What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (3 Viewers)

Jim Johnson, Buddy Ryan, and…Jonathan Gannon?

The Eagles have recorded 30+ sacks (33) and 20+ takeaways (21) while allowing less than 20 points per game (18.3) through 10 games for just the third time in team history.

2001 under Jim Johnson (32-20-13.1)

1989 under Buddy Ryan (39-20-19.4).
I think the Gannon hate is starting to border on the Howie hate, 2-3 years ago (or now, depending on what kind of Eagles fan you're talking to, diverse group we are). A lot of people don't like watching it, but the results are the results and the numbers are the numbers. Maybe we just didn't have reliable DT depth after all? Can't have all star backups at every position. We are doing OK at Slot CB, compared to DT and well, TE there just isn't anyone there. For Suh + Linval to come in and play those many snaps on a new team, off the street, with 3-4 days of ramping up and *ALSO* to be as effective as they were speaks on a few things - 1. The DT depth just isn't there. Cox can't play 70 snaps and we just never had a Jordan Davis replacement. We do now. 2. These guys obviously are in GREAT shape, to again, come off the street a play like this. PFF had Linval as the highest graded defender. 3. If these guys can play like this *and* the team can keep healthy, when Davis and Goedert come back, this team is going to be even scarier than they already were.
I agree on this. I absolutely cannot stand Gannon's philosophy/scheme and the lack of aggression from the D. But results are results. The Eagles are ranked 2nd in the NFL in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed. I do think his aversion to giving up the big play makes the D play too soft and allows teams to sustain drives they shouldn't. It is so frustrating watching bad teams convert 3rd down after 3rd down. And I honestly think it will bite them in the butt come playoff time.

Love that Joseph and Suh came in off the couch and played so well Sunday. Big boost when we get Davis back, too. Hopefully, we have some stout run D, and generate pressure up the middle. Goedert can't come back quickly enough.

The Goedert injury hurts, no doubt. But I think the last 2 games have been more about turnovers and penalties than DCs figuring out our offense.

ETA: The Eagles have turned the ball over 6 times the last 2 games - they only had 3 the 8 previous games.
From The Ringer:

The Eagles simply can’t turn the ball over like they have over the last two weeks if they want to stay atop the NFC and secure the first-round bye. In weeks 1-9, Philadelphia led the league in turnover differential with 18 turnovers forced while committing just three turnovers of their own. In their last two games, they’ve turned the ball over six times and rank 31st in turnover differential (-3). Philly’s early-season turnover luck was ridiculous and bound for regression, but the Eagles will lose more games than they should to close out the season if they let it regress rapidly all at once.

DC's are figuring us out and teams are doing what I said on how to beat us. Plus Goedart is a bigger loss to this offense then a lot of people thought.
The Goedert injury hurts, no doubt. But I think the last 2 games have been more about turnovers and penalties than DCs figuring out our offense.

ETA: The Eagles have turned the ball over 6 times the last 2 games - they only had 3 the 8 previous games.

I agree on Turnovers but it also looks like DC's are figuring us out a bit.

Jim Johnson, Buddy Ryan, and…Jonathan Gannon?

The Eagles have recorded 30+ sacks (33) and 20+ takeaways (21) while allowing less than 20 points per game (18.3) through 10 games for just the third time in team history.

2001 under Jim Johnson (32-20-13.1)

1989 under Buddy Ryan (39-20-19.4).
I think the Gannon hate is starting to border on the Howie hate, 2-3 years ago (or now, depending on what kind of Eagles fan you're talking to, diverse group we are). A lot of people don't like watching it, but the results are the results and the numbers are the numbers. Maybe we just didn't have reliable DT depth after all? Can't have all star backups at every position. We are doing OK at Slot CB, compared to DT and well, TE there just isn't anyone there. For Suh + Linval to come in and play those many snaps on a new team, off the street, with 3-4 days of ramping up and *ALSO* to be as effective as they were speaks on a few things - 1. The DT depth just isn't there. Cox can't play 70 snaps and we just never had a Jordan Davis replacement. We do now. 2. These guys obviously are in GREAT shape, to again, come off the street a play like this. PFF had Linval as the highest graded defender. 3. If these guys can play like this *and* the team can keep healthy, when Davis and Goedert come back, this team is going to be even scarier than they already were.
I agree on this. I absolutely cannot stand Gannon's philosophy/scheme and the lack of aggression from the D. But results are results. The Eagles are ranked 2nd in the NFL in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed. I do think his aversion to giving up the big play makes the D play too soft and allows teams to sustain drives they shouldn't. It is so frustrating watching bad teams convert 3rd down after 3rd down. And I honestly think it will bite them in the butt come playoff time.

Love that Joseph and Suh came in off the couch and played so well Sunday. Big boost when we get Davis back, too. Hopefully, we have some stout run D, and generate pressure up the middle. Goedert can't come back quickly enough.

I'd rather them eliminate big plays then giving them up every possession. It is frustrating at times but the pass rush needs to do a better job at times too

EDIT: Apparently they are sold out already. So, the contest is off. Unless they release another pressing. Sorry.

That youtube video of them recording was awesome. I love Kelce, love the vibe of this team. I'll be buying the album, and since it's for charity, I'll run a little in-thread contest.

For the upcoming Green Bay game:
Predict the winner
Predict total points scored

1st tie-breaker:
Predict Green Bay's total rushing yards

2nd tie-breaker:
Predict Jalen Hurts' passing yards

I'll buy the winner a copy of the album

Predict the winner = Eagles
Predict total points scored = 51

1st tie-breaker:
Predict Green Bay's total rushing yards = 128

2nd tie-breaker:
Predict Jalen Hurts' passing yards = 287

For the upcoming Green Bay game:
Predict the winner Eagles
Predict total points scored 41

1st tie-breaker:
Predict Green Bay's total rushing yards 97

2nd tie-breaker:
Predict Jalen Hurts' passing yards 235

I'll buy the winner a copy of the album :heart:

******ATTENTION: the contest is CANCELLED! The album sold out on the first day of sales, and they haven’t talked about doing another pressing (it’s green vinyl, very cool collector’s edition). **************

sorry about that, I edited my original post within 20 minutes of posting after I went to the site to buy one for myself.

******ATTENTION: the contest is CANCELLED! The album sold out on the first day of sales, and they haven’t talked about doing another pressing (it’s green vinyl, very cool collector’s edition). **************

sorry about that, I edited my original post within 20 minutes of posting after I went to the site to buy one for myself.
yeah i wish they had started it earlier to get my pop's as a Christmas present. hopefully they find a way to get out some more before

2 times in NFL history has a QB had 150+ yards rushing, 150 yards passing, and 2+ TDs, both were against the Packers (Hurts tonight, and Kaepernick in 2012 playoffs).

2 times in NFL history has a QB had 150+ yards rushing, 150 yards passing, and 2+ TDs, both were against the Packers (Hurts tonight, and Kaepernick in 2012 playoffs).

This is a good Segway in what I was gonna put in. I got late ticket to the game as a friend from HS has season tickets with his aunt/uncle and they were suppose to go and couldn't. Seats were very close to where I usually sit and sat next to two packers fans who were both from Delco. GB has been historically bad for yrs against running/mobile QBs. I even told them this game reminded me of that Playoff game. GB's run defense though this year is just embarrassingly bad. Not sure why a few times drives that stalled they passed. Last few weeks Hurts has been really erratic on throws. Behind receivers, too high, timing off etc. Tonight was Taylor made for the run game. Shout out to Kielce who now has the most games played by an Eagle offensive lineman in franchise history. Give that man another keg to come back next year. I'll personally deliver to him.

Not sure who it was but the fumble by AJ it seemed like the offense tipped the play. One of Hurts long runs he actually had a WR going toward the packers sideline that if he threw it probably would've resulted in a long TD as there was really no one around him. I'll have to check again when All 22 comes out as that will be one of the plays. We scored a TD though so it didn't matter as much. On another drive in the 2nd half he had one of the TE's open for a TD on the left side. Not sure who it was but it was the pass in the EZ that fell incomplete. Can't remember if that was the drive the Brown TD was on or not.

Jordan Love made a few good throws and looked better then Rodgers. The Drive they kicked the FG he threw a pass into the EZ on the run when he had Allen Lazard shorter streaking down the sideline past his man if he had gone to him gets a TD. At least the most it'd have save another 45 secs to a min if he scored as he had no one near him if he hits him in stride he was gone.

The game was much closer then it should've been. Hopefully we get CJ back next week and Maddox comes back soon. Hurts needs to learn to protect himself more. Yeah its fun seeing your QB bulldoze DBs to the ground but your the most important position on the team Get out of Bounds or Slide. Would like to see him take less hits and try to find the receiver before taking off. Won't play many teams where you can relay on your QB throwing for under 2OO yards and running for 15O every week especially in playoffs. Special Teams coverage needs to get better and the defensive run game is still questionable. Not sure what's going on with AJ fumbling these days. Is he more hurt then he appears to be, not holding onto the ball well? Don't like the PTS we gave up either.

Next week's game vs Tenn Scares the **** out me though. Really good run defense and a great RB in King Henry. Hope is Tannenhill comes down with the flu this week or another illness that just makes him not play and Malik Willis has to start because then we can throw 1O guys in the box and dare them to throw it if we can stop the run there similar to how KC did it. Tannenhill playing becomes more tricky. Tenn is a team I'm glad we won't have to face in the playoffs unless we both make the SB.

The game was much closer then it should've been. Hopefully we get CJ back next week and Maddox comes back soon. Hurts needs to learn to protect himself more. Yeah its fun seeing your QB bulldoze DBs to the ground but your the most important position on the team Get out of Bounds or Slide. Would like to see him take less hits and try to find the receiver before taking off. Won't play many teams where you can relay on your QB throwing for under 2OO yards and running for 15O every week especially in playoffs. Special Teams coverage needs to get better and the defensive run game is still questionable. Not sure what's going on with AJ fumbling these days. Is he more hurt then he appears to be, not holding onto the ball well? Don't like the PTS we gave up either.

Apparently he was very sick and probably shouldn't have been playing based on this.

Apparently he was very sick and probably shouldn't have been playing based on this.

I saw that in his eye in a post-game interview. Was wondering what the heck happened.

No need to overcomplicate things.

The 24-year-old put it succinctly when asked how he rushed for so many yards.

"I ran and they couldn't get me," he said.

Man I love this team. Hoping CJGJ is a bruised rib cartilage scenario, but I fear the worst. Reed Blankenship made Kvon Wallace's career seem trivial in one night. Really can't wait to get a chance to get 'fully healthy" or as close as possible. Need to see Jordan Davis in asap. Fire all special teams other than Jake Elliott.

so Blankenship led the team in tackles last night (i heard). pretty crazy for a safety who only played half the game. really hoping he gets some more playing time

Here's where I'm at right now, as far as my feelings on this season: For a 10-1 team, and the amount of great things our offense and defense have been able to do during those 10 wins, I still don't think we've had a game that you can come away from and say, "No doubt, we are a force in the NFL this season and everyone else is at least a tier below us."

Maybe it's because I have the 2017 season to compare it to, when I had that thought after numerous games 11 games in, and if that hadn't happened I would be more satisfied with this season. Granted, a great team and season that includes a playoff run and even a Super Bowl win doesn't have to look and feel exactly like 2017 did, but I guess the fact that this one doesn't is what won't let me get rid of that "doom and gloom" that's still hiding in the recesses of my mind right now (and that was nowhere to be found from Week 3 on and only appeared for about a week when Wentz got hurt in LA.)

Look at last night. We put up 40 points, torched some team rushing records, held GB to 1 of 7 on 3rd down, had 3 sacks and 2 INTs, and ran 30 more plays than they did, but still didn't have the game put away until the 2nd to last snap, in the last minute of the game. The things that caused that (injuries and the significant drop off of the next man up, offensive fumbles now being a regular thing, special teams being consistently horrible, etc.) are all things that are major issues that usually cost otherwise good football teams in the playoffs.

Maybe Sunday's Titan's game will be the one where everything finally clicks and we're firing on all cylinders to stomp a very good football team and I'll get to that "we're unstoppable" or "team of destiny" head space that I'm not quite in yet.

Btw, I don't know what they wee saying (or showing) on TV but we got bad spots ALL night. The 3rd down (before the 4th down sneak we didn't convert) was at least a half yard behind where the play ended and should have been a 1st down. And we had to run the "double butt push" sneak later in the game to get a 1st we already had but a poor spot took away.

When you have great coaches, you get great players and organization. You tell them one thing, Just Win Baby!" - Al Davis

This is where I'm at. No expectations. Let's ride this sucker out...

With the Eagles' 10th win, it means every coach Jeffrey Lurie has hired reached a double-digit win total within 2 seasons:

Ray Rhodes: 10-6, 10-6
Andy Reid: 5-11, 11-5
Chip Kelly: 10-6, 10-6
Doug Pederson: 7-9, 13-3
Nick Sirianni: 9-8, 10-1

When compared to other owners in the league Lurie is the best we could have asked for.

Yeah I saw reports over the last few days and definitely shouldn't have played. I'm starting to think after Smith Brown and Quiz they don't trust the depth behind them and with Goadert out didn't want to risk it?

With the Steelers win The Eagles have the 6th pick as of now in the draft and their own pick which right now is last in the league.

I know it's a bit off but depending where the Saints pick lands I wouldn't be opposed to moving back in the draft with our own pick if we can acquire a 1st in '24 draft from someone. Especially if Hurts isn't extended yet. It's important to remember since Hurts was a 2nd rounder we don't have the 5th year option. We'd have to franchise tag him for year 5 if we want to keep him.

Just things to keep an eye on and remember though.

Yeah I saw reports over the last few days and definitely shouldn't have played. I'm starting to think after Smith Brown and Quiz they don't trust the depth behind them and with Goadert out didn't want to risk it?
I take the opposite (and more positive) view point and think Brown just wanted to be out there and "sucked it up" so he can play.

CJ Gardner Johnson with a lacerated kidney. ****. Wish him a speedy recovery. This hurts.

Damn. Whats the recovery time on something like that

John Clark tweeted that Ertz lacerated a kidney and played against Seattle in the playoffs 2 weeks later but it was a small cut and a playoff game.
Out indefinitely, not expected to be season ending, and he said "I'll be back".

I'd guess it depends on our record but that he'll for sure be back for playoffs.

EDT: Lattimore was out 7 weeks with same injury. Ertz 2 weeks. They'll find out the severity of it this week to see how many weeks it will be.

CJ Gardner Johnson with a lacerated kidney. ****. Wish him a speedy recovery. This hurts.

Damn. Whats the recovery time on something like that

John Clark tweeted that Ertz lacerated a kidney and played against Seattle in the playoffs 2 weeks later but it was a small cut and a playoff game.
Out indefinitely, not expected to be season ending, and he said "I'll be back".

I'd guess it depends on our record but that he'll for sure be back for playoffs.

EDT: Lattimore was out 7 weeks with same injury. Ertz 2 weeks. They'll find out the severity of it this week to see how many weeks it will be.
Would like a week of NFL football without losing a key player for a few weeks, k thanks.

And, the only other player in NFL history with 150 rushing yards and two passing TDs in the same regular season game:

Walter Payton

161 rushing yards and two TD passes on trick plays in 1983.

We'd have to franchise tag him for year 5 if we want to keep him.

Just things to keep an eye on and remember though.
Does this mean you're starting to come around?

Not at all I don't think Hurts will have a season like this again. I see Prescott and Hurts as similar players. Good Regular season guys who can't carry a team in the playoffs. I'm more so saying the Eagles don't have the luxury a MIA and others do with a QB they drafted in the 1st and having a 5th year option. If Hou came to us during the draft and wanted to say swap first rounders and give up something else to take Hurts I'd take that in a heartbeat. Hurts gets to go home HOU maybe pays him outrageous money and hopes he's that good again. Depending who's there QB wise to draft take that guy let Gardner and him duke it out for the starting spot. I think the team around overall is good enough for the playoffs and contend for that already no matter who's back there.

I know going into the season the team wasn't sold Hurts still. If thats changed since I don't know, but I know they aren't rushing to resign him either and end up with a Wentz situation again. If they feel he's not the guy they'll be drafting his replacement and trading Hurts to no get a Wentz/Hurts situation again. Lurie/Howie and company don't want to go through that again so it'll be a swift transition if he's not the guy in terms of coming and going.

Users who are viewing this thread