What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (1 Viewer)

I'd be more concerned if these games were close and the defense had to bail them out to hold on for a win. But that's not what they were. The games were non-competitive in the 2nd half when they really need to control the clock and not do anything stupid. Neither game was ever in doubt.

The running game was not very good today. Fortunately Hurts' arm was.

At the same time in both games there was momentum changing plays the opponents offense didn't capitalize on or shot themselves in the foot. IRV Smith drop wide-open, blocked FG and INT all could've changed the game if Minny executed.

Today WAS had numerious chances in the RZ or opportunities, stop on 4th down etc. You play aggressive football till the end don't allow a team a hope to come back because a game can change in minutes. Cant played scared like the Eagles too the point they are running vanilla offense. Just means you take less chances on low % plays like the deep balls and such.

Better teams won't mess up on those opportunities.
And both the coach and the QB said as much. However neither game was ever in doubt. If/when they give up a big lead, I'll be concerned. This is not something unique to the Eagles either.

Funny thing here is I was less impressed by Hurts this week as compared to last week.

Not saying he was bad, or even average...he wasn't. He made GOOD decisions with the ball. He played like a pro bowl caliber QB. His accuracy wasn't as good in this game. Even the best have games where their passes are just a little bit off though, and when the decisions are solid and they're seeing the field well a decent WR crew will bail them out. That's as it should be. It's picking a nit I know but hoping it was a glitch and last weeks accuracy is more the norm going forward. Its the difference between a pro bowler and an MVP though, so still VERY VERY happy with what I'm seeing overall

Best team in the NFC!

Great job getting the train back on track

-Please no disrespect but so happy Doug Pederson is mentoring the Jags. I hope you all don't wish him ill will, I'm happy both teams are tasting success right now.
Not for a second, I want Doug to do well, ever week except the next one. Gotta admit I'm following the Jags a bit in the AFC. I actually think there's more danger in a Doug revenge game than the Carson revenge game.

Best team in the NFC!

-Please no disrespect but so happy Doug Pederson is mentoring the Jags. I hope you all don't wish him ill will, I'm happy both teams are tasting success right now.

I loved Doug initial but he ran a sloppy shop here after the SB. Coaches did whatever they wanted and Doug's decision making on some things was questionable especially being too loyal to certain coaches who should've been let go.

I have a different view on this than I used to. I blamed coaching for the way Carson regressed, particularly Press Taylor. Seeing how Carson has played after leaving Philly, I don't think that's the case anymore. Doug made some mistakes, staying loyal to veteran players too long like Alshon but I don't believe that his assistants (Groh, Taylor) were the problem anymore. Carson just became uncoachable. I think management forcing coaches like Scangarello on him was a huge mistake on their part.

Given that, I think even less that Doug deserved to be fired, but we are where we are and I'm pretty happy with it. :)

I actually think there's more danger in a Doug revenge game than the Carson revenge game.
Ya we opened at -6.5 and lots of people putting money on Jax.

Typical trap game so I really hope coach has them prepared.

Jags flying Florida to California to Florida to Philly all within one week will hopefully be a bit of an issue.

Best team in the NFC!

Not for a second, I want Doug to do well, ever week except the next one. Gotta admit I'm following the Jags a bit in the AFC. I actually think there's more danger in a Doug revenge game than the Carson revenge game.
Very much so. Doug is a talented coach and Jags have a good roster. This is probably the toughest game we'll have this season so far. Thankfully I think we're through our "preseason" portion now. Everyone has some game reps now. We're season ready. Hopefully the home crowd plus the Offense and defense clicking will be enough to beat an up and coming Jags team.

Eagles 24
Jags 20

Best team in the NFC!

I loved Doug initial but he ran a sloppy shop here after the SB. Coaches did whatever they wanted and Doug's decision making on some things was questionable especially being too loyal to certain coaches who should've been let go.

I have a different view on this than I used to. I blamed coaching for the way Carson regressed, particularly Press Taylor. Seeing how Carson has played after leaving Philly, I don't think that's the case anymore. Doug made some mistakes, staying loyal to veteran players too long like Alshon but I don't believe that his assistants (Groh, Taylor) were the problem anymore. Carson just became uncoachable. I think management forcing coaches like Scangarello on him was a huge mistake on their part.

Given that, I think even less that Doug deserved to be fired, but we are where we are and I'm pretty happy with it. :)
Ended up best for both parties. Doug and the Eagles that is. Not really working out for Carson.

Best team in the NFC!

Yea... That team loves Doug (unsurprising), so they are going to be fire up to win this one special for him.

Ironic thing, if Wentz had handled himself differently he'd have every bit the love in this city that Doug has. No doubt in my mind Doug will get a standing O when he comes on the field at first. Wentz just... well, he told us with his Audience of One (himself) schtick. He's his own audience, and that's all that matters.

Teams that would be in the market for a first round QB next year:
- Houston
- Seattle
- Atlanta
- New Orleans
- Giants (probably)
- Detroit (probably)
- Washington (maybe)
- Ind (maybe)
- Tampa (maybe)

I think even with our two first round pick - there is very little chance we could get a QB without trading multiple future picks as well. Hurts looking good and keeping this up is by far a best case scenario.

- Houston
- Seattle
- Atlanta
- New Orleans
- Giants (probably)
- Detroit (probably)
- Washington (maybe)
- Ind (maybe)
- Tampa (maybe)

I think even with our two first round pick - there is very little chance we could get a QB without trading multiple future picks as well. Hurts looking good and keeping this up is by far a best case scenario.
will be great if that Saints pick stays close to where it is. Howie can trade it and get some more 1st round capital for the future years.

Team is winning games and man, we are not having to stress about them! Other than the Lions (but they never tied or took the lead after we went up on them). I get the 2nd half, 4th Q questions, but seems to me they are *not* calling the same style of plays at all. To a degree, I think its lazy when they go "bomb Bomb, run for 3, punt" but hey, 3-0 is 3-0. Carson was who we all know him to be, and furthermore, looks to be the main reason why everything fell apart when he was here (if there are any Djax clones out there that still believe in him), the dude has been coached up as far as he can be. He is who he is, we knew it, the line certainly knew it, and well, 9 sacks and 4 1st quarter sacks speaks for itself. Its nice that the "who are you gonna cover" mantra came to light with the big trio of Goedert, Brown and Devonta all getting the 3 PASSING touchdowns from Jalen. Speaking of Devonta, I mean, JFC dude this guy is incredible with the hands and out of bounds markers. Career day from him. Speaking of Hurts, back to back 300 yards passing games (and I swear to god people are picking apart his COMPLETIONS as I type this, but haters gonna hate right). This guy HAS DEVELOPED. Has he arrived? I'm not sure the finished product has, but the name, the team and the offense have certainly arrived. This team is fun. Jacksonville and Doug next on the reunion tour!

- Houston
- Seattle
- Atlanta
- New Orleans
- Giants (probably)
- Detroit (probably)
- Washington (maybe)
- Ind (maybe)
- Tampa (maybe)

i think we trade one of these picks for sure. but who cares about the off season right now. we are riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels right now

Funny thing here is I was less impressed by Hurts this week as compared to last week.

Not saying he was bad, or even average...he wasn't. He made GOOD decisions with the ball. He played like a pro bowl caliber QB. His accuracy wasn't as good in this game. Even the best have games where their passes are just a little bit off though, and when the decisions are solid and they're seeing the field well a decent WR crew will bail them out. That's as it should be. It's picking a nit I know but hoping it was a glitch and last weeks accuracy is more the norm going forward. Its the difference between a pro bowler and an MVP though, so still VERY VERY happy with what I'm seeing overall
agree with this completely and i stayed out of the board yesterday because i thought i was nit picking as well. his decision was great and the ball went where it needed to go, but he was late on more than a few. timed routes where if the ball got there about a second sooner it's an amazing looking completion, just late enough for the defender to react to the receiver and knock it away. i think this is very much something he can improve upon as the season progresses. He's impressed me a ton so far.

the second half performances across the board I assume is obviously game planning to not give anything more away than they have to. this season is going as well as i had hoped so far.

and this defense! okay, it was Carson, but still. I thought the speed was evident in the first game vs detroit too, just didn't quite come together in that one.

Best team in the NFC!

I'm just going by what I was told by people who were there on a daily bases and their part. I think we can both be right here. It was just a total mess in general.

- Houston
- Seattle
- Atlanta
- New Orleans
- Giants (probably)
- Detroit (probably)
- Washington (maybe)
- Ind (maybe)
- Tampa (maybe)

will be great if that Saints pick stays close to where it is. Howie can trade it and get some more 1st round capital for the future years.

I think it'll be interesting either way. Remember how I talked about any Hurts contract will be expensive no matter what? If they decide to keep them they'll need to have cheap players on deals who can play. This is where drafting comes into play. You can use that 1st to have a QB needy team or something trade for the pick. Acquire a ton of future picks early and keep building. It's like the person who hoards draft picks in Madden. Hope you hit on guys. Go into FA to fill holes.

Or

If you still aren't sold on the QB you can use both 1st possible and trade up if need be depending on the pick and who you want. If the guy you wanted falls into your lap without a trade even better. Trade back with the other 1st and accumulate more picks or get a 2nd 1st rounder.

The Eagles I think are in a win win situation right here.

So I think we are going to be the only undefeated team in the league on Friday morning.

@The Noid , have we ever been the only undefeated team in the NFL? (You seem to find all the stats :P )

So I think we are going to be the only undefeated team in the league on Friday morning.
I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the Bengals on any given day.

Bengals still haven't fixed their Offensive Line. Burrow might now last a decade in this league if they don't fix it or he'll just say screw it and sign elsewhere. I thought they'd at least beat DAL but the DAL pass rush and Cincy Line woes were just the difference.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the Bengals on any given day.

Bengals still haven't fixed their Offensive Line. Burrow might now last a decade in this league if they don't fix it or he'll just say screw it and sign elsewhere. I thought they'd at least beat DAL but the DAL pass rush and Cincy Line woes were just the difference.
Ben Solak wrote a truly excellent piece on the Ringer about Bengals offensive woes. As they’ve adjusted their pass game to the spread stuff Burrow likes, it’s become disjointed from their run game and is now a massive tell. They line up in gun spread to pass and under center with tight splits to run, with something like 80% predictability based on formation. So, every time they line up in spead looks, the D can just tee off.

Still haven't scored in the 2nd half in 2 games now after a great 1st half. Can't do that against GB or if we get into the playoffs. Defense picked up the offense in the 2nd half again.

GB also did not score in 2nd half, and they were in a close game. I'd be more concerned about it if it was a close game...Going into halftime with a 24 point lead changes how the game flow goes.
The six 2nd half drives:
1) Sack killed it, leaving a 3rd and long
2) a bunch of running plays, one completed pass that picked up a first down. Used clock.
3) An odd 3 and out with 3 incompletes. This one was bad.
4) The one play safety
5) Again just a bunch of running plays. Used more clock.
6) Got the first to end the game.

The 3rd drive was strange, but it happens. I think Hurts was 2 for 3 in the first 2 drives of the second half, but they were trying to run the ball and couldn't. Then they tried to air it out the 3rd drive and didn't work. After that the game was basically over and they were just running and using clock.

IMO - the main issue with these 2nd half offenses is they need to be able to run the ball better. You go into the 2nd half with a 24 point lead - you're gonna run the ball and limit the possessions each team has.
Great points but that doesn't fit in to Djackson's narrative..

He doesn't like Hurts.. Let's move on.. The Eagles/Hurts look great thus far

Some All 22 Game Notes (all from 1st half):

Again, a lot of single high to start out on D, they went more into 2 high, with the usual mixes from that later on.

Fletcher Cox looks a lot better this year for 2 reasons, firstly the effort is much better this year, but he’s also being single blocked almost all the time and that wasn’t true even 2 years ago.

Jordan Davis has his wins, he beat the C quickly on the first series and got a pass deflection. He penetrates and maybe gets out of his gap at times. Also got too high and lost leverage a couple of times.

Reddick shows up well on film, gets close a lot, has plays vs. the run from the back side. One early series, Gannon schemed him a free rush showing double A blitz but dropping White and rushing TJ. Ball came out too quick, but was a good design and execution.

Eagles RBs are really inconsistent with the wide zone plays. Too often they cut back way too early and are tackled by an unblocked backside defender. When they actually follow the blocking wide, it mostly works. Sanders, Scott were both guilty of this.

Sanders also missed the hole on a well blocked Duo play from pistol.

Jonathan Allen was a problem all game, made a number of plays. Dickerson struggled a bit with him early but seemed to do better as the game went on.

On Hargrave’s sack, they rotated coverage from 2 high pre snap to single high man robber. Showed TJ and White in double A again, but backed them both out. Wentz double clutched and 97 got home. This illustrates something I‘d complained about after the Detroit game. Coverage has to give the pass rush a chance to get home, you wont’ get any sacks if the ball can come out in 1.7s every play. Mixing it up and some post snap shifting gives the QB something to think about and will make him hold on to the ball at times.

Marlon Tuipolotu had a nice shed and tackle play on a WAS run

On the Smitty sideline catch, CB still had 2 yards cushion, Smith blew by while the ball was in the air. Wondering if they knew that was a speed mismatch based on scouting. Smith seems to really pick up speed once he’s striding out in a deep route.

3rd down before FG Red zone play, 0 blitz with a free rusher, nobody open. Hurts stayed calm in pocket, threw to Smitty, incomplete. Put the ball away from defender who had his eyes away from the ball in man coverage.

On BG strip sack, Wentz had TE open right in front of him, double clutched again, starts meandering in the pocket and goes down.

On that designed QB run from empty in the Red Zone, Kelce couldn’t quite get to a block on the S, was a first down / TD if he made it.

Wentz strip sack by Reddick, ignored Thomas open underneath, held ball.

On the play before the slant TD to brown, Hurts rolled right and threw Incomplete to Brown. The ball looked off target to the inside, but Hurts was throwing away from underneath LB. Smart throw.

Again, placement on slant to brown td inside away from CB leverage. If he’d led Brown inside, the ball would have been deflected. 2 smart throws in a row.

The deep shot to Smith just before half time, again CB still had cushion when Hurts threw, Smith just sailed past. S actually did well to get as close as he did, he was outside the far hash when the ball was thrown.

That shovel pass to Stoll would have been a TD except for Hurts goofy delivery.

WAS were waiting for the zone read on 3rd down, played it perfectly.

Epps and Edwards stood out, both just in the right place all the time. Sweat again was really good. You forget how good Lane is sometimes, just perfect execution over and over and over.

Mailata did give up another sack, but good overall. Just needs to close down that variance between his best and worst plays.

Still haven't scored in the 2nd half in 2 games now after a great 1st half. Can't do that against GB or if we get into the playoffs. Defense picked up the offense in the 2nd half again.

GB also did not score in 2nd half, and they were in a close game. I'd be more concerned about it if it was a close game...Going into halftime with a 24 point lead changes how the game flow goes.
The six 2nd half drives:
1) Sack killed it, leaving a 3rd and long
2) a bunch of running plays, one completed pass that picked up a first down. Used clock.
3) An odd 3 and out with 3 incompletes. This one was bad.
4) The one play safety
5) Again just a bunch of running plays. Used more clock.
6) Got the first to end the game.

The 3rd drive was strange, but it happens. I think Hurts was 2 for 3 in the first 2 drives of the second half, but they were trying to run the ball and couldn't. Then they tried to air it out the 3rd drive and didn't work. After that the game was basically over and they were just running and using clock.

IMO - the main issue with these 2nd half offenses is they need to be able to run the ball better. You go into the 2nd half with a 24 point lead - you're gonna run the ball and limit the possessions each team has.
Great points but that doesn't fit in to Djackson's narrative..

He doesn't like Hurts.. Let's move on.. The Eagles/Hurts look great thus far

No my point is our offense seems to struggle the 2nd half overall. Thats ON THE TEAM AS A WHOLE. I just don't think our offense production is as sustainable as some believe right now

No my point is our offense seems to struggle the 2nd half overall. Thats ON THE TEAM AS A WHOLE. I just don't think our offense production is as sustainable as some believe right now
To Sirianni's credit he admitted that he was too conservative against the Vikings and too aggressive against Washington in the 2nd half and needs to find a better balance.

Not gonna judge offensive production when a team is already up 20+ points in the second half.

I think we should be especially when we've faced 2 teams who've had chances and missed them to comeback into the game. The wins are nice but lets look at this without green glasses on. we've played 2 avg teams who've missed on some nice chances to get back in games with us. To the defenses credit they've bent a few times but didn't break either but this won't be acceptable against the Rams, GB. TB etc.

To Sirianni's credit he admitted that he was too conservative against the Vikings and too aggressive against Washington in the 2nd half and needs to find a better balance.

Yeah Hurts and Sirianni saying we know about this is great, but actions speak louder then words in the end. Lets see what they do with this now.

Dam I loved this guy in NJPW. Not sure why they didn't keep him.

Former New Japan Pro Wrestling wrestler Karl Fredericks, who left the promotion a couple of months ago when his contract expired, was spotted at WWE's Performance Center earlier this week, reports PWInsider. It's not known if Fredericks was just training with friends or there for an actual tryout

Not gonna judge offensive production when a team is already up 20+ points in the second half.

I think we should be especially when we've faced 2 teams who've had chances and missed them to comeback into the game. The wins are nice but lets look at this without green glasses on. we've played 2 avg teams who've missed on some nice chances to get back in games with us. To the defenses credit they've bent a few times but didn't break either but this won't be acceptable against the Rams, GB. TB etc.
I see you've found something to nitpick. I'm not speaking for anyone else but man, I've enjoyed the hell out of these 3 games. Team's playing better than they have since '17. Actually scoring more per game than '17. Hurts is a top 5 QB in the NFL, the offense and defense are both top 10 or better.

I'm just gonna enjoy it. The only game I felt they *could* lose was against Detroit, and they happened to score 2 TDs in the 2nd half when they needed it. The other two were never in doubt. Hard to find fault with that.

I see you've found something to nitpick. I'm not speaking for anyone else but man, I've enjoyed the hell out of these 3 games. Team's playing better than they have since '17. Actually scoring more per game than '17. Hurts is a top 5 QB in the NFL, the offense and defense are both top 10 or better.

I'm just gonna enjoy it. The only game I felt they *could* lose was against Detroit, and they happened to score 2 TDs in the 2nd half when they needed it. The other two were never in doubt. Hard to find fault with that.
Totally agree. Just happy to be here

Definitely enjoying the run, but not quite feeling like it’s “for real” yet versus a mirage or temporary hot streak.

In 2017, that CAR Thursday night game was when I went from feeling like “this is fun” to “this is special.”

When/if that happens again, for this season, who knows? But I’ll know it when/if it happens.

Definitely enjoying the run, but not quite feeling like it’s “for real” yet versus a mirage or temporary hot streak.

In 2017, that CAR Thursday night game was when I went from feeling like “this is fun” to “this is special.”

When/if that happens again, for this season, who knows? But I’ll know it when/if it happens.
Week six. That'll tell me where we're at. Last year we weren't competitive with Dallas...so when they come here, to Philly....that will tell me a lot. Their defense is for real, and our team has to be up for the game.

Week six. That'll tell me where we're at. Last year we weren't competitive with Dallas...so when they come here, to Philly....that will tell me a lot. Their defense is for real, and our team has to be up for the game.
Sunday's game was big for me since Wash often gives them problems and they were on the road, short week, after a big MNF win. Feel like average years that's a recipe for a mind boggling, sloppy let down that even if they win you feel like crap about it. Instead they curb stomped them. Agree that the Dallas defense will be a great test and measuring stick, but after last Sunday I'm a believer that this isn't going to be an average season and could very well be special (barring injuries, as always).

Yeah I'm not feeling the "this is for real yet". After 3 games small sample size played 3 suspect teams at best. Week 11 or so I might see something different maybe.

Hurts named NFC Offensive player of the month. And Eagles had one player of the week in each of the first 3 weeks (McPherson, Slay, Graham.) Could have been 4 but Devonta got robbed this week.

That’s good, right?

Devonta should've had it this week NFC wise. I don't think anyone else really went off in the NFC though besides Patterson who played Sea who's horrible defensively.

Don't get me wrong I like the wins but I'm not going to sit back and say OMG this team is legit or doesn't have issues. We can't run the ball on short yardage, 2nd half woes which the HC and QB have admitted and our Special teams is suspect right now. Sunday was the first game I also legit felt the defense got some sacks though.

Sunday's game was big for me since Wash often gives them problems and they were on the road, short week, after a big MNF win. Feel like average years that's a recipe for a mind boggling, sloppy let down that even if they win you feel like crap about it. Instead they curb stomped them. Agree that the Dallas defense will be a great test and measuring stick, but after last Sunday I'm a believer that this isn't going to be an average season and could very well be special (barring injuries, as always).

I think you're underestimating Jaguars Defense a bit. I think this is going to be a closer game then people think it will be. Jacksonville D isn't the Sackville Defense it was known for but they aren't a push over either with a few legit players. They got the LB Josh Allen who's underrated, front running DROTY in Devin Lloyd, Travon Walker, really good young Safety in Cisco and Griffin at the other spot. Plus I think James Robinson is a very underrated RB on Offense. I'm not a huge Lawerence fan but he IMHO right now is the best QB they've faced so far.

Yeah I'm not feeling the "this is for real yet". After 3 games small sample size played 3 suspect teams at best. Week 11 or so I might see something different maybe.

So let's get on record here then. Week 11 - what record who you say at that point they're a legit good team? 7-3 or better?

So let's get on record here then. Week 11 - what record who you say at that point they're a legit good team? 7-3 or better?
Why do we care what someone who’s not an Eagles fan thinks about this?

Users who are viewing this thread