What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (1 Viewer)

Genuine question:

Why sign Slay, or heck, even Cox over Gardner? I don’t get it.
Because he took too long to decide.
I think they would have signed Gardner over them...but when he didnt take the Eagles initial offerings, they moved on. By the time he realized he wasnt getting the multi year contract he wanted, the Eagles had already spent the money they would have allocated for him. There's also a lot less cap flexibility in one year deals - multi year deals you spread out the hit, Howie adds extra years to spread out the bonus, etc.. If its a straight one year deal it's harder to fit. So once the Eagles had moved on, he had to too.
This in part to me, is why they definitely got Slay back 100%. Probably that day Howie made the executive decision "CJ ain't coming back, but I *will not* lose this entire secondary this offseason" Made some shrewd moves and negotiating tactics, but in the end, what was best for the team. And that was not to gamble that CJ would finally come to his senses.

Genuine question:

It's simply team philosophy really. The Birds value the Defensive Line and Cornerbacks above all other positions outside of QB. Cox is a team leader, and there really isn't a replacement for him on the roster at the moment. Cox is a team leader and a big voice in the locker room, an Eagles legend and possible Hall of Famer. Also he had 7 sacks last year, which only 6 other DT's had at least or more. One was on our roster last year in Hargrave. CJ, as much as I personally loved him due to his playmaking and personality, PFF had him ranked in the 50's for safety play last year, for what value you put in their grading, if any, or a lot. Howie always has a backup plan, but he likes going into the draft without a glaring need, and if we had NOT signed Cox, it was a pretty big need going into the draft.

Kevin Byard is a name to watch now. Philly native, just cut. Played with AJ Brown, so he can give a good pitch on our culture here to him.
It’s hard to disagree with that premise or philosophy. I share that same view as a fan for Dallas and always want them to build from the lines out and at other premium positions.

However, how old is Cox now - gotta be getting up there. I don’t pretend to know your depth chart intimately. So, maybe Cox was more valuable?

With both Dallas and the Giants fortifying their pass games - you can’t be happy seeing a quality starter in your secondary depart.

I do think it’s also fair to say that your GM should get the benefit of the doubt. He’s done nice work.

…but I personally would have been angry losing this player.

Appreciate all who answered my question.

Not sure how much of that is spin, as they certainly could have matched the DET offer after Slay restructured.
Eagles can't match the offer with $1.2 mill in cap space.
Bad timing. Once C.J knew he wasn't getting his bigger bag of cash, Howie had moved on.
Howie had a plan on spending and was on a tight budget AND timeline. The Eagles had a lot of
free agents ranked in the top 50 and are going to lose a few.

That $1.2M isn't accurate. Slay's reworked deal isn't updated at OTC yet, which alone would open up enough, but they also still haven't converted Lane's base yet which is inevitable and will be for signing the draft picks, some vets still to come (including a Safety), room for Jalen's new deal for whatever hit they want/need to take in 2023, and their usual $4-$5M they leave open for unexpected injuries/signings during the season (that they can carry over if unused).

Bottom line, the DET deal CJGJ got could have been matched. Why they didn't want to (or he didn't want it?) is the real story.

Last edited:
The Occam's Razor answer: Eagles wanted to lock him up to both have him here for at least 2 more years, maybe a 3rd, under a team/cap friendly structure that paid him market value and that's where they drew the line. CJGJ and his camp didn't like where the market is right now and preferred to take a risk rather than lock in for what they believe is below his value.

Neither is right/wrong. They just had different objectives on what was in their best interest. :shrug:

Genuine question:

It's simply team philosophy really. The Birds value the Defensive Line and Cornerbacks above all other positions outside of QB. Cox is a team leader, and there really isn't a replacement for him on the roster at the moment. Cox is a team leader and a big voice in the locker room, an Eagles legend and possible Hall of Famer. Also he had 7 sacks last year, which only 6 other DT's had at least or more. One was on our roster last year in Hargrave. CJ, as much as I personally loved him due to his playmaking and personality, PFF had him ranked in the 50's for safety play last year, for what value you put in their grading, if any, or a lot. Howie always has a backup plan, but he likes going into the draft without a glaring need, and if we had NOT signed Cox, it was a pretty big need going into the draft.

Kevin Byard is a name to watch now. Philly native, just cut. Played with AJ Brown, so he can give a good pitch on our culture here to him.
It’s hard to disagree with that premise or philosophy. I share that same view as a fan for Dallas and always want them to build from the lines out and at other premium positions.

However, how old is Cox now - gotta be getting up there. I don’t pretend to know your depth chart intimately. So, maybe Cox was more valuable?

With both Dallas and the Giants fortifying their pass games - you can’t be happy seeing a quality starter in your secondary depart.

I do think it’s also fair to say that your GM should get the benefit of the doubt. He’s done nice work.

Oh. I'm not happy he left, but also, I am being greedy wanting us to re-sign everyone. Before FA started, I posted in here my thoughts on each impending free agent. Was wrong on a lot of them, but the main one I got wrong, which I am glad I did was us "definitely losing Bradberry" I just didn't see a way we were going to keep a 29 year old guy coming off an All Pro season looking for his last big paycheck. Somehow Howie worked that out. So in the end, I was expecting us to lose at least 1 of either Bradberry or CJ, and at the time when I thought that was a no brainer to losing JB, I focused on keeping CJ. He's a great player and all, but hindsight 20/20, I'm pretty ecstatic we have the 2 CB's that have the most PBU's in the NFL since 2016 returning. Howie will figure something out. Again.

Genuine question:

I haven't seen any news that Byard has been released, only that he was unhappy with his contract. Byard would be a big upgrade from CJGJ. He'd be the best Safety in the NFC if Philly got him.

Genuine question:

I haven't seen any news that Byard has been released, only that he was unhappy with his contract. Byard would be a big upgrade from CJGJ. He'd be the best Safety in the NFC if Philly got him.
He is not released yet, but they asked him to take a paycut and he declined. Movement is expected. Titans are cleaning house and releasing a lot of players this season. He has not requested a trade, but at 29 years old, the rumor mill is expecting him to ultimately be released.

Genuine question:

Ya I don't think any of us are genuinely happy he's gone. I wanted him back, we all wanted him back. Something weird there as yes, we could have matched that. We didn't give him what he wanted though and he wanted out. Big shoes to fill for sure.

Genuine question:

Ya I don't think any of us are genuinely happy he's gone. I wanted him back, we all wanted him back. Something weird there as yes, we could have matched that. We didn't give him what he wanted though and he wanted out. Big shoes to fill for sure.

Can't sign everybody. The tweet from CJGJ's agency was pretty telling. They turned down a 3yr, 24M deal where 17M+ was in year 3. If that's what Howie offered, he shouldn't have been surprised CJGJ turned it down.

Eagles should spend one of their first rounders on secondary, either CB or S.

Genuine question:

Can't sign everybody. The tweet from CJGJ's agency was pretty telling. They turned down a 3yr, 24M deal where 17M+ was in year 3. If that's what Howie offered, he shouldn't have been surprised CJGJ turned it down.

GTD money is GTD money. To each their own. I'm not sure I believe the tweet 100% to be an accurate depiction of the contract. Weird flex by an agent to do something like that, when he obviously had given his client bad advice leading up to this moment.

With CJGJ, I agree it is a little rough he couldn’t come back, but to be honest there are a lot of good safeties out there that the Eagles can get. For me, I would love a trade with Carolina for Jeremy Chinn who apparently may be available. I’d say:

Jeremy Chinn

For

Quez Watkins
Late 2024 pick

Not sure Howie values the S position all like that but Brian Branch is a better version of CJGJ. Might be there at 10

Not sure Howie values the S position all like that but Brian Branch is a better version of CJGJ. Might be there at 10
Not that mocks mean everything, but in the 4 big ones today, he went 17, 21, 21, 23.

Would be a big trade back (or trade up) situation if we got him I'd say.
I think it would have to be a trade back, and only if the top D-linemen are gone.

Not that mocks mean everything, but in the 4 big ones today, he went 17, 21, 21, 23.

I think it would have to be a trade back, and only if the top D-linemen are gone.
So who are we realistically looking at here if we stay put at 10?

Gone for sure before us:

Stroud
Young
Anderson

Pretty sure gone before us:
Levis
Richardson
Carter (if he drops, this should be automatic for us)
Wilson (if he drops, this should be automatic for us)

That leaves 3 picks before us. Some possible guys going around that spot:
CB Gonzalez (probably not anymore now that we have Slay/Bradberry)
CB WItherspoon (probably not anymore now that we have Slay/Bradberry)

EDGE Van Ness (rreal possibility but I'd prefer to trade back a touch if that's the case)
EDGE Murphy (real possibility but I'd prefer to trade back a touch if that's the case)

OT Paris Johnson (maybe since we lost Isaac?... also could trade back though if going OL unless we totally love him)
OT Skoronski (maybe since we lost Isaac?... also could trade back though if going OL unless we totally love him)
OT Jones (maybe since we lost Isaac?... also could trade back though if going OL unless we totally love him)

WR Smith-Njgba (flying up boards.... def not a need at all for us though right?)
RB Bijan (no. Just no.)

No one else is hitting even the top 15 with any consistency. IF we stay at 10 (starting to think it's unlikely), who is your pick from that list? (or someone else)

Eagles 2023-24 Starting Lineup so far:

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: Kenneth Gainwell/ Rashaad Penny
WR: AJ Brown
WR: DeVonta Smith
WR: Quez Watkins
TE: Dallas Goedert
LT: Jordan Mailata
LG: Landon Dickerson
C: Jason Kelce
RG: Cam Jurgens/ Jack Driscoll
RT: Lane Johnson

DE: Josh Sweat/ Brandon Graham
DT: Milton Williams
NT: Jordan Davis
DT: Fletcher Cox
Rusher: Hasson Reddick
MLB: Shaun Bradley
WLB: Nakobe Dean
LCB: Darius Slay
RCB: James Bradberry
Slot: Avonte Maddox
SS: Greedy Williams
FS: Reed Blankenship

So who are we realistically looking at here if we stay put at 10?

Gone for sure before us:

Stroud
Young
Anderson

Pretty sure gone before us:
Levis
Richardson
Carter (if he drops, this should be automatic for us)
Wilson (if he drops, this should be automatic for us)

That leaves 3 picks before us. Some possible guys going around that spot:
CB Gonzalez (probably not anymore now that we have Slay/Bradberry)
CB WItherspoon (probably not anymore now that we have Slay/Bradberry)

EDGE Van Ness (rreal possibility but I'd prefer to trade back a touch if that's the case)
EDGE Murphy (real possibility but I'd prefer to trade back a touch if that's the case)

OT Paris Johnson (maybe since we lost Isaac?... also could trade back though if going OL unless we totally love him)
OT Skoronski (maybe since we lost Isaac?... also could trade back though if going OL unless we totally love him)
OT Jones (maybe since we lost Isaac?... also could trade back though if going OL unless we totally love him)

WR Smith-Njgba (flying up boards.... def not a need at all for us though right?)
RB Bijan (no. Just no.)

No one else is hitting even the top 15 with any consistency. IF we stay at 10 (starting to think it's unlikely), who is your pick from that list? (or someone else)
Since Chicago picks right before you guys, I've been looking at the top ten pretty hard.
I think the top 4 QBs go. Too many teams need them. Stroud and Young are going 1-2. I get a weird feeling the Raiders take Richardson. Levis probably goes to Indy.
Will Anderson is a goner too, probably to Seattle.
I believe Detroit takes Wilson and ATL takes a OT.
Figure a CB goes in there as well.
I can't nail down Arizona. I'm not sure why, but I can see them trading down a bit and taking a wild card pick like Jaxon Smith-Njigba . Whoever trades up is obviously taking a qb.

Reportedly 1 year up to $8m. Looks like he felt slighted by Eagles offer cause it couldn't have been that much less than that.
The fact we didn’t match is more telling. Loved him while he was here but there’s more to this story.

Apparently he turned down a 3 yrs deal from DGunn. I also heard we could've matched him and a few others but didn't or guys chose elsewhere. A few of the players were upset with the Desai hire and Wilson not getting the DC Job. It also sounds like CJ's agency is trying to act like this was the best deal out there and running back on quotes. Talked to 2 former players today who said the Agency tweeting what they are is a sign of "we know we ****ed up but we can't admit we Rickover our client." CYA type stuff. CJ should've been extended the minute he got here or at least midseason.

As his or Epps replacement we signed injury Prone Josh Evans who's missed almost as many games in the last 3 seasons as Ben Simmons. So he'll probably be hurt in Training camp and not play a single down for us.

Wow that blows. How would he not take that from us?

@The Noid might be right and he might have been mad about us moving him to S. Definitely more going on to it than simply money, cause have to think Howie would have found a way to get him 8M for 1 year.

Wonder if we should have franchised him in hindsight (though he prob wouldn't have been happy with that... but if he's taking 1/8 anyways, whats even the S Franchise dollar amount anyways?
Franchise tag woulda been 14 mil I think

That's literally Fletcher Cox deal for 1 yr. At this point who would you rather have? Young Safety close to his prime or old Fletcher Cox on the downhill of his career? Look I love Fletch but it's time to move on from the older players especially those not producing. At least you can argue BG and Kelce staying Productivity but the only excuse for Cox is how thin we are at DT and DL right now. At the sometime we've lost both our safeties and one of the replacements just signed is a guy who keeps the medical and training staff paid the whole year.

Genuine question:

Thats a question going around. Slay's play went downhill last Half of the year and guys his age at his position decline fast. Franchising CJ is essentially Cox deal.

Genuine question:

Cox is 32. No offense but neither Jones or Prescott really scare me in the passing game Waller is nice but that's when he's healthy and the last 2 yrs he's barely played missing almost a full season total in the last 2 yrs. Dal added Cook? The same guy Jenkins dropped dead in the SB and pouted his way out of HOU instead of being a professional? Don't see much of an upgrade here for either side honestly. Both QBs are overpaid and will make it harder to upgrade their rosters in other areas. The secondary losses do hurt but honestly there's better QBs they will face this year I'm more scared of in Allen and Mahomes

Since Chicago picks right before you guys, I've been looking at the top ten pretty hard.
I think the top 4 QBs go. Too many teams need them. Stroud and Young are going 1-2. I get a weird feeling the Raiders take Richardson. Levis probably goes to Indy.
Will Anderson is a goner too, probably to Seattle.
I believe Detroit takes Wilson and ATL takes a OT.
Figure a CB goes in there as well.
I can't nail down Arizona. I'm not sure why, but I can see them trading down a bit and taking a wild card pick like Jaxon Smith-Njigba . Whoever trades up is obviously taking a qb.
Good breakdown.

So let's say (in no particular order) it goes:

Stroud
Youmg
Richardson
Levis
Anderson
Wilson
OT
Gonzalez
That leaves you guys then us. I think you're convinced you'd jump on Carter in that scenario right? That would really put us in a bad spot and guarantee us that we should trade back (if we find a partner that is). I think Carter may go earlier than that though, which means Carter+Anderson+Wilson+4 QBS+OL ATL + CB is a pretty clear top 9. 9 is so much better than 10 in this draft if it goes chalk like that (prob won't I guess)

Genuine question:

That's the agency making a CYA. Everyone I've talked to in the business have said they've never even heard a deal like this before. I talked to my good buddy Anthony Becht briefly today and he called what the agency did Horse **** and CJ should be firing his agents and looking else where. From the sounds of his press conference there doesn't seem to be any Bad blood from CJ's part on the Eagles and said a ton of nice things. The agents ****ed up it sounds like what it came down too.

Genuine question:

GTD money is GTD money. To each their own. I'm not sure I believe the tweet 100% to be an accurate depiction of the contract. Weird flex by an agent to do something like that, when he obviously had given his client bad advice leading up to this moment.

This is more a CYA by the agency then anything. Hope enough people believe their ********. Like I said everyone who I've talked too who have dealt with contracts before said they've never heard anything like that before.

CJ's agent shouldn't see a nickel of that contract. That dude botched this in every possible way he could have.
Everyone I've talked too basically said he should fire them and look else where. Wouldn't be surprised during the season or prior to FA next year he fires them. The good thing is it's a one year deal unless he extends in Debt we might have a chance to resign him again possible

Wow that blows. How would he not take that from us?

@The Noid might be right and he might have been mad about us moving him to S. Definitely more going on to it than simply money, cause have to think Howie would have found a way to get him 8M for 1 year.

Wonder if we should have franchised him in hindsight (though he prob wouldn't have been happy with that... but if he's taking 1/8 anyways, whats even the S Franchise dollar amount anyways?
Franchise tag woulda been 14 mil I think

That's literally Fletcher Cox deal for 1 yr. At this point who would you rather have? Young Safety close to his prime or old Fletcher Cox on the downhill of his career? Look I love Fletch but it's time to move on from the older players especially those not producing. At least you can argue BG and Kelce staying Productivity but the only excuse for Cox is how thin we are at DT and DL right now. At the sometime we've lost both our safeties and one of the replacements just signed is a guy who keeps the medical and training staff paid the whole year.
I agree a bit with Cox overpay, but in truth it is likely just a 1-year contract so should open up at least 10 million for eagles next year. Allows Howie to negotiate with players during the year with idea that that money is pretty guaranteed to be there at season’s end

I wonder if there is any intention of moving Maddox back to safety. I would have to watch some of that old tape but I think he can handle either position if needed. Wonder if that would open the door to draft a CB at 10 if they’re and stick them in the slot (or move some guys around) and get him in some nickel packages.

The more I think about this, the more I think it would be a dream scenario to trade down AND up. If it goes Chalk, then the player at 10 isn't going to be much better than the player at 15 anyways. And if we can move up from 30 to 20 (totally hypothetically picking numbers out of a hat- but we might just be able to straight up use the picks we acquired to move back, to move up), and draft Branch there, that would be great.

Not sure what the "pick value" model would say, but would 10+30 be about the same as 15+20?

The more I think about this, the more I think it would be a dream scenario to trade down AND up. If it goes Chalk, then the player at 10 isn't going to be much better than the player at 15 anyways. And if we can move up from 30 to 20 (totally hypothetically picking numbers out of a hat- but we might just be able to straight up use the picks we acquired to move back, to move up), and draft Branch there, that would be great.

Not sure what the "pick value" model would say, but would 10+30 be about the same as 15+20?
Yeah I'm starting to think the same, and since the NFL and other teams are clearly colluding to stop the Eagles (Super Bowl GrassGate + Trying to cancel the push the tush play that cannot be stopped/should be outlawed), I'm starting to think the player or 2 that *most definitely* would make us an unfair team like Carter, Anderson or Wilson won't be there, a trade back to 13-18 seems like the best scenario. There we would have further flexibility to really take the remaining BPA, whether that be one of the top CBs (CB is still in play in round 1 IMO) or the safety Branch, or if somehow one of the top 2 OT's are there, which seems unlikely.

My dream is to do all this, get THAT player, hoping its a DT/CB and go back up from 30 into 22-25 to get whichever BPA is there, including Bijan Mustardson.

since the NFL and other teams are clearly colluding to stop the Eagles (Super Bowl GrassGate + Trying to cancel the push the tush play that cannot be stopped/should be outlawed), I'm starting to think the player or 2 that *most definitely* would make us an unfair team like Carter, Anderson or Wilson won't be there
:lmao:
I just might have to temporarily remove some folks from my ignore list just to see the replies from those fans of other teams that come in here to troll and police this thread :popcorn:

I wonder if there is any intention of moving Maddox back to safety. I would have to watch some of that old tape but I think he can handle either position if needed. Wonder if that would open the door to draft a CB at 10 if they’re and stick them in the slot (or move some guys around) and get him in some nickel packages.

I wouldn't team struggled there when he wasn't playing there. Its a short term fix at best

since the NFL and other teams are clearly colluding to stop the Eagles (Super Bowl GrassGate + Trying to cancel the push the tush play that cannot be stopped/should be outlawed), I'm starting to think the player or 2 that *most definitely* would make us an unfair team like Carter, Anderson or Wilson won't be there
:lmao:
I just might have to temporarily remove some folks from my ignore list just to see the replies from those fans of other teams that come in here to troll and police this thread :popcorn:
Haha its all good. Its a funny combo/catch-22 of things

"Eagles were only good b/c they had the easiest schedule of all time" - So if that is the case, why are rivals celebrating us losing players if its just the schedule?

"Loaded roster" So which is it, the easiest schedule of all time or the fact its a loaded roster?

"Hurts still hasn't proven anything yet. NOW, if he can do what he did last year *this* year, I might be convinced" - The Eagles have lost an offensive guard and Zach Pascal on offense so far.

"Push the play is unstoppable" Right that's why just the Eagles are the only team to run it so well, and even when we do with another QB, it doesn't work.

Not all from here, but the theme of "Loaded roster/easiest schedule in history" is a common theme here. Even Joe was on the "Well they had such an easy schedule" even though, ya know the team we demoralized in the NFCCG had the 31st easiest schedule and never ever see anyone mention that.

It's all good and fun, I'm just running with it. I'm sure now that we have a first place schedule this year and when we play teams like the Bucs it'll change again

"WELL TOM BRADY ISN"T THERE ANYMORE"

And we move on!

10 +30 value is 1920.

15 + 20 value is 1900. Would need to add a 5th round pick to even the value out.

since the NFL and other teams are clearly colluding to stop the Eagles (Super Bowl GrassGate + Trying to cancel the push the tush play that cannot be stopped/should be outlawed), I'm starting to think the player or 2 that *most definitely* would make us an unfair team like Carter, Anderson or Wilson won't be there, a trade back to 13-18 seems like the best scenario
Little early in the morning to be drunk ain’t it? Too each their own I guess

Users who are viewing this thread