What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (5 Viewers)

Encouraging news about Ogunjobi:

Larry Ogunjobi shows Steelers — and himself — that his injured foot is ready to go​

Post-practice media interviews at Steelers training camp certainly aren’t Mike Tomlin’s favorite part of the day. But after Monday’s workout at Latrobe Memorial Stadium, an ear-to-ear grin slowly crept across Tomlin’s face when he realized one of the questions was about Larry Ogunjobi’s debut.

“It didn’t take long for his presence to be felt,” said the beaming head coach.

Tomlin was talking about Ogunjobi’s first two team reps on Monday — the first two in a Steelers uniform for the recently signed defensive lineman.

Ogunjobi had yet to take part in team drills over the first two weeks of training camp as the club made sure his surgically repaired foot was 100% ready to respond to full contact.

Based on what Ogunjobi showed yesterday, it is. The free agent from Cincinnati made a tackle in the backfield on his first snap of a live team running drill. On the second snap, he broke through the line and helped bust that play, too.

Ogunjobi’s flashy start drew raucous cheers from his new teammates on the defensive side of the field.

“It was just good to get back out there,” Ogunjobi said after practice. “It’s been a long rehab, a long process. I’m just glad to get back out there and do what I love again.”

Ogunjobi’s last competitive snap was in the first win of the Cincinnati Bengals playoff run last winter. He was carted off the field during the Bengals’ 26-19 wild-card victory over the Raiders with a Lisfranc injury that would later require surgery. The recovery was significant enough that the Chicago Bears negated their $40 million contract offer after he failed a physical in March.

So Ogunjobi went back on the open market, and he stayed there until the Steelers signed him in June for the much less risky price tag of $8 million for this year alone. After proceeding with caution throughout much of camp in terms of how much (or how little) the Steelers wanted Ogunjobi to do, he now wants to prove that signing him was a worthwhile roll of the dice.

“When you think too much, or when you play apprehensive, that’s when you get hurt,” Ogunjobi said. “So it’s a lot easier to just go. See how it responds. See how it feels. After that first tackle, you move it around a little bit, make sure it’s still alright. But it felt good.”

Ogunjobi is a huge part of the equation when it comes to replacing Stephon Tuitt at defensive end. Not just in the run game, as he showed Monday. But in the pass rush department as well. Last season in Cincy, Ogunjobi set a career-high with seven sacks.

That’s the same amount that Chris Wormley had as a starter at end, replacing Tuitt a season ago. Tuitt had 11 in 15 games during the 2020 season prior to his year-long absence in 2021, which eventually led to a retirement announcement this offseason.

If Wormley and Ogunjobi can combine to equate that production, as well as keep the level of play high against the run when Cameron Heyward has to come off the field, expect the Steelers defense to be even more of a force sacking the passer.

Which it did better than any team in the NFL last year, to the tune of 55 sacks.

And expect the defense to be better stopping the run.

Which it did worse than any team in the NFL last year, to the tune of 146 rush yards allowed per game.

“He’s a big man. He comes off blocks. We are glad to have him out there, and we look forward to him just getting better and better,” Tomlin said.

Apparently, he’s also healthy. That may be the most important description of all for Ogunjobi because his skill wasn’t in question. His upside wasn’t in question. The status of that worrisome foot was.

Now it appears the Steelers could be the team that benefits from waiting to find out the answer.

Good game. All of the QBs performed well I thought. The Trubisky TD was nice as we went through his read, avoided a sack spinning to his left, squared his shoulders and found the open guy. Mason throws a nice deep ball, but his wind-up/release creates issues from him. I didn't get to see KP live, but for his first go-around it seems it was a nice performance.

Gunner is making the team. The question is whether they keep 5 or 6 and is that person Boykin or Miller. Hopefully Austin and Miller don't have real injuries.

Disappointed that Karl Joseph got hurt. I liked him to make the team and have some flexibility.

I think McFarland makes the team too. Do they keep Benny Snell football and try to sneak Warren on to the PS?

I'll keep maintaining that its weird to me that people are willing to accept that Trubisky has improved but aren't willing to consider that Rudolph has as well.

Just basing of camp reports and what I saw in the preseason game, I thought Rudolph looked the most impressive of the 3, though regardless of who wins the job (almost certainly Mitch) I think Pickett will be starting by midseason.

Skipper hurt and cut. Again.

Wish we kept Roche last year . . . .

This is Mitch's job to lose. While Rudolph looked good and by all accounts is having a good camp, he has not separated himself either. None of them have really. So the pecking order remains the same unless someone really stands out these next few weeks.

Can someone explain to me how the IR, injury settlements, and waiving an injured player works when it happens pre-season? Like what are the options for UG3, Anthony Miller, and Karl Joseph now?

TIA

Can someone explain to me how the IR, injury settlements, and waiving an injured player works when it happens pre-season? Like what are the options for UG3, Anthony Miller, and Karl Joseph now?

TIA
My understanding is that by placing them on the IR now they are done for the year. I could be wrong though.

TIA
My understanding is that by placing them on the IR now they are done for the year. I could be wrong though.
I feel like there is some exception related to injury settlements and clearing waivers.

Heard Fittipaldo on the radio this morning predicting that Pickens will lead the team in reception yards. He says DJ will lead in number of receptions and TDs, but Pickens will be close on TDs (he thinks around 8). Claims Claypool is clearly #3 now.

Heard Fittipaldo on the radio this morning predicting that Pickens will lead the team in reception yards. He says DJ will lead in number of receptions and TDs, but Pickens will be close on TDs (he thinks around 8). Claims Claypool is clearly #3 now.
I don't watch much college football so I didn't know much about Pickens, but I really liked what I saw in the game vs SEA. After the game I checked out some video breakdowns of him and he looks really good.

Claypool needs to make more combat catches and stop falling down, lol. He really doesn't play up to his size. Hopefully his second season was an anomaly and he makes a big step forward this year.

I admit I was not high on Pickett but I did like what I saw last week and this here really is giving me the good feels. I'd heard this twitter account was run by a guy who was an Eagles scout, and I've been following it for months and believe it. In past 24 hours he's done two little thread breakdowns on Pickett.

@TheHonestNFL

I very much enjoy watching Kenny Pickett’s throwing mechanism. Great utilization of core rotation demonstrated with beautiful artwork in the thread below. Just to give an idea of how efficient he is…

Pickett thread 1

@TheHonestNFL

This throw is the test for whether or not a QB has an NFL arm. From the boundary hash, Pickett takes the Field CB’s deep cushion and throws Z Okie across to the field sideline with plenty of RPMs on it. Great mechanical sequencing made it look like throwing a tennis ball.

Pickett thread 2

I know it's a huge gamble because I truly believe this line is trash, but KP is making a case to be the starter. Problem is I think he will get lit up eventually playing behind it.

Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

PFF: It was a rough showing for the Steelers' line in run blocking. The unit earned a collective 44.6 run-blocking grade on 13 such snaps, pending review. On the pass-blocking side, the Steelers allowed 10 total pressures, with Dan Moore Jr. accounting for five.
----------------------------
FanDuel trolls Steelers offensive line on Twitter
...Steelers running backs only netted 10 rushing yards on just 10 carries in the game.

Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

PFF: It was a rough showing for the Steelers' line in run blocking. The unit earned a collective 44.6 run-blocking grade on 13 such snaps, pending review. On the pass-blocking side, the Steelers allowed 10 total pressures, with Dan Moore Jr. accounting for five.
----------------------------
FanDuel trolls Steelers offensive line on Twitter
...Steelers running backs only netted 10 rushing yards on just 10 carries in the game.
This is surest sign of Steelers' full intention to start Trubisky at season opener. They need a veteran QB to run OC Matt Canada offense with young OL who need to grow and jell. I dont believe they want to throw their prized 1st round rookie QB into the lion's teeth.

giving mad props to Mike Munchak. He turned the OL around then it deteriorated very quickly after he left. Got the most out of his players. Line is a train wreck this season.

giving mad props to Mike Munchak. He turned the OL around then it deteriorated very quickly after he left. Got the most out of his players. Line is a train wreck this season.
That was 100% the most costly loss these Steelers have endured. He was more valuable than any player who has left.

Believe me I am not downplaying the contributions made by Mike Munchak. He was a GREAT coach and the line has not been close to being good since he left and I attribute much of that to losing him. That said the line also got injured, older and their replacements have been pretty underwhelming.

Would the current line be better with Mike Munchak? Yes I definitely believe they would be but the level of talent on this line isn't close to DeCastro, Pouncey, Gilbert, Foster, et al in their prime.

The bottom line is the Steelers need to get better players on the offensive line.

Yeah there wasn't much of a running game, only 13 attempts and not looking good on almost all of them. They looked pretty good week 1 so maybe the Jags defense has something to do with it. The Jags held the Browns to 3.1 the week before and the Browns o-line is pretty good.

Equally alarming to me is the run defense. Myles Jack looked pretty good but they still look soft against the run

Speaking of the offensive line:

Steelers sign OT Adrian Early and waived OT Jordan Tucker.

He was undrafted in 2021 draft, signed by the Ravens, cut, and then signed to the Broncos, Rams, Ravens, and Packers practice squads last year. He was signed again by the Rams in February but cut last week.

Championship!

Speaking of the offensive line:

Steelers sign OT Adrian Early and waived OT Jordan Tucker.

He was undrafted in 2021 draft, signed by the Ravens, cut, and then signed to the Broncos, Rams, Ravens, and Packers practice squads last year. He was signed again by the Rams in February but cut last week.

Championship!
Sarcasm appreciated.

TIA
First to understand:
Vested Veterans are those with a minimum of 4 accrued seasons (think years of seniority).
Before the trade deadline any player that's not a Vested Veteran is subject to waivers. This gives other teams a chance to claim the player at the current terms of their contract.
Any player on IR doesn't count toward the roster maximum.

During preseason:
When a non-VV player is put on IR he must clear waivers. If no one claims the player he reverts to IR. UG3 was "waived/injured" because he's not a vested veteran.
Vested Veterans, those with 4+ accrued seasons, are not subject to waivers and can be put direct on IR. Miller and Joseph are VV and thus put on IR.
If a player is put on IR during pre-season he is not eligible to come off of it for the rest of that season. None of these players can be activated later.

After final cut date:
All players can be put directly on IR and can, at a team option, be re-activated at a later date.

You'll see some teams play "roster games" with this. They'll hold a better player that's injured until final cuts and cut a scrub instead. The next day they put the good player on IR and then re-sign the scrub assuming no one else signed him. Now the good player is eligible to possibly come off IR later.

=====

If a team releases an injured player they must pay them any remaining salary for that season (plus any future guaranteed money) unless a settlement is reached so it doesn't happen too often. If the team has to pay them they may as well hold their rights.

Occasionally players that want a shot at playing the current season will reach such settlements in order to try to get signed by another team. Most just stay on IR because they have access to NFL-quality treatment and are getting paid full price. UG3 was waived with an injury settlement. It's likely he wasn't injured too badly and decided he wanted to take a chance on getting signed with someone else and trying to get on the field this year (perhaps even Pittsburgh later) since once release he's a full-on Free Agent to sign with anyone.

As we approach the end of the pre-season, are there any vets that we think can contribute that are still free agents or rumored for cuts or trades? Obviously we are still looking for O-Line, but also RB, and OLB depth.

Would the Steelers take a shot at Kenyan Drake? Eric Fischer? Some lesser knowns?

As we approach the end of the pre-season, are there any vets that we think can contribute that are still free agents or rumored for cuts or trades? Obviously we are still looking for O-Line, but also RB, and OLB depth.

Would the Steelers take a shot at Kenyan Drake? Eric Fischer? Some lesser knowns?
I can't imagine bringing someone else in at RB. They already are facing a tough cut.

Are you really comfortable with any of those options should Harris go down for an extended period?

Are you really comfortable with any of those options should Harris go down for an extended period?
First off, RB doesn't matter, but Warren has looked great.

Greetings Steelers, thought I might share where I am after I wrote out about 50 RBs in the last couple days and I pride myself on not reading ALL the NEWS in the off season since a lot of it steers people wrong.. I prefer to trust my eyes on Sunday and keep good notes in the off season so I am not reliant on (pic the FF writer).

I am afraid to reveal to the entire Shark Pool who I have ranked No 2 on my RB Board right now but I bet you know who it is since I am posting in here. 381 touches and it felt like he could have had even more. I don't know that I am ready to pencil him in for 60-70 receptions every year but Pittsburgh likes to throw short to their RBs, maybe that was due to Big Ben not being the most mobile and dumping it off. I could be a little off on my projections but I see Harris getting a ton of touches and he started all 17 as a rookie, nobody else is going to eat into his touches from my POV, just wondering what many of you all are thinking.

4.4 yds per touch is not the most efficient, 10 TDs seems reasonable and possibly his floor this season. Both expected QBs that might be starting this season have looked pretty good in camp and preseason. I like Pickett and have since before the Steelers even drafted him, they need to rally around him and be ready to name him the starter sooner rather than later, rip the bad-aid off and let's roll.

Harris seems like a low risk move and we haven't seen him at his absolute best yet. I think he could improve easily on his 2021 Rookie campaign.
What do you all think about Harris and the Offense overall this year?

Last edited:
Greetings Steelers, thought I might share where I am after I wrote out about 50 RBs in the last couple days and I pride myself on not reading ALL the NEWS in the off season since a lot of it steers people wrong.. I prefer to trust my eyes on Sunday and keep good notes in the off season so I am not reliant on (pic and FF writer).

I am afraid to reveal to the entire Shark Pool who I have ranked No 2 on my RB Board right now but I bet you know who it is since I am posting in here. 381 touches and it felt like he could have had even more. I don't know that I am ready to pencil him in for 60-70 receptions every year but Pittsburgh likes to throw short to their RBs, maybe that was due to Big Ben not being the most mobile and dumping it off. I could be a little off on my projections but I see Harris getting a ton of touches and he started all 17 as a rookie, nobody else is going to eat into his touches from my POV, just wondering what many of you all are thinking.

4.4 yds per touch is not the most efficient, 10 TDs seems reasonable and possibly his floor this season. Both expected QBs that might be starting this season have looked pretty good in camp and preseason. I like Pickett and have since before the Steelers even drafted him, they need to rally around him and be ready to name him the starter sooner rather than later, rip the bad-aid off and let's roll.

Harris seems like a low risk move and we haven't seen him at his absolute best yet. I think he could improve easily on his 2021 Rookie campaign.
What do you all think about Harris and the Offense overall this year?
OL is a train wreck. With that out of the way, you are spot on. Pickett has looked particularly strong despite a lack of protection. Harris will be featured early and often both rushing and receiving. Defense should keep the running game in play most weeks. One of the safest first round picks on the board.

:towelwave:

Pickett!

As I have been writing in his thread for a while now...

Posted March 9

17-5 as the starter in Pittsburgh the last 2 seasons...we are talking the Pittsburgh Panthers college football team, not exactly the strongest program in the country the last 2 or 3 decades despite Arron Donald being a HoF player from there, I do remember a kid in '83 that went late 1st round and was routinely bad mouthed and we saw how that story turned out, was the guy's name Dan Marinara or something like that?

I think Pickett is one of the better QBs to gamble on late 1st/early 2nd this year.

Posted April 6th

If I were to show you a QB's Junior Year and it says 3,000 yds, 37 TD, 23 Int...and then his Senior Year he drops to 2,500 yds passing, 17 TD and the same 23 Interceptions, you would say that person is having issues with strong processing tendencies wouldn't you? It looks easy when you pick apart those stats, right?

Pickett went from 2,400 yds, 13 TD and 9 Int in 2020, then last year he throws for 4,300 yds, 42 TD! and just 7 Int, what part of the processing is this guy getting wrong exactly? I think some folks think too highly of their personal opinions that are being quoted by Bloom.

Pickett went from about 60% completion to over 67% last year, how is not described any other way than accurate when you factor in the iNterceptions? I'm not berating anyone, just seems like we need to ask questions and get clarity since some of you have a negative opinion about the guy's future, seems a little off base or not rooted in factual data.

BTW: That guy I used as an example in the first paragraph, you may have heard of him, his name was Dan Marino and I believe he went to Pittsburgh in the early 80s, had quite a career for the Miami Dolphins.

-MoP thinks you all pulled off quite a coup tonight. I hope next year Miami can get their local hometown boy, Tyler Van Dyke from UM, whatever it takes to get him.

-i like the selection and maybe he can learn for a few weeks and watch Mitch run things. He doesn't have to take the first snap in Week 1.
Just so there isn't anyone that thinks I just jumped on the Pickett bandwagon, been very vocal about what I think of him and the sheer luck of being taken by one of the better more accomplished franchises that will equate to success for Pickett and the opportunity to succeed right away.

@Grid71 hear you on the OL being a :tfp: thanks for the heads up. I didn't know it was that bad.

Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
Some thoughts on rookie QB film, starting with Kenny Pickett: He can just play. Knows where to go with the ball. Impressed with his control of the ball. And under pressure with people in his face - holy crapola. He doesn't watch the rush and keeps his eyes downfield

Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
Pickett is a starting QB right now, and I'd say the Steelers should go with him. BUT - that o-line could be an issue. Would be a little scared with that early schedule - CIN, NE, CLE - to throw Pickett out there right away

Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
Some thoughts on rookie QB film, starting with Kenny Pickett: He can just play. Knows where to go with the ball. Impressed with his control of the ball. And under pressure with people in his face - holy crapola. He doesn't watch the rush and keeps his eyes downfield

Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
Pickett is a starting QB right now, and I'd say the Steelers should go with him. BUT - that o-line could be an issue. Would be a little scared with that early schedule - CIN, NE, CLE - to throw Pickett out there right away
So how good has Jaylen Warren looked? He is being bid up in my dynasty league like a RB2.

Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB

Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
So how good has Jaylen Warren looked? He is being bid up in my dynasty league like a RB2.
He's looked real good but a fumble got him in Tomlin's doghouse. I think he makes the team but he's certainly not a lock

I know they signed a guy or 2 but how do they not draft a single player for the OL? It was a disaster last season and seems like it will be again this year.

I know they signed a guy or 2 but how do they not draft a single player for the OL? It was a disaster last season and seems like it will be again this year.
Agreed. I really wanted them to hold off QB until next year and sure up the offensive line or maybe take a lineman in the 4th instead of Austin?

Both players could turn out great and maybe the offensive line won't be as bad as it looked last week. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread