What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (6 Viewers)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
the pick carr threw into the end zone would have been the 3 points that put the game out of reach :poop:

"but what about the defense!"
that was a ref’s got us game
No it wasn’t. Carr and mcD lost that game.
The offense should have done more but they didn't give up a 95 yard drive with 2 minutes left to a QB who had been with the team for two days.

Sorry fellas, I know how you feel about Carr &/or McDaniels but that is as much of a team loss as it gets.
Usually the coach is responsible for team losses 🤷
I get that too. But calls for firing, IMO, are simply insane.

I think they are reactionary and, again IMO, founded more on previous dislike for McDaniels prior to his ever being hired by the Raiders.

There is no denying last night's loss was one of the worst in recent memory...well that isn't entirely honest as the Saints loss was pretty bad. So were Washington & Chicago last season and we could go back every year all the way to 2001 and find a couple of these.

Regarding this season they have four losses after carrying double digit leads into halftime (Ari, KC, Jax, LAR). Of course the buck stops with McDaniels but those kinds of losses also speak to a dearth of talent on defense (something most of us chose to ignore after they signed Davante) and maybe to Graham's defensive schemes. Throwing it all out again and starting over again after one season isn't going to fix the lack of talent. I think, almost*, any coaching staff deservers at least two seasons to bring in their players and implement their schemes.

*I would make an exception for cases like Hackett in Denver where the team hasn't even flashed the tiniest improvement at any point this season.
What I don't get is this.... McD lead the Pat offense for years. The play calling for the most part always seemed good. Now, he is HC and the playcalling can be very bad during this year. Why the difference? That is what I don't get.

I was absolutely against him then softened then questioned then felt good and now back to questioning.... all based on his ability to lead a team. This Rams game makes me question his football IQ which before to me was beyond reproach.

Chaka

Footballguy
What I don't get is this.... McD lead the Pat offense for years. The play calling for the most part always seemed good. Now, he is HC and the playcalling can be very bad during this year. Why the difference? That is what I don't get.

I was absolutely against him then softened then questioned then felt good and now back to questioning.... all based on his ability to lead a team. This Rams game makes me question his football IQ which before to me was beyond reproach.
The first difference is between being a HC and OC. Time management changes significantly. He may be the kind of HC that can also call plays, but maybe he needs an Eric Bienimy to run the game day offense.

I didn't see beyond the first quarter but it seemed like there was reason to believe the o-line would be able to open holes all day.

Chaka

Footballguy
Have the raiders shown you any reason to think McDaniels is going to make this team better?
McD and Hackett are about equal imo. Carr is better than Russell, but the Denver D is better than most defenses.
I just don’t see what you’re seeing, if you think there’s meaningful difference between McD and Hackett regarding the future of their teams.
Yes.

It's wild to even make the assertion that Hackett = McDaniels with a straight face.

The Raiders had the #10 scoring offense in the league going into last night. They are still #8 in yards/game coming out.

You're comparing that to the 27th ranked yardage and 32nd ranked scoring offense? Despite having a hand picked all pro QB? A team that has managed 3 wins despite having a top 3 yardage and top 2 defense all year?

It's difficult to view your post through a lens of anything other than simply disliking McDaniels outside of anything having to do with the Raiders.

Chadstroma

Footballguy

The first difference is between being a HC and OC. Time management changes significantly. He may be the kind of HC that can also call plays, but maybe he needs an Eric Bienimy to run the game day offense.

I didn't see beyond the first quarter but it seemed like there was reason to believe the o-line would be able to open holes all day.
The line has got much better in both run blocking and pass pro. However, after initial success of attacking the edges with jet sweeps, tosses, etc and mixing it up with some runs up the middle and throwing.... it seemed he got stuck on dive, iso, dive, dive, iso..... everything was a run up the middle and Jacobs was already banged up (well, he is always banged up). I kept thinking that they were setting up the play action but nope. I think after the INT McD just got way too cautious.

Chaka

Footballguy

The line has got much better in both run blocking and pass pro. However, after initial success of attacking the edges with jet sweeps, tosses, etc and mixing it up with some runs up the middle and throwing.... it seemed he got stuck on dive, iso, dive, dive, iso..... everything was a run up the middle and Jacobs was already banged up (well, he is always banged up). I kept thinking that they were setting up the play action but nope. I think after the INT McD just got way too cautious.
Thanks for that. I have had trouble all season with poor halftime adjustments. We can pin a lot on the defense but if McDaniels made better adjustments maybe they wouldn't need to rely on the defense to make stops on 95 yard drives with under 2 minutes left.

Chaka

Footballguy
The line has got much better in both run blocking and pass pro.
What the Raiders have done with the o-line this season is reason enough to give McDaniels another year.

I guess we could all have been wrong about the talent but it has to be some of the best scouting coaching & scheming to come out of the Raiders in the last 20 years.

spending all of your cap and trading away draft capital to improve the offense, then thinking you can rely on your defense to shut an opponent out for 4 quarters is dumb.

if they had done the reverse. it would make sense when the offense can't score and then you expect the defense to be unstoppable.

mcD needs to allow carr to make mistakes. how was carr supposed to make up the points he gave away if the offense goes conservative. carr needs to demand better and more aggressive play calling, he's a veteran qb. tell your play caller to give you something better, so you can win games.

kaso

Footballguy
The entire 2nd half play calling by both McDaniels and Graham allow for the Carr interception to become a bigger story than it should be.

GreenNGold

Footballguy
I think McDaniels has shown yet again he just has no business being a head coach in this league. Instead of trying to win the game yesterday, he was trying to run out the clock from the first quarter.

joey

Footballguy
Last night…. :tfp:

nuff said.

random question to distract me from that embarrassment: what’s up with us having a holder for kick offs instead of using a tee?

ZADO

Footballguy
Baker Mayfield signed with the Rams on Tuesday and drove 98 yards in two minutes against the Raiders defense.

Users who are viewing this thread