What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

The Athletic just posted a huge (long) story about Wilson, LaFleur, etc. . Basically a huge summary of events, but some interesting parts:

Over the offseason, LaFleur and quarterbacks coach Rob Calabrese studied what worked for Wilson in 2021 and what didn’t. There was some level of frustration. LaFleur would tell people how much more effective the offense looked with quarterbacks Flacco, Josh Johnson and especially White. The stats backed it up.

But Wilson was the Jets’ future, so LaFleur adjusted the scheme, reduced the volume of plays and tried to make things more digestible. LaFleur’s directive to Zach Wilson when he returned to game action wasn’t complicated: If the first read and second reads aren’t there, run.

After the game, a loss, teammates raved about White in a way they never had about Wilson. “I know I’d go to war for that boy,” said Garrett Wilson. “He’s got something special about him.”
When Wilson replaced an injured White weeks later, multiple teammates openly grumbled about his return during practice and in meetings.

Regarding the time Moore blew up at practice:
That Thursday, Moore surprised teammates and coaches by blowing up on LaFleur, telling him to “go f— yourself” and “you suck,” according to multiple people who witnessed the interaction.

On Woody forcing Saleh to fire LaFleur
Multiple people in the organization pushed back on the narrative that Johnson forced Saleh to fire LaFleur, though Saleh likely did feel pressure from above to make changes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the OC didn't like the QB. He reduced the number of plays and the number of reads. He still couldn't perform a miracle to make Wilson not look like the worst QB in the league.

The players didn't like the QB either. They loved when Mike White took over.

The players didn't like the OC either. Moore hated him. G Wilson said that the offense had gotten predictable.

Woody is willing to spend on a QB.

In summary, the team didn't like LaFleur or WIlson. One down, one to go. As the Jets world turns.
Very interesting - I do think LaFleur got a bit of a raw deal as the O looked much better with non ZW QBs....None of the candidates excite me - O is a mess

Moore needs to get a better attitude - GW played with the same awful QB/OC and had a monster season. If Moore is truly that good he should have played better. This is a make it or break it year for him.

Moore's attitude was top 3 disappointing things about this season (along with Wilson's lack of development and our finish). I remember that video of AJ Brown testifying to Moore's character in college. We saw the opposite this year. Just a terrible leader by example. Mims handled it much better. Even if Moore turns out to be right about his OC and he becomes a good WR in the future, his behavior was disgusting.

Greg Roman / Lamar Jackson package deal?
Please, no.
What are some better options? Jackson isn’t the greatest passer out there, but is much better than most want to give him credit for. I wouldn’t want Roman, otherwise but his system works well with Jackson.

I get the downside as well - but Jackson would immediately give the offense credibility and help keep the defense off the field.

You'd be signing a guy to one of the richest quarterback deals in history, giving up draft capital in return (I assume we get him through a trade because Baltimore isn't going to just let him walk), and getting a guy who hasn't proven he can win with his arm yet.

I don't care about the dynamics surrounding the Lamar love/Lamar hate that permeates the discussion (Hint: it's about race) and his throwing; he hasn't won a big playoff game when teams take away where he likes to throw the ball. He doesn't operate well downfield nor outside the numbers. There's a glaring hole in his game, and it's enough to where you don't want to be the one giving up a first and paying him that salary to count against the cap.

I'm not really worried about getting the defense off of the field. They won't be worried, either. There'll be too much money tied up in the QB to have a viable defense.

You'd be signing a guy to one of the richest quarterback deals in history, giving up draft capital in return (I assume we get him through a trade because Baltimore isn't going to just let him walk), and getting a guy who hasn't proven he can win with his arm yet.

I don't care about the dynamics surrounding the Lamar love/Lamar hate that permeates the discussion (Hint: it's about race) and his throwing; he hasn't won a big playoff game when teams take away where he likes to throw the ball. He doesn't operate well downfield nor outside the numbers. There's a glaring hole in his game, and it's enough to where you don't want to be the one giving up a first and paying him that salary to count against the cap.

I'm not really worried about getting the defense off of the field. They won't be worried, either. There'll be too much money tied up in the QB to have a viable defense.
Jets havent had a franchise QB since Namath....LJax is definitely a franchise QB. Id be willing to give up the picks and $ if the team could win a super bowl with him. The question is would the jets have a better chance with Lam or Carr/Jimmy and all picks/more cap space. In a conference boasting Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, TLaw Im leaning towards needing a franchise QB like Lam or Rodgers to get there - i am not confident Carr/Jimmy G could do it.

What are some better options?

As I said earlier....no qb acquisition is gonna be perfect. Either you're getting a flawed player, paying way too much, or both.

I don't think it matters much anyway, as Baltimore dumped Roman and i still think they'll eventually sign him.

Man....they must HATE Cleveland for the Watson contract

This will always be the dilemma. We want a franchise QB but the cost always seems prohibitive.

Yes giving up multiple picks plus paying a huge contact is not ideal, but it’s not like other teams are giving them away and elite QBs are not charities.

I’ll be content/hopeful with Jimmy G - but after one of his classic killer turnovers costs us the playoffs in Week 17, we’ll be back here throwing our arms up in the air again.

As I said earlier....no qb acquisition is gonna be perfect. Either you're getting a flawed player, paying way too much, or both.

I don't think it matters much anyway, as Baltimore dumped Roman and i still think they'll eventually sign him.

Man....they must HATE Cleveland for the Watson contract
Yes, ultimately I think Jackson stays in Baltimore. Who knows, maybe he didn’t like Roman?

Derek Carr and Geno Smith come with much lower price tags, demands, can throw the ball outside of the numbers, and won't cost the draft capital Lamar will. I'd be happy with either of them.
Derek Carr’s numbers in cold weather games aren’t very good and I’d be leery about Geno repeating 2022 - plus I think Seattle retains him.
Yes those are decent options that are much better than what we have but I’m not sure either are capable of getting the team anything other than a first round exit from the playoffs (which seems like Heaven now admittedly).

Can you really see Carr or Geno leading the Jets over a Mahomes, Herbert and/or Allen to get to a Superbowl?

We haven't seen Lamar win a meaningful playoff game, either. He's 1-4 in the playoffs. His team has never scored over twenty points -- that's his best.

His five games they scored 17, 12, 20, 3, 17. Sounds to me like other teams know what they're doing against him.

I stay away from Lamar debates in general because it tends to engender unspoken passions, but the guy doesn't quite cut it as a pocket passer. That's not to say he can't become one, but do you really want to spend that capital and pay that price to find out?

Last edited:
Can you really see Carr or Geno leading the Jets over a Mahomes, Herbert and/or Allen to get to a Superbowl?

I honestly can see them doing that with a perfect game. Maybe moreso than I can see an aging Lamar doing it. I really, really worry that he'll break down, too. Just...Lamar is better left on the Ravens, as far as I'm concerned, so I can witness his value from afar.

We haven't seen Lamar win a meaningful playoff game, either. He's 1-4 in the playoffs. His team has never scored over twenty points -- that's his best
This is definitely a fair criticism of him - but some that’s as a rookie and all of it is as a young player. I can’t say he can win a Super Bowl - but I’m not convinced he can’t. I am not arguing he doesn’t have any flaws, but the guy has proven he can win at an NFL level in the regular season and is one of the best offensive weapons in the league. I don’t think that’s debatable.

Derek Carr and Geno Smith come with much lower price tags, demands, can throw the ball outside of the numbers, and won't cost the draft capital Lamar will. I'd be happy with either of them.
Herbert and Allen, definitely (talking about Carr). Chargers have suspect coaching and the Bills tend to have down games out of nowhere. Mahomes? Probably, if the game is in NJ. KC isn't guaranteed home field every year.
Otherwise, unlikely but possible. I think a competent QB makes them a dangerous team with their talented young players. I'm not convinced Mike White is a competent QB when not being compared to Wilson and Flacco.

but the guy has proven he can win at an NFL level in the regular season and is one of the best offensive weapons in the league. I don’t think that’s debatable.

Agreed. He's a dynamo when healthy. I just don't want to pay the max money and max draft capital for an already aging Lamar.

It's probably a moot point. I'm reading in the other threads that Harbaugh and the GM and the owner are all saying they're signing Lamar.

For me.....if you can get Lamar without giving up 3 high picks (something like 2 ones and a 4 would be fine) you do it.

Writing the BIG check would suck....but it ain't my money. And at the end of the day, I don't believe he would insist on the Watson contract if a new ponied up picks and still paid him near the top of the market.

We've been trying to get a top 5 QB for FIFTY freaking years. If you can a league mvp (even one with some durability concerns) you do it and figure out the rest.

What's the worst that can happen? Jackson gets hurt again 2 years from now, can't run anymore and the team stinks until he retires or they can get out from under the deal? Who cares? The team has stunk like 34 of my 39 years on earth. I'll get over it.

The upside is you have a roster with an MVP caliber QB and potential top 5 players at wr, rb, cb, OL and DT. I'll roll with that. Will still be more fun than hoping Derek Carr can move an offense in Buffalo in January.

But it's not gonna happen, so whatever. Just hope they get someone who can move the chains

Jackson gets hurt again 2 years from now, can't run anymore and the team stinks until he retires or they can get out from under the deal? Who cares? The team has stunk like 34 of my 39 years on earth. I'll get over it.

LOL :lmao:

Well said. I think we're all there. Even I was ready to scrap the Wilson project this year, and I was a steadfast supporter of evaluating him. But just give us a soup bone at some point.

Last edited:
I mean......I've seen this team be good but not good enough with a game manager qb. I was in my mid 20's during the Sanchez era. It didn't change my life

I saw them fall a step or 2 short with Testaverde and pennington. I have some good memories of those games. But at the end of the day...who cares?

Lamar Jackson has his flaws but I believe he has the ability to carry a good roster to a super bowl under the right circumstances. I think he's too gifted to just be a guy who gets shut down in every playoff game. At this point, if you have a chance at that, you take it.

None of these QB options feel good to me.

Lamar = too expensive.
Carr = Better than what we have but nothing earth shaking. Cold weather issue bugs me a little. Is that a real thing?
Jimmy G - I like him best out of these three but he seems a bit injury prone. Chad 2.0?

Wildcard = Minshew? If they are serious about developing Zach, he might make the most sense as it's not a big splashy commitment. Then again, is he any better than Mike White?

No playoffs again but at least they gave us an interesting offseason.

None of these QB options feel good to me.

Lamar = too expensive.
Carr = Better than what we have but nothing earth shaking. Cold weather issue bugs me a little. Is that a real thing?
Jimmy G - I like him best out of these three but he seems a bit injury prone. Chad 2.0?

Wildcard = Minshew? If they are serious about developing Zach, he might make the most sense as it's not a big splashy commitment. Then again, is he any better than Mike White?

No playoffs again but at least they gave us an interesting offseason.
Yeah - there’s no “miracle” out there. Every QB available is going to have flaws one way or the other.

Jimmy G is probably the most cost effective option - and I’ll be happy if they land him but you can’t ignore SF won despite him a lot of the time - his playoff stats are pathetic and he makes back breakingly bad decisions with the football.

Can we trust Geno after one decent season in a long career? I would have major concerns going into 2023 with him under center.

Jackson will be expensive on all levels and has his injury history.

Carr has had some very good weapons in Oakland/LV and only two playoff appearances during his career.

Rodgers/Brady - I’ll believe either wants to play for the Jets when I see it. Also both are obviously in decline.

even Darnold didn't look so bad 2nd half of the season when he returned at least for Carolina.
People keep saying this because of a few decent fantasy games to end the season - Sam Darnold was terrible in Carolina both seasons.
I think these takes on Darnold are after watching how awful ZW was. I mean Darnold is awful but looks like a polished pro with upside compared to Wilson - he was that bad
Um no. If people are saying it, it's because it's true. And I'm not sure you quite get what "he didn't look bad' means. It's not the same as saying "he was great". And overall in those last 6 games, 4 of which thy Panthers won, Darnold played, not that bad. 3 of the games were actually above average. But he was easily better down the stretch than Baker Mayfield was during the season. That's who most people are comparing him with because that was his main competition, not Zach Wilson.

There's no way to directly compare ZQ and SD last season since they were on different teams. But we can use Baker Mayfield as a baseline, because he played for the same team.

My only point was, the Jets misused Darnold pretty bad, and stunted his development. Then they did the same with Wilson. They are two completely different players. Wilson has all the physical tools in the world, on par with the likes of Mahomes, well, maybe not on par, but in that range. But his mental and emotional tools are a bit lacking, he lacks focus sometimes on the field, and I'm not sure what was going on with the playbook, but it seemed at times he didn't know it so well or perhaps got nervous.

Darnold on the other hand, has nice tools, a decent arm, but no way comparable to ZW. Not in the same stratosphere as far as physical tools. But Darnold always had a better grasp on the mental side. Now, his vision is pretty bad, whereas,I think Wilson has good vision just terrible decision making. Darnold is definitely a quicker study, better but not great decision making, but worse vision. And a worse arm, not a bad arm, but he can't squeeze the ball like ZW can.

Anyway.... we can't say what would happen with Darnold on last season's Jet's team. I think he would have been their best QB really and things might have finally clicked. Wilson on the other hand, I think would have been even worse playing in Carolina. What Wilson needed, and maybe what he still needs, is like a full season or two sitting behind a vet, watching, learning from them, all the while studying his playbook and a variety of other methods and techniques. That's all he should have been doing his first year.
On the surface, getting a 26 year old league MVP QB certainly seems like a no-brainer. But the reality is that if a good QB is available, there's something "wrong" (either with the player or what would be required to get him)

In this case, its sort of both. Jackson obviously has durability concerns and his style of play makes it unlikely that it has an incredibly long career. One more bad leg injury and you could be paying a good but not great passer (outside of his MVP season) with diminished mobility $45+ a year. That's obviously a disaster. The Ravens have the leverage to franchise him and start a bidding war among the teams that want him. Now, if the Jets only have to give up #13 and their first rounder next year (plus maybe some sort of mid-round pick) I think you have to do it. This team with (a healthy) Jackson at he helm is a deep playoff contender, so next year's pick would be in the mid 20's. IMO, you roll the dice and do that.

Carr is a totally different scenario. The Raiders have no leverage. He has a no trade clause and they've already expressed their desire to move on. Carr himself has no incentive to help the Raiders get rid of him (by allowing a trade that nets them draft picks) so he can just say he'll decline every trade and wait for them to cut him. Of course, on the field, Carr has his own issues. (never been a star even in his prime, bad in cold weather, etc.).

The only "perfect" QB situation is that you draft one, develop him, build a loaded team around in years 3 and 4 (before he needs to get paid) and take your shot. And then you hope that once you have to pay him, he's a top 5-10 guy that can carry you to a title. Unfortunately, the Jets have shown a complete inability to do that. So now they're desperate.

If you do somehow land Jackson (which I still think is a pipe dream), you then have to build a championship team around him. So the Jets would need to fit him under the cap while re-signing Q, building a good o-line (which means signing a center, a tackle and praying that Becton can make it through a season) and adding at least 2 pieces to the D. Can they do that? I have no idea. It seems l like some teams have the ability to totally fudge the salary cap while others (like the Jets) have to make decisions on guys even though they're barely a .500 team.

Will be interesting regardless....but at the end of the day, I do think it will be Carr as a Free agent. Not a sexy pick, but I think you can make the playoffs with a good team around him.

Yea agree with your assessment. I'm not as certain it will be Carr but Carr would fit the mold for sure. IF ZW stands a chance at all to still become a starting QB, it would be sitting behind someone like Carr for a year or 2. I guess we will see what there plans are. If they sign a starting QB to a long contract, they've officially given up on ZW. If it's like a one year, maybe not. That dude seriously needs a mentor though. Or a psychologist. Or both.

Um no. If people are saying it, it's because it's true. And I'm not sure you quite get what "he didn't look bad' means. It's not the same as saying "he was great".
He was better than he's been - but was still turning the ball over and wasn't that good outside of one game. I wasn't comparing him to Wilson (not sure where you're getting that) - but if you want me to say he played better than Wilson, ok. He was better than Wilson.
Let's see which teams line up to sign Danold as a starter this offseason.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I think it will be Jimmy G. He knows the coaches and system they want to run....he will be the cheapest option without a huge contract or draft picks. Most importantly though I think they dont want to bury ZW for some reason.

Jimmy G gives them the best chance of giving ZW one last shot. Im thinking they let White go and make ZW the backup. They let ZW sit as the backup for a long stretch until if/when Jimmy G gets hurt. When he does ZW gets his next shot - if Jimmy G falters they easily replace him with ZW for one last shot. If he looks good they will all likely get another shot as ZW "developed".

If they bring in Carr, LJax, Rodgers, etc - ZW is done...and Im not sure they want that. They may want a 1 yr bridge/mentor and try to fix ZW - if they do and fail its an easy ouster for the regime. I really hope Im wrong as I think this is the least desirable option but looking at all the options I am just pessimistic - or is that from being a jets fan? lol

Um no. If people are saying it, it's because it's true. And I'm not sure you quite get what "he didn't look bad' means. It's not the same as saying "he was great".
He was slightly better than he's been - but was still turning the ball over and wasn't that good outside of one game. I wasn't comparing him to Wilson (not sure where you're getting that) - but if you want me to say he played better than Wilson, ok. He was better than Wilson.
Let's see which teams line up to sign Danold as a starter this offseason.
no pont comparing awful failed jets QBs lol - but we all can agree it would have been better to stick with Sam and trade down from #2 for a haul - would be in pretty much the same position anyway! No chance Sam sniffs a starting job - will be a backup for a long time ala Geno.

if LaFleur was still the OC, I'd say Jimmy G made the most sense. But if they're not bringing in another West Coast offense type of guy, the fit becomes a lot less obvious.

Agreed that he's probably the best bet if your goal is to eventually give Wilson one more shot.

My only point was, the Jets misused Darnold pretty bad, and stunted his development. Then they did the same with Wilson.
This has been discussed ad nauseum so not really going to debate it again, but while the Jets surely did not do Darnold any favors, the bottom line is he's not good enough at this level and his two seasons at Carolina now confirm it. Will he ever have a renaissance season like Geno just had? Possibly but waiting 8 years for that isn't ideal.

I do not blame the team one bit for Zach Wilson's failure - I do hold them partially responsible for Darnold and Geno. They set Wilson up for success and he was just a mental midget. The fact that washed up journeymen like Joe Flacco and Johnson Johnson and mediocre Mike White all put up 400 yard passing games should tell you something about Zach. He was set up to succeed. He did not.

Does he have arm talent? Of course he does, but the guy just doesn't have the mental capabilities to be successful and his accuracy was atrocious. I'd be very surprised if he's anything but a career backup going forward and I'm not sure he doesn't just wash out of the league within 3 years.

Yeah, the idea that Wilson is this "great talent" just seems so weird to me.

Yes, he can throw a football at a high velocity and run reasonably fast/well (but there's probably at least 10 QB's in the league that do it better). But that's such a tiny sliver of the "talent" required to make a good QB. Kyler Boller could throw it 65 yards from his knees. Jamarcus Russell could throw it over dem mountains. Its about accuracy, spacial awareness (wilson has some of this, to be fair. His ability to evade rushers is certainly above average) timing and processing speed. He has almost none of those things.

(wilson has some of this, to be fair. His ability to evade rushers is certainly above average)
Yes he does, but the problem is afterwards he still can not process the game. How many times did he escape pressure and look to have 10 easy yards in front of him to take, but would instead throw some off balanced pass, side-armed, into coverage?

As a passer, Lamar looked great in 2019, especially in the game at Miami. In the 2021 Thursday night game where Lamar's limitations were "exposed" with Miami's cover zero, he still threw for 238 yards and had a drop in the endzone on a long pass. In the 2022 game vs Miami, Lamar was historically great through the air and ground, throwing darts, short and long. I remember the perfect strike on a crossing pattern by Bateman where he took it 75 yards to the house. Imagine what GW could do. This is a 3-game biased sample, but Lamar has shown that he can win games even when his defense plays poorly. But the Jets defense is trending toward being one of the best.

One thing people forget when they throw around Carr or Jimmy G to the Jets is do they even want to come here? Other teams will be looking for QBs. Carr talked about (through his brother) that he wants an organization to be stable. Not sure where Saleh/JD stand if they don't make the playoffs despite what Woody says.

I think we have a better shot at Jimmy G than Carr (and almost one on L Jackson). Jimmy should come on a shorter term and less money than Carr. If we strike out on both, then I guess it's Brisset or Minshew or god forbid Teddy B to compete with Wilson. I have to assume D Jones and Geno stick with their teams.

Jimmy G gives them the best chance of giving ZW one last shot. Im thinking they let White go and make ZW the backup. They let ZW sit as the backup for a long stretch until if/when Jimmy G gets hurt. When he does ZW gets his next shot - if Jimmy G falters they easily replace him with ZW for one last shot. If he looks good they will all likely get another shot as ZW "developed"
This strikes me as the most likely result. Jimmy also strikes me as a guy who would be a good mentor/role model for Zach, something that Flacco seemed to have little interest in doing.

Last edited:
Throw another name into the hat. Schefter says that a trade is a real scenario for Aaron Rodgers. "A real possibility".

Says Carr is expected to be traded. Demand exceeds supply. As many as 8 teams could trade for Carr. He mentioned the entire NFC South as well as us.

Im still not convinced Carr is traded - he has a no trade clause and could get a new fat contract. Why would he want to help the Raiders and hurt his new team. Im also not convinced he is up for New York.

Would be up for the old GB QB exchange part II - Favre cost them a late round pick - this would be more expensive. ARod would have a good 2 yrs to make a run....it would be fun at least!

Still think the money is on Jimmy G - they bring back White and ZW is 3rd string learning year.

Im still not convinced Carr is traded - he has a no trade clause and could get a new fat contract. Why would he want to help the Raiders and hurt his new team. Im also not convinced he is up for New York.

Would be up for the old GB QB exchange part II - Favre cost them a late round pick - this would be more expensive. ARod would have a good 2 yrs to make a run....it would be fun at least!

Still think the money is on Jimmy G - they bring back White and ZW is 3rd string learning year.
I would think JimmyG would be less probable than many other options on the board simply because he hasn’t been available (health). I get the fact that he could be relatively cheap but (a) one case for acquiring him (familiarity with system) may be a moot point depending on who the new OC will be, and (b) after they learned the hard way (Becton), do they really want to “waste” another year because of unavailability of a key player?

I have zero idea what a likely alternative would be but, personally, I would run away from the JimmyG option.

I would think JimmyG would be less probable than many other options on the board simply because he hasn’t been available (health). I get the fact that he could be relatively cheap but (a) one case for acquiring him (familiarity with system) may be a moot point depending on who the new OC will be, and (b) after they learned the hard way (Becton), do they really want to “waste” another year because of unavailability of a key player?

I have zero idea what a likely alternative would be but, personally, I would run away from the JimmyG option.
I agree and its my least desirable option as well - I just have a feeling that is where they will go as it gives Saleh a familiar QB without giving up draft capital. They would still have White and ZW in the event of inevitable injury to JimmyG so I can see them spinning it that way. Id much rather a clean start with a more established QB like Carr, Lam or Rodgers - just doubting that happens - hope im wrong.

Re; Rodgers.....

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap. If he retired they could split that as $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025 using a similar June 2nd date as mentioned above in the retirement option.

Apparently "the option" is to pay out his salary as a 58M+ "bonus", which would make his cap # just $16M for 2023 (obviously VERY good). That retirement scenario would be a tough pill to swallow, but I guess you cross that bridge if you get to it.

From an ownership standpoint, this is truly a "put your money where you mouth is" situation. The money he is owed is obscene. Will Woody agree to pay out the bonus option? And if he does, how much do you have to give up to get him? Plenty of articles claiming 2 first rounders is the starting point. For a 39 year old taking up that much of the cap, that's tough. He can still play. I'm sure the thumb hindered him a lot this year. And with that relatively small cap charge (assuming I'm understanding it properly) you can still improve the team around him. The O-line would obviously be the biggest key.

This is a hard one. Is 39 year old Rodgers REALLY enough to get this team to the mountain top? Hard to say. I'm also not crazy about having to root for the guy personally, but if it meant a super bowl appearance, I'd obviously suck it up.

Last edited:
It should be an interesting off-season in the NFL, and especially for us.

Every option at QB has so much downside (and of course upside, but we’re Jets’ fans) - but something has to be done.

I’d hate to give up 2 firsts for Rodgers - on one hand he’s only one season removed from being MVP, but last year he just looked “off”. But I’d understand and would get behind swinging for the fences.

Re; Rodgers.....

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap. If he retired they could split that as $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025 using a similar June 2nd date as mentioned above in the retirement option.

Apparently "the option" is to pay out his salary as a 58M+ "bonus", which would make his cap # just $16M for 2023 (obviously VERY good). That retirement scenario would be a tough pill to swallow, but I guess you cross that bridge if you get to it.

From an ownership standpoint, this is truly a "put your money where you mouth is" situation. The money he is owed is obscene. Will Woody agree to pay out the bonus option? And if he does, how much do you have to give up to get him? Plenty of articles claiming 2 first rounders is the starting point. For a 39 year old taking up that much of the cap, that's tough. He can still play. I'm sure the thumb hindered him a lot this year. And with that relatively small cap charge (assuming I'm understanding it properly) you can still improve the team around him. The O-line would obviously be the biggest key.

This is a hard one. Is 39 year old Rodgers REALLY enough to get this team to the mountain top? Hard to say. I'm also not crazy about having to root for the guy personally, but if it meant a super bowl appearance, I'd obviously suck it up.
I see Rodgers making the Jets on par with the Chargers -- a playoff team. That's about it. Could the Rodgers-led Jets beat Cincinnati or Kansas City? Could they beat Buffalo? He's an upgrade, but not much of one. You don't need to find a Brock Purdy. You could get Garoppolo cheaper and end up the same. Maybe even Tannehill. Just somebody who doesn't cost you games.

Users who are viewing this thread