What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 NFL Free Agency Thread - News, Rumours & Speculation (1 Viewer)

Titans are still at about half a team with little cap space. 

It's not time for guys to accept small contracts. They probably gotta wait til then

Cowboys Twitter announced Randy Gregory deal. But:

Not so fast on Cowboys re-signing DE Randy Gregory. Text from Broncos source moments ago: “We got Randy.” Cowboys are still working through situation; there is still uncertainty on Gregory’s decision, source said. But Broncos very clearly in mix, if not the decided winner already 

https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1503765568020783105?t=ZQydULlFKoR5qTcbfU1K2A&s=19
Jerry will NEVER stop looking for a discount, b/c I feel he is a cheapskate, despite being the richest or one of the richer owners. Some good schadenfreude here  to make my day.

Jerry will NEVER stop looking for a discount, b/c I feel he is a cheapskate, despite being the richest or one of the richer owners. Some good schadenfreude here  to make my day.
Certainly paid up for Gallup, so I guess it depends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly paid up for Gallup, so I guess it depends.
Zay Jones got $10m Per year and this guy got $12M. Think Gallup gets a higher contract than Kirk if he doesn't tear ACL. My guess the moment that happened, Jerry "knew" he was gonna cut Amari to save $$$. 

Best argument I've heard in favor of them getting Kirk in this manner is that it is vital to Lawrence's development to have a solid vet in the room/on the field with him. Gross overpay? Yes, as were the others. But they do need to churn, as do so many other teams. New coach, etc. Gotta figure Viska is a bust at this point. Three coaching staffs haven't used him or haven't wanted to. Marvin is a decent vet in the room but Kirk is 25. 

That is as close as I can come to positive spin on it. Along with the "they can get out after 2 years" and "salary cap is gonna keep blowing up the next 2 years, these deals are always shocking at first" spin.
I don't know a ton about Kirk and haven't watched him play very often. Had him on a couple of fantasy rosters, and that's the closest I can point to in terms of following him so far. Not sure Kirk really counts as a "solid vet in the room." He's been a contributor, but I am not sure he is an established star or leader by any stretch.

That being said, he wasn't really the Cards WR1 in his time there. He was their WR2 behind Fitzgerald and Hopkins. Last year, ARI was much more of a collaborative approach on offense. Now he has the 6th largest WR contract in the league (not including incentives). Not all WR2s can cut it as WR1s going up against CB1s. And the combination of weapons and Murray last year certainly helped Kirk put up decent (but not ground-breaking) numbers. Maybe the Jags will try to force feed the ball to him 10-12 times a game, but that many targets seems high. 

Zay Jones

got $10m Per year and this guy got $12M. Think

Gallup

gets a higher contract than

Kirk

if he doesn't tear ACL. My guess the moment that happened, Jerry "knew" he was gonna cut Amari to save $$$. 
Combination of Lamb getting drafted/Gallup re-signing/no Cooper dead money meant Cooper was gone.

For 20 mill a year, you expect Alpha production. That has not been Amari. 

These deals today make the deal for CLE look better, but I am not so sure he's going to be any kind of savior in CLE.

I don't know a ton about Kirk and haven't watched him play very often. Had him on a couple of fantasy rosters, and that's the closest I can point to in terms of following him so far. Not sure Kirk really counts as a "solid vet in the room." He's been a contributor, but I am not sure he is an established star or leader by any stretch.

Sure he is. A journeyman veteran WR. Nothing special and certainly not a WR1. But to say a "solid vet in the room" is hardly an endorsement. Back handed insult really. I thought that intent was clear. I never said established star. I don't know anything about his leadership qualities but had heard an argument re:helping TL develop. Guess it is semantics but when I said solid vet I didn't expect that to mean much. There are tons of other solid vets. Kirk was probably the #1 asset available though. Some may argue Juju or Chark. 

Huge opening for a lot of targets in Atlanta with Gage gone - Pitts can't do it all.

Can see A-Rob or JuJu plus one of the top rookie WRs.

Huge opening for a lot of targets in Atlanta with Gage gone - Pitts can't do it all.

They were being called a dark horse candidate to land Watson. Could be a *very* good WR opportunity to he had there, whoever that may be. 

They were being called a dark horse candidate to land Watson. Could be a *very* good WR opportunity to he had there, whoever that may be. 
True. Patterson could also return, although I see him as more lightning in a bottle from early last year and likely not to be repeated. 

:popcorn:   Pitts owners everywhere.  Watson's being courted by the Saints and Panthers, would be incredible if he juked and went to a different NFC South team

Combination of Lamb getting drafted/Gallup re-signing/no Cooper dead money meant Cooper was gone.

For 20 mill a year, you expect Alpha production. That has not been Amari. 

These deals today make the deal for CLE look better, but I am not so sure he's going to be any kind of savior in CLE.
Sounds like a big exodus next year then b/c I can count quite a few "alphas" being overpaid/not producing to their expected level. 

And today's market, Amari Cooper's deal still seems like a decent value, not terribly bad. 

No dog in this race really though. The more mistakes the Cowboys make (how many mistakes were involved in Cooper alone?), the better it is for my Eagles. 

Sure he is. A journeyman veteran WR. Nothing special and certainly not a WR1. But to say a "solid vet in the room" is hardly an endorsement. Back handed insult really. I thought that intent was clear. I never said established star. I don't know anything about his leadership qualities but had heard an argument re:helping TL develop. Guess it is semantics but when I said solid vet I didn't expect that to mean much. There are tons of other solid vets. Kirk was probably the #1 asset available though. Some may argue Juju or Chark. 
I guess we differ on what a solid vet means. Landry to me is more of what I was thinking. A guy that has played more years, a multi-time Pro Bowler, someone that had a significant role on his other teams, has been force fed the ball, and can be a security blanket. At least that's my vision of a veteran WR . . . and none of those attributes really apply to Kirk (at least as far as his past performance goes).

Continuing along that theme / description, one would think that the Jag could have ended up with a Top 5-10 WR with the money they paid out if they traded for someone already living in the high rent district. We can debate the merits of Amari, but he fits that profile. Who knows if other teams are looking to get out from under other big contracts. Other candidates that I would slot in the category I mentioned would be OBJ or Brandin Cooks.

I guess we differ on what a solid vet means. Landry to me is more of what I was thinking. A guy that has played more years, a multi-time Pro Bowler, someone that had a significant role on his other teams, has been force fed the ball, and can be a security blanket. At least that's my vision of a veteran WR . . . and none of those attributes really apply to Kirk (at least as far as his past performance goes).

Continuing along that theme / description, one would think that the Jag could have ended up with a Top 5-10 WR with the money they paid out if they traded for someone already living in the high rent district. We can debate the merits of Amari, but he fits that profile. Who knows if other teams are looking to get out from under other big contracts. Other candidates that I would slot in the category I mentioned would be OBJ or Brandin Cooks.
Landry would be a much better get for them. Same with Cooks. At least in terms of price. But yes my bar for "solid vet" is seemingly much lower. Kirk has made plays consistently for the Cards. But as a role player. For me solid vet equals role player. Stud territory is at least one tier above that. Kirk is 25 and better than you're giving him credit for IMO but I don't even know if I have him in my top50 WRs. He was probably off my board until now. Anyway yes some much cheaper vets on an equal or better talent/production profile that could have been had. Kirk will need to really outperform expectations to make it approach being worth it. 

I am also skeptical Lawrence takes any year 2 leap. Modest perhaps.

Landry would be a much better get for them. Same with Cooks. At least in terms of price. But yes my bar for "solid vet" is seemingly much lower. Kirk has made plays consistently for the Cards. But as a role player. For me solid vet equals role player. Stud territory is at least one tier above that. Kirk is 25 and better than you're giving him credit for IMO but I don't even know if I have him in my top50 WRs. He was probably off my board until now. Anyway yes some much cheaper vets on an equal or better talent/production profile that could have been had. Kirk will need to really outperform expectations to make it approach being worth it. 

I am also skeptical Lawrence takes any year 2 leap. Modest perhaps.
Many young QBs have been done in by constant coaching, coordinator, and scheme changes. That's why I generally feel that a losing team is still better off keeping a set of coaches for several years than making wholesale changes every year or two. That's the main obstacle that might keep TL from making big strides next season.

I'm not the Jags front office, but IMO, they could have had three guys like Kirk for the cost of Kirk. Maybe he develops more and takes the next step and earns some of his inflated salary. If I were them, they would have been better off taking on a couple of lower priced guys and drafting a high upside WR. But they didn't ask me.

The Eagles did not tender restricted free agent RB Boston Scott, making him a free agent.

Eagles beats are still talking up the possibility of Scott returning at a lower salary level, as he would have made $2.43 million on even the lowest tender. But for the moment, this appears to lock Kenneth Gainwell into the passing-downs role in Philadelphia. Scott had a laughably unsustainable seven touchdowns on 87 rushes last year, and produced as a starter in the absence of Miles Sanders. He may find a real offer in free agency.

SOURCE: Dave Zangaro on Twitter

Mar 15, 2022, 3:06 PM ET

So I’m counting for roughly $126 million the Jags bought 4 years of Kirk, 3 years of Zay Jones and a year out of Evan Engram.
And I'd argue they have a worse pass catching group than they had at this time last year.

Its especially egregious because this is a very deep rookie WR class. A quality WR will be there at 33. 

Bad teams stay bad. 

I know it’s really difficult with the cap, but Watson to Atlanta and Ryan to Indy makes a lot of sense IF everyone can make the cap work. 
Why not Ryan to Houston? They could hold him for the highest bidder too, but I don't think they are set on Davis Mills either.

I just don't see Indy having the ammo. Ryan isn't getting traded for a 2. They giving up Nelson? 

Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

Sources: #Packers offered Davante Adams over $23M per year - highest ever for a WR - but declined it. The NFLPA’s “new money average” says the highest ever is DeAndre Hopkins at over $27M. However, that was 2 extra years added to a 3-year deal and has skewed market significantly.

So I’m counting for roughly $126 million the Jags bought 4 years of Kirk, 3 years of Zay Jones and a year out of Evan Engram.

Let's revise this based on outs, worst case for Jags.

Kirk 2/$37M

Engram 1/$9m plus $1m in incentives

Zay Jones 2/$14m and up to $1m in annual incentives

So they could end up buying 2 years of Kirk, 2 years of Zay Jones and a year of Engram for a grand total of $60-63 million.

Still crappy, but can get out of these deals for just about half of total dollar amounts and be pain free in 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mckissic to Buffalo. No threat to singletary but what up with moss?
Plus they signed Tim Settle, who IMO is better than Payne.  Payne just happened to be WAS 1st rounder so they played him. 

WAS had like 7 good players last year.  BUF has taken two of them in FA.

Let's revise this based on outs, worst case for Jags.

Kirk 2/$37M

Engram 1/$9m plus $1m in incentives

Zay Jones 2/$14m and up to $1m in annual incentives

So they could end up buying 2 years of Kirk, 2 years of Zay Jones and a year of Engram for a grand total of $60-63 million.

Still crappy, but can get out of these deals for just about half of total dollar amounts and be pain free in 2 years.
Never a good sign when the positive spin to a signing is when you can afford to get rid of them. 

Plus they signed Tim Settle, who IMO is better than Payne.  Payne just happened to be WAS 1st rounder so they played him. 

WAS had like 7 good players last year.  BUF has taken two of them in FA.
Settle and McKissic were certainly not 2 of Washington's 7 best players. They were ok role players. Settle is not better than Payne, though I will agree Payne is overrated. 

And I'd argue they have a worse pass catching group than they had at this time last year.

Its especially egregious because this is a very deep rookie WR class. A quality WR will be there at 33. 

Bad teams stay bad. 
And they added Marvin Jones above market last off-season. 

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Cowboys have "high interest" in free agent Von Miller after losing Randy Gregory to the Broncos. 

That is "depending on financial expectations." This would mean there is mutual interest between the sides, as NFL Network reported earlier Tuesday that Miller has a "very strong interest" in heading back to Texas. The Cowboys definitely have the need after Gregory's abrupt departure, while Miller's potential reunion with the Broncos was spoiled by Gregory's addition.  

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

SOURCE: Ed Werder on Twitter 

Mar 15, 2022, 4:55 PM ET

Thread title say's rumors so I'm going to shoot.

I anticipate today is going to be massive and having nothing to do with Wilson/Wentz announced but not yet official trades or free agent contracts agreed to but not signed.

I'll be very surprised if Watson is not traded in next 5 hours from this post.

That's just all the stuff we know or I assume.

But hearing chatter from several people that today is going to have a lot of crazy stuff go down and it's made my mind think of what it might be? I do believe CMC  and Barkley are both being shopped. Some speculation this morning that it's not out of realm of thought that Godwin could possibly be signed and traded. SF cleared a lot of cap space this morning with some restructures.

I can't figure out what going to go down today an one got guesses on major trade not involving Watson? If I had to make an off the wall guess I'd say SF might be interested in CMC but that's a total off the wall guess. Either way if today we don't see Watson traded and a few firework trades pop off I'll be disappointed.  Last 10 days has been like one big news event after another, I just got a feeling today is going to top them all.

If I had to make an off the wall guess I'd say SF might be interested in CMC but that's a total off the wall guess.
More of an "off your meds" guess, I would say.  Less than 4% chance SF would want him for his price/salary when they have a stable full of cheap options on their roster already.

More of an "off your meds" guess, I would say.  Less than 4% chance SF would want him for his price/salary when they have a stable full of cheap options on their roster already.
I've been saying for a few years I don't agree with people who don't think SF/Kyle will invest salary cap/draft capital in a RB.

They signed McKinnon to a fairly healthy contract. Multiple reports said they were runner up to Bell when he hit FA first time(for way less then Jets paid). Mitchell and Sermon only RB's under contract I believe, maybe Hasty who is a zero and Sermon might be as well. And finally, maybe most importantly, CMC is not just a RB.

I'd say it's far more likely then not to happen, just spitballing because the point is to try and predict something not predictable,  but I would strongly push back on notion that SF won't make an investment in someone like CMC if the price was right.

I've been saying for a few years I don't agree with people who don't think SF/Kyle will invest salary cap/draft capital in a RB.

They signed McKinnon to a fairly healthy contract. Multiple reports said they were runner up to Bell when he hit FA first time(for way less then Jets paid). Mitchell and Sermon only RB's under contract I believe, maybe Hasty who is a zero and Sermon might be as well. And finally, maybe most importantly, CMC is not just a RB.

I'd say it's far more likely then not to happen, just spitballing because the point is to try and predict something not predictable,  but I would strongly push back on notion that SF won't make an investment in someone like CMC if the price was right.
As a SF fan, I’m deeply skeptical. They struck gold on Mitchell after a move up swing & a miss on Sermon, who some insiders are saying could bounce back as part of a 2022 committee. 

Also the 49ers only have Mitchell, Sermon & Hasty on the team, so yes - they’ll need to add someone, and I don’t doubt the cap clearing is in part related. But I very much doubt it’s to add CMC at that price, coming off of an injury marred season. If the Niners did get CMC, I’d expect CAR to have to eat a significant portion of that contract. I’d be much less surprised if the cap clearing was in part so the Niners could bring back Mostert on a team-friendly deal.  But since Shanny can make seemingly any RB a workable, productive solution, I’m deeply skeptical it’s CMC.  So suffice to say I disagree here. 

Also with the Panthers courting Watson, I doubt they deal CMC before a Watson deal is completed.

i don’t doubt they’ll try to move CMC if they miss on Watson - what’s the point of having a superstar RB on a team going nowhere that lacks a franchise QB?  At that point, bring in RoJo or Sony, pair them up with a receiving back & hope Chubba develops into more than a JAG.

IMO the 49ers will use that cap space to add depth to the RB room, bolster the secondary, and to prepare for the eventuality that they’ll be stuck holding JimmyG until summer when he proves his shoulder surgery was a success. He’s ~25M against the cap - so that alone could account for today’s moves. 

IMO the 49ers will use that cap space to add depth to the RB room, bolster the secondary, and to prepare for the eventuality that they’ll be stuck holding JimmyG until summer when he proves his shoulder surgery was a success. He’s ~25M against the cap - so that alone could account for today’s moves. 
The problem for the Niners will be holding on to Jimmy G will limit their ability to make moves in the short term. They will recoup $25.5M in cap space once they move Jimmy, but for now they only have about $8M in cap space. Teams want a QB now . . . not in July. There also won't be much free agent talent left by then. They might be better off to move JG now for lesser compensation than waiting it out.

The problem for the Niners will be holding on to Jimmy G will limit their ability to make moves in the short term. They will recoup $25.5M in cap space once they move Jimmy, but for now they only have about $8M in cap space. Teams want a QB now . . . not in July. There also won't be much free agent talent left by then. They might be better off to move JG now for lesser compensation than waiting it out.
Oh I’m well aware.

some are suggesting they cut JimmyG. Some hosts on local sports talk are suggesting JimmyG’s timing of this surgery was meant to facilitate exactly that.

That said, it’s also long been suggested that the 49ers hang onto JimmyG as a backup, which they’ll need regardless. Both from an insurance perspective, and a “just in case Lance isn’t good enough” perspective.

You’re free to judge how much truth there is in all that on your own. 

Oh I’m well aware.

some are suggesting they cut JimmyG. Some hosts on local sports talk are suggesting JimmyG’s timing of this surgery was meant to facilitate exactly that.

That said, it’s also long been suggested that the 49ers hang onto JimmyG as a backup, which they’ll need regardless. Both from an insurance perspective, and a “just in case Lance isn’t good enough” perspective.

You’re free to judge how much truth there is in all that on your own. 
The question I ponder over is how much can they actually get back for him? I don't see a team trading for him without having to give him a new deal and more bonus / guaranteed money. What good is bringing a guy in for a single season?

IMO, he'd be a solid contributor on a good team, but he won't win games for you on his own. And I don't think he makes a poor team that much better. Other than the Colts and Saints, I don't think there are many teams that are great fits. Both of those teams would probably be better off with someone else longer term. Jimmy seems destined to end up on a team that falls short of finding a QB when the music stops. By then, his trade value might plummet.

As a SF fan, I’m deeply skeptical. They struck gold on Mitchell after a move up swing & a miss on Sermon,
Again I was just spit balling, trying to predict something shocking not what anyone is expecting so I'm not going to fight against people saying it's crazy or highly unlikely. I'd need like 10 to 1 odds to bet on something like this myself.

But I don't think for one second that Mitchell or Sermon factor into any potential interest that SF would have in a guy like CMC. Like I said earlier CMC is more then a RB and the possibilities and help to a young QB that an offense featuring CMC, Deebo and running ability of Lance might be something they at least consider.

Salary cap space, especially with Deebo's extension coming and compensation for CMC after paying so much for Trey Lance are for sure prohibting factors. As well as Carolina actually wanting to move CMC and you mentioned they are likely holding him to help them get Watson, what I'm suggesting is they would know by this time they are out.

Users who are viewing this thread