at LB.......just not as much as we would as DL.   Also, he has put up good tackle numbers for a DE with 50+ solos & 19 assists a couple times.  I would definitely not cut him until you see how he takes the transition.  
Yes Tackle Heavy, he would project about 91 points in our system, so as a DE that's great, but as a LB its middle of the road. I am holding but if things get real tight I will definitely look at him going forward. 

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Update on Darius Leonard's recovery from back surgery.

Larra Overton@LarraOverton

Darius Leonard says he won’t put a timeline on return, says he’s already feeling better following back surgery & improvement in his lower leg injury. Disc & nerve issues impacted calf/ankle pain. “The way I’m going, I’m very happy. Get ready to rock n roll when time comes.”

Man, having all of the rankings from so many writers in the FBG IDP rankings is so nice... I can do things like sorting by the best ranking, then synching with my league to see who's available.  You spot things like Jaquiski Tartt, ranked 22nd by one ranker, despite having an average ranking behind Jabrill Peppers, whose best rank is 62nd.  I'd rather take a shot on a guy someone thinks might break out that someone everyone thinks will be useless.

Have to give Joe and the guys at FBG's credit. It appears they have really reinvested on the IDP side. Thanks Joe.

Like many of the regulars in this forum, I am thankful. There is a small community here.. but I cannot tell you guys enough how valuable I find it. Thanks to all the mainstays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of great new features. Unfortunately, the player projections are still not calculating correct fantasy points using league scoring rules for IDPs.

Apparently Kwitty Paye may have gone down with a knee injury today. I just saw a tweet about it but haven't confirmed anything more. Can we say Dayo time?

Ernest Jones-Everything I have read about Jones has been positive, and he was a target for me. He had that kind of profile I like, where every word is good, but people aren't yelling about it on Twitter.
I fear for this season for him. Doing some reading that the Rams ran 1 LB the 3rd most in the league. Maybe that's cause their LBs were young or bad, or maybe that's what they want to do? I thought he was a great dynasty stash last year, but it looks like he's going to have a tough time getting to 70% snaps. I still think of him as a buy, and maybe even a buy low after a few quiet weeks. He's a guy I will check Twitter and check snap counts every week, looking for trends.

Troy Andersen-There's a lot of LB in ATL that can get some snaps, but there are 4 JAGs, and the young freak athlete. I think he has a couple splash plays this year, and is the Alpha by next June. I have a keeper draft tomorrow (keep the guy for as long as you want at the draft pick you got him with) and he is a great combo of upside and good price. Another guy I will try and acquire if Deion Jones and Rashaan Evans are hogging snaps.

Troy Andersen-There's a lot of LB in ATL that can get some snaps, but there are 4 JAGs, and the young freak athlete. I think he has a couple splash plays this year, and is the Alpha by next June. I have a keeper draft tomorrow (keep the guy for as long as you want at the draft pick you got him with) and he is a great combo of upside and good price. Another guy I will try and acquire if Deion Jones and Rashaan Evans are hogging snaps.
This does result in holding Davion Taylor sometimes... but I'm also holding Andersen where I have him.

In case others haven’t seen it yet, FBG now has a Discord server, and Davenport has an AMA Friday 8:30 PM ET. I think it’s subscribers only.

I saw pictures of Kameron Curl in a sling but have seen no news about it. Anybody hear anything?

Harold Landry tore his ACL
I have to replace him now. I have big play scoring (1 pt/tackle, 3 pts QBH, 2 pts TFL, 3 pts Sack, 3 pts PD, 7 pts INT). With that scoring who you like better:

Shaq Thompson
Dre Greenlaw
Azeez Al-Shaair

I know it's in the short term thread but in case you don't frequent that one......

Blake Martinez released by NYG. I guess Tae Crowder shod be ok

I'm thinking Mykal Walker gets a significant boost with Deion Jones headed to IR. Troy Anderson as well, but to a lesser degree.

I'm thinking Mykal Walker gets a significant boost with Deion Jones headed to IR. Troy Anderson as well, but to a lesser degree.
Walker has been playing with the first team all off-season. He should be wearing the dot and never coming off the field. To be honest, I don't think it mattered much if Jones went to IR or not. Walker had this job locked up prior to the news. Walker is the one I am targeting in every league. Anderson will have his time though at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread