What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (7 Viewers)

I've been having a blast with beta testing the PFF Season Simulator. It's crazy how much variance there is in one score games and turnovers. Still can't believe MIN went 11-0 in one score games last year.

Bills, Eagles and 49ers are doing poorly so far. But it's not a very predictive model IMO, needs a lot of cleanup. Still, we know that the last three years, 50% of playoff teams missed the previous season....the any given Sunday randomness is sobering.

Frank Ragnow’s toe injury is non-operable, but Lions Pro Bowler feeling optimistic

Dangit. This is why I wanted them to draft Steve Avila so bad. I know he's tough as nails but looks like it might be another season of limited practices for 77.

Bucs Draft Night War Room

Their priority was Kancey at 19 (at least in this edited video), but their other Top 2 choice was Jack Campbell.

I've been having a blast with beta testing the PFF Season Simulator. It's crazy how much variance there is in one score games and turnovers. Still can't believe MIN went 11-0 in one score games last year.

Bills, Eagles and 49ers are doing poorly so far. But it's not a very predictive model IMO, needs a lot of cleanup. Still, we know that the last three years, 50% of playoff teams missed the previous season....the any given Sunday randomness is sobering.

Frank Ragnow’s toe injury is non-operable, but Lions Pro Bowler feeling optimistic

Dangit. This is why I wanted them to draft Steve Avila so bad. I know he's tough as nails but looks like it might be another season of limited practices for 77.

Their priority was Kancey at 19 (at least in this edited video), but their other Top 2 choice was Jack Campbell.
Have to hope Sorsdal helps.Can Avila or Sorsdal play center? Who is Ragnow’s backup?

Have to hope Sorsdal helps.Can Avila or Sorsdal play center? Who is Ragnow’s backup?

Avila was drafted by the Rams with pick 36

I believe Ross Pierschbacher is the backup. 11 career games as a special teamer, one (1) lifetime offensive snap. That can't be right.

Checks depth chart
.....Graham Glasgow, who we brought back from the Broncos. He played some center...back in 2018.

I believe Ross Pierschbacher is the backup. 11 career games as a special teamer, one (1) lifetime offensive snap. That can't be right.

Checks depth chart.....Graham Glasgow, who we brought back from the Broncos. He played some center...back in 2018.
I would tend to think that having an inoperable injury will limit his career. There comes a time when the pain outweighs the gains
Lions may need to be planning for his successor

Checks depth chart.....Graham Glasgow, who we brought back from the Broncos. He played some center...back in 2018.
I would tend to think that having an inoperable injury will limit his career. There comes a time when the pain outweighs the gains
Lions may need to be planning for his successor

all this was known going onto the off-season

we invested in both lines the first two years. highly unlikely either Martin or Sorsdal ever amount to anything but we’ll see. like them both as good guys who will work hard, they’re not done developing. we’re not threadbare by any means but I was def surprised they went cheap this year.

Watched Superbowl 13 again yesterday between the Steelers and Cowboys
Can’t recall a game that had such ferocious hitting as this one
Someone was being walked off the field every 3rd play
They reported that Terry Bradshaw was being given smelling salts on the sideline yet he played the whole game. Some of those hits would have been penalized in current NFL and Bradshaw would have been likely pulled from the game

Noticed how many fewer replay cameras were being used. TV coverage is so much better now

Also helmets seemed flimsier and seemed smaller than their heads

Announcers said Bradshaw had never thrown for 300 yards going into the game. Which would be out of place for a championship team in the current NFL

The main running backs Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier for the Steelers and Tony.Dorsey and Robert Newhouse for the Cowboys all had long careers and each played at least 10 years. It’s rare for a running back to last that long in the current NFL

PFF (Sam Monson) handed out offseason grades for all 32 teams. Six teams (3 AFC North, 2 NFC East, Seattle) received an A.

Lions were in the next tier. Importantly, no one in the NFC North exceeded them.

DETROIT LIONS

Offseason Grade: A-​

The Lions have had an exceptional offseason. They set about free agency filling all of their biggest holes on the roster, buying the team the flexibility to draft the best player available and not have to chase needs. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Emmanuel Moseley and Cameron Sutton could all see the majority of snaps in the secondary, while David Montgomery can carry the load at running back and Graham Glasgow provides valuable interior stability on the offensive line.

Their draft was a curious run of low-value positions, but it’s hard to dislike the players they drafted. Jahmyr Gibbs is the most difficult pick to endorse from an opportunity-cost standpoint, but the Lions brought in some excellent players. Quarterback Hendon Hooker in the third round is an outstanding roll of the dice in a way it would not have been in the first round.

Goal #1 for this year is winning the NFC North and securing a home playoff game. I think they have a good enough roster to have loftier goals for 2023, but first things first. Keep the main thing the main thing.

Projected starters (PFF grades)

DETROIT LIONS

OFFENSEDEFENSE
QB Jared Goff (72.4)DI Alim McNeill (69.8)
RB David Montgomery (67.9)DI Isaiah Buggs (53.9)
RB Jahmyr Gibbs (82.6*)Edge Aidan Hutchinson (80.7)
WR Amon-Ra St. Brown (90.7)Edge James Houston IV (80.2)
WR Josh Reynolds (64.1)Edge John Cominsky (68.2)
WR Jameson Williams (63.4)LB Jack Campbell (91.9*)
TE Sam LaPorta (80.1*)LB Alex Anzalone (59.2)
LT Taylor Decker (74.4)CB Cam Sutton (71.6)
LG Jonah Jackson (66.1)CB Emmanuel Moseley (70.9)
C Frank Ragnow (77.9)CB Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (65.0)
RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai (68.4**)S Brian Branch (89.5*)
RT Penei Sewell (80.6)S Tracy Walker (74.3)

X-Factor for 2023: WR Jameson Williams

Having played only six games as a rookie due to injury, Williams was slated for a bigger role in 2023 before he was suspended six games for gambling. However, because of the lack of receiving depth on the roster, Williams will have every opportunity to become a major contributor upon his return.

Still see the Lions as the most improved team in the NFL this season. We have significant upgrades in 7 or 8 positions. We had not real game breakers on offense last season, this year we will have two or possibly even three. Even the positions we did not upgrade, we should see improvements from guys who were rookies last season. The biggest concern is how quickly Goff will gel with the new guys. I doubt if Goff is able to extend his streak of games without an interception. I think the Lions will snag the #2 seed and make it to the NFC championship.

DETROIT LIONS

OFFENSEDEFENSE

Having played only six games as a rookie due to injury, Williams was slated for a bigger role in 2023 before he was suspended six games for gambling. However, because of the lack of receiving depth on the roster, Williams will have every opportunity to become a major contributor upon his return.

I don't understand PFF ratings. Seems like they overrate rookies big time. Also, I looked at the Eagles PFF grades and they have Cam Jurgens as a RG at 72.7, and Landon Dickerson who just made the Pro Bowl at LG as a 72.1.

DETROIT LIONS

OFFENSEDEFENSE

I don't understand PFF ratings. Seems like they overrate rookies big time. Also, I looked at the Eagles PFF grades and they have Cam Jurgens as a RG at 72.7, and Landon Dickerson who just made the Pro Bowl at LG as a 72.1.
Pro Bowl is just a popularity contest. I have zero clue about the quality of play those 2 Eagles OL but I wouldn't put too much stock into a Bowl appearance/

I wouldn't put too much stock into a Bowl appearance/

On the Lions side, while all 4 Lions Pro Bowlers from last year are good players, Goff, ARSB & Sewell were all Pro Bowl alternates who got in bc the Eagles made the SB. Only Ragnow made the team initially (his 2nd.)

OTOH, Goff had a better year than Cousins and deserved his 3rd PB. The selection process leaves a lot to ge desired.

DETROIT LIONS

OFFENSEDEFENSE

Pro Bowl is just a popularity contest. I have zero clue about the quality of play those 2 Eagles OL but I wouldn't put too much stock into a Bowl appearance/

Landon Dickerson was the starting LG for the Eagles last season. Cam Jurgens was the backup center that the Eagles are going to try and move to RG to replace Isaac Seumalo. Dickerson was/is a really, really good guard. Jurgens is going to be playing out of position until Jason Kelce retires and may not even be the starter at guard.

Another questionable rating for Philly. Brandon Graham was rated an 89.8 and Haason Reddick was rated an 84.6. Or James Bradberry rated a 71.7 and the Eagles nickel corner who was hurt most of last season, Avonte Maddox rated a 72.2. They have Reed Blankenship rated a 79.4, he played the same position as CJGJ last year who they have rated at 65. I can tell you CJGJ was a better player.

DETROIT LIONS

OFFENSEDEFENSE

Landon Dickerson was the starting LG for the Eagles last season. Cam Jurgens was the backup center that the Eagles are going to try and move to RG to replace Isaac Seumalo. Dickerson was/is a really, really good guard. Jurgens is going to be playing out of position until Jason Kelce retires and may not even be the starter at guard.

Another questionable rating for Philly. Brandon Graham was rated an 89.8 and Haason Reddick was rated an 84.6. Or James Bradberry rated a 71.7 and the Eagles nickel corner who was hurt most of last season, Avonte Maddox rated a 72.2. They have Reed Blankenship rated a 79.4, he played the same position as CJGJ last year who they have rated at 65. I can tell you CJGJ was a better player.
I certainly don’t know how it always agree with their metrics. One thought might be it’s kind of like YPC for RBs where the backs who get many fewer carries and often get them in easier situations appear more efficient than the backs getting the majority of the work. It doesn’t make that change of pace back better overall or that he should unseat the starter.

woohoo - 7 on 7s and 11 on 11s are coming
  • OTA workouts: May 23-25, May 31-June 2, June 12-15
  • Mandatory Minicamp: June 6-8
reminder - no contact drills are allowed until TC

still, will be good for the rookies to start working with the vets

during TC, Lions have to joint practices before the two home preseason games:
  • Week 1 vs. Giants -- Friday, Aug. 11, 7 p.m. ET
  • Week 2 vs. Jaguars -- Saturday, Aug. 19, 1 p.m. ET
excited about that, it's always a little more intense when they get to hit someone else instead of a teammate.

big win scheduling joint practices with two other young up and coming teams.

Last edited:
Gardner Minshew signs for 3.5 with Indy.

Was hoping the Lions would kick the tire on him, been a decent backup for that price.

Foles is still out there.

Gardner Minshew signs for 3.5 with Indy.

Was hoping the Lions would kick the tire on him, been a decent backup for that price.

Foles is still out there.
Minshew might have a litte too much baggage for me. He just seems a bit too "look at me" for a backup QB.

Don’t like hearing Monty and Rodrigo suffered leg injuries and left practice today. Hope it’s nothing serious.

Player Interviews
  • Walker
  • Hutch 9:39
  • Jamo 16:22
  • Anzalone 26:41
  • Big V 32:32
Jamo does a good job here. Takes full responsibility, patient with the media asking sane Qs different flavor, really comes across well (good kid.)

Levi O limited only working out on sideline

Feel good just knowing he's not having any setbacks. I kind of feel like he's the longshot of all the guys coming off injury. Hoping between Levi, Romeo, Paschal, and Charles Harris, we need to get at least two healthy seasons.

Walker's recovery (7 months post-op) is pretty amazing. We're suddenly pretty deep back there but he's anxious to get on the field. Seems 50/50 if Moseley will be ready Week 1.

Man, I tell ya what, look around the roster and they're aren't a lot of jobs up for grabs. Holmes has done a solid job of constructing the roster. Little thin in a couple spots but overall they have a pretty rock solid 90 man.

Bill Barnwell, former Football Outsider and now ESPN+ football writer, ranked the Lions' offseason and called it the fifth worst in the league, clocking in at number 28.

Says Barnwell:

"What went wrong: Detroit otherwise repeatedly prioritized the league's least valuable positions. Secondary aside, it didn't do much in free agency. It let franchise spark plug Jamaal Williams leave and replaced him with David Montgomery on what is likely to be a two-year deal in the $12 million range; Montgomery has failed to average 4.0 yards per carry as a pro. Alex Anzalone, who has posted solid numbers in coverage over the past two seasons, was brought back on a similarly sized pact.

That would all be fine, but what happened next seemed to beggar belief. The Lions used their two first-round picks on players at those same positions; they traded down and used the 12th pick on running back Jahmyr Gibbs before taking off-ball linebacker Jack Campbell at No. 18. I covered how running backs have been low-ceiling, low-reward picks in my pre-draft piece on Bijan Robinson, while Campbell was the only off-ball linebacker drafted before the third round. It's difficult to imagine the Lions couldn't have addressed the position with Drew Sanders or Trenton Simpson later while using their first-rounder on a premium position, such as edge rusher.

Their second-round picks were at positions of need, but Holmes again went for some of the lowest-value positions in football in safety (Branch) and tight end (Sam LaPorta). The Lions didn't come out of this draft with an edge rusher to play across from Aidan Hutchinson or any other front seven help beyond Campbell. They did use a third-round pick on Hendon Hooker, who could replace Jared Goff in the long term if the team sours on its starting quarterback, but he is already 25 and is recovering from a torn ACL."

In case anybody is wondering the Jets were in the twenties, too. Gave up too much for an unknown commodity in Aaron Rodgers.

Levi O limited only working out on sideline

Feel good just knowing he's not having any setbacks. I kind of feel like he's the longshot of all the guys coming off injury. Hoping between Levi, Romeo, Paschal, and Charles Harris, we need to get at least two healthy seasons.

Walker's recovery (7 months post-op) is pretty amazing. We're suddenly pretty deep back there but he's anxious to get on the field. Seems 50/50 if Moseley will be ready Week 1.

Man, I tell ya what, look around the roster and they're aren't a lot of jobs up for grabs. Holmes has done a solid job of constructing the roster. Little thin in a couple spots but overall they have a pretty rock solid 90 man.
Paschal to me is key.

Didn’t care for the Moseley signing coming back from ACL on a one year contract. If he is effective you’re hoping for near end of the year. I guess if he shows something they hope to resign him,

Bill Barnwell, former Football Outsider and now ESPN+ football writer, ranked the Lions' offseason and called it the fifth worst in the league, clocking in at number 28.

Says Barnwell:

"What went wrong: Detroit otherwise repeatedly prioritized the league's least valuable positions. Secondary aside, it didn't do much in free agency. It let franchise spark plug Jamaal Williams leave and replaced him with David Montgomery on what is likely to be a two-year deal in the $12 million range; Montgomery has failed to average 4.0 yards per carry as a pro. Alex Anzalone, who has posted solid numbers in coverage over the past two seasons, was brought back on a similarly sized pact.

That would all be fine, but what happened next seemed to beggar belief. The Lions used their two first-round picks on players at those same positions; they traded down and used the 12th pick on running back Jahmyr Gibbs before taking off-ball linebacker Jack Campbell at No. 18. I covered how running backs have been low-ceiling, low-reward picks in my pre-draft piece on Bijan Robinson, while Campbell was the only off-ball linebacker drafted before the third round. It's difficult to imagine the Lions couldn't have addressed the position with Drew Sanders or Trenton Simpson later while using their first-rounder on a premium position, such as edge rusher.

Their second-round picks were at positions of need, but Holmes again went for some of the lowest-value positions in football in safety (Branch) and tight end (Sam LaPorta). The Lions didn't come out of this draft with an edge rusher to play across from Aidan Hutchinson or any other front seven help beyond Campbell. They did use a third-round pick on Hendon Hooker, who could replace Jared Goff in the long term if the team sours on its starting quarterback, but he is already 25 and is recovering from a torn ACL."

In case anybody is wondering the Jets were in the twenties, too. Gave up too much for an unknown commodity in Aaron Rodgers.
Understand the criticism. Holmes zigged when most of NFL community expected him to zag.

This draft will likely be looked at with ridicule or wonder depending on what happens even this year. Most drafts they say you need to wait three years but this draft we should know beginning this season.

At least the first three picks are expected to start this year and I think Branch is a distinct possibility as well.

Holmes wasn’t afraid to go against the grain. The Lions have a definitive type of player they want in the draft.

This is the most excited I’ve been waiting for the season to start since about forever. Part of that excitement is related to the Lions believing they can compete for the title this year and that is how they drafted. We’re they BSing us when they said that their picks were also the Best Player available?

I don’t think so, I think they really believe it.

Says Barnwell:

Understand the criticism. Holmes zigged when most of NFL community expected him to zag.

This draft will likely be looked at with ridicule or wonder depending on what happens even this year. Most drafts they say you need to wait three years but this draft we should know beginning this season.

At least the first three picks are expected to start this year and I think Branch is a distinct possibility as well.

Holmes wasn’t afraid to go against the grain. The Lions have a definitive type of player they want in the draft.

This is the most excited I’ve been waiting for the season to start since about forever. Part of that excitement is related to the Lions believing they can compete for the title this year and that is how they drafted. We’re they BSing us when they said that their picks were also the Best Player available?

They absolutely believe it. Most people look at swapping out Hockinson for LaPorta and Swift for Gibbs and don't even comprehend it is an upgrade. Holmes and Campbell believe they are a massive upgrade. The Lions want guys whose nose is in the film and playbook, who are versatile, and who give it all on the field. They see LaPorta and Gibbs as not only dedicated plays who leave it all on the field, but as more dangerous weapons who must be accounted for.

I don't think people understand how disappointed Campbell was in both Hock and Swift as football players. The Lions have a litmus test for character, and Hock and Swift failed. LaPorta and Gibbs pass with flying colors.

You also have to understand just how good Ben Johnson is. Both LaPorta and Gibbs are far more versatile, Gibbs having true WR skillset, and LaPorta as a willing blocker and as a RAC guy. You give Ben Johnson versatile players and he understands how to use them. Every formation the Lions set up in now will have many more dimensions for Johnson to work with, creating mismatches and more opportunities to fool defenses.

It is kind of like a Knight in chess versus a Rook. Everyone sees that Knight as a lesser value piece, but when you find a Knight who can also move like a Bishop, it then becomes at least as valuable as a Rook, if not moreso as nobody will understand how to defend it.

IMHO, people dissing the Lions moves, are not seeing the total picture of just how frickin good is this team they are building. This offense is going to be insanely good once it really starts to gel around mid-season. And by insanely good, I mean like the absolute undisputed best in the NFL.

And BTW, Montgomery did average 4.3 ypc in 2020 when he ran over 1000 yards. Williams was a football player who the Lions loved and tried to resign. But when Montgomery became available, once again the Lions saw a more versatile player who is a much more skilled pass catcher who has some wiggle in the open field who can break a big one.

By November, the narrative will be what an awesome draft and offseason the Lions had. I completely buy into what the Lions are building and know it is going to be special. Every part of this organization is striving for perfection.

Last edited:

Says Barnwell:

PFF graded all 32 team's offseason last week. CIN, CLE, PIT, PHI, and SEA all received an A. Detroit was in next tier with an A- (Aside - NYJ got a B, with only 8 teams receiving a lower grade.)

DETROIT LIONS
Offseason Grade: A-

The Lions have had an exceptional offseason. They set about free agency filling all of their biggest holes on the roster, buying the team the flexibility to draft the best player available and not have to chase needs. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Emmanuel Moseley and Cameron Sutton could all see the majority of snaps in the secondary, while David Montgomery can carry the load at running back and Graham Glasgow provides valuable interior stability on the offensive line.

Their draft was a curious run of low-value positions, but it’s hard to dislike the players they drafted. Jahmyr Gibbs is the most difficult pick to endorse from an opportunity-cost standpoint, but the Lions brought in some excellent players. Quarterback Hendon Hooker in the third round is an outstanding roll of the dice in a way it would not have been in the first round.

PFF Offseason Grade - Detroit (7:46) - came out after the article, Monson says he'd actually push the A- to an A bc he's taking a more nuanced approach to evaluating the draft.

The ESPN grade can only be justified if you ignore that they completely overhauled the defensive backfield. Those 3 FA DB signings are transformative and they did it in a prudent fashion, two mercenary deals plus a 3-year for a very solid CB2 in Sutton. Still don't have a true #1 Corner and not addressing that in the draft is a fair criticism. But they took one of the worst defensive backfields and elevated it dramatically. Now they're solid at Corner and have outstanding players at Nickel and Safety (you could make an argument the S combinations will be Top 5 but we'll have to see how this shakes out, lot of versatile players in yet to be defined roles.)

WRT Montgomery replacing Jamaal, I'm fine with it in terms of production. Both are above average in pass pro, Monty is a better receiver, seems like a push across the board otherwise. Kind of a weak argument to say "this dude hasn't avg 4.0" when it's 3.9 replacing 4.0 but then again I'd look askance at anyone who thinks YPC is a good evaluation metric.

Leadership skills....this is tricky bc Williams is a great locker room with incredible passion for the game, his teammates, et al. He's also....kind of a weird guy? In a wholesome way but it's a bit of a front; David is a good leader in a calming vet presence way, and we def don't lack for high energy, vocal leadership in the locker room. I don't want to sound like I'm denigrating #30 bc he's been awesome but if they low key wanted a slightly different flavor (personality wise) I could see it.

The draft is definitely open for debate. They used precious draft capital on literally the four least impactful positions in terms of WAR and salary allocation. The latter is especially egregious from an overall roster construction prospective. The math is simple: utilize high draft picks on premium positions, you're sitting on rookie contracts at key positions that give you an advantage over other teams. Use those same picks on low impact, low salary allocation positions and you are ceding that edge.

PFF Detroit Lions Draft Grade - this is a pretty fair eval; points out the criticisms but explains the rationale of what they were doing instead of just dismissing it with "no way bc positional value."

If you step back and look at the actual players they got, and how they'll fit into the 2023 roster, it starts to make more sense.
  • Gibbs has exceptional playmaker abilities especially as a receiver
  • Campbell gives the Lions potentially the best offball they have had in a decade
  • LaPorta is very versatile alignment wise and offers great YAC
  • Branch is really solid player you can use as a Swiss army knife
  • Hooker is simply taking a swing at a sensible price
Now, looking at alternatives....personally I wanted a potential CB1, losing Witherspoon to Seattle forced them to recalibrate. I was hoping we'd take Nolan Smith or an equivalent Edge, but how often do those guys work out? First rounders outside the Top Ten flop more than 50% of the time.

Detroit does have an Edge opposite Hutch in James Houston IV (8 sacks in 7 games), and they are hoping either 2nd year guy Paschal or 3rd year man Onwuzurike are healthy. They also have productive veterans in Charles Harris and Romeo Okwara who are healthy again. The DE/ED/designated pass rusher LB roles should be fine. Obviously the one area of weakness along the line is interior pass rush. There are about 25-27 NFL teams with that same complaint.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as too defensive bc I def think Holmes zigged when the expectation was it was time to zag. But he's done an exceptional job over the last 2.5 years and has earned the benefit of the doubt. He stayed true to the path he chose: fill the positions of need with FA to give you flexibility in the draft, and then use the draft to upgrade with players who would be ready to contribute Week 1. Completely agree with @Moonlight this draft is different than most in that we'll know after Y1 if it was the right way to go based on the January results.

@rockaction I know Sam Monson is not the favorite PFF analyst for your team thread but here you go (< 5 min) + Draft Grade (13:33)

WRT Montgomery replacing Jamaal, I'm fine with it in terms of production. Both are above average in pass pro, Monty is a better receiver, seems like a push across the board otherwise. Kind of a weak argument to say "this dude hasn't avg 4.0" when it's 3.9 replacing 4.0 but then again I'd look askance at anyone who thinks YPC is a good evaluation metric.
YPC basically penalizes a RB for being trusted with goal line and 4th down carries. If you are on the 2 you're maxed at 2.0 that carry.

YPC basically penalizes a RB for being trusted with goal line and 4th down carries. If you are on the 2 you're maxed at 2.0 that carry.

Monty had a terrible line most of his CHI career. I don't think he's amazing or anything but he's a very sound player with a defined role.

Next wave of gambling suspensions soon to be announced. Rumor is one more Lion included.

The Athletic is not naming the player at this time (as the investigation is still ongoing and the player reportedly hasn't met with investigators yet), but did say the player wasn't a prominent member of the team.

Last edited:
Jameson Williams stating he didn’t know that he was violating NFL gambling restrictions is troubling.
I suppose it means that he either didn’t take the time to read the rules or he may not be truthful.
Or in the alternative the Lions organization did not adequately take steps to educate him about the rules. The fact that so many players were found to be in violation with apparently another player under investigation suggests that this more likely is the case.

Jameson Williams stating he didn’t know that he was violating NFL gambling restrictions is troubling.
I suppose it means that he either didn’t take the time to read the rules or he may not be truthful.
Or in the alternative the Lions organization did not adequately take steps to educate him about the rules. The fact that so many players were found to be in violation with apparently another player under investigation suggests that this more likely is the case.

I work for a corporation that doesn't make even a 1000th of what the NFL makes and we have handbooks, meetings and an HR department that handles this and makes sure everyone has access to the rules. You will never convince me that the NFL didn't tell their employees about these rules in some attempt to trap a handful of employees and make examples out of them or they just forgot.

Every employee of the NFL has been given these rules in some form of meeting, handbook, or something and I would bet a lot of money (pun intended) it has been more than once.

Anyone that violated these rules that says they didn't know are lying or didn't pay attention at the correct time.

With that said part of the rule is stupid, but it still a rule.

Gambling policy is part of every rookie onboarding process. And rookie day orientation with the NFLPA. And a mandatory meeting for all players during TC.

Maybe it’s like when evacuation/fire drills that are held so often people zone out & don’t retain anything.
:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread