What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 NFL Free Agency Thread - News, Rumours & Speculation (1 Viewer)

What in the actual F are the Jaguars doing?  

💰🚽
They have the #1 pick in back to back drafts, so in a word, they suck and are trying to not suck (as much). Khan is a billionaire owner. Some of these deals will be busts, some will be good. But, its like what, 3 wins in 2 seasons? Gotta do something. 

Should've went all in on JC Jackson instead of throwing dead money at Zay Jones. Or did he not want to go there no matter what?

Last edited by a moderator:
They have the #1 pick in back to back drafts, so in a word, they suck and are trying to not suck (as much). Khan is a billionaire owner. Some of these deals will be busts, some will be good. But, its like what, 3 wins in 2 seasons? Gotta do something. 
Pretty sure the way to improve from league doormat isn’t to dump boatloads on retread wide receivers.  But I suppose we’ll see if spending = wins.  

Ok, ok, some more details coming in on Kirk's deal and we've been duped like they are feeding us fake 40 times.

Jags can be out for 2 years/$37 is all guarantees and can be cut after with out owing him more money. This per Dan Grazziano.

Ok, ok, some more details coming in on Kirk's deal and we've been duped like they are feeding us fake 40 times.

Jags can be out for 2 years/$27 is all guarantees and can be cut after with out owing him more money. This per Dan Grazziano.
Yeah, releasing the agent's press release of the deal means nothing these days. The questions to really ask are, "What are the guarantees?" and "Where's the out?". 

Not that I'm defending Trent Baalke and what he's doing. 

Zay Jones? Really? That's a head-scratcher. But so isn't Cedric Wilson for the Dolphins, really. 

Some of these guys around the league are 'bout to get paid. 

Can we mention the Jets here? Three important positions, three reasonable deals. Good work so far by my guys. 

Yeah, releasing the agent's press release of the deal means nothing these days. The questions to really ask are, "What are the guarantees?" and "Where's the out?". 
Yes, I had a typo on my post and it was $37m not $27M but the out is the key. I thought I was reading it earlier he had more guarantees. 2 years for $18.5 a year with team option to continue is way stiff and still an overpay, but not nearly as bad as what I thought they committed.

On a somewhat related note if people think Amari Cooper is trash so be it, but I think the Browns getting Amari for $20 per year with no guarantees for a 5th looks like really good business right now.

2 years for $18.5 a year with team option to continue is way stiff and still an overpay, but not nearly as bad as what I thought they committed.
I agree. That's why I posted Adam Hartstad's tweet in here about the cap-adjusted price of the deal. It's not as terrible a deal at first blush than we'd otherwise think. But it's still very stiff and very much an overpay, IMO. 

Every NFL tweet for the next hour starts with:
"Yeah, but STILL..."
And then there's that sentiment, which is so very true. Yeah, but still going to pay a guy 4/82 per contract? That's a nutty deal. But then again, I'd just respond with "He'll never see that in his dreams, and if he works out that well to where we want to re-sign him, that's what the market will be then for that type of guy anyway, so..." 

But the numbers look gaudy per Kirk's contract. 

Still don't get the Zay Jones signing, but I've been known to have to eat my words, so...

Jags can be out for 2 years/$37 is all guarantees and can be cut after with out owing him more money. This per Dan Grazziano.
That changes things dramatically…right now the #1 priority for the Jags is developing Lawrence…everything else is secondary because if he doesn’t develop to what we think he can be the franchise will go into an even blacker hole than they are currently in…so while they overpaid for Kirk he was about as good as they were gonna get iin free agency and no one is gonna go to Jax right now unless they get paid well…so roll the dice on Kirk, hope he takes things to the next level and if he doesn’t he is at least a solid WR for Lawrence to play with and you can cut him in two years…for Kirk, he picked a fantastic time to be a free agent…he could not have been luckier.

I think free agency can be great, but a team like the Jags could be signing that 2nd tier of players, that get a few mill guaranteed, and are still hungry.  Jags could sign a bunch of those players. Engram for 9 mill for 1 year? Just seems like throwing money away.

Check this out.

Tom Rock

@TomRock_Newsday

Evan Engram's departure makes it 11 straight Giants first-round picks who didn't get or play a long-term second contract with the team. ELEVEN! Last one to do so was Kiwanuka (JPP pieced together a few short term deals and Odell was signed then traded). That's a loooong stretch.

