What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (4 Viewers)

It sounds like William Jackson III might get cut by the Commanders. He's best in Man Coverage, any chance we sign him? We could 1000% use CB help, but he's been out injured.

It’s ridiculous that Canada is still here. If I was that bad at my job, I would be canned.
Anyone would have been let go at the end of last year...

Who would we want as the new OC? Possible candidates:
  • Marcus Brady - just fired from Colts, was thought of as a possible HC candidate after last year
  • Bobby Slowik - 49ers passing game coordinator, the Shanahan tree is strong

I'm fine with the move. The Steelers are going to need all the picks we can get next season. I'm not sure if it's the Bears or Ravens second round pick.

It's not going to help this pathetic offense this year though,

I'm fine with the move. The Steelers are going to need all the picks we can get next season. It is for the Bear's second 2nd round pick next season, which I think came from the Ravens.

I just saw on Steelers Depot, that according to Rapoport, it is the Bears original 2nd rounder. Someone else was saying previously it was the Ravens pick that the Bears just traded for.

Claypool to the Bears for a 2nd rounder.
Guess I'd take that too but sure would have liked to had him with a competent OC.
And apparently it is the Ravens' pick.
Updated, it's the Bears' pick (currently pick 44).

Also, definitely ok with this trade. His rookie year he seemed poised to explode into the NFL, but he's not very reliable. We used a 2nd to get him, and traded him for a 2nd. It's a wash, and we likely would have lost him to FA after next year, and only gotten a 4th or 5th as a comp pick.

Makes WR more of a need in this upcoming draft even if Calvin Austin works out.

I'm fine with the move. The Steelers are going to need all the picks we can get next season. It is for the Bear's second 2nd round pick next season, which I think came from the Ravens.

I just saw on Steelers Depot, that according to Rapoport, it is the Bears original 2nd rounder. Someone else was saying previously it was the Ravens pick that the Bears just traded for.
Yeah I updated my post to say that I am not sure which it is. Hopefully the Bears

Yeah I updated my post to say that I am not sure which it is. Hopefully the Bears
Per rotoworld it is the Ravens 2nd…per Albert Breer

Jackson: $3.1 million for the rest of this season. Then $12.75 million next season. He's 30, it could work out similar to Haden, extend him ~2 years, have him for 2023-2025, and then let him move on. Or, if he's not good through the rest of this year, trade or cut.

Jackson: $3.1 million for the rest of this season. Then $12.75 million next season. He's 30, it could work out similar to Haden, extend him ~2 years, have him for 2023-2025, and then let him move on. Or, if he's not good through the rest of this year, trade or cut.
Why was he about to be cut though?

Why was he about to be cut though?
Because he's a man-to-man corner and the Commanders put him in zone 100% of the time. He definitely has strengths and weaknesses, and the Commanders scheme fed into his weaknesses. Also, he's injured and 30 at a position that doesn't age well typically. He could be completely washed, but it's a low stakes trade (at least upon initial reporting).

We definitely need CB help and he might be able to help, and is easy to cut before next season if he's not good.

2025 6th to Wash, and 2025 7th to Steelers, so no draft capital involved really, just the salary. He can void the deal next year, but why pass on $12M? IDK is he's any good or just wont complain all the time while here. We'll see.

Taking on Commanders salary cap hit and give up some draft capital. Looks like a double W for Washington. They would have cut him and been stuck.

Claypool was a bigger threat than lazy route running DJ. Counter intuitive move to improve the worst offense in the NFL. Technically have to wait and see what that 2nd rounder returns, but it feels like another L. 0-2 in trades

Apparently the initial reports were wrong and it is the Bears 2nd round pick. Not the pick they got from the Ravens. Seemed to confusion on this earlier.

We don’t know what happens behind closed doors…Claypool may have asked for a trade. Either way, I am happy with a high-mid 2nd for him.

The Claypool trade gives lots of options for the draft next year. They can use it to move up to a higher 1, package up their 2’s to get another 1 or stay pat and have potentially 3 picks in the the top 40-50

Free George Pickens
Pickens has been one of the worst receivers in the league at getting open. He needs to do some work to free himself

Even when he is covered, he is open (according to him).
just like every other WR that has ever played
But also, kinda true?

His "incompletion" last game would have been a catch if it was challenged.
The one on the sideline? My recollection is that he only had one foot in bounds before he was forced out by the defender.

The Claypool trade gives lots of options for the draft next year. They can use it to move up to a higher 1, package up their 2’s to get another 1 or stay pat and have potentially 3 picks in the the top 40-50
They are probably at the stage where they need a lot of talent more than a difference maker. As well as they draft, it’s a great chance to rebuild the OL.

Free George Pickens
Pickens has been one of the worst receivers in the league at getting open. He needs to do some work to free himself

But also, kinda true?

The one on the sideline? My recollection is that he only had one foot in bounds before he was forced out by the defender.
No, the one where he twisted with the ball, landed in bounds, then the defender punched it out after he clearly had possession. Romo and Nance said it looked like a catch, and Gene confirmed he thought it was too.

Free George Pickens

But also, kinda true?

No, the one where he twisted with the ball, landed in bounds, then the defender punched it out after he clearly had possession. Romo and Nance said it looked like a catch, and Gene confirmed he thought it was too.
Ah yes forgot about that one. That was pretty close, I could see it being called either way,

They are probably at the stage where they need a lot of talent more than a difference maker. As well as they draft, it’s a great chance to rebuild the OL.
And by the time it is rebuilt, our rookie QB will be 30 years old.

We're in a rough spot next year too. Lots of FAs; Bush, Spillane, Reed, Sutton, Edmunds, Wormley, Marcus Allen, Kazee, Ogunjobi, Alualu, Long Snapper, Gentry, Boykin, Sims Jr., Derek Watt, Snell, Mason Rudolph.

Some of them definitely have not played great, but it will still cost money to replace them, and we're currently only $16 mil under the projected cap. We can probably clear $30-40 million through cuts and restructures and extensions, but just signing players to fill holes doesn't leave a ton to sign new guys to improve at positions.

One of the issues is that we're going to be paying 1/3 of the salary cap to 3 players on Defense. It's great to have stars on defense, but losing 1 to injury has been crippling and the lack of talent elsewhere becomes apparent. Teams just game plan to avoid Minkah and Cam.

Offensive players in the top 10 in salary cap space include Mitch (to be traded or cut), Diontae (seemingly underperforming, scheme or individual issue TBD), and 3 offensive linemen. Granted, those 3 linemen are definitely our best 3 at Daniels, Chuks, and Cole, with Dotson and Moore performing even more poorly.

Offseason Moves:
  • Re-sign Cam Sutton
  • Move Mitch to save $8 mil
  • Cut/Trade/Extend William Jackson to reduce $12.75 mil cap hit
  • Cut Akhello Witherspoon to save $4 mil
  • Re-sign Mason or get a backup QB from somewhere (or Kenny is the backup if we go QB in the 1st)
  • Re-sign Boykin, small contract, excellent special teams player
  • Re-sign Gentry, cheap contract
  • Re-sign Edmunds, he's not ideal but re-signing him would allow S to be less of a priority
  • Re-sign Kazee depending on 2nd half of season performance
  • Re-sign Kuntz for cheap contract
  • Improve/Add to OL, DL, ILB, CB
  • Khan hire OC from outside organization

And by the time it is rebuilt, our rookie QB will be 30 years old.
Or beaten to a pulp

Users who are viewing this thread