What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (4 Viewers)

Got a pretty cool phone call from my cousin today. As some know he's one of the coaches on St Joe's Prep. Coaches freshman but helps varsity. He called me asking where I was and told him I was leaving work. He said to me to get down to south philly by Novacare and meet him. I asked him why and he told me just come. I get there and buses with Prep guys are coming off in practice gear. My Cousin asked me to come as a guest to SJ Prep practice at the Eagles Practice facility. Hassan Reddick and Shaun Bradley two players who are Temple Almuni spoke to the guys. Nick and Howie were there and I got to share a cool moment with Howie talking about Florida and I asked him if he Geovani was his influence in getting some LBs. He laughed. Really impressive day and pretty cool the Eagles allowed Prep to use their Practice facility. The prep play Harrisburg in Hershey for the State Title Saturday night. Pretty cool my cousin invited me though.

Nick was awesome and Bradley dated my coworkers sister so he was pretty cool about all of that as they are stayed friends after breaking up. I was hoping Kelce and Graham who both live in my area were there but Graham was doing PR Media stuff tape for his Man of the Year Nomination and Kelce had already left. Everyone was really cool. I told most of them I had worked with Coach Vasso's mom and everyone was very complementary of Dino who knew him. Reddick knew him just from being in the league and having some friends. Jalen Hurts back in the summer visited with the prep and talked to their QB Samaj Jones. Other then the people I mentioned no one else was there other then Lurie who came by and shook people's hands and wished the team good luck. I also got a pretty cool St Joe Prep Football jacket from Coach Rourkin. Very unexpected thing to end the day and my cousin said it was his Christmas gift to me.

Jalen Hurts back to back NFC Player of The Week awards, as if there was another option.
As an outsider, have really enjoyed watching Hurts develop into a complete QB

Great lesson to other teams about being patient for 2-3 years when you have a QB with great physical talent.

It also helps to have great people and coaching stafff around your young QB. Too many QBs go into situations that don't benefit them. I don't know if Hurts has the same success say I we went to Indy or somewhere else though. Coaching staff and team situation matter a lot. Also look at Josh Allen in that example.

The reason DAL didn't want to sign OBJ after finding out he wouldn't be ready till January is since January 15 1995 Dal has yet to play a game past that day in January so it wouldn't been a waste of money for them.

The reason DAL didn't want to sign OBJ after finding out he wouldn't be ready till January is since January 15 1995 Dal has yet to play a game past that day in January so it wouldn't been a waste of money for them.

Be careful with this line of thinking. The Bengals have been the Bungles for pretty much ever and then they went to the Super Bowl last year. Cowboys are talented and no reason why they can’t compete this year.

Got a pretty cool phone call from my cousin today. As some know he's one of the coaches on St Joe's Prep. Coaches freshman but helps varsity. He called me asking where I was and told him I was leaving work. He said to me to get down to south philly by Novacare and meet him. I asked him why and he told me just come. I get there and buses with Prep guys are coming off in practice gear. My Cousin asked me to come as a guest to SJ Prep practice at the Eagles Practice facility. Hassan Reddick and Shaun Bradley two players who are Temple Almuni spoke to the guys. Nick and Howie were there and I got to share a cool moment with Howie talking about Florida and I asked him if he Geovani was his influence in getting some LBs. He laughed. Really impressive day and pretty cool the Eagles allowed Prep to use their Practice facility. The prep play Harrisburg in Hershey for the State Title Saturday night. Pretty cool my cousin invited me though.

Nick was awesome and Bradley dated my coworkers sister so he was pretty cool about all of that as they are stayed friends after breaking up. I was hoping Kelce and Graham who both live in my area were there but Graham was doing PR Media stuff tape for his Man of the Year Nomination and Kelce had already left. Everyone was really cool. I told most of them I had worked with Coach Vasso's mom and everyone was very complementary of Dino who knew him. Reddick knew him just from being in the league and having some friends. Jalen Hurts back in the summer visited with the prep and talked to their QB Samaj Jones. Other then the people I mentioned no one else was there other then Lurie who came by and shook people's hands and wished the team good luck. I also got a pretty cool St Joe Prep Football jacket from Coach Rourkin. Very unexpected thing to end the day and my cousin said it was his Christmas gift to me.
Did you tell Howie your concerns about Hurts lol

With how badly the Saints need a QB, this would have been the perfect year for them to get one of them at the top of the draft. Would be awesome if we could trade the pick back to them for a hefty package. We could definitely use one of the stud DL/EDGE coming into the league next year, but with a top 5 pick, I'd fully expect Howie to move back and take a plethora of future picks.

With how badly the Saints need a QB, this would have been the perfect year for them to get one of them at the top of the draft. Would be awesome if we could trade the pick back to them for a hefty package. We could definitely use one of the stud DL/EDGE coming into the league next year, but with a top 5 pick, I'd fully expect Howie to move back and take a plethora of future picks.

If we're in the top 5 and Jalen Carter is available when we pick I'm taking him. Otherwise, like you said, I'm trading back and getting a bunch of picks.

funny talk on one of the 7-8 podcasts/youtube shows i always check in about the Eagles. It was the Philly Special. Which would be more "fun":

1. Tyler Henicke gets hurt and Carson Wentz takes over and beats the Eagles in the divisional round letting Hurts and Siriani go 0-2 in the playoffs.
2. Eagles win divisional round, only to have Cowpokes come in for NFC Championship and steamroll the Eagles to win by more than 20 points.

I actually think 2 would be worse. 1 would be almost comical and there is a tiny piece (surprised myself) that actually would be ok with #1 to see Carson finally win a playoff game. Not a Wentz fan and wasn't a big one at any point. but at this point in the guy's career (really isn't a kid anymore), you have to feel for him a little, and to see him not be a complete fizzle out of the NFL would be bitter sweet

i think unless there is a "can't miss" DL guy, i would love the scenario of them trading the pick for future draft picks again.

Remembering the "process" years, it is always somewhat fun rooting against other teams during the season based on draft position. it is a fun little thing that can make a failed season a little easier to take to give you something else to even root for. I'm saving all off-season thinking in my brain for after this season to enjoy this ride, but glad we will have some fun things to talk about thanks to Howie.

Quinn’s roster spot went to DL Janarius Robinson who is coming off IR, and they also waived Andre Chachere, who I guess could come back to the PS and be a call-up because that really leaves them thin at Safety now. Unless they are going to sign one (Anthony Harris?)
Andre Chachere back to the PS, I think he might get called up for the game this week and Maddox comes back as the last active roster spot.

Can we talk real quick about how well these 2 unknown guys came in and just have been playing really solid football?

Reed Blankenship, if you had been following since TC, had been flashing during the summer in spots. Really nice to see him come in and just make us not *really* wish wish for CJGJ to be back asap.

And 2nd is the LB they called up who made an *immediate* impact on Special Teams - Linebacker Christian Elliss.

Reminds me a little of 2017 when unknown guys were coming in and balling out.

Jalen Hurts back to back NFC Player of The Week awards, as if there was another option.

Great lesson to other teams about being patient for 2-3 years when you have a QB with great physical talent.

It also helps to have great people and coaching stafff around your young QB. Too many QBs go into situations that don't benefit them. I don't know if Hurts has the same success say I we went to Indy or somewhere else though. Coaching staff and team situation matter a lot. Also look at Josh Allen in that example.
For sure

But even the Bears seem to be taking the right approach with Fields, so maybe their organization has a clue after all. Purging bad contracts and opening up cap space. Hopefully they use it on OL and a true #1 WR,

Will be interesting to see what happens with Zach Wilson in NY.

Mariota benched in ATL. Has a $3MM roster bonus due next year so he’s likely going to be cut in March.

Minshew is an UFA after this season.

8 years late, but we can finally get him :P

Quinn’s roster spot went to DL Janarius Robinson who is coming off IR, and they also waived Andre Chachere, who I guess could come back to the PS and be a call-up because that really leaves them thin at Safety now. Unless they are going to sign one (Anthony Harris?)
Andre Chachere back to the PS, I think he might get called up for the game this week and Maddox comes back as the last active roster spot.
Never mind, just saw Chachere has already been elevated three times this season, so he's out of them and can only play again if the Eagles re-sign him to the 53.

Call-ups do reset in the postseason, though.

on a backup QB, UCLA Dorian Thompson Robinson is a Hurts clone physically, once he puts on about 20lbs anyway, and need two to three years holding a clip board to really develop into a NFL backup QB. He's nowhere near good enough to be a starter in the NFL, ever, but seems like a really good fit as a backup to Hurts for the next few years. Will probably be available well into the fifth or sixth round, like Brett Hundley a few years ago who had just as much success at UCLA and at least got drafted by GB. Though Josh Rosen did go in the first round out of UCLA a couple of years ago surprisingly, but hopefully someone got fired over that pick.

this comp to Hurts actually originated from Chip Kelly. paraphrasing, he apparently said there aren't any backup QB's who can do what the starting athletic/mobile QB's who came into the league over the last few years can do with their feet and read the field, pointing specifically to Hurts along with Jackson, Allen, and even Herbert. it's hard enough to find a starting QB who can do that, not enough of that going around for backups. story goes, Chip tried to convince DTR to go into the last draft 2022 and take this route of becoming a backup on one of those teams. DTR opted to stay in school instead.

Hypothetical question for us to have fun with, and you HAVE TO answer with a straight YES or NO before any attempts at expanding on your reasons (looking at you Djax!).

The devil comes to you today and says he can guarantee the Eagles win the Super Bowl this season.

If you say YES, he tells you that it will also mean everything will play out in 2023-2025 similarly to how it did in 2018-2020 after winning SB52:
  • Hurts will sign a mega extension (@$47MM/year)
  • Something will go wrong in both his level of play and relationship with the team and fans over the next few seasons
  • A huge cap hit will come as a result of his release or being traded
  • No return to the Super Bowl, or even getting past the divisional round in 2023 or 2024, followed by a 4-12-1 season in 2025 that leaves us bringing in a new coach and trying to find our next franchise QB in 2026
If you say NO, the season may end any number of ways after today (from blowing the #1 seed and losing as the #5 seed in the wildcard round, up to an exciting and competitive SB loss), but winning the SB is the only thing that will NOT be on the table. For 2023 and beyond, the devil has no influence on what happens.

YES.

but an interesting thought. season after season of being good throughout the year but to fall short somewhere in the playoffs, which makes for fun seasons but a disappointing ending. Or the euphoria of winning it all followed by years of being division fodder for years. i almost wanna say the former is better, as a fan and as a fantasy player, but that's like buffalo, dallas, etc etc etc for the past many decades.

I wanna see Kelce get another before he retires, so definitely yes.

YES.

Because the chances of us winning multiple in the next 3 years are pretty slim.

Not sure we could rebuild as well this time around though. In fact I bet that would be near impossible and would likely be a lot more than 3-4 down seasons.

Of course it’s yes.

It is so hard to win a Super Bowl you have to take the guarantee.

Though if I knew it were guaranteed maybe it wouldn’t be that much fun.

For sure

But even the Bears seem to be taking the right approach with Fields, so maybe their organization has a clue after all. Purging bad contracts and opening up cap space. Hopefully they use it on OL and a true #1 WR,

Will be interesting to see what happens with Zach Wilson in NY.

They are running the CK SF offense. It won't last that long. Teams will adapt CHI will need to adapt. I was never high on Fields but I'm also never high on OSU QBs.

Last edited:
Mariota benched in ATL. Has a $3MM roster bonus due next year so he’s likely going to be cut in March.

Minshew is an UFA after this season.

8 years late, but we can finally get him :P

No thanks rather resign Minshew. It's Ridder time. Probably my favorite QB in this draft class from this year. Loved watching him at Cincy.

on a backup QB, UCLA Dorian Thompson Robinson is a Hurts clone physically, once he puts on about 20lbs anyway, and need two to three years holding a clip board to really develop into a NFL backup QB. He's nowhere near good enough to be a starter in the NFL, ever, but seems like a really good fit as a backup to Hurts for the next few years. Will probably be available well into the fifth or sixth round, like Brett Hundley a few years ago who had just as much success at UCLA and at least got drafted by GB. Though Josh Rosen did go in the first round out of UCLA a couple of years ago surprisingly, but hopefully someone got fired over that pick.

this comp to Hurts actually originated from Chip Kelly. paraphrasing, he apparently said there aren't any backup QB's who can do what the starting athletic/mobile QB's who came into the league over the last few years can do with their feet and read the field, pointing specifically to Hurts along with Jackson, Allen, and even Herbert. it's hard enough to find a starting QB who can do that, not enough of that going around for backups. story goes, Chip tried to convince DTR to go into the last draft 2022 and take this route of becoming a backup on one of those teams. DTR opted to stay in school instead.

DTR might be one of the worst QB prospects out there. I haven't been impressed at all with him. He's pretty meh. Just resign Minshew and be done with it. I want a back up with experience already. If its not him sign another vet or guy with experience. DTR also went back because he was suppose to be a UDFA-riorty FA. He's now a late rounder. Not much of a difference at all from last year.

Last edited:
Hypothetical question for us to have fun with, and you HAVE TO answer with a straight YES or NO before any attempts at expanding on your reasons (looking at you Djax!).

The devil comes to you today and says he can guarantee the Eagles win the Super Bowl this season.

If you say YES, he tells you that it will also mean everything will play out in 2023-2025 similarly to how it did in 2018-2020 after winning SB52:
  • Something will go wrong in both his level of play and relationship with the team and fans over the next few seasons
  • No return to the Super Bowl, or even getting past the divisional round in 2023 or 2024, followed by a 4-12-1 season in 2025 that leaves us bringing in a new coach and trying to find our next franchise QB in 2026
If you say NO, the season may end any number of ways after today (from blowing the #1 seed and losing as the #5 seed in the wildcard round, up to an exciting and competitive SB loss), but winning the SB is the only thing that will NOT be on the table. For 2023 and beyond, the devil has no influence on what happens.

This is a Hard one but if I read this correctly NO I'd rather go with the Unknown and be able to try and make a competitive to compete. Winning another SB would be great but I'd rather hope for long term success then a **** the picks type deal the Rams have. Also If I knew we were winning a SB I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much. 17 was special because after everything that happened once Wentz went down no one really expected us to even win the SB and that's what made it even more special. Rather have the unknown and be surprised. Only way I might even say yes to this is if the Devil is guaranteeing I can bet on the game and win big $$$ as well.

It's always a yes. There hasn't been a back-to-back SB winner in almost 20 years. Too much left to chance. This team especially has a lot of potential FAs this offseason so who knows what they'll look like next year. Gimme the guarantee 100% of the time.

NO! You never make any deal with the devil- it always costs you more than you expect. Unless you play a pretty mean fidlle.

I honestly would rather roll the dice. I think Hurts has it in him to be comsistently good- sure the team is due to lose some key pieces to FA this year, but they also have a stockpile of draft picks and Howie has been doing well at managing the cap.

I’d rather not go through the Wentz saga again, with Hurts, or anyone. I like Siri, too. I wouldn’t mortgage legit shots thru 2025 for a guranteed Lombardi this year thru a devil’s pact.

We already got the monkey offn ur backs in 2017. And I like our chances this year. No deal

If we're in the top 5 and Jalen Carter is available when we pick I'm taking him. Otherwise, like you said, I'm trading back and getting a bunch of picks.
Regarding the Saints, I don't know how a team trades into the top 5 if they don't have another 1st to trade up from, that's a big value gap to their 2023 2nd or 2024 1st.

I think having a stock of picks every year opens up alot of options and is a big advantage, so I'd be ok with trading the 1st for future picks. (Jefe, what is a plethora?..) If things keep ridiculously breaking our way like those TB and LAR games, we could end up in the top 5 with a couple of highly rated QB's that could draw interest / desperation from other teams if still available at our pick. At this point, I like Anderson and Carter as luxury adds, especially if we think they'd be the piece that puts us over the top, but I'd love to see those trade offers too.

Regarding the Saints, I don't know how a team trades into the top 5 if they don't have another 1st to trade up from, that's a big value gap to their 2023 2nd or 2024 1st.

I think having a stock of picks every year opens up alot of options and is a big advantage, so I'd be ok with trading the 1st for future picks. (Jefe, what is a plethora?..) If things keep ridiculously breaking our way like those TB and LAR games, we could end up in the top 5 with a couple of highly rated QB's that could draw interest / desperation from other teams if still available at our pick. At this point, I like Anderson and Carter as luxury adds, especially if we think they'd be the piece that puts us over the top, but I'd love to see those trade offers too.

yeah but one of those things (and its going to expensive) has to be a later first for this year.

If it ended today, they're not in a bad position with both CAR at 6 and IND(9), ATL(10) and HOU(13). i'd imagine that if there was one of the QBs at 5.....any three of those teams would pay alot to jump CAR. The question being is would you want to go from 5 down to 10??.,....even if you are getting another 1st + additional picks?

NO I'd rather go with the Unknown and be able to try and make a competitive to compete. Winning another SB would be great but I'd rather hope for long term success then a **** the picks type deal the Rams have. Also If I knew we were winning a SB I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much.
I don't think you'd enjoy it at all this year if Hurts won us a SB lol

It sucks that the bottom 2 WC teams are starting to seem fairly week. I don't think NYG/WAS/SEA would beat MIN/SF in round 1, which basically sets up for a round 2 matchup with Dallas whether we win the div or they do.

If it ended today, they're not in a bad position with both CAR at 6 and IND(9), ATL(10) and HOU(13). i'd imagine that if there was one of the QBs at 5.....any three of those teams would pay alot to jump CAR. The question being is would you want to go from 5 down to 10??.,....even if you are getting another 1st + additional picks?

I wouldn't mind dropping from 5 to 10 if I'm getting a 2024 1st added. When we went from 6 to 12 we got 2 1sts and a 4th. It really all depends on what Howie identifies as need positions and how stacked the top of the draft is for that position. If Howie thinks he wants to go CB, then staying at 5 wouldn't make sense since you could get your guy (or a good guy) at 10. But if he wants a stud DT like Carter then he can't move down.

It sucks that the bottom 2 WC teams are starting to seem fairly week. I don't think NYG/WAS/SEA would beat MIN/SF in round 1, which basically sets up for a round 2 matchup with Dallas whether we win the div or they do.
I'm not scared of Dallas. They're a good team. We match up well with what they want to do. I think we'll be at them a 3rd time if needed.

I'm not scared of Dallas. They're a good team. We match up well with what they want to do. I think we'll be at them a 3rd time if needed.
They worry me more than any other team in the NFC does for sure. So would rather face them in the NFCC

They worry me more than any other team in the NFC does for sure. So would rather face them in the NFCC
Fair points, but honestly, who is covering the guy that Diggs isn't? They can be run on. Hankins is soft, he doesn't scare me. Dak is a little wreckless this year. The ole "wait til Christmas Eve" is gonna turn into "Well Dak will just be looking for revenge in the playoffs" after we boat race em 12/24. The only thing that scares me about Dallas is Micah. Thats it. And he is very very very good, but I don't think he is quite "great" yet, so whatevers. We got offensive lineman on this team that are going into the Hall of Fame. We will run all over them, as much as is needed. And then toss it to one of the big 3 when we need it too. They are leaking....

No.

We got one not long ago. Would rather be in the mix every year. It's a lot more fun

Users who are viewing this thread