What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (5 Viewers)

Losing Bush is a huge deal to me. I remember what this D turned into minus Shazier.
I thought about that too, but this D has more playmakers than in 2016 or whenever Shazier got hurt.  Hopefully they can cover the loss of Bush better than the gapping hole left by Shazier.

I thought about that too, but this D has more playmakers than in 2016 or whenever Shazier got hurt.  Hopefully they can cover the loss of Bush better than the gapping hole left by Shazier.
Also, and not to freak anyone out, Robert Spillane is the complete athletic opposite of Bush according to his Player Profiler measurables.

I would have preferred to lose the game than lose Bush for the rest of the season.  I don't think the defense will completely fall apart but losing Bush is going to hurt. 

I wonder if there are any decent middle linebackers on the trading block?

Godsbrother said:
I would have preferred to lose the game than lose Bush for the rest of the season.  I don't think the defense will completely fall apart but losing Bush is going to hurt. 

I wonder if there are any decent middle linebackers on the trading block?
How much cap room do they have to add one? Eric Kendricks would be great but his cap # is $5 Million

This article from 3 weeks ago discusses it https://stillcurtain.com/2020/09/26/steelers-trade-become-unstoppable/

When I was watching the game on Sunday with a couple buddies I told them that if the game gets out of hand they should bring in Rudolph and tell the guy blocking Garrett to let him go so Rudolph could pull a "Longest Yard" and fire the ball directly at Garrett's private area.  Three plays in a row.

It didn't happen but it was fun envisioning it

Some of the random articles on the internet are suggesting Avery Williamson (budget) and Myles Jack (prime). Jack would be awesome, but he costs way more. Imagining Jack and Bush lined up next to each other for the next 3 years is really enticing, but his price would mean that we couldn't resign someone in-house.

I'm not sure we go after anyone big, but if the Def falls apart this week against Titans, I would expect us to try and make a move after that. 

There's rumors about the Steelers and Davis from Detroit, apparently Tomlin really liked him coming out of school and Detroit isn't really using him "due to Patricia's scheme". Everything I've seen from the Steelers is that they're rolling with Spillane, but we'll see if that changes if the Def has a poor showing this week. 

I honestly thought Spillane looked good in limited time last week, but I didn't break down the tape play by play. Has anyone seen an in-depth breakdown of how he did?

There's rumors about the Steelers and Davis from Detroit, apparently Tomlin really liked him coming out of school and Detroit isn't really using him "due to Patricia's scheme". Everything I've seen from the Steelers is that they're rolling with Spillane, but we'll see if that changes if the Def has a poor showing this week. 

I honestly thought Spillane looked good in limited time last week, but I didn't break down the tape play by play. Has anyone seen an in-depth breakdown of how he did?
I thought Spillane looked good too - however w/ ample time to look at the tape I'm sure TEN will find ways to exploit our ILB with their TE group.

I'd personally like to see Ulysees Gilbert in there - all reports indicated he looked great in training camp but has been a healthy scratch for most of the season (my guess is maybe due to special teams). I'm sure they'll have the ILB group in rotations with Spillane, Gilbert and Marcus Allen to make up for Bush's production.

Statement win today - awfully quiet in this thready lately.  I love the style of offense that we displayed in the first half.  The old Patriots dink and dunk and let your playmakers do their thing.  That will work against most teams in this league.  The Titans are a very good team and obviously adjusted in the 2nd half forcing Ben to make some poor throws.  So many playmakers on offense.

I am starting to get a little concerned about the defense.  The secondary is just not very good and when they're not getting pressure on the QB, they're going to be in trouble.  Can we make another trade for someone good?  Who cares about draft picks when you're picking guys like Diontae in round 3 and Claypool in round 2.   :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
fred_1_15301 said:
Statement win today - awfully quiet in this thready lately.  I love the style of offense that we displayed in the first half.  The old Patriots dink and dunk and let your playmakers do their thing.  That will work against most teams in this league.  The Titans are a very good team and obviously adjusted in the 2nd half forcing Ben to make some poor throws.  So many playmakers on offense.

I am starting to get a little concerned about the defense.  The secondary is just not very good and when they're not getting pressure on the QB, they're going to be in trouble.  Can we make another trade for someone good?  Who cares about draft picks when you're picking guys like Diontae in round 3 and Claypool in round 2.   :shrug:  
I said in the second half that bad Ben was playing that half.  Throwing into double and triple coverage downfield.  I love him having confidence in his WRs and his arm, but he was trying for the big plays when the dink and dunk was still available.  He gets impatient too much at times and wants the kill shot instead of the steady progression down the field.  

I think the Steelers have a shot at getting to the SB if he can play like he did in the first half (and help our DF stay rested), be patient and take the short passes that are available.  

🤞

Haven't looked at the standings yet but I believe we are now the only undefeated team.  And now we can say that we beat at least one good team.
I think the Steelers are a pretty good team and Super Bowl contender but there is still lots of room for improvement and the AFC has some pretty good teams we have to deal with.   

It sounds like the Steelers came away from the Tennessee relatively healthy and Hilton is expected to be back too.  We'll need to be a full strength and playing our best against the Ravens this week

I think the Steelers are a pretty good team and Super Bowl contender but there is still lots of room for improvement and the AFC has some pretty good teams we have to deal with.   

It sounds like the Steelers came away from the Tennessee relatively healthy and Hilton is expected to be back too.  We'll need to be a full strength and playing our best against the Ravens this week
Heard we might have Derek Watt back too. Unfortunately, since the Ravens had a bye, they were able to get more healthy too. Andrews and Ingram might have missed the game if we played last week, and they wouldn't have had Ngakue yet. 

Hopefully we can avoid allowing splash plays to the Ravens. We let up a 75 yard TD to the Eagles and 77 yard TD to the Titans, Lamar is primed to take advantage of a play like that. 

Also, Ben was a bit off in the 2nd half. On the last pick he had WRs open underneath that could have easily gotten a first down and pretty much wrapped up the game, but he threw into double/triple coverage instead and it got popped up. Also, I get passing to other WRs more, but it seems like Claypool came off the field a lot. Wonder why he wasn't used more as a distraction at least.

We've got the NFC east representing 3 of the 4 teams on primtime this week and somehow the Ravens/Steelers game is at 1:00    :loco:

I can't believe they put the Eagles and Cowboys as the SNF game.. LOL

That said, Romo and Nantz are doing the Steelers/Ravens game, so it won't get flexed out as it's the CBS Game of the week.

Great win and a must win.   

These next 3 games are going to be very interesting.  The Cowboys are awful and frankly the kind of team Tomlin loses to.  The Bengals are way better than their record.  The Jags shouldn't be an issue but they have struggled too.   10-0 is very possible but as long as they are ahead of Ravens it isn't that important

Great win and a must win.   

These next 3 games are going to be very interesting.  The Cowboys are awful and frankly the kind of team Tomlin loses to.  The Bengals are way better than their record.  The Jags shouldn't be an issue but they have struggled too.   10-0 is very possible but as long as they are ahead of Ravens it isn't that important
No way the Steelers lose to the Cowboys or the Jags with backup, or backup to backup QBs. The Bengals can move the ball, so they might be able to keep up with the Steelers, for a time.

No way the Steelers lose to the Cowboys or the Jags with backup, or backup to backup QBs. The Bengals can move the ball, so they might be able to keep up with the Steelers, for a time.
I think the Steelers win all 3.  Although the Heyward injury looked a little serious so that could hurt the defense.  Jags and Cowboys are atrocious. Bengals are good but the Steelers should be able to get to Burrow all day.  

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets and Steelers are "working towards" completing a trade for ILB Avery Williamson. 

The Steelers are two weeks removed from losing Devin Bush to a torn ACL, and the 0-8 Jets are more tanked than ever. Compensation won't be more than a Day 3 pick, but 28-year-old Williamson has been providing decent-ish snaps since returning from a torn ACL of his own. The Jets could trade multiple players over the next 48 hours. 

Boone22 said:
The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets and Steelers are "working towards" completing a trade for ILB Avery Williamson. 

The Steelers are two weeks removed from losing Devin Bush to a torn ACL, and the 0-8 Jets are more tanked than ever. Compensation won't be more than a Day 3 pick, but 28-year-old Williamson has been providing decent-ish snaps since returning from a torn ACL of his own. The Jets could trade multiple players over the next 48 hours. 
Done deal reportedly...Avery Williamson and a 2022 seventh-round pick to the Steelers for a 2022 fifth-round pick, The Post’s Brian Costello confirmed.

fred_1_15301 said:
Do we really need to throw in a "decent-ish" snaps player mid season?  I'd rather stick with what we have.   :shrug:  
Avery Williamson is quite an upgrade for basically very little cost. Colbert continues to do outstanding work. It’s honestly crazy to me he hasn’t gotten more praise. He had to shed, what I believe to be, the largest cap hit ever in AB last season to now being undefeated through 8 weeks in 2020. 

Any NFL team is capable of beating another on any given week but I do like our chances with against Dallas and Jacksonville.   The Bengals defense is not great but the offense can put up some points.  They should not be taken lightly.

Spillane has played exceptionally well but the Steelers can use all the ILB help they can get.
Gilbert has a back injury, that's why he wasn't active this week. A back injury also kept him out last year, wonder if it's serious so we have almost 0 depth behind Spillane. I'm quite happy that we got a player who's averaging 8 tackles a game to either rotate in or be a backup. 

A lot of flack has been laid at Spillane's feet for the terrible run defense this week by talking heads, but I think that has more to do with switching from Alualu (#1 rated run defender in the entire NFL, to Buggs). Buggs was out of position over and over in the 1st half and allowed the D to get dominated. In the 2nd half he played much better, and even made some crucial stops. I hope that Alualu's and Cam Heyward's injuries aren't serious. But if there's a game they might be ok to miss it's probably against the Cowboys.

If we can pressure the QB and stop Zeke next week, we should be fine. That said, teams often lose if they're on the road 3 or more weeks, and the Cowboys will be the 3rd road game in a row. I hope the team doesn't come off the highs of beating the Titans and Ravens and drop a game to a team they should beat by 21+. 

1. Giants - Win (A) - If we can stop the run we win by 2 scores.
  2. Broncos - Win (H) - Is Drew Lock legit? Our D could feast.
  3. Texans - Win (H) - Close game, Brandin Cooks already hurt, David Johnson washed up? Watt vs Watt.
  4. Titans - Loss (A) - Away game against a team with a great run game and solid D. I don't think we go 4-0, first loss could be here or Texans.
  5. Eagles - Win (H) - Already losing all their pass catchers, they seem to be cursed with injuries this year and have a terrible O-line.
  6. Browns - Win (H) - I think the Browns are better this year, but if Ben is healthy he leads us to a win.
  7. Ravens - Loss (A) - We lose by 3 scores and it's really ugly. Ravens are crowned the best team in the AFC. They let it go to their heads. 
  8. BYE
  9. Cowboys - Win(A) - We pull off a win on the road against one of the top NFC teams in their own stadium. Mainly via defense with a special teams TD from Diontae. 
  10. Bengals - Win (H) - Game is closer than expected with AJ Green already out for the year by week 10. But Tee Higgins, Mixon, and Boyd combine for 4 TDs in Joe Burrow's flying circus. 
  11. Jaguars - Win (A) - Easy win right? ... RIGHT? We win by 1 score against a team we should blow out on the road. 
  12. Ravens - Win (H) - We win by 3 scores dominating from the start. Our Defense gets a score and shuts down Lamar completely. 
  13. Washington - Win (H) - Washington Football Team realizes in week 12 that they might be in running for top 2 draft pick. We win by a mile. 
  14. Bills - Win (A) - Close game but the fact that Josh Allen isn't accurate at all allows us to squeak by. 
  15. Bengals - Loss (A) - Joe Burrow throws for more yards against us than any team so far this year. 
  16. Colts - Win (H) - Phillip Rivers really is done, by the end of the season his arm is shot and he throws 3 picks, 2 to Minkah. 
  17. Browns - Win (A) - Browns gonna Brown. 
Couldn't be happier that my preseason prediction was wrong, we got wins at the Titans and Ravens that I'm still a little surprised about, but pleasantly so. Updating predictions for the rest of the season. 

• Cowboys - Win(A) - We'll be facing Andy Dalton or his backup, and the Cowboys D has been really weak. Should be a win, but type of game we lose in seasons past. 
  • Bengals - Win (H) - Game is closer than expected, but we're able to win with our D getting some turnovers against the Rookie, though Higgins goes off against us. Helps that we're finally back home. 
  • Jaguars - Win (A) - Easy win right? ... RIGHT? We win by 1 score against a team we should blow out on the road. (Unchanged)
  • Ravens - Win (H) - Ravens come to Pittsburgh pissed off about the week 8 game. We win, but it's a last second affair with a long bomb TD, or a FG as time expires. 
  • Washington - Win (H) - Washington Football Team realizes in week 12 that they might be in running for top 2 draft pick. We win by a mile. (Unchanged)
  • Bills - Loss (A) - By this time the Bills look real bad and are playing terrible. All projections pick the Steelers to win. We lose due to turnovers and giving up splash plays. Tomlin and players say "We needed this loss to get our heads on straight." Everyone is sad about losing out on perfect year, but some of the pressure is lifted.  
  • Bengals - Loss (A) - Joe Burrow throws for more yards against us than any team so far this year. People start to really worry.
  • Colts - Win (H) - We beat the Colts into the ground. Win by 21+ and dominate one of the AFC contenders. 
  • Browns - Win (A) - We crush the Browns, playing angry with people underestimating the Steelers again. 
The Chiefs get the Bye week with 2 losses but 1 against the NFC. Steelers face the Dolphins in round 1 and win easily. They face the Titans in round 2 but Henry misses the game forcing Tannehill to carry the team, and he can't. Steelers win by 2 scores. Since the Titans were ranked 3rd (Steelers 2nd), the Ravens face the Chiefs and knock them off. Steelers face Ravens in Pittsburgh for AFC Championship and complete the holy trinity beating the Ravens 3 times in 1 year before facing the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. Rematch storylines abound.  

Andy Dalton has been ruled out of the game.  So it is Denucci at QB this Sunday.  Poor *******

My only concern is that these of the games Tomlin gets complacent about.  We have all seen Tomlin lose to terrible quarterbacks.  The Terrell Pryor game is my worst.  Although Pryor is probably better than Denucci based on the two games I have seen.

My only concern is that these of the games Tomlin gets complacent about.
I will be shocked if the Steelers lose to the Cowboys this week.  The mismatch between the Steelers defense and the Cowboys offense is WAY too big for them to have a let down.  Their Oline is in shambles and Duck Hodges is better than Denucci or whatever his name is.  Also, the DAL pass defense hasn't been very good which the Steelers will be able to take advantage of.  I realize "any given Sunday" and all that along with the history, but I just don't see it this week.

I will be shocked if the Steelers lose to the Cowboys this week.  The mismatch between the Steelers defense and the Cowboys offense is WAY too big for them to have a let down.  Their Oline is in shambles and Duck Hodges is better than Denucci or whatever his name is.  Also, the DAL pass defense hasn't been very good which the Steelers will be able to take advantage of.  I realize "any given Sunday" and all that along with the history, but I just don't see it this week.
Barring serious injuries I also don't see the Steelers losing to Dallas this week.  They'll be able to shut down the Cowboys running game and with Dalton out I don't think their passing game is anything to worry about

The Steelers shouldn't just win this week, they should blow the Cowboys away. The next 3 weeks, Cowboys, Bengals, Jags, these are teams with nothing to lose. Get up big and keep the pedal to the metal, don't let them think they have hope or a chance to knock us off. It's teams with nothing to lose that can shock. One problem we had in the past was letting bad teams hang around, and then one turnover by us, or a splash play by them, and we'd lose. 

Also, why the heck do the Steelers keep putting in Snell at the goal line and taking out Conner?! Conner rushes for like 3-5 a carry, then they get to the 1 and they give it to Snell and he gets stuffed most of the time. Why not keep in the guy who is getting yardage? Makes 0 sense to me. 

And lastly, it seems like our OC has almost 0 situational awareness. Big play and we get down near the 1, Ben wants to hurry up, and the OC sends in a new package so the Def can also sub. What the heck? Hurry up and you'll be facing the D without their big bodies on the field. It wasn't surprising when the Team started to gel in the no huddle when Ben directs the offense. I am fully doubting that Fichtner makes our team better. 

Andy Dalton has been ruled out of the game.  So it is Denucci at QB this Sunday.  Poor *******

My only concern is that these of the games Tomlin gets complacent about.  We have all seen Tomlin lose to terrible quarterbacks.  The Terrell Pryor game is my worst.  Although Pryor is probably better than Denucci based on the two games I have seen.
Now looking like it won't even be DiNucci--he's being benched in favor one of their practice squad QBs who haven't even been there a month. 

Now looking like it won't even be DiNucci--he's being benched in favor one of their practice squad QBs who haven't even been there a month. 
Cooper Rush was the last I heard. At this point DiNucci has more starting time than Rush or the other guy. Hopefully the Steelers can bully the Cowboys, minimize our turnovers, and stop their run game. 

Alualu officially out, so our Run D won't be as good as it's been through the first 6 games, but hopefully Buggs continues his play from the 2nd half of last week. A marked improvement over the first half. 

Cooper Rush was the last I heard. At this point DiNucci has more starting time than Rush or the other guy. Hopefully the Steelers can bully the Cowboys, minimize our turnovers, and stop their run game. 

Alualu officially out, so our Run D won't be as good as it's been through the first 6 games, but hopefully Buggs continues his play from the 2nd half of last week. A marked improvement over the first half. 
This game will be over by half

I'm just wondering if I play both JuJu and Conner

Nobody plays down to the level of their competition like a Mike Tomlin coached team.  He has about 2 or 3 of these a year. 

A comeback like this is something we don't usually see in games like that from Tomlin against awful teams.   Wasn't pretty but a win is a win

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup a win is a win.  They were coming off a very tough, emotional win against the Ravens so I'll take it.  In the past few years, this is the type of game they lose.  
Yeah, i will gladly take it though it was really ugly. Any news on injuries besides Ben? Btw, i was certain he was out after seeing the replay and how his knee buckled. 

Users who are viewing this thread