What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (3 Viewers)

I don't know what to think. He did look really good (sans fumble, which on its own is just part of football. Because it happened to Z Wilson, it looms larger than it really is.)

The quick reads / quick passes / rollouts / etc - that's his game. Let's see more of that. I'll tune in next week.

Based on last night he earned his right to keep the job for the foreseeable future and likely the season- he at least showed some of the stuff that made JD fall in love with him. I do think part of it was they finally took the shackles off and just let the kid play. No point in even debating Boyle/Semien - whats the point. Give the kid the entire season to see if he can improve - if he stinks so be it but it was nice to at least see a glimpse for once. I think every Jet fan would love to eat crow and see Zach turn into a legit QB.

Next week at Denver is huge - Jets and ZW are notorious for laying an egg after a solid performance. This is a must win to keep the playoff dream alive - lousy team but Denver is always a tough place to play.

So now ESPN is talking Jets in the playoffs again. I want to believe a switch was flipped on Sunday Night for Wilson, but it's hard to get on board after getting beat down so much by this team and this QB.
This week will be telling - Denver is a tough place to play but this is a terrible defense the Jets will be facing. If Wilson backslides, we're looking at the long season we are anticipating, but 2-4, with a close loss against Kansas City (and with some teams seriously underperforming in the AFC) we may be back in business.

God bless Danny dimes. I was down 25 in one league and 16 in my other one.

Benched the Jets d in both leagues and Picked up Seattle. Was a 99% underdog in one league after burrow crapped the bed again. Lolz
Haha I was down 26 with a 1% chance and only Seattle Defense left too! What a game.

At the end of the day, they won. But Denver is really bad. Russ looked totally washed and obviously their D has been abysmal all year

Zach- He was able to move the ball most of the game, which is obviously an improvement over last year. But again....playing against a bad D. Couldn't convert in the RZ, put the ball on the ground multiple times (VERY lucky not to lose one) and then the terrible clock management (partially coaching as well) at the end of the half. The late INT was nearly a killer, but it was kind of a fluke play (combined with a poor throw)

RB- Figured Breece would have a huge day and wasn't disappointed. Kid is an animal. Cook continues to look finished. Carter on every 3rd down just seems silly. He's not much of a threat in the passing game (seems like all he ever does is catch check downs on 3rd and 12 to get us to like 4th and 8) and can he really be THAT good of a blocker at his size? Gonna keep screaming it until it happens....times to give Cook's touches to Izzy. They're saying his GPS #'s in practice look good, but he looks really slow and tentative on the field. Abanikanda is probably foaming at the mouth for an opportunity.

WR/TE- Quiet day for Garrett until pretty late. A couple of nice of decent catches by Lazard. Little bit of a backslide on the TE usage with Ruckert losing some snaps. Nice game for Conklin. CJ just very meh. Would still like to see Gipson get some gadget play touches although he obviously struggled today. Cobb still a pointless waste of a roster spot. No idea why they even signed Hardman.

OL- awful early, pulled it together late, especially in the run game. Tippman looks like a potential star. Kudos to Becton for gritting it out. He looked enthusiastic during the post game, so hopefully he's ok. (although you worry that he's pushing himself too far knowing its a contrat year) Saleh didn't dismiss a potential Achilles injury for AVT. So that could be bad. If he's out, they're gonna have to make a decision on his 5th year after 2 lost seasons. Brutal.

DL- A couple of big plays by Q. Huff's low snap efficiency is translating and he's playing on early downs too. Gonna get paid this spring, hopefully by us. Jermaine continues to be productive. Even Al Woods got a sack. The Lawson re-structure looks really bad now. Should have just let him play out the year (or sit inactive) and cut him. He's the worst guy in the rotation.

LB- not much to say. Williams is an animal. Huge improvement and that contract they signed him to this spring looks like a huge steal. Mosley continues to make plays.

CB- scary near injury for Sauce. Big play on that pass breakup late. Big kudos to Hall despite the penalty on the 2 point conversion. Dude has been in the wilderness the past 18 months after looking like a really solid player in 21. I believe he demanded a trade a while back but hasn't bitched about it. Came in cold today and performed pretty well.

S- really bad performance at the back end. Both Amos and Adams look bad. whitehead hasn't done much since opening night.

ST's- kicking situation continues to look solid. Tough break for Gipson on that drop in the sun. That was a young guy mistake.

Coaching- badly outcoached in the first half. Some nice adjustments made, especially on D. Still dont like the offensive personell decisions (Cook, TE sitaution) and the decision to make them re-kick the punt after Gipson got smoked with a cheap hit was insanely dumb. How does nobody on the staff jump in front of Saleh to stop that braindead decision?

Next week will obviously be tough, especially if AVT is out. I assume Reed will be back but I have a feeling Zach might implode next week. Guess we'll see.

Zach was far from great. He was far from terrible.
He’s improved to the point that he can keep them close against average and bad teams. He can’t really beat good teams though.

At least we’re getting something out of Garrett Wilson and Hall now instead of wasting them.

Next week does seem like a potential disaster but we can enjoy a nice win. They didn’t blow the game like they would have in the past.

We knew that the first six games were going to be tough, even if Rodgers was there, although in hindsight now, losing to that brutal Pats team two weeks ago really stings. Hard to have much hope against the Eagles next week, even at home, so I guess 2-4 wouldn't be the worst thing before the bye with so many key guys ailing.

Looks like we MIGHT have dodged a bullet on AVT. Still waiting for today's MRI but it's not an obvious Achilles tear like it was with Rodgers

Few thoughts

Had to get this win - style points dont matter so take it and run - Denver is a tough place to play no matter how mediocre they are.

Zach - As Doc said - he didnt win or lose this game which is ok - as we've said many times - he doesnt need to be Rodgers, just a Sanchez. This was one of the most accurate I remember seeing him, made plays when he had to and ran the ball well when it was there. Of course you throw in some bonehead decisions, especially the end of the half along with failing in the red zone and lots of improvement needed

Breece - best RB I have seen on the Jets and I am old enough to watch 2 incredible backs in Freeman McNeil and Curtis MArtin - praying her stays healthy as he can be a difference maker for years.

WRs - same old - GW and rest are shaky at best - man I really wish they drafted one of those 1st rd WRs

TEs - ZW likes to throw to the TEs - both performed well but Id like to see Ruckert more

OL - patchwork and played solid. PRaying for AVT to be back but looks like JD hit on Tippman

DL - excellent - great to see Jermaine come into his own - I assume thats their plan with McDonald. Q still a beast and earning that $. Lawson is going to be an anchor on the cap at some point.

LB- Quincy is awesome and a steal - what a great signing.

DBs - considering bench guys played prominent roles - great job

ST - Finally have a set and forget kicker - extend Z. Rookie had a rough fumble but he'll learn

Coaching - I was yelling to kick the FG with 17 seconds left - ZW has not earned the right to be trusted in that situation and he showed why. Thats on coaching and could have lost the game on it. Nice recovery and adjustments in the 2d half. Love to see Hackett get some redemption after that no class hatchet job by Payton who deserves what he gets. I know Hackett is there due to Rodgers but he has shown more to me than MLF last 2 yrs.

Denver was a must win because Eagles are going to be tough - assuming they lose they are 2-4 (should have been 3-3 except for some Patriot voodoo) - schedule loosens up although some teams (Fins, Texans, Falcons) are better than expected. There is a path to 9 wins though and let the chips fall at that point - with the Rodgers disaster thats all we can ask for.

Hope ZW continues to develop - though slower than hoped - at least he may play himself into backup role next year to save some $.

Lost AVT. Hardee out a month. Reed still not back from the concussion (even though he "almost passed protocol" last week) and now Sauce (who we were told had "an illness" is out with a concussion as well)

And we're playing arguably the most talented team in the league. Lovely.

Like I just posted in another thread, we became the team you don't want to play against KC, and cemented that today.

Want a fight in the muck? Hint: most great teams don't. But if you do, call 1-800-NYC-JETS!

Great win. Best win as a Jets fan in a long time. Too bad we don't have Rodgers, or we'd be surefire contenders.

Next year is our year!!

Wilson plays way too scared in every way, but he’s now at least competent enough to game manage and keep the team in the hunt. It’s a shame how he’s wasting Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall who have more talent than the Jets have seen at at skill positions in a long while. Zach is who they have now, and it’s all they’ll have so hopefully he at least keeps it at the competent level.
This defense is just so good even with missing key pieces. At this point we just have to watch the team grow and hope for some meaningful late season games.
Playoffs are officially now a thing for the NYJ.

Missed most of the game today but saw the end.

Obviously a herculean effort by a short handed D. Bryce huff appeared to be an absolute animal. If they're not already talking to his agent, they should be. Pay him. He's elite.

Crazy seeing Rodgers throwing already.....

Apparently they lost tippman "for awhile". Guess he was this weeks victory sacrifice.

Apparently g. Wilson was complaining about the turf after a close call. Grass next season please. 2 teams are splitting it. Suck it up.

Grass next season please. 2 teams are splitting it. Suck it up.

Gotta be grass. It gets so cold there, though, that they'll probably need a version of Green Bay's heated coils underneath the field. Unfortunately, that means you can't really do anything else with said field. So I doubt it will happen.

I doubt few in Jets Nation, myself included, could ever imagine they’d be sitting at 3-3 with this schedule, and after witnessing the first few minutes of week 1. Now the schedule opens up a bit, but gives me pause about getting too excited based on past history.

Rodgers is off crutches is pretty amazing, if they can squeeze into the playoffs, you never know!

Cam Akers came back at five and a half months from his Achilles injury at running back and something tells me (well, I think he said it) that Rodgers would indeed maybe potentially try it out if they were in the playoffs. I know it's far-fetched, but Willis Reed at the Garden? One can dream.

I doubt few in Jets Nation, myself included, could ever imagine they’d be sitting at 3-3 with this schedule, and after witnessing the first few minutes of week 1. Now the schedule opens up a bit, but gives me pause about getting too excited based on past history.
I honestly would have taken 3-3 with Rodgers under center based on that schedule. Of course it wouldn't have been as ugly of a 3-3, but the point is, the Jets are well positioned now to make a playoff run with the schedule lightening up a little (although with such a weakness at QB every game will be a struggle). I give the coaching staff a lot of credit for this one. Despite Zach's timidness the offensive game-plan was effective and the defense was so well prepared to face this Eagle's offense despite being short-handed.

That was one of the more satisfying wins in a while. We will continue to be held back by Wilson, but there's enough talent all around to overcome his shortcomings most weeks.

I honestly would have taken 3-3 with Rodgers under center based on that schedule. Of course it wouldn't have been as ugly of a 3-3, but the point is, the Jets are well positioned now to make a playoff run with the schedule lightening up a little (although with such a weakness at QB every game will be a struggle). I give the coaching staff a lot of credit for this one. Despite Zach's timidness the offensive game-plan was effective and the defense was so well prepared to face this Eagle's offense despite being short-handed.

That was one of the more satisfying wins in a while. We will continue to be held back by Wilson, but there's enough talent all around to overcome his shortcomings most weeks.
One of the biggest gains over the past 3 games is Zach not turning the ball over at all. There are going to be a lot of 3 and outs, but if he can continue to game manage, make a few plays here and there, and let the defense do its thing, there is some hope.

Wilson did take some shots downfield with one great throw to Wilson and he had 0 turnovers. The sacks were brutal and his awareness is getting a touch better, his baby steps continue... he needs to get better though, especially with some D's that might be a bit easier..They really could use another WR, I wonder if they will finally bench Cobb, use more of the UDFA's or hit the WW market for a guy, there might be some sellers out there...

This team was down 4 CB's, signing a guy off the street then off the PS this week who did a really nice job covering AJ Brown 1 on 1, amazing.

Very resilient team and a very likeable one at that, I enjoy rooting for these guys.

JJ and Huff looked awesome out there on the edges.

I wonder if they will finally bench Cobb
This really angers me. The guy is toast. He's actually a negative on the field and doesn't even make an effort to catch some passes. Why is he still playing over Hardman and Gibson?

Cobb and Cook need to be inactive and/or released. They are detriments and every touch that goes to them is better served going to some one else. Lazard isn't much better but would be fine in a better offense.

At the game and the stadium was absolutely rocking. As expected lot of Eagles fans and they were walking around like they got hit with a brick after the game lol.

QB - As we've been saying- to win games Zach doesnt have to be Rodgers but a Sanchez type player. He absolutely plays scared and is not maximizing his weapons but he moves the ball and hasnt done the "dumb play" in a few weeks - you can argue he played better than both Mahomes and Hurts in non-fantasy as we've seen those turnovers are killers. Hes at least putting points on the board although too many FGs but as he gets more comfortable and schedule eases up hopefully he puts more in.

Love that Rodgers is at the games and on the headset - he easily could have felt bad for himself and checked out but I have been really impressed with his dedication to this team. It worth everything they gave up for him

RB - Whats nice about Breece is like the great RVs you can contain him all game but still worry he can explode for a big play - I think scoring the TD was the right thing to do. Let the Def win it. I would have 0 confidence if he kneeled at the 1 yd line that the Jets would run the clock and put it in

WRs - Its Wilson and the JAGS. I know they love Arod and Cobb is his buddy but he has no business being on a team let alone field. The loss of C Davis is hurting more than I thought it would. Hope JD can find a WR at the deadline.

TE - Conklin still solid and its time to get Ruckert on the field more. He can block and has decent hands - play him

DL - the rotation is working - they are fresh the whole game and dominating in the 2d half. Its nice to see JJ come into his own - I know thats the plan for Will McD but its tough to watch a mid 1st rd pick contribute nothing

LB - Quincy continues to play like an All pro - what a signing

DB - game ball to these guys - I thought they could win until I saw Sauce out - to win a game like this without Sauce and Reed is unreal. Kudos to depth

ST - Ive neem saying it for years - you need a solid kicker. Z is legit and he will cost more next year but they absolutely need to lock him up - Punting has been much improved as well

Coaching - good gameplan and adjustments. I know Hackett is a punch line do to Denver but the guy is huge steps better than MLF. The stink of Denver failure will likely keep him from getting another HC gig but im hoping he can develop into one of those failed HC types that are excellent coordinators for years so he can team with Saleh for the long run instead of the rotating OC gate.

Perfect time for a bye and perfect opponent in the Giants coming out - cant take them for granted at all but its a very winnable game followed by another one in SD at home. As Doc said most of us would have been thrilled at 3-3 into the bye with Rodgers! Going into November as a relevant team is unusual and im looking so forward to it!

Lots of speculation that tippman is season ending. Would just be brutal to lose the entire right side of the line in back to back weeks. They absolutely have to sign Collins at this point.

RB - Whats nice about Breece is like the great RVs you can contain him all game but still worry he can explode for a big play - I think scoring the TD was the right thing to do. Let the Def win it. I would have 0 confidence if he kneeled at the 1 yd line that the Jets would run the clock and put it in
Sanchez, calling the game, wouldn’t shut up about how Hall should have went down at the 1 and how poorly the Jets handled it (and blamed coaching). Like you I was happy they didn’t try and get cute and end up not scoring at all there. Take the TD and play defense.

I liked scoring there, it makes it a full td that is needed to win it with the full length of the field to go.. worked out fine… sure you can make them take the two TOs and then kick the FG but then they have a minute to go and if the Jets don’t score a TD then all they need is a FG for the win. Sanchez was trying to be too much Romo and was too late to recognize Hurts was having a very rough day

What I don’t get is why The Eagles didn’t just run it on 3rd and 7 and make Zach beat them with a minute to go and no timeouts there D was playing awesome… I thought it was a bit too cute… but we’ll take it!

At first glance, I thought he should have gone down. Tough to mentally do it when you haven't been able to get into the end zone all day.

At the end of the day, the Eagles let him score. What happens if he goes down at the 1? Do they use a time out and then let him score on 2nd down? who the heck knows. If that's the case, I'm not sure its worth the "risk" just to make them use one TO. At that point, its like 1:30 left and they still have one TO.

Obviously if the Jets try to get super cute and dont score on 2nd down, the Eagles are going to shift strategy and try to stop you. Then its far from a sure thing.

I dont hate scoring there, but I get both sides.

Sanchez, calling the game, wouldn’t shut up about how Hall should have went down at the 1 and how poorly the Jets handled it (and blamed coaching). Like you I was happy they didn’t try and get cute and end up not scoring at all there. Take the TD and play defense.
Just like the coaches shouldnt have put ZW in that position at the end of the half - they were smart in taking the points and not messing with trying to milk the clock and pulling another Jet folly and not being able to score from the 1 yd line. If its only a FG vs a TD maybe Philly plays it different and works their way down the field. The D was on fire - I had more confidence in them winning it vs Jets O at the 1 at that point lol

One of the biggest gains over the past 3 games is Zach not turning the ball over at all. There are going to be a lot of 3 and outs, but if he can continue to game manage, make a few plays here and there, and let the defense do its thing, there is some hope.
I've been thinking this from the start, since Hard Knocks. The kid doesn't have instinct and leadership, but I've watched every throw and he has far better accuracy and touch than over half the starting QBs in the league. The sit-down play and check down on 4th play were clear signs that he lacks situational awareness, but that same caution (what y'all call "scared") is what has kept the turnovers low. When drunk Joe (my apologies, Jets fans) and the rest of the media clowns piled on Zach and the coaches for supporting him, I thought that really showed how short-sighted and reactionary they are. I understand the expectations were the moon, but show some resolve. Personally, I'm the kind of guy who likes to gut it out to the end and know, that in some situations, isn't always a good thing, but I wouldn't want any of this extreme judgement/defeatism type mentality from any of my co-workers when things weren't working well. You build instinct/decision-making and leadership through adversity and being resilient through it. I'm really pulling for good things to happen for Zach and the Jets, just don't put the entire game on his shoulders.

IMO, the thing that has taken zach from "by far the worst qb in the league" to "serviceable at times" this year is his ability to hit the easy stuff.

The past 2 years, he would constantly throw screen passes in the dirt, miss WIDE open guys on short crosses, etc. If you can't even complete your check downs, you're dead

Hes doing that much better this year, so they're usually able to at least move the ball. But when the field gets compressed in the RZ and the windows are less obvious, his lack of quick processing ability shines through just like always

IMO, the thing that has taken zach from "by far the worst qb in the league" to "serviceable at times" this year is his ability to hit the easy stuff.

The past 2 years, he would constantly throw screen passes in the dirt, miss WIDE open guys on short crosses, etc. If you can't even complete your check downs, you're dead

Hes doing that much better this year, so they're usually able to at least move the ball. But when the field gets compressed in the RZ and the windows are less obvious, his lack of quick processing ability shines through just like always
I have seen growth since week 1 as well.. he is learning on the job, seems like he is a true Rookie now just learning this league and how to be a Pro. That shuffle pass to Breece was a great example. He is tough as nails too, he laid out on that one run and got hammered 5 times. Gotta give the guy some credit, the abuse from the fans and media inclduing Joe Willie that he has taken has been pretty unreal and he keeps plugging away. He is also taking full ownership of his mistakes and putting the team first in all the interviews I have seen. There has been a lot of growth, even if it's not on the timeline we were hoping for. Still don't think he has a future long term here, but hey you never know.

The most interesting thing about Zach's turnaround isn't what taken place on the field. Yes, he's getting coached up better than he has at any point in his career and they're moving away from the Rodgers offense to a more 'Zach friendly' version, but the way the team has rallied around him is almost startling.

Last year this time there was damn near a mutiny and players were very publicly voicing their disapproval of Zach's play and the way he was handling everything. I have yet to anything but pure support for him.....from players on both sides of the ball. I can only assume that whatever work he's done in that locker room for those guys to have his back is nothing short of miraculous. That whole locker room was done with him and now they're behind him 1000% (Garrett Wilson in particular). Kudos to him for rehabbing his image with pretty much the exact same group of players that were ready to throw him overboard a year ago..

but the way the team has rallied around him is almost startling.
I actually give Rodgers the credit on this as well. His belief that Zach was ready probably holds sway among the younger guys and Rodgers preached it non-stop. Of course if Zach played every game like he did against the Cowboys, that goodwill goes away quick, but after that game he stood up turned things around enough to win 2/3 games with the only loss his best game, against KC.

Too good not to share:

Zach Wilson since seeing Donna Kelce at his game:
- outplays Patrick Mahomes
- beats Denver on the road
- outplays Hurts and beats the undefeated Eagles

Users who are viewing this thread