What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (9 Viewers)

Re; Rodgers.....

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap. If he retired they could split that as $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025 using a similar June 2nd date as mentioned above in the retirement option.

Apparently "the option" is to pay out his salary as a 58M+ "bonus", which would make his cap # just $16M for 2023 (obviously VERY good). That retirement scenario would be a tough pill to swallow, but I guess you cross that bridge if you get to it.

From an ownership standpoint, this is truly a "put your money where you mouth is" situation. The money he is owed is obscene. Will Woody agree to pay out the bonus option? And if he does, how much do you have to give up to get him? Plenty of articles claiming 2 first rounders is the starting point. For a 39 year old taking up that much of the cap, that's tough. He can still play. I'm sure the thumb hindered him a lot this year. And with that relatively small cap charge (assuming I'm understanding it properly) you can still improve the team around him. The O-line would obviously be the biggest key.

This is a hard one. Is 39 year old Rodgers REALLY enough to get this team to the mountain top? Hard to say. I'm also not crazy about having to root for the guy personally, but if it meant a super bowl appearance, I'd obviously suck it up.
I see Rodgers making the Jets on par with the Chargers -- a playoff team. That's about it. Could the Rodgers-led Jets beat Cincinnati or Kansas City? Could they beat Buffalo? He's an upgrade, but not much of one. You don't need to find a Brock Purdy. You could get Garoppolo cheaper and end up the same. Maybe even Tannehill. Just somebody who doesn't cost you games.
Rodgers is a monumental upgrade over what they had - this years team with Rodgers would easily be in the playoffs and could have made a big run...they have the possibility of being even better next year with AVT, Becton and Hall returning - should not lose anything of value in FA. Literally any average or above QB is an upgrade over what they have - the question is how much of an upgrade is Rodgers vs Jimmy G at this point....Id say its a very big one. I could see the Jets beating KC/Cincy with Rodgers...Jimmy G led team could do it (assuming the real chance hes not hurt) but much less odds. Is that worth the draft picks and monster contract? At this point after all these years Id say yes. This team has a 3 year window - might as well go for it.

I see Rodgers making the Jets on par with the Chargers -- a playoff team. That's about it. Could the Rodgers-led Jets beat Cincinnati or Kansas City? Could they beat Buffalo? He's an upgrade, but not much of one. You don't need to find a Brock Purdy. You could get Garoppolo cheaper and end up the same. Maybe even Tannehill. Just somebody who doesn't cost you games.
So Derek Carr can beat those teams in the playoffs (which you said) but Aaron Rodgers can't?

They beat the bills (to be fair, they had some guys hurt too) with Zach Wilson back in November...after hall and AVT got hurt.

Assuming Rodgers and the rest of the roster is healthy, they could beat anyone a year from now.

Re; Rodgers.....

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap. If he retired they could split that as $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025 using a similar June 2nd date as mentioned above in the retirement option.

Apparently "the option" is to pay out his salary as a 58M+ "bonus", which would make his cap # just $16M for 2023 (obviously VERY good). That retirement scenario would be a tough pill to swallow, but I guess you cross that bridge if you get to it.

From an ownership standpoint, this is truly a "put your money where you mouth is" situation. The money he is owed is obscene. Will Woody agree to pay out the bonus option? And if he does, how much do you have to give up to get him? Plenty of articles claiming 2 first rounders is the starting point. For a 39 year old taking up that much of the cap, that's tough. He can still play. I'm sure the thumb hindered him a lot this year. And with that relatively small cap charge (assuming I'm understanding it properly) you can still improve the team around him. The O-line would obviously be the biggest key.

This is a hard one. Is 39 year old Rodgers REALLY enough to get this team to the mountain top? Hard to say. I'm also not crazy about having to root for the guy personally, but if it meant a super bowl appearance, I'd obviously suck it up.
If you dont think Aaron Rodgers is not much of an upgrade on what the Jets have been rolling out at QB the past 5 years I dont know what to tell you It would be a massive upgrade.

KC, Cincy and Buffalo are the top of the conference teams...Jets beat Buffalo this year and Cincy the year before with terrible QBs. KC has shown signs of slowing down as well - An Arod led Jets team can absolutely make a run IMO if he plays anywhere close to his past form. Even if he regresses a bit they can win it all - like Manning on Denver late in his career

Well - Hackett could be like a Bowles - great coordinator/lousy HC but I think most Jets fans like me are taking this as a big sign that they are going allout for Arod.....having Hackett without Arod not great, That would be like ...welll...Gase without Peyton lol.

Oh lort I just saw the headline. Hackett, who had to hire someone to tell him when to go for it on 4th down? That Hackett?

Thoughts and prayers during this difficult time, Jets fans.
:(

If they dont land A-Rod then its all in their hands - its a year to year coaching regime at this point. If it implodes and they fall apart the whole staff is gone so Im fine with Saleh going with who he knows even if they dont get Arod. Hackett took Bortles to the AFCCG a few years back - lots of great coordinators are terrible HCs.

It’s obviously not a lock that the Jets now get Aaron Rodgers but the difference is last year GB did not want to trade Rodgers. This year they most likely do.

Hackett isn’t going to make or break the Jets - making the correct decision at QB will though.

There’s a ton of downside that comes with Rodgers, he’ll be 40 and didn’t look great this past season - but he would be stepping into a team with better offensive skill players (as odd as that is to say) and a top level defense. Out of all the options (Jackson isn’t an option mostly likely) Rodgers is the best option to “win now”.

Giving up multiple firsts wouldn’t be ideal though - but I think that speculation is probably on the high end.

Oh lort I just saw the headline. Hackett, who had to hire someone to tell him when to go for it on 4th down? That Hackett?

Thoughts and prayers during this difficult time, Jets fans.
:(
He’s not the HC. He was a successful OC in Green Bay.
Yea I know. One is inclined to wonder if his past success was on him, or on ARod.

He would not be on my short list of candidates after that fiasco in Denver.

Yea I know. One is inclined to wonder if his past success was on him, or on ARod.
I guess we could say that about any successful OC - I think most OCs look better when they have a good QB - which right now is a problem for the Jets of course.

We could also say last year he was cursed with the corpse of Russell Wilson in Denver. Wilson looked pathetic. I don’t think that’s on Hackett.

Clock management issues were there in Denver - but that’s not his role in NY.

I honestly don’t see this as a “good” or a “bad” hire - and if the team runs back Zach Wilson or Mike White the offense is going to suck even if Bill Walsh’s clone was calling plays.

I guess we could say that about any successful OC - I think most OCs look better when they have a good QB - which right now is a problem for the Jets of course.

We could also say last year he was cursed with the corpse of Russell Wilson in Denver. Wilson looked pathetic. I don’t think that’s on Hackett.

Clock management issues were there in Denver - but that’s not his role in NY.

I honestly don’t see this as a “good” or a “bad” hire - and if the team runs back Zach Wilson or Mike White the offense is going to suck even if Bill Walsh’s clone was calling plays.
Fair

Wade Phillips, Vic Fangio, Todd Bowles, Norv Turner - just a few excellent coordinators that were awful HCs.
Those guys had a long track record of being successful coordinators with several teams. This guy was an average offensive coordinator for several teams, a "good" OC with Rodgers, and then a ****ty HC for one season where he called the plays as well. And he may or may not have turned a potential HOF QB into one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Wilson looked pretty good to me in week 18.

New chapter and new cycle for you guys. I mean any snark aside (see Richard Curl joke) Hackett's forgotten more about football than armchair folks here have ever known and that said he's certainly young enough that most of his NFL history has yet to be written. And most hires around the league will get the barb here or there bc usually the jobs open up bc things went wrong. Maybe he needed to have 2 Wilsons to work with instead of just one ;)

And things got better for my Bengals after they fired a bunch of assistants 2 years ago so hope spring eternal.

good luck

-QG

I don't know if Hackett's going to do a good job as OC. All I know is that he better, because after this past year, if he stinks up the joint the NYC media is going to make his life a living hell. And he doesn't really strike me as the kind of guy who can take a punch

Obviously there are plenty of dudes who are great coordinators and just dont work as the HC. Sometimes its a skill-set issue (I think Todd Bowles falls into this category). Other times its an attitude/personality issue (I think this was Adam Gase's biggest problem, but not the only one).

It certainly doesn't mean they're going to be a bad coordinator once they're back in that role. But Hackett's absolutely hilarious (if you're not a Bronco fan) incompetence this year was pretty startling. Clock management wont be his responsibility in NY, but the fact that he failed so spectacularly in that area (I mean....it was "12 year old playing Madden" level stuff) speaks to his competency as a leader of a football team.

Add in the fact that there's some nepotism involved......and the fact that having Rodgers led to his greatest successes (and could serve as part of the reason the Jets hired him...thinking they might get Rodgers) and there's a LOT of red flags here. These coach's sons get a lot of 2nd and 3rd opportunities that they frankly do not deserve. I mean.....Brian Schottenheimer was being mentioned as a potential HEAD COACH after like ONE good year in Seattle. Dude was a DISASTER as an OC with the Jets but just kept getting jobs.

I'm not gonna come out and declare this a disaster from day 1. This isn't as obvious as when the Jets hired Gase. But I'm really surprised that the Jets are willing to deal with the optics of this move unless they KNOW they're getting Rodgers (which obviously isn't the case). Right or wrong....this dude was basically the laughing stock of the league this year. And now Saleh is basically betting his job on him.

Add in the fact that there's some nepotism involved.
This is every industry in the world really.

As someone who got like my first 3 jobs from nepotism (got hired partially because people knew my dad....didn't work in the same organization) I can't disagree.

But in most industries, your last name doesn't make you like the 3rd most important person in the organization. And its not like this is Bill Parcells' kid. Its Paul Hackett's.

Also....Saleh is claiming that while it was acknowledged (during the interview process) that the Jets are committed to bring in a veteran QB....."they didn't discuss names".

Come on, man.....you REALLY expect anyone to believe that. Either you think we're all stupid......or YOU are incompetent (why in the world would potential names NOT be discussed with the people you're interviewing to be the OC?)

Also....Saleh is claiming that while it was acknowledged (during the interview process) that the Jets are committed to bring in a veteran QB....."they didn't discuss names".

They probably were like "hey maybe we use a former guest-host or Jeopardy! at QB" or "I wonder if there's a guy out there who's brother got sacked 600 times playing for an expansion team"

What is the overall track record of hiring a coach to try and lure his guy (or get him traded) - I know it is talked about all the time but does it really happen all that much?

-QG

What do Jets’ fans think about that Rodgers’ price tag? Two 1sts for a 40 year old QB. Plus the contract.
I would not want to pay 2 firsts - the contract I could not care less about since most of their top players are on rookie deals right now.

His age certainly concerns me as well. He had a poor season last year - by his standards. I would hold out some hope because Rodgers came around when Watson started emerging and he played with no real weapons before that. Garrett Wilson >>> Watson and the Jets have better WR/TEs overall.

I'd be ok with something like 2023 2nd, 2024 1st and Cory Davis (apparently GB tried to trade for him) and maybe a few later picks. If Rodgers says that he isn't playing in GB, then I don't think GB can command 2 firsts (I could be wrong).

Rodgers with the Jets surely has a lot of downside - but there comes a point, that a team needs to start winning, and that time has come. If they don't overpay, I'll be happy to roll the dice with nutty Aaron.

What do Jets’ fans think about that Rodgers’ price tag? Two 1sts for a 40 year old QB. Plus the contract.

It's all speculation. We don't even know if he will be traded. If so, it's just media people guessing what it would cost.

From GB's pov, sure they can ask for whatever they want.

With the exception of the draft day trade with the Vikings, JD has always reamed other teams in trades. If he does make an offer, I would guess that it would be conditional based on him playing more than one year and how well the team does with Rodgers (playoff appearance, more with a Super Bowl appearance, etc).

At best, I can see a second this year and maybe a first next year (possibly another third or something like that) if he meets certain conditions like I wrote above.

The wildcard is if Woody Johnson pushes for a trade. He could willing to giving up more depending on his desperation.

I really want to keep this year's first rounder....as I think they need to spend it on tackle. (either to replace a non-healthy Becton or eliminate the need to bring back 38 year old Duane Brown....if he elects to keep playing)

Would absolutely give up our 2 and our 1 next year (conditional on Rodgers playing more than 1 year) plus some filler if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread