What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Offseason Catchall (sooo close to 2023 kickoff!) (1 Viewer)

Not unclear at all... Branch has been named the starting slot corner / nickel back. He'll be playing close to the line of scrimmage covering the slot. The Lions moved prized free agent signing C.J. Gardner-Johnson to safety to make room for Branch in the starting lineup. All reports are he was that impressive in camp this preseason. Forced his way into the starting lineup.

Norton just predicted he'd be Rookie Defensive Player of the Year and, gulp, the top scoring DB this year. Not sure I'm with the latter part... but can see the former happening.

Headed for starting role
August 25, 2023
Branch is expected to be Detroit's starter at nickel cornerback, Tim Twentyman of the Lions' official site reports.
ANALYSIS
Branch has reportedly been so good that offseason acquisition C.J. Gardner-Johnson was moved to safety to accommodate getting both players on the field together as much as possible. In his role at Alabama last year, Branch racked up 90 tackles, 14 TFLs, three sacks, seven PBUs and two interceptions over 13 games.

If anyone spots an updated projection of every-down LBs this week, please post a link. I’d love to see updated projections of guys like Rozeboom, Cunningham, Dodson, Perryman, etc. - guys who moved up during the preseason and might still be on the wire in some leagues.

Any Lions homers know safety situation for Detroit heading into week 1? I have opportunity to pick up Branch and start him week 1, but his role is still unclear. It’s a risky move but I can carry no bench DBs and might not want to wait to see what this guy does because it could be nice role and big game verse the Chiefs. Anyone with more insight care to give their thoughts on this secondary it would be appreciated. When he does see the field is he going to be utilized at a safety closer to the box or center field? Thanks
If you read the posts above yours, they describe Chinn's role. i think that Branch with do something similar. He's not a boundary CB, he's not a deep safety (but I am sure once in a while he will).

Everything I have seen regarding Branch has been great, but if you carry no bench DBs that means there are plenty of good options.

Any Lions homers know safety situation for Detroit heading into week 1? I have opportunity to pick up Branch and start him week 1, but his role is still unclear. It’s a risky move but I can carry no bench DBs and might not want to wait to see what this guy does because it could be nice role and big game verse the Chiefs. Anyone with more insight care to give their thoughts on this secondary it would be appreciated. When he does see the field is he going to be utilized at a safety closer to the box or center field? Thanks
If you read the posts above yours, they describe Chinn's role. i think that Branch with do something similar. He's not a boundary CB, he's not a deep safety (but I am sure once in a while he will).

Everything I have seen regarding Branch has been great, but if you carry no bench DBs that means there are plenty of good options.
I don’t carry more than the required 4 starters prior to byes because there are so many but most teams do carry 5-6. He’s the best option out there in wire right now IMO

Looks like Nick Bosa is in danger of missing week 1. Not as much press as the JT situation but this is a big blow if it continues on. Might be an opportunity for Drake Jackson to step up.

KC Homers ( or others with the low down)… who is it going to be on the field next to Bolton - Gay or Tranquil? I guess we will find out soon enough but have a Teamquil share and wondering if I should drop of hold and wait and see…

Looks like Nick Bosa is in danger of missing week 1. Not as much press as the JT situation but this is a big blow if it continues on. Might be an opportunity for Drake Jackson to step up.
Speak of the devil and he signs a huge contract

KC Homers ( or others with the low down)… who is it going to be on the field next to Bolton - Gay or Tranquil? I guess we will find out soon enough but have a Teamquil share and wondering if I should drop of hold and wait and see…
Not a KC homer, but from what I can tell Gay will be the guy out there with Bolton most of the time

I've seen some speculation that Tranquill could rotate in quite a bit, especially on passing downs, but yeah we'll see what happens tonight -- I haven't quite been able to drop him, even if I should have

Last edited:
If anyone spots an updated projection of every-down LBs this week, please post a link. I’d love to see updated projections of guys like Rozeboom, Cunningham, Dodson, Perryman, etc. - guys who moved up during the preseason and might still be on the wire in some leagues.

Updated yesterday with:

Update 9/6/2023: Were given a gift, as Sean McDermott named Terrel Bernard the MIKE which means he should have a three-down role - at least for Week 1. This puts the kibash on Tyrel Dodson's IDP value for now. Keep in mind, Christian Kirksey is also looming. Matt Milano looks to be wearing the dot on defense.

Week 1 Green Dot: Matt Milano

Not a KC homer, but from what I can tell Gay will be the guy out there with Bolton most of the time

I've seen some speculation that Tranquill could rotate in quite a bit, especially on passing downs, but yeah we'll see what happens tonight -- I haven't quite been able to drop him, even if I should have
Yeah while Bolton is most certainly the KC LB to have, Gay will probably be the "starter" that gets the second-most snaps... but I would bet Tranquill carves out a significant role and could even overtake Gay if the Bolton/Tranquill package ends up being productive.

Updated yesterday with:

Update 9/6/2023: Were given a gift, as Sean McDermott named Terrel Bernard the MIKE which means he should have a three-down role - at least for Week 1. This puts the kibash on Tyrel Dodson's IDP value for now. Keep in mind, Christian Kirksey is also looming. Matt Milano looks to be wearing the dot on defense.

Man, what a rollercoaster. Bernard was on pretty much all of my rosters, now after cuts and late adds, I have 1 share remaining, plus 2 Dodson shares. Dang.

Updated yesterday with:

Man, what a rollercoaster. Bernard was on pretty much all of my rosters, now after cuts and late adds, I have 1 share remaining, plus 2 Dodson shares. Dang.
I wouldn't be so sure the ride is over yet. They haven't even played a game. I wouldn't drop anyone yet. I would wait to at least see a game or two to really see what happens when it matters.

Updated yesterday with:

I wouldn't be so sure the ride is over yet. They haven't even played a game. I wouldn't drop anyone yet. I would wait to at least see a game or two to really see what happens when it matters.
I'm dropping Dodson for Bernard - these are always my last LB slot, I may as well get the younger guy if he isn't completely buried.

Updated yesterday with:

I'm dropping Dodson for Bernard - these are always my last LB slot, I may as well get the younger guy if he isn't completely buried.
Yeah, and you know, these vets could be keeping the seat warm.

Not easy for a rookie to grab 3-down LB role for a playoff team

So... what are people doing about rest of season rankings this year? I just opened up the FBG version and Terrel Bernard isn't listed. Nate Landman is 93rd.

I was using FantasyPros last season, but they aren't using True Position and have the EDGE guys way too high (Danielle Hunter #2 LB ROS). Some egregious crap like Asamoah above Patrick Queen ROS too. One of their rankers is Ryan Sitzmann, who's really good, but they only have 2 rankers so the other must be porking it up.

Is there some other source people have found that they trust? At this point, I think FBG has the best of the two I've used in the past.

ETA: Oh, FBG isn't very good either. Gibbens above Milano, Shaq Thompson 48 ROS. Dang.

Last edited:
So... what are people doing about rest of season rankings this year? I just opened up the FBG version and Terrel Bernard isn't listed. Nate Landman is 93rd.

I was using FantasyPros last season, but they aren't using True Position and have the EDGE guys way too high (Danielle Hunter #2 LB ROS). Some egregious crap like Asamoah above Patrick Queen ROS too. One of their rankers is Ryan Sitzmann, who's really good, but they only have 2 rankers so the other must be porking it up.

Is there some other source people have found that they trust? At this point, I think FBG has the best of the two I've used in the past.

ETA: Oh, FBG isn't very good either. Gibbens above Milano, Shaq Thompson 48 ROS. Dang.
Agree on this 100% Tick...

Norton used the rookie CB rule to try to excuse how bad it was last year. Promising that the guy who did the ROS IDP ratings would be better this year as a result. And I suppose they are marginally better (they couldn't be much worse). But to your point, I'd be better off doing a version of my own, as unfortunately, they just aren't reliable.

Last edited:

Agree on this 100% Tick...

Norton used the rookie CB rule to try to excuse how bad it was last year. Promising that the guy who did the ROS IDP ratings would be better this year as a result. And I suppose they are marginally better (they couldn't be much worse). But to your point, I'd be better off doing a version of my own, as unfortunately, they just aren't reliable.
I noticed that as well when I was looking a week or two ago. The rankings seem way off based on what has actually happened through a few weeks of the season. It seems like a real issue as it could be very helpful.

@Joe Bryant

That said... FBG's has done a great job improving their IDP coverage the last 2 years. Bringing Gary Davenport onboard alone, has made a big difference. Maybe it is just me, but the apparent need to call one 'the Guru' and the other 'the Godfather' always strikes me oddly unnecessary (we get it, they are good at IDP info... but like, you don't think we would think that without nicknames?)... hey whatever causes guys to buy in, I guess. :suds:

Norton's EOTG column is still the holy grail for me... and enjoy his notepad article as well. From dynasty rankings to the additional IDP coverge, my hat's off to Joe and FBG's last year and this.

That said... FBG's has done a great job improving their IDP coverage the last 2 years. Bringing Gary Davenport onboard alone, has made a big difference. Maybe it is just me, but the apparent need to call one 'the Guru' and the other 'the Godfather' always strikes me oddly unnecessary (we get it, they are good at IDP info... but like, you don't think we would think that without nicknames?)... hey whatever causes guys to buy in, I guess. :suds:

Norton's EOTG column is still the holy grail for me... and enjoy his notepad article as well. From dynasty rankings to the additional IDP coverge, my hat's off to Joe and FBG's last year and this.
Totally agree it has gotten much better for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread