What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Draft Time (7 Viewers)

Bevell declined to interview with both jets and commanders for OC
If he wants to interview with the Jets, bye bye.
The play calling was coming in so late, maybe it's all on Mike McD but I would like to see some other faces on this team as assistants in 2023.
I'm not sure McDaniels assistants are as strong as he is.
Still, the QB coach? I would hope McDaniel was the one mostly responsible for Tua's break thru in '22.

Is there anyone that thinks Tua didn't have a break thru season in 2022? I understand if you are apprehensive about the concussions and 12 injuries in 5 years but didn't Tua show you that with the right folks around him and when he isn't injured, he's pretty good at moving the team up and down the field, yes/no? Stats, media, NFL tool talkers all say he is the bomb when he is upright.
I'm trying to find some common ground where we don't have to argue as much

I'm definitely feeling Miami exercising that 5th year option, that is an absolute must and will protect the Dolphins and Tua
Correct me if I am wrong, but once the 5th year is exercised by Miami, that is guaranteed I believe.
At the 1.05 level where he was drafted, gotta be north of $25M and that's a nice signing bonus for trying to take the field in 2023, even if Tua fails to start all 17 games.
I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel I think
I wonder what they do here. Miami has been good at being creative with contracts that look big on paper, but really help our cap issues while giving us "outs' or "extensions" depending on how the player does. If the option is their only mechanism, they will use it and hope for the best. More likely they give him a 4 year deal that looks like 80-100 mil but is really 2 years and 35 with it being back ended and then insured against injury.
I'm thinking more like 4 yrs, $160M, lot of it backloaded, cap projected around $290M by 2025, I hate to remind folks but that's only 2 years away(3 seasons).

Things MoP is not worried about right now include the cap. They play so many numbers games on spreadsheets and it's set to move up astronomically in the next 2-3-4 seasons. More than we have ever seen to this point.

I'm a lot more worried about RB than you are. Not because I don't think we can find one but...Raheem and Jeff are free agents. They never used Myles Gaskin but he's gone. I don't think they have a RB under contract so while you are right there's plenty, look how bad they did wasting money on Chase Edmonds last year. I'm worried they won't find the right Running Back, is that fair? We can sign anybody we want, but will they produce and is the coaching staff and front office committed to running the football? The SF 49'ers seem committed where McD came from, would think he wants to solidify that with such strong IOL like Connor Williams and Robert Hunt.

If Miami can get away with exercising the 5th year option on Tua without causing emotionally charged responses from him and his reps, that would be a big win for Miami because as I have mentioned a couple times, he is only owed $4M of his 4yr/$30M rookie deal, there's not a lot of reasons for him to be sympathetic to Miami's needs. I know he is team oriented and will do his best to do what is right. But he also has advisors and if I were one of his advisors I would be weighing what we could squeeze out of Stephen Ross this off season and I bet it's a lot more than some want to believe. I don't think i would have to convince you to extend Tua, if you were the Miami owner or Grier, you support them usually so i think you would have no issue putting some contract in front of him when Burrow and Herbert are likely to be extended and the media will be ALL OVER IT.

Do I agree with it? I'm a realist and I can't imagine Ross watching ESPN and Burrow/Herbert both get phat extensions and Tua sits there quietly, not gonna happen. Somewhere between that number you threw and mine, probably is the true number. If Miami could get him under contract on a 4/$120M extension that can be undone in 2 years, that's something to worth exploring.

Who else has made Miami look that good on Offense since Marino rode off into the sunset? I worry about his health too, do we have a fan intervention and ask him to retire? I didn't think so
well, therein lies the rub. Miami (grier) extended Tannyhill and that blew up in their faces. Tua has looked better than Tannyhill ever did, but he is no where near as durable. The other question is: where is Tua's leverage right now? What can he "ask" for that anyone with half a brain would commit to (also assuming he may only have half a brain at this moment)? If a lot of teams can play chicken with their QB situation (Dallas, Baltimore, The Commanders with cousins) why can't Miami? Again, Tua is a good kid, but thrice concussed QBs in one season do not get generational wealth style deals. The only thing saving this situation is the cap explosion in a few years. Whatever "reasonable" extension Miami makes with Tua is going to look like a bargain unless he cracks his head open again.

(Tannyhill to miami maybe? That would be fun to watch the fan base implode)
Ok...gonna call this out. Tua looked better for 8 games this year.....Tannehill had a great breakout season leading us to the post season before a knee injury killed our season with him. I venture to say if Tanny stayed healthy we actually win a playoff game that year. He was playing really well. It was all downhill after that knee injury.

Tua looked god awful his rookie and 2nd year.......and Tannehill went thru the same BS Tua went thru. Multiple OC’s and schemes. Once Gase got here (I hated him BTW) he settled in and looked like a solid NFL QB......but I am not going to sit here and say Tua is the best QB we have had since Marino......again it’s incomplete. Tua had proven one thing to me so far.

He cannot stay healthy.

So with that I agree.....Miami would be insane to commit to Tua long term.....I exercise his 5th year......and go from there. He still has to prove he can play 17 games and a post season. He has not proven anything of a sort to warrant a rich extension.....not in the least bit.

The play calling was coming in so late, maybe it's all on Mike McD but I would like to see some other faces on this team as assistants in 2023.
Still, the QB coach? I would hope McDaniel was the one mostly responsible for Tua's break thru in '22.

Is there anyone that thinks Tua didn't have a break thru season in 2022? I understand if you are apprehensive about the concussions and 12 injuries in 5 years but didn't Tua show you that with the right folks around him and when he isn't injured, he's pretty good at moving the team up and down the field, yes/no? Stats, media, NFL tool talkers all say he is the bomb when he is upright.

I'm definitely feeling Miami exercising that 5th year option, that is an absolute must and will protect the Dolphins and Tua
Correct me if I am wrong, but once the 5th year is exercised by Miami, that is guaranteed I believe.
At the 1.05 level where he was drafted, gotta be north of $25M and that's a nice signing bonus for trying to take the field in 2023, even if Tua fails to start all 17 games.
I wonder what they do here. Miami has been good at being creative with contracts that look big on paper, but really help our cap issues while giving us "outs' or "extensions" depending on how the player does. If the option is their only mechanism, they will use it and hope for the best. More likely they give him a 4 year deal that looks like 80-100 mil but is really 2 years and 35 with it being back ended and then insured against injury.
I'm thinking more like 4 yrs, $160M, lot of it backloaded, cap projected around $290M by 2025, I hate to remind folks but that's only 2 years away(3 seasons).

Things MoP is not worried about right now include the cap. They play so many numbers games on spreadsheets and it's set to move up astronomically in the next 2-3-4 seasons. More than we have ever seen to this point.

I'm a lot more worried about RB than you are. Not because I don't think we can find one but...Raheem and Jeff are free agents. They never used Myles Gaskin but he's gone. I don't think they have a RB under contract so while you are right there's plenty, look how bad they did wasting money on Chase Edmonds last year. I'm worried they won't find the right Running Back, is that fair? We can sign anybody we want, but will they produce and is the coaching staff and front office committed to running the football? The SF 49'ers seem committed where McD came from, would think he wants to solidify that with such strong IOL like Connor Williams and Robert Hunt.

If Miami can get away with exercising the 5th year option on Tua without causing emotionally charged responses from him and his reps, that would be a big win for Miami because as I have mentioned a couple times, he is only owed $4M of his 4yr/$30M rookie deal, there's not a lot of reasons for him to be sympathetic to Miami's needs. I know he is team oriented and will do his best to do what is right. But he also has advisors and if I were one of his advisors I would be weighing what we could squeeze out of Stephen Ross this off season and I bet it's a lot more than some want to believe. I don't think i would have to convince you to extend Tua, if you were the Miami owner or Grier, you support them usually so i think you would have no issue putting some contract in front of him when Burrow and Herbert are likely to be extended and the media will be ALL OVER IT.

Do I agree with it? I'm a realist and I can't imagine Ross watching ESPN and Burrow/Herbert both get phat extensions and Tua sits there quietly, not gonna happen. Somewhere between that number you threw and mine, probably is the true number. If Miami could get him under contract on a 4/$120M extension that can be undone in 2 years, that's something to worth exploring.

Who else has made Miami look that good on Offense since Marino rode off into the sunset? I worry about his health too, do we have a fan intervention and ask him to retire? I didn't think so
His advisors can go suck it. Tua has not done anything to warrant a rich extension.

Take a hike. He will be back up fodder anywhere else.

My Defensive Player of the Year trophy is going to Jaelan Phillips who has a PFF ranking of 6th out of 120 rated Edge/DE, that puts him in elite status and he does more than just hit the QB. I'm excited about him because I don't think he has reached his peak yet and it's not just the sack totals, he disrupts things. It would be nice if Chubb could come around soon so he has a sack partner to team up with. I would also be OK with many voting for Christian Wilkins who is 9th out of 125 rated DL on PFF, Zach Sierler was 22nd on that same list, those two make wonderful interior run stoppers, it's ridiculous our LBs in the middle didn't play better or have better numbers.

Some Univ of Miami bias?
Perhaps

Last edited:

well, therein lies the rub. Miami (grier) extended Tannyhill and that blew up in their faces. Tua has looked better than Tannyhill ever did, but he is no where near as durable. The other question is: where is Tua's leverage right now? What can he "ask" for that anyone with half a brain would commit to (also assuming he may only have half a brain at this moment)? If a lot of teams can play chicken with their QB situation (Dallas, Baltimore, The Commanders with cousins) why can't Miami? Again, Tua is a good kid, but thrice concussed QBs in one season do not get generational wealth style deals. The only thing saving this situation is the cap explosion in a few years. Whatever "reasonable" extension Miami makes with Tua is going to look like a bargain unless he cracks his head open again.

(Tannyhill to miami maybe? That would be fun to watch the fan base implode)
Ok...gonna call this out. Tua looked better for 8 games this year.....Tannehill had a great breakout season leading us to the post season before a knee injury killed our season with him. I venture to say if Tanny stayed healthy we actually win a playoff game that year. He was playing really well. It was all downhill after that knee injury.

Tua looked god awful his rookie and 2nd year.......and Tannehill went thru the same BS Tua went thru. Multiple OC’s and schemes. Once Gase got here (I hated him BTW) he settled in and looked like a solid NFL QB......but I am not going to sit here and say Tua is the best QB we have had since Marino......again it’s incomplete. Tua had proven one thing to me so far.

He cannot stay healthy.

So with that I agree.....Miami would be insane to commit to Tua long term.....I exercise his 5th year......and go from there. He still has to prove he can play 17 games and a post season. He has not proven anything of a sort to warrant a rich extension.....not in the least bit.
FTR: I said he made the offense look as good as I've seen it since Marino, maybe I'm not thinking clearly but I never saw some of the things I saw this year in quite a while. I know Hill and Waddle have plenty to do with it. But still the drop off when Tua was out was horrendous at times. I hope he takes the field next year and either stays upright as much as he can or we see the last of Tua in a Miami jersey.

I think we can all agree that year 4 of Tua's Rookie Run, this team has to try and go for a deep Playoff run in '23. AFter that, the salary cap balloons North of $250M, we will be out of the heavy parts of many of these contracts we took on and can restructure or move some folks on their way and have plenty of cash to not rebuild but RELOAD! That is when you have a better team and organization.

Super Bowl? We got a long way to go IMHO to think much about it. This team is not going to look a lot different next year, and that's not a bad thing in some areas but in others we need more and injuries are going to happen. You must have depth, some positions or players you cannot replace like Tyreek Hill as an example, Armstead comes to mind, also Tua ran things better than anyone else I've seen in forever. i don't remember Tannehill being great in a Miami uniform, was happy for him in Tennessee, he had to fight Mariota for the job when MM was drafted about the same time. Competition and big payday ahead is what motivated Tannehill to finally elevate so I'm hopeful Skylar will keep Tua motivated next season. Tua could be even better in Year 2 of Mike McDaniel's slow play calling offense.

Last edited:

He cannot stay healthy.

Not sure what you are "calling out" but here is my point: Tannyhill got a raw deal here. All that kid did was ball out and his coaches (up to Gase) didn't use him properly. Even Gase wanted him to be a staute and not run the ball. Tua had the same issue, but McDaniel has seemed to unlock his abilities, but again his injury is now the crux of the issue, and Miami now (just like when Tanny shredded his knee and didn't have surgery only to reinjure it) seems to be going with the idea "we will run it back w a qb with an injury history".

Even Marino's success was predicated on a good O line, and he sufferred when Stephenson got injured until webb and sims were drafted and then he thrived until his legs gave out on him.

Tua sufferred like Tannyhill from coaches that did not understand how to use him, and when they finally found the right mix, it was too late bc the injury bug hit. Hopefully the clock isn't striking midnight with Tua, but not preparing for the contingency leads to another Jay Cutler scenario.

Miami is an up & coming team - Tua’s frequent concussions are a significant problem, IMO.

I saw a sportsedge update that “MIA did not believe his concussions put him at risk for more concussions” or something to that effect.

That would seem to go against the common beliefs of medical science.

Traumatic brain injury puts one at risk for more. Tua’s 1st concussion was brutal, on the body slam, head bounced off the turf. But the 2nd concussion (that we know of) seemed to occur on a somewhat benign hit. And while he didn’t have the same physical reaction (wobbly legs, etc) he did have a near total memory lapse or the play preceding it, and the hit itself, which as I understand it is every bit as bad.

That all said, the Dolphins are smart to have a good and experienced backup. But Tua scares me in RL and FF. Reading about frequent symptoms of people who’ve suffered multiple concussions isn’t pretty. Personality / mood shifts, early onset of dementia - it’s a serious issue, and one that still isn’t taken seriously enough by the NFL or the FF community.

He cannot stay healthy.

Not sure what you are "calling out" but here is my point: Tannyhill got a raw deal here. All that kid did was ball out and his coaches (up to Gase) didn't use him properly. Even Gase wanted him to be a staute and not run the ball. Tua had the same issue, but McDaniel has seemed to unlock his abilities, but again his injury is now the crux of the issue, and Miami now (just like when Tanny shredded his knee and didn't have surgery only to reinjure it) seems to be going with the idea "we will run it back w a qb with an injury history".

Even Marino's success was predicated on a good O line, and he sufferred when Stephenson got injured until webb and sims were drafted and then he thrived until his legs gave out on him.

Tua sufferred like Tannyhill from coaches that did not understand how to use him, and when they finally found the right mix, it was too late bc the injury bug hit. Hopefully the clock isn't striking midnight with Tua, but not preparing for the contingency leads to another Jay Cutler scenario.
Yeah we are on the same page.

Tua at times looked fantastic this season. A few games (Pittsburgh, SF, Chargers) he was really off target.

I like Tua. But I cannot feel great about him yet and also he has clear limitations that concern me long term.

I guess we're going to address the Defense.
Boyer is gone, I would expect some changes in personnel
Not sure exactly who and what contracts are being restructured
Ogbah is on my short list. Doubt Howard will do a lot to help, he's usually complaining and wanting a pay raise, don't get me wrong, I like X.

I guess we're going to address the Defense.
Boyer is gone, I would expect some changes in personnel
Not sure exactly who and what contracts are being restructured
Ogbah is on my short list. Doubt Howard will do a lot to help, he's usually complaining and wanting a pay raise, don't get me wrong, I like X.
I think X has been a good soldier since Miami gave him the raise. Played hurt all year.

Oh Boy-er. Good riddance.

Playing DBs in the end zone and behind the 1st down marker on 3rd and long apparently doesn't belong in the NFL.

Special Teams coach Crossman should be next to hit the road. Their ST was horrible all year.

Would love to bring in Fangio.

Mike Zimmer, Ejiro Evero or Jim Leonhard should also be given consideration.

I know the Herbert over Tua debate is always big in here but what we should be lamenting is not finishing the tank and getting Burrow. Kid has moved into my Elite status with Mahomes and Allen. Hurts is making a case to join them but needs to do it again next year and always worry if his style of play can hold up. I’ve got Lawrence 5 and Herbert 6 then the rest.

To bring the Dolphin offense to the next level, we could use a TE in the mold of those in the championship games. Goeddert, Kittle, Kelce, even Hurst. Miami selected Gesicki over Goeddert in the 2018 draft cause he ran faster and jumped higher. Andrews went in the 3rd, Schultz in the 4th. Smythe later in the 4th. Then we got Hunter Long in the 3rd in 2022 and so far just injuries. With limited cap space and draft capital, it may be hard to upgrade the TE position, but we need one in this offense who can block and catch. Smythe is signed for 2023, but not sure if he will be a post June cut.

I know the Herbert over Tua debate is always big in here but what we should be lamenting is not finishing the tank and getting Burrow. Kid has moved into my Elite status with Mahomes and Allen. Hurts is making a case to join them but needs to do it again next year and always worry if his style of play can hold up. I’ve got Lawrence 5 and Herbert 6 then the rest.
Went 3 and 2 over the last 5 that season with a win over Cincinnati.

You can blame that squarely on Flores. may have even cost him his job and credibility by simply NOT tanking when he should have. I understand all the silliness of "playing to win the game" but if the NFL is somehow an extension of "war and battles" a tactical retreat (losing) for a long term advantage (Burrow) seems like a simple extension of that. SO dumb.

Edit to Add: Burrow interned at Goldman Sachs. Kid has a brain between those ears and those comparisons to Manning yesterday makes a whole lot of sense. Still think a healthy Tua beats the bengals in cincy when we played them.

To bring the Dolphin offense to the next level, we could use a TE in the mold of those in the championship games. Goeddert, Kittle, Kelce, even Hurst. Miami selected Gesicki over Goeddert in the 2018 draft cause he ran faster and jumped higher. Andrews went in the 3rd, Schultz in the 4th. Smythe later in the 4th. Then we got Hunter Long in the 3rd in 2022 and so far just injuries. With limited cap space and draft capital, it may be hard to upgrade the TE position, but we need one in this offense who can block and catch. Smythe is signed for 2023, but not sure if he will be a post June cut.

I think if Miami spends any money on a player it is going to be a McDaniels' TE. We shall see.

I would like to see them add an affordable underrated RB like Foreman, Perine, or Pollard (who may come at a discount after the injury), and then draft a RB in this deep class with their 2nd round pick if one remains in play. I do NOT want to be on the wrong end of a high-priced RB's second deal. They almost never work out. Saquon and Jacobs sound sexy, but so did Zeke, Gurley, and Bell when their time to get paid came up. The shelf life for a RB is so short, by the time they get to their second contract they are often on the downside of their careers. With our cap issues, we cannot spend that kind of cash on that position IMO.

I really like Perine's versatility and tough running style and he has not taken a ton of wear and tear. Probably wont break the bank.

That said, I think the formula with RBs is to draft one that can deliver elite results, and win your championship while they are still cheap. Rule didn't apply this year, but it still seems like the logical approach to me.

I like Wilson but he is JAG and Mostert will be 31 in April.

I would like to see them add an affordable underrated RB like Foreman, Perine, or Pollard (who may come at a discount after the injury), and then draft a RB in this deep class with their 2nd round pick if one remains in play. I do NOT want to be on the wrong end of a high-priced RB's second deal. They almost never work out. Saquon and Jacobs sound sexy, but so did Zeke, Gurley, and Bell when their time to get paid came up. The shelf life for a RB is so short, by the time they get to their second contract they are often on the downside of their careers. With our cap issues, we cannot spend that kind of cash on that position IMO.

I really like Perine's versatility and tough running style and he has not taken a ton of wear and tear. Probably wont break the bank.

That said, I think the formula with RBs is to draft one that can deliver elite results, and win your championship while they are still cheap. Rule didn't apply this year, but it still seems like the logical approach to me.

I like Wilson but he is JAG and Mostert will be 31 in April.
Agree with this take 100%. Draft em. Young and cheap. Average shelf life is 3-4 years anyway.

You can blame that squarely on Flores. may have even cost him his job and credibility by simply NOT tanking when he should have. I understand all the silliness of "playing to win the game" but if the NFL is somehow an extension of "war and battles" a tactical retreat (losing) for a long term advantage (Burrow) seems like a simple extension of that. SO dumb.

Edit to Add: Burrow interned at Goldman Sachs. Kid has a brain between those ears and those comparisons to Manning yesterday makes a whole lot of sense. Still think a healthy Tua beats the bengals in cincy when we played them.
You constantly bring Flores up, but as a gentle reminder he's no longer here, he's regarded as one of the best DCs or potential DC candidates on the board this off season, in fact I think I saw where he is being interviewed for some HC positions but I finally understand why you hate him. And apparently many others in here...

You actually write that you wish he would have tanked and went 0-16, or done everything possible to lose enough to secure Burrow, think Cinci went 2-14 and Miami started 0-9, they would have had to go 1-15 but they could have drafted Burrow and watched him get killed behind our OL, I doubt he would be thought of as the No 2 QB in the NFL right now if he were in a Miami uniform, however the Bengals were a terrible franchise and in many ways still are but their fan base is being treated to their best run ever in history IMO.

And the Miami Dolphins would look completely different with Burrow so let's not play this game of same skill players with Tua vs Joe because I don't think Miami would be constructed the same way had they been able to draft Joe Burrow.

Flores is not here any longer but you hold him responsible for this(Tua drafted vs Burrow). I could say the same for Sporano the year we were set to get Andrew Luck. Started 0-7 and then won a few games before he was actually fired by Ross, one of the first things Ross wanted to do as owner.

FTR: I feel a lot of the same things you do but I place my anger on Stephen Ross. The owner is the one who is responsible for this debacle, not Flores but I understand how you feel. It would have been nice if Flores had thought logically and understood what Joe Burrow could do for the team but he comes from the New England Patriots and they didn't believe in any of the things we needed to do for the modern NFL like get one of the 2-3 generational Quarterbacks in the Draft.

We're starting to find out that Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lawrence, Herbert and Hurts are not all created equal. In fact it's somewhat silly to chase these QBs with perceived prospects in the 1st Round, doubtful anyone in the next couple Drafts could equal the impressive starts of these guys in their careers. I want to address that more on one of Swamps' posts.

MoP Correction: It's not just Gator as I roll back thru the last few pages, several of you seem to fault Flores for a lot of this, I understand but you all don't seem to see what he was able to do with the defense, look how bad we were this year.

Last edited:
:cry:

We need to discuss this a little deeper

-We are never going to catch Joe Burrow and Patrick Mahomes.
Don't bother wasting draft capital on Quarterbacks trying to mold them into the next one, you're wasting your time.

-I believe Miami should continue to pour resources into their OL/F6 F7/Secondary, have a stable of good young talented RBs, build the team up as far as you can until you can plug in almost any QB and find success with the talent around them. That seems like what San Fran has done 3rd NFCC in the last 4-5 years, no Lombardi Trophy but no franchise QB either. Sign me up for their woes, they are so close.

-Trying to make Tua into the next Burrow or Mahomes is a waste of time, if he can avoid concussions then great but 12 injuries in the last 5 years college and pro would say otherwise.

I think it's arrogant of Miami to think they we can take out the likes of KC or Cinci after the season they just had, we'll be lucky to make the Playoffs again next season. We did learn Buffalo might not be as good as we thought they were but they also will "Reload" at a couple spots and likely win 11-12-13 games again next year

-I agree with your thoughts about tanking or not getting Joe Burrow, it was a big mistake and if we roll back to when this happened, think most of us openly said it was a mistake to not keep losing once we were 0-7 or 0-9, just silly to try and dig in to win a couple games.

Last edited:
Defense: We're talking basically Ogbah-Sieler-Wilkins w/Chubb and Phillips on the outside. Ingram and Van Ginkel are free agents and likely gone.

-After that most of you want to retool the ILB unit. Roberts is gone and Tindall has to elevate to a starter next year. We drafted him in the 3rd Rd and he needs to contribute. Baker takes a lot of heat and criticism but he was in the top half of all rated ILB, he certainly is not great in pass coverage, when someone is better at run defense inside and clearly is better than Baker, than we can cut him or trade him. A lot of you call for Baker to be gone, not sure what you all see from week to week but he's pretty good near the LOS but he has problems dropping back in coverage.

Duke Riley should be allowed to test the waters. Miami is going to need to replace or find depth at Edge/OLB and also try and find at least 1 starter at ILB. 3-4 spots on the DL are already accounted for and both starting Edge spots are filled.

The Secondary I haven't figured out yet but we're going to need some new blood at Linebacker and we can't just go out and sign anyone we want.
Byron Jones is potential cut n release after June 1st but that doesn't make us better in the secondary.

If my calculations are right, Miami is currently $16M over the cap
If my calculations are right, Miami has as much as $60M+ they can free up by restructuring some if not all the following players and that's not even discussing our friend Byron Jones.
Hill, Chubb, Armstead, Ogbah, Baker, Wilson
You add in the Jones contract and the number could rise North of $70M-$75M so it will be interesting to see what they are able to do and then see how that allows them to become a buyer for certain positions or just simply finding some undervalued guys we can sign on the cheap.

I'm starting to see a path where a lot of our guys are back on Defense and perhaps even Jones is invited to stay with a restructuring.
If someone like a Fangio climbs on board and can get Chubb to the level we thought we were getting when we traded for him, that would change the defense a lot.
Howard-Jones-injury, N Needham perhaps back-injury, Kahou, Brandon Jones back-injury, Holland and a new Safety to take Eric Rowe's spot.
With a strong pass rush, strong IDL with WIlkins and Sieler, it should free up our playmakers and increase interceptions/turnovers by the defense
Get us some short fields and cheap points.

I think Miami will have anywhere from $25-$30M in cap space they can play with when free agency kicks in and I don't see them signing big names, they'll need some of this to extend Wilkins and perhaps some others.

This doesn't belong in the Miami Dolphins thread but we'll use the umbrella of Miami
The Univ of Miami(Top -20) was only laying 3 tonight at FSU(7Ws/14Ls), they were giving away money...Canes lost by a bucket at Duke, at NC State,
86-63 BLOWOUT!
2 Top-50 players including Wong, they are something to watch on the hardwood
Elite-8 last year, likely going back to the tournament and a tough out whoever beats them

More tabloid than real news but I have a couple of quick hits to link for the Dolphins

And then I think the empty back field is a priority, maybe some feel different

Last edited:
rumors more news by Tue
?

Being reported as done deal multiple places
I think I know what he's eluding to
There is some serious talk on the streets of Miami getting involved in the Carr trade
Perhaps just to increase the price for others like the Jets, but there is chatter something big is coming down the pike.

I outlined that Miami can get about $40M-$50M+, heck maybe over $60M+ thru restructuring and other options, that makes them a player for almost anyone.
Don't expect Miami to just roll the same 53 out there next season, they need to reload at a couple spots.

I'm thoroughly excited about Fangio singing on as DC, good mentor for Coach MM, also in case we have to part way in the future, already someone on staff with real coaching experience.
I think McDaniel could have used better minds around him but he was not the 1st name on the hired list and he was scrambling to make things work. He even let the DC stay and return all 11 starters on defense, Coach McDaniel tried to do the right things and he succeeded with the offense when Tua was QB

McDaniel also was set up 3rd and 1 around midfield late in the 4th Q in Orchard Park down just 34-31 with a chance to win the game, that's what I take from this season.
We're closer than we think, further than we'd like to be, ying and yang.

Please share - rumor or not
Can’t. News I heard of from that discord group… let’s say another coach could be coming
I understand what you're saying, there's a domino effect here Miami will be able to get some nice assistants for the DL/LB/DB coaching positions and I would assume Fangio will be able to help pluck 1 or 2 players to bolster the defense that are familiar with his system.

I feel confident that Miami just took a major step in becoming better against the pass. Miami's Defense won't be anywhere near the bottom of the league next year. We have a lot to work with for Fangio including a DL that will have Ogbah coming back and you add him to Wilkins and SIeler, Chubb and Phillips on the outside, Baker is going to be OK inside vs the run, they need another guy or perhaps Fangio can develop Tindall who did nothing his 1st year in the NFL. Jones, Jones and Needham are going to be the keys to the secondary, if they can get those guys back and playing at a high level with Howard, Holland, and the 2 rookie DBs that played hard, Crossin and I can't remember the other kid, starts with a "K"

You mix all that up, restructure so you can bring in a couple more pieces and Miami could become a force quickly if their defense jumps up a couple levels.
Fangio got a 3 year deal with a 4th option, Miami was serious and rolled out the red carpet for him, awesome job to get a brain like his in the building

QB-Tua Tagovailoa: You can hear everyone collectively take a deep breath at once but we really need to discuss this and I'm prepared to lay out a plan that makes sense and hopefully will not ruin the relationship with Tua. 1st of all, you have to know both Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are likely going to get lengthy high dollar per year extensions almost at the stroke of midnight on their 1st day eligible to sign. Tua was taken in the same draft class one spot ahead of Herbert at No 5.

-Tua was practically breaking records at times in a Miami Dolphins uniform, he was being praised by media and NFL pundits all over the country and social media platforms everywhere. How many times did our friend @TripleThreat post up a link with a terrific breakdown of some amazing plays Miami was running with Tua-Tyreek-Waddle, it was the best thing we've seen since the Marks Bros and Dandy Dan. I say all that because many of you would have me believe that Miami can just ask Tua to take the field for $4M next season, that's what he is owed or left from his 4yr/$30M rookie deal. i want to make sure we have all this up for full perspective because sometimes things sound great in a vacuum but let's be honest about how amazing he looked at times this year. Go back to 8-3. You're asking him to play for $4m with no guarantees and he is going to watch both of those QB secure $250M each, that's going to start to enter the equation at some point. And what about Hurts in Philly? The market is going to be sky high,

-My only solution to please as many as possible is that Miami does press the 5th year Option which is about $25M-$30M and I think it's guaranteed. Tua is estimated to have a market value of almost $40M so you also have to show him what a deal would look like in the Spring of '24 if he can survive and play some concussion free football in 2023. The 5th year option disappears and he gets a contract more in line with the other 2 guys I mentioned. And if all that makes you squeamish than you better start thinking trade with somebody and making a run at Carr in Vegas. The Raiders damaged his market by benching him or telling him to stay home the last 2 weeks of the season...with everything Carr did in '21 keeping things together, there was Gruden and the Bama WR that killed someone in a DUI crash, it won't cost what some think to acquire him and he might be more flexible with starting a new contract then some think.

Skylar Thompson appears like a possible back up but I would not bank a lot on him becoming the starter here or being able to replace what Tua has done should he be called upon in.2023. I like Thompson but he isn't ready to start for the Miami Dolphins yet.

Robert Hunt-RG/T
Ranks as one of the better starting Right Guards according to PFF
Mkt Value $8.5M, likely a 4-5 yr deal when he hits free agency
Under contract thru 2023, FA in 2024

Might fetch a 1st Rd pick in a trade, was a fairly high 2nd rd draft pick by the Phins
We are going to watch Mike Gesicki walk and recoup a Comp pick that we can't use until '24
Would like us to figure out what we are doing here, there's value. Hate to lose him, good young OL, athletic for his size, could swing out to RT.

Read earlier today the Dolphins are looking for a radio affiliate in Hawaii. Because Tua. That sort of puts to rest any lingering thoughts I might have had regarding their intentions with him.

Fangio got a 3 year deal with a 4th option, Miami was serious and rolled out the red carpet for him, awesome job to get a brain like his in the building
Miami thinks a deal is done, per Barry. Fangio is saying it's not, per Mike Silver (SF beat)
I'm getting antsy.
He hasn’t signed yet because he’s still laughing at Baker’s tape from last year. He’ll sign as soon as he calms down.

Users who are viewing this thread