What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - Nick Saban is sad and mid because everyone can pay players now. (4 Viewers)

11 penalties called against CSU so far (128 yards). 5 against Colorado (45 yards). Nice to see the referees calling it right down the middle.
Most games are lopsided. My games this season 11-3, 14-9, 12-6 in penalties. Games were all close games. The officials do not care who wins. They do like good games, just not OT games.

really enjoy Sanders, shtick and all.
Rooting for Sanders is like rooting for cancer.

What is the beef with this guy? Did I miss him do something like a Big 10 state school coach would do?

I don't mind him, but can definitely see how he could rub people the wrong way with the trash talk etc. I do think there are also people out there that dislike his approach and what it will do to college football, essentially treating it like an NFL team and firing kids. But I think we've mostly been headed down that road for a while anyway.

The one thing that makes me roll my eyes a little bit is he does have that annoying personality trait where he intentionally stirs stuff up and then acts annoyed/bewildered that people are talking about or reporting on the stuff he intentionally stirred up.

Like some of his quotes after this week's game were (paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact quotes) "I don't know why people keep talking about this stuff, we're just trying to play football". That's obviously totally disingenuous. He's definitely leaning into and enjoying all the off the field antics and trash talk. He also had a quote this week that was something like "I could be petty, but I was raised to be better than that" or something to that effect, with this coming like 10 days after he went on a big rant about how he was "keeping receipts" and starting reciting quotes from the offseason and calling out people by name that didn't think the season would go well.

I think the team is fun, but mostly because his son and Hunter are super exciting to watch play football.

ETA: The "I don't know why people keep talking about this stuff" was in response to a question about the post-game handshake with Norvell, after earlier in the week he'd said "when we shake hands at the end of the game, keep the cameras rolling" with a smirk. So yea, pretty cheeky to talk trash about what was going to go down during the post game handshake earlier in the week, and then act put-off that he was being asked about the post-game handshake after.

Last edited:
I do think there are also people out there that dislike his approach and what it will do to college football, essentially treating it like an NFL team and firing kids. But I think we've mostly been headed down that road for a while anyway.
We have. But.......

What he did isn't going to happen very often (if ever again) to that degree, though, as most coaches that take over horrid programs won't be able to bring in the level of new talent he has.

The amount of pearl-clutching over the way Sanders has started his career at Colorado amuses me no end. A little Deion goes a long way with me, but I love watching a bunch of hide-bound hypocrites have vapors over the way he does things. Sanders won't have to roster-flip going forward because he's gonna be bringing in Top 20 recruiting classes.

I do think there are also people out there that dislike his approach and what it will do to college football, essentially treating it like an NFL team and firing kids. But I think we've mostly been headed down that road for a while anyway.
We have. But.......

What he did isn't going to happen very often (if ever again) to that degree, though, as most coaches that take over horrid programs won't be able to bring in the level of new talent he has.

The amount of pearl-clutching over the way Sanders has started his career at Colorado amuses me no end. A little Deion goes a long way with me, but I love watching a bunch of hide-bound hypocrites have vapors over the way he does things. Sanders won't have to roster-flip going forward because he's gonna be bringing in Top 20 recruiting classes.

You sir a poet

but I love watching a bunch of hide-bound hypocrites have vapors over the way he does things
oh you mean like, Danny Kanell?
Imagine that. Appears Jay Norvell was spending the week studying film and game planning instead of doing interviews and selling sunglasses.
Someone else helpfully points out:

25 years ago this Thursday, Deion Sanders had a pick six on Giants QB Danny Kanell to seal the game on MNF. Kanell would later be benched and never became an NFL starter again
Took Twitter about 4 seconds to be like:

Oh, you mean this Pick 6 that ended Danny Kanell's career?

:lol:

And this wasn't Deion. This was just Twitterverse, searching the history of anyone who badmouths him.

And people keep doing it!! Geez, Kanell, did you really need to drop that Boomer take while the game was still going on? It doesn't matter if CO St played them tough, and that was the point of the tweet. All people remember is the furious dunk on you.

Reports out saying Travis Hunter out 3 weeks.
I'd sit him 4 weeks. They were going to lose to Oregon and USC anyways, so this doesn't really hurt them. And they likely can beat Stanford and Arizona State without him. Then they have a BYE week.

They're likely going 2-2 with or without him, so give him the 6 weeks to fully heal before the massive UCLA game.

We have. But.......

You sir a poet
Oregon covering against Prime Time this week?

Reports out saying Travis Hunter out 3 weeks.
I'd sit him 4 weeks. They were going to lose to Oregon and USC anyways, so this doesn't really hurt them. And they likely can beat Stanford and Arizona State without him. Then they have a BYE week.

They're likely going 2-2 with or without him, so give him the 6 weeks to fully heal before the massive UCLA game.
I can see that. They have been holding out RB Alton McCaskill so far even though he was been pushing to play. Rumors have been he plays this week against Oregon.

Great slate this weekend (with many more potential good ones than listed):

FSU -2.5 @ Clemson
Utah -4.5 v UCLA
Oregon -21 v Colorado
Alabama -7 v Ole Miss
Texas -15 @ Baylor
Penn St -15 v Iowa
Oregon St -3 v Washington St
Ohio State -3 v Notre Dame

Great slate this weekend (with many more potential good ones than listed):

FSU -2.5 @ Clemson
Utah -4.5 v UCLA
Oregon -21 v Colorado
Alabama -7 v Ole Miss
Texas -15 @ Baylor
Penn St -15 v Iowa
Oregon St -3 v Washington St
Ohio State -3 v Notre Dame
That Oregon line is going to bait a lot of ML action.

Did something happen to all the FSU starters that the line is only 2.5 points? Been out of pocket the last couple weeks. What's the deal?
Think it’s a response to the poor effort against BC. I thought I saw a line a week or 2 ago that was -6.
I'm not a big bettor, but this seems like a pretty safe one if everyone for FSU is healthy. :oldunsure:

Of course, I also thought Alabama would handle Texas, but clearly they aren't what I thought they were.

Did something happen to all the FSU starters that the line is only 2.5 points? Been out of pocket the last couple weeks. What's the deal?
Think it’s a response to the poor effort against BC. I thought I saw a line a week or 2 ago that was -6.
I'm not a big bettor, but this seems like a pretty safe one if everyone for FSU is healthy. :oldunsure:

Of course, I also thought Alabama would handle Texas, but clearly they aren't what I thought they were.
Obviously, you’re not Dennis Green.

Line down to FSU -2...I was actually considering Clemson. I think they are better than many think, especially on D.

really enjoy Sanders, shtick and all.
Rooting for Sanders is like rooting for cancer.

What is the beef with this guy? Did I miss him do something like a Big 10 state school coach would do?

I don't mind him, but can definitely see how he could rub people the wrong way with the trash talk etc. I do think there are also people out there that dislike his approach and what it will do to college football, essentially treating it like an NFL team and firing kids. But I think we've mostly been headed down that road for a while anyway.

The one thing that makes me roll my eyes a little bit is he does have that annoying personality trait where he intentionally stirs stuff up and then acts annoyed/bewildered that people are talking about or reporting on the stuff he intentionally stirred up.

Like some of his quotes after this week's game were (paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact quotes) "I don't know why people keep talking about this stuff, we're just trying to play football". That's obviously totally disingenuous. He's definitely leaning into and enjoying all the off the field antics and trash talk. He also had a quote this week that was something like "I could be petty, but I was raised to be better than that" or something to that effect, with this coming like 10 days after he went on a big rant about how he was "keeping receipts" and starting reciting quotes from the offseason and calling out people by name that didn't think the season would go well.

I think the team is fun, but mostly because his son and Hunter are super exciting to watch play football.

ETA: The "I don't know why people keep talking about this stuff" was in response to a question about the post-game handshake with Norvell, after earlier in the week he'd said "when we shake hands at the end of the game, keep the cameras rolling" with a smirk. So yea, pretty cheeky to talk trash about what was going to go down during the post game handshake earlier in the week, and then act put-off that he was being asked about the post-game handshake after.
The schtick is actually a bit dangerous......if you go onto the big social media outlets there's a lot of people calling other people haters/racists/bigots even if they just say ducks are gonna beat the buffs. I think a lot the prime bandwagon does not understand competitive college football fans......and/or don't understand talent/depth/homefield advantage, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread