What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (3 Viewers)

I was shocked at how little pressure San Francisco was getting on Hurts for most of the game, was that because your dope offensive line or was it because San Francisco focused on stopping the pass?
They may have only gotten a few sacks but they got the most pressures of Jalen's career. Their game plan was perfect.

Really? I was in the middle of replacing my water heater, so the game was just kind of a on in the background, but it seemed like he had all day back there.

I was shocked at how little pressure San Francisco was getting on Hurts for most of the game, was that because your dope offensive line or was it because San Francisco focused on stopping the pass?
It was by design.

Link

The strategy centered on preventing Hurts from picking up big yards with his legs, and that meant rushing him in a disciplined fashion. The 49ers voluntarily gave Hurts more time to throw, gambling that the pros of showing pass-rushing restraint — choking off QB running lanes — would outweigh the obvious cons in coverage.

It was definitely an assignment-focused game,” said 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa. “We had to make Jalen focus on the rush instead of looking downfield and we knew that was the key to the game. So our whole mentality was: we’re not trying to set the record on sacks. We’re trying to close the pocket, we’re trying to get his eyes on us.”

The results spoke for themselves. The Eagles, who entered ranked No. 4 in offensive DVOA, managed only 12 points before the game was effectively out of reach. Philadelphia didn’t turn the ball over. Instead, the 49ers slowly squeezed the most explosive potential out of the Eagles, overwhelming them with a season-high 46 pressures that came from all directions.

Hurts finished with just 20 rushing yards on seven attempts. In total, Philadelphia rushed for only 46 yards on 18 carries (2.6 yards per carry), which made for their worst performance on the ground this season

They may have only gotten a few sacks but they got the most pressures of Jalen's career. Their game plan was perfect.

Really? I was in the middle of replacing my water heater, so the game was just kind of a on in the background, but it seemed like he had all day back there.
On the minimal plays where they DIDN'T get pressure, they had our WRs blanketed. Some of that is the slow developing routes we insist on calling, but no, they stuck it to us.

On the minimal plays where they DIDN'T get pressure, they had our WRs blanketed. Some of that is the slow developing routes we insist on calling, but no, they stuck it to us.
It seem like when you threw the slant it was unstoppable. I think it’s the most unstoppable passing play in all of football but teams don’t use it as much anymore.

In the Eagles two losses this year:

Dropbacks: 101
RB carries: 23
This right here. Swift getting 6 carries last game, just can't do this kind of stuff.
Just to expand on this and continue my rant on the lack of a running game...

We have, what we are told by everyone, one of the best O-lines in the league. Its well known that offensive linemen would rather run block than pass block.
We have a play, in the Brotherly-shove, that is just about a guaranteed conversion from 2 yards in. That basically means you are always starting at first and 8. You have three downs to get 8 yards.

Why on earth you don't automatically go run, run on first and second downs is beyond me. Like EVERY ****ING TIME! It might be predictable, but what we are doing now is completely predictable. Below is a prediction of at least 5 different drives this coming Sunday:

1. First and ten, shotgun, slow developing routes, Jalen breaks out of the pocket and runs to his left, looks...looks....throws it away.
  2. Second and ten, shotgun, quick pass behind the line of scrimmage that gets blown up for a loss.
  3. Third and twelve, deep pass to AJ Brown, who is triple-covered...drop.
  4. Fourth down punt.

Get back to ****ing basics. This team is best when it establishes the run because it can convert on third or fourth and short. Running the ball showcases what your Oline does best. It wears down the defense so you can take some strikes later in the game to really lengthen a lead. It keeps the opposing offense off the field, which will be imperative this Sunday night and most importantly it keeps our "defense" on the sidelines where they can't do damage to our chances of winning.

None of this is complicated. We don't need to do the smoke and mirror looks and motions that SF did to us. Just run the ball at them. Use Swift more. Use Gainwell if you have to. Use Boston. Run Jalen. These guys just try to get too smart or too cute and before you know it we're digging ourselves out of a hole. The Oline we have, plus the running QB that we have, plus the playmaker in Swift at RB, plus the fact that they can convert 4th and 2 at about a 92% clip all make it aal-to-obvious that we should be run heavy. But instead we run ALL RBS 9 times last week.

I just don't get it.
Yeah man. Its just completely uncreative at all. And drives me as well as a lot of us insane. Every damn game, they start with pass/pass/pass. Like they never even really try to run it until the 3rd or 4th drive. What drives me crazier is we actually DID WHAT WE WANTED against Minnesota early in the season and for whatever reason forgot about that game.

It seem like when you threw the slant it was unstoppable. I think it’s the most unstoppable passing play in all of football but teams don’t use it as much anymore.
100% agree. I was screaming at the tv to just have AJ run a slant every time until they stop it. They just gave up on it just like the run. Its mindboggling.

Yeah I agree with this take. Its such an obvious play to call. And the advent of "Non stop Shotgun" pass plays (you guys do this less than most I believe) really kinda makes things too predictable in my eyes. Running the ball from shotgun to me is not as effective as the old school QB behind center stuff and it certainly isn't as effective in play actions plays.

Brian Johnson just hasn't been it this year. The scheme is too simple and predictable, he hasn't found ways to get Jalen on good QB runs, etc. Its just relying on the talent way way too much.

And with that said, yeah the Offensive line just isn't playing that great this year overall either.

Yeah I agree with this take. Its such an obvious play to call. And the advent of "Non stop Shotgun" pass plays (you guys do this less than most I believe) really kinda makes things too predictable in my eyes. Running the ball from shotgun to me is not as effective as the old school QB behind center stuff and it certainly isn't as effective in play actions plays.

Brian Johnson just hasn't been it this year. The scheme is too simple and predictable, he hasn't found ways to get Jalen on good QB runs, etc. Its just relying on the talent way way too much.

And with that said, yeah the Offensive line just isn't playing that great this year overall either.
watching the game last night this just kept ringing in the back of my head. that's what a scheme can do for a young QB (Cinci), so why can't we scheme for one of the best QBs in the league!

watching the game last night this just kept ringing in the back of my head. that's what a scheme can do for a young QB (Cinci), so why can't we scheme for one of the best QBs in the league!

They don't RPO anymore, this was a money play for Hurts. But under Johnson, they've all but eliminated it.

I'm also surprised they continue to use Gainwell. He's JAG. At least with Penny, he has a different running style than Swift. Maybe get a thunder and lightning thing going. Penny's lack of use (though I predicted it in the Penny thread) is really surprising, even to me. In the offseason, the Eagles need to get a guy to be the guy in the backfield. Enough of Gainwell, he looks like he's running in sand.

We agree wholeheartedly. I HATE the shotgun formation unless it’s 100% obviously a passing down.

I have also heard the same thing/conspiracy theory from my Eagles friends IRL about saving Penny for the playoffs.

It sounds great in theory however, it seems even the most unorthodox NFL coaches aren’t this… smart/clever.

I have also heard the same thing/conspiracy theory from my Eagles friends IRL about saving Penny for the playoffs.

It sounds great in theory however, it seems even the most unorthodox NFL coaches aren’t this… smart/clever.
Yea there's no chance that's what they're doing lol. They're just not high on him.

I just count my lucky stars every day that you guys didn’t get Derrick Henry behind that line. I don’t know what Tennessee wanted, but it would’ve been worth it.

ETA- that might’ve been so much football candy for me that I might’ve rooted for you guys!

Yea there's no chance that's what they're doing lol. They're just not high on him.
Penny was a guy they signed thinking they could use him up and send him off. Then they made a trade for swift about 2 months after that. So penny was expendable. Surprised they didn't just cut him after camp though.

I just count my lucky stars every day that you guys didn’t get Derrick Henry behind that line. I don’t know what Tennessee wanted, but it would’ve been worth it.

ETA- that might’ve been so much football candy for me that I might’ve rooted for you guys!
From what I understand the ownership just wasn't going to trade him. I thought I saw something where they had a trade agreed with the Ravens* and the ownership vetoed it.

in a vacuum it would have been a move for sure, but overall we just weren't going to pay 2nd/3rd round compensation to get him b/c team philosophy.

Penny was a guy they signed thinking they could use him up and send him off. Then they made a trade for swift about 2 months after that. So penny was expendable. Surprised they didn't just cut him after camp though.
He costs almost nothing, otherwise I think they would.

Hurts seemed like he had time all game but no one was getting open. Instead of running though he held it and held it and held it. Cost us early.

Yeah he should have ran it constantly

Hurts seemed like he had time all game but no one was getting open. Instead of running though he held it and held it and held it. Cost us early.

Yeah he should have ran it constantly
I think if he wants to run it's when he's flushed and has a chance to get 10 yards. He rarely takes the easy 3-5 yards if he's not moved out of the pocket.

100% agree. I was screaming at the tv to just have AJ run a slant every time until they stop it. They just gave up on it just like the run. Its mindboggling.

It's fixed

I think it was lane control. They were super disciplined maintaining rush lanes. WHile Hurts had time, he didn't escape and run wild either

NO....the total number of pressures was inflated by how long Hurts was holding it. He had time

never thought the defense would actually get worse after getting rid of gannon. it has. at least we got lots of sacks last year. its the same crap defense from last year that gives up 3rd downs and never gets turnovers except less sacks. like alot less.

It this Fangio scheme defense it sucks. They also didn’t do much to improve the D other then draft a few guys projected to be good but you also need to inject talent now

never thought the defense would actually get worse after getting rid of gannon. it has. at least we got lots of sacks last year. its the same crap defense from last year that gives up 3rd downs and never gets turnovers except less sacks. like alot less.

What’s funny (but not) is that most of the media and fanbase were quiet or even praising Desai until this last game, yet:

Eagles defense is the 6th worst in the league, based on EPA per play.

2nd worst since week 4.
I’ve been calling it out all season

Pass protection has been an underrated issue for Eagles

OLine is 28th in hurries & 24th in total pressures allowed

Hurts has allowed the most pressure among QBs, per PFF

Together they are 21st in sacks allowed. Only team in bottom 12 projected to make playoffs
He’s also holding onto the ball longer this season then last. Holding onto the ball longer then 5 secs and not doing anything usually has bad results

So after all that, it was between Dallas and the Eagles, we get our asses kicked and he goes "Dallas are frauds I know it, better sign with a real team"

LOL

He wants playing time. If you watched his tape, he wouldn’t of stepped on the field for us. You guys are not gonna be happy with him either. He’s washed.
Yah well our LBs are not great and the depth is even worse. Can't be any worse.

And you guys signed Rashaan Evans for depth after we cut him from our abysmal LB corps and also hosted Leonard.

So, OK.

This right here. Swift getting 6 carries last game, just can't do this kind of stuff.

We have, what we are told by everyone, one of the best O-lines in the league. Its well known that offensive linemen would rather run block than pass block.
We have a play, in the Brotherly-shove, that is just about a guaranteed conversion from 2 yards in. That basically means you are always starting at first and 8. You have three downs to get 8 yards.

Why on earth you don't automatically go run, run on first and second downs is beyond me. Like EVERY ****ING TIME! It might be predictable, but what we are doing now is completely predictable. Below is a prediction of at least 5 different drives this coming Sunday:

1. First and ten, shotgun, slow developing routes, Jalen breaks out of the pocket and runs to his left, looks...looks....throws it away.
  2. Second and ten, shotgun, quick pass behind the line of scrimmage that gets blown up for a loss.
  4. Fourth down punt.

Get back to ****ing basics. This team is best when it establishes the run because it can convert on third or fourth and short. Running the ball showcases what your Oline does best. It wears down the defense so you can take some strikes later in the game to really lengthen a lead. It keeps the opposing offense off the field, which will be imperative this Sunday night and most importantly it keeps our "defense" on the sidelines where they can't do damage to our chances of winning.

None of this is complicated. We don't need to do the smoke and mirror looks and motions that SF did to us. Just run the ball at them. Use Swift more. Use Gainwell if you have to. Use Boston. Run Jalen. These guys just try to get too smart or too cute and before you know it we're digging ourselves out of a hole. The Oline we have, plus the running QB that we have, plus the playmaker in Swift at RB, plus the fact that they can convert 4th and 2 at about a 92% clip all make it aal-to-obvious that we should be run heavy. But instead we run ALL RBS 9 times last week.

I just don't get it.
maybe your head coach just isn’t a very good coach 🤷🏻‍♂️

So after all that, it was between Dallas and the Eagles, we get our asses kicked and he goes "Dallas are frauds I know it, better sign with a real team"

LOL

He wants playing time. If you watched his tape, he wouldn’t of stepped on the field for us. You guys are not gonna be happy with him either. He’s washed.

And you guys signed Rashaan Evans for depth after we cut him from our abysmal LB corps and also hosted Leonard.

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
He has won 33 games in 2.5 seasons. So he's doing something right.

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
He has the 4th highest winning % of all time

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
My bad. I guess I was wrong. It happens

I would think if he was that good he would realize they should be running the football more. I mean, I know they should and I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed …

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
The Cowboys have the second winningest percentage of all time. (Behind GB).

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
And they’ve played a few more games than Coach Sirianni

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.

Come to think of it…. He does have a penchant for losing the big games……

:stirspot:

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
That's cool but Nick is still coaching and Tom Landry and Randy White aren't on the team anymore. But feel free to brag about legacy and the past. Ain't gonna help you on Sunday.

What’s funny (but not) is that most of the media and fanbase were quiet or even praising Desai until this last game, yet:

Eagles defense is the 6th worst in the league, based on EPA per play.

2nd worst since week 4.
I’ve been calling it out all season

I mean he has no safeties, no linebackers and cornerbacks who are ready to become members of AARP. They lost too many players on defense in the offseason and the guys they replaced them with aren't as good. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. This offseason, the entire secondary needs an overhaul and suspect Howie is going to do it.

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
I think he is very good, but your point is valid. Maybe they are winning in spite of Nick. If they come out to a bunch of 7 step drops and deep routes the first drive I’ll start leaning towards your contention.

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.

Come to think of it…. He does have a penchant for losing the big games……

:stirspot:

I like you. The game should be good....

LOL

So, OK.

4. Fourth down punt.

I just don't get it.
That's cool but Nick is still coaching and Tom Landry and Randy White aren't on the team anymore. But feel free to brag about legacy and the past. Ain't gonna help you on Sunday.
Why the immediate trip to deploy the defense shields EVERYTIME?

Why can no one that doesn’t root for them question anything the eagles do?

Not gonna lie, it’s weird dude

You don’t have to answer

LOL

He wants playing time. If you watched his tape, he wouldn’t have stepped on the field for us. You guys are not gonna be happy with him either. He’s washed.
When I heard he was such a liability in coverage that he was reduced to a two down backer; then he even admitted that he was then pulled to just playing on first down, I wasn’t crazy about having him at all. Visions of Jaylon Smith making tackles 10 yards down the field came back to haunt. No thanks. No need for a first down only LB.

LOL

He wants playing time. If you watched his tape, he wouldn’t have stepped on the field for us. You guys are not gonna be happy with him either. He’s washed.
When I heard he was such a liability in coverage that he was reduced to a two down backer; then he even admitted that he was then pulled to just playing on first down, I wasn’t crazy about having him at all. Visions of Jaylon Smith making tackles 10 yards down the field came back to haunt. No thanks. No need for a first down only LB.

I mean, the Eagles are playing with Christian Elliss at LB, he's a special teams player playing LB. So to get someone in there that is at least viable in some facet of the position is better than what they're trotting out there currently.

I'm not so sure Eagles will win this week. Cowboys with extra rest at home where they've dominated?

I know the haters (mostly Cowboys and Niners fans) are gonna be piling on, but loses like these under situations like these don't define a team.

I think one of two things happens...Eagles lose this week and get right against Seattle, OR
Eagles win a tough emotional game this week, and let down again in Seattle.

Either way I think we win one and lose one of these next two before getting really right in the last three weeks. I know which scenario I'd prefer. Either way, the sky is not falling. This is still a deep playoff caliber team

it seems like we should lose pretty badly. but these games vs dallas are hardly ever one sided. i think its a close one score game. i know we dont have a good record in seattle, but they really dont impress me. we should win that game

if we want to talk positives from the last game too, i think we have to be thankful with how the team has reacted to the game. i don't want to point fingers or make any assumptions, but something tells me other teams would be moaning and whining the whole time about how they played 3 tough games in 13 days against a team with 10 days rest. They would point to other excuses like the nagging injuries the team has, etc., but luckily the team just admits to getting their butt kicked and moves on to this week.

it is refreshing of a response.

I'm not so sure Eagles will win this week. Cowboys with extra rest at home where they've dominated?

I know the haters (mostly Cowboys and Niners fans) are gonna be piling on, but loses like these under situations like these don't define a team.

I think one of two things happens...Eagles lose this week and get right against Seattle, OR

Either way I think we win one and lose one of these next two before getting really right in the last three weeks. I know which scenario I'd prefer. Either way, the sky is not falling. This is still a deep playoff caliber team
I think we win both. They will be ready to get the bad taste out of their mouth in this one. Against Seattle they may be down a bit but have enough to overcome and win ugly.

The Cowboys dominated all the bad teams. Gotta give them Credit. But Seattle? Geno Smith hasn't been anything close to what he was last year. Came into the game with 12 total touchdowns, left the game with 16. So 25% of his entire year's production of touchdowns came against the Cowboys. A defense that is allegedly dominant. I dunno, I have a feeling the Cowboys are a tad "fraud" worthy if you will, similar to what people tried to say about us last year. Haven't played really anyone and when they played any teams close to good they either lost or ya know, surely didn't blow out the team.

Eagles win this one.

Brock Purdy when Blitzed Sunday:
10-10 for 213 yards and 3 TDs.

Brock Purdy when not blitzed Sunday:
9-17 for 101 yards and 1 TD, 2 throwaways, 2 sacks.

This is not an anomaly. On the season the Eagles defense ranks 16th in EPA/Play and 13th in success rate when rushing 4 or less.

When blitzing the defense ranks 32nd in EPA/Play and 31st in success rate.

The Cowboys dominated all the bad teams. Gotta give them Credit. But Seattle? Geno Smith hasn't been anything close to what he was last year. Came into the game with 12 total touchdowns, left the game with 16. So 25% of his entire year's production of touchdowns came against the Cowboys. A defense that is allegedly dominant. I dunno, I have a feeling the Cowboys are a tad "fraud" worthy if you will, similar to what people tried to say about us last year. Haven't played really anyone and when they played any teams close to good they either lost or ya know, surely didn't blow out the team.

Eagles win this one.
lol, I am still shell-shocked from the 49ers game. I know we completely played into their strengths (49ers are a front runner, and the whole team and scheme is designed to play with a lead), but this game will be tough for sure. Really have a hard tie predicting a score, though i have to think the game goes over

Brock Purdy when Blitzed Sunday:
10-10 for 213 yards and 3 TDs.

Brock Purdy when not blitzed Sunday:
9-17 for 101 yards and 1 TD, 2 throwaways, 2 sacks.

This is not an anomaly. On the season the Eagles defense ranks 16th in EPA/Play and 13th in success rate when rushing 4 or less.

When blitzing the defense ranks 32nd in EPA/Play and 31st in success rate.
Its funny b/c you still have a large % of the fanbase that WANTS AGGRESSIVE JIM JOHNSON BLITZING DEFENSE

and then this is the results of that.

Really feel we just really really were gassed and what can you really do about that, but maybe send some extra blitzers.

Purdy processes very fast and again, I'll beat the drum on this forever, you HAVE to challenge him to beat you deep and intermediate. Press the guys for the first 5/10 yards, see what he can do.

But that game is over, maybe we see them again, maybe we don't.

Dallas is a tad different. Dak WILL hold the ball and try to find someone. I swear, if we have Eli Ricks on the slot merchant Lamb I will be losing my mind lol.

Really hope Goedert can get back in there for a revenge game.

I think most fans would like good blitzes. It is hard when the LBs are practice squad players though. Dean not staying healthy/being good really hurt them there.

Users who are viewing this thread