What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (4 Viewers)

Also, pretty remarkable looking at Pitt schedule.... they're going to go from Sept 16-Oct 25 without leaving town because of that unexpected Bye.  I wonder if any NFL team has ever not traveled for 6 weeks in a row before?

Also, pretty remarkable looking at Pitt schedule.... they're going to go from Sept 16-Oct 25 without leaving town because of that unexpected Bye.  I wonder if any NFL team has ever not traveled for 6 weeks in a row before?
Not sure but ultimately this unexpected bye is not a good thing for them.  They don't need the bye this early in the season (considering they're pretty healthy).  It was supposed to be in Week 8 (after their matchup against Baltimore) which would have been much more ideal.  They'll eventually be travelling.  

Not sure but ultimately this unexpected bye is not a good thing for them.  They don't need the bye this early in the season (considering they're pretty healthy).  It was supposed to be in Week 8 (after their matchup against Baltimore) which would have been much more ideal.  They'll eventually be travelling.  
For sure.  I just found the stat remarkable that they don't leave the city for 6 whole weeks and figured that had to be an NFL record.

Not saying that's advantageous at all.... that will be tough for them later on in the season when there's road games galore.

For sure.  I just found the stat remarkable that they don't leave the city for 6 whole weeks and figured that had to be an NFL record.

Not saying that's advantageous at all.... that will be tough for them later on in the season when there's road games galore.
But in typical Philly luck fashion, the Steelers do benefit from this against exactly one team - the Philadelphia Eagles.    :lol:    ETA - And take one guess who the team is that they should have benefitted against?

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans just had 2 more players test positive. If their game this week against the Bills needs to be delayed, what do they do? If they cancel or forfeit the game, they should retroactively do the same for the Steelers. Anything else would be complete and utter bs. 

Titans just had 2 more players test positive. If their game this week against the Bills needs to be delayed, what do they do? If they cancel or forfeit the game, they should retroactively do the same for the Steelers. Anything else would be complete and utter bs. 
They won't cancel the game. They would push back the start of the playoffs. 

I said this in the NFL-Covid thread, but they NFL needs to shut down for a week and alter the schedule --at least remove all non-conference games (and where already played, non-division games one-for-one) to allow for a shortened season with the ability to makeup several games.  The playoff schedule also needs to allow for delays and fairness.

The NFL had MONTHS to see what worked and what did not, and they made ZERO meaningful changes other than eliminating the pre-season.  They should have started earlier with a shorter season.  Now they risk it all.

They won't cancel the game. They would push back the start of the playoffs. 
Make a week 18 with just the Titans and Bills?

I think they should have made a 2nd bye week ~week 15. Just push the week 15-17 games 1 week out and get rid of week off between Championship games and Super Bowl. 

It sounds like the Titans players broke protocol and practiced on their own when things were shut down. There seems to be evidence. This would support a Bills forfeit and not a Steelers one, no matter how much that sucks. 

Make a week 18 with just the Titans and Bills?

I think they should have made a 2nd bye week ~week 15. Just push the week 15-17 games 1 week out and get rid of week off between Championship games and Super Bowl. 

It sounds like the Titans players broke protocol and practiced on their own when things were shut down. There seems to be evidence. This would support a Bills forfeit and not a Steelers one, no matter how much that sucks. 
No one is forfeiting. They'll figure it out  

No one is forfeiting. They'll figure it out  
Agreed.  The Steelers (and every other AFC contender) would scream bloody murder if you hand the Bills a win.  They need to figure out a way to play this game, either now or week 18.

Godsbrother said:
Agreed.  The Steelers (and every other AFC contender) would scream bloody murder if you hand the Bills a win.  They need to figure out a way to play this game, either now or week 18.
I think you're probably right. I would much rather they push all the weeks out, and have the makeup week replace like week 15 or 16, that way teams don't get an extra Bye going into the playoffs. 

Claypool is amazing.  Out of nowhere and has instantly become the Steelers #1 WR.  Milkman's "lock" of D. Johnson and JuJu both being top 10 WR's this year seems a little off.

Claypool is amazing.  Out of nowhere and has instantly become the Steelers #1 WR.  Milkman's "lock" of D. Johnson and JuJu both being top 10 WR's this year seems a little off.
Seems to be a great talent but not so sure I would say he is the Steelers #1 WR at this point. Will be very interesting to see what happens going forward.

JoeSteeler said:
For a team that is. 4-0 for the first time in 40 years not much going on in this thread
Echo of the off season.  Been too quiet considering how good the team can be with the 2019 D and Ben back in the saddle.

Next few weeks will be telling of just how good the team is this year.  Only 1 loss between the Browns, Titans and Ravens.  

JoeSteeler said:
Seems to be a great talent but not so sure I would say he is the Steelers #1 WR at this point. Will be very interesting to see what happens going forward.
You could possibly make an argument for all 3 of them.  It could be a situation where a different WR is the top WR any given week, and the others are duds.

Echo of the off season.  Been too quiet considering how good the team can be with the 2019 D and Ben back in the saddle.

Next few weeks will be telling of just how good the team is this year.  Only 1 loss between the Browns, Titans and Ravens.  
That defense needs to get better, particularly the secondary.

That defense needs to get better, particularly the secondary.
100% agreed. Minkah hasn't been targeted very much so far this year, only allowing 9 receptions in 4 games where he was in coverage, but the lack of splash plays is disappointing. And the tackle (or lack thereof) this past sunday where he slammed into the WR but didn't wrap at all, and the WR bounced off and ran for more yards, was terrible. I'm hoping that it's a case of other teams avoiding him, but there have been several articles about his play. Some saying that he's doing his job (for the most part) in stopping big splash plays, but that some of the other people in coverage are screwing up which makes him look bad. Like Nelson letting a WR run right by, or Vince Williams trying to cover anyone down field. 

Overall, very happy with the wins, but we've faced some bad teams and we need to tighten things up before we play contenders. 

Claypool looks legit and I am really glad I was wrong about him. I didn't like his college tape and thought he was overrated. His play so far in the NFL looks way better than he did in college, but also, he's not being covered by the top CBs, and it's far too early to call him a #1. The eagles kept screwing up in coverage and used a LB to cover him on that last TD. It's reminiscent of Juju when AB was on the field. I am so glad he's playing well, and if Defenses have to take him AND Juju AND Diontae seriously, that leaves room for the running game, James Washington, and our TEs. 

Feeling good about the Cleveland game this week, but we can't afford to make stupid mistakes with Garrett, Hunt, and Odell on the opposing side. 

I am actually expecting Cleveland to win Sunday.. As a Steelers Fan, they are a very unimpressive unbeaten.
Could be but a big knock on previous Steelers teams is that they lost games to bad teams.    The Browns are looking good but their wins aren't that impressive either and they got absolutely destroyed by Baltimore.   

I have no idea which team is better given this crazy 2020 preseason/season and I wouldn't lay down much on either team in this game if I were a betting man.

AB and Bell are FA’s... 😂
Maybe the grass isn't always greener? I wonder if any of our current soon to be FA's are looking at their situations. 

Could be but a big knock on previous Steelers teams is that they lost games to bad teams.    The Browns are looking good but their wins aren't that impressive either and they got absolutely destroyed by Baltimore.   

I have no idea which team is better given this crazy 2020 preseason/season and I wouldn't lay down much on either team in this game if I were a betting man.
100% this. In the past the Steelers have showed up in big games, and dropped the "easy wins" to terrible teams. I'm happy we've been able to beat the teams we're "supposed to beat" and hopefully we can show up against the tougher opponents.

My biggest worry for this week is our O-line against the Cleveland D-line. We might be missing Decastro and Pouncey this week. I really hope we use more no-huddle, and we utilize the quick passing game. Our running game up the middle is nonexistent, mostly because we're getting 0 push against good defensive lines. If Ben doesn't get the ball out of his hands real quick sunday, he's going to get smashed over, and over, and over. 

Maybe the grass isn't always greener? I wonder if any of our current soon to be FA's are looking at their situations. 

100% this. In the past the Steelers have showed up in big games, and dropped the "easy wins" to terrible teams. I'm happy we've been able to beat the teams we're "supposed to beat" and hopefully we can show up against the tougher opponents.

My biggest worry for this week is our O-line against the Cleveland D-line. We might be missing Decastro and Pouncey this week. I really hope we use more no-huddle, and we utilize the quick passing game. Our running game up the middle is nonexistent, mostly because we're getting 0 push against good defensive lines. If Ben doesn't get the ball out of his hands real quick sunday, he's going to get smashed over, and over, and over. 
I think Pouncey is expected to play at this early point of the week, DeCastro didn't sound as promising.

This is a concern but I think Mayfield could be facing the same problem.

Read smashed over and over. In my head also read like Myles Garrett clutching Mason Rudolf’s helmet.

Kevin Dotson is an absolute stud. If he fills in for DeCastro it should be fine. Best rookie linemen we've had since Pouncey in 2010. 

Can some locals weigh in on the WRs? Was week 5 a coming out party for Claypool or just a weird outlier. San the TDs, he still saw a team high 11 targets, which was double any of his teammates. Fantasy boards seem to still love Johnson, but Claypool's physical size is hard to ignore if he's going to see even 6-7 targets moving forward. What has kept him off the field til now? 

Can some locals weigh in on the WRs? Was week 5 a coming out party for Claypool or just a weird outlier. San the TDs, he still saw a team high 11 targets, which was double any of his teammates. Fantasy boards seem to still love Johnson, but Claypool's physical size is hard to ignore if he's going to see even 6-7 targets moving forward. What has kept him off the field til now? 
Real deal. Finally nailed drafting the perfect balance of talent, football IQ and character. Ben has a long history of elevating performance of BIG and fast receivers. Couldn’t be a more perfect fit.

Pittsburgh was bringing Chase along slowly because we have the luxury to do so. Injuries accelerated the timeline. With his dominating performance, there is no way he gets relegated to a minimal role going forward.

Real deal. Finally nailed drafting the perfect balance of talent, football IQ and character. Ben has a long history of elevating performance of BIG and fast receivers. Couldn’t be a more perfect fit.

Pittsburgh was bringing Chase along slowly because we have the luxury to do so. Injuries accelerated the timeline. With his dominating performance, there is no way he gets relegated to a minimal role going forward.
While I agree it is important to note that Dionte Johnson will be back this week.  Between JuJu, Chase, Dionte, James Washington, Ebron and the RBs there are a lot of mouths to feed in that offense.

While I agree it is important to note that Dionte Johnson will be back this week.  Between JuJu, Chase, Dionte, James Washington, Ebron and the RBs there are a lot of mouths to feed in that offense.
Agreed.  As a Claypool owner I wouldn’t be putting him in my lineup if I have other decent options this coming week.  I want to give it a few weeks to see how the target shares shake out with everyone healthy before I feel comfortable starting him. 

OBJ sent home from practice "out of an abundance of caution" due to an unknown illness.   He has not been tested for Covid-19.

I hope this does not put the Steelers game this weekend in jeopardy!

EEK. Hopefully just a scare.

Was about to post that two of the Steelers big playmakers on D, Minkah and Bush have yet to create a turnover this season. Will be needed over the next month.

Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Maurkice Pouncey, Eric Ebron, TJ Watt and Stephon Tuitt were all full participants today, as were Marcus Allen and Derek Watt.

Diontae Johnson (back) was limited, and David DeCastro (Abs) did not practice.

JoeSteeler said:
Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Maurkice Pouncey, Eric Ebron, TJ Watt and Stephon Tuitt were all full participants today, as were Marcus Allen and Derek Watt.

Diontae Johnson (back) was limited, and David DeCastro (Abs) did not practice.
That's good news but I am getting a sinking feeling this game may get postponed if OBJ tests positive.  The Colts have just closed their facility after multiple positive Covid tests (The Colts played the Browns last week).  :(   

That's good news but I am getting a sinking feeling this game may get postponed if OBJ tests positive.  The Colts have just closed their facility after multiple positive Covid tests (The Colts played the Browns last week).  :(   
All Colts tests were personnel. No players yet

Bush out for season. Should we try and trade for an ILB? Do we hope that Spillane and Ulysses Gilbert can fill the void? At this point it feels like an all-in year, and there are plenty of teams reeling that could be open to a midround pick for an ILB. 

This doesn't tank our season like an injury to Big Ben did, but our D just got significantly worse, unless Spillane or Gilbert are somehow an unknown gem that the D can rally around/cover for. 

Love that Minkah finally had a splash play this year, and our Offense looked incredible after Ben finally got going. 

Where do you guys see us landing in the current season? Assuming no COVID issues since we can't really predict that at all. I think that this is probably our best shot at a deep playoff run if Ben is back to full strength since we may lose a lot of starting pieces next year. 

1. Giants - Win (A) - If we can stop the run we win by 2 scores.
  2. Broncos - Win (H) - Is Drew Lock legit? Our D could feast.
  3. Texans - Win (H) - Close game, Brandin Cooks already hurt, David Johnson washed up? Watt vs Watt.
  4. Titans - Loss (A) - Away game against a team with a great run game and solid D. I don't think we go 4-0, first loss could be here or Texans.
  5. Eagles - Win (H) - Already losing all their pass catchers, they seem to be cursed with injuries this year and have a terrible O-line.
  6. Browns - Win (H) - I think the Browns are better this year, but if Ben is healthy he leads us to a win.
  7. Ravens - Loss (A) - We lose by 3 scores and it's really ugly. Ravens are crowned the best team in the AFC. They let it go to their heads. 
  8. BYE
  9. Cowboys - Win(A) - We pull off a win on the road against one of the top NFC teams in their own stadium. Mainly via defense with a special teams TD from Diontae. 
  10. Bengals - Win (H) - Game is closer than expected with AJ Green already out for the year by week 10. But Tee Higgins, Mixon, and Boyd combine for 4 TDs in Joe Burrow's flying circus. 
  11. Jaguars - Win (A) - Easy win right? ... RIGHT? We win by 1 score against a team we should blow out on the road. 
  12. Ravens - Win (H) - We win by 3 scores dominating from the start. Our Defense gets a score and shuts down Lamar completely. 
  13. Washington - Win (H) - Washington Football Team realizes in week 12 that they might be in running for top 2 draft pick. We win by a mile. 
  14. Bills - Win (A) - Close game but the fact that Josh Allen isn't accurate at all allows us to squeak by. 
  15. Bengals - Loss (A) - Joe Burrow throws for more yards against us than any team so far this year. 
  16. Colts - Win (H) - Phillip Rivers really is done, by the end of the season his arm is shot and he throws 3 picks, 2 to Minkah. 
  17. Browns - Win (A) - Browns gonna Brown. 
Optimistic win/loss total is 13-3. Odds of it happening? Not 0. Idk where I'd put the extra losses but if our whole team somehow stays healthy, I reasonably see us with an 11-5 record getting the first wild card spot. 

Without preseason I predict a flurry of injuries over the first 3-4 weeks, so hopefully the Steelers will avoid that. 
Still right! Called wins against Giants, Broncos, Texans, Eagles Browns. Titans was delayed but I said we lose to Titans and Ravens. Based on how our team is playing I think we can split that or maybe win both. The Cowboys win seems more likely now that Dak is out, but Dalton does know our team better so who knows. Even though I predicted it, pretty surprised we're 5-0. 13-3 doesn't seem so crazy **knock on wood. 

Do we hope that Spillane and Ulysses Gilbert can fill the void?
Spillane is not Bush, obviously, but I thought he played pretty well when he came into the game.  He had a couple nice wrap-up tackles on Hunt who I think is one of the slipperiest runners in the league.  Not sure how he is in pass coverage, but he seemed like he belonged on an NFL field.

Users who are viewing this thread