What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (1 Viewer)

I stand by my statements above on quarterback philosophy. I want a guy who is a naturally gifted passer as his number one asset over mobility. It doesn’t mean I don’t want my quarterback to be mobile, I just don’t want it to be what got them to the dance because historically they get their **** pushed in in the playoffs.

I don't see how you can watch the first 2 games of the season and call Hurts a "RB playing QB". I also disagree with you on your whole take of needing a dominant D, Massive O-line and bruising RB, with the QB passing no more than 20x per game. That's outdated. BUF and KC are the top teams in the NFL- that's the blueprint every team is chasing now.
Also 2 teams with QBs that are known for their elusive running abilities. Last year Josh Allen ran 122 times for 763 yards. Hurts was 139 for 784. Does anyone dispute Josh Allen can win a SB?

I don’t think anyone considers Mahomes a running quarterback despite his ability to do it. Josh Allen is a freak of nature but pretty much everybody has commented how there’s no way he can survive if he keeps running like he does.

You compared Josh Allen’s rushing stats to Jalen hurts, now compare their passing stats.

Look, I don’t want to turn this into a me bashing Jalen hurts, that is not my intention. I think I’ve made my statement pretty clear and my philosophy clear. If you want to talk about running quarterbacks and their ability to win Super Bowls, start a thread and I’m all in on it.

Oh and Detroit is much improved? They’ve given up the third most yards and the second most points through two weeks.
Yes. Defensively, they have a lot to work on. Their secondary is hot garbage. But their front 7 is improved. They also have put up 35+ 2 weeks in a row. That is much improved.

OK. You brought up Detroit as a barometer to judge Hurts.
I said they sold out on blitzes and pressure on hurts, and he killed them with his legs. Contrast that with how MIN dared him to beat them with his arm, and he did.

"It's like you didn't read anything I wrote." :ROFLMAO:

You compared Josh Allen’s rushing stats to Jalen hurts, now compare their passing stats.
In their first year as full-time starters:

Allen 58.8% completion, 3089 yds, 20 TDs, 6.7 Y/A
Hurts 61.3% completion, 3144 yds, 16 TDs, 7.3 Y/A

ETA: they each had 9 INTs in their first year.

Hurts is in his 2nd year, which is when JA made his big leap. Hurts appears to be making a big improvement. The rest of the season will tell if its enough.

Hurts in his 2nd year, which is when JA made his big leap. Hurts appears to be making a big improvement. The rest of the season will tell if its enough.
Ouch.

Josh Allen will not win a Super Bowl. With that completion percentage now I know why he runs so much. He’s Cam Newton.

Hurts in his 2nd year, which is when JA made his big leap. Hurts appears to be making a big improvement. The rest of the season will tell if its enough.
Ouch.

Josh Allen will not win a Super Bowl. With that completion percentage now I know why he runs so much. He’s Cam Newton.
In his 2nd year, Allen's completion percentage jumped to 69.2%
Two games into his second year, Hurts' completion percentage is at 69.8%

Ouch.

I can confirm that the Bills did not win the 2019 Super Bowl.

Oh and Detroit is much improved? They’ve given up the third most yards and the second most points through two weeks.
Yes. Defensively, they have a lot to work on. Their secondary is hot garbage. But their front 7 is improved. They also have put up 35+ 2 weeks in a row. That is much improved.

I said they sold out on blitzes and pressure on hurts, and he killed them with his legs. Contrast that with how MIN dared him to beat them with his arm, and he did.

"It's like you didn't read anything I wrote." :ROFLMAO:

Ouch.

I can confirm that the Bills did not win the 2019 Super Bowl.

I contend that he will not win one.

I think we all know the running QB's need to eventually be able to beat the blitz with the arm, or they'll be done by 30. I think we all realize what Hurts is doing right now isnt sustainable.
But..
- He has shown so far in two games that he is throwing better. Still running yes, but also throwing better. Is it enough?
He doesn't need to be a finished product in year 3. but this is his second year in the same system, and QB's usually show you who they are then. So we'll get a good idea by the end of the season.

I think we all know the running QB's need to eventually be able to beat the blitz with the arm, or they'll be done by 30. I think we all realize what Hurts is doing right now isnt sustainable.
But..
- He has shown so far in two games that he is throwing better. Still running yes, but also throwing better. Is it enough?
He doesn't need to be a finished product in year 3. but this is his second year in the same system, and QB's usually show you who they are then. So we'll get a good idea by the end of the season.
I would like to see them get rid of the RPOs. The occasional bootleg and QB sneak to pick up short yardage is fine and of course his scrambling ability. But I could do without the designed RPOs.

I know QBs are the most important position in football, but as I said before it's a team game. No QB wins it all on their own. Hell, Eli has two rings! You could argue running QBs don't win Super Bowls because their peak is so short, so less chances to win, where as a traditional pocket QB is effective for much longer in their career. I think most of us are just enjoying the ride for now and hoping for the best. It's what most fans do. That Monday night game was the most fun I had watching this teams since maybe the Super Bowl win. Gonna enjoy it for a bit.

A lot has been said about the Vikings game so won’t repeat much of that, just point out a few things I noticed.

Last year they had Hurts running mostly split or half field reads, with either a route combo on one side only or he decided pre snap which side of the field he’ll work. Seems to have moved past that this year, twice in this game he was able to hit a backside dig (once to Quez, once to Brown) after working through a front side progression. Lot of very tight window throws too, intrigued to see how much of this carries forwards and if the floor for his passing performances has been lifted significantly over last year.

The throw that Goedert dropped might the best I’ve seen from Hurts and those layered throws are the hardest to make. The decision to throw was good and the touch and placement were perfect. His footwork in the pocket seems much more refined and consistent and I think that’s where the improvement in his accuracy is coming from.

Mailata did not have a great game, and it hurts to point this out about my fellow Aussie. Gave up a sack and another couple of pressures. There were also a couple of wide zone runs to the left where the defender set a strong edge against him, which prevented the stretch element of those plays from working.

Lot of single high coverage early on, Gannon was clearly more worried about the run game getting going than being all about Jefferson.

Phenomenal game by Slay, but think he might have been at fault on the long dropped TD play. Looked like QQH where Slay had a Quarter but bit on something underneath, CGJ came over from inside Quarter and just missed the ball.

Josh Sweat had another solid game I thought. He wins the most often of all the rushers and if he maintains that sacks will come. Also consistently makes good plays vs. the run too.

TJ Edwards looks faster. I’m sure he really isn’t, but it means he’s seeing things and anticipating much better.

Now for the next game, IMO we go back to split safety coverages, make Wentz throw underneath, or hold the ball looking for something deep. Layered pass rush and don‘t stop moving. He’ll hold the ball and there will be second effort sack opportunities.

I stand by my statements above on quarterback philosophy. I want a guy who is a naturally gifted passer as his number one asset over mobility. It doesn’t mean I don’t want my quarterback to be mobile, I just don’t want it to be what got them to the dance because historically they get their **** pushed in in the playoffs.
Wasn't Josh Allen exactly this when he came out? A mobile QB who was inacurate, had mechanics that needed fixed? Weren't there signiifcant odubts as to whether he'd ever be a good pocket passer? (Hint; THE ANSWER IS YES). What Allen did have was a good arm, and some thought he could improve the other stuff, and they were p[roven correct.

Here we have Hurts....super mobile, good (not great) arm. Like Allen, hard worker willing to learn. Mechanical flaws someone thought could be fixed. Here in year 3, they appear to be fixed, and the results are showing. He didn't beat Minny with his legs...he beat them with his arm. he WAS pinpoint accurate, and he made good decisions.

Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't, but the narrative has become inaccurate. He's not a RB who can throw. he's a QB who can run

Ouch.

WOW....those were first year Allen numbers...before anyone was sold on him either.

But..
I would like to see them get rid of the RPOs. The occasional bootleg and QB sneak to pick up short yardage is fine and of course his scrambling ability. But I could do without the designed RPOs.
I agree with this. Really don't wanna see more then 1 or 2 of those a game. Use them in important spots, not second and 7 from midfield

But..
I agree with this. Really don't wanna see more then 1 or 2 of those a game. Use them in important spots, not second and 7 from midfield
I don’t think they should give up on those because I feel like they’re strong plays in themselves, but also give more reason for a DC to load the box to stop them which can give us more single high looks with big play opportunities.

Gotta clean up the ineligible downfield though. Maybe the R in RPO could be more wide zone than inside zone might help.

Are you being serious here ?
During the course of the remaining 15 games it may prove to be different, but 2 games in I'll take 2022 Hurts over 2022 Wilson. Wilson has been less accurate and nowhere near the dual threat Hurts is.

I didn't want Wilson anyway. I'd take Hurts right now and twice on Sundays over what Wilson is doing right now plus commitment in terms of investment in trade and Contract. Essentially we'd have had to trade Hurts. Goedart, both 1st probably a 2nd and 3rd and more. I'm not doing that no matter what. So anyone who thinks I clearly hate Hurts this doesn't help them at all there.

Drafting isn't an exact science. You can draft a Josh Rosen or you might get a Josh Allen. If there's a QB they think is the real deal, draft him. QB factory...right?
Absolutely agree, drafting is not an exact science. Which is why the fall back plan of drafting a QB in the first round in 2023 is no guarantee. And I suspect the teams that drafted the 5 in the top of 2021 draft all thought their guy was the real deal too.

Problem is, if you think you're getting Josh Allen and you end up with Josh Rosen, you could be setting your team back several years. If Hurts continues to progress like he's shown these first two games, I'll take my chances with him.

You can do both. Keep Hurts and draft a backup.

They aren't doing that. They already agreed if they draft a QB Hurts has to be traded. They don't want to end in another QB controversy. If they draft a guy HURTS IS GONE. At least that's what I've been told by multiple people at this point. They've learned from the last ordeal.

I’m not saying it can’t be done but I don’t think it’s possible without a dominant defense, behemoths on the offensive line and a strong running game. The quarterback should only have to throw no more than 20 times a game.

Hence why SF got away with Having Kapernick at QB awhile back when they faced Baltimore in the SB. At the same time SF did get pretty lucky that year too. Rodgers carried that team and the defense was putrid. If they were losing that year it was gonna be the Defense that loses it not Rodgers. Their defense was top 2 or so all season SF and they had a great Oline and Run game

Same with Cam similar structure. It's not rocket Science. look at how all these teams with a similar Running QB were successful. However non of these teams won a SB. I Categorize Wilson in tweaner category. Not a Running QB per say but also not a great passer. I would say he's very similar to McNabb.

Hurts is a great guy, good leader, hard worker everything you want in a young guy. Hell this guy is more accountable then Cam Newton ever was who took every positive to throw on himself and then everything that went wrong he'd throw his teammates under the bus and sulk. Hurts actually mentioned something I did in the game thread about not scoring in the 2nd half. He basically said "I and the team left plays out there in the 2nd half and we need to keep our foot on the pedal." He also said he knows there's plays he wanted back out there. Those are really good mature steps for a young QB and teammates see that and will love that. People think I'm rooting for the guy to fail. I'm not. I just don't want to be stuck with a Lamar/DAK type QB. Great in regular season but can't be trusted in playoffs. I've seen QB like Hurts before in the NFL over my yrs and they just never work out well.
The problem with the bolded is that Dak and Lamar are both in the top half of NFL starting QBs and it's not that easy to upgrade. 2021 was supposed to be a loaded QB draft and I'm not sure any of those guys will ever be better than Dak. Even if Hurts ceiling is like the 10th best QB in the league, there is a tremendous amount of risk in trading away Hurts and drafting someone that has as much of a chance of being Mayfiled, Darnold or Zach Wilson as they do of being Burrow or Herbert.
Lawrence (1)
Wilson (2)
Lance (3)
Fields (11)
Jones (15)

To your point, here are 5 QBs taken in the top half of the 2021 QB-friendly draft. Forget Dak, I'm not sure if any of them will ever be better than Hurts, who's only been in the league 1 year longer than them. Yes, the Eagles set themselves up with a plan B if Hurts didn't improve, but plan B isn't a guarantee either.

Now imagine Hurts does earn the right to be the long-term QB - now the Eagles have 2 first round picks they can add to an already strong team. I'd rather see that than starting over with another lottery ticket and a prayer.

hurts is better than all those guys already

After all the offseason chatter about the Eagles and Russell Wilson, I'm not sure if Wilson is even better then Hurts at this point.
Wilson hasn't looked good in two years

I see the similarities. Both college transfers who succeeded in their second stop. Similar skill set. Wilson is probably a better passer but Hurts is better runner.

Both personalities I can’t stand.

As DJax has eluded to- and this his always my thing with RBs playing QB- at some point during a playoff run you’re going to need your quarterback to make a critical pass. Who do you want to make that critical pass, a naturally gifted runner or a naturally gifted passer?

Additionally- running quarterbacks always have a lot of success during the regular season because one, it’s the regular season, and two, defensive coaches generally don’t change their game plan dramatically for one week of regular season, however the playoffs are a different animal. They will specifically design a defense to stop a college-esk offense.

I’m not saying it can’t be done but I don’t think it’s possible without a dominant defense, behemoths on the offensive line and a strong running game. The quarterback should only have to throw no more than 20 times a game.
I agree with your main theme, and I still have my doubts about Hurts but just can't deny the progress he's made so far. Time will tell. But curious what about his personality don't you like? By all accounts he's a great leader and says and does all the right things you want your QB to do. Not sure if it's just anti-Eagle bias (which I get) or something I'm missing.

Zero bias except when we play each other:

Russel - seems like a fake dude. Acts like a choir boy sometimes but then when he married his wife he tries to act ghetto sometimes. Very bizarre.

Hurts - I hear how he’s a great leader and maybe he is, I just don’t like quarterback to dance like teenagers and he always has a very weird smug smirk on his face. Granted, this is coming from a 45-year-old white dude.

ETA - I would say these things if Hurts was on another team outside the division.

I’m the rare Cowboys fan who can be impartial. Super impressed with Slays performance. I think your HC is a extremely good offensive mind. He’s a little weird but I’d take that potential over fat Mike.

I'm similar on Wilson I think he's fake as well. Married his wife and now acts like he's part of the ghetto but at the same time trying to still act like he's part of the professional elite. I just don't like guys like that. My friend works in Hollywood and created the Empire Theme song the R&B show that was airing on Fox. He was in a few roles has met a lot of the fast and furious cast, has done some of his own music work. Collab with meek Mill and was helping on Set of Silver Linings playbook which is now why Robert Dinero is an Eagles fan. Bradley Cooper and my Friend taught him the Eagles fight song btwy.

Either way my point is he tells me a lot of stories how people change when they marry certain people in the lime light. There's a few celebs you wouldn't realize were nice people but now are real assholes just because they are acting differently because of who they married. Hollywood in general is all about faking it. Also recently on a podcast Channing Crowder and some other former NFL Players called out Ciara his wife and said she was only with Wilson for the money and to keep herself relevant. Either way there's a reason I don't follow celebrity lives etc. A lot of them are just so fake. Most are cheating on one another too

All I’m trying to say is, yes Hurts has played better in the 2 games to start this season. Let’s not crown his *** quite yet
Who's crowned his ***?
Cowboys fans, watching highlights from MNF.
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone anoint him the super-elite-franchise-QB-of-the-future. I've only seen people try to completely discount the improvements we've seen in the first 2 games.

There's people out there. I've already seen if on Facebook and Twitter. Also you can't even go on Eagles reddit. Any analysis now who has given constructive criticism and even stuff a lot of us have agreed on are anointed public enemies They act like you called their mother a $5 hooker. Trust me there's people out there and I'm sure those who he thinks are real fans but a lot of those people are either bandwagon fans, the Hurts fans who will defend him no matter what or people who are casual fans. I think most of the diehards are wait and see still not anointing anything.

Hence why SF got away with Having Kapernick at QB awhile back when they faced Baltimore in the SB. At the same time SF did get pretty lucky that year too. Rodgers carried that team and the defense was putrid. If they were losing that year it was gonna be the Defense that loses it not Rodgers. Their defense was top 2 or so all season SF and they had a great Oline and Run game

Same with Cam similar structure. It's not rocket Science. look at how all these teams with a similar Running QB were successful. However non of these teams won a SB. I Categorize Wilson in tweaner category. Not a Running QB per say but also not a great passer. I would say he's very similar to McNabb.
That niners team is EXACTLY the team I was thinking of when I said all that. Their offensive line was dominant.

With a team like that you’re not always going to have success in the first quarter, maybe not the second quarter, but by the third and fourth quarter those defenders are going to be worn the hell down and demoralized and you’re going to gash them for huge yardage.

You’re also not going to have to pay your quarterback $500 million

I don't see how you can watch the first 2 games of the season and call Hurts a "RB playing QB". I also disagree with you on your whole take of needing a dominant D, Massive O-line and bruising RB, with the QB passing no more than 20x per game. That's outdated. BUF and KC are the top teams in the NFL- that's the blueprint every team is chasing now.
Also 2 teams with QBs that are known for their elusive running abilities. Last year Josh Allen ran 122 times for 763 yards. Hurts was 139 for 784. Does anyone dispute Josh Allen can win a SB?
Josh Allen has a hell of an arm. The only issues I saw with Josh Allen were his mechanics and competition in College, Turnovers and clutch performer for those who were looking at stuff. Hurts has had questions on passing and what throws he can make. There were issues and people saying he was holding the Alabama offense back. As well as not being able to Read defense and arm strength. I saw comparisons of Pat White with Hurts. Allen was getting Big Ben Comparisons. And FYI NFLcom compared Hurts to Tim Tebow

Also you need the right coaches and people around these guys. I wouldn't consider Mahomes a running QB. I think he's a passer with mobility to a degree. Theres different Tiers of Passers in the NFL coaches, decision makers and scouts have.

Tier 1 Pocket Passer

AKA Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, etc

Tier 2: Mobile QB

Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Mahomes Justin Herbert

Tier 3 Running QBs

Lamar Jackson, Cam Newton, Malik Davis, Kapernick

Teams aren't looking for running QBs they are looking for guys who can pass but have mobility as well. The problem is some of these egos in the NFL think they can make the Lamar's and CK's of the world a Mobile QB.

That niners team is EXACTLY the team I was thinking of when I said all that. Their offensive line was dominant.

With a team like that you’re not always going to have success in the first quarter, maybe not the second quarter, but by the third and fourth quarter those defenders are going to be worn the hell down and demoralized and you’re going to gash them for huge yardage.

You’re also not going to have to pay your quarterback $500 million

And you don't need too and if they want that money good bye thanks for your time we wish you well in your future endeavors. Problem with SF was they paid CK too much. I think Baltimore is looking at that situation and don't want to get into a similar one with Lamar.

Hurts is a great guy, good leader, hard worker everything you want in a young guy. Hell this guy is more accountable then Cam Newton ever was who took every positive to throw on himself and then everything that went wrong he'd throw his teammates under the bus and sulk. Hurts actually mentioned something I did in the game thread about not scoring in the 2nd half. He basically said "I and the team left plays out there in the 2nd half and we need to keep our foot on the pedal." He also said he knows there's plays he wanted back out there. Those are really good mature steps for a young QB and teammates see that and will love that. People think I'm rooting for the guy to fail. I'm not. I just don't want to be stuck with a Lamar/DAK type QB. Great in regular season but can't be trusted in playoffs. I've seen QB like Hurts before in the NFL over my yrs and they just never work out well.
The problem with the bolded is that Dak and Lamar are both in the top half of NFL starting QBs and it's not that easy to upgrade. 2021 was supposed to be a loaded QB draft and I'm not sure any of those guys will ever be better than Dak. Even if Hurts ceiling is like the 10th best QB in the league, there is a tremendous amount of risk in trading away Hurts and drafting someone that has as much of a chance of being Mayfiled, Darnold or Zach Wilson as they do of being Burrow or Herbert.
Lawrence (1)
Wilson (2)
Lance (3)
Fields (11)
Jones (15)

To your point, here are 5 QBs taken in the top half of the 2021 QB-friendly draft. Forget Dak, I'm not sure if any of them will ever be better than Hurts, who's only been in the league 1 year longer than them. Yes, the Eagles set themselves up with a plan B if Hurts didn't improve, but plan B isn't a guarantee either.

Now imagine Hurts does earn the right to be the long-term QB - now the Eagles have 2 first round picks they can add to an already strong team. I'd rather see that than starting over with another lottery ticket and a prayer.

After all the offseason chatter about the Eagles and Russell Wilson, I'm not sure if Wilson is even better then Hurts at this point.

I see the similarities. Both college transfers who succeeded in their second stop. Similar skill set. Wilson is probably a better passer but Hurts is better runner.

As DJax has eluded to- and this his always my thing with RBs playing QB- at some point during a playoff run you’re going to need your quarterback to make a critical pass. Who do you want to make that critical pass, a naturally gifted runner or a naturally gifted passer?

Additionally- running quarterbacks always have a lot of success during the regular season because one, it’s the regular season, and two, defensive coaches generally don’t change their game plan dramatically for one week of regular season, however the playoffs are a different animal. They will specifically design a defense to stop a college-esk offense.

Hey, fox, these grapes aren't sour, at all. They're ripe and delicious. For a RB, Hurts looks like a heckuva QB, so far.

It’s like you didn’t read anything I wrote. We’re in the regular season, are we not? I certainly don’t care about other men wearing a different color uniform enough to let that effect my opinion of them as players.

RGIII, Cam, Lamar, Cunningham, Kordell Stewart, Vick, Vince Young, the list goes on and on and on.

:shrug: I don’t mind a guy who can run, I just don’t want that to be a significant factor in why they got drafted.
Week 1: Detroit, who is a much improved team, sold out on blitzes and pressure, hoping to neutralize Hurts. Hurts killed them with his legs, but also showed improvement in his mechanics and his willingness to stay in the pocket and read the field.

Week 2: MIN, coming off a shellacking of an NFC favorite in week 1, played a soft shell Defense and dared Hurts to beat them with his arm. He was dominant and picked them apart. He showed improvement in: his reads, his mechanics, and his ability to use the whole field. All of those have been question marks for him, dating back to college.

Is he Tom Brady, all of a sudden? No. Nobody is saying that, even the talking heads that have to get your attention in sports media. Philly fans are hopeful that his ceiling is higher than we thought. We all know it's only Week 3, and weird stuff happens the first 5-6 weeks of the season. Aside from @need2know, :ROFLMAO: nobody is crowning Hurts.

I read everything you wrote. You called him a "RB playing QB". He isn't. He has the ability to make every throw in the game. he threw a lot of dimes on MNF. My big thing with him last year was that the game looked too fast for him. He was a one-read and run QB. He put a lot of time in during the offseason, working with QB coaches on his mechanics, and the game looks like it has slowed down massively for him. I'm not ready to sign him to a huge contract, yet. But I am really, really impressed with his play, so far. And I am excited about the trajectory of the Eagles' season.

Are the Eagles going to face their share of struggles? Yes, undoubtedly. It's a loooong season. Will Defenses key up on Hurts after watching some tape? Absolutely. But the odds of Philly making it to the playoffs is way better than Dallas.

I gave my opinion. You disagree.

As far as your last paragraph, the reason you mention is the exact reason I would do the polar opposite of what Kansas City and Buffalo are doing. Defenses today are built with light in the *** speed guys, so you counter that.

ETA- Kansas City and Buffalo have probably the two best quarterbacks in the league. Kind a hard to replicate that it seems like a fool’s errand.

That’s my philosophy

NFL is a copy cat league. People will copy it till a team gets a defense that can stop it consistently. After that some new type of QB will come in and when they have success everyone will try to replicate that. I think the Eagles showed when hiring Chip Kelly trying to copy the league can fatally do to you.

Lawrence (1)
Wilson (2)
Lance (3)
Fields (11)
Jones (15)

Hey, fox, these grapes aren't sour, at all. They're ripe and delicious. For a RB, Hurts looks like a heckuva QB, so far.

It’s like you didn’t read anything I wrote. We’re in the regular season, are we not? I certainly don’t care about other men wearing a different color uniform enough to let that effect my opinion of them as players.

RGIII, Cam, Lamar, Cunningham, Kordell Stewart, Vick, Vince Young, the list goes on and on and on.

:shrug: I don’t mind a guy who can run, I just don’t want that to be a significant factor in why they got drafted.
Week 1: Detroit, who is a much improved team, sold out on blitzes and pressure, hoping to neutralize Hurts. Hurts killed them with his legs, but also showed improvement in his mechanics and his willingness to stay in the pocket and read the field.

Week 2: MIN, coming off a shellacking of an NFC favorite in week 1, played a soft shell Defense and dared Hurts to beat them with his arm. He was dominant and picked them apart. He showed improvement in: his reads, his mechanics, and his ability to use the whole field. All of those have been question marks for him, dating back to college.

Is he Tom Brady, all of a sudden? No. Nobody is saying that, even the talking heads that have to get your attention in sports media. Philly fans are hopeful that his ceiling is higher than we thought. We all know it's only Week 3, and weird stuff happens the first 5-6 weeks of the season. Aside from @need2know, :ROFLMAO: nobody is crowning Hurts.

I read everything you wrote. You called him a "RB playing QB". He isn't. He has the ability to make every throw in the game. he threw a lot of dimes on MNF. My big thing with him last year was that the game looked too fast for him. He was a one-read and run QB. He put a lot of time in during the offseason, working with QB coaches on his mechanics, and the game looks like it has slowed down massively for him. I'm not ready to sign him to a huge contract, yet. But I am really, really impressed with his play, so far. And I am excited about the trajectory of the Eagles' season.

Are the Eagles going to face their share of struggles? Yes, undoubtedly. It's a loooong season. Will Defenses key up on Hurts after watching some tape? Absolutely. But the odds of Philly making it to the playoffs is way better than Dallas.

I gave my opinion. You disagree.

As far as your last paragraph, the reason you mention is the exact reason I would do the polar opposite of what Kansas City and Buffalo are doing. Defenses today are built with light in the *** speed guys, so you counter that.

ETA- Kansas City and Buffalo have probably the two best quarterbacks in the league. Kind a hard to replicate that it seems like a fool’s errand.

That’s my philosophy
Why can't you replicate it? Dolphins seem to be following along with this philosophy of surrounding your QB with big time talents. Its not a coincidence Allen took off *the same year* the Bills acquired Stephon Diggs where he got 166 targets from Josh Allen. Mahomes and Hill were joined at the hip from day 1 (I'm still in the "Mahomes is #1 above all QB's camps b/c his talents ARE so rare IMO). Now Hurts has his own Diggs in AJ Brown and Boom the offense opens up everywhere else.

Bills also had a pretty dam good defense already. It just took some time to get it around. Allen isn't a running QB he can actually pass pretty well. You're trying to put Allen in a category he's not here. He's a MOBILE QB not A RUNNING QB NOR IS HE A POCKET PASSER. Mobile QBs are those with a talented arm and can legit consistently hurt you as a passer but if they need to they can run or escape the pocket and buy more time to throw. He's not looking to run straight away like a Lamar is and what Hurts has done for most of his career.

This is the thing that really frustrates me those most. Allen and Hurts are not close to similar QBs at all besides both being athletic. Allen is closer to a pocket QB than a Running QB And where Hurts is closer to a Running QB then a Mobile QB. This isn't to say Hurts couldn't become a Mobile QB category guy but right now thats not his game at all. He's doing better with his reads but even going back to the first preseason game he left the pocket early on the late hit when his first read wasn't there not going through the progressions. He hasn't done it as much in the first 2 games so we'll see how he is by mid season and by the years end on that.

Thats not saying much either. Lets see him against some better defenses. The first 2 weeks he's faced less then stellar defenses here.

If they were going to dare him to throw it they wouldn't have played soft coverage. They'd have had guys playing up the line of scrimmage and covering everything from the 1st down marker and down leaving over 1O yards open. Hurts mostly took a lot of underneath stuff. He had 2O of his 31 throws less then 1O yds 11 were over that mark 2 incomplete and also he still isn't throwing a lot over the middle yet. Most of his throws were to the blind side. This isn't me bashing Hurts either this me more so saying you aren't right on him beating them with his arm in the way you mean it to mean if that makes sense.

His throws going deeper in past 1O yards was up compared to 8 of his 32 throws over 1O yards in week 1. I also noticed a more spread out completions on left and right so maybe Nick and company saw something in MINNY defense that had Hurts throwing to his blind side mostly

But..

Its not just beating the blitz with their arm its they also need to read a defense which a lot don't know **** about. They just do what they've always done and try to make the recess/backyard football play and that's not always working in the NFL.

But..

Hurts is good at those. You don't get rid of something a QB is good at. Thats asking for failure. He's also comfortable with them.I would like for him to make better decisions on those like when to keep, hand it off or pass.

Wasn't Josh Allen exactly this when he came out? A mobile QB who was inacurate, had mechanics that needed fixed? Weren't there signiifcant odubts as to whether he'd ever be a good pocket passer? (Hint; THE ANSWER IS YES). What Allen did have was a good arm, and some thought he could improve the other stuff, and they were p[roven correct.

Here we have Hurts....super mobile, good (not great) arm. Like Allen, hard worker willing to learn. Mechanical flaws someone thought could be fixed. Here in year 3, they appear to be fixed, and the results are showing. He didn't beat Minny with his legs...he beat them with his arm. he WAS pinpoint accurate, and he made good decisions.

Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't, but the narrative has become inaccurate. He's not a RB who can throw. he's a QB who can run

Nope scouting reports were pretty different. Hurts had the typical scouting report of most running QBs. I won't go into detail as I posted this already above. Allen had more of the mechanical issues, is he clutch enough, competition too soft, ball protection. Not things you see for a running QB.

Really good article from Tim McManus here on the dynamic of Wentz and Hurts. When Wentz was benched he was in there helping Hurts prepare. One of the things that killed Carson over Hurts was he had a very close nit group of people and didn't always have the same level of friendship with others on the team. Not to say it was bad but thats not always great. After his injuries Wentz lost a lot of the leeway he had on offense in decision making etc. That frustrated Wentz. Imagine taking free will of play calling away from Peyton Tom or Aaron. Wouldn't be pleasant either. From all accounts Wentz was professional to the end. There's also a tidbit in there about Hurts in Alabama with his attitude rubbing some the wrong way. This was more he was a Freshman but acted like a 3 year starting QB when he got there. Nothing Malicious but definitely rubbed people the wrong way. Came in similar with the Eagles but always professional. Found those two things pretty interest.

Overall it's a nice short article for more in depth on the going ons. I already knew a few of things in this article but not everything. Tim also isn't looking to clickbait anyone either. In fact he's called out Jeff McLane's claims over the yrs at least 5 different times in the last 3 or so yrs.

https://www.espn.com/blog/philadelp...s-locker-room-while-supplanting-wentz-in-2020

Josh Allen has a hell of an arm. The only issues I saw with Josh Allen were his mechanics and competition in College, Turnovers and clutch performer for those who were looking at stuff. Hurts has had questions on passing and what throws he can make.
Josh Allen may have the stronger arm and I'm certainly not trying to say they're similar QBs - they're not. I'm mearly doing a side-by-side comparison of their stats, which Hurts matches up favorably if not better.

Allen may have the stronger arm, yet Hurts had a higher yds/att in year one and had a better completion percentage and in 2 games this season Hurts also has the higher yds/att. (9.1 vs. 8.9). In fact, Hurts is leading the entire NFL.

For the game, I can see our defensive line giving, this average O line fits all day. I do hope Gannon dials up some blitzes. Carson has still not fixed his "wiley" pocket presence or lack thereof, or whatever you want to call it - he still fumbles *a lot* and I expect at least 2 turnovers from him. Mixed in w his penchant for playing Hero Ball, it *should* be a good day for defense. What will kill us is a bunch of deep balls and quick strikes as their running game seems weak at best. I hope Gannon plays some 2-deep Safety looks instead of single high to start b/c a lot of those Commodore receivers have good speed.

On offense, more of the same. I will be interested to see how Washington starts out whether its zone or man. Commodore defensive line is much better than Minnesota, so it will be a better test, but man, from what I can tell, the LBs are weeeaaaak. So I expect the middle of the field w slants and Goedert especially to go off this week. I don't really respect much on the secondary as far as their ability to stop the 1-2 of Brown and Devonta. I DO think Jalen may have to win more again with his arm this week, but at the same time, our offensive line should win most times against the WAS front. Thinking the big names are going to be Hurts (duh), AJ Brown and Goedert. Thinking AJ and Sanders at some point get a long TD.

Final Score Prediction: 34-17 maybe a pick 6 or fumble 6, a long offensive TD, 4+ sacks. WAS hits us for a long score themselves also.

Final Score Prediction: 34-17 maybe a pick 6 or fumble 6, a long offensive TD, 4+ sacks. WAS hits us for a long score themselves also.
I would love this but I'm expecting a much closer game. Traveling on a short week to a division opponent. I'm thinking a lower scoring game with some mistakes, 20-17 Eagles. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out flat and fall behind 10-0.

I like your prediction better though.

I do hope Gannon dials up some blitzes. Carson has still not fixed his "wiley" pocket presence or lack thereof, or whatever you want to call it - he still fumbles *a lot* and I expect at least 2 turnovers from him. Mixed in w his penchant for playing Hero Ball, it *should* be a good day for defense.
i hope we blitz on every down. only half joking. that should guarantee at least two pick-6's, no way Wentz isn't thinking about a look-at-me kind of a performance and totally agree he is so skittish with any pressure in his face.

that said, the last injury report seems to list all of our db's, we gonna have anyone on the field to actually cover? Limited participant (Thursday): Graham, Sweat, Reddick, Slay, Maddox

that said, the last injury report seems to list all of our db's, we gonna have anyone on the field to actually cover? Limited participant (Thursday): Graham, Sweat, Reddick, Slay, Maddox
I haven't seen the injury report but could it be as simple as giving some vets extra rest on a short week? Hopefully there isn't much more to it.

I haven't seen the injury report but could it be as simple as giving some vets extra rest on a short week? Hopefully there isn't much more to it.
probably, i looked just to see if Slay had practiced at all this week and that's what I saw. reading through further none of it looks serious.

Listening to the radios and podcasts and such (97.5 for me on the radio is all i can get on IHeart), seems like this is definitely going to be a stadium takeover. Can't wait!

For the game, I can see our defensive line giving, this average O line fits all day. I do hope Gannon dials up some blitzes. Carson has still not fixed his "wiley" pocket presence or lack thereof, or whatever you want to call it - he still fumbles *a lot* and I expect at least 2 turnovers from him. Mixed in w his penchant for playing Hero Ball, it *should* be a good day for defense. What will kill us is a bunch of deep balls and quick strikes as their running game seems weak at best. I hope Gannon plays some 2-deep Safety looks instead of single high to start b/c a lot of those Commodore receivers have good speed.

On offense, more of the same. I will be interested to see how Washington starts out whether its zone or man. Commodore defensive line is much better than Minnesota, so it will be a better test, but man, from what I can tell, the LBs are weeeaaaak. So I expect the middle of the field w slants and Goedert especially to go off this week. I don't really respect much on the secondary as far as their ability to stop the 1-2 of Brown and Devonta. I DO think Jalen may have to win more again with his arm this week, but at the same time, our offensive line should win most times against the WAS front. Thinking the big names are going to be Hurts (duh), AJ Brown and Goedert. Thinking AJ and Sanders at some point get a long TD.

NFC East games are always close. We barely beat them last year and needed a comeback to do it when Heineke was the QB. I don't expect this to be a blowout by any stretch. These games are usually where we're wondering wtf happened as we're down 17 points before we blink.

NFC East games are always close. We barely beat them last year and needed a comeback to do it when Heineke was the QB. I don't expect this to be a blowout by any stretch. These games are usually where we're wondering wtf happened as we're down 17 points before we blink.
Not this year!

This will be a big week for the run game I think. WAS has good DTs but they are very thin due to injuries. They are also missing Young still at DE. I think start out with wide zone and misdirection to get Allen and Payne on the move before coming back to the inside zone & gap runs later in drives and later in the game. If we can catch them with one or both of those two starters subbed out, then don’t huddle the rest of the drive and work their ****ty backups over.

The middle of their back seven is the weakest area so I think this could be a game where Goedert, Quez and Pascall feature more than Brown / Smith.

They show mostly 2 high pre snap but mix in a fair bit of post snap rotation to single high coverage, so the exception to the previous statement is if we can catch them in this with the right play call and good recognition from Hurts, we may get a deep shot or two.

They will mix in a reasonable amount of blitz calls in front of this, so the pickup on that will need to be significantly better than in Week 1 vs. the Lions. Hopefully we got that sorted, and will also have a better response with hots or sight adjustments built in. I don’t believe that “well then run, bro” should be the plan for handling a numbers problem in protection. There will likely be less man coverage than the Lions played, but I have no problem with Hurts taking free money if it’s there and there isn’t a better option to throw to.

One thing I noticed the Vikings D do on passing downs last week was line up in an even front, with the DTs lined up head up or inside shoulder on the OT, with the DEs wider. Shows a huge run lane up the middle, but they close it by looping one of the DEs back inside. Thought that was a nice trick to show something then take it away, so that front & stunt is something we might see to tempt Hurts into a run then shut it down.

The D is WAS‘s weakness, so run the ball and wear them out with ToP. In this one game, I agree with Gannon’s usual approach of prioritising taking away big plays. WAS can’t run the ball, and their interior OL is weak and banged up. Take away the deep shots, force Wentz to work underneath, focus on generating pressure through that weak interior OL and take advantage of the inevitable sack / turnover opportunities Wentz will offer.

Be ready for some screen plays to Gibson / Samuel early on too, WAS will probably use that to try to slow down the inside pressure.

Division games are usually closer than you expect but this one *shouldn’t* be close if the Eagles play smart and execute well. Eagles win 27-20

Last edited:
Josh Allen has a hell of an arm. The only issues I saw with Josh Allen were his mechanics and competition in College, Turnovers and clutch performer for those who were looking at stuff. Hurts has had questions on passing and what throws he can make.
Josh Allen may have the stronger arm and I'm certainly not trying to say they're similar QBs - they're not. I'm mearly doing a side-by-side comparison of their stats, which Hurts matches up favorably if not better.

Allen may have the stronger arm, yet Hurts had a higher yds/att in year one and had a better completion percentage and in 2 games this season Hurts also has the higher yds/att. (9.1 vs. 8.9). In fact, Hurts is leading the entire NFL.

I get it it's just an unfair comparison between 2 totally different style of QBs. That's why I'm annoyed of the Hurts/Allen stuff. Fans aren't the only ones but people in the media as well. It's like comparing Jerome Bettis to Emmit Smith. 2 different types of players there.

Users who are viewing this thread