What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (33 Viewers)

One thing interesting about Goff is he has always been at his best in play action. The Lions run 31 percent of their plays off of play action. In those, Goff has an NFL leading passer rating of 124.6 followed by some guy named Patrick MaHomes with 123.

So what did the Lions do? They upgraded the run game by a large amount including both being not only better runners, but better recievers. They added a much better TE option. As good as Hock was, he was not a good RAC guy and he was did not possess that all-in football attitude which IMHO lead to him and Goff not being on the same page and eventually to some INTs. LaPorta is a great YAC guy with great speed and also possesses that 110 percent all-in football IQ guy. And eventually we will have Jamo who is far better than Chark.

In 2018, Goff lead what is now the 13th best offense of all-time. IMHO the 2023 Lions are setting up to exceed that. This team has the makings of getting to the greatest show on turf level. Of course these are all low-value guys, so this is not important.

FYI

There have been a few studies which prove an effective running game is not a prerequisite to successful play action. Simply no correlation. Play action is equally effective whether you can run the ball or not.

FYI

There have been a few studies which prove an effective running game is not a prerequisite to successful play action. Simply no correlation. Play action is equally effective whether you can run the ball or not.

Besides winning, I think I will have more fun mocking these narratives (running backs don't matter, it is a waste to use a first round pick on an RB, and that a good running game has no impact) than anything this season. Now I do agree that trying to establish the run to setup the passing game is a waste of time. I do hate seeing teams waste numerous series at the beginning of a game trying to force establishing the run. But Ben Johnson is not like that. The most optimum offenses relies first on the passing game, but also has a dangerous running attack, like a Marshall Faulk on the Rams. There was not a single WR or QB or DE or CB available that would of had a more positive impact on the 2023 Detroit Lions than what Gibbs is going to have. This draft fell perfectly and was an absolute dream and if we changed any of the order we would have gotten at most 3 of the 5 guys we coveted. The Hooker and Branch picked may have been lucky.....but luck is usually the result of hard work and good preparation.

Yeah I wonder if they take in account the receiving stats that a Faulk type brings to the game. Comparing someone like him to someone like Henry really is two different positions even if they are all lumped together.

Yeah I wonder if they take in account the receiving stats that a Faulk type brings to the game. Comparing someone like him to someone like Henry really is two different positions even if they are all lumped together.
I just can't go around comparing guys drafted last week to GOATs. Faulk makes every modern RB look like a fantasy scrub. In the year 2000, at the age of 27, Faulk averaged 17.3 PPG....just rushing. That is not even factoring in his 81/838/8 receiving. So forgive me if I don't even want to utter his name when talking about a rookie.

I just can't go around comparing guys drafted last week to GOATs. Faulk makes every modern RB look like a fantasy scrub. In the year 2000, at the age of 27, Faulk averaged 17.3 PPG....just rushing. That is not even factoring in his 81/838/8 receiving. So forgive me if I don't even want to utter his name when talking about a rookie.
Just finished rewatching some Gibbs highlights. He's real fast. Rather than compare him to GOATS, I think of him in terms of the next one in a legacy.

Just finished rewatching some Gibbs highlights. He's real fast. Rather than compare him to GOATS, I think of him in terms of the next one in a legacy.
He is a burner for sure.

Looks like Chris Johnson II to me. Even better than his top-end speed is his acceleration. He's rare.

EDIT: Maybe a cross between Chris Johnson and Marshall Faulk.

Gibbs will not be getting the high volume those guys got, 300 carries per season because of Monty, but his ypc are going to be in that 5.5 range and he will also be a 10+ yards per catch guy with more than his share of big plays. Defenses only have so many elite defenders to account for big playmakers. And what Ben Johnson and Goff are going to have fun doing is taking advantage of the gross mismatches that will be available on every play. Amon-Ra....LaPorta....Gibbs....Jamo....Montgomery.... on EVERY play there is going to be a match-up to take advantage of. And that is what Goff excells at and Goff should easily put up his best season with this group of exceptional playmakers. That is the Lions vision and that is why this tunnel narrative of positional value is going to be blown out of the water. Getting talent at TE and RB with elite speed puts this offense over the top.

Looks like Chris Johnson II to me. Even better than his top-end speed is his acceleration. He's rare.

EDIT: Maybe a cross between Chris Johnson and Marshall Faulk.
As a die hard Lions fan and a 1.02 dynasty man, I'll pray for this as hard as I can.

Last edited:
I remember when we drafted a guy by the name of Jahvid Best. His career was shortened by concussions but he was a dynamic threat to take it the distance out of the backfield. I hope Gibbs brings that dynamic to the offense again as it opens up everything and really stresses the defense.

He is a burner for sure.

I'd project Gibbs to be closer to Alvin Karmara-type numbers than Marshall Faulk.

My whole point was all running backs are not the same type and can't be compared to different size "types". These are examples not comparisons.

Last edited:
I remember when we drafted a guy by the name of Jahvid Best. His career was shortened by concussions but he was a dynamic threat to take it the distance out of the backfield. I hope Gibbs brings that dynamic to the offense again as it opens up everything and really stresses the defense.
Darn shame about Best. His career ended as the NFL began to recognize how much concussions could scramble your brain and lead to long term damage.

He was drafted in the first round by the Lions.
Best had a concussion history in college that would have a far greater negative effect on where he would be drafted in today’s NFL.

I like Gibbs, hate how early he was drafted, but the hype is out of control. A cross between Chris Johnson and Marshall Faulk. Averaging 5.5 yards per carry which would be second all time in the NFL. The conductor of this train needs to hit the brakes.

The poor kid is a rookie and I am not even sure he will get a majority of the rb work this year. Montgomery is still a pretty good back himself.

I like Gibbs, hate how early he was drafted, but the hype is out of control. A cross between Chris Johnson and Marshall Faulk. Averaging 5.5 yards per carry which would be second all time in the NFL. The conductor of this train needs to hit the brakes.

The poor kid is a rookie and I am not even sure he will get a majority of the rb work this year. Montgomery is still a pretty good back himself.

Been dozens of players have seasons over 5.5 yards per carry, Kamara in 2017 did 6.1 ypc. Gibbs will not have those short yardage carries, he will have draws and other plays to get him in the open field. Plus our OL is top rate. I see a stat line something like:

165 carries for 925 yards
70 receptions for 810 yards

Then Montgomery will have 200 carries and 25 receptions.

That is the kind of usage he will see, and that is the efficiency they expect to see from Gibbs. That is why they grabbed him. No he will not be the workhorse Faulk was.

Been dozens of players have seasons over 5.5 yards per carry, Kamara in 2017 did 6.1 ypc. Gibbs will not have those short yardage carries, he will have draws and other plays to get him in the open field. Plus our OL is top rate. I see a stat line something like:

165 carries for 925 yards
70 receptions for 810 yards

Then Montgomery will have 200 carries and 25 receptions.

That is the kind of usage he will see, and that is the efficiency they expect to see from Gibbs. That is why they grabbed him.

I meant for a career not a season, but I would take the under on any rb in the league coming into the NFL as a rookie and getting 1700 total yards.

I remember about a year or two out of university my first wife and I took a road trip east. Along the way we stopped in Mount Lebanon to visit my best friend & his bride, spent a day-and-half around Pittsburgh. Went to a popular restaurant in The Hill district, where we overheard some Yinzers talkin’ bout the Stillers (Yinzers have an extensive lexicon that’s kind of hilarious.) I remember being struck by how odd that seemed - weeks after the draft, team was led by mediocre QB -this was years before Big Ben - it’s mid-May, and they’re talking about their NFL team.

That’s our fan base these days. Love it.

I agree and it is not about liking or not liking the player. Gibbs is good.

Heard some thoughts on NFL radio I agree with. Lions could possibly have had Carter, Gibbs and Campbell. Said NE was never going to draft Gibbs as they wanted Gonzo all along.

They also were puzzled as to why Lions left Swift go for a 4th next season as he just turned 24 was only making 1.7 this year. More than that Lions traded Swift to a team that they will probably have to beat if they make the playoffs. Should have moved Swift to the AFC or kept him as injury insurance. Now the Eagles have Carter and Swift.

Swift and Gibby have pretty much the same skill set with Swift being a little more powerful inside.

Holmes said this week they’re still going to add a QB

5 options to add QB depth

Hooker won’t be healthy (& can’t run an NFL style offense rn), Sudfeld ain’t it, Martinez is a scout team / practice squad QB - still need a capable backup.

(also need a CB1 & IDL pass rusher but **sips tea** that’s none of my business)
if only there was some kind of process where teams are able to add young talented CBS and IDL.

Heard some thoughts on NFL radio I agree with. Lions could possibly have had Carter, Gibbs and Campbell. Said NE was never going to draft Gibbs as they wanted Gonzo all along.

They also were puzzled as to why Lions left Swift go for a 4th next season as he just turned 24 was only making 1.7 this year. More than that Lions traded Swift to a team that they will probably have to beat if they make the playoffs. Should have moved Swift to the AFC or kept him as injury insurance. Now the Eagles have Carter and Swift.

Swift and Gibby have pretty much the same skill set with Swift being a little more powerful inside.

If they are puzzled why they got rid of Swift, I really don't think they are following the team that closely. As far as them being the same skillset, that is a total boatload. Swift had terrible hands when catching anything downfield, that game-losing drop was not unusual. Swift could never be trusted running real routes, while Gibbs excels in that area. Swift was soft and never played hurt, missing far too many games. Gibbs is better at hitting the hole and has more explosiveness and top end speed. Swift was behind Williams in the depth chart the last half of the season. The coaching staff had had it with Swift. Swift had one butt cheek and three toes out the door going into the draft.

Passing on Carter vs drafting Carter
Trading Swift away vs acquiring Swift by trade
Drafting Jack Campbell and passing on Nolan Smith vs drafting Nolan Smith

These three decisions by the Lions will serve as measuring sticks in comparing the Eagles and Lions organizations.

The Eagles are considered the best in the NFC going into this season

The Eagles were the team to beat no matter what happened in this draft. Eagles are a Superbowl team, Lions haven't even won a division or playoff game yet.

The Eagles were the team to beat no matter what happened in this draft. Eagles are a Superbowl team, Lions haven't even won a division or playoff game yet.

I look at it is Howie Roseman is the best GM in the NFL. He was willing to take players you passed on. Maybe Holmes knows something Howie doesn't, but right now Howie should get the benefit.

I look at it is Howie Roseman is the best GM in the NFL. He was willing to take players you passed on. Maybe Holmes knows something Howie doesn't, but right now Howie should get the benefit.
I thought it was an obvious thing that Philly was the team to beat. Water is wet.

Holmes and Campbell do not prioritize talent. They would rather have 90 percent of the talent with guys who buy in and have football smarts and give 110 percent, then the most talented players who give 90 percent. They ruled Carter out because it is known he does not go 100 percent on every play. That is also why Hock and Swift are gone. Holmes and Campbell see guys who only give 90 percent as a cancer. They were shopping Swift around prior to the draft. They did not want any part of him even if they had another year of cheap talent.

Campbell and Holmes just love the high motor, highly IQ guys like Hutch, Amon-Ra, Penei, Rodrigo, Campbell, and Branch. These guys are all over-acheivers. It is that kind of effort and dedication which will not only be fun to watch, but will be hard for even more talented teams to beat. Philly will want no part of Detroit in the playoffs.

Holmes and Campbell do not prioritize talent. They would rather have 90 percent of the talent with guys who buy in and have football smarts and give 110 percent, then the most talented players who give 90 percent. They ruled Carter out because it is known he does not go 100 percent on every play. That is also why Hock and Swift are gone. Holmes and Campbell see guys who only give 90 percent as a cancer. They were shopping Swift around prior to the draft. They did not want any part of him even if they had another year of cheap talent.

Campbell and Holmes just love the high motor, highly IQ guys like Hutch, Amon-Ra, Penei, Rodrigo, Campbell, and Branch. These guys are all over-acheivers. It is that kind of effort and dedication which will not only be fun to watch, but will be hard for even more talented teams to beat. Philly will want no part of Detroit in the playoffs.

Lets get there first.

Jameson Williams disagrees with this.

I can't wait for Jamo to play to shut all the critics up. He has received much more bashing from folks than he deserves. The gambling mishap is on him, but the other stuff was nonsense. He is gonna ball out.

I can't wait for Jamo to play to shut all the critics up. He has received much more bashing from folks than he deserves. The gambling mishap is on him, but the other stuff was nonsense. He is gonna ball out.

It has nothing to do with ability. This 90 percent talent, but fits our culture thing. Williams doesn't fit this profile. He isn't this football is life, team above everything else guy you keep preaching about.

Either Williams was a mistake or they reached on Gibbs and Campbell both can't be true in your vision of this team.

It has nothing to do with ability. This 90 percent talent, but fits our culture thing. Williams doesn't fit this profile. He isn't this football is life, team above everything else guy you keep preaching about.

Either Williams was a mistake or they reached on Gibbs and Campbell both can't be true in your vision of this team.
Williams is 100 dedicated. Gibbs was not a reach.

Williams is 100 dedicated. Gibbs was not a reach.

I hope you are right because Lion fans deserve a winner, maybe more than any other fan base, but you are setting yourself up for failure with this attitude that the Lions can do no wrong and everyone is 100 percent all in. It just doesn't work that way for anyone, no one gets them all right and you never have everyone in a workplace setting all buy in.

Jamo and Gibbs are easily the most dynamic offensive players the Lions had on their team not named Billy, Barry or Calvin. I really don't understand all the doubting Thomas's and negativity surrounding them. Oh he is not acting excited enough....oh, he liked a tweet....oh, he is having fun with some friends....oh, positional value....oh, he's drafted too high....

There is always the chance that someone gets hurt....But when Gibbs and Jamo are on the field, it is going to be electric.

Jamo and Gibbs are easily the most dynamic offensive players the Lions had on their team not named Billy, Barry or Calvin. I really don't understand all the doubting Thomas's and negativity surrounding them. Oh he is not acting excited enough....oh, he liked a tweet....oh, he is having fun with some friends....oh, positional value....oh, he's drafted too high....

There is always the chance that someone gets hurt....But when Gibbs and Jamo are on the field, it is going to be electric.

Flea flicker, handoff to Gibby, back to Goff, hits the Jackpot on a bomb.

Jamo hasn't shown any indication of not loving football and giving it his all every play.

Off the field, he's definitely shown some immaturity that he needs to grow out of, but I haven't heard anything about him not fitting the culture on the field (including the practice field).

I was just talking with a friend about Jamo. He must be a beast on the practice field, because his personality seems to be in direct opposition with what they are trying to build as a culture. His red flags extend well beyond just this gambling incident. Local sports talk has had some stories, he's known around the casino's, and he has an arrogance that is outsized for what he has actually accomplished.
I hope he matures and turns into the elite WR we were sold on, but you are ignoring some seriously bright red flags if you don't see the risk in him right now.

Jamo hasn't shown any indication of not loving football and giving it his all every play.

Off the field, he's definitely shown some immaturity that he needs to grow out of, but I haven't heard anything about him not fitting the culture on the field (including the practice field).
Yeah, he flew out with the others to practice with Goff and has been there for off season practices in Allen Park. Like every WR out there he just wants the ball.

I was just talking with a friend about Jamo. He must be a beast on the practice field, because his personality seems to be in direct opposition with what they are trying to build as a culture. His red flags extend well beyond just this gambling incident. Local sports talk has had some stories, he's known around the casino's, and he has an arrogance that is outsized for what he has actually accomplished.
I hope he matures and turns into the elite WR we were sold on, but you are ignoring some seriously bright red flags if you don't see the risk in him right now.
A lot of highly competitive athletes are into gambling, Michael Jordan is famously known for gambling. Most of the local talk guys are idiots and go out of their way to look for junk to be negative on. And really, before Sheila, the Lions were a terribly run franchise and the negativity was justified. But they are completely off base with the crap they say about Jamo. He is an introvert who did not have a strong family upbringing. But he is also confident and realizes he has super elite talent he loves to display on the field. He is pretty damn humble and quiet. Yeah, he thinks he can run a 4.2 40, because he probably can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread