What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022: Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional? (2 Viewers)

Which NFL Team gets your vote as the #4 dysfunctional organization?

• Houston Texans

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • New York Jets

Votes: 24 9.0%
  • Washington Commanders

Votes: 53 19.9%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 13 4.9%
  • New York Giants

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Chicago Bears

Votes: 38 14.2%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • Other Team (please post which team)

Votes: 14 5.2%

• Total voters

Faust

MVP
The 2021/2022 NFL Season has ended and the LA Rams have been crowned as Super Bowl champions! 

Link to my last poll:

2021: Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional?

Dysfunctional traits within NFL teams can be found in a few different aspects within these organizations:

1. Ownership 

2. Front Office and General Management 

3. Coaches 

4. Players 

5. Fans

Recent dysfunctional traits will carry the most weight; however, for a few select organizations which always seem to have systemic & perpetual dysfunction  - wiping the slate clean and removing those stains clean is not always something that can be done over the course of a season or two - so for those who give some weight to historical dysfunction - that is okay when you cast your vote.

I am looking forward to the discussion on this topic.

1) Unless and until Dan Snyder gets ousted it will always be the Commadores...Commados...Camisoles??? Whatever, doesn't matter what the product on the field looks like, Snyder is poison and must go.

2) Stephen Ross jumped to the top of Snyder's Christmas card list with the Flores allegations helping distract from the #### show that is the WFT. But Ross needs to get tossed from the NFL immediately. If Ridley gets suspended for a year for betting $1,500 on his team to win then Ross needs to be banned from the NFL for life.

3) Houston - Jake Plummer? Seriously???

4) No team has earned the indignity of of being spoken of in the same breath as the other three.

I went Houston, Washington, Miami, Jacksonville. 

All, I think, are pacing the field right now, and might even have lapped it. 

1) My toughest choice was Washington and Houston. Easterby as "consultant" sounds almost like something Nathaniel Hawthorne would criticize in New England in 1860 or something. I went with Houston, though recent successes argue against this. ***ETA*** I change my vote to Washington

2) Washington is something even Satanists criticize. At least they have mutual consent or something. Snyder has the team and fan base over a barrel and the NFL just lets him because to expose him would just be so much money and he might go Canseco on them. 

3) Miami, if the Dolphins really did what Flores has accused them of, is in a ring of hell, too. 

4) Jacksonville's owner has checked out to London and cares, but is so incompetent he can't even hire the right people to make the decisions for him. He hires...Urban Meyer? 

Just awful. And this is coming from a Jets fan! We're so bad and dysfunctional we make the Giants look good! Oof, talk about dysfunction and two awful teams in a flagship-adjacent city. 

Houston-Washington-Miami-Jacksonville-NY Jets-NY Giants 

Those round out the top six, far as I'm concerned.

eta* I've talked myself out of Houston. Dan Snyder is just this side of evil. It's Washington. They're the worst. They're just protected because they've got dirt on the NFL. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A boneheaded onside kick and a Super Bowl loss six seasons ago don't really seem like enough of a pattern to qualify for"most dysfunctional" NFL franchise.
Pretty sure I answered your question in the 2nd part, that you neglected to quote.   And I didn't say "most dysfunctional", I said Atlanta deserved a spot on the board.   But thanks for kinda somewhat engaging. 

The one with an active ex- head coach now serving on the Pittsburgh Steelers with a lawsuit pending against his former team, the Miami Dolphins. Blatant racism and also tanking or throwing games on purpose instigated by the owner Stephen Ross should be the clear winner here. 

I went Houston, Washington, Miami, Jacksonville. 

All, I think, are pacing the field right now, and might even have lapped it. 

1) My toughest choice was Washington and Houston. Easterby as "consultant" sounds almost like something Nathaniel Hawthorne would criticize in New England in 1860 or something. I went with Houston, though recent successes argue against this. ***ETA*** I change my vote to Washington

2) Washington is something even Satanists criticize. At least they have mutual consent or something. Snyder has the team and fan base over a barrel and the NFL just lets him because to expose him would just be so much money and he might go Canseco on them. 

3) Miami, if the Dolphins really did what Flores has accused them of, is in a ring of hell, too. 

4) Jacksonville's owner has checked out to London and cares, but is so incompetent he can't even hire the right people to make the decisions for him. He hires...Urban Meyer? 

Just awful. And this is coming from a Jets fan! We're so bad and dysfunctional we make the Giants look good! Oof, talk about dysfunction and two awful teams in a flagship-adjacent city. 

Houston-Washington-Miami-Jacksonville-NY Jets-NY Giants 

Those round out the top six, far as I'm concerned.

eta* I've talked myself out of Houston. Dan Snyder is just this side of evil. It's Washington. They're the worst. They're just protected because they've got dirt on the NFL. 
I matched your top three, but added Dallas as my #4 because of Jerry’s new story, the cheerleader fiasco and just because.

I matched your top three, but added Dallas as my #4 because of Jerry’s new story, the cheerleader fiasco and just because.
Honestly, first I had heard of it until I googled your notes...wow. Still, the product on the field is a lot better than any of those other teams you listed. 

Pretty sure I answered your question in the 2nd part, that you neglected to quote.   And I didn't say "most dysfunctional", I said Atlanta deserved a spot on the board.   But thanks for kinda somewhat engaging. 
The problem is they really don't "deserve a mention" based on an onside kick and a SB loss, particularly as they made it to the SB in the first place.

That's a very low bar for deserving a mention among the most dysfunctional franchises in the league.

Chaka said:
The problem is they really don't "deserve a mention" based on an onside kick and a SB loss, particularly as they made it to the SB in the first place.

That's a very low bar for deserving a mention among the most dysfunctional franchises in the league.
This discussion isn't progressing, so let's just drop it.

Washington is 1-4, all by themselves.  As long as the worst owner in professional sports is in charge, they utterly and completely incompetent.

I definitely think Washington tops the list. I find it fitting that a team that messed up represents a city that is that messed up.

I went Washington, Jacksonville, Houston, Cleveland. I was tempted to include my Bears in there, but want to give the new regime a little time, even though early results are not confidence inspiring. 

Top three makes sense. I'd do Hou-Jag-Was because Hou is a comedy show front office and a team going no where with no plan, Jag were bad but only recently became bad and a comedy show as well with a front office that's truly inept, and Was has the most toxic front office in the league (which is saying something) but actually has coaches/players with promise in a weak division - they just need a qb.

I'm saying this only because (1) it has been 26 years since my they have been to the NFC championship game, (2) they have had a horrible off season and (3) the owner / GM / Czar has 2 different scandals brewing so I will cast my vote for the Jerry Jones' Cowboys.

Was/Hou tier 1. Toxic ownership = bad things 

Jax seems like they have hope to not be a dumpster fire but let’s get a year of normal going before advancing off the list. The bizarre FA $$ didn’t help. 

I forgot about the Phins. The tanking thing is pretty ugly. At least they have a chance to be competitive. 

I threw a vote at the Browns. Deshaun Watson is talented but that whole thing   is just so gross. I have a lot of sympathy for the fans so no offense but I hope he’s suspended for 2 years. Screw him.

Detroit, fun coach, fun team to root for.

The one with an active ex- head coach now serving on the Pittsburgh Steelers with a lawsuit pending against his former team, the Miami Dolphins. Blatant racism and also tanking or throwing games on purpose instigated by the owner Stephen Ross should be the clear winner here. 

Is is all fine and well except for that pesky issue of having a winning record the last two years.

I think the Carolina Panthers would have to be in the discussion.  Three years in a row with 5 wins.  No hope at QB.  A coach that may not know what he's doing.

Top three makes sense. I'd do Hou-Jag-Was because Hou is a comedy show front office and a team going no where with no plan, Jag were bad but only recently became bad and a comedy show as well with a front office that's truly inept, and Was has the most toxic front office in the league (which is saying something) but actually has coaches/players with promise in a weak division - they just need a qb.
The top 3 in some order is easy. Houston, Washington and Jacksonville. 4th is where it gets tricky. Detroit is an easy target for all the failures historically and how bad the last regime was. However I think the current leadership is actually quite competent and respectable so that keeps them out. Miami seems to make sense as an option. 

I definitely think Washington tops the list. I find it fitting that a team that messed up represents a city that is that messed up.

I went Washington, Jacksonville, Houston, Cleveland. I was tempted to include my Bears in there, but want to give the new regime a little time, even though early results are not confidence inspiring. 

Washington is a great city just FYI.  I grew up in Northern Virginia and hate crossing the Potomac River for any reason.  It's a locals thing to hate the other side, and Maryland truly sucks.  But DC has become a beautiful city.  The rivers are clean.  The new harbor areas with restaurants and shops are great.  As bad as crime was in the 80s, it's mostly gone.  Certainly no worse than any other city.  The homeless problem has gotten better, whereas in most other cities it's gotten worse.  Even the bad areas like Anacostia (where I was born) and NE have become better.  It's a city.  It will never be free of problems.  And as far as the Fed Govt, same as it ever was.   But the transformation of DC into a beautiful city is as much as the opposite trend of the Commanders into a horrid organization.

I think the Carolina Panthers would have to be in the discussion.  Three years in a row with 5 wins.  No hope at QB.  A coach that may not know what he's doing.
I should have included the Carolina Panthers as a choice as they meet a lot of the criteria for being a dysfunctional organization.

Speaking at this week's owners' meetings, Panthers GM Scott Fitterer admitted "you hate to force it," but "at some point you have to take a shot" on a quarterback when discussing the team's No. 6 overall draft pick.

The Panthers don't currently own their second-, third-, or fourth-round picks after trading them away for Sam Darnold and CB C.J. Henderson. After picking at No. 6 overall early Thursday night, the Panthers aren't again scheduled to pick until Saturday at No. 137. Fitterer has his work cut out for him. "The tackles will be the best players on the board," Fitterer said of his No. 6 pick. "But we do need a quarterback, and at some point you have to take a shot, especially in the top 10. You hate to force it, because when you force it, you could make a mistake." Forcing it may be necessary to save his and coach Matt Rhule's jobs, as owner David Tepper is likely running out of patience with the swings and misses at quarterback. Pitt QB Kenny Pickett has been a popular mock-draft pick to Carolina.

Washington is a great city just FYI.  I grew up in Northern Virginia and hate crossing the Potomac River for any reason.  It's a locals thing to hate the other side, and Maryland truly sucks.  But DC has become a beautiful city.  The rivers are clean.  The new harbor areas with restaurants and shops are great.  As bad as crime was in the 80s, it's mostly gone.  Certainly no worse than any other city.  The homeless problem has gotten better, whereas in most other cities it's gotten worse.  Even the bad areas like Anacostia (where I was born) and NE have become better.  It's a city.  It will never be free of problems.  And as far as the Fed Govt, same as it ever was.   But the transformation of DC into a beautiful city is as much as the opposite trend of the Commanders into a horrid organization.
Sorry, I really didn’t mean the city itself. I have never been there and unfortunately I really just associate it with the government. I really shouldn’t have brought it into this thread. As Snyder drags the team down, I have often thought of the correlation of him running the team and the federal government running the country. 

Honestly, I have always wanted to visit there for the sites and the history. Just a visit though. A small town guy like me wouldn’t survive in a big city too long. 😂

Sorry, I really didn’t mean the city itself. I have never been there and unfortunately I really just associate it with the government. I really shouldn’t have brought it into this thread. As Snyder drags the team down, I have often thought of the correlation of him running the team and the federal government running the country. 

Honestly, I have always wanted to visit there for the sites and the history. Just a visit though. A small town guy like me wouldn’t survive in a big city too long. 😂
Also, I have a good friend who is a life long fan of the team, so I enjoy picking on him about what Snyder is doing there. 

You know,  because my Bears are tearing it up. 😂

Is is all fine and well except for that pesky issue of having a winning record the last two years.
"Dysfunctional organization" 

Miami's record is because they had a solid head Coach in Brian Flores, you know...The one who now is the ex-head coach serving on the Pittsburgh Steelers with a lawsuit pending against his former team, the Miami Dolphins. Blatant harassment and also tanking or throwing games on purpose instigated by the owner Stephen Ross, complicit by Chris Grier and should be the clear winner here. 

"Dysfunctional organization" 

Miami's record is because they had a solid head Coach in Brian Flores, you know...The one who now is the ex-head coach serving on the Pittsburgh Steelers with a lawsuit pending against his former team, the Miami Dolphins. Blatant harassment and also tanking or throwing games on purpose instigated by the owner Stephen Ross, complicit by Chris Grier and should be the clear winner here. 

It ain't dysfunctional if you are challenging for the playoffs.  While they may be screwing up some things, the results mean they are doing some things right like hiring coaches and acquiring talent.

Tanking has been around forever....remember Suck for Luck?  The only difference here is that someone is publicly talking about conversations every organization has.

Front Office Sports reports that Commanders owner Daniel Snyder kept ticket revenue that is supposed to be shared with other NFL teams.

This is an unusual source for us to cite, but the information is supposedly directly from the House Oversight Committee that is investigating Snyder and FOS had also been on the forefront of this investigation as it expanded beyond the hostile workplace environment and into the team's finances. It truly feels weird to predict that this is the final straw for lil' Danny Snyder, who has yet to find a jam he couldn't wriggle out of. But as much chaos as Snyder has allowed to bloom in Washington, he hadn't yet been connected with actively cheating other teams out of money. 

SOURCE: Front Office Sports

Apr 3, 2022, 1:23 PM ET
Link to the thread started by @rockaction on this issue:

House Oversight Committee, Dan Snyder, And The Commanders/WFT/Redskins

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports the Jets have been turned down by several free agents this offseason. 

An NFL executive told Sando that the Jets "were in on a ton of guys and got nobody," including Tyreek Hill, who chose the Dolphins over the Jets when Kansas City granted him permission to seek a trade in March. “They don’t have a selling point to players right now," the executive said. "People don’t know what to think of Zach Wilson, players don’t necessarily covet playing in that market, and guys who have choices tend to wind up elsewhere. They are in this weird purgatory.” New York this offseason has signed second and third-tier free agents like Tyler Conklin, C.J. Uzomah, G Laken Tomlinson, and S Jordan Whitehead while failing to land a splash free agency signing despite plenty of cap space. An improved performance from Zach Wilson in 2022 would go a long way in luring big-name free agents to the Jets next offseason. It would be exceedingly difficult for Wilson to be worse than he was as a rookie. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 11, 2022, 8:19 AM ET

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports an NFL executive said "nobody" competed against Washington in acquiring Carson Wentz. 

The Commanders in March acquired Wentz and a second rounder from the Colts in exchange for a second-round pick and two third rounders. Washington agreed to pay Wentz's $28 million guaranteed compensation, a perplexing concession if no other team wanted Wentz after the disastrous end to his one season in Indianapolis. “If you polled the entire league and said you can have Taylor Heinicke for $2 million and you have $26 million to spend plus two third-round picks, or you can have Carson Wentz, I’m pretty sure the majority would prefer Heinicke,” an executive told Sando. “I’d rather have Baker Mayfield and $8 million.” Washington's pursuit of Wentz speaks to the organization's desperation for a viable starting quarterback after Heinicke was exposed in 2021. Wentz's best case scenario is a few years as the team's QB before they can draft and develop a long-term option. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 11, 2022, 10:01 AM ET

The U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Reform alleges the Commanders withheld as much as $5 million in refundable deposits from season ticket holders. 

In a letter to the Federal Trade Commission, the house committee -- which has investigated the Commanders' culture of sexual harassment --- said the franchise may have cheated season ticket holders and kept money intended to be shared with the NFL's other 31 teams. “Given the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) authority to investigate unfair or deceptive business practices, we are providing the information and documents uncovered by the Committee for your review, to determine if the Commanders violated any provision of law enforced by FTC and whether further action is warranted,” the committee’s letter said. “We request that you take any other action you deem necessary to ensure that all funds are returned to their rightful owners and that those responsible are held accountable for their conduct.” As lawmakers' investigation continues to turn up damning evidence of financial malfeasance, pressure will build among NFL owners to remove Daniel Snyder as Washington's owner. Allegations of withholding money from season ticket holders might be the death knell for Washington fans' support of the once-proud franchise.

RELATED: 

Roger Goodell

SOURCE: WashingtonPost.com 

Apr 12, 2022, 12:10 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread