What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (2 Viewers)

Went Miami. I don't like NE's offense at all. Putrid.

Swapped out Buffalo at the last second. DEN's run game and the threat of a good Lock was enough. I'd rather take my chances with Sony Michel and Cam Newton.

Last edited by a moderator:
PIT unless you can convince me otherwise.
+1

for week 16 though, I’m switching from PIT to CLE in one league

In my other league, Rams this week and deciding if I should just stick with the Rams in week 16 (Seattle will be tough, but the Rams D is playing at a high level) or pick up a "meh" defense (like Phi or TB) against crappy opponents. My gut says to dance with who brung ya. 

Went Miami. I don't like NE's offense at all. Putrid.

Swapped out Buffalo at the last second. DEN's run game and the threat of a good Lock was enough. I'd rather take my chances with Sony Michel and Cam Newton.
The logic was sound on this one. If it weren't for that fumble/TD the BUF D would have had a lousy 5 pts.

The logic was sound on this one. If it weren't for that fumble/TD the BUF D would have had a lousy 5 pts.
Thanks, but a gentle disagreement. The whole point of this is "if it weren't for that..." and to account for it. You know? Like, "if the Jets weren't a dumpster fire at OL they wouldn't have has those six sacks," or "if Daniel Jones could feel pressure..." or "if...[insert whatever lousy offense does here]." That's the point, though, is that with all those mistakes, one catches up and becomes defensive gold. Lock almost had two pick sixes yesterday that should have been brought back to the house. They were, in the words of the late Dennis Green, what we thought they were. 

That said, I'm not despondent. Miami could easily hang twelve points in my league on the Pats and equal what Denver did yesterday. I'm hoping for eight or so, and I'll be happy with it.

But I take what you're saying. Thanks for the lift.

Thanks, but a gentle disagreement. The whole point of this is "if it weren't for that..." and to account for it. You know? Like, "if the Jets weren't a dumpster fire at OL they wouldn't have has those six sacks," or "if Daniel Jones could feel pressure..." or "if...[insert whatever lousy offense does here]." That's the point, though, is that with all those mistakes, one catches up and becomes defensive gold. Lock almost had two pick sixes yesterday that should have been brought back to the house. They were, in the words of the late Dennis Green, what we thought they were. 

That said, I'm not despondent. Miami could easily hang twelve points in my league on the Pats and equal what Denver did yesterday. I'm hoping for eight or so, and I'll be happy with it.

But I take what you're saying. Thanks for the lift.
Yeah I hear you.

As I was watching the game in the first half, it was playing out as I had thought. DEN was moving the ball pretty well and had put 2 TDs on the board. To that point, I felt good about the decision to bench them. Then the fumble/TD of course. That said, usually when a good D matchup nets a defensive TD that defense scores 20+. 

Let's hope Miami keeps up the turnover streak today.

Yeah I hear you.

As I was watching the game in the first half, it was playing out as I had thought. DEN was moving the ball pretty well and had put 2 TDs on the board. To that point, I felt good about the decision to bench them. Then the fumble/TD of course. That said, usually when a good D matchup nets a defensive TD that defense scores 20+

Let's hope Miami keeps up the turnover streak today.
Yeah, no doubt. I was heartened by that.

Well, I am in the second week of 2 week playoffs semi finals.  Standard league.  When PIT kicks off tonight I will be 3 points ahead.  All I need is PIT to hold serve on TD and I'm in the finals.  Pray for a pick 6 or the like for me. 

sounds like Garrett still isn't right
A lot of whether I play CLE or not this coming ship weekend will be up to the health status of Garrett and Sheldon Richardson.

On paper this looks like a dream match up but I do not like the recent trend of both the CLE D (allowing a lot of points, not generating defensive scoring opps. like sacks) and the NYJ O (suddenly look like they are playing with some fire).

Sure Cleveland got only 1 sack and 0 turnovers last night, but they also only gave up 6 points!  Even if the Giants had kicked their field goals, it would've only been 12 points.  And that's a heck of an improvement over the 47 and 35 they gave up the two weeks prior.  They should still be a safe play in week 16 @ NYJ.  Sure they'll give up a few more than 6 points, but they should also get some sacks/turnovers to make up for it.

Yeah, no doubt. I was heartened by that.
I hope you weren't watching the NE/MIA game and had the misfortune (like myself) of watching the fumble returned for a TD overturned. Pain.

Still holding BUF and hoping Bill B. pulls the plug on Cam for Stidham. BUF D will smell blood in the water and has been looking for this opportunity to crush NE for literally decades.

I hope you weren't watching the NE/MIA game and had the misfortune (like myself) of watching the fumble returned for a TD overturned. Pain.

Still holding BUF and hoping Bill B. pulls the plug on Cam for Stidham. BUF D will smell blood in the water and has been looking for this opportunity to crush NE for literally decades.
I watch eight games on Game Mix on DirecTV, so I was aware, yes.

Not a bad thought about the Bills and Stidham. I had Chicago lined up for JAX, but alas, in the consolation game. (I got Ridley and Tannehill'd)

Sure Cleveland got only 1 sack and 0 turnovers last night, but they also only gave up 6 points!  Even if the Giants had kicked their field goals, it would've only been 12 points.  And that's a heck of an improvement over the 47 and 35 they gave up the two weeks prior.  They should still be a safe play in week 16 @ NYJ.  Sure they'll give up a few more than 6 points, but they should also get some sacks/turnovers to make up for it.
And did a hell of a lot better than the Rams.

Steelers acting like Austin Power, they lost their Mojo. 

Gotta roll with PIT D/ST even though the whisper of doubt in this team is exposed. Not liking the trend and not getting right against the Bungles. 

Seems like enough defensive playmakers keep them legit.

Not wven sure what I will do for the finals.  Had to trust Rams against Seattle after that Jets performance.

Cleveland did fine against the Giants...can they repeat against the Jets?

Chicago against Jax?

Not wven sure what I will do for the finals.  Had to trust Rams against Seattle after that Jets performance.

Cleveland did fine against the Giants...can they repeat against the Jets?

Chicago against Jax?
They got one sack in the final minute of the game. The Giants 6 drives ended at the 8, 19, 6, 44, 40, and 21. Their score was acceptable because a bad Giants offense bypassed two first half field goal attempts, but even then it was not a needle mover in our game.

This is a bad defense. They've put up three quality performances all season - 2 were fueled by pick 6's and the other was against Dwayne Haskins in week 3. The Jets, like the Giants, are a bad offense. How confident are you in a pick 6? Cause aside from that there isn't any established upside in this group. If the front doesn't get home then they get picked apart all game log. I'd love to be wrong about this unit for once, but I'm chasing upside somewhere else. 

They got one sack in the final minute of the game. The Giants 6 drives ended at the 8, 19, 6, 44, 40, and 21. Their score was acceptable because a bad Giants offense bypassed two first half field goal attempts, but even then it was not a needle mover in our game.

This is a bad defense. They've put up three quality performances all season - 2 were fueled by pick 6's and the other was against Dwayne Haskins in week 3. The Jets, like the Giants, are a bad offense. How confident are you in a pick 6? Cause aside from that there isn't any established upside in this group. If the front doesn't get home then they get picked apart all game log. I'd love to be wrong about this unit for once, but I'm chasing upside somewhere else. 
Yeah...that is where I was going...can't trust it.

Not sure I want to trust the Bears as Trubisky ends up putting the D in a bad position...but the Jags suck and now have that inside track to the #1 pick.  Thinking that may be my best option.

Actually...just now seeing AZ is available against SF.  Will watch but with Mostert dinged again, Wilson took a ding...they have Aiyuk and maybe Kittle.  AZ seems to be coming on picking up sacks lately.

Yeah...that is where I was going...can't trust it.

Not sure I want to trust the Bears as Trubisky ends up putting the D in a bad position...but the Jags suck and now have that inside track to the #1 pick.  Thinking that may be my best option.

Actually...just now seeing AZ is available against SF.  Will watch but with Mostert dinged again, Wilson took a ding...they have Aiyuk and maybe Kittle.  AZ seems to be coming on picking up sacks lately.
Jags also don't have James Robinson. CHI is top 10 in fantasy points against every position but TE and the Jags don't have difference making weapons at that position. Throw out the Packers game (no Hicks) and despite the up-and-down offense and they've performed reasonably well most of the season. And this Jags offense even with James Robinson hasn't been any good in weeks. A CLE defense without Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward is the only time they've scored > 20 since week 9 cause they needed D/ST scores v GB and MIN.

AZ also has my attention, but I'm not applying any thought to them until Friday. The SF injury report will drive that decision. With Sunday's loss they have all the incentive to white flag this season and rest everyone battling various ailments, but they've been consistently aggressive with injuries all season so I'll believe it when I see it.

Is Cleveland traveling? Or are they staying in NYC all week? I assume they're doing an extended road trip and staying in town for both games, right?

Minor, minor factor but at this point I'm looking for anything. Don't like any of my options. Looks like the highest-rated team available is Houston vs Cincy but not sure if I trust that. Or maybe pivot to NO vs. Minny?

Don't think I trust anyone right now lol

For championship week I'm looking at:

Buff @ NE

TB @ Det

KC vs Atl

Chi @ Jax
I'm going BUF @NE.

Especially if Stidham starts. Feel like every time he threw the ball in preseason it was a pick 6.

BUF going up, NE going down.

As I NE fan I have to think that after years of getting their heads bashed in they want to come in here and do the same to the Pats. Considering NE can hardly move the ball, has no TE to speak of, hardly any WRs to speak of, and possibly with D. Harris out again, i'd say this is a pretty decent play.

Jags also don't have James Robinson. CHI is top 10 in fantasy points against every position but TE and the Jags don't have difference making weapons at that position. Throw out the Packers game (no Hicks) and despite the up-and-down offense and they've performed reasonably well most of the season. And this Jags offense even with James Robinson hasn't been any good in weeks. A CLE defense without Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward is the only time they've scored > 20 since week 9 cause they needed D/ST scores v GB and MIN.

AZ also has my attention, but I'm not applying any thought to them until Friday. The SF injury report will drive that decision. With Sunday's loss they have all the incentive to white flag this season and rest everyone battling various ailments, but they've been consistently aggressive with injuries all season so I'll believe it when I see it.
Mostert to IR...Mullens needs elbow surgery.  Looking more like Beathard of Jimmy G cant get out there.  Yeah between AZ and Chicago will likely grab both and make a decision later this week or grab one and try and secure Ahmed and figure out between him, Gaskin, Pollard, Wilson who I may flex (oh and thats if RoJo cant come back from Covid list)

Is Cleveland traveling? Or are they staying in NYC all week? I assume they're doing an extended road trip and staying in town for both games, right?

Minor, minor factor but at this point I'm looking for anything. Don't like any of my options. Looks like the highest-rated team available is Houston vs Cincy but not sure if I trust that. Or maybe pivot to NO vs. Minny?

Don't think I trust anyone right now lol
I dropped IND v the lifeless Steelers for the Saints against island game Kirk Cousins when they were surprisingly dropped last week. I'll need a compelling argument to pivot off them.

I'm more conflicted in my other, but I don't need to decide until the last minute. It's a 4 division ship and everyone else in mine was locked from making moves once they were eliminated. I've ridden the Rams to this point knowing I'd likely need to move on - looks like I'm deciding between CHI, AZ, MIA, KC, and IND.

I have the Browns (@ Jets), Cardinals (vs. 49ers), and Rams (@ Seahawks).

I picked up the Browns in week 8 and the Cardinals in week 9 for this very moment when it became clear that I was likely to get a week 14 bye. However, now the moment has arrived I find myself completely unsure on who to start.

The Dolphins are also sitting on the waiver wire (@ Raiders) but my opponent has more blind bid dollars left then me so even if I wanted them I may not get them.

Sacks are worth 2 points in my league so those are king here.

You like Mia better?

Matchup says I should drop Indy vs. Pitt, but my heart says I've ridden them to double digits so many weeks now, surely I'm screwing myself by starting HOUSTON?!?!?!  Feels like one of those "don't trust a bad defense even in a good matchup" games

Matchup says I should drop Indy vs. Pitt, but my heart says I've ridden them to double digits so many weeks now, surely I'm screwing myself by starting HOUSTON?!?!?!  Feels like one of those "don't trust a bad defense even in a good matchup" games
I’d stick with Indy. Don’t overthink it. 

Still probably rolling with Cleveland @ NYJ, but it's very tempting to pick up Arizona vs SF. Beathard is starting at QB for SF, and AZ has 14 sacks over the past 2 games.

Houston rated super high everywhere but that D hasn't scored points all season. They average 2 a week in my league. They have as many weeks with negative scores as positive ones due to my score/yardage plateaus. Sure, sure, it's Cincy, but... 

Trying to grab TB at D this week (especially if Covid is making its way thru Detroit staff). If I don’t get them I’ll stick with the Rams and hope they get up for the big divisional game. Houston on wire and not putting in waiver bid at all. 

Houston rated super high everywhere but that D hasn't scored points all season. They average 2 a week in my league. They have as many weeks with negative scores as positive ones due to my score/yardage plateaus. Sure, sure, it's Cincy, but... 
My opponent just swapped out the WASH D for HOU D...and I think I'm happy about that.

Cinci could prove competent. They have to feel good about the PIT win where they ran the ball well. Should have success on the ground.

I feel like  when you get cute and go "crappy D vs good matchup" over "Excellent D with mediocre matchup" you always lose.

no chance i trust my ship hopes in the hands of the Texans D, they're awful. I think i'm going KC vs ATL over the Rams in one and CLE vs NYJ over NO vs MIN in the other.

I have the Browns but I’m really leaning KC.  We get 5 points if you hold a team to under 100 rushing yards and 5 points under 14 points so it’s primarily a sack, INT and yardage on INT or FR’s. 

crazy to think Chiefs are a viable option?  Matt Ryan outside in December vs a team that can clinch the 1 seed. 

Decisions between Buff, who I discredited last week, vs NE or Mia vs LV.  Really depends who has the better offense. I think LV can put some points up so may lean on Buffalo. One website I saw had them both kind of in the same tier and one had Mia as "hope you have better options " category.

Decisions between Buff, who I discredited last week, vs NE or Mia vs LV.  Really depends who has the better offense. I think LV can put some points up so may lean on Buffalo. One website I saw had them both kind of in the same tier and one had Mia as "hope you have better options " category.
BUF on the rise, NE on the decline. It's a statement game on MNF in NE. The changing of the guard means, I believe both the BUF offense and defense will be inspired. I'm looking at dropping PIT D in two leagues (can't believe it, but it's true). First league HOU, CHI or BUF and going BUF. Second league stick with PIT or go HOU. I can't stand HOU D. I'm not liking PIT D right now either, but may stick with them in the championship game. PIT falling apart and Big Ben is looking Wentz-like. 

I have both the WFT and CAR defenses in one league. Back and forth between them. If Haskins starts the CAR is tempting since he’s a little more likely to throw picks. But I think WFT is going to play hard. 

Dropped NYG defense. Picked up LA Chargers vs. Denver for Championship.

Still could switch them out for Houston defense vs. Cincinnati.

Would you? Or, stay with LA Chargers? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread