What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2023 Free Agency Thread*** (1 Viewer)

IHEARTFF

Footballguy
top yet to sign

Signings
Derek Carr QB NO
Geno Smith QB Sea
Daniel Jones QB NYG
Mike McGlinchey RT Den
Javon Hargrave DT SF
Jawaan Taylor OT KC
Jimmy Garoppolo QB LV
Tremain Edmunds ILB Chi
Jessie Bates S Atl
Jamel Dean CB TB
Zach Allen DE Den
Bobby Okereke LB NYG
Cameron Sutton CB Det
Nate Davis G Chi
Andre Dillard OT Tenn
Connor McGovern C Buf
Josh Oliver TE Minn
Germain Pratt LB Cin
Mike White QB Mia
Jarrett Stidham QB Den
Case Keenum QB Hou
Sam Darnold QB SF
Patrick Peterson CB Pit
Vonn Bell SS Car
David Long LB Mia
Ethan Pocic C Cle
Obo Okoronkwo Edge Cle
Robert Woods WR Hou
Ben Powers G Den
Alex Singleton LB Den
Marcus Epps S LV
Sterling Shepard WR NYG
Brandon Graham Edge Phi
Andrew Wylie OT Was
Nick Gates C Was
Daron Payne DT Was
TJ Edwards LB Chi
Alex Anzalone LB Det
David Onyemata DL Atl
Bradley Bozeman C Car
Shy Tuttle DL Car
Kaden Elliss LB Atl
Jameis Winston QB NO
Erik Kendricks LB LAC
Taylor Heineke QB Atl
Dre'mont Jones DE Sea
Jakobi Meyers WR LV
Jason Kelce C Phi
Dalvin Tomlinson DT Cle
Demarcus Walker DE Chi
Matt Gay K Ind
Matt Breida RB NYG
Jimmie Ward S Hou
Kelvin Beachum OT AZ
Corey Clement RB AZ
Matt Prater K AZ
Donovan Wilson S Dal
Raheem Mostert RB Mia
Michael Thomas WR NO
Jake Brendel C SF
Jeff Wilson RB Mia
Noah Brown WR Hou
Emmanuel Moseley CB Det
Marcus Davenport DE Minn
Rashaad Penny RB Phi
Kyzir White LB AZ
Allen Lazard WR NYJ
Boston Scott RB Phi
Samaje Perine RB Den
James Bradberry CB Phi
Andy Dalton QB Car
Leighton Vander Esch LB Dal
David Montgomery RB Det
Greg Joseph K Minn
Jakob Johnson FB LV
Samson Ebukam DE Indy
Robert Spillane LB LV
Jabrill Peppers S NE
Kaleb McGary OT Atl
Aaron Stinnie G TB
Jarran Reed DT Sea
Larry Ogunjobi DT Pit
Charles Omenihu DE KC
Daniel Brunskill OL Tenn
Byron Murphy CB Minn
Travis Homer RB Chi
Nate Herbig G Pit
Mike Burton FB Den
Ardon Key DE Tenn
Ashton Dulin WR Indy
Cole Holcomb LB Pit
Hayden Hurst TE Car
Riley Reiff OT NE
Trayveon Williams RB Cin
Deonte Hardy WR Buf
Baker Mayfield QB TB
Jordan Poyer S Buf
Chris Lindstrom G Atl
JuJu Smith Schuster WR NE
DeShon Elliott S Mia
Jacoby Brissett QB Was
Tyler Larsen C Was
Myles Gaskin RB Mia
Freddie Swain WR Mia
Fletcher Cox DT Phi
Jamaal Williams RB NO
Anthony Nelson LB TB
Will Hernandez G AZ
Zeke Turner LB AZ
Taven Bryan DT Cle
Juan Thornhill S Cle
Miles Sanders RB Car
Isaiah Oliver CB SF
DeShawn Williams DT Car
Solomon Thomas DT NYJ
Alexander Mattison RB Minn
James Robinson RB NE
Sheldon Rankins DT Hou
Orlando Brown OT Cin
Darius Slay CB Phi, not cut after all
PJ Walker QB Chi
Chase Edmonds RB TB
Parris Campbell WR NYG
Darius Slayton WR NYG
Cody Ford OT Cin
Robert Tonyan TE Chi
D'Onta Foreman RB Chi
Gardner Minshew QB Indy
Greedy Williams CB Phi
Marcus Mariota QB Phi
Devin Bush LB Sea
Mike Gesicki TE NE

Tags
Evan Engram TE - tagged Jax
Josh Jacobs RB - tagged LV
Tony Pollard RB - tagged Dal
Saquon Barkley RB - tagged NYG
Lamar Jackson QB - tagged Bal

Trades
Shaq Mason G traded to Hou
Jalen Ramsey CB traded to Mia
DJ Moore and picks traded to Chi for 1.1
Jonnu Smith TE traded to Atl
Darren Waller TE traded to NYG
Stephen Gilmore CB traded to Dal

Cuts
Erik Kendricks LB - cut Minn
Bud Dupree LB - to be cut Tenn
Frank Clark DE - cut KC, rumor that Chi is interested
Byron Jones CB - to be cut Mia post - June 1
Shaq Griffin LB - cut Jax
Adam Thielen WR - cut by Minn
Matt Ryan QB - will be cut by Indy
Matt Feiler G - cut by LAC
Zeke Elliott RB - Dal may cut 3/15
Darius Slay CB - to be cut but NOPE

News/Rumors
Lamar Jackson - can begin to negotiate at 4pm EST 3/15
Jacoby Brissett, Gardner Minshew and Cooper Rush QBs - Wash interested in a vet
Austin Ekeler RB - can seek trade
Broncos WR - could trade 1
D Hopkins WR - trade block AZ
Aaron Rodgers QB - lost my shape trying to act casual

Last edited:
So, seems like a crazy thought but how far away are we from the first player to make $100 million a year?

So, seems like a crazy thought but how far away are we from the first player to make $100 million a year?
When do the NFL and NFLPA negotiate the next contract? If I'm a member of the proliteriat (the bottom 80-85%), I'd be clawing back some of the top-end gains.

Hunt could make some sense on Miami.

Hunt looked totally cooked last year. Wilson and Mostert are a better combination
I wouldn't say cooked. He clearly took a step back for sure though. I'd rather have Hunt than Mostert, and certainly over Wilson.

If I were looking for a FA RB, I'd be looking at Damien Harris, or Alexander Mattison. Younger guys without many miles.

If I were looking for a FA RB, I'd be looking at Damien Harris, or Alexander Mattison. Younger guys without many miles.
Harris is an interesting call - I’m sure they’d love to stick it to Hoodie.
You know, I kinda have had this feeling that Damien Harris (career 4.7 YPC) is one of the better RBs in the NFL like top dozen or so, its just, so is Rhamondre Stevenson (career 4.8 YPC). I think Harris is the best FA RB on the market, for the price and probably just in general.

You know, I kinda have had this feeling that Damien Harris (career 4.7 YPC) is one of the better RBs in the NFL like top dozen or so, its just, so is Rhamondre Stevenson (career 4.8 YPC). I think Harris is the best FA RB on the market, for the price and probably just in general.

Harris a quality back...nothing flashy but he can play...real hard runner...the one knock on him would be durability...I can't picture him costing too much so you will get a nice bang for the buck...I think he would be an excellent pick-up for Buffalo to form a 1-2 punch with Cook...I hate to see him walk from the Pats, but I think they will look for a different type of back to compliment Stevenson.

Harris a quality back...nothing flashy but he can play...real hard runner...the one knock on him would be durability...I can't picture him costing too much so you will get a nice bang for the buck...I think he would be an excellent pick-up for Buffalo to form a 1-2 punch with Cook...I hate to see him walk from the Pats, but I think they will look for a different type of back to compliment Stevenson.
Maybe I'm projecting as he is on the bottom of my dynasty roster, but I kinda think Pierre Strong might already be that guy, and he's obviously a very different type of RB.

Maybe I'm projecting as he is on the bottom of my dynasty roster, but I kinda think Pierre Strong might already be that guy, and he's obviously a very different type of RB.

I don't think you are projecting at all...he easily could be that...the question is was that a BB redshirt year (which is not unusual) or was he not playing because they don't believe him...I thought he actually looked pretty good when he played but it was a very small sample size...I do expect them to bring in another RB this offseason even if they like Strong...if I had to guess it would be a Rex Burkhead Swiss-army knife type...the x-factor is this draft is pretty deep at RB so it could end up being a good one if they go with the draft instead of FA...just looked up Ty Montgomery's contract and they have him for one more year if they want to keep him...was hurt all year but pre-injury they appeared to like him...I would prefer they go with a younger player though.

I don't think you are projecting at all...he easily could be that...the question is was that a BB redshirt year (which is not unusual) or was he not playing because they don't believe him...I thought he actually looked pretty good when he played but it was a very small sample size...I do expect them to bring in another RB this offseason even if they like Strong...if I had to guess it would be a Rex Burkhead Swiss-army knife type...the x-factor is this draft is pretty deep at RB so it could end up being a good one if they go with the draft instead of FA...just looked up Ty Montgomery's contract and they have him for one more year if they want to keep him...was hurt all year but pre-injury they appeared to like him...I would prefer they go with a younger player though.
I agree that BB redshirting guys is not unusual, but seems to be less so at the RB position. Harris, Stevenson and Sony Michel were all used pretty heavily as rookies in the past several years. Not so say that Strong just may have been a redshirt due to the depth chart ahead of him, but the fact he wasn't used pretty much at all has to be somewhat concerning for his future fantasy prospects.

I agree that BB redshirting guys is not unusual, but seems to be less so at the RB position. Harris, Stevenson and Sony Michel were all used pretty heavily as rookies in the past several years. Not so say that Strong just may have been a redshirt due to the depth chart ahead of him, but the fact he wasn't used pretty much at all has to be somewhat concerning for his future fantasy prospects.

Strongly disagree, especially with regard to the third down RB...if in-fact Strong was redshirted he would be the third one to do so after Vereen and White...Ridley and BJGE are two others who got limited rookie time before getting a bigger role (BGJE was actually two years) and Damien Harris was pretty much inactive his whole rookie year...a redshirt year at RB is very common with BB.

There's a TON of good LBs available.
Tremaine Edmunds
Bobby Wagner
Lavonte David
David Long
Eric Kendricks
Bobby Okereke
TJ Edwards
Germaine Pratt
Drue Tranquill
Leighton Vander Esch
Azeez Al-Shaair
Rashaan Evans
Kaden Elliss
Kwon Alexander
Devin Bush
Alex Anzalone
Kyzir White

Daron Payne re-signed with Washington 4/90 60G.

Gotta say that feels like a wild overpay for a mediocre DT (and by FAR your 4th best DL) who was a liability against the run. As a Bears fan, I'm so glad he didn't hit the market and end up in Chicago.

Gotta say that feels like a wild overpay for a mediocre DT (and by FAR your 4th best DL) who was a liability against the run. As a Bears fan, I'm so glad he didn't hit the market and end up in Chicago.

Thats an absolutely bonkers description of Payne. He was neck and neck with Jon Allen in competition for best DL on the team and had one of the better seasons at the position in the entire league. He’s no Donald or anything but dude is a problem that other teams game plan for. It’s a smart and necessary signing. The numbers reported right now are higher than I would like but I’m betting it’ll creep down a bit once the details are out.

Seriously though, you’re way off to the point I’m not sure if you’re thinking of the correct player. He’s very good and a huge part of why the defense was solid this year.

Quick list of guys I think will be overvalued/undervalued in FA:

QB:
Overvalued-Baker Mayfield, Undervalued-Andy Dalton (still a capable bridge QB, was better in NO than stats indicate as team fell apart around him)
RB:
Overvalued-Saquon Barkley (if he gets a long term deal, he proved he's still good, but only the best of the best RBs deserve big extensions), Undervalued-Samaje Perine
WR:
Overvalued-JuJu Smith-Schuster, Undervalued-Randall Cobb (assuming he's following Rodgers to NYJ)
TE:
Overvalued-Dalton Schultz, Undervalued-Josh Oliver (solid player, just had a lot in front of him on Baltimore, ideal #2 TE, who is likely better than some starters)
T:
Overvalued-Jawaan Taylor, Undervalued-Donovan Smith (was a pro bowl level player until last season)
G:
Overvalued-Ben Powers, Undervalued-Nate Davis (big part of Henry's success, and still young)
C:
Overvalued-Ethan Pocic (great year in Cleveland but was playing between best G combo in the NFL), Undervalued-Bradley Bozeman
DE:
Overvalued-Charles Omenihu (good rotational player nothing more), Undervalued-Andrew Van Ginkel
DT:
Overvalued-Daron Payne, Undervalued-Shy Tuttle (also among the NFL's best names)
LB:
Overvalued-Tremaine Edmunds (tough to call, was AFC's Devin White until breakout contract year, turning the corner at 25, or contract push?), Undervalued-Denzel Perryman
CB:
Overvalued-Cameron Sutton, Undervalued-Mike Hughes (had a nice bounce back in 2021, and was still arguably the Lions best CB last year, still only 26)
S:
Overvalued-Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Undervalued-John Johnson (didn't fit in Cleveland but was a pro bowler in LAR, still only 28)

Thats an absolutely bonkers description of Payne. He was neck and neck with Jon Allen in competition for best DL on the team and had one of the better seasons at the position in the entire league. He’s no Donald or anything but dude is a problem that other teams game plan for. It’s a smart and necessary signing. The numbers reported right now are higher than I would like but I’m betting it’ll creep down a bit once the details are out.

Seriously though, you’re way off to the point I’m not sure if you’re thinking of the correct player. He’s very good and a huge part of why the defense was solid this year.
Payne was among the league leaders at DT in sacks, and if that is the only measure of DT play, then sure he was among the best at his position, but he sucked at everything else. I think there is a reasonable argument 2022 was the worst season of Payne's career.

I don't think Payne is even close to the player Allen is. Allen does everything better than Payne does. Especially run defense. Payne was arguably the worst DT in the NFL against the run last year, and its not a 1 year issue, as he was very bad against the run in 2021 as well. I also would argue his 12 sacks were a bit misleading. He and Allen had about the same amount of pressures but Payne had 4 more sacks. Payne had a 4-1 pressure to sack rate which is extremely fluky.

Personally, I think Washington's best DL is Montez Sweat, followed closely by Allen, then a healthy Chase Young, then a drop off to Payne.

Also, there’s several guys who are lined up at DT who need to get paid, and none will get less than him, so in about a year, his deal will look a lot better.

Yep.

Payne was among the league leaders at DT in sacks, and if that is the only measure of DT play, then sure he was among the best at his position, but he sucked at everything else. I think there is a reasonable argument 2022 was the worst season of Payne's career.

I don't think Payne is even close to the player Allen is. Allen does everything better than Payne does. Especially run defense. Payne was arguably the worst DT in the NFL against the run last year, and its not a 1 year issue, as he was very bad against the run in 2021 as well. I also would argue his 12 sacks were a bit misleading. He and Allen had about the same amount of pressures but Payne had 4 more sacks. Payne had a 4-1 pressure to sack rate which is extremely fluky.

Personally, I think Washington's best DL is Montez Sweat, followed closely by Allen, then a healthy Chase Young, then a drop off to Payne.

Those are some bonkers takes but you’re certainly entitled to them.

QB:
Overvalued-Baker Mayfield, Undervalued-Andy Dalton (still a capable bridge QB, was better in NO than stats indicate as team fell apart around him)
RB:
Overvalued-Saquon Barkley (if he gets a long term deal, he proved he's still good, but only the best of the best RBs deserve big extensions), Undervalued-Samaje Perine
WR:
Overvalued-JuJu Smith-Schuster, Undervalued-Randall Cobb (assuming he's following Rodgers to NYJ)
TE:
Overvalued-Dalton Schultz, Undervalued-Josh Oliver (solid player, just had a lot in front of him on Baltimore, ideal #2 TE, who is likely better than some starters)
T:
Overvalued-Jawaan Taylor, Undervalued-Donovan Smith (was a pro bowl level player until last season)
G:
Overvalued-Ben Powers, Undervalued-Nate Davis (big part of Henry's success, and still young)
C:
Overvalued-Ethan Pocic (great year in Cleveland but was playing between best G combo in the NFL), Undervalued-Bradley Bozeman
DE:
Overvalued-Charles Omenihu (good rotational player nothing more), Undervalued-Andrew Van Ginkel
DT:
Overvalued-Daron Payne, Undervalued-Shy Tuttle (also among the NFL's best names)
LB:
Overvalued-Tremaine Edmunds (tough to call, was AFC's Devin White until breakout contract year, turning the corner at 25, or contract push?), Undervalued-Denzel Perryman
CB:
Overvalued-Cameron Sutton, Undervalued-Mike Hughes (had a nice bounce back in 2021, and was still arguably the Lions best CB last year, still only 26)
S:
Overvalued-Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Undervalued-John Johnson (didn't fit in Cleveland but was a pro bowler in LAR, still only 28)
Cobb will never be fantasy relevant in 2023, he’s done

QB:
RB:
WR:
TE:
T:
G:
C:
DE:
DT:
LB:
CB:
S:
I agree he's done as anything better than a DFS fantasy option, but I think he's good enough of an NFL option (especially with Rodgers) that he could be a real threat to the non-Garrett Wilson parts of that passing offense.

ut I think he's good enough of an NFL option (especially with Rodgers) that he could be a real threat to the non-Garrett Wilson parts of that passing offense

No. That's Elijah Moore in the slot unless they decide to trade him, which they are unlikely to do. They still have two years of cost control on his contract. It'll be Wilson, Moore, and if not Corey Davis, then another guy or Denzel Mims. But it won't be Cobb, if I had to guess.

QB:
RB:
WR:
TE:
T:
G:
C:
DE:
DT:
LB:
CB:
S:
I agree he's done as anything better than a DFS fantasy option, but I think he's good enough of an NFL option (especially with Rodgers) that he could be a real threat to the non-Garrett Wilson parts of that passing offense.
I don’t

Nice to see the Browns can shave 36 million off the cap this year with a quick swipe of the pen on Watsons contract.
I can't wait for the 100 million dollar cap hit season where it's a total rebuild. Won't be till like 2027 or 2028 though. I'm cool with it.

Nice to see the Browns can shave 36 million off the cap this year with a quick swipe of the pen on Watsons contract.
In general, shows that the salary cap often really as much as a deterrent as many would believe. Teams can move around money if they really want a player. Carr to the Saints is just one example even though the Saints appeared to be having cap issues.

When do the NFL and NFLPA negotiate the next contract? If I'm a member of the proliteriat (the bottom 80-85%), I'd be clawing back some of the top-end gains.

NFLPA has long been the weakest of the North American team sports unions, that's not changing. Haven't had strong leadership since the 1980s.

In general, shows that the salary cap often really as much as a deterrent as many would believe. Teams can move around money if they really want a player. Carr to the Saints is just one example even though the Saints appeared to be having cap issues.
I dunno, I think it depends on people's perspectives. If people look at a player and says, no way they can sign him, because SALARY CAP, they're wrong. Like you said, you can always work it out for a guy. At the same point, Carr signing doesn't mean the salary cap is a myth, which I read occasionally.

Clearly there's a cap, but when teams are playing fast and loose with converted salaries, they wind up with no middle class of players, like the Saints. They get some weird praise from some corners about Mickey Loomis being a cap magician, but they aren't a real contender, they'll never have decent depth until they rip the band-aid off at some point.

There is a massive boost coming to the salary cap with new TV deal, and gambling money, so there's a soft landing coming for them, but they've had to let decent players go in the meantime, and we will see if that defense holds up.

Falcons acquiring Jonnu Smith, I am guessing in order to resurrect his career, and further sink the fantasy prospects f Kyle Pitts.

Jonnu is a great name to remember when you are disappointed your teams didn't sign the top available...whatever.
JC Jackson also says hey

I dunno, I think it depends on people's perspectives. If people look at a player and says, no way they can sign him, because SALARY CAP, they're wrong. Like you said, you can always work it out for a guy. At the same point, Carr signing doesn't mean the salary cap is a myth, which I read occasionally.
I agree it's not a myth, but my main point is that teams in general are typically not prevented from getting a guy they want. It often just takes some creative accounting to make it work. As you say, what it does mean is that there is a cost in terms of the rest of the roster, but that's probably the case for any salary cap in any sport.

I agree it's not a myth, but my main point is that teams in general are typically not prevented from getting a guy they want. It often just takes some creative accounting to make it work. As you say, what it does mean is that there is a cost in terms of the rest of the roster, but that's probably the case for any salary cap in any sport.

Saints beat writer talking about this right now....

Users who are viewing this thread