What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (11 Viewers)

An ultra talented DI is exactly what Detroit is lacking, and the one waiting for them has a wheelbarrow full of red flags. Detroit has strong leadership in it's lock room and the way they preach accountable I think he comes in and gets in line. But it's a polarizing pick, and honestly, sort of makes them look like hypocrites if they select him. Every single time they talk about building the team it's always 100% "it's not just about finding talented guys, they have to be the right kind of player."

Will Levis wanted to throw at the Combine bc he thinks he has a cannon and he wanted to show it off. What we saw is a lot of unimpressive inconsistency. Plus....OK, I know it was a joke, but that mayonnaise in the coffee thing makes me question his decision making process. But seriously I think he has the worst traits of any of the Big 4. Lowest floor, flaws in his mechanics, least mobile, terrible pocket presence. Why would Detroit want to spend the pick on a consolation prize? Same Q only turn it around - who wants to trade up for him? IDK

Potentially a very tough spot if it plays out that way. Glad I don't have to make the decision.

What I'm hoping for is things go squirrely and the Cardinals fall in love with Wilson and Seattle decides it's a good spot to grab a LT or CB. Hoping we have another choice besides Carter or Levis.
We are on the same page 1000%. I would trust DC, AG and Bad Brad if they say Carter can get with the program.

The main question really is how highly does Holmes rate the QB crop this year amd next year. For this year, specifically Levis and Richardson as they are most likely the ones that could be there at 6.
I am not sure next years class matters much. This team isn't planning to be in position to take a marquee QB next year. If we want to get a franchise QB on a rookie deal, this is the year.

Might prefer the depth of next year to this years 3rd- 4th ranked QB. We’ll always still have a mid to late 1st rounder

Per the draft capital chart, to move from 1.06 to 1.03, DET would be gaining 600 points. DET's 2.17 and 3.18 would be 605 points. They'd still have 2 picks in the first, and one in the late 2nd.

You're on the Johnson Chart

Unfortunately the Cardinals are using the Fitzgerald-Spielberger Chart

Gonna take 48, 55, and both of MCDC's double shot Venti Expressos
Wow, what's the Red Bull equivalent? He's a big dude.

The prognosis on the tradeup for Jameson in 2022 is looking very good. It was a position of need and a possibly generational talent. It cost a high 2nd and high 3rd, minus a mid 2nd. I'm sure DET is doing due diligence on lots of players.

You're on the Johnson Chart

Unfortunately the Cardinals are using the Fitzgerald-Spielberger Chart

Gonna take 48, 55, and both of MCDC's double shot Venti Expressos
Wow, what's the Red Bull equivalent? He's a big dude.

The prognosis on the tradeup for Jameson in 2022 is looking very good. It was a position of need and a possibly generational talent. It cost a high 2nd and high 3rd, minus a mid 2nd. I'm sure DET is doing due diligence on lots of players.

yeah my expectation is Brad will surprise us (in a good way)

I saw an interview with James Houston IV after the season ended and he was telling a story about the first time he met MCDC in person. He was pretty intimidated: "Telling ya, Coach is yoked, I was thinking alright don't do anything to piss this guy off."

To move up 20 spots in round 1 without trading a future first was highway robbery.
I was kind of pissed when the trade went down and then I saw what we gave up. Peanuts.

That might not include CJGJ and a couple smaller deals that weren’t updated yesterday - but yes, we can afford it

Rookie class will take up around $8M

Interesting interview with beat writer Justin Rogers. Talked about the Spielman interview (upthread) and his role, FA signings, etc. Last thing they talked about was Jalen Carter.

Rogers went to the Combine & got the sense the Lions are not enamored with him (this was before the misdemeanor warrant.) Just doesn’t fit from the perspective of whether he loves ball and is completely sold out / dedicated to perfecting his craft.

Justin Rogers on Locked On Lions (Matt Dery)

Carter discussion starts around 21:45

The Lions beat writers for both the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News did mocks and both had the Lions drafting offensive lineman Peter Skoronski with the 6th pick. Interesting to say the least.

The Lions beat writers for both the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News did mocks and both had the Lions drafting offensive lineman Peter Skoronski with the 6th pick. Interesting to say the least.

Not the worst idea. Great tackle but because he has Hutch arms everyone assumes he'll be a G. That's a high pick for a G (other teams are thinking they'll try at OT first and if that doesn't work you end up with the next Zach Martin.)

Highly unlikely though - Lions just restructured Halapoulivaati Vaitai to free up $7.4M in Cap Space. Guess who is not getting cut now?

This one was a bit complicated, but essentially gave him $3M and added a void year - obscure 50% rule let's them spread it over two years, only next year's minimum ($1.21M) hits the Cap this year.

Bottom line:

OLD - p5 Base Salary was $9.4M each of the next two years and the Cap Hit was $12.4M and $12.4M.
NEW - Base Salary now $1.21M this year, remaining $1.79 gets spread out over the last two years of his original prorated bonus. New Cap Hits of $5.0M and $3.8M for next years void year

Essentially a 1-yr contract with a Dead Cap (void year) 2024. Given his original prorated bonus was $2.9M + $2.9M - and there's no way to make that go away - this is really a phenomenal get.

Holmes killing it in every aspect of his job.

Mecole got 1-yr $6.5M

that's gotta be the market maker for Chark now, right?

I think homie is having a hard time accepting he's not an 8 figure guy

OBJ came off his ridiculous $15-20M number, hoping DJ has his epiphany soon

need a big body to run alongside ARSB & Jamo

CJGJ contract details are in and it's pretty team friendly
  • reported as 1-yr $8M fully guaranteed
  • p5 base $2.5M
  • signing bonus $4.0
  • void year so the bonus gets spread over two years, so the Capt Hits will be $4.5M and $2.0M
  • Remaining $1.5M is incentives; if the report of $8M fully GTD is accurate these are probably "likely to be attained"; regardless, if he hits the targets the Cap Hit goes to 2024
  • IOW $4.5 + $3.5

The downside to adding void years (which we have been doing a lot of) is potentially lost comp picks, but as always, there's an obscure rule for that.

Comp picks are still eligible for players who have automatic void years built into their initially sign contracts.

If there is a restructure which adds void years, that makes a player ineligible to the comp pick formula.

So for the two I laid out this morning, no comp pick for Big V, but potentially there could be for CJGJ (whom I hope they extend anyway.)

Mecole got 1-yr $6.5M

I think Chark is looking for something he probably can't get and that's a deal longer than one year. The best chance he has is to accept a one year deal with incentives for games played.

Mecole got 1-yr $6.5M

I'd rather sign Charknado than draft a WR early. They are young enough already there and Chark is only 26.

I'd love to have Chark back but only if it's for one year.

he and Goff had good chemistry the second half of the season

Goff had a lot of spectacular big time deep throws to Kalif and DJ last year

they're clearing cap space for something - maybe Brad is thinking about making a move for DHop

heck let's put together a package to get the 3rd pick + Hopkins

they're clearing cap space for something - maybe Brad is thinking about making a move for DHop

I think I'd rather have Chark at his price tag than Hopkins at his, honestly

:confused:

The remaining prorated bonus immediately becomes Dead Cap for the Cardinals.

No GTD remaining.

His p5 base salary $19.450M & $14.915M.

Can walk away whenever we want.

Think about this trio:

WR X - best high point jump ball receiver in the game
WR Y - impossible to cover Slot who catches everything
WR Z - faster than Tyreek and great at crossing routes

Hopkins came back from the suspension last year and paced for 121-1354-6, and that was without Kyler 6 out of 9 games - he's still got it

IDK man, seems like a price we should be willing to pay

He’s either signing with Panthers or coming back to us if they aren’t offering above whatever we have already told him we will give him.

Others bits I’ve heard last few days …

We’ve put more resources into scouting this years QB crop than we did in the previous 2 years.

Trading up to 3 a possibility

Good thing this year is that there are very few positions where any of our draft picks will have to start immediately - maybe linebacker and DT and that’s about it. Still good time to draft a CB as they take a year to find their feet anyway

:confused:

The remaining prorated bonus immediately becomes Dead Cap for the Cardinals.

No GTD remaining.

His p5 base salary $19.450M & $14.915M.

Can walk away whenever we want.

Think about this trio:

WR X - best high point jump ball receiver in the game
WR Y - impossible to cover Slot who catches everything
WR Z - faster than Tyreek and great at crossing routes

Hopkins came back from the suspension last year and paced for 121-1354-6, and that was without Kyler 6 out of 9 games - he's still got it

IDK man, seems like a price we should be willing to pay
I like Hopkins a lot, it's just paying draft capital for him and his salary vs. just lower salary for Chark

Re the WR room we need to remember that Jamo was out for most the year, Chark missed time, as did Reynolds. Yet still we managed. A good OC and offence trumps all.

Reynolds is a reliable and experienced option that Goff trusts and he has put up good numbers when fit. We have Jamo fit and available from the start this time around.

Amon-Ra/Reynolds/Williams/Raymond is not a quartet that necessarily needs an experienced FA on top, although it would be nice.

Chark is welcome back because I think he might still actually be an underrated and undervalued WR that just needs to have a full season of fitness to show how good he is. Less enthused by Hopkins tbh. We can also take someone in the draft in the mid rounds that our scouting team likes and I’d be fine with that.

Doubt it would happen but if Tillman fell to the 3rd round I’d be very tempted. He’s one of the few WRs in this class with prototype size and he looks like an all rounder to me. Would fit in nicely with the other guys currently in this room

The way I would settle this is by saying either one would be good. One less spot to have to draft early at.
I do have concern about the WRs if we do not resign Chark. Would want a vet with upside if we do not. We can not afford a serious injury to St. Brown

We are expecting a lot from Jamo. He is unproven and may struggle. Drafting a WR to replace Chark if needed would mean we would have basically two rookies (Including Jamo as a rookie).

I worry too much.

The way I would settle this is by saying either one would be good. One less spot to have to draft early at.

It's def nice having so many assets, lot of options. Think Detroit has the 3rd or 4th most draft capital overall.

Going to be harder when we are picking last at Ford Field next year.
That's a problem I'd rather have.

I'm hoping we can transfer some draft capital from this draft to next year through trade. It's such an advantage to have multiple high picks each year and it is also there to use if we ever go high for a QB.

It's def nice having so many assets, lot of options. Think Detroit has the 3rd or 4th most draft capital overall.

Going to be harder when we are picking last at Ford Field next year .
and the 4th most cap space right now. It sure feels like a big move is coming. I just don't know who or what.

Re the WR room we need to remember that Jamo was out for most the year, Chark missed time, as did Reynolds. Yet still we managed. A good OC and offence trumps all.
I would counter with:

- Jamo was hurt and the Lions weren't super eager to get him on the field even when we were fighting for a playoff spot. Lets not put too much trust into a WR with 1 career reception.

- Amon Ra got hurt too and it got really grim. We leaned on Hock some then but he's gone. So the team is down a weapon from last year.

- The offense had some rough games when Chark was out. Shut out by New England, 6 points against Dallas, 15 against Green Bay.

remaining WR FAs:

Nelson Agholor
Odell Beckham Jr.
DJ Chark
Kenny Golladay
N’Keal Harry
Julio Jones
Marvin Jones
Jarvis Landry
Sammy Watkins

One of these is not like the others

Recent moves:

CB Amani Oruwariye signed with the Giants.

LB and special teams standout Josh Woods signed with Arizona.

LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin is signing with the Lions.

Recent moves:

Our Special Teams were #1 overall last year per PFF (I think - somebody correct me if I'm misremembering.) Lost a couple of really good 4-phase guys. Lost a couple good ones here to FA - Woods was our Special Teams captain, and Chris Board signed with the Patriots; when we played them, Belichick called him "probably the best STer we'll face all year." Fripp will figure it out, he's one of the best coordinators in the league, but it's just a reminder how each year is it's own deal. You always have to learn how to win all over again because the group is different. The 2010 team finished strong and that carried over to 2011, but it doesn't always work out that way. There's no guarantee the progression will be linear like the Tigers in the early 1980s or the Pistons in the latter part of the decade.

OTC says we're at $26,148,354 in Cap Space but doesn't have the GG deal, but Justin Rogers reported details yesterday:

Graham Glasgow will carry a $2.68 million cap figure in 2023 and an additional $1.47 million cap hit in 2024, which is automatically voided.

Puts us at $23.468M, 4th in the NFL. Today would be a good day to sign DJ Chark.

Recent moves:

Our Special Teams were #1 overall last year per PFF (I think - somebody correct me if I'm misremembering.) Lost a couple of really good 4-phase guys. Lost a couple good ones here to FA - Woods was our Special Teams captain, and Chris Board signed with the Patriots; when we played them, Belichick called him "probably the best STer we'll face all year." Fripp will figure it out, he's one of the best coordinators in the league, but it's just a reminder how each year is it's own deal. You always have to learn how to win all over again because the group is different. The 2010 team finished strong and that carried over to 2011, but it doesn't always work out that way. There's no guarantee the progression will be linear like the Tigers in the early 1980s or the Pistons in the latter part of the decade.

OTC says we're at $26,148,354 in Cap Space but doesn't have the GG deal, but Justin Rogers reported details yesterday:

Graham Glasgow will carry a $2.68 million cap figure in 2023 and an additional $1.47 million cap hit in 2024, which is automatically voided.

Puts us at $23.468M, 4th in the NFL. Today would be a good day to sign DJ Chark.
Special teams should be fine. We lost Woods and Board but did bring back Reeves-Maybin, who is a very good 4-phase special teams player. I also think he offers more as a backup LB than Board did. This is in addition to something you mentioned; we have one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL.

I am still wondering what Holmes will do next. He has done a phenomenal job managing the cap. Between that and the draft he has a lot of flexibility.

Recent moves:

Special teams should be fine. We lost Woods and Board but did bring back Reeves-Maybin, who is a very good 4-phase special teams player. I also think he offers more as a backup LB than Board did. This is in addition to something you mentioned; we have one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL.

I am still wondering what Holmes will do next. He has done a phenomenal job managing the cap. Between that and the draft he has a lot of flexibility.

You may be misremembering Maybin lol he was always out of position, terrible coverage LB. But you're a 100% right he was a ST ace his first tour here.

Kind of hoping we pickup Dorian Williams (Tulane) or DeMarvion Overshown (Texas) in the draft. We need offball guys who can go sideline to sideline or drop into zone. Overshown is an ex-safety and could play a Nick Bolton (Chiefs) type role for us. Williams has great short area burst and could be a Warner/Greenlaw type coverage backers. Those guys are awesome, he's not that good by any means, but he's got the traits to fill that type of role.

I know everyone is in love with Jack Campbell but I'm fine with Rodrigo playing the Mike. There are things I like about Campbell but best fit for him would be a defense that tries to funnel backs inside. He's not much as a pass rusher, staying in coverage, or knifing through for TFL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread