What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (2 Viewers)

Most Penalized Teams Of All Time:

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147
Only 7 of 10?

How many of the top 50?

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147
Not a single “bad boys” Raiders team from the 70s on that list. (Granted, they played fewer games back then)

so this is just a list proving how crappy the raiders have been for 4 decades minus the 5 years with Gannon.
ugh.

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147
Not a single “bad boys” Raiders team from the 70s on that list. (Granted, they played fewer games back then)

so this is just a list proving how crappy the raiders have been for 4 decades minus the 5 years with Gannon.
ugh.
Joking aside it shows a clear systemic bias against the Raiders that has perpetuated throughout the league for decades.

It's not just the single season records for penalties, it's how many times are they in the top 3 or top 5 for 20-30 years. The team has had 14 coaches since 1993, are we supposed to believe that every single one of them was terrible at managing penalties? Yet no other team appears even twice on the list?

There was a great article a few years back that went into great detail, supported by solid statistics that showed a clear bias against the Raiders by the refs. It's not an illusion, it's not a pity party, it's a statistical fact, every week the Raiders play against their opponent and the refs.

I blame Tom Brady.

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147

ugh.
Joking aside it shows a clear systemic bias against the Raiders that has perpetuated throughout the league for decades.

It's not just the single season records for penalties, it's how many times are they in the top 3 or top 5 for 20-30 years. The team has had 14 coaches since 1993, are we supposed to believe that every single one of them was terrible at managing penalties? Yet no other team appears even twice on the list?

There was a great article a few years back that went into great detail, supported by solid statistics that showed a clear bias against the Raiders by the refs. It's not an illusion, it's not a pity party, it's a statistical fact, every week the Raiders play against their opponent and the refs.

I blame Tom Brady.

Do I recall there was also shown a broader bias towards teams wearing black as part of their uniforms.

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147

ugh.

I blame Tom Brady.

Do I recall there was also shown a broader bias towards teams wearing black as part of their uniforms.
I heard that too, maybe 10 years ago, pretty sure that was debunked.

Refs hate the Raiders, probably a league mandate dating back to Rozelle.

It's funny because I used to cheer for the Raiders as one of my "three teams" all the way into my late twenties, and I just remember the Raiders as undisciplined. Always. It could be that Al Davis had an organizational philosophy that didn't care about penalties here or there -- perhaps a holdover of their seventies mentality.

It's funny because I used to cheer for the Raiders as one of my "three teams" all the way into my late twenties, and I just remember the Raiders as undisciplined. Always. It could be that Al Davis had an organizational philosophy that didn't care about penalties here or there -- perhaps a holdover of their seventies mentality.
“Cheating is encouraged”

everyone was scared of the old Raiders , even the refs :laugh:

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147

ugh.

I blame Tom Brady.
Maybe things will change now that Brady is associated with the Raiders. If someone grazes JimmyG’s helmet with a fingernail, let’s hope he gets the Tom Brady treatment and a flag is thrown 😜

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147

ugh.

I blame Tom Brady.
Maybe things will change now that Brady is associated with the Raiders. If someone grazes JimmyG’s helmet with a fingernail, let’s hope he gets the Tom Brady treatment and a flag is thrown 😜
I will be happy if they throw a flag for 10% of the actual holding on Maxx every game. Almost every play he is rushing the QB in a choke hold that a tackle has holding on for dear life slung on his back like a cape.

Here is the study from the ethical skeptic

And a synopsis from The Heavy

The mystique of those 70s teams may be the foundation of the existing systemic bias, but the notion the Raiders are simply, and consistently, "undisciplined" for over a span of 30 years, more than a dozen coaches (and the fact that Al Davis has been dead for a dozen years) doesn't pass even the most cursory examination.

The Raiders will inevitably be one of the five most penalized teams in the league in any given year. Far more telling is in any given year the top five least penalized teams will be four random teams and the combined opponents of the Raiders.

Intentional or not, the bias is real.

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147

ugh.

I blame Tom Brady.

Is there a breakdown of Black uniforms vs light uniforms for the same team?

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147

ugh.

I blame Tom Brady.

Is there a breakdown of Black uniforms vs light uniforms for the same team?
I don't know, but the trend seems to hold for the Raiders at home and on the road.

Jimmy G had surgery right after signing with us... getting a good jump on the whole being out thing.
Read into it further. It was scheduled. The raiders knew about it. The 49ers told him he didn’t need the surgery. It’s May. Should be fine. But still.

And I always say that I hate foot injuries

AAWTKDIK

Everyone's an expert
This team moved up in the second round (for Michael Mayer) and fourth round (twice, for Jakorian Bennett and for Aidan O’Connell). These weren’t dramatic moves from the coach who once moved up for Alphonso Smith and traded away the pick the Seahawks would use on Earl Thomas, but it’s the attitude toward picks that feels so off-putting.
The Raiders aren’t a player away. They need cheap, homegrown talent more than any other team. If anything, they should have been trying to move down.

Bill Barnwell, ESPN Staff Writer

2011 Raiders- 163
1998 Chiefs- 158
1994 Raiders- 156
1996 Raiders- 156
1989 Oilers- 149
2017 Seahawks- 148
2010 Raiders- 148
1993 Raiders- 148
2016 Raiders- 147
2005 Raiders- 147

[chant] We're Number 1! We're Number 1! [/chant]

Everyone's an expert
This team moved up in the second round (for Michael Mayer) and fourth round (twice, for Jakorian Bennett and for Aidan O’Connell). These weren’t dramatic moves from the coach who once moved up for Alphonso Smith and traded away the pick the Seahawks would use on Earl Thomas, but it’s the attitude toward picks that feels so off-putting.
The Raiders aren’t a player away. They need cheap, homegrown talent more than any other team. If anything, they should have been trying to move down.

There are a handful of beat writers I instantly discredit. Bill Barnwell is on that list.

Everyone's an expert

That is dumb.
We had a lot of trade capital and used them to move around the board a bit. Getting Mayer was a huge win. None of the trades were expensive. All teams trade up and down all the time. This seems to me to be trying to come up with writing material when things are slow.

Everyone's an expert

That is dumb.
We had a lot of trade capital and used them to move around the board a bit. Getting Mayer was a huge win. None of the trades were expensive. All teams trade up and down all the time. This seems to me to be trying to come up with writing material when things are slow.
A LOT of these media hacks are just vying for clicks. As Adam’s said, go play monopoly.

Everyone's an expert

That is dumb.
A LOT of these media hacks are just vying for clicks. As Adam’s said, go play monopoly.
Did you see the dude ?

Looks like Al Bundy played more football than this Bill guy ever did :laugh:

Last edited:
When does Brady take over as President of Football Operations?

2026 is my over/under. Seems inevitable of Mork doesn’t drive him crazy first.
Sounds about right. Before then, I’d expect him to start becoming the face of the franchise (which I can’t believe I’m even saying). Adding his 2 cents here and there behind closed doors. It’s crazy to think what is actually about to happen to this franchise. Overall, it could turn out to be the best thing to happen in over 20 years. Something and/or someone needs to fix the systemic dysfunction that has plagued this team since Al’s elderly days.

mark will adopt brady and tom will become a davis. tom davis will lead the raidahs to a superb owl as a owner/coach/player. my sources have never been wrong!
It is wild tho, how the Patriot's have their finger prints all over the Raider organization in under a year .
My new england friends are as messed up about this as Raiders fans are :laugh:

Jimmy G had surgery right after signing with us... getting a good jump on the whole being out thing.
Read into it further. It was scheduled. The raiders knew about it. The 49ers told him he didn’t need the surgery. It’s May. Should be fine. But still.

AAWTKDIK
Looks like the Raiders actually made a smart move :shock: and reworked Garoppolo's contract where they can be free and clear from him without owing him a penny if the foot prevents him from playing.

Maybe they'll tank for Caleb Williams.

Wowzers on that Grop deal. Stunning turn. Wondering now if dude will ever play for the Raiders. $22 MM is a lot of scratch to bet on a bum foot.

Good to see things are finally going back to normal. I was starting to get a little optimistic about this season but this Grop news slapped me back into reality.

AAWTKDIK
Looks like the Raiders actually made a smart move :shock: and reworked Garoppolo's contract where they can be free and clear from him without owing him a penny if the foot prevents him from playing.

Wait.... maybe they are BRILLIANT!!! Hear me out....

Put yourself as a decision maker late last year. You suck. You have an outside chance of making the playoffs. You have a QB that if you give him a decent team around him will certainly make it is a playoff team. How can you get rid of him but then don't make it obvious to the fanbase that you have given up to try to get Caleb? Get rid of that good QB for nothing in return and then go sign a QB you know will not play a full season while you let the QB you said you wanted to get a good look at and performed to the level of good backup go in FA. You then downgrade your backup who you will certainly have to have play a significant part of the season. BOOM! Crappy record and hopefully the top pick in the draft!!!

Davis, Ziegler and McDaniels are playing checkers while the rest of us are coloring with crayons.

AAWTKDIK

Put yourself as a decision maker late last year. You suck. You have an outside chance of making the playoffs. You have a QB that if you give him a decent team around him will certainly make it is a playoff team. How can you get rid of him but then don't make it obvious to the fanbase that you have given up to try to get Caleb? Get rid of that good QB for nothing in return and then go sign a QB you know will not play a full season while you let the QB you said you wanted to get a good look at and performed to the level of good backup go in FA. You then downgrade your backup who you will certainly have to have play a significant part of the season. BOOM! Crappy record and hopefully the top pick in the draft!!!

Davis, Ziegler and McDaniels are playing checkers while the rest of us are coloring with crayons.
Exactly that.

Or maybe we suck at the game.

As a fan I would have zero problem if Mark Davis held a press conference and stated the goal for 2023 is to lose every game.

Last edited:
The Raiders could, in theory, trade Adams after June 1, limited the cap charge to $7.85 million this year and $23.6 million in 2024.
Per profootballtalk.com. If the Raiders are not so secretly tanking, they should see if they can move him for a 2024 first.

They need to find an over-confident GM who thinks he is one or two pieces away from a championship roster. My first thought was Jerral Wayne Jones. However, I may have gone to far down the rabbit hole.

AAWTKDIK

Eating crayons

we aren't even to training camp yet and already it's like this :lol:

if it ends up the defense improves dramatically and the offense is putting field goals every scoring drive, lol.

Something smells fishy to me. I get it, DC and McD didn’t mesh, they moved on, fine. But how do you let Jarrett Stidham walk when he proved he can perform in McD’s system and replace him with JimmyG on crutches and an over the hill Hoyer? Then, you choose to back them up with two extreme projects in O’Connell and Garbers. When I really examine the QB room McZ has created this offseason it just makes me scratch my head and wonder what the heck is really going on. The only logical conclusion is that they are paving the way for another Tom Brady comeback. I personally feel Brady is done and would never come play for the Raiders who annually have one of the worst defenses in the League, but I have no other explanation for what they’re trying to at QB, unless they’re tanking for Caleb Williams. And if that’s the case, it might be the final straw for me.

Josh McDonald's show is quite the ride. Staring at the very real possibility of Brian Hoyer and a 4th round rookie, who was widely considered a reach even in that round, as the top two QBs this season.

You are all coloring with crayons. I, for one, have total faith in these decision makers that have yet given us a reason to have any faith in them because..... I dunno.... I will let you guys fill in the blank.

Users who are viewing this thread