What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (18 Viewers)

Any chance the Cowboys lay down tomorrow and pull their starters early?  I know they said they would not but after seeing the titans and Raiders injuries and especially considering how qb injury killed the Cowboys last year, does anyone think they rethink this position?  
I think Dez gets rest. 

I don't think Dallas lays down tho

So basically MNF doesn't matter.

Next week is for the division title and the likely #4 seed - home playoff game, then @DAL if they win their first playoff game in 25 years.

If they win out, #3 seed, same scenario except @ ATL in three weeks. 

Loser might snag a #6 seed, which would likely mean another one and done for DET.

So basically MNF doesn't matter.

Next week is for the division title and the likely #4 seed - home playoff game, then @DAL if they win their first playoff game in 25 years.

If they win out, #3 seed, same scenario except @ ATL in three weeks. 

Loser might snag a #6 seed, which would likely mean another one and done for DET.
The Lions clinch a playoff spot with a win over Dallas. 

And Dallas a) has no reason to win tomorrow and no need to bring their A or even B game plan, and b) would probably love to screw Washington out of having a chance. 

Caldwell has won more games in his first 3 years than any Lions coach has in the last 60 years. 

He has won more games in his first 3 years than any Lions coach except Buddy Parker in the 87 years the franchise has existed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions–Packers_rivalry?wprov=sfsi1

Such as it is...pretty lopsided, on par with Bengals-Steelers rivalry. 

Caldwell is 2-3.

Stafford is 3-9 all-time v. GB. Completion % is under 60, 23-18 TD/INT, 81.2 rating. He's won in Lambeau and the Lions have been more competitive in the series of late. Ultimately, the litmus test for Matthew is can you beat your rival, the best team and best QB in your division, when it matters most. That to me is his worth as an NFL QB and greatness as a leader distilled down to the simplest measure.

Ghost Rider said:
And Dallas a) has no reason to win tomorrow and no need to bring their A or even B game plan, and b) would probably love to screw Washington out of having a chance. 
Maybe if their 2 most important players weren't rookies. Despite how good Dak and Zeke have been, they are still rookies learning the NFL. There is no coach in his right mind that would rest 2 guys that weren't seasoned veterans that needed the rest and knew how to prepare for just a week off while the team was still playing. I also don't think they rest other players because you would hate to see Zeke or Dak get hurt playing with a bunch of 2nd or 3rd stringers.

The Lions have been able to move the ball well enough but if they want to win either of the last 2 games they have to score more TDs when they get to the red zone. That is where they really miss Theo Riddick. 

In my 24 year redraft, we haven't had a first time winner since 2010. 8 guys have won multiple titles, 2 have one, 2 - both are founding members along with me & 3 others - have never won a title. 

Could change tonight. The other team is done, they need 7.48 in full PPR for their first title. One player left.

Eric Ebron

In my 24 year redraft, we haven't had a first time winner since 2010. 8 guys have won multiple titles, 2 have one, 2 - both are founding members along with me & 3 others - have never won a title. 

Could change tonight. The other team is done, they need 7.48 in full PPR for their first title. One player left.

Eric Ebron
:popcorn:  That one seems like a toss up. Ebron owner with a slight advantage.

what happens in this scenario:

Lions win tonight, lose to GB next week.

would split H2H, both 4-2 in the division 

It would come down to win/loss to common schedule games. who takes that?

Does this game not matter at all to DET?

Wat?

GB won the the first meeting

We'd be 0-2 to Pack after losIng at Lambeau earlier this season 

Any chance the Cowboys lay down tomorrow and pull their starters early?  I know they said they would not but after seeing the titans and Raiders injuries and especially considering how qb injury killed the Cowboys last year, does anyone think they rethink this position?  
The diffence from last year is that Romo is the backup and would be as good, at least, as Dak, their third string QB, Sanchez is also an upgrade from the dreck last year.

oh yeah... I knew that... even checked it before posting. too much kid stuff today.

Well then what about a loss to DAL and  win vs GB... must mean DET wins if they are still in the hunt.
we'd both be 9-6 going into next week.  Winner gets the division with the better record, loser may or may not get in

we'd both be 9-6 going into next week.  Winner gets the division with the better record, loser may or may not get in
idk how my mind isn't understanding this but thanks. was a dumb question. I thought it was possible to tie with splitting the H2H wins and tie in division record but that's not possible

Next week is for the division regardless of what happens tonight. However, Detroit clinches a playoff spot if they beat Dallas.

Apparently it's technically possible for Detroit to move all the way up to the 2-seed, but it would require a bunch of implausible things, including Seattle losing to SF.

Next week is for the division regardless of what happens tonight. However, Detroit clinches a playoff spot if they beat Dallas.

Apparently it's technically possible for Detroit to move all the way up to the 2-seed, but it would require a bunch of implausible things, including Seattle losing to SF.
It'd be one plausible thing (Saints beat Atlanta), one questionable event (Lions beat Pack, one implausible (49ers beat SEA.) #4 seed is most likely, #3 is possible. If they back into a #6 seed who cares, they're not equipped with enough talent to win a road WC game.

That was ugly.  The CBs were exposed without Slay out there.  I missed a big portion of the 2nd half, by the time I was able to turn it on the Cowboys were up 35-21.  What happened to the offense that was so productive in the first half?  If Slay doesn't play against GB, they have no shot.  Rodgers is gonna kill them.

It'd be one plausible thing (Saints beat Atlanta), one questionable event (Lions beat Pack, one implausible (49ers beat SEA.) #4 seed is most likely, #3 is possible. If they back into a #6 seed who cares, they're not equipped with enough talent to win a road WC game.
There is a very good chance they miss the playoffs all together though... if TB wins and DET loses they will be tied for conference record and overall record. Not sure who wins the trip to GB in that scenario... 

Reposting from game thread: talent assessment of 2016 & evaluation for 2017.

Pretty deep DL, good talent. Ansah going into contract year, Haloti probably in his last season. Taylor probably walks.

LBs were exposed at times but schematic changes helped (still a WTF on that Zeke 55 yarder - you could see presnsp exactly what was about to go down, & Dre jumps out of the gap away from the flow.) Need more talent here. When's the last time we had an edge rusher OLB? Scroggins? That was 15 years ago, I must have amnesia.

DBs were solid until Quandre got hurt, Slay was the final nail - you can't win games with PS talent covering a pro bowl WR. Lawson improved, Killebrew has potential. Need depth but who doesn't.

OL was better than expected for the most part, Decker & Graham are solid, Swanson gets healthy they're good there, Warford is a road grader (though whatever the cap hit is to cut Tomlinson, should do it - he's turrible), Reif is servicable. Keep building it, keep adding pieces.

HBs - good when healthy (first 2 games.) We've gone like 50 games or something without a 100 yard rusher but being a dome team we tend to favor scat backs...who seem less durable.

WRs/TEs - Marvin fell off badly, Tate is a effective gadget playmaker, Ebron...ugh...let's see if he takes another incremental step forward. Boldin has been great but need another WR3 next year probably. Considering who they lost, about as expected.

QB - the litmus test is six days away. Either beat the best QB / best team when it matters most or you're just a prettier Jay Cutler. Been good for most of the last season and a half, not as good the last three weeks. Who are the playmakers on this team? Tate and...and....and...exactly.

Ks/STs - overall very good.

Need more playmakers & upgrades in at least four areas (in order: LB, OL, DB, WR) but if you compare to other teams, mediocre talent is the norm. I'm feeling good about Quinn going forward. I've actually come to respect JC. He's not a genius but they're on the right path. He's a good organizer, has made some good hires. Although he's ultimately responsible for everything, he's done a good job of staying out of the way and letting JBC and Austin coach in game. Clock management improved this year. 

People love to rip Caldwell, he's seemingly an easy target & doesn't waste a lot of calories being egotistical. He doesn't care what you or anyone else thinks, he's just not built that way.

SCOREBOARD: Over his first three years, Caldwell has more wins than any Lions coach except Buddy Parker. That's 87 years. More wins than any Lions coach in the Super Bowl era over 3 years (27-20.) I get people are frustrated we can't get to the next level, but "Fire Caldwell" doesn't accomplish much at this point.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS: beat GB at home. That's the simplest & truest measure of success for Caldwell & Stafford. 

It certainly isn’t ideal losing two straight heading into that Packers game, but Detroit still controls its own destiny.
“We get it at our place and a chance to win the division. Beginning of the year, you tell us Week 17 we have a chance to play the Green Bay Packers at home for the division, I’m taking it all day.” --Stafford

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Brew said:
There is a very good chance they miss the playoffs all together though... if TB wins and DET loses they will be tied for conference record and overall record. Not sure who wins the trip to GB in that scenario... 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/27/week-17-playoff-scenarios-3/amp/

"The only route into the playoffs for the Bucs is a win coupled with a Redskins tie, Packers loss and wins by the Titans, Colts, Cowboys and 49ers so it looks like it will be wait til next year in Tampa."

Dr. Brew said:

Bro maybe you should take a day off. Lot of whiffs he last few days. Maybe just take BP today, we'll put you back in the lineup batting cleanup tomorrow.

Bro maybe you should take a day off. Lot of whiffs he last few days. Maybe just take BP today, we'll put you back in the lineup batting cleanup tomorrow.
I know. Been in the clouds all weekend. I don't know what's wrong with me. Been paying attention less since my fantasy league is now over... haven't been watching a lot of football this year in general and haven't been paying attention too well. 

I know. Been in the clouds all weekend. I don't know what's wrong with me. Been paying attention less since my fantasy league is now over... haven't been watching a lot of football this year in general and haven't been paying attention too well. 
Next you're gonna tell me you're spending quality time with your family.

GL this week. With no Slay, AR should have a nice scrimmage.

Where we drafting, 21st??

Next you're gonna tell me you're spending quality time with your family.

GL this week. With no Slay, AR should have a nice scrimmage.

Where we drafting, 21st??
Slay out? 

I'm not so sure it's a guaranteed win. GB is playing well but barely beating CHI was an eye opener. MIN was easy at home because it was at home and MIN is a disaster. Det on the road is going to be very tough. No Slay would be awesome, but GB has equally bad a secondary and the injuries keep piling up

Fairly predictable team. Can beat most teams that are not that good and can't beat many that are any good. Somewhat better at home which gives them the money line chance this week of about 2 out of 5. The way they have looked recently I would not bet them, but stranger things have happened.

Interesting how similar DET and GB are this season: 

Both have injured RBs
Both have injured LBs
Both have injured DBs
Both have QBs in the MVP discussion

Imagine what both of these teams would be like if they were fully healthy...

Fairly predictable team. Can beat most teams that are not that good and can't beat many that are any good. Somewhat better at home which gives them the money line chance this week of about 2 out of 5. The way they have looked recently I would not bet them, but stranger things have happened.
It's not just that this team is fairly predictable. The franchise has been fairly predictable.

Since the AFL-NFL merger, 11 playoff appearances - over a 46 season span (excluding this year.) Of those playoff games, they played two home games and nine on the road.

10 times they have been one and done.

Home: 1-1 (beat Dallas 1991, lost to GB 1993 the week after they won in the Silverdome for their last division title 23 years ago.

Away: 0-10 1970, 1982, 1983, 1991 NFC Championship, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2011, 2014.

2017 RFA: 

TJ Jones WR $600K

Brandon Copeland OLB $525K

Khyri Thornton DT $525K

Cornelius Lucas RT $516.7K

2017 UFA:

Anquan Boldin WR $2.75M

Riley Reiff RT $1.998M

Stefan Charles DT $1,75M

Tyrunn Walker DT $1,6M

Rafael Bush FS $1.5M

Dan Orlovsky QB $1.065M

Don Muhlbach LS $1.065

Jon Bostic ILB $985.2K

Clay Harbor TE $885K

Matthew Mulligan TE $885K

Tim Wright TE $815K

Larry Warford G $768.8K

Andre Roberts WR $760K

Josh Bynes OLB $760K

Joique Bell RB $760K

Asa Jackson CB $760K

Devin Taylor DE $615K

Amazingly, a year after we fired the capologist (kick the can down the road Tom Lewand), we should be in good shape. We'll go into the offseason with about $35.9M in cap space.

Stop Jordy and you stop the packers.  My hands are clasped and my eyes gaze upward in prayer that the Lions accomplish it and win

Users who are viewing this thread