What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Outlook for Ravens RBs - Does the arrival of King Henry signal the end of the perpetual RBBC ? (1 Viewer)

If I owned both Rice & Pierce, I'd start Pierce b/c of the rationale above that at least we know he has a role, which appeared to be increasing even pre-Ray injury. IF Balt has a healthy 2nd half lead, I cna't see Ric ebeing on the field much.

Agreed this is the nightmare situation for Rice / Pierce owners. Thought I was being so smart locking up the RB spot on a team.

Gut says Rice should be good to go or BAL would rest him.

Rice is not guaranteed all the GL carries as someone else pointed out.

There is no way to figure this out except crossing your fingers.

Have drafted Rice twice in the past 4 years and he has been a BUST :kicksrock: both years, at least I know there won't be a third LOL

Have drafted Rice twice in the past 4 years and he has been a BUST :kicksrock: both years, at least I know there won't be a third LOL
In what universe did Rice have a bad year in the past 3 seasons? Do you play in a league where you only get points if your RB rushes for 100 yards?

This situation is blowing my mind. At least I didn't start both Rice and Pierce as another poster did, although I was tempted.

As it is, only Rice is screwing up my FF lineups.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what universe did Rice have a bad year in the past 3 seasons? Do you play in a league where you only get points if your RB rushes for 100 yards?
2010, 6 TD's is not what I expect out of the 1.02 pick.........
In 2010 he wasn't even a top 5 pick... the fact that he still finished in the top 5 without getting the goal line carries is beyond impressive.

On-topic:

Started Rice and Pierce today, mistakes were made - my opinion of Joe Flacco has gone unchanged, bottom 25% active QB.

2010, 6 TD's is not what I expect out of the 1.02 pick.........
In my mostly-standard scoring league, he finished 2010 as the #7 RB, about 1.7ppg behind the #2RB, Adrian Peterson. That's about what I would expect and hope for out of my 1.02 pick. Sure, you hope that they finish #1 or #2, but being really disappointed, much less a BUST? No way.

{Tongue in cheek - sort of} Is Rice droppable?

Edit for typo
You're joking obviously, but there is absolutely nothing to be optimistic about with him. It's going to be a huge upset if he ends up NOT being a bust. His schedule the rest of the way is absolutely brutal. It appears the Ravens' honeymoon ended yesterday.

Well regardless of what Rice did 3 years ago, in 2013 we'll be lucky if he is anything more than a RB2 in PPG when it's all said and done. That run offense looks atrocious, Flacco is Flacco & Pierce is going nowhere

Did Cam Cameron somehow sneak onto the Baltimore sidelines and start calling plays again because they look like they did in early 2012. 2nd and short, throw deep on 2nd down and then also on 3rd down, punt, repeat cycle. If in the red zone, make sure to throw a really bad INT in order to score no points. Passes to RB's out of backfield? Screw that, it works too well. Rice zero catches, Pierce - 1.

Did Cam Cameron somehow sneak onto the Baltimore sidelines and start calling plays again because they look like they did in early 2012. 2nd and short, throw deep on 2nd down and then also on 3rd down, punt, repeat cycle. If in the red zone, make sure to throw a really bad INT in order to score no points. Passes to RB's out of backfield? Screw that, it works too well. Rice zero catches, Pierce - 1.
I thought they looked worse

For some odd reason (perhaps 20 million of them) they think the offense should go through Flacco. Hes an average QB that got hot at the right time.

Rotoworld:

Bernard Pierce strained his calf in Sunday's loss to the Bills.
The injury doesn't appear to be serious, but is likely part of the reason Pierce touched the ball just five times against the Bills, and the Ravens completely abandoned the run after halftime. With Ray Rice escaping Sunday's game without further injury, Pierce has fallen back to the low-end FLEX/handcuff pack.

Related: Ray Rice

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

from PFF

Ray Rice has had 60.0% of his carries go for 2 yards or fewer which is fourth-worst in the league.

Right behind him is Bernard Pierce who is at 58.9%, fifth-worst.

This can't hurt I guess

@AdamSchefter: Pending a physical, Jacksonville has agreed in principle to trade OT Eugene Monroe to Baltimore, per league sources.
Need to protect Flacco for the 40+ times he drops back
I know ... how idiotic. :wall:

As an aside, if they stop attempting to force Flacco and give the ball to their best player, RICE, I think this is a great move. In fact, either way this is a great move for their offense because their line has been a real issue, but I don't know if that means they will be any more than a "fair to good" offense once this comes together.

Starting Ray this week feels a lot like when I started Gore last week....I'm expecting a 20+ touches
miami's front 7 is no joke.
I just think Baltimore has to get back to basics. I'm not expecting 150 rushing yards but I wouldnt be shocked with 80, 5 catches and a TD
I agree. The only problem is they should have been doing this for weeks, and for some reason ... they have not been. Irrational IMHO.

Starting Ray this week feels a lot like when I started Gore last week....I'm expecting a 20+ touches
miami's front 7 is no joke.
I just think Baltimore has to get back to basics. I'm not expecting 150 rushing yards but I wouldnt be shocked with 80, 5 catches and a TD
I agree. The only problem is they should have been doing this for weeks, and for some reason ... they have not been. Irrational IMHO.
Something about that Super Bowl made those two teams think they didnt need their RB's because they have elite QB's--They were wrong.

Ravens: We'll involve Rice 'every single way'
Coach John Harbaugh indicated Wednesday the Ravens will commit to reinstalling Ray Rice as a focal point of their offense going forward.
It only makes sense. The Ravens' passing-game makeup is all but devoid of chain-moving possession receivers, so they are dependent upon a steady run game to sustain offense. Look for 20-plus touches out of Rice in Week 5 against the Dolphins, who had a lot of problems with Darren Sproles last week. "We need to get Ray involved in every single way," Harbaugh stated. "Passing game, run game, every single way. It's definitely important for us, we want to do that every week, and obviously we did not do a good job of that on Sunday."

:thumbup:

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/271789/Ravens-We'll-involve-Rice-'every-single-way'?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitterhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254710/article/ray-rice-to-be-involved-in-every-single-way-harbaugh-says?campaign=Twitter_atl

Coach John Harbaugh indicated Wednesday the Ravens will commit to reinstalling Ray Rice as a focal point of their offense going forward.
It only makes sense. The Ravens' passing-game makeup is all but devoid of chain-moving possession receivers, so they are dependent upon a steady run game to sustain offense. Look for 20-plus touches out of Rice in Week 5 against the Dolphins, who had a lot of problems with Darren Sproles last week. "We need to get Ray involved in every single way," Harbaugh stated. "Passing game, run game, every single way. It's definitely important for us, we want to do that every week, and obviously we did not do a good job of that on Sunday."

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/271789/Ravens-We'll-involve-Rice-'every-single-way'?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitterhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254710/article/ray-rice-to-be-involved-in-every-single-way-harbaugh-says?campaign=Twitter_atl
I'll believe it when I see it. Flacco will drop back 40 times @ Miami, Ray stays in to block. Then Pierce comes in at the GL when Torrey Smith gets cased out at the 1 yd line

I'll believe it when I see it. Flacco will drop back 40 times @ Miami, Ray stays in to block. Then Pierce comes in at the GL when Torrey Smith gets cased out at the 1 yd line
No. I'd be inclined to agree with you if it was just some Harbaugh lip-service, but the Ravens trade for Eugene Monroe was the slap in the face this offensive line (and offense in general) needed. Great move by Ozzie Newsome and I think this line run blocks like their lives depend on it this weekend, because now they truly believe it does. We see the "old Ray Rice" for the first time this season on Sunday. Book it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/271789/Ravens-We'll-involve-Rice-'every-single-way'?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254710/article/ray-rice-to-be-involved-in-every-single-way-harbaugh-says?campaign=Twitter_atl
No. I'd be inclined to agree with you if it was just some Harbaugh lip-service, but the Ravens trade for Eugene Monroe was the slap in the face this offensive line (and offense in general) needed. Great move by Ozzie Newsome and I think this line run blocks like their lives depend on it this weekend, because now they truly believe it does. We see the "old Ray Rice" for the first time this season on Sunday. Book it.
My comment was (mostly) tongue-in-cheek, in all honesty. Still, I have to ask, why is t almost universally assumed getting a new LT is for the betterment of the run game in particular? I don't watch enough Ravns action to know, but was MacKinnie also shoddy in his pass pro?

I just tend to marginalized coaches' comments, maybe to my detriment. They almost never come to fruition. Sorry to beat this dead horse, but Flacco isn't gonna get used as a game manager with that contract. I failed on so many levels at draft time, & not considering that angle was a mistake on my part. Ray will be a decent RB2 most weeks, but he is/will be one of the guys who are subject to the annual volatility of top 12 fantasy RBs. There's nothing objective, IMO, to make anyone think otherwise. 2013 is here. Historical production doesn't mean anything

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/271789/Ravens-We'll-involve-Rice-'every-single-way'?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254710/article/ray-rice-to-be-involved-in-every-single-way-harbaugh-says?campaign=Twitter_atl
My comment was (mostly) tongue-in-cheek, in all honesty. Still, I have to ask, why is t almost universally assumed getting a new LT is for the betterment of the run game in particular? I don't watch enough Ravns action to know, but was MacKinnie also shoddy in his pass pro?

I just tend to marginalized coaches' comments, maybe to my detriment. They almost never come to fruition. Sorry to beat this dead horse, but Flacco isn't gonna get used as a game manager with that contract. I failed on so many levels at draft time, & not considering that angle was a mistake on my part. Ray will be a decent RB2 most weeks, but he is/will be one of the guys who are subject to the annual volatility of top 12 fantasy RBs. There's nothing objective, IMO, to make anyone think otherwise. 2013 is here. Historical production doesn't mean anything
And like you tend to marginalize coaches' comments, I'll admit I might be guilty of reading too much into the meta-game influence the trade for Monroe is going to have. I'm putting a lot of stock in the fact that the Ravens offense was put on notice with this trade. Like any of us at our jobs, you THINK you're giving 100%, but co-workers start getting pink slips around you and you find another gear you didn't know you had. One thing we know for a fact is that the Ravens O-line has been getting routinely dominated on running downs through 4 weeks. The holes have not been there.

I agree with you, there's nothing objective to say Rice will be more effective this week. I just have a gut feeling we see a level of "inspiration" across the entire offensive line we hadn't seen yet this year.

I don't think practice is even relevant. And I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ with that reply, just that he's probable on the injury report and doesn't need practice to go Sunday. The fact that he's probable and self-described no setbacks in week 4 pretty much locks him in as a must-play.

I don't think practice is even relevant. And I'm not trying to be a smart### with that reply, just that he's probable on the injury report and doesn't need practice to go Sunday. The fact that he's probable and self-described no setbacks in week 4 pretty much locks him in as a must-play.
I don't think this is universally true. Some coaches/teams put a lot of stock in being able to practice.

Users who are viewing this thread