What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (29 Viewers)

Great schedule, right? I saw someone post the Lions basically have the least amount of travel in the league.

fewest time zone changes & 6th fewest miles

Todays travel is so different. I remember when Lions played at Miami a few years back. Lions played Miami at 1pm, at 7:30pm I saw Jeff Backus at the CVS by our house. Probably buying some Advil.

The road games now the plane ready to depart as soon as the team arrives.
@colton_pouncy
·
1h

Sam LaPorta was the best player on the field at Lions rookie minicamp and it wasn’t particularly close. Very impressive day.

One of those guys we reached for. Holmes does his homework. He maybe the hardest working GM in football.

Martin was a reach. LaPorta was not really a reach. Lions needed a pass catching TE and if they wanted him they had to take him there as he would have been taken soon after.

Great schedule, right? I saw someone post the Lions basically have the least amount of travel in the league.

Todays travel is so different. I remember when Lions played at Miami a few years back. Lions played Miami at 1pm, at 7:30pm I saw Jeff Backus at the CVS by our house. Probably buying some Advil.

@colton_pouncy
·
1h

Sam LaPorta was the best player on the field at Lions rookie minicamp and it wasn’t particularly close. Very impressive day.

One of those guys we reached for. Holmes does his homework. He maybe the hardest working GM in football.

Martin was a reach. LaPorta was not really a reach. Lions needed a pass catching TE and if they wanted him they had to take him there as he would have been taken soon after.
LoL...Judging by the reactions to the pick in this thread it was. Mayer was better. Why are we picking a TE? Nobody had a favorable thing to say about the pick.

I really loved our first five picks. Not sold on Martin yet, but if he plays a significant role in the rotation, I am good with the pick. The Lions knew the guys they wanted and moved around to make sure they got them. They all do sound good interviews.

@colton_pouncy
·
1h

LoL...Judging by the reactions to the pick in this thread it was. Mayer was better. Why are we picking a TE? Nobody had a favorable thing to say about the pick.

I really loved our first five picks. Not sold on Martin yet, but if he plays a significant role in the rotation, I am good with the pick. The Lions knew the guys they wanted and moved around to make sure they got them. They all do sound good interviews.

Does not matter the reactions on this board. LaPorta was projected to be a second rd pick and that where he was drafted. Most teams had Mayer before him but he still would have been gone to another team in the second round so technically it was not a reach.

If anything Campbell was more of a reach as most pundits had him going in the second rd.

I don’t [know] which movie/show to attribute this to - saw it while cruising around titles on Netflix or another streaming service, the auto play started the trailer.

(character is giving someone a tour of the office, stops at the legal department)

Q
Hey what’s legalese for “you’re a complete idiot”?

A
(from lawyer character)

***pause*** You have no ability to grasp basic concepts.

I find it easier to keep people on ignore rather than explain basic logic, point out common fallacies, and reiterate simple tenets that have been previously stated. I don’t know how some of y’all do it but thanks. I don’t have the patience to engage but I’m grateful many of you are up for it. You are (collectively) a better person than myself in that regard.

Feels better for my mental health to just shrug & move on. Some things just aren’t worth burning ten calories over.

Does not matter the reactions on this board. LaPorta was projected to be a second rd pick and that where he was drafted. Most teams had Mayer before him but he still would have been gone to another team in the second round so technically it was not a reach.

If anything Campbell was more of a reach as most pundits had him going in the second rd.

Agreed, I searched for “Mayer” under “this thread” and looked at all the draft night discussion. It’s not that anyone was banging the table for the ND TE, it’s just that 100% of Big Boards had him higher. Went with the next pick. Musgrave was betwixt them in consensus ranks.

Mayer had an insane blocking grade - on mobile but IIRC it was around 90, whereas LaPorta was in the mid-50s. The Iowa TE also had a lot of drops in college. Can’t block & drops (+ not wanting to pay him) were why we moved on from the last guy. But he does move like a WR, he looks nothing like any TE we’ve had running routes from the Slot.

I like him personality wise. His YAC is intriguing, that’s one thing we never got from Hock. We’ll see how it works out. Nobody knows.

Campbell is growing in on me. His 4.65 is a considerably slower time than Rodrigo (4.52) but his tape in quarters zone looks good. He doesn’t have the ability to flip his hips and mirror in coverage. But I like his read and react.

All of the first four picks are going to contribute Y1. Branch has the hardest path (bc of depth) to earn snaps but he is so instinctual. Guy is always in the right place, literally never misses a tackle.

I don’t think LaPorta has a big year statistically bc it’s just a really complex transition. Even guys like Andrews and Kittle were meh as rookies. But long term he should work out.

Last edited:

Agreed, I searched for “Mayer” under “this thread” and looked at all the draft night discussion. It’s not that anyone was banging the table for the ND TE, it’s just that 100% of Big Boards had him higher. Went with the next pick. Musgrave was betwixt them in consensus ranks.

Mayer had an insane blocking grade - on mobile but IIRC it was around 90, whereas LaPorta was in the mid-50s. The Iowa TE also had a lot of drops in college. Can’t block & drops (+ not wanting to pay him) were why we moved on from the last guy. But he does move like a WR, he looks nothing like any TE we’ve had running routes from the Slot.

I like him personality wise. His YAC is intriguing, that’s one thing we never got from Hock. We’ll see how it works out. Nobody knows.

Campbell is growing in on me. His 4.65 is a considerably slower time than Rodrigo (4.52) but his tape in quarters zone looks good. He doesn’t have the ability to flip his hips and mirror in coverage. But I like his read and react.

All of the first four picks are going to contribute Y1. Branch has the hardest path (bc of depth) to earn snaps but he is so instinctual. Guy is always in the right place, literally never misses a tackle.

I don’t think LaPorta has a big year statistically bc it’s just a really complex transition. Even guys like Andrews and Kittle were meh as rookies. But long term he should work out.

Obviously you are not ignoring it by making a long response. Instead of declaring me an idiot for not following the conventional wisdom of the experts, why not wait and see how these picks work out? I completely understand the logic of why the Lions moved on from players like Swift and Hock. LaPorta was a replacement for a guy with similar skill set because Hock never bought into the culture Campbell was trying to create. None of the TE we had were weapons and Dan Campbell wanted one despite the fact he just got rid of one. You may want to pound your head in the wall, but it is you who are not getting it. Instead you want to drown in analytics which doesn't take character issues, culture, and other circumstances into account. Just wait and see and stop the hate.

@colton_pouncy
·
1h

I see the Lions draft board as very thin. The Lions look at consensus ranking but they also have intel on other teams who are interested at players on the Lions board. Brad maneuvers around targeting very specific players at very specific spots. I believe Brad specifically targetted both LaPorta and Campbell and felt LaPorta had the best chance to fall. We have had several GMs who shallowly look at consensus rankings in the past and draft accordingly and the results were terrible. Brad takes a much deeper dive and has a comprehensive overall draft strategy which is yielding a far higher success rate than the Lions have ever seen.

Obviously you are not ignoring it by making a long response. Instead of declaring me an idiot for not following the conventional wisdom of the experts, why not wait and see how these picks work out? I completely understand the logic of why the Lions moved on from players like Swift and Hock. LaPorta was a replacement for a guy with similar skill set because Hock never bought into the culture Campbell was trying to create. None of the TE we had were weapons and Dan Campbell wanted one despite the fact he just got rid of one. You may want to pound your head in the wall, but it is you who are not getting it. Instead you want to drown in analytics which doesn't take character issues, culture, and other circumstances into account. Just wait and see and stop the hate.

Hate? Not sure where you get hate from Bobby just stating facts. If Lions had taken Mayer or Musgrave you would be saying the same thing. " Lions got their guy" I get it ,you are drinking the Blue Kool-Aid right now. I want to drink it too! But lets make a playoff run first.

Biggest need that has to be taken care of is a backup QB. Either Teddy or Foles. If Goff has to miss any time the season is over before it starts.

Probably the analogies with "complete idiot”, "ignore", point out "common fallacies", and "reiterate simple tenets"....were not based in respect and love. Yeah, I have some blind faith in Brad, because he has completely earned that. I understand what he is doing and why some moves that don't make any sense to the outside observers (Swift and Hock) were vital in building the type of team they want....winners.

Tweaked an ankle. Nothing serious at all, just being cautious with their new sports car.

Branch sat out a day or two as well. They're trying to evaluate a couple dozen UDFA rookies and another 10-15 rookie tryout guys, probably helps to thin the herd for the day by letting the rookie stars with minor nicks have a day off.

Detroit Lions to host Jacksonville Jaguars for joint practices

The Detroit Lions will host two different teams for joint practices during 2023 training camp: the New York Giants and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Like this a lot. Adds another layer of intensity to TC practices. Especially like that both our joint practices are fellow risers in the Power Rankings. Similar arc for all three, positive cultural change preceded by hiring a competent & well-respected coach.

They're operating with a lot of intentionality over in Allen Park. Everything geared toward getting just a little bit more out of the players this year. Quite the evolution, eh?
  • "The Bar is HIGH."
    MFer sit down you don't know ****. Assclowns probably meant the 3Fifty Lounge.
  • "9-7 ain't good enough."
    Biatch you barely won nine games in three years. Please leave. No...no, I will not give you a letter of....you on crazy pills? We are never speaking your name again.
  • "You might knock us down but we're getting back up, and we're gonna take piece out of you when we do."
    Damn. Dayum, Dan. Go on! Wait...there's two of you? Y'all are both positive af AND you know what you're doing? Where are my pills? Momma put Hybrid Theory back on stuff is happening.

The rap on Swift is that he could not catch, did not play hurt, did not hit holes, left yardage of the field.
When Campbell said there are not turds here, the way they discarded Hock, Swift and Okuda probably indicated that they fell into the turd category. All of them had talents, but none of them put the effort in to become great.

70 targets with only 48 receptions last season with an 8.1 yard average. That is not effective at all.

He only had 3 dropped passes last season.

Also if you're going to bring up the 70 targets with only 48 receptions you should probably mention the other years where he had 57 targets with 46 receptions and 78 targets with 62 receptions.

70 targets with only 48 receptions last season with an 8.1 yard average. That is not effective at all.

He only had 3 dropped passes last season.

Also if you're going to bring up the 70 targets with only 48 receptions you should probably mention the other years where he had 57 targets with 46 receptions and 78 targets with 62 receptions.
Maybe he did not respond that well to Duce being in his ear. But he was sitting on the bench a lot the last part of the season while healthy. They did not like him out there for some reason. He could very well work out in Philly.

Swift couldn't catch? Where'd that come from? The only things about Swift that I heard were vision and injury.
Same... never heard, nor saw in my view, the hands being an issue. Just vision/poor decisions with the ball in his hands, and health.

yeah other than dropping the game winner in first NFL game I don't remember him having bad hands

his catch rate did drop from 80% to 68% last year but drop rate was only 5.7%

(90%+ isn't unheard of for RBs as dump offs and screens are often uncontested)

Vivaldi’s Four Seasons is so good (duh) and I don’t know if the piece I took today invented “shredding” but it sure as hell shreds even for modern metal standards. 300 years old and it’s still goes hard.
Yes, and there are some really good metal covers of it on YouTube. But what does it have to do with the Lions, are they looking for a new fight song?

Vivaldi’s Four Seasons is so good (duh) and I don’t know if the piece I took today invented “shredding” but it sure as hell shreds even for modern metal standards. 300 years old and it’s still goes hard.
Yes, and there are some really good metal covers of it on YouTube. But what does it have to do with the Lions, are they looking for a new fight song?

Brother man we've 16 weeks and 2 days until we shock the world at Arrowhead. We're probably overdue for a deep dive discussion of Spring versus No Leaf Clover.

lol obviously was tired last and got my threads mixed up. Looking now, for some reason had 2 FBG tabs up on two different threads.

Last edited:
John Parker Romo vs Michael Badgley

Based on name excitement John Parker Romo obvious winner
It's like the Tiger's Justin Henry Malloy. Get rid of some old tired player and put this guy in if only for the cooler name. 🏈 ⚾
John Parker Romo vs Michael Badgley

Based on name excitement John Parker Romo obvious winner
It's like the Tiger's Justin Henry Malloy. Get rid of some old tired player and put this guy in if only for the cooler name. 🏈 ⚾
They need a find a way to bring him up.

Imagine missing out on Hutchinson bc of ping pong balls.

Lotteries are stupid.
there was so much blatant tanking going on for so long by the Pistons it was hard to keep watching. Fans are upset of course to go through that and end up with the fifth pick. But there’s some justice to it.

Just a pet peeve on horrible use of statistics.....That is an overly simplistic and incorrect way to project final records. For instance, just because the Cardinals are underdogs in all 17 games does not mean they are expected to go 0-17. What should be done is to look at the point spread of each game, and based on historical averages of that point spread assign the probability of them winning each game. For instances, let's say that the Cardinals are 7 point dogs in each game which historically means they have a 25 percent chance of winning. Then over 17 games, they would still be expected to go 4-13....not 0-17.

Just a pet peeve on horrible use of statistics.....That is an overly simplistic and incorrect way to project final records. For instance, just because the Cardinals are underdogs in all 17 games does not mean they are expected to go 0-17. What should be done is to look at the point spread of each game, and based on historical averages of that point spread assign the probability of them winning each game. For instances, let's say that the Cardinals are 7 point dogs in each game which historically means they have a 25 percent chance of winning. Then over 17 games, they would still be expected to go 4-13....not 0-17.
72% of all statistics are made up anyway.

That is an overly simplistic and incorrect way to project final records.

Everyone understands that. It’s lighthearted & farcical.
I would not say everyone. A couple of the most famous Lions Podcaster on YouTube could not reconsile why the Lions were favored in 12 games, but their over under for wins was just 10. They contemplated looking at teams with the biggest differential and betting. Most people are easily fooled by stats.

Apparently the Lions only had 14 first round grades on players....they were able to draft 4 of them. If their evaluation is accurate, that is one heck of a draft.

Lions are 25th in positional spending for DL. Looking around various services for DL rankings, consensus puts them at 21st-23rd.

Hutch, Alim, Houston (maybe), and a lot of bodies. Maybe one or two of Harris, R Okwara, Onwuzurike, or Paschal stays healthy.Maybe Cominsky truly is born again. Buggs is a run stuffer but doesn't offer anything on passing downs. Martin is a 2-year project, way too upright and lacks functional strength.

The LB got serious injection and we have four new DBs (3 FA + rookie) who lift the floor of that room considerably. But we all know the key to good defense is setting the edge (hello, Carolina game) and getting consistent pressure. Just have a nagging feeling we will regret not investing more. Look at virtually all of the Top Ten DL teams and what they do in drafts; they often walk out with 3-4 new DL, even when their starters are solid. Deep rotations of truly talented players. IDK, that group worries me more than any other position. Roster is solid overall.

PFF invited me to beta test a season simulator. You are given the existing roster, and once it's fully functional, adjust lineups and can even tweak player grades. But the latter two haven't been rolled out yet, so all I can do is simulate seasons with whatever the default setup is.

Frustrating bc with the default settings, LaPorta is being woefully underutilized, and Jamo is a complete flop.

My first 4 simulations:
  • 5-12, total disaster. Started out 2-6 and it never got better.
  • 9-8 - was rolling along at 8-4 then heartbreakingly lost 4 of the last 5 to finish 9-8.
  • 13-4 - started out 9-1, never lost more than 2 in a row. Goff 4600 33-12, ARSB 115-1350 7, Gibby & Monty 2300 13 TDs and 80 receptions. Jamo flops but MJJ steps up, Josh is a RZ monster.¿
  • 9-8 - Goff 4500 28-7, MJJ has a better season than ARSB, Jamo flops, LaPorta nothing, Monty & Gibby 2200 YFS 18 TDs
Anyway, kind of boring with the Adjust Lineups & Adjust Player Grades not released yet, but will keep you posted.

Lions LB Jack Campbell's rare mental acuity, untapped physical gifts thrill position coach

Allen Park

Of all the prospects Detroit Lions linebacker coach Kelvin Sheppard talked to and met before this year's draft, three stood out.

One, Alabama's Will Anderson Jr., came off the board before the Lions even had a shot. The Houston Texans traded up nine spots to No. 3, making him the first defensive player off the board.

Another, Nolan Smith, lingered until the end of the first round. He went No. 30 to the Eagles, a few spots before the Lions took tight end Sam LaPorta early in Round 2. And if we're being realistic about Smith, the 6-foot-2, 238-pound edge rusher probably wasn't an ideal schematic fit for Detroit.

The third player who captured Sheppard's attention was Iowa's Jack Campbell, who the team boldly selected No. 18 overall, two rounds and nearly 40 picks before the next off-ball linebacker.

The night the team drafted Campbell, Sheppard described how members of the coaching staff had exchanged glances following a formal interview with the linebacker and agreed it would be tough for another prospect to top that meeting.

In a sit-down interview last week with The Detroit News, Sheppard elaborated on what set Campbell apart.

"These days, many of these kids don't even watch football outside of their own stuff," Sheppard said. "So I would say to be on the level (of understanding) he was on is very rare. It was the intensity. His leg was shaking while he was answering questions. He was sitting on the edge of his seat.

"And watching him conceptualize things," Sheppard continued. "Look, multiple linebackers that I talked to could tell you what the Will linebacker does on a play, but to see Jack conceptualize and think it through — 'OK, with that motion the safety is about to spin, they're going to layers here, Coach' — then, when stopping the tape, asking him 'Why do you think this happens?' And him being able to answer it, and his tone, his confidence with those answers."

Watching Lions defensive tape in that meeting for the first time, Sheppard said Campbell was so advanced he would have been one of the top processors in the team's linebacking room last year.
"That's where this kid is at with the cerebral piece of it," Sheppard said.

Since the draft, Campbell has dove head first into that film. Not because he was asked, because the coaching staff can't technically do that, but because it was important to him. And the rookie has been blowing up his position coach's phone with questions seemingly every hour, not just about the play designs, but wanting to know the philosophical reasoning behind the calls in particular situations.

"For me, it's all about just getting a base and a foundation for understanding the defense," Campbell said. "I'm still a long ways away from where I need to be. That's just honesty. I'm just going to keep learning, keep working. Obviously the vets aren't out here yet, but when they come in, watch how they operate, watch how they carry themselves, try to take bits and pieces from each of them that I think can help me. But if you can't do it on the mental side as a Mike linebacker, you're probably not going to live up any dreams and aspirations that you set for yourself individually."

Campbell is a coach's dream. He embodies the eat-sleep-dream football mentality. LaPorta, his college roommate at Iowa, joked Campbell's room was a bit messy. The linebacker didn't disagree, but said it was because he didn't have time to worry about something so trivial during the season.
Clearly taking a few minutes to put away clutter only distracted him from thinking about football.

As a player at Iowa, Campbell's numbers jump off the page. It starts with his frame. He's unusually large for the position, standing 6-foot-5, 249 pounds. Then there's the 265 tackles, four interceptions and two forced fumbles he racked up the past two years. And finally, there's the chart-busting athleticism he displayed at the scouting combine, showcasing elite explosion, burst and change-of-direction that are critical to the position.

Still, when Sheppard threw on the college tape, that athleticism often was hidden by the way Iowa used Campbell. Mind you, it's tough to argue with the results. The Hawkeyes were one of the best defenses in the country last season, allowing just 13.3 points per game. They didn't need to do anything different.

"I told him, 'I see your movement skills are better than what I see on tape,'" Sheppard said. "Then you ask him what were you doing at Iowa. He was doing what he was asked to do. They weren't really unlocking his full potential as an athlete at college, because he'll tell you, at Iowa, we play a tough brand of football focused on stopping the run. We're hard-nosed, downhill, shock people.
"So they don't, the phrase I like to use, get spicy, where you'd see him doing exotic blitzes and showing off some of that athleticism," Sheppard said. "Learning that, seeing it, I think there's a lot of untapped potential in this kid."

Campbell has zero complaints about how Iowa used him. He almost sounds offended by the question, which is understandable because of the results, both on the field and the fact he got drafted in the first round. He's not clamoring to do different things in Detroit, only to do what he's asked. If that's blitzing more — and it probably will be based on what Sheppard is saying — Campbell just wants to perfect the skills needed to be successful in that role. The same with playing more man coverage, which he said he anticipates doing more in Detroit than he did at Iowa.

Obviously, being drafted where he was, there are lofty expectations for Campbell. But he's not being guaranteed anything, nor does he want or expect that. The Lions have proven under current leadership, at every position, including linebacker, the best players will play. Look no further than Malcolm Rodriguez last year, when he earned a starting job out of training camp as a sixth-round draft pick.

Sheppard intends to treat Campbell like any other player in his room, building the rookie's knowledge of the scheme and his role within it from the ground up. But the player's eager pursuit of that knowledge is sure to make the process smoother.

And if Campbell is able to apply that gained knowledge on the practice field at the same rate he's building his mental understanding, it won't be long before he finds himself playing significant snaps on Detroit's defense.

"Obviously, I have to earn everything I get," Campbell said. "Pick one through, what is it, 260? Once you get into the building you're all the same. That's my approach right now. The physical talent is pretty much even across the board and the mental side, that's how you can set yourself apart."

Users who are viewing this thread