What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (7 Viewers)

The 3 consecutive three-and-outs in the second half hurt but it was the defense that lost this game. Without Watt they just suck: can't stop the run, don't generate pressure and can't cover.

Mitch has graded as an average NFL starter in both games this year. That is with terrible play calling. There is no chance Pickett can match that. I am still skeptical his career ceiling is that let alone his rookie play.
Pickett might be worse than Mitch, but it would be nice to figure that out ASAP since we have to make QB decisions moving forward. Mitch is not the long term answer in Pittsburgh. He was paid like a backup and the Steelers used a 1st round pick on a QB. Most people seem to be assuming that Pickett will start at some point during the season, why delay the inevitable?

Tomlin always says he doesn't live in his fears, but his actions are usually very conservative/cautious. There is sometimes benefit to staying the course and giving time to develop, but sometimes people show you who they are and what they're capable of, and you should believe them.
Most people think that. But Tomlin doesn't. As always, he is coaching to win
If he was coaching to win Trubisky would be on the bench. He is terrible.
Just imagine a team interviewing him at the combine and saying, Mitch is our guy, then trading up a spot to ensure that. To double-down on that move, you don’t interview Pat Mahomes.

Welcome to the Chicago Bears world.

Mitch has graded as an average NFL starter in both games this year. That is with terrible play calling. There is no chance Pickett can match that. I am still skeptical his career ceiling is that let alone his rookie play.
Pickett might be worse than Mitch, but it would be nice to figure that out ASAP since we have to make QB decisions moving forward. Mitch is not the long term answer in Pittsburgh. He was paid like a backup and the Steelers used a 1st round pick on a QB. Most people seem to be assuming that Pickett will start at some point during the season, why delay the inevitable?

Tomlin always says he doesn't live in his fears, but his actions are usually very conservative/cautious. There is sometimes benefit to staying the course and giving time to develop, but sometimes people show you who they are and what they're capable of, and you should believe them.
Just imagine a team interviewing him at the combine and saying, Mitch is our guy, then trading up a spot to ensure that. To double-down on that move, you don’t interview Pat Mahomes.

Had the Bears drafted Mahomes, they probably would have found a way to **** that up too..

Of course I turned it on with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. Sorry guys. It's my fault -- what I watched was brutal on both sides of the ball. DJ drop was terrible.

Offense in no-huddle was the only thing that looked promising . . . . funny how that was also the case last season.

Of course I turned it on with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. Sorry guys. It's my fault -- what I watched was brutal on both sides of the ball. DJ drop was terrible.

Offense in no-huddle was the only thing that looked promising . . . . funny how that was also the case last season.
I don't see how anyone could doubt that Canada is the problem. His scheme is awful, but his play calling is worse.

Had the Bears drafted Mahomes, they probably would have found a way to **** that up too..
No doubt

I don't see how anyone could doubt that Canada is the problem. His scheme is awful, but his play calling is worse.
Canada is ONE problem. The defense, without Watt, stinks -- that was the biggest problem last night: they couldn't get off the field.

Mitch looked decent at times, but we went 3 and out too often. Also, those passes over the middle to Muth were there all game, especially after BOTH of their LBs went down. Not sure if that is more Canada's fault or Mitch's, probably a combo.
For sure my biggest complain about Mitch is lack of using middle of the field. Like you I don't know if it's him or the coaching but it's a problem. He took more deep shots this game but they are constantly sideline deep shots, safer throws with super high degree of difficulty. It just won't work as a consistent means of moving the football or scoring points.

And for visual evidence please see this laughable chart at halftime of Mitch's throws: https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1573125448628056064/photo/1

That chart only looks mildly better at end of the game because they decided to use Friermuth on that last drive.

For the night games (and sometimes day) I often DVR the game and then catchup to Live because I need to get the kids to bed etc. With Amazon doing a Live Stream, am I able to Watch From Start or am I going to click the Live Stream and just be watching in Real Time at whatever time I can get downstairs?
I'm huge on recording games and watching the on my own time. So saying that I'm super down on the switch to Amazon. They do provide a record feature but it's horrendous.

On 3 different occasions last night when trying to FF it froze and reverted me to beginning of the telecast which required ardous process of a super slow FF of multiple hours of the telecast to catch up.

With about 4 minutes left in the game I tried to rewind to watch a play over and again it froze up and reverted me to the beginning. I almost just quit instead of trying to FF through 4 hours of the telecast.

And for the record my internet is strong and I was using a PS5 so not sure what else I can do.

Even if it did not freeze the lack of a 30 second FF button, which is almost perfect for football, is super annoying getting through commercials. And maybe that's how Amazon wants it.

Mitch looked decent at times, but we went 3 and out too often. Also, those passes over the middle to Muth were there all game, especially after BOTH of their LBs went down. Not sure if that is more Canada's fault or Mitch's, probably a combo.
For sure my biggest complain about Mitch is lack of using middle of the field. Like you I don't know if it's him or the coaching but it's a problem. He took more deep shots this game but they are constantly sideline deep shots, safer throws with super high degree of difficulty. It just won't work as a consistent means of moving the football or scoring points.

And for visual evidence please see this laughable chart at halftime of Mitch's throws: https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1573125448628056064/photo/1

That chart only looks mildly better at end of the game because they decided to use Friermuth on that last drive.
It isn't Mitch. It is the offense. Last year was the same thing.

Canada is ONE problem. The defense, without Watt, stinks -- that was the biggest problem last night: they couldn't get off the field.
Stinks is way too strong. The Browns have a great run game. The D was clearly gassed late, but that was really also Canada's fault. Even with that 23 points is not a bad performance.

The Panthers scored 24 against the Browns. The Jets scored 31. If only we were as good as the Panthers and Jets we would have won.

16 teams last year averaged more than 23 points a game. Our D would have been good enough for half the league to win even without our star, I'm ok with that. If our offense was league average we would have won. Instead it's been abysmal for 3 weeks and our D has been on the field forever and ever and ever and ever. Everyone wears down, and the Steelers D came into week 3 with the 3rd most time on the field in the NFL.

What happened. I turned the game off last night when Chubb ran for what I thought was a first down on 3rd and 1 with the game winding down. They brought out the sticks. First down. Steelers had no timeouts. Less than a minute remaining. Steelers +7.5 was secure. I turned off the TV. I wake up this morning, and I discover Cleveland scored another TD. What?!

What happened. I turned the game off last night when Chubb ran for what I thought was a first down on 3rd and 1 with the game winding down. They brought out the sticks. First down. Steelers had no timeouts. Less than a minute remaining. Steelers +7.5 was secure. I turned off the TV. I wake up this morning, and I discover Cleveland scored another TD. What?!

Steelers tried the old underneath pass and laterals play that has never worked in the NFL, and they fumbled/lateraled into the end zone and the Browns scored a TD

Steelers tried the old underneath pass and laterals play that has never worked in the NFL, and they fumbled/lateraled into the end zone and the Browns scored a TD
Thanks. How did the Steelers even get the ball back? Was there a booth review on the spot? I tried watching the final minute on NFL Network, and the end of the game cuts off!

The Steelers defense has given up 20, 17, and now 23 points in the first three games. And that’s with a gassed defense because the offense can’t sustain drives. The offense needs to get to 24. They should be 2-1 at worst. These losses are squarely on the offense. To say the defense stinks is laughable. They were other-worldly in week 1. Now without Watt, they are merely good.

The Steelers defense has given up 20, 17, and now 23 points in the first three games. And that’s with a gassed defense because the offense can’t sustain drives. The offense needs to get to 24. They should be 2-1 at worst. These losses are squarely on the offense. To say the defense stinks is laughable. They were other-worldly in week 1. Now without Watt, they are merely good.
The Steelers are playing poorly on offense and defense.

The Steelers are playing poorly on offense and defense.
I mean, the defense isn't playing that poorly. If you don't count the lateral TD in Cleveland, and you take off the 10 yard muffed punt TD, then the Steelers are averaging allowing 17.7 pts per game. This would place them 8th in the league. The main issue with our team still appears to be offense, which forced the D onto the field too much and lets them get gassed. Our run stopping needs to improve, but that usually opens up late, correlating to when the team would be wearing down after lots of offensive 3 and outs.

Mitch isn't the issue.. No Run Game. Najae looks like he is going to be a bust, at this point Warren looks better.

Dionte continues to have huge drops, the contract they gave him was crazy, especially since they drafted two WR and both could be better in time.

The OL hasn't even played that bad, but Canada stinks. Canada gave Tomlin's kid a scholie, so Tomlin won't can him.

Still hoping Tomlin decides to give Kenny a shot. I think Mitch has a chance to beat the Jets lead by Wilson, but then it's all downhill. If Mitch plays the whole game against the Jets, then I would assume he plays at least until the bye and doesn't win another game.

I think we end the season 4-13 if Mitch plays the whole time, unless the Defense wins us a few games like they did against the Bengals, after Watt comes back.

Mitch isn't the issue.. No Run Game. Najae looks like he is going to be a bust, at this point Warren looks better.

Dionte continues to have huge drops, the contract they gave him was crazy, especially since they drafted two WR and both could be better in time.

The OL hasn't even played that bad, but Canada stinks. Canada gave Tomlin's kid a scholie, so Tomlin won't can him.
The OL has definitely improved since the pre-season, but if you think Mitch isn't a serious issue you're not watching the games. He's not the only issue, but he's a serious issue, and he's part of the reason the running game is stalling. Teams are stacking the box because they don't fear Mitch throwing more than 10 yards down field.

Najee has looked rough, but he was hurt in training camp, and then hurt the other foot in the 1st game. It appears that he's not 100% and is a bit more hesitant as a result. I agree that Warren has looked better the last 2 games, but teams also face off against a backup differently than they do against the main RB. It's why sometimes backup RBs come in and get chunk gains while the lead RB is fighting hard for any yardage.

The OL has definitely improved since the pre-season, but if you think Mitch isn't a serious issue you're not watching the games. He's not the only issue, but he's a serious issue, and he's part of the reason the running game is stalling. Teams are stacking the box because they don't fear Mitch throwing more than 10 yards down field.

Najee has looked rough, but he was hurt in training camp, and then hurt the other foot in the 1st game. It appears that he's not 100% and is a bit more hesitant as a result. I agree that Warren has looked better the last 2 games, but teams also face off against a backup differently than they do against the main RB. It's why sometimes backup RBs come in and get chunk gains while the lead RB is fighting hard for any yardage.
Mitch has played better each week. Do you really think we lose to the Browns cause of him? He has bad drops, and a coach who didn't put him the position to win.

Mitch has played better each week. Do you really think we lose to the Browns cause of him? He has bad drops, and a coach who didn't put him the position to win.
Yes. He has a poor OC, but he makes poor decisions and is inaccurate. Don't you think it's odd that our WRs have to make incredible one handed catches just to get receptions? Or that the WRs will run a route, watch the ball sail out of bounds not even close, and throw up their hands in frustration? The OC isn't missing those throws. Some of them are challenging, but they should be regularly doable for a professional QB.

Mitch is a backup QB, being paid like a backup QB, who should return to being a backup QB. If the Steelers don't think Kenny is better than Mitch, they should still play him at least 9-10 games this year. If this team continues to play similar to how they have in the first 3 weeks then we need to know if Kenny is the long term answer because we'll have a high pick that maybe should be used on another QB.

The worst case scenario is that Mitch plays all year, the Steelers don't see Kenny in enough action to truly evaluate him, and we draft high but don't take a potential franchise QB.

Best case scenario is that Kenny turns things around immediately after getting the starting gig. Second best scenario is Kenny looks like the real deal but we still lose for whatever reason, high draft pick and we trade back getting multiple 1sts. I'm still holding out hope for turning this season around and making a push, but I don't think Mitch's dink and dunk can do it.

Will we beat the Jets?
No, not even after 10 days to prepare.

As for Pickett, he did provide some spark, but one int was a badly underthrown ball, and the other was a decision you just don't make as a QB.

He showed some good, but also some bad. People need to stop thinking he's the savior. The offense is still small ball. If anything, he can hit the seams much better than MT, but the deep game won't magically appear. He will be making more mistakes though, so that's the risk with a rookie.

Matt Canada is the main issue on offense. Sooner or later, that needs to be addressed by Tomlin.

Will we beat the Jets?

As for Pickett, he did provide some spark, but one int was a badly underthrown ball, and the other was a decision you just don't make as a QB.

He showed some good, but also some bad. People need to stop thinking he's the savior. The offense is still small ball. If anything, he can hit the seams much better than MT, but the deep game won't magically appear. He will be making more mistakes though, so that's the risk with a rookie.

Matt Canada is the main issue on offense. Sooner or later, that needs to be addressed by Tomlin.
The dude was in his second quarter of his first game. Clam down.

Dude making passes 25-30 yards down field is better then Trubisky. I honestly believe we be 3-1 with him as starter, we play him in 1st half today, we win, we play him vs NE we win.

Clownbisky has been that bad.

KENNY!

We lost the game, but I'm so glad he's in. His first pick was bad, but the 2nd one hit Muth directly in his hands and he popped it up like a volleyball for an easy pick. That 2nd TD felt like vintage Ben. And some of those passes, especially to Pickens, looked really good.

Through 3.5 games Mitch lead 4 TD drives; through 1 half Kenny lead 2. Granted, one was from really close, but the Steelers had failed to score goal-to-go several times.

We scored 6 pts in the first half and 14 points in the 2nd half. Who knows what could have happened if Kenny started both halves, or better yet, vs the Pats and Browns. But thank goodness he's in there. I honestly didn't think it would happen until the Bye at best.

My biggest issue is Harris and the D.. The D just isn't good. I know we miss Watt, but even with him, we aren't good.

Harris doesn't look like a guy a team can lean on, hopefully he can pick it up, but at times Warren has looked better.

He showed some good, but also some bad. People need to stop thinking he's the savior.
The main difference so far is that he's more decisive, willing to stand in the pocket and deliver (see Muth completion where Pickett got crushed), and he seems to already be able to tell when to take off vs Mitch.

Also, I'm actually excited to watch next week's game because it feels like something might happen. Instead of guaranteeing ~1.25 TD drives per game and repeated 5 yard passes.

Is he a QB Savior, most likely not; does he already seem better than Mitch, I think so.

My biggest issue is Harris and the D.. The D just isn't good. I know we miss Watt, but even with him, we aren't good.

Harris doesn't look like a guy a team can lean on, hopefully he can pick it up, but at times Warren has looked better.
Except that pitch where he fumbled and we lost 5. He has to work on hands a bit.

Will we beat the Jets?

Dude making passes 25-30 yards down field is better then Trubisky. I honestly believe we be 3-1 with him as starter, we play him in 1st half today, we win, we play him vs NE we win.

I always love the shoulda woulda coulda comments. Every team can claim the same with bounces going their way, or injuries of course.

They are 1-3, so that's what it is.

Will we beat the Jets?

I always love the shoulda woulda coulda comments. Every team can claim the same with bounces going their way, or injuries of course.

They are 1-3, so that's what it is.
And with the right QB could be 2-2 or 3-1. and that is on the HC for not starting the guy everyone knew should have started after camp.

Diontae Johnson on Kenny Pickett postgame:
“When he came in we were just more efficient. You could see the energy. He played with swag. That makes us want to play for him. We have to get him better, and prepare for next week.”

That play where he delivered a perfect pass to the tight end whilst getting drilled, that was pretty good.
He is good down the seams. He has that over MT for sure.
Also back shoulder will be money to Pickens. I dont think Mitch knows what that is.
Pickett's ball placement is much better for sure. His main question is arm strength, and his decision making at times, especially if his first read is covered. He is best in the short to intermediate game. Like I said before, don't expect too much of a deep game.

Why are we even comparing Pickett to Trubisky? If that’s the bar, we are in big trouble. I’m glad Tomlin made the decision to move on with the future. Let’s see what we got.

Definitely ready for Pickett to take over because we needed a spark, even if it was too little too late.

The Steelers aren't a very good team right now and entering in the toughest part of the schedule. This is likely to get pretty ugly regardless who is behind center.

I know its way to early but they're sitting on the third pick in the draft right now and if not for a long snapper getting hurt they'd have the first.

Users who are viewing this thread