What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Message board poster furiously types out one more horrible post before thread closes (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doris is on point with those comments about Mazzula.

This is just such a complete team. Reminds me of the early 00s Pistons in that way.

I love my 2000's Pistons, but they were far from a complete team. They just had a defense that wouldn't quit.
I guess the comparison comes to mind because both teams win with their defense and have such a distributed offensive attack.

They just also seem very in-sync and bought into the strategy. A lot of Spurs teams had that too, but it always felt like Duncan was really leading it.

One side note, Pritchard has been pretty terrible in the Finals offensively. He held his own defensively tonight, but it would be nice if he hit a shot or two.

That banked three at the buzzer last game is his only made shot all series. He is 1/13 with 3 points.

Jaylen Brown should get more love. Great at basketball, cool as ****, smart, extremely handsome, and apparently a good dude
Agreed. He'd be my pick to be the Finals MVP right now.
I think it is a no-brainer he is the frontrunner. He was the best Celtics player in games 1 and 3 and was only slightly behind Jrue in game 2. If Boston wins Friday and he puts up 25 points or more, the FMVP is his no matter what Tatum does.

Thru 3 (the only guys who have a realistic chance for FMVP):

Brown: 24.3ppg (55% shooting) / 6 / 5.6 / 2 stl

Tatum: 21.6ppg (36% shooting) / 8.6 / 7.3

Thru 3 (the only guys who have a realistic chance for FMVP):

Brown: 24.3ppg (55% shooting) / 6 / 5.6 / 2 stl

Tatum: 21.6ppg (36% shooting) / 8.6 / 7.3
Tatum scored one more point than Jaylen point tonight, but was -4 compared to +13. The other thing is that Brown just scores very well in crunch time. It's been that way all playoffs.

Tatum is not playing badly at all though. Very active hands on defense that have disrupted many Mavs plays.

There’s just no rhyme or reason on what’s a foul vs non-call any more. Pretty terrible all around.
As a guy who refs HS games, I can say that getting those calls right in the NBA seems impossible to me.

They don't get slow mo instant replays. The refs have a single angle (sometimes a bad angle) look at live speed to make a decision.

Try and ref a 6th grade game and then come in here and talk about how "terrible" it is.

The two most difficult things I've honestly tried to be good at are playing golf and reffing basketball. Officiating football is 10x's easier than basketball. The number of judgement calls you have to make, the speed and constant transitions plus random unexpectedness are a recipe for inconsistency.

Honestly they need to just get rid of body fouls unless it's egregious. Slap a guy across the wrist? Okay, foul. Guard a guy who's driving to the basket who then leans into you intentionally to create contact? That should never be a foul. But currently it's just 50/50 and we've got games decided by one or two points where there were 30 of that exact play throughout the game that were complete coin flips as to whether the ref decided to blow the whistle or not.

They should call fouls in the NBA at the level they get called in a rec basketball game. We can play for an hour and there's only like 6 or 7 fouls. Makes no sense that is happening every 3 minutes in an NBA game.

Well on the one hand, it's really hard not to feel like we got absolutely jobbed by the refs. Brown and Holiday can manhandle Luka all game but Luka isn't allowed to be physical at all.

On the other hand, you can't truly blame that stuff for anything late when you're down by 20+ in every single game against a better team.

At least Kyrie finally showed up.

Have to decide if I want to go to game 4 or try to sell them. Just really deflated today.

Well on the one hand, it's really hard not to feel like we got absolutely jobbed by the refs. Brown and Holiday can manhandle Luka all game but Luka isn't allowed to be physical at all.

On the other hand, you can't truly blame that stuff for anything late when you're down by 20+ in every single game against a better team.

Have to decide if I want to go to game 4 or try to sell them. Just really deflated today.
The ref calls sucked but the Celtics are the way better team. Both things can be true.

Mavs had 19 fouls called against them, the Celts 17

But the big guy that plays the worst defense when he actually tries but most of the time just doesn't try was picked on

Not really a good take, considering his lack of real effort

Last edited:

The officiating was brutal at times for sure, but it feels a bit like hockey where the team the officials perceive as tougher and more physical are given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to infractions. Not saying Dallas is soft by any means, but the Celtics D is so good and so swarming that it feels like they are given more leeway on contact because of how often they do make plays.

