What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 NFL Free Agency Thread - News, Rumours & Speculation (1 Viewer)

I also wonder a little just how long Keenan Allen has left. Like bring in a top-WR now, and he's pushing for the #1 job in 2024, ala Dallas drafting Lamb when they had Cooper/Gallup both coming off good seasons. 

If they take a guy in round 1, it'd be a Williams/Olave type, if they wait until round 3 its an Alec Pierce/Calvin Austin type. I'm not as high on Everett, I think he and Cook are very much a 1-1 replacement ability wise. I do like Palmer as a 3rd guy, so its not like its a need, but I can see the appeal. 

What do you disagree about on the OT's? I think Duane Brown is one of the 10 best OT's in the NFL, he's just being picky about playing for a contender. Eric Fisher was a pro bowl caliber guy until last season, when he was recovering from a major injury, and was 50-50 to be PUP'd. Under the circumstances, I think he deserves a pass for last year. Jason Peters just keeps being a solid starter even at age 39. He's 1 year fix mode, especially for a contending team in my opinion, or a team who maybe drafts an OT on day 2 who needs a little polish. 
In terms of OT when I watch those guys I just don't think they are all that great. Having said that I have no idea what their PFF ratings, etc are. All three of those players are leaving teams that desperately need OT help but none of their teams from last season seemed to put much of a priority on keeping them. I'll also admit that my opinion on Brown does fluctuate because I think his play fluctuates so much and maybe I just happen to see some of his poorer games last season. 

IMO whoever they acquire in the draft will likely end the season with no higher than the 4th amount of targets on offense, barring injury. I'm in no way saying that a 3rd rounder is going to be as good as a Williams/Olave, but I am saying a speedster in the third plus a starting RT would probably fix the reason the chargers missed the playoffs in the first place. And it would keep their franchise QB upright and healthy in the process. Unless they get a starting RT I'm not sure it matters all that much if Olave is running open 40 yards down field, or at least it wouldn't in that season defining loss to the raiders in OT.

I can understand what you are saying about Keenan Allen but given his playing style(straight route running) it seems to me he can contribute even after he loses a step. He's making Christian Kirk type money so even if he's ends up being a WR#2 it's still a reasonable salary imo.

Free agent Tyrann Mathieu conducted a "virtual visit" with the Eagles. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles have "emerged as a prime location for Mathieu." That sounds intriguing, though Rapsheet's colleague Mike Garafolo adds the Eagles are only interested at "the right price." Of course, the right price becomes more likely the longer Mathieu languishes on the open market. The 29-year-old visited the Saints earlier this week and is clearly trying to kick his market into its end stage.

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 7, 2022, 4:37 PM ET

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports free agent Kyle Rudolph had a workout with the Broncos.

Rudolph spent 2021 with the Giants and turned in a paltry 26-257-1 season in his lone season in the Big Apple. Set to turn 33 later in the year, the former two-time Pro Bowler is on the back nine of his career, and hasn't surpassed 367 receiving yards since 2018. At this point, Rudolph's remaining years in the league will likely be spent as a backup. There aren't many places he can sign that would offer any kind of fantasy upside.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

, Minnesota Vikings

, New York Giants

Free agent DE Melvin Ingram is visiting the Dolphins on Tuesday. 

Ingram helped save Kansas City's defense down the stretch last year, posting 20 pressures and a sack per Sports Info Solutions charting in six games. He also added two sacks and three quarterback hits in the playoffs. Miami retained Emmanuel Ogbah in free agency, and the combination of Ogbah, second-year EDGE Jaelan Phillips, and Ingram would be quite formidable. 

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 12, 2022, 2:09 PM ET

The Atheltic's Jourdan Rodrigue reports the Rams "have been in contact" with free agent CB Stephon Gilmore.

Rodrigue added that she has "not gotten the sense" that the Rams have had developing conversations with Tyrann Mathieu. She noted that this doesn't rule them out from pursuing Mathieu, but we will assume he isn't headed to LA unless something changes. Gilmore was traded to the Panthers in the middle of the 2021 season and played well after returning from a quad injury that forced him to start the year on the PUP list. He is one of the few high-end free agents still on the market. Given how aggressive the Rams have been this offseason, it wouldn't be a surprise for them to add Gilmore next. The 2019 Defensive Player of the Year would start on the outside, allowing LA to move Jalen Ramsey around the field more freely. 

RELATED: 

Tyrann Mathieu

, Los Angeles Rams

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Apr 12, 2022, 7:45 PM ET

Free agent CB Stephon Gilmore visited the Colts Wednesday.

Even at 31 years old, Gilmore graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 7 cover corner out of 129 qualifiers last season, his first with the Panthers. Returning to Carolina seems to be off the table, but Gilmore is starting to get some more traction on the free-agent market. The Raiders were said to be interested, along with the Eagles, and the Rams have also spoken to him. Gilmore is probably just looking for the right dollars and term.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

Apr 13, 2022, 5:23 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Saints are "expected to re-visit their talks" with free agent S Tyrann Mathieu.

Still unsigned post-draft, Mathieu represents one of the very few difference-making players that have lasted this long into free agency. The Saints have a hole at Malcolm Jenkins' old position that they haven't really filled to this point and didn't touch in the draft. This is a logical fit of team and need. Mathieu has also been linked to the Eagles recently. 

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

May 1, 2022, 1:07 PM ET

Field Yates

@FieldYates

Effective 4 PM ET, any unrestricted free agent that signs with a team no longer counts against the compensatory draft pick formula. This includes the likes of Tyrann Mathieu, Odell Beckham, Jr., Jadeveon Clowney and Duane Brown. Their markets could pick up as a result of it.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport thinks the Packers are "gonna be involved" for Jarvis Landry, Julio Jones, and Odell Beckham Jr. 

"You're not going to get $15 million dollars, you're probably not going to make $10 million dollars ... You know you've got a chance to make the Super Bowl, that actually is attractive," Rapoport added. This feels more like dot connecting than an actual report of interest from Green Bay, but they do seem like a logical landing point for the top free-agent wideouts on the board.

RELATED: 

Jarvis Landry

, Julio Jones

SOURCE: Pat McAfee Show

May 10, 2022, 2:56 PM ET

Bears signed WR Tajae Sharpe, formerly of the Falcons, to a one-year contract.

Sharpe, 27, spent last season in Atlanta where he posted a 25-230-0 line on 37 targets, spanning 15 appearances and seven starts for the talent-deficient Falcons. He hasn't caught a touchdown since 2019. At his best, Sharpe is a fourth wideout who doesn't play special teams. He'll compete for a job in Chicago.
Bears signed WR Dante Pettis, formerly of the Giants, to a one-year contract.

The Bears also inked fellow veteran WR Tajae Sharpe to a one-year deal Wednesday. Pettis, 26, had a productive 27-467-5 line with the 49ers as a second-round rookie in 2018 but then fell into coach Kyle Shanahan's doghouse and never escaped before landing with the Giants in 2020. He went 10-87-1 on 16 targets last season but landed on I.R. with a shoulder issue in November. Pettis has flashed previously and now goes to a Bears team starving for playmakers. It's a good spot for him.

Bears throwing some crap against the wall...

Users who are viewing this thread