What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

Seems like a reach at every pick. Claypool has potential and is the big target ben always loves, but man there were some good rbs there. Doesn’t help that Dobbins ends up in Baltimore (who somehow have 100 picks?). 

Read McFarland is a headcase. Not sure that a small rb works in Pittsburgh either.

And the olineman wasn’t even invited to the combine ....
Good comment.  My take is PIT did their homework and locked onto specific players to target that'd likely be there (appear to be a reach) with each pick. Only way they'd veer is getting unexpected value drop into their lap. Opposite of BPA and letting the players fall to them. 

Knowing the team is high on McFarland & also considered a reach early 4th made it easier for them to pass on Dobbins. Taking Dobbins would have looked good, but then they'd miss out on the guy the team is comfortable with to replace Bud Dupree next season.  

Good comment.  My take is PIT did their homework and locked onto specific players to target that'd likely be there (appear to be a reach) with each pick. Only way they'd veer is getting unexpected value drop into their lap. Opposite of BPA and letting the players fall to them. 

Knowing the team is high on McFarland & also considered a reach early 4th made it easier for them to pass on Dobbins. Taking Dobbins would have looked good, but then they'd miss out on the guy the team is comfortable with to replace Bud Dupree next season.  
All true. I trust the process. 

Anyone you guys would them them to bring in as UDFA.?

would like to see Thaddeus Moss, Anthony Gordon , Benito Jones

damn Jones signed with Miami

Last edited by a moderator:
Steers Depot:

Steelers’ 2020 Undrafted Free Agents 

Christian Montano/C Tulane 
James Lockhart/OLB Baylor 
Leo Lewis/ILB Mississippi St 
Spencer Nigh/FB Auburn 
James Pierre/CB Florida Atlantic 
Calvin Taylor/DE Kentucky 
Trajan Brandy/CB Miami (FL) 

Will the Steelers have any room to sign another safety or ilb?  Or is Sutton going to head back there when Edmonds is playing the Barron Lb role?

Cam-Tuitt

Watt-Bush-Dupree

Edmonds

Haden-Nelson-Hilton

Fitz-Sutton

Patriots just released S Obi Melifonwu.

Hes been cut twice in 3 years after being drafted in the 2nd by the Raiders in '17.

He just turned 26 and has to be worth an udfa camp spot.  Maybe a players coach could help a little as opposed to just Del Rio and Belichick.

Darn it.

Jaemis Winston said the Steelers made him an offer but he selected the Saints.

Why "darn it"?  Because a 1 year signing that flashes anything as a QB for a game or two gets a much bigger contract in 2021... which could easily earn you a compensatory pick the following year.  Paying 5 million for good shot at a 4th round pick is a no brainer.  That rookie gives you back 4 years at 800k each.

Darn it.

Jaemis Winston said the Steelers made him an offer but he selected the Saints.

Why "darn it"?  Because a 1 year signing that flashes anything as a QB for a game or two gets a much bigger contract in 2021... which could easily earn you a compensatory pick the following year.  Paying 5 million for good shot at a 4th round pick is a no brainer.  That rookie gives you back 4 years at 800k each.
Interesting, as Colbert denies making an offer per CBS Sports .

My initial reaction to the draft was disappointment, but it has grown on me over time. It's basically an all-upside draft, but with a large amount of risk. Our first two selections are a freak athlete WR, and a pass rusher who has huge upside potential. Later we grabbed a RB who, when healthy, has the ability to dominate top competition (see Ohio St game). Then we grabbed the top Run Blocking IOL and the top Run Stopping Safety (according to PFF). Also, we got Carlos Davis, we needed a big guy, and he's a big guy. 

Like every draft, we won't know how this pans out for 3-5 years, but I'm feeling ok about it. I didn't really love any of the QBs that would have been in our range, and I think that we need to be win-now while Ben is around. Claypool was not in my top 10 WRs, but the Steelers have been great at picking them, so I'll trust the process (until I can say "I told you so!"). 

My initial reaction to the draft was disappointment, but it has grown on me over time. It's basically an all-upside draft, but with a large amount of risk. Our first two selections are a freak athlete WR, and a pass rusher who has huge upside potential. Later we grabbed a RB who, when healthy, has the ability to dominate top competition (see Ohio St game). Then we grabbed the top Run Blocking IOL and the top Run Stopping Safety (according to PFF). Also, we got Carlos Davis, we needed a big guy, and he's a big guy. 

Like every draft, we won't know how this pans out for 3-5 years, but I'm feeling ok about it. I didn't really love any of the QBs that would have been in our range, and I think that we need to be win-now while Ben is around. Claypool was not in my top 10 WRs, but the Steelers have been great at picking them, so I'll trust the process (until I can say "I told you so!"). 
Good points. FO did their homework especially well this year.  Time will tell.

Claypool is a devastating and eager blocker as a WR.  After he gets up to speed, lining up Claypool and Dionte on the outside with JuJu in the slot inspires hope.

Also, I haven't seen too much of it here, but the hate for Juju in the media seems way overblown. Juju will be 24 by the end of the season and has already put up some prolific stats, he had a down year hampered by injury, but I still think he's a building block for our team and think it would be a major mistake to let him walk after this season. I get that there's only so much money to go around, but I think it's worth it to keep him. 

Rookies shouldn't contribute much on D this year.  Results depend upon health.  After Ben went down and Minkah joined the team, it's like the D grew some teeth.  Even in a loss, I was excited watching the D play.  Such a waste of a superbowl worthy defensive season.  Gotta keep the band together. 

Speaking of James Harrison,  If he thinks this "envelope" story involving him, Tomlin, and that brutal hit he delivered against the Browns many years ago is doing the team any favors then he is extremely delusional.    

Much to be exited about for the passing game in 2020. Receiver "virtual" room is under rated and deep with 5 starting caliber young men.  Assuming we keep JuJu in the fold for a 2nd contract, could be Ben's last core group. 

23 JuJu

23 Diontae

21 Claypool

24 Washington

23 Cain

25 (old man) Switzer

Red Zone size matters?   Ben has only thrown passes to 2 of his six tallest (6'+) TE and WR.  

6'8" Zach too tall Gentry - ok maybe he shouldn't be on the list cuz he can't catch, but this guy is a mountain

6'4" Ebron - my pick to lead the team in red zone TD receptions

6'4" McDonald

6'4" Claypool

6'2" Deon Cain - might have long arms too ;)  

6'1" JuJu

5'11" Washington

5'10" Diontae

5'8" Switzer - vegas has him at a billion to two dollars for leading the steelers in red zone TDs.  Save your two dollars for the powerball.

Haven't been following sports at all... when do they have to make cuts to get to the 53 man rosters?

Haven't been following sports at all... when do they have to make cuts to get to the 53 man rosters?
Steelers waived/released QB Paxton Lynch, RB Kerrith Whyte Jr., Trey Edmunds, Wendell Smallwood, WR Saeed Blacknall, WR DeAndre Thompkins, WR Deon Cain, WR Amara Darboh, WR Ryan Switzer, OL Christian DiLauro, OL John Keenoy, OL Derwin Gray, OL Anthony Coyle, OL Jarron Jones, TE Kyle Markway, TE Kevin Rader, DL Cavon Walker, DL Henry Mondeaux, DL Calvin Taylor, DL Daniel McCullers, LB Tuzar Skipper, LB Jayrone Elliott, DB Trajan Brady, DB John Battle, DB Antoine Brooks Jr., P Corliss Waitman, and LS Liam McCullough.

We're potentially screwed when it comes to the Cap next year... The cap is estimated to be as low as $175 million, and we're currently sitting at $188 mil (not including Roll-over that we could spend in 2020). I think we could cut/trade Joe Haden, Eric Ebron, Vance McDonald, and Vince Williams to save roughly $28 million, getting us down to $160 mil. That said, the team usually says that they want to re-tool, not rebuild, so idk if they'd be willing to make steep cuts to get below the cap and resign young players. 

Players that aren't signed for 2021 and will need to be replaced (which costs $$): 

• James Conner - Probably Not Resigned, Starting RB
  • Juju - Probably not resigned, I think a big mistake. Starting WR
  • Alejandro Villanueva - Unsure, I think replace instead of resign, Starting LT
  • Matt Feiler - Unsure, filled in pretty well, might be priced out, Starting RT
  • Tyson Alualu - Potential 3rd D-lineman/starter
  • Chris Wormley - Just traded for him, but only signed 1 year. Potential starting NT
  • Bud Dupree - Starting OLB, please don't resign him, too pricey for value
  • Mike Hilton - Starting Nickel CB, needed if we cut Haden
  • Cam Sutton - Rotational CB
  • Colquitt - Starting Punter
Basically, we've already spent too much money and thought we'd have $20+ million to spare because it was supposed to increase from $198 to $210, not decrease to $175. If Big Ben truly looks like the surgery has fixed his arm and like he could manage/succeed for another 3-4 years, I could see an extension to increase availability next year for funds. He's got a $41 mil cap hit next year. If they don't extend Big Ben next offseason, expect the team to start a complete "retool" since we don't have all that many players signed through 2022 and it would give the Steelers the chance to get cap room.

Signed for 2022 season and beyond: 

• RBs - Benny Snell and MacFarland, TBD, but both have talent.
  • WRs - Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson, lots of talent, unproven
  • FB - Derek Watt
  • TE - Zach Gentry, we'll see if he lasts til 2022
  • Offensive Line - Kevin Dotson... That's it
  • DL - Tuitt & Cam Heyward, Buggs and Carlos Davis - Decent depth there
  • LB - Devin Bush, Alex Highsmith, Ulysses Gilbert - We need to add Watt to this group, he needs to be signed long term no matter watt (sorry)
  • Secondary - Justin Layne & James Pierre, I think that Minkah might have a 5th year option too which should be a no brainer
  • Special Teams - Boswell, if he doesn't return to amazing form, I definitely see him being cut
About half the players signed through 2022 are rookies or 2nd year players, most of our large contracts end in 2021. The next 2 years will be a big decider in the next decade of the team's success, and it will be interesting to see who makes it through the 2021 salary cap hellscape. 

Where do you guys see us landing in the current season? Assuming no COVID issues since we can't really predict that at all. I think that this is probably our best shot at a deep playoff run if Ben is back to full strength since we may lose a lot of starting pieces next year. 

1. Giants - Win (A) - If we can stop the run we win by 2 scores.
  2. Broncos - Win (H) - Is Drew Lock legit? Our D could feast.
  3. Texans - Win (H) - Close game, Brandin Cooks already hurt, David Johnson washed up? Watt vs Watt.
  4. Titans - Loss (A) - Away game against a team with a great run game and solid D. I don't think we go 4-0, first loss could be here or Texans.
  5. Eagles - Win (H) - Already losing all their pass catchers, they seem to be cursed with injuries this year and have a terrible O-line.
  6. Browns - Win (H) - I think the Browns are better this year, but if Ben is healthy he leads us to a win.
  7. Ravens - Loss (A) - We lose by 3 scores and it's really ugly. Ravens are crowned the best team in the AFC. They let it go to their heads. 
  8. BYE
  9. Cowboys - Win(A) - We pull off a win on the road against one of the top NFC teams in their own stadium. Mainly via defense with a special teams TD from Diontae. 
  10. Bengals - Win (H) - Game is closer than expected with AJ Green already out for the year by week 10. But Tee Higgins, Mixon, and Boyd combine for 4 TDs in Joe Burrow's flying circus. 
  11. Jaguars - Win (A) - Easy win right? ... RIGHT? We win by 1 score against a team we should blow out on the road. 
  12. Ravens - Win (H) - We win by 3 scores dominating from the start. Our Defense gets a score and shuts down Lamar completely. 
  13. Washington - Win (H) - Washington Football Team realizes in week 12 that they might be in running for top 2 draft pick. We win by a mile. 
  14. Bills - Win (A) - Close game but the fact that Josh Allen isn't accurate at all allows us to squeak by. 
  15. Bengals - Loss (A) - Joe Burrow throws for more yards against us than any team so far this year. 
  16. Colts - Win (H) - Phillip Rivers really is done, by the end of the season his arm is shot and he throws 3 picks, 2 to Minkah. 
  17. Browns - Win (A) - Browns gonna Brown. 
Optimistic win/loss total is 13-3. Odds of it happening? Not 0. Idk where I'd put the extra losses but if our whole team somehow stays healthy, I reasonably see us with an 11-5 record getting the first wild card spot. 

Without preseason I predict a flurry of injuries over the first 3-4 weeks, so hopefully the Steelers will avoid that. 

The Steelers are being slept on. They are positioned to make a Super Bowl run. They have the best D in the league. They were great last year, but Tuitt was out and Fitz wasn't fully integrated into the team. If Ben is healthy the offense should at least be above average, but they are only 2 years removed from being a top 5 offense. 

Maybe I am being naive but I can’t imagine some sort of arraignment will not be worked out to raise the cap. I can’t see the NFL of NFLPA would want the cap to go down so much. It would be a nightmare for more teams then just the Steelers and lead to lower salaries.

i am not sure what the answer is, but I would bet something will be worked out.

Maybe I am being naive but I can’t imagine some sort of arraignment will not be worked out to raise the cap. I can’t see the NFL of NFLPA would want the cap to go down so much. It would be a nightmare for more teams then just the Steelers and lead to lower salaries.

i am not sure what the answer is, but I would bet something will be worked out.
Owners are losing money. They are going to share their pain.

Where do you guys see us landing in the current season? Assuming no COVID issues since we can't really predict that at all. I think that this is probably our best shot at a deep playoff run if Ben is back to full strength since we may lose a lot of starting pieces next year. 

2. Cowboys - Win(A) - We pull off a win on the road against one of the top NFC teams in their own stadium. Mainly via defense with a special teams TD from Diontae. 
  3. Bengals - Win (H) - Game is closer than expected with AJ Green already out for the year by week 10. But Tee Higgins, Mixon, and Boyd combine for 4 TDs in Joe Burrow's flying circus. 
  5. Bengals - Loss (A) - Joe Burrow throws for more yards against us than any team so far this year. 
Optimistic win/loss total is 13-3. Odds of it happening? Not 0. Idk where I'd put the extra losses but if our whole team somehow stays healthy, I reasonably see us with an 11-5 record getting the first wild card spot. 

Without preseason I predict a flurry of injuries over the first 3-4 weeks, so hopefully the Steelers will avoid that. 
Wait...they'll handle the Cowboys offense, but have trouble with Joe Burrow's flying circus?

Users who are viewing this thread