I think free agency can be great, but a team like the Jags could be signing that 2nd tier of players, that get a few mill guaranteed, and are still hungry.  Jags could sign a bunch of those players. Engram for 9 mill for 1 year? Just seems like throwing money away.
He’s fast and athletic. He could be a surprise if used in the slot and not as a blocker. 

Yes, I had a typo on my post and it was $37m not $27M but the out is the key. I thought I was reading it earlier he had more guarantees. 2 years for $18.5 a year with team option to continue is way stiff and still an overpay, but not nearly as bad as what I thought they committed.

On a somewhat related note if people think Amari Cooper is trash so be it, but I think the Browns getting Amari for $20 per year with no guarantees for a 5th looks like really good business right now.
How anyone could think Cooper is trash is mind boggling. He's a top-20 NFL WR. I do agree that 20 mil doesn't look so bad right now. 

And like Willie Mays Hayes, he's probably the most talented guy. Some team is gonna throw a day 3 pick at them, and get a useful player.

I kinda like the Fatukasi signing, he's a really good run stuffer, and in a division with Henry and Taylor that takes on extra importance. I haven't seen the money on Scherff yet, but assuming he's not the highest paid Guard in the NFL, I can defend that, but man the Jags have spent a ton of money today, without really moving the needle at all. Its a little like the Texans last offseason. 

Should've went all in on JC Jackson instead of throwing dead money at Zay Jones. Or did he not want to go there no matter what?
How much money would you have had to pay Jackson to go play on a horrid team in Jacksonville instead of a potential great team in Los Angeles?

Pretty sure the way to improve from league doormat isn’t to dump boatloads on retread wide receivers.  But I suppose we’ll see if spending = wins.  
Reminds me of when Matt Millen, Super Genius, made a big splash of signing Az Hakim and Bill Schroeder.  Engram, Jones, and Kirk?  Poor Jags fans. 

The Colts need a mobile QB and for me that is Mariota and he is affordable.  Also, they can't afford giving up additional draft capital like they did for Wentz last year, so even though he has his own warts, I don't see JimmyG as their QB.  If they somehow trade for Garropolo I hope they don't give up too much.  I don't see either Howell or Ridder being a day 1 starter, as both need time to develop, but that doesn't mean they won't draft one of them with the #42 pick.  Another possibility is Matt Ryan.  I'm not sure what he would cost.  One thing I do know is that being on the tail end of the free agent market has put them in a bad situation.  I hope they don't sign Teddy Bridgewater.  I'd rather sink with the ship and get a high pick next year.

Edited:  Just saw that Bridgewater signed with the Dolphins. Whew, that's one dud off the board.

The Colts need a mobile QB and for me that is Mariota and he is affordable.  Also, they can't afford giving up additional draft capital like they did for Wentz last year, so even though he has his own warts, I don't see JimmyG as their QB.  If they somehow trade for Garropolo I hope they don't give up too much.  I don't see either Howell or Ridder being a day 1 starter, as both need time to develop, but that doesn't mean they won't draft one of them with the #42 pick.  Another possibility is Matt Ryan.  I'm not sure what he would cost.  One thing I do know is that being on the tail end of the free agent market has put them in a bad situation.  I hope they don't sign Teddy Bridgewater.  I'd rather sink with the ship and get a high pick next year.
Bridgewater signed with Miami so you are safe there.  

Everyone said the way the Rams were doing it wasn't the right way. Until they won it all. 

Everyone?  Sure, ok.  

Just a slight difference in trading draft picks for Pro Bowl caliber players vs dropping up to $124 million on Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, and Evan Engram (I.e. not Pro Bow caliber players).  
Thanks for your input. Truly, its insightful. I'm sure if the Jags spent no money, "everyone" would be like "The Jags are just being frugal, not improving their roster, what a great strategy!"  

It's still a very bad contract - but yes at least they're not locked into 4 seasons (but most contracts are like that).

Still don't get the Zay Jones signing, but I've been known to have to eat my words, so...
I believe he's also a decent special teams player but that contract is terrible as well. 5 seasons in the NFL with a career statline of 171-1,884-11. One career game over 100 yards. 11 ypc.

ESPN's Michael DiRocco reports the Jaguars may be open to trading WR Laviska Shenault. 

The Jaguars loaded up on free agent pass catchers on Monday, inking Christian Kirk, Evan Engram, and Zay Jones. Doug Pederson is the second straight Jacksonville head coach who seems less-than-enamored with Shenault, a fantasy football folk hero whose best chance at success might be elsewhere. Shenault -- a dual threat wideout -- in 2021 failed to score a touchdown on 100 targets in the horrendous Jaguars offense. He could be a useful gadget player in an offense with established pass catchers. 
Kirk is a solid WR (despite the silly contract) but trading away a former second round pick - who has shown ability to play - under a cheap contract to make room for Zay Jones and Evan Engram, being well overpaid, is mind numbing.

The more I see that ridiculous contract, the more I like the Lions signing DJ Chark for 1 year $10 million.
Lions signed D.J. Chark, formerly of the Jaguars, to a one-year, $10 million contract. 

The deal can be worth up to $12 million with incentives. With the Jaguars adding a cavalcade of free agent wideouts on Monday, it was clear Chark was headed elsewhere. The Lions, with one of the league's worst wide receiver groups, offered Chark, 25, a one-year prove-it deal after he missed most of the 2021 season with a broken ankle. He broke out in 2019, posting 73 catches for 1,008 yards and eight touchdowns as a highly productive boundary receiver who should pair nicely with slot receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown. It could be tough sledding for Chark in a Detroit offense headed by Jared Goff. The Lions in 2021 had the third lowest early-down pass rate and Goff threw deep on just 9.1 percent of his attempts, among the lowest in the league. 

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 15, 2022, 8:10 AM ET

LOL, Jaguars.

Thanks for your input. Truly, its insightful. I'm sure if the Jags spent no money, "everyone" would be like "The Jags are just being frugal, not improving their roster, what a great strategy!"  
Relax Mr. Kahn.  Sheesh.  I’m sorry that people are criticizing your teams signings. Now get back to work locking up Allen Robinson to that monster contract you’ve been working on.  👍🏼  

Relax Mr. Kahn.  Sheesh.  I’m sorry that people are criticizing your teams signings. Now get back to work locking up Allen Robinson to that monster contract you’ve been working on.  👍🏼  
Haha all good man. I just think its funny in the world of hot takes/criticizing every move etc it was odd that "everyone" was piling on the team that was easily the worst team over a full 33 games of playing the last few years was just kind of funny as if Jacksonville is some destination city (it is not) or a perennial contender (already covered), so it would logically make sense (at least to me) that a team like this would have to overspend to attract free agents. 

Good on the Lions for getting Chark, who is probably a better (or at least equal to) WR than either of Kirk or Jones, at a much reduced rate. 
He needs to prove his ankles aren't made of Kleenex. 

That broken ankle was simply the latest ankle issue. 

Haha all good man. I just think its funny in the world of hot takes/criticizing every move etc it was odd that "everyone" was piling on the team that was easily the worst team over a full 33 games of playing the last few years was just kind of funny as if Jacksonville is some destination city (it is not) or a perennial contender (already covered), so it would logically make sense (at least to me) that a team like this would have to overspend to attract free agents. 
They do have to overspend to attract free agents, no doubt. Very relevant point.  No state taxes in Florida should help, but that organization has been a terrible mess.  

Guess I’d just overspend on positions other than WR if I were trying to rebuild.  But there’s a probably a reason I’m filing corporate taxes today and not running a professional football team. 😂

I think the point is that Zay Jones isn't a fa you spend money on

It's definitely not my imagination, we aren't hearing many rumors beforehand.

Previous years, it was so-and-so is in town, visiting Team X. The JC Jackson thing was on Twitter early, but we have a lot less chatter than usual. Interesting.

Good on the Lions for getting Chark, who is probably a better (or at least equal to) WR than either of Kirk or Jones, at a much reduced rate. 
Good deal for the Lions with respect to what they needed at WR with some speed and it's a reasonable one year tryout. On the other end while odds are high the Lions still draft a WR high  if Chark represents the biggest WR upgrade the Lions make this off season this is outstanding news for ASB.

They do have to overspend to attract free agents, no doubt. Very relevant point.  No state taxes in Florida should help, but that organization has been a terrible mess.  
I'd overspend to get good free agents - guys that would improve your team - but it doesn't make sense to overspend on guys that are marginally better, at best, than the guys you were previously bad with.

Best argument I've heard in favor of them getting Kirk in this manner is that it is vital to Lawrence's development to have a solid vet in the room/on the field with him. Gross overpay? Yes, as were the others. But they do need to churn, as do so many other teams. New coach, etc. Gotta figure Viska is a bust at this point. Three coaching staffs haven't used him or haven't wanted to. Marvin is a decent vet in the room but Kirk is 25. 

That is as close as I can come to positive spin on it. Along with the "they can get out after 2 years" and "salary cap is gonna keep blowing up the next 2 years, these deals are always shocking at first" spin.

Users who are viewing this thread