What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (4 Viewers)

Well there goes Elijah - not a huge fan of this one
I hate this one. One of the appealing things about this team was it’s young talent and now we’re singing guys like Lazard and talking about Hopkins and OBJ. Going “all in” with Rodgers is fine - but why does the rest of the roster have to age. The guys they have actually made even Zach Wilson look good at times.

A+ is the grade I see everywhere for the Jets off season
Manage to move Moore and sit with 13, 42 and 43 heading into the Draft
If the Jets and Packers ever finish this trade...
Do you all know how average Lazard is?
Did I hear someone say Hopkins?
That would be bad for the AFC East

Naturally, the widespread speculation is the Packers have agreed to accept two second round picks this year (and maybe something in the 2024 draft) rather than holding out for #13. No idea if that is the case and it actually seems odd the Packers would prefer the #43 pick over Moore, but of course anything either team does these days must be tied to Aaron Rodgers or so it seems.

Pretty disappointed in the Elijah Moore trade. He could’ve been unlocked with Rodgers there. I’m guessing they will try and sign OBJ at some point now. We still have Breece and Wilson, but to me , Moore was a guy I thought could’ve been part of an up and coming trio on offense.

Wilson, Davis, Moore, Berrios, Mims, rookie
v.
Wilson, Lazard, OBJ(?), Hardman, rookie

For me there’s little to no upgrade at the position but taking on age and cap space.
I hope JD isn’t throwing away all he’s built for the sake of saving jobs in Year 3 for the GM/HC combo.

v.

For me there’s little to no upgrade at the position but taking on age and cap space.
I hope JD isn’t throwing away all he’s built for the sake of saving jobs in Year 3 for the GM/HC combo.
As a Nets fan I witnessed 1st hand an up and coming young team sell their soul and roster for a "superstar" - the rubble left after it fails is brutal. JD needs to avoid that type of disaster

v.

As a Nets fan I witnessed 1st hand an up and coming young team sell their soul and roster for a "superstar" - the rubble left after it fails is brutal. JD needs to avoid that type of disaster
Great analogy. Obviously I’m on board with Rodgers and hope he leads us to at least an AFC Championship game - but part of what made the team so attractive for a new QB was all the young talent in the passing game.
We can’t dismiss the possibility of Rodgers being a disaster- this is the Jets - and now if it is, at least it would have been easy to move on with a young QB. Now they’ll be stuck with older players on bad contracts.

Didn’t Favre retire then un-retire, showed up to camp and the Packers got a 3rd rounder to ship him to the Jets?

I don’t understand why the Packers think they have any leverage. They should be thrilled to get one of the Jests 2nd round pucks this and a conditional 2nd in a future draft depending on whether he’s one and done or keeps playing.

Didn’t Favre retire then un-retire, showed up to camp and the Packers got a 3rd rounder to ship him to the Jets?

I don’t understand why the Packers think they have any leverage. They should be thrilled to get one of the Jests 2nd round pucks this and a conditional 2nd in a future draft depending on whether he’s one and done or keeps playing.
correct - Rodgers could easily do the same. If this lasts past the draft then Ill start getting worried.

correct - Rodgers could easily do the same. If this lasts past the draft then Ill start getting worried.
The Packers may be waiting to see what their needs are post-draft before agreeing to terms. For instance, if Corey Davis is tentatively in the deal and they draft Jordan Addison, they probably wouldn't want to take on Davis' contract.

The Packers may be waiting to see what their needs are post-draft before agreeing to terms. For instance, if Corey Davis is tentatively in the deal and they draft Jordan Addison, they probably wouldn't want to take on Davis' contract.
But then they wouldn't be able to get any 2023 picks in the deal.

By waiting until the Jets get Rodgers for any of their picks, those picks are likely to be later in each round.

But then they wouldn't be able to get any 2023 picks in the deal.

By waiting until the Jets get Rodgers for any of their picks, those picks are likely to be later in each round.
Fair point - maybe it happens during the draft then. Who knows - it's a bit ridiculous regardless.

ARodgers for 2 years or LJackson for 5 years + have to give up picks. If the deal could get done today, which option would you choose?

ARodgers for 2 years or LJackson for 5 years + have to give up picks. If the deal could get done today, which option would you choose?
very tough to say without knowing full contract for Lamar and compensation for both- all things being equal Id rather have a much younger former MVP but its not that easy

Contract - Rodgers actually has a very friendly contract the next 2 yrs. Lamar would be way worse and close to guaranteed which would be a disaster if he gets injured or fades like most running QB

Comp - Rodgers will likely be a 2d and a mid rd pick with possible escalators - Lamar is going to be 2 1st rders - doubtful Ravens bend on that.

I suppose if GB was really pushing for 1st rders the easy answer is Lamar - problem is they are way too far down the road with Rodgers. Unless GB does something truly stupid I believe Rodgers will be a Jet by end of 2023 draft

Not sure how reliable Charles Robinson is but if this is true then the deal is close - glad JD is holding out for some protection - I think that the deal is pricey especially if the 2024 becomes a 1st rder and he retires. I figure JD wants at least a 3rd back in 2025 if its a one and done - concerning thing is if he's really holding out for that then that means Rodgers truly is not in for more than 1 yr and we will be doing this dance again next year.

A deal between the #Packers and #Jets to swap Aaron Rodgers for two high draft picks is taking shape. But one lingering hangup is whether the Packers will agree to some draft “give back” protection if Rodgers doesn’t play in the 2024 season. Details:

Jets offering 2023 2nd round pick + 2024 2nd round pick that can become a 1st with “achievable” performance qualifiers. Hold up is over Jets wanting 2025 picks if Rodgers does not play beyond 2023.

Lamar in a walk for me.
JD has very close ties to the front office - I believe he either wont be the one who stabs them (and rest of the league) in the back with a fully guaranteed contract or they have told him off the record that theyll match anything so dont waste your time.

Regardless it looks like its not even a remote option - now if Rodgers is truly a one and done - and Lam plays the year on the tag it could be revisited next offseason but I doubt it based on the JD/Ravens relationship

Lamar in a walk for me.
JD has very close ties to the front office - I believe he either wont be the one who stabs them (and rest of the league) in the back with a fully guaranteed contract or they have told him off the record that theyll match anything so dont waste your time.

Regardless it looks like its not even a remote option - now if Rodgers is truly a one and done - and Lam plays the year on the tag it could be revisited next offseason but I doubt it based on the JD/Ravens relationship
Yeah, I agree Lamar isn't happening. Just answering if there was a choice between Lamar and Rodgers, I'd take Lamar in a heartbeat.

I think we can temper the leverage talk a bit now after Gutekunst came out and basically told you they don't think they will get a 1st for him:

This coupled with Joe Douglas saying he isn't in a rush tells me that this isn't as contentious as many are making it out to be. Sure leverage is a factor in every negotiation, but anyone thinking 13 was in play can pretty much forget that now. The differences are around salary and timing mostly IMO since it will actually cost GB more to trade him prior to 6/1 but if they wait they don't get any picks this year. The dance around picks this year, protection from him retiring next year and the amount of money each team is on the hook for will get resolved and we'll look back at "Two firsts and Sauce" and have a good laugh.

I think we can temper the leverage talk a bit now after Gutekunst came out and basically told you they don't think they will get a 1st for him:

This coupled with Joe Douglas saying he isn't in a rush tells me that this isn't as contentious as many are making it out to be. Sure leverage is a factor in every negotiation, but anyone thinking 13 was in play can pretty much forget that now. The differences are around salary and timing mostly IMO since it will actually cost GB more to trade him prior to 6/1 but if they wait they don't get any picks this year. The dance around picks this year, protection from him retiring next year and the amount of money each team is on the hook for will get resolved and we'll look back at "Two firsts and Sauce" and have a good laugh.
The whole argument about who had more leverage never made sense to me. There were never any indications that this negotiation was contentious. Both teams have the same goal. Both are smart enough to work it out. Most of it was impatience by the media and by fans.

The whole argument about who had more leverage never made sense to me. There were never any indications that this negotiation was contentious. Both teams have the same goal. Both are smart enough to work it out. Most of it was impatience by the media and by fans.
Seems like it's basically a big game of "chicken" at this point to see who relents first.

With the Sac Kings making the playoffs the Jets have the longest drought in all of sports.....hopefully this is the year as we will be hearing this nonsense all season.

Supposedly the 49ers are nudging their way into the picture for Rodgers. I mean the source is kinda garbage (Carton) but does this get the Jets off their demand for pick protection?

-QG

Supposedly the 49ers are nudging their way into the picture for Rodgers. I mean the source is kinda garbage (Carton) but does this get the Jets off their demand for pick protection?

-QG
SF has no picks. Think the Jets can compete with that. Plus this smells like BS. Why would SF just be moving in four weeks after the start of free agency?

-QG
Carton is far from a source. That scumbag openly admits that he lies and changes his opinions based on the day and the show he's on to draw ratings. How anyone could take him seriously is beyond me. Guy acts like he's reformed after his massive undoing a few years back, yet nothing's changed - he's still a liar, maybe just not gambling anymore.

That scumbag
I can not believe WFAN hired this guy back - you have to figure a large part of the people he ripped off were listeners. It’s gross he’s back on the air - I don’t listen to sports talk radio, generally, anymore but there’s no chance I’d listen to that loser. It’s not like he even knew sports all that well back when he was originally on - and I never really was a fan of his schtick.

That scumbag
I can not believe WFAN hired this guy back - you have to figure a large part of the people he ripped off were listeners. It’s gross he’s back on the air - I don’t listen to sports talk radio, generally, anymore but there’s no chance I’d listen to that loser. It’s not like he even knew sports all that well back when he was originally on - and I never really was a fan of his schtick.
They knew they had nothing to replace Francesca with. Frankly, Mickey Mouse ESPN radio probably would have grabbed him if not. For whatever dumb reason, the guy gets stupidly good ratings. I don't find him funny or the slightest bit knowledgeable and hardly listen at this point.

Dont want to make this thread a WFAN/Carton pile on but its April and slow

First of all Carton is not a source in any way - he literally admits to making things up and not caring. He said OBJ is in the bag for the Jets weeks ago and other ridiculous "insider" tidbits that never were close. And the 49ers makes no sense from there QB room to competing in NFC to no draft capital.

As for his show and WFAN - in risk of sounding like an old fogie - I really miss the days of Joe/Evan in the am followed by Mike/Dog and even Mike. Yes there were egos flying around but it was great sports talk. I cant make it through an entire segment of Carton/Roberts and I was a huge Evan fan (esp as a Nets fan) - its brutal. The only WFAN show thats remotely sports is the 10am with Tiki/Tierney - and they are shaky. Not that ESPN is much better but at least they try to focus on sports and not act like a complete Stern wannabe.

I used to listen all day to WFAN - now mostly podcasts. Really bums me out sometimes.

It looks like the Rodgers deal is headed for a draft day showdown - the absolute unique strangeness to this situation is unprecedented. The report that JD basically told a live audience that Rodgers is coming here along with all the other tea leaves I believe a deal is done and they are just waiting on the draft for a few things -

1. possible pick swap in1st round if GB likes a player instead of other comp

2. Once draft starts teams can trade picks a further year out.

3. depending on the board deciding which 2d rder to deal.

Bottom line is Saleh is best friends with the GB HC. Both franchises seem very friendly with joint practices last yr.

I think this is a done deal and will be announced no later than night 2......if it goes past that I'll change my mind and begin to be concerned.

It looks like the Rodgers deal is headed for a draft day showdown - the absolute unique strangeness to this situation is unprecedented. The report that JD basically told a live audience that Rodgers is coming here along with all the other tea leaves I believe a deal is done and they are just waiting on the draft for a few things -

1. possible pick swap in1st round if GB likes a player instead of other comp

2. Once draft starts teams can trade picks a further year out.

3. depending on the board deciding which 2d rder to deal.

Bottom line is Saleh is best friends with the GB HC. Both franchises seem very friendly with joint practices last yr.

I think this is a done deal and will be announced no later than night 2......if it goes past that I'll change my mind and begin to be concerned.
I agree with all points in this post.

I think both teams are incentivized to wait until the draft:
  • to demonstrate they aren't caving to the other side
  • to limit media focus and criticism (particularly for the Packers side) - there will be plenty else to talk about during the draft, not so much now
  • to allow for optimal flexibly in creating a win-win deal (particularly for the Jets side)
Truth is, Rodgers will not be dealt to a team he doesn't want to play for, and there is no way the Packers will pay him his contract, and its very unlikely the Packers will want Rodgers to show up to training camp. So unless Rodgers has a change of heart, he will be with the Jets this season.

1 week to go - Im still confident deal is announced by the time Jets pick in rd 2. Any predictions as to the deal? I still say a possible rd 1 swap, 2d rder this year and a 3rd next yr with escalators up to a 1st in certain situations - so far Joe D has exceeded any expectations I have had as to trades so am quietly confident.

If it really wasnt a done deal I cant imagine a guy like Rodgers just sitting there quietly and not putting any pressure or comments out there.

I literally have no idea what to think at this point. And honestly......I've kinda stopped caring. The media tried soooooo hard to keeping drumming up interest and discussion with cryptic/vague tweets ("Sources say the deal COULD be done by draft day") but there's just nothing else to talk about.

Kudos to Joe for sticking to his guns when his job is on the line. I'm still confident GB will cave first and the Jets will be picking at 13.

I've stopped caring. Another year of Zach brings us closer to Caleb Williams, all things considered.

Nothing to do but wait. We have no control over this situation.

Seems like Woody got heavily involved as GM again and is in over his head. That's the Jets. It all goes back to the owners.

We have a quarterback.

Compensation ended up being a LITTLE more than I expected. The trade down from 13 to 15 doesn't bother me too much. Hopefully they can still land an OT.

Giving up the 2nd rounder was not shocking. And with them re-signing McGovern this morning, that pick becomes a LITTLE less important (as a lot of people were projecting them to take a center).

Dont really care about giving up a 6 and getting back a 5. That stuff really doesn't matter to me. Those picks are 100% crap shoots and nobody knows if those players will be any good. If they knew those guys would be good, they wouldn't last till the 5th and 5th round.

The part I dont love is the 2024 conditional pick. I'm fine (not happy, but fine) with giving up a 1 with conditions. I just dont love that the conditions are not tied to Rodgers agreeing to play in 2024. If its one and done and he retires (unless they win the whole thing) that will sting.

Awesome day for the Jets....but agree price was high if hes a one and done. 65% of plays just protects vs injury not retirement.

Im hoping he enjoys his time and stays a few yrs but the Jets are now relevant and a contender. Worth a 1st if they are in playoffs.

We have a quarterback.

Compensation ended up being a LITTLE more than I expected. The trade down from 13 to 15 doesn't bother me too much. Hopefully they can still land an OT.

Giving up the 2nd rounder was not shocking. And with them re-signing McGovern this morning, that pick becomes a LITTLE less important (as a lot of people were projecting them to take a center).

Dont really care about giving up a 6 and getting back a 5. That stuff really doesn't matter to me. Those picks are 100% crap shoots and nobody knows if those players will be any good. If they knew those guys would be good, they wouldn't last till the 5th and 5th round.

The part I dont love is the 2024 conditional pick. I'm fine (not happy, but fine) with giving up a 1 with conditions. I just dont love that the conditions are not tied to Rodgers agreeing to play in 2024. If its one and done and he retires (unless they win the whole thing) that will sting.
The only issue to me is the conditional bump being tied to his playing time and not playoff status, but oh well. It’s really not a huge price especially if it works.

Reactions: LBH
We have a quarterback.

The only issue to me is the conditional bump being tied to his playing time and not playoff status, but oh well. It’s really not a huge price especially if it works.
I think we are so used to JD fleecing in deals - just wasnt going to happen with a commodity like Rodgers. I really hope he committed to at least 2 season - thats a ton of capital for a one and done...but as you said - whatever. Ill give it up for a fun season and possibly a super bowl run after a decade of misery!

Users who are viewing this thread