What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (2 Viewers)

Jacobs is a beast and that's with them not even unleashing his true potential as a dual-threat receiving back. He was absolutely worth drafting in (late) round 1 and given his age, he deserves a top-3 RB contract right now, with at least the first 2-2.5 years of the money guaranteed. He's earned that money, it's a lower risk than seems perceived (again, given his age) and for a team trying to build up a quality culture and locker room, it's simply good business to reward one of your top-three players this way.

Of course, all of the above stated, this is the Raiders we are discussing, so expect them to trade him to KC next month for a 4th round pick.

Retooling and Rebuilding is what I took away from it. Things can change but it doesn't sound like he is very happy or confident the team will win a lot more games this year.
Not sure where I put Adams this season, he was mostly incredible for a lot of the season, not sure why he couldn't have a pretty good year but something about Jimmy G already has him shaking his head or thinking 2024. There's no way they can trade him and they moved a lot fo things to get him in the first place.

Doesn't see eye to eye with the FO and likely the coaching staff, that just doesn't sound like it ends well.
Adams has done great with Rodgers and Carr with their arm strength that can push the ball downfield. Jimmy G doesn't have that arm being below NFL average. He lives on the short passes. It could be that Adams is frustrated with that.

That being said, Adams has one of.... if not the best... get off the line. He can eat on short routes too. Will he be as effective with Jimmy G at QB? I don't know.

In terms of physical talent- Jimmy G is a significant downgrade from Carr. However, in terms of being a system QB, Jimmy G is an upgrade over Carr. Does that wash out? Does that give Jimmy G the edge? I don't know. I can say that we say times that less talented QB's, including Jimmy G, have success being system QB's in NE. Cassel, Brissett and Jimmy G all did well being system QB's in NE when given the chance. Cassel and Brissett have shown without doubt that that is all they were- system QB's. Jimmy G had some success in a different system but also one that relied on a strong running game and short passing... so an argument can be made, different system but still a system QB (and yes, I would make that argument).

How will it pan out? I don't know.... we shall see.

The biggest part of this to me though is that it seems to continue to spotlight that McD may not have this locker room or at least not have half the team (you know, the half that are not NE imports). That to me is more concerning that Adams not being happy or if Jimmy G can play a higher level than Carr.
I love what you wrote at the end of the post. I think that is what i am trying to put forth, I basically have no respect for the Head Coach so I am going to side with Adams due to my bias nature.
I understand the Leather from Alabama was perhaps a draft bust but to run the guy out 1 year in, to me it showed that McDaniels ego was always going to be a problem.
It's like a Lion taking over the Pride and then killing all the cubs that are not his offspring.
I agree with you that I anticipate some locker room chatter over the summer if not sooner, we're already getting drips.

Jacobs and Adams are nice pieces to have on offense. I would expect JJ to dig in a little and not sign the franchise tag. JJ has no leverage but maybe he can push for a trade out of there.
Adams is stuck. The draft capital and also he's getting paid a lot of money to put up with the heartache of not competing for a title.
An Adams-McDaniels confrontation is one I would like to listen in on
RB's just don't get paid anymore but if we end up losing Jacobs and walk away with less than value for him.... I will riot. A one man freaking riot.
Is Jacobs the most under-hyped rushing leader in the past 20 years or what? I think JJ is perfectly happy with McD’s offense, he just wants his money and I don’t blame him. RBs get screwed in my opinion. They are under paid early in their careers and rarely live up to their 2nd contracts which makes it hard for teams to want to invest that much money in them. I hope he can stay in Vegas, but I won’t blame him if he moves on for more money, he has like 8 kids to feed lol.
RB's have the shortest career lengths and now get paid the least of skilled positions. It sucks but when you can draft a kids in the 3rd or later and get good production out of them for the position it hurts. It is basic economics = supply and demand. He is clearly one of the best in the NFL and it would make me very unhappy if we weren't able to figure out a way to keep him around for a few years.

BTW.... do you guys remember the guy coming in saying Jacobs was average or something like that? And quoted some obscure stat that I had never heard of as evidence? I don't think I have seen him around this thread in a while.
Was that the guy who called him a poor man’s Cam Akers, or something to that effect? Lol
YUP! That was it.... I was trying to remember his comp and could not for the life of me remember what it was but that was it. Makes me laugh every time I think of it. I don't even know who it was, I just remember it was not a usual suspect for our Raider threads. I doubt he has been back around since.

I would prefer to have a good team over a couple of good players like Jacobs and Adams. Adams was not a good signing at the time and it looks horrible now. The Raiders have a lot of work ahead in a very competitive division. They will likely finish third in the division this season and finishing fourth wouldn’t be surprising if Denver gets their pieces together.

Jacobs is a beast and that's with them not even unleashing his true potential as a dual-threat receiving back. He was absolutely worth drafting in (late) round 1 and given his age, he deserves a top-3 RB contract right now, with at least the first 2-2.5 years of the money guaranteed. He's earned that money, it's a lower risk than seems perceived (again, given his age) and for a team trying to build up a quality culture and locker room, it's simply good business to reward one of your top-three players this way.

Of course, all of the above stated, this is the Raiders we are discussing, so expect them to trade him to KC next month for a 4th round pick.
:lmao: :mellow::unsure::x :rant::cry:

Retooling and Rebuilding is what I took away from it. Things can change but it doesn't sound like he is very happy or confident the team will win a lot more games this year.
Not sure where I put Adams this season, he was mostly incredible for a lot of the season, not sure why he couldn't have a pretty good year but something about Jimmy G already has him shaking his head or thinking 2024. There's no way they can trade him and they moved a lot fo things to get him in the first place.

Doesn't see eye to eye with the FO and likely the coaching staff, that just doesn't sound like it ends well.
Jimmy G aint Davantes boy yo
anyone other than Carr or Rodgers aint gonna cut it
We saw Adams go stretches without a target in games last year, people question Josh McDaniels in general, it just seems inevitable they will be looking for another Head Coach in the not too distant future. If the Raiders go 6-11 this year, is McDaniels coming back for Year 3?
Davis seems to be showing patience right now. Assuming this season isn't a total absolute Lions or Browns at their poopiest... and just a run of the mill 20 years worth of losing that we have lived through as Raiders fans, I think he is given that year 3 and then would be on the hot seat. I don't think he is on hot seat this year unless they are basically 0-17 or 1-16 type of trash.
Agreed. Davis took a big risk not listening to the players pleas to keep Coach B around after the 2021 season. He chose to blow it all up and start over. He has to give McDaniels and Ziegler time. And don’t take the Tom Brady news lightly. While he’d only own a small part of the team and publicly he would have no say in decision-making, I’d bet behind the scenes he would have a lot to say about how this organization needs to move forward. Especially when he’s financially invested, how could he not get a little emotionally invested as well?
Greetings Bruno,
Can Brady still cash the $375M as a broadcaster and be a minority owner for the Raiders or any other of the 32 NFL Teams?
I was curious how he could wear both hats or if this is actually legal.
I would like to see Tom Brady get to interview Roger Goodell before he steps into the booth.

TB "Why did you suspend me for 4 games, exactly?"
RG "Why did you destroy your phone and any evidence of what you did?"

We saw Adams go stretches without a target in games last year, people question Josh McDaniels in general, it just seems inevitable they will be looking for another Head Coach in the not too distant future. If the Raiders go 6-11 this year, is McDaniels coming back for Year 3?
Davis seems to be showing patience right now. Assuming this season isn't a total absolute Lions or Browns at their poopiest... and just a run of the mill 20 years worth of losing that we have lived through as Raiders fans, I think he is given that year 3 and then would be on the hot seat. I don't think he is on hot seat this year unless they are basically 0-17 or 1-16 type of trash.
Agreed. Davis took a big risk not listening to the players pleas to keep Coach B around after the 2021 season. He chose to blow it all up and start over. He has to give McDaniels and Ziegler time. And don’t take the Tom Brady news lightly. While he’d only own a small part of the team and publicly he would have no say in decision-making, I’d bet behind the scenes he would have a lot to say about how this organization needs to move forward. Especially when he’s financially invested, how could he not get a little emotionally invested as well?
Ego invested. He made the call to fire Coach B after he clearly had the total buy in of the locker room and the team battled through a ridiculous, unprecedented, year to make the playoffs and goes to McD who had a disastrous HC attempt before and a bizarre spurn of Indy for the job later. If you fire him now.... you look REALLY dumb, if not for anything else, ego will push it to give them at least 3 years unless they just totally meltdown.
And that's why, when you hear things like "Rebuild" from Adams, there's not much difference in 6-11 and 2-15 other than possibly getting the right to take a potential franchise QB if you can find him. If you are going to miss the Playoffs and lose 10+ games anyways, go for broke! Jimmy G is not the franchise QB in a couple years, most would say that's true. Their best path is a total meltdown this year and bring in a franchise level QB next year and a new HC, maybe give JM 1 year to work with a rookie QB and see where that goes but the leash should be short.

Adams has done great with Rodgers and Carr with their arm strength that can push the ball downfield. Jimmy G doesn't have that arm being below NFL average. He lives on the short passes. It could be that Adams is frustrated with that.

That being said, Adams has one of.... if not the best... get off the line. He can eat on short routes too. Will he be as effective with Jimmy G at QB? I don't know.

In terms of physical talent- Jimmy G is a significant downgrade from Carr. However, in terms of being a system QB, Jimmy G is an upgrade over Carr. Does that wash out? Does that give Jimmy G the edge? I don't know. I can say that we say times that less talented QB's, including Jimmy G, have success being system QB's in NE. Cassel, Brissett and Jimmy G all did well being system QB's in NE when given the chance. Cassel and Brissett have shown without doubt that that is all they were- system QB's. Jimmy G had some success in a different system but also one that relied on a strong running game and short passing... so an argument can be made, different system but still a system QB (and yes, I would make that argument).

The biggest part of this to me though is that it seems to continue to spotlight that McD may not have this locker room or at least not have half the team (you know, the half that are not NE imports). That to me is more concerning that Adams not being happy or if Jimmy G can play a higher level than Carr.
And this is all assuming JimmyG can stay healthy for a full 17 games. If Adams has to catch passes from Hoyer or O’Connell, I bet he’d change his tune real quick about playing with Jordan Love. I will never feel sorry for anyone making as much money as him, but it sure sounds like he has buyer’s remorse right now.
I wouldn't be able to take anyone serious if they thought Adams would be yelling LET'S GO! When they let Carr go (for nothing) and brought in Jimmy G. It was obvious that Adams would be let down about this... the question has always been "how much". Like, will he be upset but shrug it off and get to work or would he go into full meltdown mode demanding a trade. It seems like we are landing somewhere in between those.

We KNOW that Adams on the Raider would NOT have happened if not for Carr. Then you don't even give them a full year with them together. Yea, no, he isn't happy about that.
i don’t think we know that. Why would Adams want to come to the raiders? Because his college qb ended up there and had a middle of the road career? I don’t remember hearing anything about adams pining to get back together with Carr, and leave Rodgers. until the trade happened. The raiders sucked. They’re under constant turmoil. it hasn’t been a highly desirable place to be for looooong time. I don’t think Adam’s had a no trade clause. He got traded plain and simple and then he got paid. It’s just business. Was it cool that his college qb was there? Sure. But that’s not the reason he ended up on the raiders

Greetings Bruno,
Can Brady still cash the $375M as a broadcaster and be a minority owner for the Raiders or any other of the 32 NFL Teams?
I would like to see Tom Brady get to interview Roger Goodell before he steps into the booth.

That’s a good question. The deal is with FOX so I don’t think he would be calling many Raider games anyway. Maybe they could bring in a sub on the rare occasion.

And this is all assuming JimmyG can stay healthy for a full 17 games. If Adams has to catch passes from Hoyer or O’Connell, I bet he’d change his tune real quick about playing with Jordan Love. I will never feel sorry for anyone making as much money as him, but it sure sounds like he has buyer’s remorse right now.
I wouldn't be able to take anyone serious if they thought Adams would be yelling LET'S GO! When they let Carr go (for nothing) and brought in Jimmy G. It was obvious that Adams would be let down about this... the question has always been "how much". Like, will he be upset but shrug it off and get to work or would he go into full meltdown mode demanding a trade. It seems like we are landing somewhere in between those.

We KNOW that Adams on the Raider would NOT have happened if not for Carr. Then you don't even give them a full year with them together. Yea, no, he isn't happy about that.
i don’t think we know that. Why would Adams want to come to the raiders? Because his college qb ended up there and had a middle of the road career? I don’t remember hearing anything about adams pining to get back together with Carr, and leave Rodgers. until the trade happened. The raiders sucked. They’re under constant turmoil. it hasn’t been a highly desirable place to be for looooong time. I don’t think Adam’s had a no trade clause. He got traded plain and simple and then he got paid. It’s just business. Was it cool that his college qb was there? Sure. But that’s not the reason he ended up on the raiders
I just want to highlight what makes the SP special for me
It's refreshing to hear different POV and as much as the media paints it one way like Adams got the rug pulled out...
The reality, it was all business and he should be happy that he got life changing money.
I don't have to always agree with every post, in fact I like a lot of the ones where folks snap back at me, keeps me on my toes

I just want to highlight what makes the SP special for me
It's refreshing to hear different POV and as much as the media paints it one way like Adams got the rug pulled out...
The reality, it was all business and he should be happy that he got life changing money.
I don't have to always agree with every post, in fact I like a lot of the ones where folks snap back at me, keeps me on my toes
Adams will go to a true contender after this season. He knows his years in the NFL are limited and he probably wants to go out swinging for a SB.

From an article in The Athletic:

Carr and Adams both love basketball and the NBA — where players call their shots and new teams all the time — but Adams didn’t know that he and Carr could pull it off. Not until Adams had the leverage of not signing a new deal with the Packers, who had placed the franchise tag on him, and forced a trade to the Raiders in March. Adams had reportedly told Green Bay he would not play for them this season under the franchise tag.

“It was really (only) an idea up until it was done because it’s never easy to make that happen,” Adams said last month. “You see it in the NBA all the time, guys make it happen and get where they want to be any type of way they got to do it.
The trade for Adams was 100% about Carr and Adams trying to make it happen.

You got to pay more attention. ;)

Carr and Adams both love basketball and the NBA — where players call their shots and new teams all the time — but Adams didn’t know that he and Carr could pull it off. Not until Adams had the leverage of not signing a new deal with the Packers, who had placed the franchise tag on him, and forced a trade to the Raiders in March. Adams had reportedly told Green Bay he would not play for them this season under the franchise tag.

“It was really (only) an idea up until it was done because it’s never easy to make that happen,” Adams said last month. “You see it in the NBA all the time, guys make it happen and get where they want to be any type of way they got to do it.

this was after the fact. i never heard anything about them wanting to play together until the trade happened. and adams wanted more money and a longer contract. he didn't want to be franchised. :shrug:

this was after the fact. i never heard anything about them wanting to play together until the trade happened. and adams wanted more money and a longer contract. he didn't want to be franchised. :shrug:
Green Bay supposedly did offer him more than the Raiders gave him, but he said he always wanted to be a Raider and to play with Carr.

Greetings Bruno,

Yes Brady can still do broadcasting. From what understand since he has no decision making abilities at Fox it's ok for him to be both and owner and a broadcaster for Fox.

And?

You know... it isn't really saying anything good about Carr to realize that Adams wanted to play with him and they mutually made it happen. I know that gives you the hives just thinking about accidentally getting close to saying something good about him but it isn't. It is just reality. I don't know why you are fighting me on that. :lmao:

And you do realize they are talking past tense.... that they called the shot to make it happen. The whole article is about the special relationship between them. Carr and Adams wanted to play together. Adams would not be a Raider, for the better or worse, if Carr wasn't there and they didn't work to make it happen.

Also, I remember there being talk about Carr buying Adams a car if he came to the Raiders BEFORE it happened.

And you do realize they are talking past tense.... that they called the shot to make it happen. The whole article is about the special relationship between them. Carr and Adams wanted to play together. Adams would not be a Raider, for the better or worse, if Carr wasn't there and they didn't work to make it happen.

Also, I remember there being talk about Carr buying Adams a car if he came to the Raiders BEFORE it happened.

The Las Vegas Raiders have signed free agent G Greg Van Roten, the club announced Friday.
Van Roten joins the Raiders after spending last season with the Buffalo Bills (2022), where he appeared in 16 games with four starts at center. Van Roten entered the NFL in 2012 as an undrafted free agent with the Green Bay Packers (2012-13) and has played for the Carolina Panthers (2017-19) and New York Jets (2020-21).
The eight-year veteran lineman has appeared in 93 career games with 54 starts. Van Roten played in all 17 games for the Jets in 2021, starting 10 contests at guard. He started all 27 games he appeared in for the Panthers from 2018-19, playing both guard and center.

Why? The tuck rule was a long time ago. Tommy boy needs all the help he can get.
I`m so with you on this , i just dont get the hate on the player , if you have to hate ,hate the refs who called the game .
Bottom line is the Raiders had 2 tries to stop NE from scoring and they failed both times .
The defense blew that game ,not the refs or Brady or the fans in the stands , maybe thats the issue , Raider fans cant just admit the Raiders blew that game .

Why? The tuck rule was a long time ago. Tommy boy needs all the help he can get.
I`m so with you on this , i just dont get the hate on the player , if you have to hate ,hate the refs who called the game .
Bottom line is the Raiders had 2 tries to stop NE from scoring and they failed both times .
The defense blew that game ,not the refs or Brady or the fans in the stands , maybe thats the issue , Raider fans cant just admit the Raiders blew that game .

And it might be the first time we have actual football knowledge in the owners box since pre-senile Al Davis.

Fan of the GOAT. Rid myself of envy and distaste of him long ago and now simply respect his accomplishments accordingly. Dude who said this, welcome to the Raiders ownership ring...

"I am not chasing Montana. I am chasing Jordan."

And it might be the first time we have actual football knowledge in the owners box since pre-senile Al Davis.
The public narrative is that he’s just a limited partner with no say in football operations. But you know behind closed doors Tom Brady is going to have his opinions on the current state and future of the Raiders now that he’s invested. It’s very possible his knowledge, opinions and/or ideas on personnel will have an impact on the football field years down the road. Like him or not, he’s a winner. And winning is something that hasn’t been associated with this franchise in decades. Maybe the only one who can lift the “dark cloud” over the Raiders is the one who had a big part in putting it there in the first place.

No

No
oh well , at least some of us have peace of soul during this era :wink:

But you know behind closed doors Tom Brady is going to have his opinions on the current state and future of the Raiders now that he’s invested. It’s very possible his knowledge, opinions and/or ideas on personnel will have an impact on the football field years down the road.

Like it or not, buying even a small stake absolutely makes Tom a Raider now - and perhaps someday soon a fairly influential one. I choose to like it. Gives renewed hope about McDaniels too, who now has two former-Patriot bosses to keep him in line, instead of just one.

Googled around a tad but couldn’t find if there are any other minority owners of the Raiders does anyone know more about this?
I don’t know specifics but I believe there’s always been another minority ownership group even during Al Davis’ times. I could be wrong, just going off of memory but the Raiders originated in Minnesota and sometime in the 60s Al bought a majority portion of the franchise and moved them out to Oakland. I don’t think the Davis family has ever had full ownership.

Googled around a tad but couldn’t find if there are any other minority owners of the Raiders does anyone know more about this?
I don’t know specifics but I believe there’s always been another minority ownership group even during Al Davis’ times. I could be wrong, just going off of memory but the Raiders originated in Minnesota and sometime in the 60s Al bought a majority portion of the franchise and moved them out to Oakland. I don’t think the Davis family has ever had full ownership.
I believe this is correct as well

No
oh well , at least some of us have peace of soul during this era :wink:
Tom Brady has space herpes.

I thought Minnesota was going to be part of the part AFL but then went with the NFL. Oakland then took the vacant spot in the AFL

I am extremely confident they were never anywhere other than Oakland, L.A. and now Vegas.
Al was a coach for the Dolts then the HC for the Raiders and then shortly after being the HC bought.... what I am pretty sure was only part ownership of the team but again wouldn't bet my life on that part but I am pretty sure.

E_abydyk_normal.jpg

SniperJones🏴‍☠️🎙🇨🇴

@RaiderSniper

🚨
#RaiderNationLas_Vegas_Raiders.png A player that we need to see improvement from & hope he breaks out this season is Divine Deablo
🔒
. Moving from Safety to Linebacker isn’t easy but he’s got the mindset/work ethic
🪖
. I’m confident he’ll put it all together & play how we expect him to
🔥

I am extremely confident they were never anywhere other than Oakland, L.A. and now Vegas.
Al was a coach for the Dolts then the HC for the Raiders and then shortly after being the HC bought.... what I am pretty sure was only part ownership of the team but again wouldn't bet my life on that part but I am pretty sure.
They were never the “Minnesota Raiders “ or anything like that. If I remember right from what I read years ago is that there were talks of them playing in Minnesota because that’s where the original ownership group was from or wanted to start the franchise. I’m probably completely off base on the details. Anyway, what I find more interesting is who are these other owners? And why are they so secretive? Did they have any say in the Tom Brady deal? Did they at least get season tickets for life, or did Davis fleece them out of that too?

team will overachieve have a chance at the playoffs. this gets us another midround pick in the first.

unless the G gets injured and the backup sucks. then we get a top ten pick guaranteed. either way it's a win tbh :welcome:

team will overachieve have a chance at the playoffs. this gets us another midround pick in the first.

unless the G gets injured and the backup sucks. then we get a top ten pick guaranteed. either way it's a win tbh :welcome:
JimmyG’s health is priority #1
And the defense needs to start showing improvement. Guys who took a step back last season like Hobbs, Moerihg and Jones need to play better.
The 2nd year and rookie DL need to develop.
Someone needs to replace Perryman’s leadership in the LB corps.
Shelley and Long need to stay healthy and play well.
They need a return on investment in Tyree Wilson this season.
That’s a lot of ifs…. Feels like a culture change, rebuild season. If the core starters stay relatively healthy, they’ll be a competitive team. If not, they will be looking at a top 5 pick.

I think the Raiders are divided up into shares, and one magic share gives the holder the right to call the shots. Al always had that share. So even if Mark Davis only owned 30%, if he has that share he's still the boss. There's a better term than magic for that share, but I can't remember what it is called right now.

I think the Raiders are divided up into shares, and one magic share gives the holder the right to call the shots. Al always had that share. So even if Mark Davis only owned 30%, if he has that share he's still the boss. There's a better term than magic for that share, but I can't remember what it is called right now.

President of the General Partner

Users who are viewing this thread