The ref calls sucked but the Celtics are the way better team. Both things can be true.
Agreed. I think that's what I was saying. Definitely how I feel.

Boston was heavily favored for a reason. Dallas needed to play perfectly and get some mistakes.

They got the mistakes. Even played excellent defense. But the offense repeatedly cratered - at times because Bostons defense is excellent, at times because it felt like Finals pressure got to guys. Games 2 and 3 were both very winnable. Had to have them.

Been a fun season. Hopefully a smart signing or two around the edges, keep the core starters plus lively and green, need to hit on an USDA and next year's pick.

Think I'll still go to Game 4. Never know, they could never be back.

Reactions: Zow

The officiating was brutal at times for sure, but it feels a bit like hockey where the team the officials perceive as tougher and more physical are given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to infractions. Not saying Dallas is soft by any means, but the Celtics D is so good and so swarming that it feels like they are given more leeway on contact because of how often they do make plays.
This rings as somewhat true. I think Dallas is a little soft though at times. The guys who aren't have kind of shrunk a bit in the finals and without them...meh.

Give it a day.

I get it as it's just a depressing and therefore expensive watch, but how many times do you think you'll be able to watch your team in the finals on their home court? Respectfully, I think Dallas wins this one and Celtics take game 5.*

*Of course I don't really know what I'm talking about and have maybe only watched 5 minutes of the finals because I'm dejected myself about the Wolves.

I feel like these have been the worst playoffs I remember since like the mid-2000s. Two memorable series and pretty much no drama anywhere else. The final 3 series will likely be played in 13 of a possible 21 games. The minimum is 12. Terrible!
I will forever be grateful to these playoffs because they made Little Woz, who showed no interest in sports prior (I obviously I love the kid to death and will support whatever he's into, but I'm a huge sports fan so it was a little disappointing that I hadn't been able to share that with him), a huge sports fan.

For example, we're currently on vacation at the Jersey Shore. A couple of days ago we were on the boardwalk and he was adamant that, after seeing one of those rigged basketball shot carnie games, he wanted to "shoot some hoops." I tried explaining to him that it's just one shot, the rim is rigged, and prepared him for failure. However, I didn't expect that we'd get perhaps the nicest carnie ever who let him take multiple shots and awarded him his choice of prize from an array of logo basketballs for "getting close." I expected Little Woz to choose the Batman or Superman basketball and I was confused when he chose the UConn basketball over them. When I asked him why, he explained that their logo/mascot looked like a Timberwolf.

He's slept with that ball every night since and we've gone to the local park here every morning to shoot baskets with it. He plays as Edwards and I have to play as The Joker. He also had me show him where Minnesota is on the map and I'm seriously considering flying us out to Minnesota next year for a two-game set or something. It's been absolutely awesome.

Well on the one hand, it's really hard not to feel like we got absolutely jobbed by the refs.
Such a weak take. Refs had nothing to do with any of these losses
Try reading more than one sentence at a time before you have to get to the keyboard 🙄

Sorry your team sucks and you don't know what it's like to be emotionally invested in this.
My team is trouncing your team 3-0. I am invested, just get annoyed when every loss comes down to "well the refs sucked!".

Also, I love you man. If I am giving you **** it is because I care

Well on the one hand, it's really hard not to feel like we got absolutely jobbed by the refs.
Try reading more than one sentence at a time before you have to get to the keyboard 🙄

Sorry your team sucks and you don't know what it's like to be emotionally invested in this.
My team is trouncing your team 3-0. I am invested, just get annoyed when every loss comes down to "well the refs sucked!".

Weird I had you as one of the Philly guys. My bad!! That's probably the most offensive thing I've implied about someone in here in a long time.

Weird I had you as one of the Philly guys. My bad!! That's probably the most offensive thing I've implied about someone in here in a long time.
Unsurprisingly I have been called way worse things than a Philly fan in life

Unsurprisingly I have been called way worse things than a Philly fan in life
A Philly fan that doesn't return his shopping cart to the bay? A Philly fan that drives slowly in the left hand lane?

Honestly, I can't think of much worse insults.

DAL is a player short of being a championship team. Gafford and Lively are awesome around the rim on both sides of the court. But DAL not having a stretch 4 or 5 is a big issue in the next couple of years. Gaff and Lively can protect Luke's bad D. But they cannot give him an extra shooting option on offense. DAL needs to fix that.

Conversely Porzingis and Horford make defenders play them the entire court. DAL doesn't have that two way big.

DAL is a player short of being a championship team. Gafford and Lively are awesome around the rim on both sides of the court. But DAL not having a stretch 4 or 5 is a big issue in the next couple of years. Gaff and Lively can protect Luke's bad D. But they cannot give him an extra shooting option on offense. DAL needs to fix that.

Conversely Porzingis and Horford make defenders play them the entire court. DAL doesn't have that two way big.
There's a lot of hope that Lively can shoot. He was actually recruited out of HS as a stretch guy. Think he could be like a more athletic but less refined Brook Lopez (i.e., not so much in the post scoring toolkit but a threat from deep and amazing rim protector).

I think upgrading from DJJ would also be something to push over to a title favorite kind of squad. Of course, finding guys with the defense and athleticism AND shooting ability is also knows as "drafting top 5 picks and signing all stars" lol. Easier said than done.

Miles Bridges would be interesting but not sure how you'd be able to pull it off.

maybe it's because i saw him in Milwaukee, and maybe others have noticed it as well but it's just not talked about as much as other things but holy **** is Holiday's footwork and positioning super elite upper tier

he's so smooth and quick at beating guys to their spots. terrific anticipation. feels like he knows exactly what his opponent is going to do before they do it.

Kyrie made last nights game more interesting. He was on point and the C's had their hands full trying to slow him down.
Maybe he just stinks when he plays in Boston.
Just seems like DAL doesn't have the offensive weapons to match what BOS has ... or BOS defense is shutting them down.

Also, I think this BOS team might be much better than what people were previously giving them credit for.
Some analysts actually picked DAL to win the series.
BOS has a chance to win a championship with only loosing 2 playoff games. 16-2?
Can't be many other teams that have done that.
Easy road or not ... They played without Porzingas for all but 2 games and won comfortably in most of them.

Miles Bridges would be interesting but not sure how you'd be able to pull it off.

Bridges and Kidd have a lot in common. Should work out well.

In all my years of following sports, I don’t ever remember the following happening on the same night. The Celtics sold out the Garden on a night they were on the road by hosting a watch party. At the same time, the Patriots sold out their stadium on Tom Brady night when they also weren’t playing. Never heard of a double sell out for non-games before. Tickets to the watch party got up to $600 (sold for $18). The price was pretty similar for the Brady team HOF ceremony (which were $100 originally). The Red Sox also had a home game at the same time and came just short of a sell out.

Bridges and Kidd have a lot in common. Should work out well.

I'm liking this for its savagery.

he wasn't done

his Game 3 takeaways article on ESPN

Windhorst: Completely unacceptable. No one can tell Doncic anything. Not teammates, not coaches, not executives, not media, not fans, not referees. There's been a lot of pleas and promises that he'll improve but this one is going to leave a mark. He is a truly brilliant player, once in a generation. But he's going to have to look in the mirror and confront his weaknesses before he's on the other side of a Finals. His defensive effort in these Finals has simply been crushing to his team, his complaining to the referees is painful and his frustration fouls probably just cost his team a chance at making this a series because he fouled out. He's one of the biggest stars in the league and that means he's held to a higher standard, especially at this level. He failed to meet it in this game and he's going to have to deal with that whether he likes it or not.

I feel like these have been the worst playoffs I remember since like the mid-2000s. Two memorable series and pretty much no drama anywhere else. The final 3 series will likely be played in 13 of a possible 21 games. The minimum is 12. Terrible!

I remember when we thought it was just the early rounds and that the WCF and NBA Finals would be epic. Nope :kicksrock:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread