What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (1 Viewer)

that said, the last injury report seems to list all of our db's, we gonna have anyone on the field to actually cover? Limited participant (Thursday): Graham, Sweat, Reddick, Slay, Maddox
I haven't seen the injury report but could it be as simple as giving some vets extra rest on a short week? Hopefully there isn't much more to it.
probably, i looked just to see if Slay had practiced at all this week and that's what I saw. reading through further none of it looks serious.

Tim McManus said it was a light practice yesterday for many Veterans. Nothing serious

For the game, I can see our defensive line giving, this average O line fits all day. I do hope Gannon dials up some blitzes. Carson has still not fixed his "wiley" pocket presence or lack thereof, or whatever you want to call it - he still fumbles *a lot* and I expect at least 2 turnovers from him. Mixed in w his penchant for playing Hero Ball, it *should* be a good day for defense. What will kill us is a bunch of deep balls and quick strikes as their running game seems weak at best. I hope Gannon plays some 2-deep Safety looks instead of single high to start b/c a lot of those Commodore receivers have good speed.

On offense, more of the same. I will be interested to see how Washington starts out whether its zone or man. Commodore defensive line is much better than Minnesota, so it will be a better test, but man, from what I can tell, the LBs are weeeaaaak. So I expect the middle of the field w slants and Goedert especially to go off this week. I don't really respect much on the secondary as far as their ability to stop the 1-2 of Brown and Devonta. I DO think Jalen may have to win more again with his arm this week, but at the same time, our offensive line should win most times against the WAS front. Thinking the big names are going to be Hurts (duh), AJ Brown and Goedert. Thinking AJ and Sanders at some point get a long TD.

Final Score Prediction: 34-17 maybe a pick 6 or fumble 6, a long offensive TD, 4+ sacks. WAS hits us for a long score themselves also.
NFC East games are always close. We barely beat them last year and needed a comeback to do it when Heineke was the QB. I don't expect this to be a blowout by any stretch. These games are usually where we're wondering wtf happened as we're down 17 points before we blink.

We had to comeback during the Covid game I don't think Heinike played that. It was that QB who use to play in DAL a bit and played at Northern Colorado or something.

For me this is the game that will show me if this team has the potential for something special this season or if it's just another up and down mediocre-fest like the last four years. If they can take care of business, be in control most the game and win, even if the score is close, I'll be a believer. Especially when this could be a major let down game for them after the big MNF win. But if they let Wentz make some plays and never force him into mistakes and the offense looks inconsistent with questionable play calls, then blah regardless of the outcome.

For me this is the game that will show me if this team has the potential for something special this season or if it's just another up and down mediocre-fest like the last four years. If they can take care of business, be in control most the game and win, even if the score is close, I'll be a believer. Especially when this could be a major let down game for them after the big MNF win. But if they let Wentz make some plays and never force him into mistakes and the offense looks inconsistent with questionable play calls, then blah regardless of the outcome.
It's only halftime, but this team is giving me the warm and fuzzies. As bad as the NFC is, this could be one of those special seasons.

Great win. But…

Can we maybe score some points in the 1st, 3rd or 4th quarters this season?

Special Teams is going to be our Achilles’ Heel. Punt and Kickoff return teams can do anything positives, coverages are weak, and why is our punt coverage team always allowing the punts to bounce and roll for additional yards??? Happened twice today and at least one other time in the prior games. There’s no risk to touch it, down the damn ball! That’s on the coaching.

Last edited:
Really good road win.
2 things though.

1 We need to run the ball better than that
2 They need to figure out why the offense disappears in the second half.....
I think they've disappeared because they've had big leads with the defense playing well, so using a lot of clock took front stage. Couple that scenario where we also gave up a bunch of short yardage underneath stuff to the Commandos, which let them also eat up clock....
There was one drive we tried to air out with 3 incomplete passes, and you're gonna have bad drives like that.

Honestly Carson's pocket presence is horrible. Yea there was pressure, but many of those sacks were on him. Read the pressure, move in the pocket, get rid of the ball - this was what we all were frustrated with him when he was here, and he has gotten worse.

That discussion about the best Eagles WR tandem - I wasn't sold then, but I think I am now. AJ Brown and Smith is the best WR tandem the Eagles have had. (Technically I guess Quick and Carmichael played together, but that was Carmichael's last season I think and he was done at that point)

That discussion about the best Eagles WR tandem - I wasn't sold then, but I think I am now. AJ Brown and Smith is the best WR tandem the Eagles have had. (Technically I guess Quick and Carmichael played together, but that was Carmichael's last season I think and he was done at that point)

That was smith's best game as a pro. And he basically got all those numbers in one half. What a stud

Yes, we are off to a great start against teams we should beat. There are also lots to clean up but getting early wins while your team improves is $$$$$.

Fly Eagles Fly
E A G L E S EAGLES!!!

so.. the way things are looking the contract for Jalen will only get more and more expensive. do they start discussing the next contract with Jalen during this season? and i get it is still early, but similar to signing Mailata they could save money signing him earlier

so.. the way things are looking the contract for Jalen will only get more and more expensive. do they start discussing the next contract with Jalen during this season? and i get it is still early, but similar to signing Mailata they could save money signing him earlier
During today's broadcast, they said the Eagles can't extend him before the end of the season. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what I heard. Maybe because he's still on his rookie contract?

During today's broadcast, they said the Eagles can't extend him before the end of the season. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what I heard. Maybe because he's still on his rookie contract?
Yes, unless it changed there's some rule where you can't extend from the rookie contract until the last year or 2 of the deal? Too lazy to look up details, but remember that being a thing. No clue when Hurts' current deal ends. Again, lazy.

also looking at the past 5-7 years, every time the Eagles look like they are competitive, Howie pulls a trade to upgrade. Golden Tate may have been the flashiest, but i have to think the chances are better then .500 Howie makes some kind of trade. fun to think who and what they would want to add. a flashy special teamer or a power RB seem to be kind of the only things the team needs

also looking at the past 5-7 years, every time the Eagles look like they are competitive, Howie pulls a trade to upgrade. Golden Tate may have been the flashiest, but i have to think the chances are better then .500 Howie makes some kind of trade. fun to think who and what they would want to add. a flashy special teamer or a power RB seem to be kind of the only things the team needs
Trey Sermon call up from the PS?

Best team in the NFC!

Great job getting the train back on track

-Please no disrespect but so happy Doug Pederson is mentoring the Jags. I hope you all don't wish him ill will, I'm happy both teams are tasting success right now.
Definitely no ill will, hope he sees the same success he saw here bringing home a SB! Birds are looking great out of the gate, Wentz fell back to Earth hard this week.

Best team in the NFC!

-Please no disrespect but so happy Doug Pederson is mentoring the Jags. I hope you all don't wish him ill will, I'm happy both teams are tasting success right now.
nope, still got a lot of love for Doug, and real happy for him in that situation. seemed like a great fit for him and his coaching style. Vanilla ice cram for everybody!!

Started out slow but a good first Half. Defense played well. most of the game. I wonder if anyone is still bitching we should've taken Parsons over Devonta after today? It's nice seeing the QB THROW SOME TDS instead of run them all in. It's also nice when a QB has receivers to throw too instead of trash cans and guys who will rat out you and others on the team for personal gain.

However it's not all roses and sunshine.

Still haven't scored in the 2nd half in 2 games now after a great 1st half. Can't do that against GB or if we get into the playoffs. Defense picked up the offense in the 2nd half again.

5 of 15 on 3rd down isn't great. We won with chunk plays today but need to clean up 3rd down.

Didn't like the non aggressiveness. After last weeks games I'd hope Nick and company want to put 4O something up. This isn't little league with sportsmanship keep your foot on the dam throat till the final minutes of the game. There were a key opportunities and better team could've and would've executed on again.

Shortyardage play calling needs to get better. Why is Baby Yoda getting handoffs in our EZ? You either sneak it out, run an RPO or you get a dam power back which we desperately need. WTF are we giving a sweep to Zach Paschal on a 4th down play? Watkins or Smith makes sense hell even AJ Makes sense there. Can we bring in a power back please Howie?

Special Teams needs to get better. I like Covey but I don't know if he's as great as he was advertised. He did play in a pretty weak conference. Just doesn't seem they value the return game much and the Special teams coverage since Fipp left has been questionable at best.

This is the easy part of the schedule and it gets tougher starting with ARZ in 2 weeks and then DAL before our BYE. Also that HOU game isn't looking as easy as it was a few months ago when the schedule was released. Want to see continued momentum here. Consistency is key.

Last edited:
Honestly Carson's pocket presence is horrible. Yea there was pressure, but many of those sacks were on him. Read the pressure, move in the pocket, get rid of the ball - this was what we all were frustrated with him when he was here, and he has gotten worse.

I think it's a mental thing with him at this point. He's playing scared. I and others aren't privy to any of this info but he'd really benefit from a sports physiologist at this point and nothing wrong with that. After the ACL he looked timid but then after the cheap shot concussion. A few of those plays he was sacked on back when he first started here, he was easily espcaping with his Houdini like escapability and making a play. I really think it's all mental at this point. It also doesn't benefit your QB when you call 7 step drops. You beat the blitz with quick throws, screens and runs. Doug and Andy were constantly at fault on this numerious times over he years. No surprise a Rivera coached team is too. Not saying it's the teams fault just that in this situation it's doing more to not help then help the QB out.

If they plan to keep him another year I wait. Maybe you find a way to accumulate another 1st again just in case. Like I said the other day I don't want to be stuck in a situation where we sign Hurts long term because of one season and then find out that was going to be his best season ever and he's just a top 15-2O QB the rest of the time. Contract would be expensive but most are at this point. Thats why you need to draft well so you don't have to go dip into FA often and overpay to fill holes. Hurts biggest issue his career is consistency. I'm still on the fence because I've seen him have hot starts like this for a few weeks and then he just goes south. Consistency is key here. I still think it's too early to talk contract. If they want to start having those discussions in the offseason and then get something done say Midseason next year then cool. But you don't start this season. Any good GM would start after the season to have another year of proper evaluation.

Can't start talks until the final year of ones rookie deal starts. Jalen Hurts has 2 yrs on his contract counting this year. He has this ad next year for the time being

. Hurts biggest issue his career is consistency.
While true - this is also the first year since high school he's had the same system 2 years in a row, no? Seems like thats the kinda thing to hurt a young QB's consistency. So I am very hopeful this is the case. I dont think there's any question he's seeing the field better and throwing better passes around. Obviously not a completed product - but I'm pleased.

I think it's a mental thing with him at this point. He's playing scared. I and others aren't privy to any of this info but he'd really benefit from a sports physiologist at this point and nothing wrong with that. After the ACL he looked timid but then after the cheap shot concussion. A few of those plays he was sacked on back when he first started here, he was easily espcaping with his Houdini like escapability and making a play. I really think it's all mental at this point. It also doesn't benefit your QB when you call 7 step drops. You beat the blitz with quick throws, screens and runs. Doug and Andy were constantly at fault on this numerious times over he years. No surprise a Rivera coached team is too. Not saying it's the teams fault just that in this situation it's doing more to not help then help the QB out.
For sure. There were quite a few plays it seemed like all he needed to do was step up in the pocket and get rid of it, but he literally was flinching before anyone got to him.

Still haven't scored in the 2nd half in 2 games now after a great 1st half. Can't do that against GB or if we get into the playoffs. Defense picked up the offense in the 2nd half again.

This is the easy part of the schedule and it gets tougher starting with ARZ in 2 weeks and then DAL before our BYE. Also that HOU game isn't looking as easy as it was a few months ago when the schedule was released. Want to see continued momentum here. Consistency is key.

maybe i'm off with this one, but i am not concerned by Green Bay in the least bit. i am not even sure they can make the playoffs (both Minny and Detroit may be better this year). with the way Tampa Bay is looking, i'm getting the feeling that anything but NFC championship will be considered a letdown

Rams don't scare me either. AFC is a whole other conversation, but i struggle to see in the NFC is much better, if this team we are watching now is the team we see for the rest of the year

Best team in the NFC!

I loved Doug initial but he ran a sloppy shop here after the SB. Coaches did whatever they wanted and Doug's decision making on some things was questionable especially being too loyal to certain coaches who should've been let go. My Coworker's son was Dino Vasso who is now the Texans DB coach and was DC assistant here. Schwartz after the SB got really lazy but Schwartz was also a my way or the highway coach. Didn't seem to take kindly to anyone with different opinion. When Corey Udlin was here he asked JS to tone down t defense when the team went thought their DB crisis when The Eagles lost to NO in the Playoffs season. JS refused. Udlin and Vasso basically stayed extra after practices with the DBs along with Jenkins and McLeod to teach the newer guys the terminology and all. There were also other issues and Corey Udlin left after a falling out.

His whole Health issues retiring was a Urban Meyer ploy. Dino and other coaches the last year caught him sleeping in his office and not really coaching. Dino coached the defense the final year of Pederson being here essentially never got any credit once from Doug. Doug literally let certain coaches do what they want and didn't put out fires. It'swhy Howie Roseman and Jeffrey Lurie got involved with decisions like coaching changes.

Overall Doug isn't a terrible guy. I appreciate what he did here and I hope a year off from the game he's learned a lot. I think he was just still too green to be a HC and get that success so fast. The Eagles were never meant to win the SB in 17. Chip Kelly left them a total **** show of a roster and numerious holes. Credit to Howie and company fixing numerious holes and pulling off high way robbery. Some fans can't admit or give certain guys credit now for that year but like it or not those guys contributed to them being in that position.

Doug also let Reich and DeFlippo work with Foles during the 1st bye to get what he was comfortable with. Numerious people in the know reaction to me after winning the SB was without that bye we were ****ed. No way they'd have gotten Foles as ready as he was for that run. Fans and media forget after Foles took over for Carson that year Foles didn't play great and the media and fan negadelphian was coming out with the 1 and done comments, fake team, no chance etc.

I mean when you win a SB you need some luck and breaks. I think just overall a lot of people including the staff went around acting like their **** didn't stink after that. I got no ill will to Carson obviously or Doug. I wish them both success. At the end of the day the ending here was just a crappy situation for all. It was that dysfunctional marriage where both parties knew it was over and still tried to hope to fix it. It just wasn't repairable. I've always had a soft spot for the Jags and usually root for their success in the playoffs when there. They always seem to have a few of my Florida guys too. Only time I wish them non success is facing the Eagles and Andy's Chiefs.

maybe i'm off with this one, but i am not concerned by Green Bay in the least bit. i am not even sure they can make the playoffs (both Minny and Detroit may be better this year). with the way Tampa Bay is looking, i'm getting the feeling that anything but NFC championship will be considered a letdown

Rams don't scare me either. AFC is a whole other conversation, but i struggle to see in the NFC is much better, if this team we are watching now is the team we see for the rest of the year

I'm not thinking anything different as we're 3 games into the season. A lot can change. I remember people writing LAR off at the start of the year too last year. Rams still have a stout defense and TB does too not much has changed there. The only good thing about GB is we're home and not away and Rodgers has had our number for yrs. I don't doubt GB till Rodgers is no longer there. Right now the NFC looks ugly but a lot can change in 15 more weeks. Like I said the HOU game right now isn't looking as easy as it once did. I think DET improved but no where close they need to be. Minny is a very AVG team at best. Cousins holds them back big time. I'm not too worried about DAL but they are a division game and they are always tough.

Honestly this team is still building on pieces. I'm just hoping for a Playoff win. Anything else right now is house money for me.

Sounds like our RB playing QB called the play on the TD to Devonte and it wasn’t even in this week’s gameplan. :coffee:

Thats what a QB should be doing. Lets not get snippy with stuff and making pot shots now over something A QB IN THE NFL SHOULD BE DOING. Good for him. It's showing improvement.

GB also did not score in 2nd half, and they were in a close game. I'd be more concerned about it if it was a close game...Going into halftime with a 24 point lead changes how the game flow goes.
The six 2nd half drives:
1) Sack killed it, leaving a 3rd and long
2) a bunch of running plays, one completed pass that picked up a first down. Used clock.
3) An odd 3 and out with 3 incompletes. This one was bad.
4) The one play safety
5) Again just a bunch of running plays. Used more clock.
6) Got the first to end the game.

The 3rd drive was strange, but it happens. I think Hurts was 2 for 3 in the first 2 drives of the second half, but they were trying to run the ball and couldn't. Then they tried to air it out the 3rd drive and didn't work. After that the game was basically over and they were just running and using clock.

IMO - the main issue with these 2nd half offenses is they need to be able to run the ball better. You go into the 2nd half with a 24 point lead - you're gonna run the ball and limit the possessions each team has.

I'd be more concerned if these games were close and the defense had to bail them out to hold on for a win. But that's not what they were. The games were non-competitive in the 2nd half when they really need to control the clock and not do anything stupid. Neither game was ever in doubt.

The running game was not very good today. Fortunately Hurts' arm was.

@modogg also my other concern with early contract talk is exactly what I discussed of a tale of two different half's of a season for QBs. Seen this dog and poney show with Vick where he looked amazing that first half of I want to say 2O12 season the year of the Jackson PR TD in NYC. 1st half of the season he put madden like numbers up. Second half the season his numbers were pedestrian, double amount of sacks and turning the ball over and terrible passing numbers across the board. That comeback vs the Giants may have been his only goo win.

Also I mentioned when CK was benched the Cam Newton and Carolin playing Den in the SB and Cam not pouncing on the ball. First half Numbers can be deceptive of the year the link is their stats compared. At this time when CK was benched he'd played 1 more game. Cam's Panthers were undefeated where CK's team was 2-6. What was the difference why is CK getting benched but people were talking how great Cam was? He had a top 3 defense that made up for a ton of mistakes. Without that defense and running game Panthers have multiple loses. After this Cam put up Video game numbers the 2nd Half his numbers for that year looked really great. Vick similar but reversed. Cam's team went to the SB but were brought down to reality that game.

So thats another big reason I want to take a wait and see approach with a similar QB here. As the season goes on teams adjust more. Lets see if Hurts and Sirianni do as well in their favor. I just don't want to be stuck long term with a guy who's great regular season but when we get to the playoffs becomes invisible man.

I'd be more concerned if these games were close and the defense had to bail them out to hold on for a win. But that's not what they were. The games were non-competitive in the 2nd half when they really need to control the clock and not do anything stupid. Neither game was ever in doubt.

The running game was not very good today. Fortunately Hurts' arm was.

At the same time in both games there was momentum changing plays the opponents offense didn't capitalize on or shot themselves in the foot. IRV Smith drop wide-open, blocked FG and INT all could've changed the game if Minny executed.

Today WAS had numerious chances in the RZ or opportunities, stop on 4th down etc. You play aggressive football till the end don't allow a team a hope to come back because a game can change in minutes. Cant played scared like the Eagles too the point they are running vanilla offense. Just means you take less chances on low % plays like the deep balls and such.

Better teams won't mess up on those opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread