What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Draft Time (2 Viewers)

I think that the Bills are beatable, but not with Skylar. Kid is too green to handle that. Tua and Teddy gives us a chance. The bills made the pats O look good. If not for two great Kickoffs by Hines we are out of the playoffs and the bills are the 3 seed

:bs: Just to set the record straight for those of you who, like @Gatorman didn't watch the game:

The Bills ran the victory formation for the last 4 plays of the game, in the redzone.
don't forget the bomb that bounced off Gabe's face in the end zone

Arguably I'm not sure which is more important to this team: Tua or Armstead.
What if Buffalo wins and Miami wins???
Suddenly we're in the Playoffs
And we were always going to open up on the road in the WIldcard, 10-7, 11-6, even 12-5 doesn't seem like it would win the AFC East so we would enter at 9-8, not much difference.

AS I said when we played them in SEPT: THE FIRST TWO GAMES VS THE BILLS DON'T MATTER. ONLY THE THIRD ONE WILL!!!!!!!!!
I feel like we had similar POV on this upcoming weekend
The one thing we did not factor in is Tua not being available
We haven't heard anything and I would like Miami to at least pretend he might be in the game plan so Buffalo has to prepare for multiple QBs
Not that any of them will have lavish success up in Orchard Park in January
I think that the Bills are beatable, but not with Skylar. Kid is too green to handle that. Tua and Teddy gives us a chance. The bills made the pats O look good. If not for two great Kickoffs by Hines we are out of the playoffs and the bills are the 3 seed
I don’t share those same sentiments about Teddy......hell no.

Ok: this is the thread to talk about Miami both upcoming vs the bills and then the offseason

first: the bills. Well, we’ve played them tough w Tua but Thompson looks like a rookie. If he can get a one game Brock Purdy mojo then perhaps we can make a game of this. He played the toughest defense he was going to face last week, and while we didnt score tds he wasn’t hopeless. Miami was able to run on the bills the last matchup and I think armsteads availability will be the key to whether we can hang in this one. I assume McDaniel is going to try and run the ball to shorten the game and keep the defense of the field.

now, on to the off-season discussion: florio is reporting Brady to Miami is not dead. As i was discussing w mop in the Tua thread, I think this move would make a lot of sense, no matter how we feel about brady. Any other qb but Tom is coming in as a backup to Tua. With Tom, Tua gets to sit a year and get his head right, thompson gets another year of coaching, and Miami gets to “reset” their draft picks for a qb run in 2024 or 5 and pushes the Tua contract talks back a year (also allowing up to see how Lamar plays out in Baltimore).

our needs: well, linebacker, corner(ish), running back, and tackle. The good news is this is a deep draft for corners so even though we likely have X and Jones for one more year (their cap hits almost preclude us from cutting them) wr can start drafting some depth there (although one thing this season has given us is depth at the position).

we need a sideline to sideline lb that can cover more so than rush the passer. We have plenty of guys who can rush/blitz so a cover lb to me is our biggest need.

tackle: here is hoping that McDaniel knows how to scout guys he likes for the line. The line has not been an issue for us this year, but it is top 6 with armstrad in there and middle of the pack without him. I believe if you are going to have one really positive thing to say about the hiring of McDaniel (and to me there are A lot of positives) his fixing the o line (and making all that draft capital spent seem ok) is pretty good.

running back: we have 2 solid ones we can resign, or dip into the fa market for one of the guys out there, or draft one of the good ones coming out. San Fran and Miami have shown that the guy doesn’t have to be a first or second day pick to be a difference maker here.

NOW: on to what mop mentioned in the Tua thread:

head coach: solid hire. Needs some seasoning as a head coach, but none of us I think would trade him for anyone at this point save the guys who aren’t going anywhere (tomlin, bill b, harbaugh). I think maybe daboll is the only guy in this past hiring cycle that you could argue was a better hire

dc and st: I think McDaniel may need to go shopping for new guys there, but the line has beem solid and the secondary for all its injuries seemed to be well coached by surtain and madison.

GM: well, as Parcells would say Grier did a great job buying the groceries this year. Bridgewater on paper looked like a good grab, but a qb with a history of injuries got hurt when we needed him is a mark against him. I think th collaboration between him and McDaniel will be a winner mainly bc McDaniel is such an easy guy to work with.

the qb position in general: well, yes the shadow of Herbert looms large but really only bc of Tua’s injuries at this point. While I am cool handing him the keys again next year we need a better option as his backup or we go get Brady and see what he can do with these weapons (and the guys he recruits to come play with him). It’s a devils bargain in that case, but wtf. It would be fun to watch and we’d have a lot of prime time games.

the owner: well, one hopes that Ross learned his lesson. I doubt it bc rich idiots in NY real estate tend to stay idiots but perhaps a more low key approach is warranted. Then again, if we are going to get the Brady circus Ross is likely the reason it happens, not Grier.

that is all.

I think if Byron Jones does not restructure he has no chance on being on this roster after June 1st. Because after that his cap hit goes significantly down that it is quite palatable.

If Sam Madison had his way....Jones will be cut after June 1st.

We have Trill Williams coming back as well as Needham and Brandon Jones. Trill Williams was a rising star....and Kohou has been a revelation. If we can land a bluechip CB somehow in the 2nd round in the 2023 draft.....wow.

We must find a way to retain Christian Wilkins who has developed into an absolute stud DT.

Tackle and LB are absolute needs.

I think Brady will be here next season. It will allow Tua a year to recover and learn from the GOAT. Skylar can carry the clipboard for a year as well. And yes this puts off the extension for Tua which I am not comfortable about at all at this point.

Sunday......it simply comes down to getting off to a great start both on offense and defense and IMO we need to take the crowd out early. An early turnover would be huge for us. Running the ball will be critical and we will see both Wilson and Ahmed handling the carries. Losing Mostert really stings. And man......we need Armstead to suck it up and play. Seriously.

Last edited:
Toast to the Phins!
2022 was a terrific and exciting year, ended short of where we want to go
Hoping the Playoffs game and getting to experience all 4 quarters, having a legit shot at the end to pull a win
I hope that carries over to next season and I hope there is no issue with giving McDaniel a 2nd season, that surely seems fair and I would prefer Brady steer clear if he feels different
I am not going to push that narrative, would rather roll the dice on Carr honestly and I bet the Bucs do too at this point

Don't cry, don't hang your head, lot to discuss and sort out in the coming weeks/months, enjoy the Playoffs and let's keep an open mind about how we can move forward and get better with limited resources and a roster that is mostly set in stone going into next season minus a few missing pieces

Cheers!
:thumbup:

It was my favorite season since 1994 which was the last time I felt this good about a Dolphins team.

We are a healthy QB away from really doing some damage.
And you have great draft picks to continue your build. This team's future is very bright.

Miami needs a TE who can block, get open, and catch the ball. And a starting CB. Another OT. A running back to complement or replace Wilson or Mostert, only 1 will stay IMO. And the elephant in the room, a healthy starting QB. Skylar is a decent cheap backup.

With the least draft capital, and not much cap space until contracts get restructured.

Miami needs a TE who can block, get open, and catch the ball. And a starting CB. Another OT. A running back to complement or replace Wilson or Mostert, only 1 will stay IMO. And the elephant in the room, a healthy starting QB. Skylar is a decent cheap backup.

With the least draft capital, and not much cap space until contracts get restructured.
The QB position will interesting to see this off-season. You got two legit proven veterans in Rodgers (who might be available) and Brady (who undoubtedly will be available).

I think worse case scenario is they exercise Tua’s fifth year option and do not offer an extension and wait and see how 2023 plays out. Much like what the Giants did with Daniel Jones who BTW is quietly becoming a solid starting QB before our eyes this season.

Both Mostert and Wilson are free agents. Miami badly needs to build a consistent running game.

I would prefer they finally move on from Grier, but at least he is good at restructuring the crap contracts he gives out. The money slated for Byron Jones and X next year is rough.

Both Mostert and Wilson are free agents. Miami badly needs to build a consistent running game.

I would prefer they finally move on from Grier, but at least he is good at restructuring the crap contracts he gives out. The money slated for Byron Jones and X next year is rough.
X was playing on a bum groin all season. When healthy he is still elite.

Jones will be cut after June 1st if he does not restructure. I am not even sure the Dolphins will even restructure him.

Sieler and Wilkins must be retained. I would keep Mostert and go after another RB to pair up with him.

A lesson for coach McDaniel courtesy of the Giants. Brian Daboll doesn't call plays, except for 4th down call. He delegated that duty to offensive coordinator Mike Kafka.

Whenever you lose by one score the coulda woulda shoulda crowd comes in to blame the refs (justified), the coach (justified), a particular player (sometimes) or simply bad luck. Miami fans have the right to complain about all of those things, but, at the end of the day, with a rookie HC, a third string qb, a decimated secondary, a defensive game plan with few new wrinkles, and a decent amount of home cooking with the refs the dolphins played well enough to win and just bad enough to lose.

improvement is needed everywhere (even in the wr room) but we are so close to being mentioned in the same breath as the really good teams in the nfl. Happy off-season everyone.

twitter 3YardsPerCarry
Interesting stat: The 2022 Dolphins were within 1 score of taking the lead, in every loss in the 4th qtr, EVERY GAME this season, including the playoff game. Last Dolphins team to come close to doing that, was the 14-2, 84' Fins, who made it to the SB, before the streak snapped

Coach MM should take full responsibility for the 4th and 1 becoming a 4th and 6th. There were no TOs cause the play calling was late on multiple previous plays. As Romo pointed out, the odds of converting a 3rd and 19 are low, so why try ... agressive playcalling resulted in an INT and short field for Allen. The offense regressed a little throughout the season even before Tua got injured. Coach MM needs to evaluate play calling, including the possibility of delegating.

Meanwhile, the defense got better later in the year. I think Coach Boyer may have saved his job.

Coach MM should take full responsibility for the 4th and 1 becoming a 4th and 6th. There were no TOs cause the play calling was late on multiple previous plays. As Romo pointed out, the odds of converting a 3rd and 19 are low, so why try ... agressive playcalling resulted in an INT and short field for Allen. The offense regressed a little throughout the season even before Tua got injured. Coach MM needs to evaluate play calling, including the possibility of delegating.

Meanwhile, the defense got better later in the year. I think Coach Boyer may have saved his job.
@TripleThreat
This play towards the end of the game where it was 3rd and 1 and then 4th and 1 and then 4th and 6, that was my breaking point in the game and the entire season where I had been mostly quiet when McDaniel made goofs as a coach and it reared its ugly head again on Sunday and that was when I said something about the coach's ego etc...that was what that was about and I didn't want to discuss it as deep on Sunday at the end since I might have been a little salty about them getting as far as they did with a 3rd string QB

twitter 3YardsPerCarry
Interesting stat: The 2022 Dolphins were within 1 score of taking the lead, in every loss in the 4th qtr, EVERY GAME this season, including the playoff game. Last Dolphins team to come close to doing that, was the 14-2, 84' Fins, who made it to the SB, before the streak snapped
And that is exactly the team they reminded many of at different points of the season
'84 Dolphins on defense weren't much better than the '22 Defense, in some ways even worse

Things that do not need to be fixed on Offense

LT-Armstead is under contract for several more seasons, Top10 Offensive Tackle
C-Connor Williams will be entering Year 2 of his 3 yr deal, Top5 season at Center for him
RG or RT Robert Hunt will be entering Season 4 and I prefer he stay at RG. He graded out in Top 10-15 starting RG/LG
We have 3 different linemen that are borderline Pro Bowl level, Tackle-Guard-Center so I don't see the problem. You can't afford to field 5 All-Pros, Eich and Jackson should have been the missing pieces or at least one fo the 2 spots that need filled, hasn't happened and time to move on.

WR1 and WR2 seem pretty locked up IMHO :lol:
Quarterback...Tua and Skylar, what do you want to hear? We have the starter and his back up
A back up that has some game experience including a Playoff under his belt, Strock 2.0

2 Positions that Miami needs to address IMHO include Tight End since Gesicki is out of here, Miami should recoup a 3rd on him likely after he signs with another team
The 2nd spot is of course RB, I would like to see a dynamic rookie like Buffalo now has James Cook, we need some playmakers in the running game. The 2 Vets were nice but we need a bell cow type that can take some heat off the QB spot some of the time.

WR3, WR4, WR5...Cedric Wilson is taking money from other spots we need to address, Cracraft and can stay though, we have EZ E hopefully in the cuts next year.

Offensive Line...Robert Jones is leaving unless he's willing to give Miami a big discount for getting his career started. He logged a lot of minutes this year and played pretty well but we need to try and find a replacement cheap thru the Draft. Right Tackle? Anyone want to invite Liam Eichenberg and Austin Jackson back to compete for that 1 spot? I think I would like to see both of them cut to send a message your job is never safe here, even when we draft you fairly high. They will not exercise the 5th year option on Jackson IMHO, if they do they are fools.

The Offense overall is in pretty good shape but they need to show more commitment to the running game in 2023. Wilson and Mostert were nice in stretches throughout the regular season but Mostert was injured and inactive for the Buffalo Playoff game, Jeff Wilson dropped several passes and I watched one slip right thru his hands, I would not bank on him to produce a lot in the passing game. We need a dynamic playmaker at RB. Look what th nIners are doing with McCaffrey right now and a 3rd string QB.

Last edited:
twitter 3YardsPerCarry
And that is exactly the team they reminded many of at different points of the season
'84 Dolphins on defense weren't much better than the '22 Defense, in some ways even worse
Rex Ryan made a good point on one of these talking head shows that I saw a clip of. It was about Staley (and Saturday) losing historically large leads this year. He was talking about that is the danger of appointing these young/inexperienced coaches without these type of situational reps. I think the same point applies to McDaniel.

There have been cons in his first year but also big pros. Let's see if he is humble and open minded enough to learn from his mistakes.

2023 Cap $225M...we don't have the resources to sign a lot of free agents
2024 Cap $256M...what a jump!
Miami in '24 would be $72M Under the Cap as it stands right now
$82M once we release Jones at CB :lol:

I would not pour hours over the salary cap right now. Miami does not have a lot of wiggle, it's pretty simple and since they were very close in most of their games, even the losses they had chances in the 2nd Half of most of the games to take the lead, that's something you want to keep not tear apart.

Last edited:
Almost over the loss in Buffalo. Expected a blowout and they surprised me. So many drops by WR’s early in the game. Moving on . . .

I never want to see Teddy Bridgewater in a Dolphins uniform again - useless and he sucks.
Wilkins needs to be paid, like yesterday. Give this beast whatever he wants.
Also done with both Baker & Roberts - these dudes can’t cover a TE or RB out of the backfield if their lives depended on it.
Need a thumping MLB in the worst way.
Continue the decades long Oline build - RT a huge need. Shocked at how bad Eichenberg has been.
Don’t pay/bring in a FA RB - draft one.
Teach Tua how to fall down and get him one of those giant Mahomes helmets.

Did everyone watch the Grier McD presser?
I cannot accept that Mike McDaniel thought it was 1st Down when it was 4th and 1
I also heard he blamed it on the coaching booth up stairs but i have not actually heard the words come from his mouth
2nd hand info from other Dolphin fans
Agree. I don't believe it at all. Late play calls and delays were an issue all game. Just be honest and take the blame. Makes it worse that he lied about it.

I'm not sure how much credit coach MM deserves for getting big years out of a future HOF WR, a all-pro LT (who missed about 4 games), and a potential all-pro 2nd WR. Sure they excelled vs bad defenses, like BAL with most of their secondary out, DET, CHI, and HOU. But in crunch time down the stretch and especially in the playoff game, the offense left a lot to be desired. I think the problems were related to play calling, including formations. Not taking more responsibility for getting plays into Skylar in a timely fashion is concerning. Coach did infuse confidence in Tua, when most didn't believe, so he gets credit for that.

I'm not sure how much credit coach MM deserves for getting big years out of a future HOF WR, a all-pro LT (who missed about 4 games), and a potential all-pro 2nd WR. Sure they excelled vs bad defenses, like BAL with most of their secondary out, DET, CHI, and HOU. But in crunch time down the stretch and especially in the playoff game, the offense left a lot to be desired. I think the problems were related to play calling, including formations. Not taking more responsibility for getting plays into Skylar in a timely fashion is concerning. Coach did infuse confidence in Tua, when most didn't believe, so he gets credit for that.

The RPO was fun to watch when Tua was in.

The delay of game penalties and false starts in that last game were brutal though. But that’s all with a 3rd string rookie QB and 2-3 guys on the Oline playing out of position. And I mentioned this in my last post - so many drops early in the game for Waddle & Hill.

Coach McD sure doesn’t play scared. - he‘s gone for it on 4th down pretty much all year - regardless of where they were on the field. IF there is one issue I have with him is abandoning the running game. That 2nd regular season game vs Buffalo they were running wild in the first half and then just stopped running the ball. Still dunno why?

Maybe have someone else call in the plays and manage the clock?

I really think this teams interior and outside line play can only get better with the guys they have in the building. The definitedly need some speed in the second level and then some health in the third level of the defense. a "wade phillips" type guy would be the perfect kind of DC for this team.

McDaniel for all of the "in-game" issues he had was a great coach of men this year: Never too high on the winning, never to low on the losing. Team stayed together and played hard.
He does need to get better at his job. Too many dumb penalties, too many late into the clock calls, situational issues that could be solved by having someone who plays madden Standing next to him, but the good news is all of that is fixable.

Now it is up to them to scout and get some new guys in here to help out and get your popcorn ready for a three way battle for the division next year. The Jets are no joke, The Bills are no joke, and the pats, well, its time for Billy B to see what the cellar looks like.

I really think this teams interior and outside line play can only get better with the guys they have in the building. The definitedly need some speed in the second level and then some health in the third level of the defense. a "wade phillips" type guy would be the perfect kind of DC for this team.

McDaniel for all of the "in-game" issues he had was a great coach of men this year: Never too high on the winning, never to low on the losing. Team stayed together and played hard.
He does need to get better at his job. Too many dumb penalties, too many late into the clock calls, situational issues that could be solved by having someone who plays madden Standing next to him, but the good news is all of that is fixable.

Now it is up to them to scout and get some new guys in here to help out and get your popcorn ready for a three way battle for the division next year. The Jets are no joke, The Bills are no joke, and the pats, well, its time for Billy B to see what the cellar looks like.
Good observation

OL-Connor Williams and Robert Hunt make a strong 1-2 punch on that right side "A Gap and many times move defenders out of the way so Tua had clear sight paths to throw into the middle of the field. I wondered how long that would last when we were marveling how he had wide open lanes to throw up into the pocket.

DL-Christian Wilkins and Zach Sieler make a strong set of towers on the DL, both of them play at a Pro Bowl level IMHO. Wilkins might be ALL Pro this year

Interior of both Lines is pretty good, not Super Bowl but pretty good. Williams was playing a new position after he left Dallas as an OG. We solved the Center issue for now. Robert Jones was solid but we can improve at LG unless Eichenberg makes amazing leaps and strides in the off season. I lost faith finally at some point this season but I maintain that he has the fight I like to see and I wish he graded higher. It would be Year 3 for him and it would be nice if he were part of the solution. I don't have any answers at Right Tackle or even a solid back up for when Armstead misses time which he will.

The Dolphins were bottom of the league in getting plays off in a timely fashion on offense. Only the GB Packers were worse in snapping the ball with 3 seconds or less on the clock. Most delay of game penalties, with 8. McDaniel needs to do better in 2023.

From the Herald’s Daniel Oyefusi:

>>The Dolphins used all three of their second-half timeouts because of issues getting out of the huddle in a timely fashion. Miami was out of timeouts with 4:13 remaining in the game and unable to avoid a delay of game penalty that pushed the offense back 5 yards for an unsuccessful fourth-down try on its final possession. Both rookie quarterback Skylar Thompson and head coach Mike McDaniel took the blame for the slow operation. This issue was prevalent throughout the season, regardless of the quarterback playing. According to nflpenalties.com, the Dolphins ranked second in the NFL with eight delay-of-game penalties, including in the postseason. According to a review of data from play index site nflfastR, 31.9 percent of the Dolphins’ plays in the first, second and third quarter this season, including the wild-card round, were snapped with three seconds or fewer on the play clock, the league’s second-highest rate (Fourth quarters were excluded from the sample to account for clock-draining strategies in end-of-game situations). Only the Green Bay Packers had a higher rate.

The Dolphins ran 69 plays against the Bills on Sunday and 33 came within three seconds on the play clock (47.8 percent), according to nflfastR. The Dolphins switch through multiple personnel groupings and use pre-snap motion at the highest rate in the NFL, which explains why they often run plays with the play clock winding down. However, McDaniel noted the communication in calling plays is something he will have to improve in his second season as a full-time play-caller. “There was compounding variables to that, things that you can’t really change in hindsight,” McDaniel said. “There are some things that, as I mentioned before, that I need to work out with the staff. The bottom line is I need to work it out with the staff. So if it became a problem in crunch time, that’s ultimately my responsibility. It wasn’t necessarily for a lack of direction. It was more just really working on the nuances of communication, which starts with me.”<<

Ok: this is the thread to talk about Miami both upcoming vs the bills and then the offseason

first: the bills. Well, we’ve played them tough w Tua but Thompson looks like a rookie. If he can get a one game Brock Purdy mojo then perhaps we can make a game of this. He played the toughest defense he was going to face last week, and while we didnt score tds he wasn’t hopeless. Miami was able to run on the bills the last matchup and I think armsteads availability will be the key to whether we can hang in this one. I assume McDaniel is going to try and run the ball to shorten the game and keep the defense of the field.

now, on to the off-season discussion: florio is reporting Brady to Miami is not dead. As i was discussing w mop in the Tua thread, I think this move would make a lot of sense, no matter how we feel about brady. Any other qb but Tom is coming in as a backup to Tua. With Tom, Tua gets to sit a year and get his head right, thompson gets another year of coaching, and Miami gets to “reset” their draft picks for a qb run in 2024 or 5 and pushes the Tua contract talks back a year (also allowing up to see how Lamar plays out in Baltimore).

our needs: well, linebacker, corner(ish), running back, and tackle. The good news is this is a deep draft for corners so even though we likely have X and Jones for one more year (their cap hits almost preclude us from cutting them) wr can start drafting some depth there (although one thing this season has given us is depth at the position).

we need a sideline to sideline lb that can cover more so than rush the passer. We have plenty of guys who can rush/blitz so a cover lb to me is our biggest need.

tackle: here is hoping that McDaniel knows how to scout guys he likes for the line. The line has not been an issue for us this year, but it is top 6 with armstrad in there and middle of the pack without him. I believe if you are going to have one really positive thing to say about the hiring of McDaniel (and to me there are A lot of positives) his fixing the o line (and making all that draft capital spent seem ok) is pretty good.

running back: we have 2 solid ones we can resign, or dip into the fa market for one of the guys out there, or draft one of the good ones coming out. San Fran and Miami have shown that the guy doesn’t have to be a first or second day pick to be a difference maker here.

NOW: on to what mop mentioned in the Tua thread:

head coach: solid hire. Needs some seasoning as a head coach, but none of us I think would trade him for anyone at this point save the guys who aren’t going anywhere (tomlin, bill b, harbaugh). I think maybe daboll is the only guy in this past hiring cycle that you could argue was a better hire

dc and st: I think McDaniel may need to go shopping for new guys there, but the line has beem solid and the secondary for all its injuries seemed to be well coached by surtain and madison.

GM: well, as Parcells would say Grier did a great job buying the groceries this year. Bridgewater on paper looked like a good grab, but a qb with a history of injuries got hurt when we needed him is a mark against him. I think th collaboration between him and McDaniel will be a winner mainly bc McDaniel is such an easy guy to work with.

the qb position in general: well, yes the shadow of Herbert looms large but really only bc of Tua’s injuries at this point. While I am cool handing him the keys again next year we need a better option as his backup or we go get Brady and see what he can do with these weapons (and the guys he recruits to come play with him). It’s a devils bargain in that case, but wtf. It would be fun to watch and we’d have a lot of prime time games.

the owner: well, one hopes that Ross learned his lesson. I doubt it bc rich idiots in NY real estate tend to stay idiots but perhaps a more low key approach is warranted. Then again, if we are going to get the Brady circus Ross is likely the reason it happens, not Grier.

that is all.
We take the time to write wonderful well thought out analysis from our POV or what our eyes tell us and it's great to scroll back and bump posts that allow for further thought on some of this.

I understand Gator wrote this prior to the Buffalo game but not a lot changed from before to after that game, think most of us were happy for Skylar to start and NFL Playoff game, to throw a TD to Mike Gesicki on his way out of Miami, for Skylar to do that with his father in the stands, he looked so proud and calm watching his son play.

That's the moments I want to remember, almost beating Buffalo in Orchard Park in January with a 3rd string QB, ball in our hands and driving for at least a game tying FG or perhaps a TD to win the game. Yes, we were that close to beating the Buffalo Bills.

All that said, you are way too soft on Chris Grier
Have no fear, we will systematically go thru all his Drafts, trades, FA signings
The 2020 Draft and where we are at having the 5th, 16th and 30th pick that year and have almost nothing to show for it in the NOW, has to be some accountability

Good stuff, I know not everyone is going to look at things as I do, that's why I like to highlight many of Gator's posts, we are sort of Ying and Yang at times but we root for the same team and we want them to get back to a winning franchise. Super bowl? I'd like to see this team become a regular in the Playoffs, especially since we don't have a Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Lawrence, Herbert...how many times is Miami going to make the Playoffs competing against those teams with Quarterbacks?

need some speed in the second level
Channing Tindall ran a 4.47
Chalk things up to Rookie Year
Skylar was a 7th Rd and he looked good enough to be the back up for the next year or two while he learns more.

MoP Hi-Jack in progress...
One of the staples of Miami Dolphins in the 70s, 80s and 90s was good back up QBs. Morrall and Don Strock but then we had Scott Mitchell and some vets like Steve Deberg one year and Bernie Kosar floated thru here once.

Still searching for a dependable starter but we may have solved the back up spot and at quite a discount. His salary has to be $500K or less, Tua is only owed $4M next year, his cap number is more but in all seriousness, Teddy Bridgewater made more this year than Tua and Skylar will combined in 2023

...assuming Tua will even take the field without a new guaranteed contract of some kind. We don't have to dive into that today, I've said enough on the matter already and let it be known I'm in the minority camp that he holds out or works hard behind the scenes to get some kind of signing bonus by June/July, we'll see how far out in left field I am on this one.

How in the world is Miami OTC when QB is under $5M, franchise tag TE is gone, $7.5M back up Teddy B is gone, where is all the money?

How in the world is Miami OTC when QB is under $5M, franchise tag TE is gone, $7.5M back up Teddy B is gone, where is all the money?
Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb, Terron Armstead, Xavien Howard and Emmanuel Ogbah. Per Barry Jackson, Miami will restructure the contracts of at least 4 of them.
This is one of the reasons I didn't want to dumpster dive on their salary cap until we see what they do in the coming weeks/months. I would not expect Miami to be a big player in free agency.
Doesn't mean they shouldn't try and find some bargains to fill in the missing pieces.

Questions for Miami fans and the Shark Pool

-What are the 3 biggest needs for the Miami Dolphins entering 2023? As you see them NOW, things can chsnge but right here right now, what does Miami need?

-What are the 3 biggest needs for the Miami Dolphins entering 2023? As you see them NOW, things can chsnge but right here right now, what does Miami need?

Easy:
1) A stable QB room. Don't know if that means Tua with some better backups (than teddy pinkie two gloves), or someone coming in to compete for the position (Brady), but that is the #1 issue for next season.

2) Better coaching: whether that means McDaniel getting better at in-game management, the Defense getting its act together, or the special teams being a threat rather than a liability the bottom line is we have too much talent on the defensive side of the ball now (especially in the front line) for teams to be able to complete 3rd and 13 with ease. We have too much talent on the offensive side of the ball now not to score at will. We have too much talent on special teams to give up big gains and not get big gains. The good news here is the salary cap does not exist for coaches.

3) Some linebackers who can change the game. Imagine this D with Zach Thomas in his prime. We need film junkie speed linebackers that make Josh Allen nervous.

Honorable mention: Continued improvement along the o line: OK, so We brought in the right coaches to get the best out of the guys we drafted before they got here (Flores was an idiot when it came to the o line). Now we need to assess what (who) worked and what (who) didn't and make changes accordingly. I would argue the Dolphins were worse when Armstead was out than they were when he was in and Tua was out. We can't have one guy on the line determine whether we win or lose the game.

Things I'm not worried about:
1)Running back: there are plenty out there and more than a few will fit this system at a reasonable price.
2) the salary cap; Phins have done a good job moving money around and even if you hate Stephen Ross, he is willing to spend money to win.
3) The secondary: Miami got hit hard by the injury bug this year at the position. The good news there is we will get a lot of people back who looked/are good so that group should be better just bc there will be more bodies with more game experience.

Bevell declined to interview with both jets and commanders for OC
If he wants to interview with the Jets, bye bye.
The play calling was coming in so late, maybe it's all on Mike McD but I would like to see some other faces on this team as assistants in 2023.
I'm not sure McDaniels assistants are as strong as he is.
Still, the QB coach? I would hope McDaniel was the one mostly responsible for Tua's break thru in '22.

Is there anyone that thinks Tua didn't have a break thru season in 2022? I understand if you are apprehensive about the concussions and 12 injuries in 5 years but didn't Tua show you that with the right folks around him and when he isn't injured, he's pretty good at moving the team up and down the field, yes/no? Stats, media, NFL tool talkers all say he is the bomb when he is upright.
I'm trying to find some common ground where we don't have to argue as much

I'm definitely feeling Miami exercising that 5th year option, that is an absolute must and will protect the Dolphins and Tua
Correct me if I am wrong, but once the 5th year is exercised by Miami, that is guaranteed I believe.
At the 1.05 level where he was drafted, gotta be north of $25M and that's a nice signing bonus for trying to take the field in 2023, even if Tua fails to start all 17 games.
I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel I think

The play calling was coming in so late, maybe it's all on Mike McD but I would like to see some other faces on this team as assistants in 2023.
Still, the QB coach? I would hope McDaniel was the one mostly responsible for Tua's break thru in '22.

Is there anyone that thinks Tua didn't have a break thru season in 2022? I understand if you are apprehensive about the concussions and 12 injuries in 5 years but didn't Tua show you that with the right folks around him and when he isn't injured, he's pretty good at moving the team up and down the field, yes/no? Stats, media, NFL tool talkers all say he is the bomb when he is upright.

I'm definitely feeling Miami exercising that 5th year option, that is an absolute must and will protect the Dolphins and Tua
Correct me if I am wrong, but once the 5th year is exercised by Miami, that is guaranteed I believe.
At the 1.05 level where he was drafted, gotta be north of $25M and that's a nice signing bonus for trying to take the field in 2023, even if Tua fails to start all 17 games.
I wonder what they do here. Miami has been good at being creative with contracts that look big on paper, but really help our cap issues while giving us "outs' or "extensions" depending on how the player does. If the option is their only mechanism, they will use it and hope for the best. More likely they give him a 4 year deal that looks like 80-100 mil but is really 2 years and 35 with it being back ended and then insured against injury.

I wonder what they do here. Miami has been good at being creative with contracts that look big on paper, but really help our cap issues while giving us "outs' or "extensions" depending on how the player does. If the option is their only mechanism, they will use it and hope for the best. More likely they give him a 4 year deal that looks like 80-100 mil but is really 2 years and 35 with it being back ended and then insured against injury.
I'm thinking more like 4 yrs, $160M, lot of it backloaded, cap projected around $290M by 2025, I hate to remind folks but that's only 2 years away(3 seasons).

Things MoP is not worried about right now include the cap. They play so many numbers games on spreadsheets and it's set to move up astronomically in the next 2-3-4 seasons. More than we have ever seen to this point.

I'm a lot more worried about RB than you are. Not because I don't think we can find one but...Raheem and Jeff are free agents. They never used Myles Gaskin but he's gone. I don't think they have a RB under contract so while you are right there's plenty, look how bad they did wasting money on Chase Edmonds last year. I'm worried they won't find the right Running Back, is that fair? We can sign anybody we want, but will they produce and is the coaching staff and front office committed to running the football? The SF 49'ers seem committed where McD came from, would think he wants to solidify that with such strong IOL like Connor Williams and Robert Hunt.

If Miami can get away with exercising the 5th year option on Tua without causing emotionally charged responses from him and his reps, that would be a big win for Miami because as I have mentioned a couple times, he is only owed $4M of his 4yr/$30M rookie deal, there's not a lot of reasons for him to be sympathetic to Miami's needs. I know he is team oriented and will do his best to do what is right. But he also has advisors and if I were one of his advisors I would be weighing what we could squeeze out of Stephen Ross this off season and I bet it's a lot more than some want to believe. I don't think i would have to convince you to extend Tua, if you were the Miami owner or Grier, you support them usually so i think you would have no issue putting some contract in front of him when Burrow and Herbert are likely to be extended and the media will be ALL OVER IT.

Do I agree with it? I'm a realist and I can't imagine Ross watching ESPN and Burrow/Herbert both get phat extensions and Tua sits there quietly, not gonna happen. Somewhere between that number you threw and mine, probably is the true number. If Miami could get him under contract on a 4/$120M extension that can be undone in 2 years, that's something to worth exploring.

Who else has made Miami look that good on Offense since Marino rode off into the sunset? I worry about his health too, do we have a fan intervention and ask him to retire? I didn't think so

I'm thinking more like 4 yrs, $160M, lot of it backloaded, cap projected around $290M by 2025, I hate to remind folks but that's only 2 years away(3 seasons).

Things MoP is not worried about right now include the cap. They play so many numbers games on spreadsheets and it's set to move up astronomically in the next 2-3-4 seasons. More than we have ever seen to this point.

I'm a lot more worried about RB than you are. Not because I don't think we can find one but...Raheem and Jeff are free agents. They never used Myles Gaskin but he's gone. I don't think they have a RB under contract so while you are right there's plenty, look how bad they did wasting money on Chase Edmonds last year. I'm worried they won't find the right Running Back, is that fair? We can sign anybody we want, but will they produce and is the coaching staff and front office committed to running the football? The SF 49'ers seem committed where McD came from, would think he wants to solidify that with such strong IOL like Connor Williams and Robert Hunt.

If Miami can get away with exercising the 5th year option on Tua without causing emotionally charged responses from him and his reps, that would be a big win for Miami because as I have mentioned a couple times, he is only owed $4M of his 4yr/$30M rookie deal, there's not a lot of reasons for him to be sympathetic to Miami's needs. I know he is team oriented and will do his best to do what is right. But he also has advisors and if I were one of his advisors I would be weighing what we could squeeze out of Stephen Ross this off season and I bet it's a lot more than some want to believe. I don't think i would have to convince you to extend Tua, if you were the Miami owner or Grier, you support them usually so i think you would have no issue putting some contract in front of him when Burrow and Herbert are likely to be extended and the media will be ALL OVER IT.

Do I agree with it? I'm a realist and I can't imagine Ross watching ESPN and Burrow/Herbert both get phat extensions and Tua sits there quietly, not gonna happen. Somewhere between that number you threw and mine, probably is the true number. If Miami could get him under contract on a 4/$120M extension that can be undone in 2 years, that's something to worth exploring.

Who else has made Miami look that good on Offense since Marino rode off into the sunset? I worry about his health too, do we have a fan intervention and ask him to retire? I didn't think so
well, therein lies the rub. Miami (grier) extended Tannyhill and that blew up in their faces. Tua has looked better than Tannyhill ever did, but he is no where near as durable. The other question is: where is Tua's leverage right now? What can he "ask" for that anyone with half a brain would commit to (also assuming he may only have half a brain at this moment)? If a lot of teams can play chicken with their QB situation (Dallas, Baltimore, The Commanders with cousins) why can't Miami? Again, Tua is a good kid, but thrice concussed QBs in one season do not get generational wealth style deals. The only thing saving this situation is the cap explosion in a few years. Whatever "reasonable" extension Miami makes with Tua is going to look like a bargain unless he cracks his head open again.

(Tannyhill to miami maybe? That would be fun to watch the fan base implode)

1. A healthy productive starting QB whomever that may be in 2023. I was quite pleased with How Tua looked this season....but I give him an incomplete grade. He had some terrible games but he also had a lot of good/great games. The issue continues to remain......staying on the damn field. Too many injuries and now gross negligence in how the Dolphins handled his first concussion vs Buffalo and allowing him to play just 4 days later at the Bengals where he could have really had permanent damage done that may cost him his career now.

2. Middle LB - We need a studly captain to man the middle.....and it’s not Jerome Baker.

3. RT - We still need another bookend tackle to compliment Armstead. The OL is in theist state it has been since the 2008 team. Still......we need more talent and discipline!!! Far too many false starts this season. Gotta tighten that up.

Overall we need to tweak the team not overhaul it. DC Boyer is most definitely on the hottest of hot seats. We also need a true OC so McD can focus on the game itself and clock management.

In the secondary we will be getting back:
Needham
Tril Williams
Brandon Jones
Byron Jones (restructured for sure)
A healthy Xavien Howard

Our secondary is an elite level secondary when healthy.

Our DL is fantastic. Phillips, Wilkins, Sieler, Chubb, Ogbah.....we have the goods. We were so decimated in that secondary this season it hamstrung what we could do.

RB is of little concern. I absolutely bring back Mostert and find a really good compliment. I saw enough of Wilson to know.....meh. A plodder who took an hour to hit a hole. Too many drops as well. I actually really like Ahmed. And I think he sticks around again. But I want to see us draft a young fresh legged one cut outside zone back who can come right in and fit the scheme to compliment Mostert who will always remain on a pitch count (it seems) at his advanced age and injury history.

WR’s - I don’t see Cedric Wilson around next season. Top 3 will be as we all know Hill, Waddle and Sherfield. I want to see more Cracraft though. I think he can be a great slot possession WR like the Raiders have with Renfrow. Also Easy E should be more of a factor.....but I am hearing whispers of low IQ in grasping the playbook.....that is a problem.

TE - I really like Smythe. He will be back and I want to see him utilized more as a pass catcher. Hunter Long is entering his pivotal 3rd year......it’s do or die with this kid in 2023. My understanding is the physical talent is all there......but he lacks the “nasty" required to be a top TE. He is big, strong and a prototypical multi purpose TE.....but something is not behind the chest to take him to the next level. And unfortunately that can’t be taught and when players are wired a certain way.....it is hard wired. So I have some doubts Long breaks through. I hope he does. But he has shown zilch so far in 2 completely non productive seasons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread