What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NY Giants - (Schoen & Daboll episode 2 – Danny turns Dimes into Dollars) (1 Viewer)

Giants 2023 free agency summary

Resigned:
Daniel Jones – QB
Saquon Barkley – RB
Darius Slayton – WR
Sterling Shepard – WR
Isaiah Hodgins - WR
Jiahd Ward – DE/OLB
Matt Breida - RB
Wyatt Davis – OL
Jarrad Davis – LB
Jamie Gillan – P
Casey Kreiter - LS

New players coming in:
Bobby McCain – S (Commnaders)
Amani Oruwariye – CB (Lions)
Tommy Sweeney – TE (Bills)
Jamison Crowder – WR (Bills)
Leonard Johnson – CB (UDFA)
Parris Campbell – WR (Colts)
Jeff Smith – WR (Jets)
Darren Waller – TE (trade Raiders)
Bobby Okereke – ILB (Colts)
Rakeem Nunez-Roches – DT (Bucs)

Loses:
Henry Mondeaux – DL (Jags)
Jon Feliciano – OL (49ers)
Julian Love – DB (Seahawks)
Nick Gates – OL (Commanders)

Really boring off-season so far. Was hoping to make a splash at WR position. Resigning Shep, Slayton, Hodgins is not the answer. Oh, bringing in Paris Campbell, Crowder, and Smith is ridiculous as well. None of those dudes are ever going to be a legit #1. Really need to trade for Hopkins. He still has couple of solid seasons left in him. He was catching everything from 3rd and 4th string QBs at the end of last season in Arizona.

Really boring off-season so far. Was hoping to make a splash at WR position. Resigning Shep, Slayton, Hodgins is not the answer. Oh, bringing in Paris Campbell, Crowder, and Smith is ridiculous as well. None of those dudes are ever going to be a legit #1. Really need to trade for Hopkins. He still has couple of solid seasons left in him. He was catching everything from 3rd and 4th string QBs at the end of last season in Arizona.
lot of money for him + whatever draft capital. kind of telling that he hasn't been traded yet. cardinals either asking too much or something else is there that teams know about that we don't.

i'm in the camp that hopkins isn't putting us over the top of the eagles and cowboys.

I'm in the camp that Hopkins would help in the fact he's durable and has an immense catch radius, but he wouldn't work well with Jones; Daniel Jones needs separators/speed guys because he can't throw into tight windows aka "throw people open" due to lack of touch/anticipation. Nuk's declining speed would eventually make him a secondary piece for Jones.

"PHOENIX — It’s a business decision in a business situation. Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll deserve an awful lot of credit for operating as such.

There was a contract offer on the table with a Giants letterhead for Saquon Barkley to sign during the bye week that would have paid him $12.5 million annually. There was another, for a smidge more, pushed across after the season ended.

Barkley turned down both. And now, the table is bare.

Good......"

"PHOENIX — It’s a business decision in a business situation. Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll deserve an awful lot of credit for operating as such.

There was a contract offer on the table with a Giants letterhead for Saquon Barkley to sign during the bye week that would have paid him $12.5 million annually. There was another, for a smidge more, pushed across after the season ended.

Good......"
I'm not sure not paying your best asset and overpaying a mediocre one is something to give a GM credit for, but hey Schoen operates differently.

Good......"
I'm not sure not paying your best asset and overpaying a mediocre one is something to give a GM credit for, but hey Schoen operates differently.
While I agree that Barkley is our best offensive player and I am always in favor of the players getting as much money as they can. I’m not so sure I can fault the Giants here.
They made him a long term offer of 12.5M per season, that would have been tied for the 5th highest paid RB. 12.5M is also higher than the franchise tag number of 10M.
Also I believe that the best contract any RB got in this free agent period is Miles Sanders who got 4 years 25M from the Panthers. That’s just over 6M per year.
Looks like Saquon’s agent messed up!

Darren Waller is a #1 when healthy ... this is a huge upside move

I'm in the camp that Hopkins would help in the fact he's durable and has an immense catch radius, but he wouldn't work well with Jones; Daniel Jones needs separators/speed guys because he can't throw into tight windows aka "throw people open" due to lack of touch/anticipation. Nuk's declining speed would eventually make him a secondary piece for Jones.
Serious question ... Who are the Seperators/Speed guys that Daniel Jones has been throwing to?
Not trying to be controversial but this goes against everything that I have seen and heard regarding the Giants WRs.

Patricia Traina did a nice interviewe with Willie Anderson who has been working with Neal.
Sound s like the biggest thing to take into account is the fact that Neal played LT his entire Bama career so that is a huge adjustment that has been kind of minimized.
Me personally ... I would never draft a LT in the 1st rd to play RT or vice versa unless that they had dominant experience on both sides. I'd rather see Neal convert to LG and play to the side that he is most comfortable. Could you imagine how strong Neal and Thomas would be side by side

Giants RT Evan Neal Looks to Take Big Step in Second Season​

Last edited:
Patricia Traina did a nice interviewe with Willie Anderson who has been working with Neal.
Sound s like the biggest thing to take into account is the fact that Neal played LT his entire Bama career so that is a huge adjustment that has been kind of minimized.
Me personally ... I would never draft a LT in the 1st rd to play RT or vice versa unless that they had dominant experience on both sides. I'd rather see Neal convert to LG and play to the side that he is most comfortable. Could you imagine how strong Neal and Thomas would be side by side

Neal did play RT for Alabama; he just didn’t do it his last year there.
I hope that his poor performance last season was because of changing sides.

Really? Willie made it sound like he has been playing LT for the last 4 seasons
Now I'm more worried

Now I'm more worried
https://rolltide.com/sports/football/roster/evan-neal/7283

Played guard as a freshman, RT as a sophomore and LT as a junior.

Now I'm more worried
he played LG in 2019, RT in 2020, and LT in 2021. not worried.

Anonymous GM says Giants screwed up signing Daniel Jones.
Who was going to pay him?
This is some serious garbage reporting .. First off there is not a mention of a GM anywhere in that article so not sure where that came from
A) What is an NFL exec ? There are a whole lot of different executive positions and departments in an NFL organization in charge of lots of things unrelated to football (Cleaning, Cooking, Security, Parking, Facilities etc .. ) At least Tell us what this NFL exec or execs are responsible for
B) Any NFL Exec that has Football Operations / Front Office responsibilities that doesnt have the balls to to stand behind their comments doesnt have an ounce of credibilty

Last edited:
5 Rd Mock PFN - This would be Nice
  1. NYG 25. Brian Branch S Alabama
  2. NYG 57. Emmanuel ForbesCB Mississippi State
  3. NYG 89. Luke Wypler OC Ohio State
  4. NYG 128. Michael Wilson WR Stanford
  5. NYG 160. Roschon Johnson RB Texas
  6. NYG 172. Olusegun Oluwatimi OC Michigan

Former Steelers Center J.C. Hassenauer Signing with the Giants

5 Rd Mock PFN - This would be Nice
  1. NYG 25. Brian Branch S Alabama
  2. NYG 57. Emmanuel ForbesCB Mississippi State
  3. NYG 89. Luke Wypler OC Ohio State
  4. NYG 128. Michael Wilson WR Stanford
  5. NYG 160. Roschon Johnson RB Texas
  6. NYG 172. Olusegun Oluwatimi OC Michigan
would like a pass rusher mixed in there.

The Giants messed up by not signing DJ for his final year. I have been a supporter of his well before last year and I don't think he is elite. My take was he had no offensive line and perhaps the worst receivers in football. He also had different/poor coaching every year. Last year we saw some very good things out of DJ and if he is around a top 10 guy (sounds about right in that 8-12 spot), they did the right thing. I would have liked a few less mil a year, but it is what it is. Barkley they handled perfectly. You franchise him this year and if he plays well again, you franchise him next year and then you cut bait. I really like the Parris Campbell signing as a great chance to take. Pedigree is good, he has speed (Giants need) and he was inexpensive. Crowder is a reasonably solid slot guy.

I won't go into all the moves, but I think this off season has been OK. I do think Hopkins would be a good fit, but the expense is a lot and we aren't one piece away as far as I can tell. If everyone develops we can make a move to push us over the top. I still think we could use more lineman and linebackers

Last edited:
He will sign it, eventually. Players are learning that not signing the tag just means they get a nice summer vacation anymore than reporting to the daily grind on time.
The problem is, if he is not signed by the draft the Giants will have to pick his successor.
What do you do if he is not signed and Bijan Robinson drops to 25 ??? I'd be tempted as hell to take him there.
Robinson is younger and better than Saquan at this point and is going to be a much much cheaper option for the next 5 years

He will sign it, eventually. Players are learning that not signing the tag just means they get a nice summer vacation anymore than reporting to the daily grind on time.
The problem is, if he is not signed by the draft the Giants will have to pick his successor.
What do you do if he is not signed and Bijan Robinson drops to 25 ??? I'd be tempted as hell to take him there.
Robinson is younger and better than Saquan at this point and is going to be a much much cheaper option for the next 5 years
Then a team getting him in a trade would be getting a very good deal b/c everyone knows what the deal is and teams aren't going to offer a really good draft pick package for a guy that everyone knows won't be on the team and also wants a contract.

Then a team getting him in a trade would be getting a very good deal b/c everyone knows what the deal is and teams aren't going to offer a really good draft pick package for a guy that everyone knows won't be on the team and also wants a contract.
Yep ... Barkley's putting them in a bad situation but they have to have a plan B in case he decides to hold out

Big Dex also not showing up to the voluntary camp, due to his contract situation.
https://twitter.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1646295357456801797?s=20
Well it's voluntary so I get that ... once it's not he can be fined. Saquan on the other hand is not under contract until he signs so they have no control over that
I don't see Lawrence playing on that 5th year option. I'm sure he is going to want something similar to what Jeffery Simmons got with Tennessee (4 years 94M). I think Payne down in Washington got something in that range this off season too.

I hope DJ doesnt want to renegotiate his contract now ... the biggest difference between DJ and Hurts is the talent around them

McKinney says his hand is good to go
https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/4/...y-xavier-mckinney-says-his-hand-is-good-to-go

McKinney is in his last year, I wonder if the Giants are going to extend him.
He's a very good safety and you'd want to sign him before he gets out on the open market.

... so probably not.
The Giants and Schoen are going to have to get creative because they have a few young guys who are very good that they are going to have to pay.
Dexter Lawrence - probably 4 years 90-95 million (see Jeffery Simmons contract)
Andrew Thomas - probably the same as Dex (see the Laremy Tunsil contract)

I agree that McKinney is a good player for the Giants and they should be looking to retain him, but he does come after Dex and AT (he should also be much cheaper)

I don't understand why that's so suprising. The word was that barring a setback, he should be ready for Week 1, meaning he'd probably be ok to go sometime during Training Camp.

I don't understand why that's so suprising. The word was that barring a setback, he should be ready for Week 1, meaning he'd probably be ok to go sometime during Training Camp.
I'm a little surprised, I thought he got hurt fairly late in the season. November if I recall correctly.

I'm a little surprised, I thought he got hurt fairly late in the season. November if I recall correctly.
Week 11 vs Det ... Nov 20 so yeah it is a quick recovery even by today's standards on ACL recovery

Anonymous GM says Giants screwed up signing Daniel Jones.
Who was going to pay him?
This is some serious garbage reporting .. First off there is not a mention of a GM anywhere in that article so not sure where that came from
A) What is an NFL exec ? There are a whole lot of different executive positions and departments in an NFL organization in charge of lots of things unrelated to football (Cleaning, Cooking, Security, Parking, Facilities etc .. ) At least Tell us what this NFL exec or execs are responsible for
B) Any NFL Exec that has Football Operations / Front Office responsibilities that doesnt have the balls to to stand behind their comments doesnt have an ounce of credibilty

Stop with the ad hominen attack. Do you disagree that the Giants didn't screw up with the Jones contract? At the very least they could have done a better job structuring the contract so his cap hits weren't: $21M; $45M; $39.5M; $56.5M.

Users who are viewing this thread