What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 NFL Free Agency Thread - News, Rumours & Speculation (1 Viewer)

The question I ponder over is how much can they actually get back for him? I don't see a team trading for him without having to give him a new deal and more bonus / guaranteed money. What good is bringing a guy in for a single season?

IMO, he'd be a solid contributor on a good team, but he won't win games for you on his own. And I don't think he makes a poor team that much better. Other than the Colts and Saints, I don't think there are many teams that are great fits. Both of those teams would probably be better off with someone else longer term. Jimmy seems destined to end up on a team that falls short of finding a QB when the music stops. By then, his trade value might plummet.
I don’t see the Colts as a great fit. While not a complete statue, Jimmy is largely immobile. And Jimmy lacks the arm to make the deep throws that the Colts offense opens up with strong running to facilitate PA passing.

I don’t see the Colts as a great fit. While not a complete statue, Jimmy is largely immobile. And Jimmy lacks the arm to make the deep throws that the Colts offense opens up with strong running to facilitate PA passing.
The fit is they don't have a QB, and they are a playoff contending team. What are the other options for the Colts these days? Both IND and SFO were essentially Top 5 in rushing attempts and Bottom 5 in passing attempts. On a conceptual level, they are similar. On an X's and O's level they may not be.

Not to make this more about Jimmy G, but I actually think he'd be a good fit in Indy. They seemed to move on from Wentz because of his bad decision making/accuracy, which are strengths of Jimmy. While hardly a world beater, he would be enough of a threat to keep defenses honest and open up running lanes for Taylor. They've got a really good WR in Pittman and just need a few more weapons there.

You would know more as a Niners homer, but I think they have indeed overplayed their hand with Jimmy as QB needy teams have made their move to get their guys.

Not to make this more about Jimmy G, but I actually think he'd be a good fit in Indy. They seemed to move on from Wentz because of his bad decision making/accuracy, which are strengths of Jimmy. While hardly a world beater, he would be enough of a threat to keep defenses honest and open up running lanes for Taylor. They've got a really good WR in Pittman and just need a few more weapons there.

You would know more as a Niners homer, but I think they have indeed overplayed their hand with Jimmy as QB needy teams have made their move to get their guys.
I see it more as the Watson trade is going to be the 1st domino to fall & then all sorts of #### is gonna go down.

As for the Colts, the one think JimmyG can do that Wentz was seemingly unwilling to do is hit the short and intermediate throws. It’s not so much an inability, as an unwillingness - Wentz just refused to check down the ball & take the easy 3-5, always trying for the longer, more difficult shots. 

But JimmyG lacks the deep ball accuracy to help the Colts. It would be nightmare acquisition for Pittman owners (like me). 

But JimmyG lacks the deep ball accuracy to help the Colts. It would be nightmare acquisition for Pittman owners (like me). 
I think Pittman thrives underneath and crossing routes, using his size and wingspan, to win one-on-one battles. He can also get down the field, but I think that's something a speedster can do more of to take the top off the defense.

I think as a Pittman owner what you really need to hope here is HOU is smart enough to trade Watson to ATL(outside the conference) and get a package that includes Ryan. Then if you're HOU you take Ryan and flip him for another package of draft picks so that Ryan ends up in IND.

That makes all the sense in the world to me, getting a package of draft picks for both Watson AND Ryan, which is why I'm pretty sure HOU will do something completely different than that.

Not to make this more about Jimmy G, but I actually think he'd be a good fit in Indy. They seemed to move on from Wentz because of his bad decision making/accuracy, which are strengths of Jimmy.
I thought one of the reasons SF wanted to move on from JimmyG was exactly because they didn't trust his decision making.... especially late in games.

The year they made the SB they seemed afraid to even let him throw the ball. Last year, they would have been "one-and-done" if DAL would have been able to fully capitalize on his poor decisions down the stretch in that game. I honestly thought that we might see Trey Lance replace JimmyG in that game because SF would turtle up and wouldn't let JimmyG throw another pass so you might as well have the threat of Lance running the ball.

But I'm not a SF fan. That's just how I recall the two SF playoff runs.

I think as a Pittman owner what you really need to hope here is HOU is smart enough to trade Watson to ATL(outside the conference) and get a package that includes Ryan. Then if you're HOU you take Ryan and flip him for another package of draft picks so that Ryan ends up in IND.
This makes the most sense for everything - NFC South is a pretty weak conference, outside of an old Tom Brady.  Watson would command some interest from some WR's - JuJu??  Will Fuller??  Allen Robinson?  They could resurrect their career on a 1 year deal for low money and go somewhere else.

Matt Ryan to the Colts is a no-brainer and the Colts should be inquiring about his services with or without this deal.  

The fit is they don't have a QB, and they are a playoff contending team. What are the other options for the Colts these days? Both IND and SFO were essentially Top 5 in rushing attempts and Bottom 5 in passing attempts. On a conceptual level, they are similar. On an X's and O's level they may not be.
I'll get boo'd for saying this but I think a run heavy attack where there is legit play action on most passing attempts actually suits Goff very well. It wouldn't take nearly as much to acquire Goff given his salary and IND is one of the few teams that could eat that salary pretty easily.

And about that absurd salary, don't look now but $30mil/season really isn't the outlier it once was. In a league where new QB contracts are being signed for $40-$50mil and assuming we are past the pandemic reasons for the salary cap falling I don't thing the Goff salary is going to feel like the albatross it once was. Rodgers got his $50mil/season but Jackson, Herbert, and Burrow are going to be backing a Brinks truck up when it's their turn.

I'll get boo'd for saying this but I think a run heavy attack where there is legit play action on most passing attempts actually suits Goff very well. It wouldn't take nearly as much to acquire Goff given his salary and IND is one of the few teams that could eat that salary pretty easily.

And about that absurd salary, don't look now but $30mil/season really isn't the outlier it once was. In a league where new QB contracts are being signed for $40-$50mil and assuming we are past the pandemic reasons for the salary cap falling I don't thing the Goff salary is going to feel like the albatross it once was. Rodgers got his $50mil/season but Jackson, Herbert, and Burrow are going to be backing a Brinks truck up when it's their turn.
We’ll see how things go moving forward, but IMO this only makes rookie contracts twice as valuable. Find a guy in the first round and you can reap the benefits for five years. 

One other thing and it is a big one for a QB...Jimmy G's teammates like him, Wentz seemed to have an issue in that area...that may not matter much at other positions, but it does at QB.

We’ll see how things go moving forward, but IMO this only makes rookie contracts twice as valuable. Find a guy in the first round and you can reap the benefits for five years
Don't "find A guy". You have to "find THE guy".

Sometimes that can take 3 high first round draft choices and 6+ years in trial and error. 

I do agree teams that don't NEED a QB this year should be drafting their next guy before they are desperate, however.

Don't "find A guy". You have to "find THE guy".

Sometimes that can take 3 high first round draft choices and 6+ years in trial and error. 

I do agree teams that don't NEED a QB this year should be drafting their next guy before they are desperate, however.
I think that the NFL QB pipeline is one of those data points that is ripe for a change.  Personally, I think any NFL team should be drafting a QB about every 3 years, and "where" to draft him is dependent on what QB they have on their roster.

If you have an "in his prime stud QB" then likely take a QB round 5 or beyond and develop him (the Jeff Garcia Model)

If you have a "back 9 qb"  (good but getting up there in years) or a "Young starter but we are not sure he is the guy" Qb then somewhere in rounds 3 - 5.

IF you don't have a QB, then Buy one and then pick one in round 1 or 2.  

Lather, rinse, repeat.  

Scenario 1 you find a guy who can back up the stud and perhaps win a game or two if he gets hurt.

Scenario 2 you find a Dak or a Russ (or a Brady) and at worst you get trade fodder or an easy salary dump.

Scenario 3 you keep throwing picks at the wall till someone sticks.

If you have an "in his prime stud QB" then likely take a QB round 5 or beyond and develop him (the Jeff Garcia Model)
I'm also surprised that we see this more often. Whether it a kid getting drafted on day 3 because he's overcoming an injury, or went to a small school, or needs his mechanics cleaned up, or he had off field problems so you hire Bubba to be his nanny 24-hours, etc.... you would think with NFL coaching over 2-3 years they would be able to coach up some of these guys into at least a lower tier starter.

Maybe it also speaks to the amount of coaching turnover because nobody want to develop the previous coaching regimes "pet project". 

But now that teams are investing a full 25% of their salary cap to just the QB position one would think a franchise would starting thinking outside the box on this. And maybe teams like NE/SEA are starting that process. The "OLD" way of doing things would be giving Brady/Wilson anything they wanted until the wheels completely fall off like PIT did with Big Ben.

e investing a full 25% of their salary cap to just the QB position one would think a franchise would starting thinking outside the box on this. And maybe teams like NE/SEA are starting that process. The "OLD" way of doing things would be giving Brady/Wilson anything they wanted until the wheels completely fall off like PIT did with Big Ben.
Agreed and while slightly off topic: You let the QB know this is what we are doing so they don't end up with a Aaron Rodgers type scenario.

I think that the NFL QB pipeline is one of those data points that is ripe for a change.  Personally, I think any NFL team should be drafting a QB about every 3 years, and "where" to draft him is dependent on what QB they have on their roster.

If you have a "back 9 qb"  (good but getting up there in years) or a "Young starter but we are not sure he is the guy" Qb then somewhere in rounds 3 - 5.

IF you don't have a QB, then Buy one and then pick one in round 1 or 2.  

Lather, rinse, repeat.  

Scenario 1 you find a guy who can back up the stud and perhaps win a game or two if he gets hurt.

Scenario 2 you find a Dak or a Russ (or a Brady) and at worst you get trade fodder or an easy salary dump.

Scenario 3 you keep throwing picks at the wall till someone sticks.
Given that Garcia went I drafted, not sure that applies. The problem becomes team end up burning picks better suited at other positions. Jimmy G and Jordan Love as examples. Since they never really say much action, their trade value is usually minimal. Wasting a low dollar rookie contract also makes no sense. 

Teams have been utilizing a pipeline and development approach for years. Most QB past the 4th round rarely turn into anything. The fact of the matter is guys picked earlier turn into decent QB way more than the guys drafted later. And the kids rate is still 50% on first round picks. 

Part of the issue is teams are so desperate for QBs that they draft some that aren’t worthy of an early pick but they take them anyway. Guys that amount to much of anything are usually going to be Top 50 picks. Any guys past that are mostly luck. Dak, Russ, and Tom being exceptions. Teams might luck out and find one of those guys, but that’s like finding a needle in a haystack. 

The trade value for a retread or a total backup is very low. Teams have to hope the guy they pick does something or they will end up losing out. There are tons of examples like Darnold or Wentz. 

Given that Garcia went I drafted, not sure that applies. The problem becomes team end up burning picks better suited at other positions. Jimmy G and Jordan Love as examples. Since they never really say much action, their trade value is usually minimal. Wasting a low dollar rookie contract also makes no sense. 

Teams have been utilizing a pipeline and development approach for years. Most QB past the 4th round rarely turn into anything. The fact of the matter is guys picked earlier turn into decent QB way more than the guys drafted later. And the kids rate is still 50% on first round picks. 

Part of the issue is teams are so desperate for QBs that they draft some that aren’t worthy of an early pick but they take them anyway. Guys that amount to much of anything are usually going to be Top 50 picks. Any guys past that are mostly luck. Dak, Russ, and Tom being exceptions. Teams might luck out and find one of those guys, but that’s like finding a needle in a haystack. 

The trade value for a retread or a total backup is very low. Teams have to hope the guy they pick does something or they will end up losing out. There are tons of examples like Darnold or Wentz. 

Interesting debate and you are likely right that after round 5 few picks really matter or hit.  

(If I was the GM of a club, I'd likely do a regression analysis on position vs where they were drafted.  I think (anecdotally) that D Line may be the best late round find).

Look at guys like swag kelly and what Bill B did with Jimmy G.  You look at pedigree and some success in college and then go from there, maybe with a little of "how highly they were recruited out of HS" in the mix.  With colleges pumping out 50 starters a year there has to be some overlooked guys out there.  (I'll add Kurt Warner to that list as well)

Cards bringing in Jeff Gladney and Maxx Williams are nice cheap moves. 

Gladney looked pretty rough as a rookie, but as a cheap CB who was a 2020 1st rounder, he's worth a flier. 

Williams has really been a good TE in Arizona whenever he's been healthy. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Ertz on the field together. Could be a way to really help Kyler Murray.

Interesting debate and you are likely right that after round 5 few picks really matter or hit.  

(If I was the GM of a club, I'd likely do a regression analysis on position vs where they were drafted.  I think (anecdotally) that D Line may be the best late round find).

Look at guys like swag kelly and what Bill B did with Jimmy G.  You look at pedigree and some success in college and then go from there, maybe with a little of "how highly they were recruited out of HS" in the mix.  With colleges pumping out 50 starters a year there has to be some overlooked guys out there.  (I'll add Kurt Warner to that list as well)
Here is the QB landscape as currently constituted in the NFL. There are roughly 100 QBs rostered or free agents fighting for a spot in the league. That's basically three per team. I will post them by round rather than one post listing a lot of guys.

FIRST ROUND SELECTIONS:

Trevor Lawrence 1
Joe Burrow 1
Kyler Murray 1
Baker Mayfield 1
Cam Newton 1
Jared Goff 1
Matt Stafford 1
Jameis Winston 1
Zach Wilson 2
Mitch Trubisky 2
Carson Wentz 2
Marcus Mariota 2
Trey Lance 3
Sam Darnold 3
Matt Ryan 3
Blake Bortles 3
Tua Tagovailoa 5
Justin Herbert 6
Daniel Jones 6
Josh Allen 7
Ryan Tannehill 8
Josh Rosen 10
Blaine Gabbert 10
Patrick Mahomes 10
Justin Fields 11
Deshaun Watson 12
Mac Jones 15
Dwayne Haskins 15
Joe Flacco 18
Aaron Rodgers 24
Jordan Love 26
Lamar Jackson 32
Ted Bridgewater 32

That's the list of 33 guys that are still around and represents about a third of the QBs on rosters (and a huge majority of starters). Going back 15 drafts, first round guys out of the league include Paxton Lynch, Johnny Manziel, EJ Manual, Robert Griffin, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, Chrisitan Ponder, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler.

SECOND ROUND SELECTIONS:

Andy Dalton 35
Derek Carr 36
Geno Smith 39
Drew Lock 42
Jalen Hurts 53
J Garoppolo 62
Kyle Trask 64

Not many (7 guys). And Jimmy G., Derek Carr, and Jalen Hurts are starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIRD ROUND SELECTIONS:

Kellen Mond 66
Davis Mills 67
Mike Glennon 73
Russell Wilson 75
Mason Rudolph 77
Colt McCoy 85
Davis Webb 87
Nick Foles 88
Sean Mannion 89
Jacoby Brissett 91

Ten guys. Wilson was a home run. I guess technically Mills is the starter in HOU (for now).

SECOND ROUND SELECTIONS:

Andy Dalton 35
Derek Carr 36
Geno Smith 39
Drew Lock 42
Jalen Hurts 53
J Garoppolo 62
Kyle Trask 64

Not many (7 guys). And Jimmy G. and Derek Carr are the only starters.
Is hurts not starting? Dalton started for a while too 

FOURTH ROUND SELECTIONS:

Will Grier 100
Kirk Cousins 102
C.J. Beathard 104
Jacob Eason 122
James Morgan 125

It gets tough to slot some of these guys with compensatory picks added in, but close enough. Five guys, and Cousins is the prize here.

FIFTH ROUND SELECTIONS:

James Morgan 125
Jarrett Stidham 133
Ian Book 133
Dak Prescott 135
Joshua Dobbs 135

Prescott technically was at the end of Round 4.

ROUND 6 & 7 SELECTIONS:

Kevin Hogan 162
AJ McCarron 164
Easton Stick 166
Jake Fromm 167
Mike White 171
G Minshew 178
Tyrod Taylor 180
Nate Sudfeld 187
Jake Luton 189
Trace McSorley 197
Tom Brady 199
Brandon Allen 201
Jeff Driskel 207
Garrett Gilbert 214
Sam Ehlinger 218
Danny Etling 219
Ben DiNucci 231
Nate Stanley 244
Logan Whiteside 249
Trevor Siemian 250
R Fitzpatrick 250

Brady was a pick of a lifetime. Minshew and Taylor had a couple years starting. Fitzmagic has started for many years. 21 guys on this list.

UDFA:

Feleipe Franks UDFA
Tyler Huntley UDFA
P.J. Walker UDFA
Ryan Willis UDFA
Jake Browning UDFA
Case Keenum UDFA
Cooper Rush UDFA
Brett Rypien UDFA
Tim Boyle UDFA
David Blough UDFA
Steven Montez UDFA
Kurt Benkert UDFA
Shane Buechele UDFA
Chase Daniel UDFA
John Wolford UDFA
Bryce Perkins UDFA
Brian Hoyer UDFA
Brian Lewerke UDFA
Reid Sinnett UDFA
Taylor Heinicke UDFA
Kyle Allen UDFA
David Blough UDFA
Chris Streveler UDFA
Taysom Hill UDFA

There are 24 guys here . . . almost as many as the first-round list. The point being, teams do try to take flyers and develop low dollar guys. Several of them have had years as starters.

Not included on these lists are the countless mid to late round picks that didn't pan out and didn't stick in the league. I evaluated this before, and IIRC, the chances of QBs sticking around and staying in the league (even as a backup) was pretty close to getting cut in half by each round (give or take) . . . 50/25/13/6/3/1 for 6th round or later. Not saying that teams can't find players past Days 1 or 2 in the draft, but the chances of them contributing get lower and lower.

Julio Jones getting released. 
I'm actually really surprised by this. Everything sounded like they wanted to keep him , and see if having Henry/AJ/Julio together would make them a Supe Bowl team.

I get that he's breaking down, but he's still effective when he's on the field. Julio is still a difference maker, and should be heavily sought after. 

I do wonder if this means they are going to be after a guy like Allen Robinson.

Here is the QB landscape as currently constituted in the NFL. There are roughly 100 QBs rostered or free agents fighting for a spot in the league. That's basically three per team. I will post them by round rather than one post listing a lot of guys.

FIRST ROUND SELECTIONS:

Trevor Lawrence 1
Joe Burrow 1
Kyler Murray 1
Baker Mayfield 1
Cam Newton 1
Jared Goff 1
Matt Stafford 1
Jameis Winston 1
Zach Wilson 2
Mitch Trubisky 2
Carson Wentz 2
Marcus Mariota 2
Trey Lance 3
Sam Darnold 3
Matt Ryan 3
Blake Bortles 3
Tua Tagovailoa 5
Justin Herbert 6
Daniel Jones 6
Josh Allen 7
Ryan Tannehill 8
Josh Rosen 10
Blaine Gabbert 10
Patrick Mahomes 10
Justin Fields 11
Deshaun Watson 12
Mac Jones 15
Dwayne Haskins 15
Joe Flacco 18
Aaron Rodgers 24
Jordan Love 26
Lamar Jackson 32
Ted Bridgewater 32

That's the list of 33 guys that are still around and represents about a third of the QBs on rosters (and a huge majority of starters). Going back 15 drafts, first round guys out of the league include Paxton Lynch, Johnny Manziel, EJ Manual, Robert Griffin, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, Chrisitan Ponder, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler.
And Andrew Luck

THIRD ROUND SELECTIONS:

Kellen Mond 66
Davis Mills 67
Mike Glennon 73
Russell Wilson 75
Mason Rudolph 77
Colt McCoy 85
Davis Webb 87
Nick Foles 88
Sean Mannion 89
Jacoby Brissett 91

Ten guys. Wilson was a home run. I guess technically Mills is the starter in HOU (for now).
I'd call Foles a hit. I mean he won a Super Bowl and was MVP of that game.

Ravens signed Za'Darius Smith. 4/35

Great deal for the Ravens. He's a top-10 EDGE whenever he's healthy.

Loving this offseason for Baltimore so far. 

I'm actually really surprised by this. Everything sounded like they wanted to keep him , and see if having Henry/AJ/Julio together would make them a Supe Bowl team.

I get that he's breaking down, but he's still effective when he's on the field. Julio is still a difference maker, and should be heavily sought after. 

I do wonder if this means they are going to be after a guy like Allen Robinson.
we can hope for Arob, just really hope it’s not to make room for JuJu bean. 
i had thought at the least that Julio would help in the clubhouse. Maybe he did, that’s hard to tell sometimes. 

(RotoWire) The Raiders are expected to sign Bolden, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports. Analysis: Bolden was pressed into an expanded role with the Patriots last season after James White's season-ending hip injury in Week 3 created a change-of-pace void behind the team's top early-down options, Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson. With White having re-signed with New England, the versatile Bolden should handle a depth role for Las Vegas behind Josh Jacobs and Kenyan Drake.

Bills signed OLB Von Miller, formerly of the Rams, to a six-year, $120 million contract.

No team allowed fewer points than the Bills last year and now they add an eight-time Pro Bowl linebacker to the squad. The arms race in the AFC has officially gone nuclear. After the Broncos traded Miller to the Rams in the middle of the 2021 season, he totaled five sacks across eight games for his new team. Miller looked even more dominant in the postseason, notching four sacks in as many games before he and the Rams got to hoist the Lombardy Trophy as Super Bowl champions. It's a massive deal for a 32-year-old defender but Miller has shown no signs of slowing and the Bills are competing at the top of a stacked AFC conference. A bolstered pass-rush allows Buffalo to double down on their already stellar defense from 2021 in an effort to quell the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert. The deal also makes Miller one of the five highest-paid edge defenders in the NFL.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2022, 6:45 PM ET

Cole Beasley released by Buffalo. 

While I think he might be one of the dumbest people in the NFL, he's still a very good slot WR, and should have no trouble finding work. I wonder if he could wind up back in Dallas with Cooper/Wilson both gone?

Cole Beasley released by Buffalo. 

While I think he might be one of the dumbest people in the NFL. He's still a very good slot WR, and should have no trouble finding work. I wonder if he could wind up back in Dallas with Cooper/Wilson both gone?
He's also 33, and counted as 6+M against the cap. The Bills are hurting after the Von Miller (insane) contract. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
He's also 33, and counted as 6+M against the cap. The Bills are hurting after the Von Miller (insane) contract. 
Oh, I get why he was cut, I'm just saying he likely won't struggle to find a new home. 

I don't think the Miller deal was insane at all. He's still a top-5 EDGE rusher, and Buffalo is in their window. Miller's game should also age well, so he should see at least 3 of those 6 years. 

Oh, I get why he was cut, I'm just saying he likely won't struggle to find a new home. 

I don't think the Miller deal was insane at all. He's still a top-5 EDGE rusher, and Buffalo is in their window. Miller's game should also age well, so he should see at least 3 of those 6 years. 
If it weren’t for his age (32) then the years & 💰 would make perfect sense.

IMO it’s insane to give a 6-year contract to a 32 year/old (turns 33 in 9 days). 

Folks are saying it’s more like a 3 or 4 year deal. Ok, so we think he’s still going to be elite at 36 or 37? 

I suppose we’ll find out. 

If it weren’t for his age (32) then the years & 💰 would make perfect sense.

IMO it’s insane to give a 6-year contract to a 32 year/old (turns 33 in 9 days). 

Folks are saying it’s more like a 3 or 4 year deal. Ok, so we think he’s still going to be elite at 36 or 37? 

I suppose we’ll find out. 
Yeah, its essentially 4/70 and then some dummy years. 

I think he can make it all 4 of those years. 

Users who are viewing this thread