What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (2 Viewers)

The Patriots Were High On Brady

Prior to the draft, quarterbacks coach **** Rehbein was sent to scout quarterbacks, Belichick said in an interview with NFL Network.

When he returned, Rehbein told Belichick that Brady was "the best fit for the [Patriots'] system" and others in the front office and among the coaches agreed.
And then they proceeded to pass on him six times before finally selecting him.

Yeah, they were real high on him.
oookaaay

QB needy teams are desperate. Desperate teams tend to make bad decisions.
it's the compound decisions as well.

Panthers just signed Thielen. This is a direct effect from the trade, he is now their #1 WR. Three year deal. Fair guess is that it's probably a two year deal, and they will eat dead cap in three years. But hey, they traded DJ Moore the same year the best free agent WR was Jakobi Meyers, so you get what you get.

So, now they are paying 30-something WR a bit more than they want to (I wager) , as they rebuild, because they need someone catching balls. They are pretty much locked into improving their team through free agency for the next few years, they would need some historic Day 3 picks over the next two years otherwise. Their picks will probably all make the team however, because they are inexpensive bodies.
And the thing about this is that we all know that no matter who they select at #1 they are not going to be a good time.... the chances of next years 1st being a top 10 is very high and then the next year.... who knows but still, not out of the question of being another high pick. Before you know it... you have spent half of the rookie contract for this hopefully very good QB trying to build a team around him which you will have to hit up FA a lot to do.

How many of these... here is our future in our draft picks to move up..... moves has paid off?

Geez, the Bears moved up one year to get their pick of their QB's who turns out to be a big bust and then Mahomes is taken at 10 and Watson at 12. :lmao:

The best teams tend to trade down. The worst teams are the ones trading up. It plays out all the time this way.

Wish list

CJ Gardner-Johnson​

Andrew Van Ginkel​

Bobby Wagner​

CJ signed with the Lions

I like the idea of Andrew Van Ginkel.

I am going to pass on Wagner. He played at a high level but that age.... have we learned nothing from Chandler Jones? There is a drop off for most defensive players and it is right about their age (I think they are the same age actually)

With all this QB draft pick talk does anyone have reasons why they believe the current coaches/front office can develop a rookie QB?

Mac Jones regressed once McDowell left. We have the Tebow experience. Then there is JG and JB.

Are there any examples of great QBs who didn’t have a top support system around them? Brady had Bill, Mahomes has Fat Andy, Snake had Madden, Gannon had Gruden…

Wish list

CJ Gardner-Johnson​

Andrew Van Ginkel​

Bobby Wagner​

CJ signed with the Lions

I like the idea of Andrew Van Ginkel.

I am going to pass on Wagner. He played at a high level but that age.... have we learned nothing from Chandler Jones? There is a drop off for most defensive players and it is right about their age (I think they are the same age actually)
I saw they got him for less money than people thought he would get, so either the Raiders never made an offer or he preferred the Lions.

Thats too bad

The Patriots Were High On Brady

Prior to the draft, quarterbacks coach **** Rehbein was sent to scout quarterbacks, Belichick said in an interview with NFL Network.

When he returned, Rehbein told Belichick that Brady was "the best fit for the [Patriots'] system" and others in the front office and among the coaches agreed.
And then they proceeded to pass on him six times before finally selecting him.

Yeah, they were real high on him.
The point i was making was Brady fit the system, and they hit the jackpot based on that evaluation alone.
I cant stress enough how important the matchup has to be between the right QB and the Patriots system.

We need three TE, if one of them is OJ Howard, that's fine.
I would like Moreau back, but he's still out there, which means no one is very excited about him. Little surprising to me, I guess I think of him as JAG+

I would like Moreau back, but he's still out there, which means no one is very excited about him. Little surprising to me, I guess I think of him as JAG+
I think Moreau signs with the Saints for a Carr reunion.

With all this QB draft pick talk does anyone have reasons why they believe the current coaches/front office can develop a rookie QB?

Mac Jones regressed once McDowell left. We have the Tebow experience. Then there is JG and JB.

Are there any examples of great QBs who didn’t have a top support system around them? Brady had Bill, Mahomes has Fat Andy, Snake had Madden, Gannon had Gruden…
I try to steer clear of team appointed threads when I have issue with just 1 player or coach or person within the organization, I just find a specific thread topic.
But when it comes to McDaniels, it seems clear this guy's ego writes checks his body can't cash.

I get it that the previous regime was terrible and he wants to dismantle it...but was running Carr out of town part of the interview process? They were coming off a Playoff appearance in a very trying season-'21, I don't have to go thru issue after issue the team faced. So many fans were thrilled Gruden was gone, but then they are handed over to McDaniels, difficult to root for this guy. He knows more than everyone in the room and he is going to make sure everyone understands that. Matt Patricia was similar in Detroit.

I find myself interested in what they are doing but then I realize who is coaching there and my expectations start to diminish.
Maybe as early as next year you all are looking for a new Head Coach, the AFC West is tough and a 4th Place finish would have to spell disaster.
I can see you all staying ahead of Denver, I'm not sold Sean Payton will snap his fingers and make magic. Chargers can always implode so there's that.

And you're right, how does the 3rd or 4th QB off the board this year find success with McDaniels?

This draft is supposed to be like the best ever for TE. It isn't surprising a guy like Moreau, who I see as above average, is still on the market considering.

Some speculation he will go to NO to reunite with Carr and some to Cincy with Burrow but I don't think there is any real info behind that beyond connecting past relationships.

Depending on who is there, taking a TE with our 2nd could make sense, if there is good value and not a defender with similaror more value. Maybe later in the draft as well.

I would like Moreau back but not going to worry either way. NE has used and not used TE's on the passing game in the past.

I am not expecting much movement with TE's until after the draft.

I'm not looking for splash FA signings, but when the only high-value deal is a #2 WR, I start to wonder if there is any sort of plan here. All the impact OL/DL are gone and most impact defenders are too. They seem to be going all in on the draft, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have the scouts to unearth gems. Do they?

I'm not looking for splash FA signings, but when the only high-value deal is a #2 WR, I start to wonder if there is any sort of plan here. All the impact OL/DL are gone and most impact defenders are too. They seem to be going all in on the draft, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have the scouts to unearth gems. Do they?
They have around 9 picks from Pick #100 thru the end of the Draft
100-109-141-144-174-204-214-220-231
I would assume they will try and use some of them to add pieces to their OL, nothing high impact but players that will develop over time

Last year same thing, very frustrating.

i was like ''SIGN SOME DEFENDERS MAN!!!'' as they all went to other teams

There's still a lot of free agency left, far as I can see. I am pretty neutral about the offseason thus far. We put together a very decent O-line last year, and Parham/Elu have one more year of experience and comfort. Munford was a 7th rounder last year, He had 350 snaps or so, and graded well. I'm actually fairly excited to see if he might be a starter somewhere. I mean, we drafted an OT in the 7th round who played well, this is not something we are used to, we should probably enjoy that a teeny bit.

We've seen defenders go in free agency, but the best free agents this year were like B-team in previous years. There's rotational guys still out there I like, that might help in a certain role, and if you add a premium pick at that spot, well now it's been fortified. I get the impatience, but it's March, we all know we don't have the full offseason results.

There's still a lot of free agency left, far as I can see. I am pretty neutral about the offseason thus far. We put together a very decent O-line last year, and Parham/Elu have one more year of experience and comfort. Munford was a 7th rounder last year, He had 350 snaps or so, and graded well. I'm actually fairly excited to see if he might be a starter somewhere. I mean, we drafted an OT in the 7th round who played well, this is not something we are used to, we should probably enjoy that a teeny bit.

We've seen defenders go in free agency, but the best free agents this year were like B-team in previous years. There's rotational guys still out there I like, that might help in a certain role, and if you add a premium pick at that spot, well now it's been fortified. I get the impatience, but it's March, we all know we don't have the full offseason results.
Almost never the case. If we were to sign a B-side LB and then to draft Nolan Smith, that B-side LB becomes depth improvement so we don't have to carry Curtis freaking Bolton. Marcus Epps is a great example. I wish we'd sign about 20 guys at the $2M-$6M price, guys like Epps and Duron Harmon and Jayon Brown. Give us a whole bunch of guys that may not make Pro Bowls but aren't total liabilities on the field when we have to go to them. We lost probably 5 games last year due to playing guys like Luke Masterson and Tyler Hall in crucial situations. You beef up the middle of your roster and that cuts the bottom rung off the ladder.

Elu posted that him and Miller would be the best Tackles in the game as he would feliver consistency. It would seem to indicate that he is expecting to start at Tackle.

Munford is a big guy (bigger than Parham). I wonder if they will try to plug him in at RG. I don't recall him getting any snaps there when they were shuffling players around but he has the size to play it.

I am not as worried about the Oline as I am the defense. We had holes to end last year and we have lost or not resigned more than we have brought in.

They had to sneak in an signing on the offence just so we couldn't have a day of just defensive help.

Feels like McD is stocking the roster with lunch-pail yes men with little-to-zero actual production at even a medium level in the NFL.

OJ Howard had ten catches all of last season and 35 over the last three years.

Regular season last year Willis had 12 total tackles, two sacks and 1 FF.

Feels like McD is stocking the roster with lunch-pail yes men...
Based on, what?

The now long and growing list of (no) names they've signed. How many of these dudes had you heard of prior to last week? How many of them are giving you optimism of being more than roster fodder? Spillane maybe. That's about it. Jacoby looks like a value FA signing, but he's a #2 WR at best, and cost ~$10 MM more per year than the Sasquatch signed for in Atlanta. Is he an upgrade? Maybe. Could that ~$10 MM have been better spent on OL/Def? I'd say for sure. One year is all McD will have to show his lunch-pail approach can work. They don't have to be lights out come September, but if they are stagnant or worse by December, he's fooked.

Last edited:
Feels like McD is stocking the roster with lunch-pail yes men...
Based on, what?

The now long and growing list of (no) names they've signed. How many of these dudes had you heard of prior to last week? How many of them are giving you optimism of being more than roster fodder? Spillane maybe. That's about it. Jacoby looks like a value FA signing, but he's a #2 WR at best, and cost ~$10 MM more per year than the Sasquatch signed for in Atlanta. Is he an upgrade? Maybe. Could that ~$10 MM have been better spent on OL/Def? I'd say for sure. One year is all McD will have to show his lunch-pail approach can work. They don't have to be lights out come September, but if they are stagnant or worse by December, he's fooked.
IDK I think Grop, Epps and Myers are very good signings.

What I wouldn't want to see is a bunch of splash signings as if the team were building up for a deep run in the post season in 2023. They have 12 picks in the draft, build a foundation and gear up for a sustained run in 2024 and beyond.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would accuse me of being a big McD fan but I think how he had Mac Jones operating at a pretty high level for a rookie with offensive talent around him that was far less than what we have on the Raiders is indictive of his ability to develop a rookie QB. Plus the downward slide of Jones after he left adds to the evidence.

I mean, their #1 WR is now our 2 and after Agholor pretty much nothing else in the WR corps. Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry at TE and then your typical NE four RB's that they cyceled through. That is not much to work with and McD with a rookie QB made it respectable.

Adams, Meyers, Renfrow and then Dorsett as your 4th plus Josh Jacobs and a couple of others that can contribute in the RB room.... that is tons more talent.

The track record and talent level says he can take a talentless beautiful man of a system QB that has been on a lot of good teams to be considered a guy who wins and make it more than respectable.

Last edited:
Austin Hooper visiting and Keelan Cole expected to re-sign.
Cole is decent depth.... odd, I expected more from him.

I would like a Hooper signing if we get him. I think he is better than he has put up stats the last few years. Should come cheap too with a few down years with the Browns and Titans.
Agreed. You don't need to be Gronk to get decent production from the position in this offense.

Cole is decent depth.... odd, I expected more from him.

I would like a Hooper signing if we get him. I think he is better than he has put up stats the last few years. Should come cheap too with a few down years with the Browns and Titans.
Hooper could be a good TE and would make the Howard signing not seem as bad.

I keep waiting to have that '' oh NOW i get it , that makes sense '' moment

Hopefully the draft will be that moment

I keep waiting for us to STOP signing offensive players and STAR
Cole seemed like a waste of space
cole was our punt or kickoff returner, right? That has to add some value.
id rather a young kid with a spark of upside than an old, “average” vet at this point though.
10 catches and returned 13 punts

My hope is the Raiders stay at #7 as long as Carter is on the board. If he's there they take him, pair him with Maxx and give Mahomes nightmares for the next 5 years.

If not trade trade back, and keep trading back until the mid/late 20s and grab Hendon Hooker.

It's not too early, the fifth year option is too important for a rookie QB.

Hopefully Grop makes it to mid/late November when Hooker is, hopefully, getting ready to return to the field.

BAM! Contend for Championships for the next 8-10 years!

I keep waiting for us to STOP signing offensive players and STAR
Cole seemed like a waste of space
cole was our punt or kickoff returner, right? That has to add some value.
id rather a young kid with a spark of upside than an old, “average” vet at this point though.
10 catches and returned 13 punts
Wasn't on the roster for 3 games and then didn't see the field for a bit when brought back. He has shown some production at the NFL level with less than great QB's. He is a puzzle to me. Signed with expectation he would get some playing time.... cut.... then brought back and then played ho hum. Maybe the system was a big learning curve (would explain the cut and bringing back later) which this system is known to be a tricky one for WR's. I don't know.

My hope is the Raiders stay at #7 as long as Carter is on the board. If he's there they take him, pair him with Maxx and give Mahomes nightmares for the next 5 years.

If not trade trade back, and keep trading back until the mid/late 20s and grab Hendon Hooker.

Hopefully Grop makes it to mid/late November when Hooker is, hopefully, getting ready to return to the field.

If Carter is not there, I would like a trade back and grab Calijah Kancey later.

If Carter is not there, I would like a trade back and grab Calijah Kancey later.
I’d prefer an every down player in the first. And his weight is a concern. I see too much pj hall

I’d prefer an every down player in the first. And his weight is a concern. I see too much pj hall
He looks strong from the film I saw of him. Able to stand up against his comp. Then again, I only watched highlights.

Users who are viewing this thread